Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

How can 'Attack on Titan' contain only 25 episodes if the manga is still ongoing?

Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 1, 2013 8:34 PM

Jul 2008
At it's current pacing, I don't think we are going to see an anime original ending. The fact that it has stayed so true to the manga is definitely one factor in that, and so are so the BR/DVD sales so far. Also, the animation in the 2nd OP seems to give a hint of where it will probably end...

Spoiler for those that haven't read the manga.

If it ends there as a cliffhanger, that means 33 chapters have been covered in the first 2-cour season. With the amount of material out now and the current rate it is being released (monthly), a 2nd season could begin in Fall 2014 and cover the exact same amount of material... the 15 chapters already released + 12 more chapters that will be released between now and Fall 2014 + 6 chapters released during the airing of the show = 33 chapters.

Although, just because there would be enough to animate another 2-cour season starting in Fall 2014 doesn't mean it will happen then. A lot will depend on the pacing of the manga. Thankfully, it has a definite plot trajectory in mind and is steadily following the story without too many random tangents. If they plan on following the manga exactly, it would make more sense to release Season 2 closer to Fall 2015, so that when it ends, the wait for a tentative 3rd season wouldn't be ridiculously long.

So it really seems that it is dependent on how many chapters Hajime Isaya thinks his story will be told in... something I'd venture to say he probably has a solid idea on given that the story seems to be unfolding in a manner that hints at the fact that he already knows how it will end and how he wants to get to that ending. Another factor will be in which way the Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin brand as a whole will draw in the most money. Just because we haven't read or seen the whole thing doesn't mean that the story isn't finished in Isaya's mind or that he doesn't have an idea what plot points (fights, etc.) he would potentially want to highlight. It could pull a Game of Thrones type of scenario, where the author has already given the general storyline and ending to the TV show's writers and producers already so they can stay true to the story even if the final books of the series are released after the events in them have already occurred in the TV show.

Right now, Attack on Titan is a cash cow, and you can be sure that they are going to try to milk it right ^.^ I'd venture to say that the idea of waiting too long between releases (especially if they don't go in an anime only direction) and having the manga series lose some of its popularity and relevancy is a big issue to consider.

It will be interesting to see how they end this season, because it could ultimately determine whether or not we wind up with another FMA/FMA:Brotherhood scenario or just 1 1/2 - 2 year waits in between 2-cour seasons of only source material (potentially with some side thrown in... like the "Before the Fall" prequel).

----
the TL;DR version

If the anime follows the manga
-likely cliffhanger could be the events of Chapter 33 "The Wall" of the manga
-this would allow for a new 2-cour season with enough source material to cover as early as Fall 2014
-HOWEVER Fall 2014 would be early, since it would end with every bit of material covered up to that point causing a giant wait for enough new source material for another season
-Considering it's popularity and straight-forward plotline, the anime could potentially pull ahead of the manga if Hajime Isaya provides a plot outline beforehand
-If manga source material continues to be released first and two additional 2-cour (25 episode) seasons are released... releases of Spring 2015 and Fall 2016 would PROBABLY be enough of a time gap to cover the material at the pace it is going, especially if they decide on a movie ending too.
-$$$$$
killbethySep 1, 2013 8:42 PM
Sep 3, 2013 7:36 AM

Nov 2009
As long as it will not have an original ending we can hope for season 2 if it was popular enough (and with no fillers). Personally I'd rather watch than read Attack on titan since the artwork in the anime is far superior than it's source material.
Sep 6, 2013 5:46 AM

Mar 2013
how long will I wait?? ~_~
Sep 8, 2013 2:17 AM
Aug 2013
Ok, the final episode titles have been released:
23 - Smile
24 - Mercy
25 - Wall

This suggest that it will end as a cliffhanger, ending at the Female Titan arc.

The anime is way too successful to end now. There will be a 2nd season. The Question is when.

Also remember, manga chapters aren't the only source material. The anime could choose to adapt:
- Bonus Chapters
- Visual Novels (From Nitroplus, stories supervised by Isayama himself)
- Before the Fall (Based on the prequel light novel)

We just have to be patient and im sure we will get a 2nd season sometime in the future.
Sep 8, 2013 2:24 AM
Aug 2013
The franchise already has a manga, a anime adaption, 3 spin-off mangas, light novels, visual novels, video games (mobile, pc & 3ds) and even a live-action film.

