Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 26, 2013 7:19 AM

Dec 2008
Yeah I did right to get rid of the Gantz volumes I bought. What a big piece of trash this manga has become.

5/10 (had it at 9/10 when I started reading it).
Jun 26, 2013 7:47 AM

Apr 2011
The ending was alright. I started reading this manga three years ago and has become one of my favorite mangas. Im going to miss reading this :C
Jun 26, 2013 8:23 AM

Jun 2010
I wonder if more people would've liked it if someone important like Katou died. It does seem weird for a manga like Gantz to get a happy ending. I'm just unsatisfied to see what happens to Kei afterwards. His whole life he's been treated like SHIT and now he's the savior of the entire WOOOOOORLD.
But yeah it's translated if you guys don't know.
Jun 26, 2013 11:14 AM

May 2012
Stupid ending.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Jun 26, 2013 3:51 PM

May 2009
That ending was extremely mediocre...it had a good run :/
Jun 26, 2013 6:05 PM

Jun 2012
The ending was ok at best. The only way to have salvaged the ending would have been to kill everyone that Gantz brought back to life. The perfect place for that would have been right when Tae caught Kurono. She would have caught him and then burst into tears; it would have been hilarious. After that we would see that God-like being again and his top head would be the troll face.
Jun 26, 2013 6:31 PM

Dec 2012
Guns47 said:
MoeGalacticHero said:
Guns47 said:
the last six pages didn't happen.
What do you think happened?

I think the last six pages didn't happen.

If you want an explanation other than Unreliable Narrator, you can assume it was a hallucination brought on by dehydration, hypothermia and imminent death.Narrarator? Isn't it third person omniscient? It's not like we saw the scene from one of the dying character's points of view. I think it's more likely lazy storytelling, based on what we've seen from this manga before. Oku isn't one for subtlety and I believe he'd make that more overt if it were true.

Now then. Is it just me or is this mptherfucker the dude from No Country For Old Men:
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jun 26, 2013 6:50 PM
Jul 2010
This is my problem with manga. I love reading it but i know that in almost every manga the author never gives a proper conclusion to the story :p
Jun 27, 2013 3:03 AM
Jun 2013
To be honest, the ending was "Meh". It didn't leave me thinking and it didn't satisfy me either. I felt that the alien situation was a tad cliche and i skipped some pages because it was so boring. There weren't any badass fights from what I could see.
Jun 27, 2013 6:12 AM

May 2011
Even though the last chapter was bit plain....but somehow it made me feel sad T_T
''I was dead serious''

Jun 27, 2013 9:49 AM
Oct 2010
Last chapter felt too rushed. Love Gantz, but that ending was LAME!

Also, whatever happened to little Takeshi?? I was hoping him and muscle man dude would meet each other again. :/
Jun 27, 2013 10:21 AM

Feb 2012
Mem521 said:
Just remember what it said at the end, he is working on other projects. That’s why we got this half assed ending; he wants to do something new. 13 years is a long time.

Pretty much every manga ends with that line for your information.
Jun 27, 2013 1:35 PM

Feb 2013
Zhou said:
Mem521 said:
Just remember what it said at the end, he is working on other projects. That’s why we got this half assed ending; he wants to do something new. 13 years is a long time.

I know, but i feel like there was greater emphasis on it then other manga.
Jun 27, 2013 5:56 PM

Nov 2011
MoeGalacticHero said:
Guns47 said:
MoeGalacticHero said:
Guns47 said:
the last six pages didn't happen.
What do you think happened?

I think the last six pages didn't happen.

If you want an explanation other than Unreliable Narrator, you can assume it was a hallucination brought on by dehydration, hypothermia and imminent death.
Narrarator? Isn't it third person omniscient? It's not like we saw the scene from one of the dying character's points of view. I think it's more likely lazy storytelling, based on what we've seen from this manga before. Oku isn't one for subtlety and I believe he'd make that more overt if it were true.

Now then. Is it just me or is this mptherfucker the dude from No Country For Old Men:

I thought exactly the same, its even creepier...

13 years of hard work turning a manga into an addiction to fans and then ruin it...

I hope Miura(Berserk) doesn't do the same mistake as Oku.

