Forum Settings
Forums

What do you think of the top ten most popular characters of all time on MAL?

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Dec 4, 2013 5:34 AM

Aug 2012
emeraldrosary said:
As of today here is the top ten list

Lamperouge, Lelouch - Pretty BA, but I prefer Light more
Lawliet, L - I didn't like his methods of execution but there's no denying he's enjoyable as a character
Monkey D., Luffy - no comment
Yagami, Light - One of my all time favorite antagonists
Elric, Edward - One of the few protaganists that really connected with me, I really loved him when paired with Vic's voice
Kurosaki, Ichigo - Just watched Bleach last year and I really liked Ichigo's character,
Uzumaki, Naruto - If you had asked me this before shippuden came out I'd say he didn't deserve top 10, but he's much better now.
Roronoa, Zoro - no comment
Sakata, Gintoki - no comment
Suzumiya, Haruhi - Hmm, I didn't really like haruhi that much, I mean sure she's great but top 10 material? I don't think so.
I find it funny that you say "no comment" for one piece characters, but you commented on Ichigo and said he is very good. Classic biased hater
Dec 4, 2013 5:35 AM

Jul 2013
lupadim said:
YukinoAsakura said:
3. Only got to watch the first part of OP (around 11-20eps?) and he didn't seem special at all.
Luffy is not special?

LUFFY IS NOT SPECIAL?
LUFFY IS NOT SPECIAL?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKtkF99jJXY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBKqxbKKXzk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uZFP60n7-0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St7Bl5znqlg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XrO0MFTXUg

HOW IN THE WORLD CAN ONE SAY LUFFY IS NOT SPECIAL?

You have different opinions so stop being a fanboy and forcing your opinions on him.
Dec 4, 2013 5:40 AM

Aug 2012
catnip05 said:
lupadim said:
YukinoAsakura said:
3. Only got to watch the first part of OP (around 11-20eps?) and he didn't seem special at all.
Luffy is not special?

LUFFY IS NOT SPECIAL?
LUFFY IS NOT SPECIAL?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKtkF99jJXY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBKqxbKKXzk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uZFP60n7-0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St7Bl5znqlg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XrO0MFTXUg

HOW IN THE WORLD CAN ONE SAY LUFFY IS NOT SPECIAL?

You have different opinions so stop being a fanboy and forcing your opinions on him.
Luffy being special is not a matter of opinion, there is no way you can say Luffy is not special, it is like saying Albert Einstein is not a genius
Dec 4, 2013 6:00 AM

Jul 2007
As I said, I only watched the first 11-20 episode of a series whose story has more than 600 and even that is only around the half point so barely any character development and characterization was given at that time. Also nothing big happened in those episodes, so, why would I think he is more special than any other shounen MC? I can only give an opinion about what I have saw, maybe he is the best character ever in the future episodes, I have no way to know it, I'm making my opinion based in my knowledge (as I stated, so please calm your inner fanboy and accept others' opinion).

catnip05 said:

*her :'D
Dec 4, 2013 6:01 AM

Aug 2012
YukinoAsakura said:
As I said, I only watched the first 11-20 episode of a series whose story has more than 600 and even that is only around the half point so barely any character development and characterization was given at that time. Also nothing big happened in those episodes, so, why would I think he is more special than any other shounen MC? I can only give an opinion about what I have saw, maybe he is the best character ever in the future episodes, I have no way to know it, I'm making my opinion based in my knowledge (as I stated, so please calm your inner fanboy and accept others' opinion).

catnip05 said:

*her :'D
I don't think you have an opinion if you haven't watched everything.
Dec 4, 2013 6:02 AM
Mar 2013
lupadim said:
emeraldrosary said:

Lawliet, L - I didn't like his methods of execution but there's no denying he's enjoyable as a character
Elric, Edward - One of the few protaganists that really connected with me, I really loved him when paired with Vic's voice
Kurosaki, Ichigo - Just watched Bleach last year and I really liked Ichigo's character,
Uzumaki, Naruto - If you had asked me this before shippuden came out I'd say he didn't deserve top 10, but he's much better now.
Suzumiya, Haruhi - Hmm, I didn't really like haruhi that much, I mean sure she's great but top 10 material? I don't think so.
I find it funny that you say "no comment" for one piece characters, but you commented on Ichigo and said he is very good. Classic biased hater

I said "no comment" because I have never watched One Piece before so I cannot form any opinion on those characters. I do not hate those characters at all.
Dec 4, 2013 6:05 AM

Jul 2007
lupadim said:
I don't think you have an opinion if you haven't watched everything.