Trust me, don't worry because they're going to milk this series for all it's worth.
AutoOps007Sep 8, 2013 3:29 AM
Sep 8, 2013 2:51 AM

Mar 2012
Because it consists of fandom! :D I am surprised Haruhi hasn't been introduced here yet.
Sep 8, 2013 4:16 AM

Jul 2013
All anime is like that. That's why there are more than one season. You have to wait.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Sep 8, 2013 4:21 AM

Aug 2012
Needs more chapters to be release, so probably season 2 will occur in the future
Sep 9, 2013 11:02 AM

Oct 2012
I've read the manga so it's not so bad for me as a I know where the story is going but it seems like episode 25 is going to be in their cinema's so people may end up waiting a long time for the final episode.
Sep 9, 2013 11:15 AM

May 2009
Vodkas said:
I've read the manga so it's not so bad for me as a I know where the story is going but it seems like episode 25 is going to be in their cinema's so people may end up waiting a long time for the final episode.

it's not exclusively on the cinema, it will also air normally like the rest of the season :)
Sep 9, 2013 4:04 PM

Mar 2013
Holy shit either OP is a glorious troll or SnK fans are truly one of the most dense fanbases.

It doesn't even matter if you're new to anime/manga. This is like seeing the first Harry Potter film when it came out and just standing up during the credits screaming "HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? THERE ARE MORE BOOKS AND ONLY 1 FILM?!"

Either way 10/10 I laughed.
Sep 9, 2013 4:13 PM

Jul 2013
petch said:
Holy shit either OP is a glorious troll or SnK fans are truly one of the most dense fanbases.

It doesn't even matter if you're new to anime/manga. This is like seeing the first Harry Potter film when it came out and just standing up during the credits screaming "HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? THERE ARE MORE BOOKS AND ONLY 1 FILM?!"

Either way 10/10 I laughed.

You haven't heard of anime original endings I take it?
Deconstruction ≠ Darker & Edgier
Trope ≠ Cliché (Face it, nothing is completely original. Can't make something from nothing so to say.).
Fanservice ≠ Ecchi (Though ecchi can please the fans!)
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe
Seinen = K-ON! Shounen, Shoujo, Seinen and Josei are demographics.
Anime/Manga = Japanese Cartoons! Deal with it.

Support Movember. Raise awareness of men's health issues. Put a mustache on your avatars or something...
Sep 9, 2013 4:32 PM

Sep 2011
Holybaptiser said:
OfficialGuts said:
Holybaptiser said:
There are enough chapters to adapt into a 25 episode anime. Whether it'll be an open ending that'll lead to a second season or if it'll have an anime-original ending is still in question.
I hope for a Berserk ending with an actual second season in production for later years.
Berserk, the manga, will never end. The author is more than likely going to die before he finishes writing it. You'll never see a complete Berserk.

So about that manga that is never going to end... What was it again?

Also, MANY Anime are adapted from series that are still ongoing. Hell, I would say 25 eps is rather uncommon for Anime adaptations these days
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Sep 9, 2013 6:42 PM

Jan 2013
AutoOps007 said:
Ok, the final episode titles have been released:
23 - Smile
24 - Mercy
25 - Wall

This suggest that it will end as a cliffhanger, ending at the Female Titan arc.

The anime is way too successful to end now. There will be a 2nd season. The Question is when.

Also remember, manga chapters aren't the only source material. The anime could choose to adapt:
- Bonus Chapters
- Visual Novels (From Nitroplus, stories supervised by Isayama himself)
- Before the Fall (Based on the prequel light novel)

We just have to be patient and im sure we will get a 2nd season sometime in the future.

This is very very good !!
Sep 9, 2013 6:44 PM

Dec 2009
Because they're going to make other seasons you idiot.
Lock this stupid Thread.
Sep 9, 2013 10:51 PM

Jul 2013
waalex11 said:
Because they're going to make other seasons you idiot.
Lock this stupid Thread.

Chill dude! Though I have to say, this thread is old news.
Trope ≠ Cliché (Face it, nothing is completely original. Can't make something from nothing so to say.).
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe

Support Movember. Raise awareness of men's health issues. Put a mustache on your avatars or something...
Sep 15, 2013 4:14 PM
Sep 2013
Attack X on X Titans 2015 we start from episode one attack but gon, I mean Eren face look a little different.
Sep 16, 2013 6:49 AM
Sep 2013
Elohimburger said:
Attack X on X Titans 2015 we start from episode one attack but gon, I mean Eren face look a little different.