Jun 27, 2013 7:31 PM

Feb 2011
Mem521 said:
Zhou said:
Mem521 said:

I know, but i feel like there was greater emphasis on it then other manga.

Now that's just a lazy excuse not to think.
Jun 27, 2013 8:09 PM

Aug 2012
Mewfeuille said:
Last chapter felt too rushed. Love Gantz, but that ending was LAME!

Also, whatever happened to little Takeshi?? I was hoping him and muscle man dude would meet each other again. :/
You can see them both on the finale page.
Jun 28, 2013 10:04 AM

Jan 2012
trash!!!!!!
Jun 28, 2013 10:59 AM
Feb 2013
Itachi_0893 said:
So one of the best manga I've ever read have a shitty ending, I feel so disappointed, last time was cage of eden and now Gantz.

This deserves to be in the top of the worst manga endings.

I 100% agree. I hated how they ended such a good manga like this. Cage of Eden and Gantz both rushed the ending and made it look like a pile of shit. :/
Jun 28, 2013 12:42 PM

Apr 2009
just read it.
at some point of the osaka arc i thought to myself that gantz will be my favorite manga of all time.
i aint thinkin that anymore.
Jun 28, 2013 1:17 PM

Dec 2008
Quite the anti-climactic ending, I must say. Glad it's over.
Jun 28, 2013 1:37 PM

Jun 2013
another great manga with horrible ending to the list.
what a waste!!
:(
Jun 28, 2013 8:19 PM

Jan 2013
amazing manga

1 more chapter would have helped for a better ending but none the less an amazing manga

started with Kei and Kato, ends with Kei and Kato

again an amazing manga
Jun 28, 2013 9:21 PM

Jun 2010
No closure for any character.
Jun 29, 2013 4:06 PM

Oct 2007
Is there a huge price in money given out to the worst possible ending? Because this manga sure seems to compete for it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 29, 2013 9:22 PM
Nov 2008
I liked the font they used for the The End. Beautiful.

Jun 29, 2013 10:46 PM

Jan 2011
yup earth is saved, as expected

nothing much is being explained, I guess this one is just to enjoy the process

overall a nice manga
Jun 30, 2013 5:15 AM

Aug 2011
This series went from a 9 to a 10 to a 9 then finally ended at an 8.

What a shame, since this was really good back during the Osaka arc. This whole final alien invasion arc ruined the series for me.
Jun 30, 2013 8:53 AM

May 2008
Complexity said:
This series went from a 9 to a 10 to a 9 then finally ended at an 8.

What a shame, since this was really good back during the Osaka arc. This whole final alien invasion arc ruined the series for me.

100% agree
Jun 30, 2013 11:06 AM

Jun 2008
wow it's been shitty for 80 chapters but i didn't think the ending would be this lame.
hated it
Jul 1, 2013 8:56 PM

Jun 2013
the typical war heroes saving earth and coming home to their girlfriend and kato coming home to his little brother, it could have ended so much better, my only favourite thing was how kato was drawn (¬‿¬)
gabwaiiAug 25, 2013 2:15 PM
Jul 1, 2013 9:07 PM

Feb 2011
Wow, one of the worst endings I've ever seen.
Oku completely ruined his once so fantastic masterpiece in the last 2, 3 years.
Only getting a 7 from me, even though it was at 10 for years and my favourite manga for a long time.

That's just sad.
Jul 3, 2013 9:23 AM
Jun 2013
Gantz more like free fall theory applied to manga.

I pine for the time when Gantz was Gantz and not a mediocre rehash of Independence Day.
Jul 4, 2013 6:17 AM

Feb 2011
MoeGalacticHero said:
Kuchenlight said:
Wow, one of the worst endings I've ever seen.
Oku completely ruined his once so fantastic masterpiece in the last 2, 3 years.
Only getting a 7 from me, even though it was at 10 for years and my favourite manga for a long time.

That's just sad.

Yeah, for me it went from an 8 to a 10 to a 7 to a 6 to a 4 to a 3. This is the only time my score has gone down by that much over the course of a manga.

Damn, that's heavy. ^^"
Jul 4, 2013 7:56 PM

Nov 2011
That ending was bitterly disappointing. I'm going to give it a 6 or 7 out of 10.
Jul 5, 2013 6:27 AM
Dec 2008
omg, are you serious, people ?