And I think you need to check what the word opinion means.
Dec 4, 2013 6:10 AM

Sep 2011
emeraldrosary said:
lupadim said:
emeraldrosary said:

I said "no comment" because I have never watched One Piece before so I cannot form any opinion on those characters. I do not hate those characters at all.
didhe seriously get mad because you described 2 one piece characters in a completely neutral statement?

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 4, 2013 6:17 AM
Mar 2013
JizzyHitler said:
did that guy seriously get mad because you described 2 one piece characters in a completely neutral statement?
Apparently so. I did not intend for him to get angry.

Perhaps I should have clarified I haven't watched One Piece before. Also, I haven't watched Gintama either which is why I wrote "no comment" for Gintoki as well.

Actually, I plan on watching Gintama soon though. I've seen you saying somewhere on another forum that Gintama has a slow start so I'm sort of put off by that. I'm thinking I'll just watch one episode at a time until I feel like hooked on it.
Dec 4, 2013 6:17 AM

Apr 2012
Emnay said:
bunny_lover said:
How can we search for top characters directly on MAL.

Thanks.

Click the industry tab and go to favorites.

THANKS xD
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Dec 4, 2013 6:18 AM

Apr 2012
JizzyHitler said:
emeraldrosary said:
lupadim said:
emeraldrosary said:

didhe seriously get mad because you described 2 one piece characters in a completely neutral statement?

I do not understand in which part did he get mad...

痛就是爱
Dec 4, 2013 6:21 AM

Aug 2012
bunny_lover said:
JizzyHitler said:
emeraldrosary said:
lupadim said:
emeraldrosary said:

"No comments" is a very offensive statement in Brazil. It is like saying "Wow that is so stupid and so wrong I am not even going to say anything"
Dec 4, 2013 6:21 AM

Sep 2011
emeraldrosary said:
JizzyHitler said:
did that guy seriously get mad because you described 2 one piece characters in a completely neutral statement?
Apparently so. I did not intend for him to get angry.

Perhaps I should have clarified I haven't watched One Piece before. Also, I haven't watched Gintama either which is why I wrote "no comment" for Gintoki as well.

Actually, I plan on watching Gintama soon though. I've seen you saying somewhere on another forum that Gintama has a slow start so I'm sort of put off by that. I'm thinking I'll just watch one episode at a time until I feel like hooked on it.
I generally assume when someone says no comment, it means they dont believe they are qualified enough to speak on something, this case being not watching a show. There was no reason for you to be called a "hater" in this situation

lupadim said:
bunny_lover said:
JizzyHitler said:
emeraldrosary said:
lupadim said:
emeraldrosary said:

"No comments" is a very offensive statement in Brazil. It is like saying "Wow that is so stupid and so wrong I am not even going to say anything"
I mean it can be used like that, its all a matter of the tone of voice which cant be portrayed through text, I'm not aware of this difference in meanings but for the future keep in mind when someone says no comment here it means they literally have no comment because they really cant justifiably say anything
JizzyHitlerDec 4, 2013 6:24 AM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 4, 2013 8:13 AM

Jun 2011
DramaEnthusiast said:
I personally do not think Naruto, Ichigo should not have made it

Same here. Naruto and Ichigo should get out of the top 10

Krasa said:

I don't know Gintoki as well.

You should watch Gintama, then you'll understand that Gintoki is well deserved to be up there.

Flume said:
Most of them deserve there place except for Naruto and maybe Luffy.