What are you talking about? XD
Sep 22, 2013 2:17 AM
Sep 2013
I think the answer is very obvious: the anime is catching up with the manga. Think about it, the manga only got up to 50 but the anime is already on 25th ep. Bear in mind that anime and manga eps are not one for one; one anime ep is equal to a number of manga eps. The anime production company is screwed if at some point they are no longer able to proceed. This is also bad for the author who has to rush the work just to keep a distance with the anime ep
Sep 22, 2013 4:04 AM

Oct 2010
Tavor said:
Just wait for Attack on Titan: Brotherhood.

lol
Sep 28, 2013 1:22 PM

Jan 2012
Well there's a lot of unsolved mysteries in the anime so I'm assuming their planning on having a second season anyway.
Sep 28, 2013 1:23 PM

Jan 2012
Well there's a lot of unsolved mysteries in the anime so I'm assuming their planning on having a second season anyway.
Sep 28, 2013 1:49 PM

Aug 2013
edwinian said:
I think the answer is very obvious: the anime is catching up with the manga. Think about it, the manga only got up to 50 but the anime is already on 25th ep. Bear in mind that anime and manga eps are not one for one; one anime ep is equal to a number of manga eps. The anime production company is screwed if at some point they are no longer able to proceed. This is also bad for the author who has to rush the work just to keep a distance with the anime ep

That is correct. However it doesn't answer another question, whether there will be a second season where the anime goes on with the manga, or there will be an original anime ending in this season.
Sep 28, 2013 4:46 PM

Apr 2013
Ever heard of a Season 2?
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Sep 28, 2013 4:47 PM

Jul 2012
Tavor said:
Just wait for Attack on Titan: Brotherhood.

Starring Armin and Eren, using equivalent exchange to save Momma Yaeger.
Sep 28, 2013 4:49 PM

Nov 2010
Noudouteki said:
Ever heard of a Season 2?
What are those?
Sep 29, 2013 3:06 AM
Sep 2013
Hello!

Anyone know which chapter of the manga one should pick up on, to continue from where the anime stopped?

Thanks in advance.
Sep 29, 2013 3:09 AM

Jun 2008
weezar said:
Hello!

Anyone know which chapter of the manga one should pick up on, to continue from where the anime stopped?

Thanks in advance.

Chapter 33. Things have changed here and there, enjoy.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 29, 2013 3:15 AM
Sep 2013
Yay! Thanks so much for the fast reply. ^_^
I have one more question, the OVA arc comes after chapter 33 or it has happened already?

And another one: Do mangas always read from right to left? o_O
weezarSep 29, 2013 3:19 AM
Sep 29, 2013 3:24 AM

Jun 2008
weezar said:
I have one more question, the OVA arc comes after chapter 33 or it has happened already?

The OVA episode is actually from chapter 18.5 so it came before chapter 33. It is a special chapter in the manga that holds some of the very important information in the story. In the anime, they didn't included it because it would feel out of place so they made it into an OVA instead. The fact that they are including that chapter in the anime is a good thing because it's a sign that they might be continuing the series.

To read manga, you always start from right to left. Start from the very top right hand corner of the page then across the left corner of the page then move on to the next panel. :)

Example:
http://www.mangaforkids.com/images/howto-single_page.jpg
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 29, 2013 3:27 AM
Sep 2013
Thanks again. I'll be sure to read that one before continuing to 33 and 34.

Edit: Oh and another one (stupid brain stop coming up with questions), are there any other chapters that weren't covered in the anime? xD
Sep 29, 2013 3:29 AM

Jul 2013
weezar said:

You didn't just say that. You must be new lol. And yes, get use to it, they all read right to left.
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe

Sep 29, 2013 3:30 AM
Sep 2013
Yep I'm new, SnK Anime made me interested in reading the Manga. ^_^

Sorry for editing my above post, your quote makes a little less sense now, but since estherella also edited her post with the answer, my post would also not make sense. ahahaha
Sep 29, 2013 3:31 AM

Jun 2008
weezar said:
Thanks again. I'll be sure to read that one before continuing to 33 and 34.

