Forum Settings
Forums

What do you think of the top ten most popular characters of all time on MAL?

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
#1
Oct 23, 2013 3:07 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 3569
As it stands now, the top ten most popular characters on MAL are

1. Lamperouge Lelouch
2. L
3. Monkey D. Luffy
4. Yagami Light
5. Edward Elric
6. Kurosaki Ichigo
7. Uzumaki Naruto
8. Roronoa Zoro
9. Sataka Gintoki
10. Haruhi Suzumiya

Do you have any objections to the list? Do you believe there are characters who certainly do not belong there, and there are many surprising characters who are did not make the top ten? I personally do not think Naruto, Ichigo should not have made it, seeing how the former two belong to very ill received series, and aren't exactly very deep. If anything, I have no objections to the rest of the list, but I am surprised Son Goku is nowhere near the top ten here when many Western fans list him as "the greatest anime character of all time."

Discuss what you think.
Modified by 00002019, Oct 23, 2013 3:32 AM
 
#2
Oct 23, 2013 3:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 2161
Discuss???
What is there for even discussion?
By that list its obvious that popular characters will come from popular anime regardless of someone like it or not.
 
#3
Oct 23, 2013 3:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1106
Alucard, Okabe and Spike should be there instead of these immature MCs LMFAO
Modified by Lebranium, Oct 23, 2013 3:17 AM
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
 
#4
Oct 23, 2013 3:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 611
There is an alarming lack of Infeno Cop on that list.
Romance anime are cancer
Senseless slaughter > Moe
The Emperor protects!
 
#5
Oct 23, 2013 3:28 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 12600
DramaEnthusiast said:


Do you have any objections to the list? Do you believe there are characters who certainly do not belong there, and there are many surprising characters who are did not make the top ten?

Discuss what you think.


You are supposed to answer these questions by yourself first before asking others.
 
#6
Oct 23, 2013 3:28 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 51904
Hades_III said:
There is an alarming lack of Infeno Cop on that list.


amen
 
#7
Oct 23, 2013 3:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 2108
Nope, no objections to the list whatsoever, popularity isn't subjective to one person its subjective to an entire group of people. For someone to complain about their favourite characters not being on the list would just be a waste of their time, my time and everybody else's. Some of those characters are admittedly good entries and I don't see any problem with them, the same can be said with the top 10 anime and manga on MAL also.
Popularity is hard to achieve and usually the most popular stuff will obviously suit the vast majority of the masses which in anime/manga's case are just casual viewers, so as I said before, to complain about it would just simply be foolish, what is wrong with liking characters that aren't on the list? It's good to be different, however changing the opinion of everyone will be a fucking difficult challenge and if anyone is up to the task of changing all the characters on the list to characters who they believe truly deserve to be the top 10 than I applaud them for their efforts.
Besides, that's a fairly standard list and I swear if you look on any other mainstream anime site you will likely get similar results.
 
#8
Oct 23, 2013 3:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 384
Naruto and Bleach are so overrated and are extremely popular because it has been Americanized. One Piece is from that mold as well but to a much lesser degree.
"Relying on someone, helping each other out, and supporting each other. Most would say that's the right thing to do. However, that's just idealistic. In reality, someone always gets the short end of the stick"

http://p1.i.ntere.st/3b9596c6911c1c6844478fe7ace4e887_480.jpg

 
#9
Oct 23, 2013 3:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 18443
Keima is in top 75 (he is at 72) and that's enough for me.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
 
Oct 23, 2013 3:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 3484
I haven't watched One Piece, Bleach or Haruhi Suzumiya, so from the ones I've watched I think Naruto is the only mc I found annoying in that list. He was ok in the first series, but he got a lot worse in Shippuden.
L, Lelouch and Edward are some of my favourites whileI conisder Light and Gintoki excellent characters.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
 
Oct 23, 2013 3:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 4468
No Kamina? No Kirtsugu? I am sad.
 
Oct 23, 2013 3:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 10208
j0x said:
Hades_III said:
There is an alarming lack of Infeno Cop on that list.


amen

At least you guys could lead by example. I don't see him among your favorites. As for me, I agree Inferno Cop is really hot but maybe that's not enough to make a memorable character.

Anyway on topic. I like L, Luffy, Zoro, Light and Haruhi, Gintoki sounds fine from the little amount of Gintama I watched and haven't experienced the rest.

Wait, that's all. Another quality answer to a quality thread.
 