Bolded: Why so? If you have been watching One Piece, there is no reason for you to say that Luffy doesn't deserve that spot, after all the time we spent on learning about his past, his present, and his possibly future.
ToG25thBaamDec 4, 2013 8:17 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Dec 4, 2013 8:18 AM
Sep 2013
I don't think zoro, naruto, ichigo or luffy deserve to be top 10.
Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike them, but are they worthy of top 10? not really.
Fair enough for the others, even though they wouldn't make my list.
And It doesn't look like anyone will ever catch up to lelouch and L.
The end is nigh

Dec 4, 2013 8:30 AM
May 2010
1: Lamperouge, Lelouch
Hmm. I can understand why he is up there. Kind of. I would definitely put him pretty high in a top characters list of my own, but probably not top 10, let alone first.

2: Lawliet, L
Frankly, I think he is an idiot. It would be hard for me to back that opinion up without rewatching the show, because its been so long since I thought about why.

3:Monkey D., Luffy
Meh. Luffy is an interesting character I suppose, but I cant really enjoy his normal attitude. I do like how strongly it contrasts against his serious actions to a point, but its just TO strongly for me to like him overall. He would definitely not be in any list of my favorite characters.

4: Yagami, Light
I think he is an idiot to, tbh, just slightly less of an idiot than L and somewhat luckier.

5: Elric, Edward
I like him. Not much more to say really.

6: Kurosaki, Ichigo
I dont know how many times one person can lose confidence in themselves recover kick the shit out of some stupidly op bad guy and repeat the process, but I think ichigo has set out to test the limits of this turn of events. He is a shit character, enough said.

7: Uzumaki, Naruto
God why. I cant even really explain well WHY I dont like him. I think I just find his attitude/voice/actions generally annoying. That said, there is at least one time ive absolutely loved his actions so I can accept him being here more than Ichigo.

8: Roronoa, Zoro
Well, he is at least badass enough to warrant a spot fairly high on a favorite characters list. Better than everyone above him, at the least.(except maybe lelouche)

9: Sakata, Gintoki
This one I understand, and even agree with to some extent. For some reason I enjoy his switches between serious and stupid a lot more than I do with the ones luffy has. Easily better than anyone else on this list anyway. (except maybe lelouche again)

10: Suzumiya, Haruhi
Eh. I dont really dislike her, but I certainly dont think she is anywhere near good enough to get on a top 10 character list. Not even close.

Overall, I think that is a pretty crappy list. Maybe 3-4 of those characters would even appear in a top 100 characters list if I made it. Then again, my opinion and all /shrug.
Worships Asparagus.
Dec 4, 2013 8:43 AM

Dec 2012
lupadim said:
Luffy being special is not a matter of opinion, there is no way you can say Luffy is not special, it is like saying Albert Einstein is not a genius

Unless you mean special as in retarded then no, it's not a fact.

Are people in this thread serious? calling it a horrible list or x character and y character don't belong here. This is the top 10 characters in terms of favorites on the site not the top 10 objectively best characters of all time in anime history, Jesus.

Getting butthurt that other people like something you don't like, smh.
tsudecimoDec 4, 2013 8:49 AM
Dec 4, 2013 8:55 AM

Apr 2012
1. Lamperouch Lelouch
My favorite character. I can understand why some people don't like him as much though.

2. L
I dislike him, actually. His quirky mannerism is annoying to me.

3. Luffy
Nice character. I at least don't have objections of him being on top 10.

4. Light
I like him but not as high as top 10.

5. Edward
Only read the manga. Maybe if I watch the anime I'll like him more.

6. Ichigo
While I lament the fact that Bleach is being hated upon by a lot of self-righteous anime critics, I regret to say that Ichigo may not be the best candidates for top 10 characters. Sure, he wins some epic fights, but his character just doesn't shine through.

7. Naruto
The epitome of tropes and cliches of battle shounen. Yet, I think he should be ranked pretty high, if not top 10. Why, because Naruto is the symbol of battle shounen (even if its a cliche, at least he represent the cliche). Furthermore, like Luffy, Naruto says some inspiring and/or badass statement that really leaves its mark.

8. Zoro
I am not as big of a one piece fan as Bleach and Naruto fan. However, I think Zoro's badass-ness makes him legitimate of being on top 10.