Also not sure if you missed my 2nd question on the above post or purposefuly ignored it so I'll ask again.

Do mangas always read from right to left, and is that because of Japanese also being read from right to left? (no clue if this is correct. xD)

Edit: Oh and another one (stupid brain stop coming up with questions), are there any other chapters that weren't covered in the anime? xD

You've missed the edited post that i gave you:

To read manga, you always start from right to left. Start from the very top right hand corner of the page then across the left corner of the page then move on to the next panel. :)

Example:
http://www.mangaforkids.com/images/howto-single_page.jpg

In asian culture whether it's chinese, japanese or korean- they read pages from right to left instead of the american way (left to right) particularly in novel series.

There are no chapters that were missed in the anime but some minor details were left out. But overall, it is 98% accurate and following the manga.
Sep 29, 2013 3:32 AM
Sep 2013
Nope I did not miss it. Omg! Edit madness. xD

I believe you missed my edit now tho.

Are there any other manga chapters not covered in the anime?
Sep 29, 2013 3:34 AM

Jun 2008
weezar said:

Estherella said:

There are no chapters that were missed in the anime but some minor details were left out. But overall, it is 98% accurate and following the manga. Just that the order of the things were changed around so that it's much easier to understand in the anime.

So much editing X'D....
Sep 29, 2013 3:37 AM
Sep 2013
Estherella said:
So much editing X'D....

Yes, edit-ception? xD

Anyway that is not important.

I'm very grateful for your accurate and helpful answers, and will now proceed to read chapters 32, 33, 18.5 and 34 in that order. hehehe.

:D

[/edit] :P
Sep 29, 2013 3:38 AM

Jul 2013
weezar said:

Try chapter 17, there's a small piece concerning Annie and Eren's relationship. Oh and things like Eren's monologue on wanting to be seen as a monster anymore, or things like Mikasa saying she'll make up for her blunder that caused Levi to injure himself in other chapters.
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe

Sep 29, 2013 3:40 AM
Sep 2013
HalfMetalJacket said:
weezar said:

Try chapter 17, there's a small piece concerning Annie and Eren's relationship. Oh and things like Eren's monologue on wanting to be seen as a monster anymore, or things like Mikasa saying she'll make up for her blunder that caused Levi to injure himself in other chapters.

Thanks, I'll read 32, 33, 17, 18.5, 34 now. ^_^
Sep 29, 2013 3:42 AM

Jul 2013
weezar said:
HalfMetalJacket said:
weezar said:

Actually, scratch that. Read the whole damn thing. That way you understand just how amazing the anime was in many places. Oh maybe find more little things here and there.
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe

Sep 29, 2013 3:44 AM
Sep 2013
HalfMetalJacket said:
weezar said:
HalfMetalJacket said:
weezar said:

Actually, scratch that. Read the whole damn thing. That way you understand just how amazing the anime was in many places. Oh maybe find more little things here and there.

Wouldn't be able to do it just for the small details, since I know most of the story already. But thanks for the suggestion. ^_^
Sep 29, 2013 3:47 AM
Jul 2013
HalfMetalJacket said:

Now I find it funny that Eren actually said he didn't want to be seen or treated as a monster because of his titan's power. Because I always think he is a "monster" whether with or without his titanity. Levi even mentioned it point-blankly during their chase.
Sep 29, 2013 3:49 AM

Jun 2008
yuquall said:
HalfMetalJacket said:

Now I find it funny that Eren actually said he didn't want to be seen or treated as a monster because of his titan's power. Because I always think he is a "monster" whether with or without his titanity. Levi even mentioned it point-blankly during their chase.

It doesn't really matter what the viewers think but the point of the chapter was to show his character development. One of the changes that i didn't like about the anime was how they butchered eren's character development because there were details here and there that were left out which was meant to show his growth and maturity. He eventually doesn't have that "I want to kill all the titans" mindset anymore but the anime is still showing that.

In fact, a whole handful of eren's haters actually came from the anime. Before the anime came out, not a lot of people actually view him as some rage boy and there weren't so many haters. It wasn't the impression that everyone have from him, he more of an idealistic person who strongly value justice and see the world in black and white.
EstherellaSep 29, 2013 4:01 AM
Sep 29, 2013 3:50 AM
Sep 2013
best and famous anime or manga, will never end in short times, we just waiting next session. amma sure the author also extra work to create awesome story to hpnotize their fans, LOLL include whom produce that anime...
Sep 29, 2013 4:25 AM
Jul 2013
Estherella said:

It doesn't really matter what the viewers think but the point of the chapter was to show his character development. One of the changes that i didn't like about the anime was how they butchered eren's character development because there were details here and there that were left out which was meant to show his growth and maturity. He eventually doesn't have that "I want to kill all the titans" mindset anymore but the anime is still showing that.