Oct 23, 2013 3:39 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 465
geralt said:
I haven't watched One Piece, Bleach or Haruhi Suzumiya, so from the ones I've watched I think Naruto is the only mc I found annoying in that list. He was ok in the first series, but he got a lot worse in Shippuden.
L, Lelouch and Edward are some of my favourites whileI conisder Light and Gintoki excellent characters.


This.

I don't know Gintoki as well.
 
Oct 23, 2013 3:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 14520
Hades_III said:
There is an alarming lack of Infeno Cop Izaya on that list.
yuh yuh yuh

 
Oct 23, 2013 3:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5217
I know this is a DE thread, but fuck it.

1. Good fun to watch, incredibly charismatic and Johnny Bosch. Although his over the top nature is sometimes a bit too... over the top.

2. The show went to shit when he left. Says a lot, but I still think he's a bit overrated.

3. From what I've seen of One Piece, he's far less irritating than the average shonen lead. But I haven't seen enough to form an opinion

4. Good at first but had a shit ton of convenient lapses in intelligence in the second part. But still a good character overall.

5. Definitely the best in the top 10. While I don't find the short jokes funny anymore (Thank you Vic Mignogna fangirls) he's one of the most well developed anime characters I've ever come across and he's not a drooling idiot like a lot of other characters in similar positions

6. Better than Naruto, but still kind of bland. Gets points for Johnny Bosch though.

7. A fuckawful clusterfuck of the worst shonen cliches and one of the most irritating anime characters in existence.

8. Probably my favourite character from what I've seen of One Piece but I haven't seen much.

9. Sugita's voice is a gift from the heavens. Definitely one of his best characters

10. The bitch I love to love. Although Kyon is the backbone of the show for me and my all time favourite character. So I'd say she's a bit overrated.
 
Oct 23, 2013 3:53 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 51904
jal90 said:
j0x said:
Hades_III said:
There is an alarming lack of Infeno Cop on that list.


amen

At least you guys could lead by example. I don't see him among your favorites. As for me, I agree Inferno Cop is really hot but maybe that's not enough to make a memorable character.


i forgot to update my list now his been added to my favorites
 
Oct 23, 2013 4:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 19
theres really nothing to say on this topic, right
 
Oct 23, 2013 4:06 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 7551
Simon is not there so its not legit.
 
Oct 23, 2013 4:12 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 10000
Most of them deserve there place except for Naruto and maybe Luffy.

geralt said:
He was ok in the first series, but he got a lot worse in Shippuden.


Pretty much what he said, he was a great before the time skip. He was a well developed character, an underdog that only wanted to seek approval from his peers and make friends (which I'm sure a lot of people could relate to at that time), that shit was heartwarming but now his obsession with Sasuke and how he talks his enemies into submission is getting pretty irritating.

I'm a fan of One Piece but honestly, Luffy is one of the blandest characters ever. Nakama power fuels every inch of his body to the point that it makes Naruto look sane and rivals Natsu from Fairy Tail. He has little depth to him but he is charismatic and energetic which is probably why people like him.
 
Oct 23, 2013 4:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 11686
The bitch is on the last spot.
I feel great..
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

 
Oct 23, 2013 4:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 2108
shattereddreamzz said:
The bitch is on the last spot.
I feel great..

I know right. -_-
 
Oct 23, 2013 4:26 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 2090
Only Lelouch is deserving



OP must be upset no Konata, Tomoya, Nagiaa, Okabe, Kurisu in Top 10 iirc
Everyone in the community is shit taste.
 
Oct 23, 2013 4:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 611
jal90 said:
At least you guys could lead by example. I don't see him among your favorites. As for me, I agree Inferno Cop is really hot but maybe that's not enough to make a memorable character.


I carry him in my heart.

LevailRenn said:
Hades_III said:
There is an alarming lack of Infeno Cop Izaya on that list.


I don't know that fellow...was he one of the sinners Inferno punished for their crimes?
Romance anime are cancer
Senseless slaughter > Moe
The Emperor protects!
 
Oct 23, 2013 4:38 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 15458
it has lelouch and light there so i can't complain at all c:
 
Oct 23, 2013 4:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 187
Jody32 said:
shattereddreamzz said:
The bitch is on the last spot.
I feel great..

I know right. -_-


how do people even like her ?