9. Gintoki
Never watched Gintama to know.

10. Haruhi
She is quite funny, but I honestly like Kyon a lot more, what with his taciturn, humorous social commentary and all.

痛就是爱
Dec 4, 2013 9:02 AM

Apr 2012
Moreover, worth mentioning that ...

12 Alucard - I hope this appease a lot of Hellsing fans
13 Kamina - TTGL fan likewise
14 Okabe Rintarou - well-deserved, if not higher
16 Spike Spiegel - classic anime favorite character
22 Yuno - the crazy psycho bitch
23 C.C. - never understands why so many people like her.
25 Kakashi - a pretty cool character
26 Senjougahara - Quirky, charming, possessive, and random
27 Kirito - I don't hate SAO, but, really ...
30 Natsu - Another battle shounen cliche

痛就是爱
Dec 4, 2013 9:25 AM

Nov 2010
JizzyHitler said:
Yes trolls do that, I don't understand why you are surprised.
Dec 4, 2013 9:38 AM

Mar 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
JizzyHitler said:

How is saying 'no comments' trolling :|
[25/04/14 4:04:39 PM] Skitzo: doujins have deep psychological undertones about the sexual intrigue of human behavior
Dec 4, 2013 9:39 AM

Sep 2012
I think Lelouch deserves the #1 spot because he's a genius.
Dec 4, 2013 9:41 AM

Nov 2010
Aryaragi said:
IntroverTurtle said:
JizzyHitler said:

How is saying 'no comments' trolling :|
No, him getting mad at someone for saying "no comment" and saying that they are badmouthing the characters because they said "no comment". And he's famous for being a troll around here but regulars keep on taking him seriously.
Dec 4, 2013 2:55 PM

Sep 2013
DramaEnthusiast said:
As it stands now, the top ten most popular characters on MAL are

1. Lamperouge Lelouch
2. L
3. Monkey D. Luffy
4. Yagami Light
5. Edward Elric
6. Kurosaki Ichigo
7. Uzumaki Naruto
8. Roronoa Zoro
9. Sataka Gintoki
10. Haruhi Suzumiya

Do you have any objections to the list? Do you believe there are characters who certainly do not belong there, and there are many surprising characters who are did not make the top ten? I personally do not think Naruto, Ichigo should not have made it, seeing how the former two belong to very ill received series, and aren't exactly very deep. If anything, I have no objections to the rest of the list, but I am surprised Son Goku is nowhere near the top ten here when many Western fans list him as "the greatest anime character of all time."

Discuss what you think.

DramaEnthusiast said:

1. Lamperouge Lelouch
2. L
3. Monkey D. Luffy
4. Yagami Light
5. Edward Elric
6. Kurosaki Ichigo
7. Uzumaki Naruto
8. Roronoa Zoro
9. Sataka Gintoki
10. Haruhi Suzumiya

DramaEnthusiast said:

5. Edward Elric
6. Kurosaki Ichigo
7. Uzumaki Naruto

DramaEnthusiast said:

6. Kurosaki Ichigo

HOW THE HELL IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?!?!?!?!?!

Ichigo was ONLY awesome when 1) he saved Rukia right when she was gonna get executed and 2) in his last fight when he used FGT. THE ENTIRETY of all the other time the anime ran for, he was weak, crying, and/or afraid!
Old_RavenDec 4, 2013 3:01 PM
Dec 4, 2013 3:16 PM
Oct 2013
Litrydow said:

Nice troll good sir.

The Top 10 are popular for reasons because that's simply what most people, especially those who don't really watch that much anime to begin with watch and catch up upon. Whether they should be 1-10 is just a matter of things being the way they are.
"The mind is better off free, rather than in chains."