In fact, a whole handful of eren's haters actually came from the anime. Before the anime came out, not a lot of people actually view him as some rage boy and there weren't so many haters. It wasn't the impression that everyone have from him, he more of an idealistic person who strongly value justice and see the world in black and white.

Oh I know that. I just think it's funny how he thought everyone saw him as a monster solely because of his power but never thought of his own behavior or action might have actually be the reasons too. Good thing that he has changed, unfortunately the anime didn't allow him to do just that.
Sep 29, 2013 4:28 AM

Jul 2013
yuquall said:
Estherella said:

Oh I know that. I just think it's funny how he thought everyone saw him as a monster solely because of his power but never thought of his own behavior or action might have actually be the reasons too. Good thing that he has changed, unfortunately the anime didn't allow him to do just that.

Why Studio Wit, why?
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe

Sep 29, 2013 4:29 AM

Jun 2008
yuquall said:
Estherella said:

That's one of the weird thing about Eren. Everything about him is such a contradiction. Labeling him as just a blind rage boy doesn't sound quite right, saying he's an idealistic hero isn't completely right either. Saying he's dumb is not exactly it since he does use his brain and all of his actions were logical and understandable. His character has a bit of this and that, it's a just whole bundle mixture of traits so it didn't feel right when he's confined to a certain archetype because he exhibit quite a few other qualities. I remember in one of Hajime Isayama's interview where he have commented on how he hasn't quite grasp his true character just yet and Eren was the hardest for him to write.
EstherellaSep 29, 2013 4:36 AM
Sep 29, 2013 4:43 AM
Sep 2013
Estherella said:

That's one of the weird thing about Eren. Everything about him is such a contradiction. Labeling him as just a blind rage boy doesn't sound quite right, saying he's an idealistic hero isn't completely right either. Saying he's dumb is not exactly it since he does use his brain and all of his actions were logical and understandable. His character has a bit of this and that, it's a just whole bundle mixture of traits so it didn't feel right when he's confined to a certain archetype because he exhibit quite a few other qualities. I remember in one of Hajime Isayama's interview where he have commented on how he hasn't quite grasp his true character just yet and Eren was the hardest for him to write.

I think all of that is what makes him human, all the archetypes and stereotypes usually portrayed in most fictions (anime, manga, tvshows, movies) all of those, they are not real, and even tho sometimes you meet someone who looks like a full blown archetype or stereotype, that person will still "not fit the frame in some parts", while I believe most people don't fit any archetype or stereotype, we're all unique and different, and that's part of what makes us human.
Sep 29, 2013 4:48 AM

Jun 2008
weezar said:
Estherella said:

I think all of that is what makes him human, all the archetypes and stereotypes usually portrayed in most fictions (anime, manga, tvshows, movies) all of those, they are not real, and even tho sometimes you meet someone who looks like a full blown archetype or stereotype, that person will still "not fit the frame in some parts", while I believe most people don't fit any archetype or stereotype, we're all unique and different, and that's part of what makes us human.

^And that is what i sincerely believe Hajime Isayama wanted to portray. You have worded exactly what i get from him :) Bravo! One of the intriguing thing about snk is that it places a lot of emphasis on human nature. Throughout the series, that's how all the characters were represented, nothing more or less from that of a human.
Sep 29, 2013 4:52 AM

Jul 2013
I think there will be a season 2. The Manga only has like 49 chapters so far and the first season covers around 30-35 chapters so its probably just waiting for new chapters.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1659 by AvenSawanami »»
Yesterday, 7:21 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2013

993 by AvenSawanami »»
Jun 20, 5:41 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2013

1558 by cosmic_cosmo »»
Jun 19, 9:51 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

omega_d94 - Aug 17, 2013

499 by LotteGiants »»
Jun 19, 9:48 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MermaidGalaxies - May 11, 2013

952 by LotteGiants »»
Jun 17, 6:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.