 
Oct 23, 2013 4:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 3838
Everyone except Haruhi and Ichigo are fine. Replace them with Spike and Kamina (or Simon)
 
Oct 23, 2013 4:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1453
Ichigo, Naruto and Haruhi -> Out.
Griffith, Johan and Teresa -> In.
 
Oct 23, 2013 4:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 11686
destonyDbaby said:
Jody32 said:
shattereddreamzz said:
The bitch is on the last spot.
I feel great..

I know right. -_-


how do people even like her ?

You just need to be a masochist I guess -_-
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

 
Oct 23, 2013 5:13 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 399
1. Haven't watched the anime yet.

2. A really good character but I liked Light more

3. I've only watched 23 episodes of One Piece but Luffy seems pretty good.

4. My favorite anime character.

5. Another good character but I don't think he should be in the top 10. Maybe after watching the rest of Brotherhood I'll change my mind.

6. Doesn't belong in the top 10

7. Haven't watched the anime

8. He's my favorite character in One Piece so far

9. Haven't watched the anime

10. I thought Kyon was the best character in the show. Harui was alright but I don't think she should be the number one female character.
 
Oct 23, 2013 5:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 13537
Can the mods please ban DE from making random threads? Like, make it so that his threads have to go through a moderation process before it gets posted.

On to the topic, I don't care and anyone who does has no business on the internet.
 
Oct 23, 2013 5:42 AM
otaking
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 24959
its bad
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
 
Oct 23, 2013 5:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 11686
yhunata said:
Can the mods please ban DE from making random threads? Like, make it so that his threads have to go through a moderation process before it gets posted.

On to the topic, I don't care and anyone who does has no business on the internet.

Now, now...don't be so harsh on him, he is just a bit on the dramatic side :P
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

 
Oct 23, 2013 5:50 AM
#1 Chihaya Fan

Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 5145
The favourite characters on my profile are far superior.
 
Oct 23, 2013 5:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5217
mitch3315 said:
The favourite characters on my profile are far superior.
They are actually. Mutta is so moe he can make any cute girl look like a pushover.
 
Oct 23, 2013 6:07 AM
#1 Chihaya Fan

Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 5145
SaberKino said:
mitch3315 said:
The favourite characters on my profile are far superior.
They are actually. Mutta is so moe he can make any cute girl look like a pushover.


Mutta is easily the most moe character ever.
 
Oct 23, 2013 6:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 10415
Needs more females.
 
Oct 23, 2013 6:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 6393
Naruto and Luffy?
What in the name of fuck?
 
Oct 23, 2013 6:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5217
mitch3315 said:
SaberKino said:
mitch3315 said:
The favourite characters on my profile are far superior.
They are actually. Mutta is so moe he can make any cute girl look like a pushover.


Mutta is easily the most moe character ever.
That he is
 
Oct 23, 2013 7:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 102
2 Death Note in top 5 damn really cool especially considering how often users call it overrated.
"you think you're bad, don't cha?"
Evangelion is "a commentary on human nature and Japanese culture, particularly otaku and hikikomori, couched in a metaphysical allegory within a Science Fiction background."
 
Oct 23, 2013 7:03 AM
Hug Addict <3

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 29320
uh of the ones I've seen I've liked most of them, dunno if I'd say any are top 10 worthy other than Lelouch but I'm not gonna qq about it

A cuddle a day keeps the pouting away~
"Holding hands is just the first step to getting pregnant"
 
Oct 23, 2013 7:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 166
Spike and Alucard should DEFINITELY be there
 
Oct 23, 2013 7:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 4110
Gin-chan deserves even more love. Dat nig never gets it on.

Also, Konata should be in the top 10, just so this whole debate could turn into a massive MOE flame war. It's always fun to watch.

shattereddreamzz said:
destonyDbaby said:
Jody32 said:
shattereddreamzz said:
The bitch is on the last spot.
I feel great..

I know right. -_-


how do people even like her ?

You just need to be a masochist I guess -_-

2 http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/31100000/-justin-bieber-Fabulous-Magazine-justin-bieber-31132237-1242-1600.jpg 4uguise XD
 
Oct 23, 2013 7:44 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 3569
Polychrome said:
Gin-chan deserves even more love. Dat nig never gets it on.

Also, Konata should be in the top 10, just so this whole debate could turn into a massive MOE flame war. It's always fun to watch.

shattereddreamzz said:
destonyDbaby said:
Jody32 said:
shattereddreamzz said:
The bitch is on the last spot.
I feel great..

I know right. -_-


how do people even like her ?