-Anonymous
Dec 4, 2013 3:48 PM

Sep 2011
Litrydow said:

I love Lelouch, hes the best character in any story ever and that includes jesus. My only wish is that gintoki and zoro would get replaced by the much more deserving characters of carrot-o and ass sauna

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 4, 2013 3:53 PM

Feb 2010
I bet there are thousands of inactive accounts from times when Bleach & co were more popular that still have Ichigo and some others in their favorites. In terms of active members I'm pretty sure people like Okabe would dominate the top 10.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 4, 2013 3:55 PM
Apr 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
I bet there are thousands of inactive accounts from times when Bleach & co were more popular that still have Ichigo and some others in their favorites. In terms of active members I'm pretty sure people like Okabe would dominate the top 10.

such optimism...
Dec 4, 2013 3:57 PM

Sep 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
I think its safe to assume there are tons of inactive accounts that have alot of the top 100 characters favorites, including okabe, But the main crutch of the people that have that havew these favorites are active users that probably only use the site for the list function, dont be fulled by how much people like me and others shit talk the series, we are a vocal minority and there are plenty of people whom love that show to death

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 4, 2013 4:02 PM

Feb 2010
mbac said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

such optimism...

It's not about optimism. The times when new members registred and added Ichigo are just over for the most parts. Nowadays first contact with anime and the dedication that comes with it is more likely to be with some of the recently hyped shows like Steins Gate or Shingeki. Of course Bleach & Naruto (Bleach less because it stopped airing) are still relevant, but far from having as much influence on new fans than a couple of years ago.
Dec 4, 2013 4:06 PM

Nov 2010
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
mbac said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

such optimism...

It's not about optimism. The times when new members registred and added Ichigo are just over for the most parts. Nowadays first contact with anime and the dedication that comes with it is more likely to be with some of the recently hyped shows like Steins Gate or Shingeki. Of course Bleach & Naruto (Bleach less because it stopped airing) are still relevant, but far from having as much influence on new fans than a couple of years ago.
I partly agree with you Higashi. But also Steins;Gate isn't the highest in overall popularity. Code Geass, Bleach, Death Note, etc are all at the top of the popularity list with at least 100,000 more members than it. I think overall popularity has to be part of it. Also all those new shows aren't being aired on tv yet.
Dec 4, 2013 4:07 PM

Feb 2010
JizzyHitler said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
I think its safe to assume there are tons of inactive accounts that have alot of the top 100 characters favorites, including okabe, But the main crutch of the people that have that havew these favorites are active users that probably only use the site for the list function, dont be fulled by how much people like me and others shit talk the series, we are a vocal minority and there are plenty of people whom love that show to death

I'm just saying the majority of Bleach fans will already have been Bleach fans 2 years ago and therefore I think lesser amount of new registrations will be. While Steins;Gate just aired 2 years ago and can't have all the inactive accounts from 2005-20011 that are all potentially having Ichigo in their favorites. So imo it's natural to assume that the amount of inactive accounts with Ichigo in their favorites is considerably higher than the amount of inactive accounts who has any recently popular show/charcters in their favorites.

@Intro: The same argument can be used for overall popularity. Older accounts can't have the new shows. Subtract the inactive accounts from before 2011 and I'm sure the numbers would look different. Not to the same extent as the favorites though, because there are a solid amount of people who finished the show but would never put anything of it into their favorites.
AlcoholicideDec 4, 2013 4:10 PM
Dec 4, 2013 4:10 PM
Apr 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
mbac said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

such optimism...

I partly agree with you Higashi. But also Steins;Gate isn't the highest in overall popularity. Code Geass, Bleach, Death Note, etc are all at the top of the popularity list with at least 100,000 more members than it. I think overall popularity has to be part of it. Also all those new shows aren't being aired on tv yet.

i was being facetious there, but yeah, bleach has been on the decline lately

however, bleach is still relatively immensely popular, and ichigo is more of a brand image now
you have all of the groupthink people who pick him without a real valid reason (not saying that's true for everyone), and that's bound to skew the ratings
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Is your waifu inspired by other waifus?

Catalano - 2 hours ago

7 by Little_Sheepling »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you skip anime scenes or episodes?

Johnny65 - Yesterday

39 by Yuno »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » is the word "disney" plot or story a valid criticism?

deg - 7 hours ago

26 by Mualani »»
27 minutes ago

» Why I won't check out anime based on PC visual novels

littlepaul1002 - 2 hours ago

9 by Lucifrost »»
39 minutes ago

» The problem with most modern anime (spoilers for some series) ( 1 2 )

Ebb1993 - Sep 22

54 by Ebb1993 »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.