Forum Settings
Forums

'Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi!' 2014 Rankings Revealed

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 19, 2013 2:31 PM

Nov 2009
Just one question. WHERE IS NARITA RYOHGO?!!
Nov 19, 2013 2:43 PM

Mar 2012
How many year it is since Misaka top the list? Four year in a row?
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Nov 19, 2013 2:51 PM

Mar 2008
-Crys said:
Hell Yeah for Oregairu. And now give us a second season, we need more Hachiman.

<333 yes! I love pretty much all fo the characters from Oregairu. ASAP second season/more light novels, please!
And I'm also more than happy that Oregairu is being appreciated so much, it really deserves it.
Nov 19, 2013 4:19 PM
Dec 2012
OMG,MIYUKIII TATSUYAAAAA!
Nov 19, 2013 4:25 PM

Oct 2012
Oregairu and Maou-sama! :) Now give us the second seasons already!

Nov 19, 2013 4:28 PM

Dec 2007
Not surprsing..but yay for Oregairu and Mikoto :D
Nov 19, 2013 4:47 PM

Jul 2013
go maou, izayoi, and kirito! XD
love those three novels, mangas, and animes.
Nov 19, 2013 6:05 PM

Jul 2010
Good for OregaIru and Maou-sama.Hopefully we will get second seasons sometime in near future.

tsubasalover said:
*8. Rokka no Yuusha
This looks and sounds really interesting.Too bad noone is translating it.
Nov 19, 2013 6:07 PM

Aug 2011
Hachiman is not the MC we need, but the one we deserve. That guy is too boss not to be in 1st place.
Nov 19, 2013 6:10 PM

May 2011
Congrats for OreGairu!
Nov 19, 2013 6:47 PM

Sep 2012
ToG25thBaam said:
What do we get recently? School club activities-related anime adaption. Edit: with stereotype characters that's pretty much one dimensional
BakaTest is also school activities related even if it is not really club-based. And I know detractors would call BakaTest one dimensional with stereotype characters too. My point is that whether a LN/anime is good varies from person to person, and MOE exists almost everywhere in LN these days so blaming MOE for any decision about anime adaptation is totally missing the point.
symbvNov 19, 2013 7:17 PM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 19, 2013 6:55 PM

Sep 2012
OreGairu may be school and service club but Hachiman and Yukinoshita are not your average characters, nor is Wataru Watari's writing average in the least! Funny thing is my favorite part of his books are the atogaki! He has good insights into the modern multi-media business he is in with the drama CD, anime and game adaptations of his work that he has participated in. Entertaining and insightful guy, well deserved recognition and praise for him.

Remember that stuff gets popular because people like it and people tend to write what's popular. It is rare that you get something really new and original which is recognized and also sells well. New trends happen slowly. Right now college stuff doesn't sell as well in either light novels or anime so... people write high school stuff.

Too bad stuff like NouCome isn't even more highly recognized as while it is in a high school setting and is harem based as well, it is quite original. Kokoro Connect as well, not just your average high school story.

Demons and heroes I may have had enough of, I will admit...
Nov 19, 2013 7:51 PM

Dec 2012
CrimsonPhantom said:
Hachiman is not the MC we need, but the one we deserve. That guy is too boss not to be in 1st place.

http://puu.sh/3kbAa.jpg

<3
Nov 19, 2013 8:44 PM

Aug 2013
The only title i care about on the list is only Oregairu, mostly because the anime adaptation managed to deliver something thoughtful and sincere and having heroines whom the story developed very well and treated with dignity, not as fodder for checklist of tired tropes, which disparages it completely from endless run-of-the-mill "Ore no Highschool romcom" out there. I know it's a highly biased opinion since most titles on the list never get themselves any translations, and partially because i dislike literature on general (i'm more into comic book fan).

I'm honestly wondering where does titles such as Durarara!, Baccano, Kino no Tabi, etc go? The kind of LNs where the authors genuinely put effort on the writing Quality and character development to deliver compelling and more thoughtful storytelling. Well, sure maybe some of them are still being written and still being adapted into anime (which were probably escaped from my attention), but since vast majority of LN adaptations tend to follow similar formula; tired checklist otaku tropes (harem, romcom, plenty of fanservice) and run-of-the-mill school setting, it can't be helped that these are the ones that were responsible in shaping up my (and many others') impressions about LN adaptations.

Another thing that i notice with most translated LNs is their usually poor executions. I gave a certain LN on Baka-Tsuki a try on the other day as per my friend's recommendation. The premise sounded very great; a typical fantasy story set in modern Japan setting. Few pages later, however, instead of the plot actually goes somewhere, i got the bland MC being trapped in ecchi situation nonstop with two hot girls, over and over again, for several pages until i got sick of it and deleted the file from my PC. Then i tried another title that gave me warm welcome in the form of MC falling into certain heroine's boobs with other jealous heroine pummeled his body into smitheerens, and another title again also with very same result. Fun fact, these titles took less than 30 pages for establishing character and world building while wasting 100++ page for utter stupidity and trite dialogues that have no weight at all to the overall plot. I mean, you've got potential, good set of characters, and promising premise. Then why not develop said potential to the fullest? Why marginalize it with something completely inane and off-putting instead?

Anyone, prove me wrong please.
AmiluhurNov 19, 2013 8:50 PM
Nov 19, 2013 8:45 PM

Apr 2012
ssjokg said:
MCsq2 said:
Suntears said:
MCsq2 said:
How many years has it been since Misaka Mikoto has been dominating the female charts?

5 years and well deserved, she's simply the best...no competition
I dunno.

I used to think that, then Misaki Shokuhou came along. Let's hope she plays an even greater role than she does right now. ^_^
IMO many of the other female characters,including Misaki, are better than Misaka(and Index).

I wouldn't say many, but there are certainly some characters which has potentials.
Nov 19, 2013 8:46 PM
Oct 2013
I'm really happy for oregairu and hachiman :')
Nov 19, 2013 8:53 PM

Sep 2012
Amiluhur said:
Fun fact, these titles took less than 30 pages for establishing character and world building while wasting 100++ page for utter stupidity and trite dialogues that have no weight at all to the overall plot. I mean, you've got potential, good set of characters, and promising premise. Then why not develop said potential to the fullest? Why marginalize it with something completely inane and off-putting instead?

Anyone, prove me wrong please.
Not to prove you wrong, but I would say you are setting a clearly different expectation from the fans it is written for. The premise has to be interesting to get readers to start reading but light novel is light because it is expected to be read quickly and casually, so just taking a few dozen pages to establish the characters and the world is what the readers expect and they would rather not seeing more before character interactions, which is the real deal to them, start. Now what is considered the real meat to fans is considered stupidity by you and you can tell why you are probably not the targeted consumer for this kind of LNs. In short, it may be off-putting to you, but it can be attention-drawing to others.

Besides, it is not that those readers do not want to see more world-building though. Many LNs keep building on the world and get complex as it progresses, but the key element is just the interesting (stupid to you) situation and dialogues which may or may not have to do with the plot. In LN world, readers do not get obsessed as much about plot as many western people seem prone to do.
symbvNov 19, 2013 9:01 PM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 19, 2013 8:59 PM

Aug 2008
oh yeah, there's Haimura getting best illustrator
nice
just watched Oregairu, damn it beat my favorite series(Index) but it totally deserves the spot after what I saw
gotta love Hachiman

Nov 19, 2013 10:40 PM

Nov 2012
Amiluhur said:
>snip<

Oh sheesh, not this type of person again. Go find your preferred tropeless tale then, clearly the ones you've read recently were not even aimed for your taste in the first place.

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Nov 19, 2013 11:32 PM

Mar 2010
Seeing Tokyo Ravens and Hataraku getting deserved ranks puts a huge smile on my face.

Jaeger07 said:
Amiluhur said:
>snip<

Oh sheesh, not this type of person again. Go find your preferred tropeless tale then, clearly the ones you've read recently were not even aimed for your taste in the first place.

This.
Nov 20, 2013 12:04 AM

Mar 2013
Congratulations Hikki/Hachiman you deserve that spot. I'm also rooting for you in ISML. Hope you win too ^^

Yozora > Sena
Kirino > Ayase > Kuroneko

Couldn't agree more with the rankings except that Kirito being on a higher rank than Accelerator. Just why?
KaoreenNov 20, 2013 12:08 AM
Nov 20, 2013 12:34 AM

Jan 2011
Oregairu and Hachiman definitely deserves first place, so happy for the series. Needs more 2nd season. >=D
Nov 20, 2013 12:38 AM

Jan 2010
Never read Bungaku Shoujo or Baka to Test so I can't say anything about those, but Toaru Majutsu no Index placing higher than Kino no Tabi in a "Best of 10 years" ranking is a really bad joke.

Nov 20, 2013 1:45 AM

Aug 2013
symbv said:
Besides, it is not that those readers do not want to see more world-building though. Many LNs keep building on the world and get complex as it progresses, but the key element is just the interesting (stupid to you) situation and dialogues which may or may not have to do with the plot. In LN world, readers do not get obsessed as much about plot as many western people seem prone to do.

Oh i see. That kinda explains why most Japanese LNs i've read so far (at least the translated ones on Baka Tsuki) put heavy emphasis on dialogue and character interactions as opposed to say, Dragonlance series that i liked a lot during my childhood (this is the only western literature that i deem closer with LN in comparison) that puts more emphasizes on narrative instead, so yes, probably my preference leans more towards plot than anything else.
Jaeger07 said:
Amiluhur said:
>snip<

Oh don't give me that. I criticize those LNs because i genuinely can't stand them. You don't have to agree with me but do not start trying to undermine my credibility with this kind of weightless shit
Nov 20, 2013 2:00 AM

Jun 2011
symbv said:
ToG25thBaam said:
What do we get recently? School club activities-related anime adaption. Edit: with stereotype characters that's pretty much one dimensional
BakaTest is also school activities related even if it is not really club-based. And I know detractors would call BakaTest one dimensional with stereotype characters too. My point is that whether a LN/anime is good varies from person to person, and MOE exists almost everywhere in LN these days so blaming MOE for any decision about anime adaptation is totally missing the point.

But one difference is, that's their whole setting, they fight for better facilities, and their school system is so much better than what we've seen today. Dude Baka to Test premise and setting is just way much better than most of the school based series out there. It's one and only, and giving my props to the author for creating a school like that, that's very creative and imaginative.

Maybe it wasn't moe's fault after all, but there is something that differentiate the anime that sold well and the anime that won't sell well, I can't put it well in words. Guess I'll just leave it at that.

Just glad that toaru is getting more recognition because it actually has a good setting, plot, development, execution, characters, and pretty much everything is great about it. I remember when I first started out watching it, thought that it was incredible, but no one else seems to care about it, and it gains it's fame slowly after.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 20, 2013 2:06 AM

Dec 2011
Clive said:
Never read Bungaku Shoujo

You should.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 20, 2013 2:16 AM

Oct 2010
it will boost the sells for ore ga iru vol 8, ore ga iru almost in every top 5 ranking
hope someone interested making summary for vol 8 :'(
Nov 20, 2013 2:40 AM

Sep 2012
Amiluhur said:
Oh i see. That kinda explains why most Japanese LNs i've read so far (at least the translated ones on Baka Tsuki) put heavy emphasis on dialogue and character interactions as opposed to say, Dragonlance series that i liked a lot during my childhood (this is the only western literature that i deem closer with LN in comparison) that puts more emphasizes on narrative instead, so yes, probably my preference leans more towards plot than anything else
LNs that get really complex in their world setting exist and usually they are called a "chuunibyou" LN (not the chuunibyou anime, but what the characters in that anime got themselves into with all those made-up jargon of a fantasy world they imagined). Index and Tokyo Ravens are two of the examples, but even in those LNs "stupid" (or "appealing") character interactions and dialogues that do not touch upon the plot are still par for the course. LN readers treat them as necessary lest the reading gets "boring" because it focuses too much on the plot and serious stuff. For them it is the desired balance, but I guess it would not be the balance you want.
symbvNov 20, 2013 3:30 AM

Nov 20, 2013 2:51 AM
Jan 2013
Tenkyou no Alderamin got almost no voting in homepage site questionnaire lol - but got ridiculous amount of supporter voting.

from http://toro.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/magazin/1384916322/;

3 different criteria;
HP = Questionnaire voting from Takarajimasha homepage
協力者 = Supporter voting (by those works in LN, critiques etc.)
モニター(Monitor) = voting from 'monitoring agents' who who reads at least 51 LN per year
1. Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. (Oregairu)
HP = 116.40
Supporter = 122.58
Monitor = 26.00

2. Tenkyou no Alderamin - Nejimaki Seirei Senki
HP = 18.93
Supporter = 169.35
Monitor = 0.00

3. Toaru Majutsu no Index (Index)
HP = 109.88
Supporter = 0.00
Monitor = 72.00

4. Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru no Darou ka
HP =13.25
Supporter =164.52
Monitor = 0.00

5. Sword Art Online (SAO)
HP =66.98 
Supporter =20.97
Monitor = 87.00

6. Hataraku Maou-sama! (Maou-sama)
HP = 34.81 
Supporter =117.74
Monitor = 15.00

7. Tokyo Ravens
HP = 19.14
Supporter =111.29
Monitor = 3.00

8. Rokka no Yuusha
HP = 11.25
Supporter =104.84
Monitor = 16.00

9. Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai (Oreimo)
HP = 33.33
Supporter = 50.00
Monitor = 45.00

10. No Game No Life
HP = 8.52 
Supporter = 98.39  
Monitor = 15.00
Nov 20, 2013 3:11 AM

Sep 2012
Kitchiri said:
Tenkyou no Alderamin got almost no voting in homepage site questionnaire lol - but got ridiculous amount of supporter voting.
Instead of translating it as "supporters", which makes it sound that those people support a certain LN, I would call them as "guest reviewers". Those are selected by the editor team for their opinion leader status and includes writers, literary critics, college reading club members, active LN bloggers etc

And HP is for the wider public while Monitor is made up of veteran and committed LN readers.

And what Tenkyou failed to get is not score from the "guest reviewers" ("supporters" in your words) but instead score from the "monitors", and Dungeon shares the same fate.

On the other hand, Index got zero score from the "guest reviewers". In fact if those opinion leader reviewers' score was taken out and only the HP and Monitor scores are counted, the ranking would have become:

01 Index
02 SAO
03 OreGairu
04 Durarara
05 OreImo
06 Haganai
07 BakaTest
08 Hataraku
09 Accel World
10 Date A Live

Clearly some of the less well-known titles in the top 10 got there mostly because of these "opinion leaders" favoring them more than other more well-known (and popular) titles.
symbvNov 20, 2013 3:29 AM

Nov 20, 2013 3:33 AM

Aug 2009
Clive said:
Never read Bungaku Shoujo or Baka to Test so I can't say anything about those, but Toaru Majutsu no Index placing higher than Kino no Tabi in a "Best of 10 years" ranking is a really bad joke.

1.Opinions
2.You dont seem to care about Haruhi,Spice and Wolf, and FMP(I dont know if you have read them,when you dont have favorite Kino in your list.)so again, that's your opinion.
Nov 20, 2013 4:10 AM

Jun 2013
ok... but, where is monogatari series??
i lack on english but, i want to speak!
Nov 20, 2013 4:18 AM
Dec 2010
annov said:

It's a novel, not a light novel.
Nov 20, 2013 4:28 AM

Sep 2012
Mecasonic said:
scytheavatar said:
annov said:

Before this year, it has never failed to get in the top 60 since the Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! 2008 rankings.
But did it get disqualified this year or did it just not rank?
Nov 20, 2013 4:35 AM

Sep 2012
scytheavatar said:
annov said:

Thing is its characters Senjougahara and Araragi are in the best female/male character of this year's ranking. If your reason is the only reason, how can that be explained?

Nov 20, 2013 5:45 AM

May 2011
Disappointing to see Horizon dropping 50 positions and end up at the end of the list. At least DAL and Mondaiji-tachi are a bit higher this year.

Also,
tsubasalover said:

Male Characters
*7. Sakamaki Izayoi (Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?)
*9. Sugisaki Ken (Seitokai no Ichizon)

Light Novel Artists
*2. Ponkan 8 (Oregairu)
*5. Kantoku (Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko.)
*6. Tsunako (Date A Live)
*8. Kanzaki Hiro (Oreimo)
*9. Ukai Saki (Black Bullet)

New Works
*3. Clockwork Planet

Nice!
Nov 20, 2013 7:04 AM

Jun 2010
Nice LN ranking :D Well deserved.
Nov 20, 2013 7:09 AM

Oct 2011
Oregairu, yeah! :)
Congrats to those who made it on the list~
Nov 20, 2013 7:33 AM
May 2012
Congratulations to all of them ^_^

Now it would be really awesome if they will ANIMATE all of them!!!!
Nov 20, 2013 7:50 AM

Oct 2012
So happy that Yozora is on the top ten female charas with Mikoto and Yukino as the top two...great!

Oregairu deserves first spot.
"We should be more proud of NEETs! Love the country that strives to produce NEETs, for world peace, we must stand up! We must find more non NEET-in-waiting elites, learn from each other , form a new Japanese Party, and bravely challenge the evil! Grow, NEETs! Grow like blazing fire! NEETs!”
Nov 20, 2013 8:33 AM

Feb 2010
Not trying to be a troll here, but seeing this list kinda makes me feel sad. Of the 10 first LNs listed, more than a half follow one exact same formula that has been used for years now and yet are a lot popular, which means that all the new authors trying to pull up different stories/formulas are struggling to get some attention.

I'm not saying that these novels are all bad, I just wished a little more variety in terms of content.
FaytzNov 20, 2013 8:42 AM
Nov 20, 2013 9:02 AM

Dec 2011
Faytz said:
Not trying to be a troll here, but seeing this list kinda makes me feel sad. Of the 10 first LNs listed, more than a half follow one exact same formula that has been used for years now and yet are a lot popular, which means that all the new authors trying to pull up different stories/formulas are struggling to get some attention.

I'm not saying that these novels are all bad, I just wished a little more variety in terms of content.

Really? And what magic formula would that be then? Because I don't even see two of those ten that are the same.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 20, 2013 8:47 PM
Mar 2009
Oregairu and Hachiman? Hell yes.

Can't wait for the author to write more volumes.
Nov 26, 2013 6:05 AM

Feb 2013
Glaaad to see Black Bullet's illustrator in there!!!
So happy to see Oregairu dominating the poll and now if only Yukino could be number 1, she's better than Mikoto.
Also No game No life in top ten yahoo! SAO and Tokyo Ravens also did a great job!

Nov 26, 2013 9:47 PM

Feb 2013
Love the Index franchise to death.
Nov 27, 2013 2:35 AM

Apr 2013
iLostReason said:
Good for OregaIru and Maou-sama.Hopefully we will get second seasons sometime in near future.

tsubasalover said:
*8. Rokka no Yuusha
This looks and sounds really interesting.Too bad noone is translating it.

It not simply looks interesting, it is :3.

---------

Also, people should bear in mind that beside the LN ranking, all the other rankings are merely popularity ranking. No one is saying that Misaka or hachiman are the best characters ever in LN, they're simply saying that they like that character.

Whereas on the contrary, some titles like rokka no yuusha are in the top 10 not because they are popular but because they are considered awesome/impressive (you can see which titles is in the top 10 for which reasons by looking at the detailed scoring system. Index is only here by popularity, for example, but oregairu or alderamin aren't only there for that).
So ranking for several years in the top 10 doesn't mean the LN is popular enough to get an anime adaptation.

-------------------

Please tell me what exactly makes you think Koudansha boxes are closer from LN than titles from media work bunko like Reinousha Minato or Biblia Koshodou which AREN'T allowed.
If you can't, then it doesn't deserve to be here, just like it didn't deserve to be here the past years; and just like the characters themselves has nothing to do in there as well. Koudansha has its own ln label IIRC, so no reasons to validate koudansha boxes as valid in this ranking.
ZefyrisNov 27, 2013 2:40 AM
Nov 27, 2013 2:43 AM

Sep 2012
Zefyris said:

Please tell me what exactly makes you think Koudansha boxes are closer from LN than titles from media work bunko like Reinousha Minato or Biblia Koshodou which AREN'T allowed.
If you can't, then it doesn't deserve to be here, just like it didn't deserve to be here the past years; and just like the characters themselves has nothing to do in there as well. Koudansha has its own ln label IIRC, so no reasons to validate koudansha boxes as valid in this ranking.
Problem is the characters from the Monogatari made it into the best male character and female character ranking in the survey. I also don't necessarily consider Monogatari as LN but there seems to be definitely some inconsistency in how the survey treats this work for its various rankings.

Nov 27, 2013 12:48 PM

Apr 2013
Yes, but by removing the monogatari series from the LN ranking, they're closer this year of what it should be than last year when both the LN and characters were in. Now, we just need to have the characters removed as well for the next year.
I have nothing against monogatari as a series but such a rip off (talking about the label and not the series) shouldn't be allowed in there ImO.
Dec 8, 2013 11:56 AM
Oct 2012
symbv said:
hpulley said:
And odd that Monogatari isn't listed but a couple of their characters made the top 30's. They are not bunko so not light novels technically so they don't qualify or they just didn't rank? But their characters did somehow? I know I shouldn't get caught up in magazine poll rankings but still, oddly inconsistent.
If Senjougahara is in the female character list, I would expect that the novel should also be eligible. Yes indeed I find it puzzling too...That said, I think Kono LN ga Sugoi is more than just a simple magazine poll rankings. Its methodology encompasses readers, industry people, and opinion leaders from outside the industry (like ordinary literary critics). In fact, the book is a survey onto itself and is not derived from any survey conducted by a magazine.

I am pretty sure that they didn't qualify. They are never shelved with the other light novels in any Japanese bookstore I have been to, so I think it is safe to say that it is the exception and not the rule to consider them Light Novels.

A little rant: why do Japanese bookstores shelve by publishers? Damn annoying.
Dec 8, 2013 1:50 PM

Apr 2013
because those publishers usually target a specific audience (not always true, but it's often the case) or a specific genre for most of their title, so grouping them by publishers means grouping the books directed toward the same customers together.

Well, I think that's the theory, they do exactly the same with manga.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yami Shibai' Gets 13th Season in Summer 2024

DatRandomDude - 59 minutes ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
59 minutes ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

14 by EcchiGodMamster »»
2 hours ago

» 'Kinnikuman: Kanpeki Chоujin Shiso-hen' Reveals Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - 3 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
3 hours ago

» 'Teogonia' Unveils Main Staff, Ending Theme, Teaser Promo

DatRandomDude - 4 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
4 hours ago

» 'Kimi to Boku no Saigo no Senjou, Aruiwa Sekai ga Hajimaru Seisen Season II' Unveils Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - 4 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.