The whole thing is just about despair, and Kurono doing his best in the worst situations. The manga describe the evolution of that Kurono that wanted to became as he was before (never thinking about defeat), and everyone one following him for this side of him.
Even kaito is only built on this idea of becoming like Kurono was, that's the point since like, chapter 2?

All the characters were here just to support this thing, because it's all about despair and hope, the manga is wonderfull because of that.

The manga didn't spend a single chapter aside of that, and you people just wanted a lovely story of the characters in a totaly non dangerous situation?

Just because you didn't have the epilogue you wanted doesn't mean this is a bad end.

If you think this is a crappy ending, it's because you didn't read it right!
Jul 6, 2013 1:26 AM
Jul 2013
the ending was lacking

but it's funny to see it end so peacefully after a nonstop onslaught of death and gore for 380+ chapters

sorta like the author saying both himself and the characters had enough
Jul 6, 2013 2:02 AM
Jul 2013
hey people remember how they were floating in the sea for 3 day and he gave up.

Isn't it likely that he was hallucinating and acutally died...i would like to hear some thoughts on this..
Jul 8, 2013 1:47 AM
Jul 2011
The ending just made me feel....kind of numb. I expect it would be this bad and rushed but I'm not even angry over it really. Gantz quality has been in a decline for a long time, pretty much after th Osaka arc and the way Oku was throwing so many plot threads at the wall...I think he just had enough.

Also looking back some of Oku's older work I've noticed he's never been that good with endings in general, for some reason there was a slim chance he could have done better with Gantz considering how long it ran but with how the ending came out it seems to be par for the course with past series. Only difference was that Gantz lasted much, much longer so the mediorce ending stings more than usual.

I'll just say this, despite the ending I enjoyed Gantz for the most part. The beginning to the Osaka arc some of the most enteraining and bizarre moments rollercoaster moments of anime/manga for me. I'm glad to finally to be able to check this series off since it wasn't no where as good as it used to be. Farewell Gantz.
Jul 9, 2013 4:46 AM

Jan 2010
it could be better, yes, but i actually thought it would be much, much worse.
and even if it IS rushed, the ending is okay. clear and straight, like it should be.

still, if you think the ending was awful, remember the vampire arc.
now THAT was a horrible piece of dogshit.
hate capital letters.
deal with it.
Jul 9, 2013 6:43 PM

Feb 2010
Outstanding turn for the worst.
Jul 10, 2013 11:13 AM
Jul 2013
Look, I know that many of you are very discontent by the very un-cathartic ending. I agree that it leaves no closure to many of the questions we want answered, like "will Katou marry that 24 year old girl with that possible dead baby of hers?" and "What about the giant spaceship? Did that explode on Earth?" The ending is way to lazy and we all know it.

But I want to defend Gantz, because in my perspective, there was a solid ending that occurred a couple of chapters before episode 383. And personally, Katou and Kurono's love life and the exploding spaceship are secondary to what Gantz was trying to accomplish. For me, I interpreted the manga as a very philosophical work. It's about trying to find meaning, logos, in a world that seems to be none. It's a very existential work, not nihilist at all, with many characters coming to realize that meaning in life does not exist beyond what you make of it. Many characters suffered from the spiritual emptiness they felt, and Kurono especially abandoned any presence of God for Tae-chan. God, man, meaning, survival are all independent elements trying to find connection with each other. But that again becomes hard to accomplish when the giants appear and blow up the freaking planet.

Yet in chapter 370, all the philosophical questions become answered when the Gantz team meets "god" after Kurono kept on reminding himself that there is none. Well, he was wrong to a certain degree, because he meets that freaky behemoth who answers all the question. And it is here, I argue, where the story finds is closure in its symbolic level. The questions of god, meaning, and such that have been a plague to the characters as well as the readers that finally find some sort of resolution. After this point, everything else that happens is not that important.

What made Gantz so great was the ability to challenge not only the boundaries of manga in general, but also to challenge your mind. For example, I remember the exasperation when understanding the mental schism of Tonkotsu when the meaning of his life, his girlfriend, is lost due to the giants. But when he seeks revenge, only regret and despair, not catharsis, is achieved. Just how powerful those moments were, I can't seem to forget. The fight scenes, the overt sexuality (which I also have my theories on), and the amazing drawings were thing on the literal level that captivated the readers. But we also should consider the symbolic, and how the two registers interact with each other dynamically. I don't think we should consider Gantz bad because the ending had no closures. I mean, come on! The manga was never about closures, but opening up the possibilities since the beginning!
Jul 10, 2013 12:49 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'm a bit dissapointed at how rushed the ending felt. I got the feeling that Oku just wanted to be done with it.

Nevertheless, I'd say that the first half of this manga is perhaps one of the best action/sci-fi stories in print. I loved the WTF element that Gantz used to have and the social commentary was thought provoking too. Kei Kurono came a long way from the douche of a teenager he was. I also enjoyed the great art and Oku's depictions of gorgeous, voluptuous women.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 11, 2013 6:15 AM

Jan 2012
That was a nice chapter, can't believe gantz is finished now :(
Jul 11, 2013 8:28 AM

Mar 2013
This is it? ... THIS IS IT??? ... fuck.

IMO Gantz should have ended after Kurono got killed by the vampires. It would have been a better ending.
Jul 12, 2013 1:40 AM

May 2010
That was way to rushed...enough said. Second failed ending i read in a manga...at least not as bad as vampire knight....

So sick now, glad i decide to wait for the inevitable...
Air-DragonAug 10, 2013 10:17 AM
Jul 12, 2013 9:27 AM
Oct 2010
_Ayane_ said:
Ohw my god THAT'S IT?
The earth is saved and the heroes survived??? This is so Hollywood!

the fact that many characters are actually based on hollywood idols irl should've been a warning sign realy, i've been sighing for the last dozen+ chapters but hell, that poorpiss of an ending even managed to butcher whatever was good in this manga , 0/5 that was increadibly shyt.
Jul 12, 2013 10:58 AM
Sep 2010
The "final phase" should have never been made...

The best manga, the worst ending.
Jul 16, 2013 2:32 PM

Apr 2012
When it was good, this was one of the best manga's ever made. But the ending is a bit flat and a lot of plot holes went unexplained.

Let's see what his author does next.
Jul 16, 2013 8:26 PM
Jul 2013
I re-wrote the later part of the final arc and the ending, starting from about where Kurono takes the alien hostage, and re-writing everything after that:

http://lemongrahb.tumblr.com/post/55607238651

I wanted the closing chapters of the story to reflect the brutal, harsh reality that made the earlier chapters so good. I was not a fan of KEI-CHAN/TAE-CHAN crying, but I didn't want to alter the fundamental truth that their relationship was a core part of the final story, I just resolved it in a different way that I think will have most of you going :-O or :-D or both.

The final war could have been the epic struggle it was built up to be, full of moral gray areas, tough choices, and sacrifice. The ending turns out to be a lot happier for some characters than others. Kurono gets a "happy" ending, but it isn't the ending he would have wanted.

This was a rough draft I wrote in 1 sitting late at night after I read the final chapters. It isn't perfect. I'm not that happy with the setting for the epilogue but I figured it would get the job done. I debated opening the epilogue with Kurono having a tender moment with Tae, only to wake up next to _______. I think I'd put something like that in a more polished draft to show that Kurono's ending torments him, but if I added all those detailed scenes, this would have been 20x longer.
Jul 18, 2013 7:15 PM
Jul 2013
I`ve seen awesome endings, great endings, good endings, regular endings, bad endings, horrible endings and Gantz...
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is it that Gantz has that makes people seethe, that Berserk doesn't have?

HeroicIdeal - Jun 11

12 by HeroicIdeal »»
Jun 18, 8:34 PM

Poll: » Gantz Chapter 83 Discussion

becool - Jun 17, 2013

9 by Blazinnie »»
Apr 17, 7:31 PM

» Gantz Deluxe Edition

Mila91 - Apr 8

4 by Sagepool »»
Apr 8, 11:01 PM

Poll: » Gantz Chapter 22 Discussion

KitaTsuki - Nov 17, 2012

6 by selasgamer »»
Mar 29, 6:59 AM

Poll: » Gantz Chapter 21 Discussion

BackLashWave - Jan 14, 2012

6 by selasgamer »»
Mar 29, 6:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.