You just need to be a masochist I guess -_-

2 http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/31100000/-justin-bieber-Fabulous-Magazine-justin-bieber-31132237-1242-1600.jpg 4uguise XD

Konata is just behind Haruhi
 
Oct 23, 2013 7:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 3484
Flume said:

I'm a fan of One Piece but honestly, Luffy is one of the blandest characters ever. Nakama power fuels every inch of his body to the point that it makes Naruto look sane and rivals Natsu from Fairy Tail. He has little depth to him but he is charismatic and energetic which is probably why people like him.

That is so disappointing to hear. I was planning to watch One Piece (and I still will) but Natsu is one of the reason I can't enjoy Fairy Tail that much and reading that Luffy is similar in getting power ups from his ass to him is a bit of a let down for me.
Hopefully I'll still enjoy it, though.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
 
Oct 23, 2013 8:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 8410
1. Lamperouge Lelouch - Reinhard von Lohengramm clone, well to be fair he isnt as smart as Reinhard but compensates with eye Powah
2. L - used to be in my top 10
3. Monkey D. Luffy - been a while since i dropped OP so i cant say much about him but i thought he was a decent protagonist at least
4. Yagami Light - epic for the most part
5. Edward Elric - mixed opinions on him, cool when serious, lame when trying to be funny
6. Kurosaki Ichigo - boring for the most part an during Aizen arc he started to get extremely annoying
7. Uzumaki Naruto - shit protagonist for the most part an whenever Sasuke is around he gets even worse
8. Roronoa Zoro - been a while since i dropped OP so i cant say much about him, he didnt annoy me at least
9. Sataka Gintoki - sometimes funny, sometimes boring, his speeches during "serious" arc get annoying fast
10. Haruhi Suzumiya - i know she gets some hate but i kinda like her
 
Oct 23, 2013 8:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 718
I think they are very popular...what else is there to discuss?
 
Oct 23, 2013 8:51 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 187
geralt said:
Flume said:

I'm a fan of One Piece but honestly, Luffy is one of the blandest characters ever. Nakama power fuels every inch of his body to the point that it makes Naruto look sane and rivals Natsu from Fairy Tail. He has little depth to him but he is charismatic and energetic which is probably why people like him.

That is so disappointing to hear. I was planning to watch One Piece (and I still will) but Natsu is one of the reason I can't enjoy Fairy Tail that much and reading that Luffy is similar in getting power ups from his ass to him is a bit of a let down for me.
Hopefully I'll still enjoy it, though.


I like luffy when is fighting for his life, 1 v 1, luffy vs rob lucci. both around the same level, both going through their limits. luffy winning because he wasnt only fighting for himself. sad that only happens once (zoro best character heiuehue sad that he doesnt had a fight like what luffy had, best that he had was just like an awakening to him)

fairy tail huh. some shizzle in here but I like erza so. natsu is strong but somethimes you think this guy shouldnt be this strong when fighting people who are clearly out of his league. some say because of nakama power but that only take you so far. it shouldnt make you twice as strong or even more but get tiny little bit better then if your fighting for yourself



 
Oct 23, 2013 8:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 5249
Am I the only one that can see the gaping hole where Onizuka should be??
 
Oct 23, 2013 9:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 261
geralt said:
Flume said:

I'm a fan of One Piece but honestly, Luffy is one of the blandest characters ever. Nakama power fuels every inch of his body to the point that it makes Naruto look sane and rivals Natsu from Fairy Tail. He has little depth to him but he is charismatic and energetic which is probably why people like him.

That is so disappointing to hear. I was planning to watch One Piece (and I still will) but Natsu is one of the reason I can't enjoy Fairy Tail that much and reading that Luffy is similar in getting power ups from his ass to him is a bit of a let down for me.
Hopefully I'll still enjoy it, though.


The biggest difference between FT and OP is that in OP characters actually fight with their lives on the line, plenty of the times Luffy is at the point of death more or less.

Whereas in FT, Natsu just one hits 90% of the people he fights and defies all logic that gets mentioned in his series.
 
Oct 23, 2013 9:29 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 4223
Next time on DramaEnthusiast:
- What do you think of the most popular anime on MAL?
- What do you think of the top 5 anime favourites on MAL?
- What do you think of the top 10 anime series on MAL?
- What do you think of the top 3 people favourites on MAL?

OT: They're not really surprising.
Modified by ffffffffffffff, Oct 23, 2013 9:44 AM
 
Top
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »