Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »
Jun 4, 2013 12:34 PM
Feb 2011
linchpin said:
@Ncrdrg The Evolvers WERE NOT MODIFYING ANYONE FORCIBLY (I.E. WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT)

The were a number of countries that supported them. They had VOLUNTEERS. Nowhere it was said that they were experimenting on people without their consent.

You're mistaken in other points too, but this is the most important one.

What about the little girl? Or are you gonna argue with me that this little girl actually had a choice? Because if you do, you're gonna have to tell me that statutory rape is wrong to stay consistent because minors can't consent to such things. Too young to understand what's happening.

But let's say their ethical concerns stop there (I have my doubts about that though, why else would they hide what they were doing to the point it had to be leaked?). It doesn't change that the Union attempted to leave Earth and never come back. That's trying to run from the fight. At this point, the Evolvers could have stayed and then lived in space as they wished while the Union would live in peace elsewhere. But we all know that's not what they did. So if they had any moral high ground, they lost it all right there.
Jun 4, 2013 12:39 PM
Feb 2011
Ajunky said:
Ncrdrg said:
As for the de-evolution. I think the evidence is there. When they're younger, they seem more intelligent, more capable of independent thought, they seem to communicate. But as they mature, they turn into whalesquids, become of a hive mind and lose all ability to communicate as their bestial instincts take over. Their reactions so far points towards that.
While the evidence is too thin at this point, here's a possibility:

Maybe there's a mix of creatures with different degrees of intelligence. The Hideauze (Earth or Space variants) could very well have a complex social structure based on this. So the whalesquid could be nothing more than "lowly" sentinels, while "better developed" races live protected by them. The squeezed squid girl could very well have been one of those or simply on the next step of the social/intelligence chain.

Then again, with so little time to develop left, I could be overthinking it...

I don't think they have variants other than what seems to be a Queen and whalesquids. Remember the guy that volunteered? Looked humanoid at first then gradually turned into a whalesquid. And the Hideauze really seem to be working no differently from say... bees. I believe they look human at first and as they grow older, they become more and more like a whalesquid. Do I have a hard proof that they have no intelligence? No. That being said, if millions of years passed and they still kill on sight when you approach their territory despite not being in a war anymore, it certainly makes it sound like they became more like animals.
Jun 4, 2013 12:55 PM

Nov 2011
Ncrdrg said:
linchpin said:
@Ncrdrg The Evolvers WERE NOT MODIFYING ANYONE FORCIBLY (I.E. WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT)

The were a number of countries that supported them. They had VOLUNTEERS. Nowhere it was said that they were experimenting on people without their consent.

You're mistaken in other points too, but this is the most important one.

What about the little girl? Or are you gonna argue with me that this little girl actually had a choice? Because if you do, you're gonna have to tell me that statutory rape is wrong to stay consistent because minors can't consent to such things. Too young to understand what's happening.

But let's say their ethical concerns stop there (I have my doubts about that though, why else would they hide what they were doing to the point it had to be leaked?). It doesn't change that the Union attempted to leave Earth and never come back. That's trying to run from the fight. At this point, the Evolvers could have stayed and then lived in space as they wished while the Union would live in peace elsewhere. But we all know that's not what they did. So if they had any moral high ground, they lost it all right there.

Her Papa was squidified, so she probably wanted to be with her family. Is it ethical for parents to choose squidification for their family to be able to go into space? You could argue about the ethics of this, but she didn't seem unhappy. Anyway...

The CU WERE NOT RUNNING AWAY FROM THE EVOLVERS. They were planning to strand them on Earth and gain a headstart in the Universe. Fai explained this before. The Evolvers had no means of interstellar travel at that time.

GET DROPBOX HERE!
Bonus space for you and me with this link! Now 500MB per referral, up to 16GB from referrals alone.
Jun 4, 2013 1:23 PM
Feb 2011
linchpin said:

The CU WERE NOT RUNNING AWAY FROM THE EVOLVERS. They were planning to strand them on Earth and gain a headstart in the Universe. Fai explained this before. The Evolvers had no means of interstellar travel at that time.

Yes, they were. They intended to leave them on Earth, yes. But they could live in space, so where exactly is the problem with that? The intention behind self-destructing the gate is clearly to leave and never come back. Doesn't matter if they did it because they think they're a disease. They were getting the hell of here and didn't want to be followed. That's going away and making damn sure your enemy ain't gonna follow you. So unless you start showing me proof they intended to grow into space to come back and wipe them out, I'm gonna have to call BS on that.

The moment the evolvers raided the gate, they became the aggressor in this war.
Jun 4, 2013 1:42 PM

Mar 2012
Looks like Continental Union/Galactic Alliance is kinda at the wrong side here imho.. But, I'm wondering though why Hideauze killed Pinion's aniki, cos as we know Gargantia is neutral here,isn't it?
Claude_KennyJun 4, 2013 1:47 PM
Keep moving forward
Jun 4, 2013 1:58 PM

Apr 2008
2easy4AgEnT said:
Looks like Continental Union/Galactic Alliance is kinda at the wrong side here imho.. But, I'm wondering though why Hideauze killed Pinion's aniki, cos as we know Gargantia is neutral here,isn't it?

they are like animals now. Simple as that. Anything not them is a potential enemy and he was in their nest
Jun 4, 2013 1:59 PM

Jul 2007
Ncrdrg said:
linchpin said:

Yes, they were. They intended to leave them on Earth, yes. But they could live in space, so where exactly is the problem with that? The intention behind self-destructing the gate is clearly to leave and never come back. Doesn't matter if they did it because they think they're a disease. They were getting the hell of here and didn't want to be followed. That's going away and making damn sure your enemy ain't gonna follow you. So unless you start showing me proof they intended to grow into space to come back and wipe them out, I'm gonna have to call BS on that.

Let's dumb this down to layman terms then, since you are clearly not getting it.

Imagine its New World colonisation time we had in our history, you have Spain and , France and Great Britain as the countries who want to reach the new world.

Now imagine that one of the three countries somehow found a way to get to new continent TEN YEARS before the other two.

What would the other two FIND when ten years latter they manage to get to American continent?

A well established colony of that one nation that has all those resources at their disposal and a decent infrastructure , both things something the two leftover countries had no way of getting.

Now imagine the said dominant country who just took over a whole continent of precious resources also happened to be incredibly nationalistic counting the other two as inferior species.

What happens next? Spain and France burn and ALL HEIL BRITANNIA.

Its the same situation, except you have outer-space instead of new continent and Continental Union as the fascist country.

Getting a 200 000 year headstart for CU meant they have that much time to expand and harvest ANY resources they might find and to plan their eradication of "impure species". That's like taking Hitler at the end of WWII an sending nazi's to the moon. Hey they are not on earth anymore, right? What can go wrong?
Jun 4, 2013 2:08 PM

Apr 2008
Fai said:
Ncrdrg said:
linchpin said:

Let's dumb this down to layman terms then, since you are clearly not getting it.

Imagine its New World colonisation time we had in our history, you have Spain and , France and Great Britain as the countries who want to reach the new world.

Now imagine that one of the three countries somehow found a way to get to new continent TEN YEARS before the other two.

What would the other two FIND when ten years latter they manage to get to American continent?

A well established colony of that one nation that has all those resources at their disposal and a decent infrastructure , both things something the two leftover countries had no way of getting.

Now imagine the said dominant country who just took over a whole continent of precious resources also happened to be incredibly nationalistic counting the other two as inferior species.

What happens next? Spain and France burn and ALL HEIL BRITANNIA.

Its the same situation, except you have outer-space instead of new continent and Continental Union as the fascist country.

Getting a 200 000 year headstart for CU meant they have that much time to expand and harvest ANY resources they might find and to plan their eradication of "impure species". That's like taking Hitler at the end of WWII an sending nazi's to the moon. Hey they are not on earth anymore, right? What can go wrong?

There's a fuckin infinite universe for the taking and the Hideauze need a lot less to populate it than the CU who would have had to spend a lot of time adapting their tech to whatever new worlds they would find. You can't compare a constrained space like the planet to the entire universe.
Jun 4, 2013 2:19 PM

Jul 2007
Darklight0303 said:

There's a fuckin infinite universe for the taking and the Hideauze need a lot less to populate it than the CU who would have had to spend a lot of time adapting their tech to whatever new worlds they would find. You can't compare a constrained space like the planet to the entire universe.

That would work if CU did not have an infiniboner at eradicating the impure.

Not to mention the fact that any resourceful planet BEYOND solar system is well...FAR. You do know that there's quite big gap of, well, NOTHING in between the solar systems, right?

200 000 Years to reach closest habitable planet. 81 thousand to 19 thousand YEARS to reach closest star.. What would alliance do during that time? Most likely expand and gather enough firepower to just blow up entire sol system.
Jun 4, 2013 2:23 PM
Feb 2011
More like you're not getting it Fai. At all. The facts are very clear so far. The Continental Union attacked first and the Evolvers defended themselves. However, the Union built a gate and they were leaving. They built a self-destructing device to prevent the Evolvers from following them.

They both want to live in space. The Continental Union wants to upgrade its technology to travel through space to find an inhabitable world(s). Now, they manage to build that gate to go elsewhere in space. Naturally, they don't want their enemies to follow them so they plan to destroy it after.

What would have happened? They would have lived in another world or other worlds and lived however the hell they wanted and the Evolvers would have expanded in the current galaxy.

Everything else is complete and total speculation. Would they come back to get rid of the Evolvers? Maybe. Or maybe not. You don't know. I don't know. But they didn't have to fight over resources because they'd live in different places. And we know the motivation for the Evolvers to get through that gate was to spread everywhere throughout the universe.

Now, isn't that hypocritical of them? They believed the way for humanity to survive is through DNA modification, not through technology. The Union is leaving, which means they don't have to pursue them. They do not and if you argue otherwise, you're a complete and utter fool. They made a choice right there. A very clear choice. They could have lived and expanded in the current galaxy (and eventually neighbouring ones, I presume) without piggybacking on the Union's technology (which is very hypocritical of them, as I mentioned).

Maybe those two factions never would have met ever again. Maybe the Union couldn't even come back even if they wanted to. You don't know. It's why you're making shit up when you say they would have come back. You're speculating. And the Evolvers didn't say 'We can't take the risk that you'll expand and come back to destroy us.' No sir, they said 'We Evolvers will be able to spread the domain of the living to unknown galaxies' like a bunch of religious fanatics.

And that is why the Evolvers became the aggressors from that point on. They attacked and pursued an enemy that was getting the hell out.
NcrdrgJun 4, 2013 2:36 PM
Jun 4, 2013 2:34 PM

Aug 2009
What the hell is happening?! Seriously, what is happening with this anime - it suddenly got a lot better.
Jun 4, 2013 3:16 PM

Jan 2011
This was surprisingly good, the two factions must've been fighting for hundreds of thousands of years if not any longer. So stupid how Chamber didn't listen to Ledo, he's supposed to always listen to him, what BS.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jun 4, 2013 3:18 PM
Mar 2011
I downloaded and watched the whole 9 episodes today and the begining reminds a lot of gunbuster, it's nearly the same setting, humans vs. biological space creatures...

Well after first episode the typical stuff came which is let's say watchable, however this is the episode I've been waiting for: reveleation of hideauze origins and the show just got a lot better :)
Jun 4, 2013 3:45 PM
Oct 2012
MasterMeNL said:
So stupid how Chamber didn't listen to Ledo, he's supposed to always listen to him, what BS.

Why do you suppose that Chambers has to listen and do what Ledo said? They never said that this was the case, in fact from the very beginning they implied that Chamber had the ability to think independently.

Remember that in the first episode Ledo asked Chamber what his purpose was and Chamber said it was for Ledo to become the best citizen he could. In short Chamber is more like Ledo's parent than a robot. And sometimes the parent has to do the hard necessary thing that the child refuses to do, in this case Chamber would only be doing for Ledo what he believed Ledo needed to do, not what Ledo wanted to do.

We will get more on this next episode I am sure.

I knew that would prove to be important, it was part of the basis for my "therapy" theory thread. So this was how they meant to play it out.
Jun 4, 2013 4:36 PM

Jun 2012
Pesti13nce said:
Did anyone else's heart sink a little when chamber did what he did at the end, with the humanoid looking one?

Yeah a little, pretty weird that they were humans at one point. I guess they were doing all this to gain the ability to breath in space and they first experimented with breathing under water. Good episode I can't wait for the next one.

5/5
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

Jun 4, 2013 4:40 PM

Mar 2012
What a twist o.O
Jun 4, 2013 4:44 PM

Mar 2012
Was I the ONLY person who SAW THE HIDEAUZE GIVING A WAR SPEECH?!?!?

They are sentient. End of story.
Let's go bowling.
Jun 4, 2013 4:49 PM

Jun 2011
So does this mean they could talk things out now D:
but this does not explain the "mother" squid with all the eggs..? Or at least that's what they looked like to me.
Jun 4, 2013 4:54 PM

Apr 2008
StopDropAndBowl said:

Were. There is no sign of them being anymore.
Jun 4, 2013 4:59 PM

Mar 2012
Ncrdrg said:
More like you're not getting it Fai. At all. The facts are very clear so far. The Continental Union attacked first and the Evolvers defended themselves. However, the Union built a gate and they were leaving. They built a self-destructing device to prevent the Evolvers from following them.

They both want to live in space. The Continental Union wants to upgrade its technology to travel through space to find an inhabitable world(s). Now, they manage to build that gate to go elsewhere in space. Naturally, they don't want their enemies to follow them so they plan to destroy it after.

What would have happened? They would have lived in another world or other worlds and lived however the hell they wanted and the Evolvers would have expanded in the current galaxy.

Let's be logical though. The wormhole is a weapon. Even if the CU had no intention of using it in that way, they still had the option. In a war, one cannot allow the opponent to control a weapon which spells the complete defeat of your side. There is no indication that the aggressive CU was suddenly all for peace. They most likely would have used the gate technology as a weapon.

Everything else is complete and total speculation. Would they come back to get rid of the Evolvers? Maybe. Or maybe not. You don't know. I don't know. But they didn't have to fight over resources because they'd live in different places. And we know the motivation for the Evolvers to get through that gate was to spread everywhere throughout the universe.

Their motivations were the same: the CU wanted to spread throughout the universe, the Evolvers wanted to spread throughout the universe. Speculation sure, but logical speculation. Given a head-start, would the CU then allow the Hideauze to spread throughout the universe on their own strength? Most likely not.

Now, isn't that hypocritical of them? They believed the way for humanity to survive is through DNA modification, not through technology. The Union is leaving, which means they don't have to pursue them. They do not and if you argue otherwise, you're a complete and utter fool.

They are in a war. They can't allow the CU to have the use of a weapon of that caliber and they have no reason to trust in the CU's good will. This is basic military strategy here.

'We Evolvers will be able to spread the domain of the living to unknown galaxies' like a bunch of religious fanatics.

And that is why the Evolvers became the aggressors from that point on. They attacked and pursued an enemy that was getting the hell out.

That was pretty much what the CU was doing: they became the Alliance. The Alliance spouts off that same "We must not allow an inferior race to hold us back!" crap. All indications point to your speculation that the CU was just trying to leave in peace being absolutely wrong.
Let's go bowling.
Jun 4, 2013 5:00 PM

Mar 2012
Darklight0303 said:
StopDropAndBowl said:

There is no sign that they aren't...

How much do you want to bet that they are still sentient?
Let's go bowling.
Jun 4, 2013 5:15 PM

Apr 2008
StopDropAndBowl said:
Darklight0303 said:
StopDropAndBowl said:

Well I am willing to bet that they lost to their own evolution and became a race that is no better than animals. It would be the perfect balance for the two factions. One lost its humanity from a moral standpoint, one lost its humanity completely and became little more than beasts. Also your theory for using the wormhole as weapon is nothing but baseless conjecture. How much you wanna bet there would be no alliance or its doctrine if the Hideauze had not followed them through like the freeloaders they were.

Painting only the CU as the big bads in this seemingly endless war is naive and childish. There are no innocents in this conflict. Not from the moment they went through the gate.
Darklight0303Jun 4, 2013 5:18 PM
Jun 4, 2013 6:28 PM

Mar 2012
Darklight0303 said:
StopDropAndBowl said:
Darklight0303 said:
StopDropAndBowl said:

Well I am willing to bet that they lost to their own evolution and became a race that is no better than animals. It would be the perfect balance for the two factions. One lost its humanity from a moral standpoint, one lost its humanity completely and became little more than beasts. Also your theory for using the wormhole as weapon is nothing but baseless conjecture. How much you wanna bet there would be no alliance or its doctrine if the Hideauze had not followed them through like the freeloaders they were.

Painting only the CU as the big bads in this seemingly endless war is naive and childish. There are no innocents in this conflict. Not from the moment they went through the gate.

I would be surprised if that were so. The whole point of Ledo's transformation and growth has been leading up to the point where he now feels a respect for human life. There would be no point to showing this development if the Hideauze aren't sentient in some form or another. Ledo's reaction to killing the child-Evolver was that way precisely because he saw it as a human child. The writers would be shooting themselves in the foot if they neglected that development and went for a weird: the Hideauze are just animals twist. That would contradict the whole reason for developing Ledo's character, or rather, the whole point for even mentioning the Hideauze after the first episode.

As for the wormhole: it is a weapon. Whether it is used as such or not is irrelevant to the fact that it is a weapon. I can use a gun to hunt animals, and have no intention of hunting people, but that doesn't change the gun into something it isn't. It remains a weapon with the potential to kill. Further, it is not baseless to assume that the aggressive CU would refrain from using the wormhole as a weapon. They have shown instances of aggression, they continue to show instances of aggression to this day. Your assertion that they are only how they are because the Evolvers followed them is what is baseless. We have no indication whatsoever that the CU ever wanted peace.

There are some innocents: the child-Evolver, the Gargantians, etc. Among the two warring space factions, I would say that neither is entirely innocent of fault, however, it is clear that the CU-GA were the initial aggressors, and given their current philosophies and the fact that they lie to their own people, we can be reasonably sure that they are the current aggressors too. This is supported by the fact that they were the ones attacking the Hideauze in the first episode, not the other way around. Any way you look at it, the CU was more in the wrong, and the GA seems to be continuing that policy.
Let's go bowling.
Jun 4, 2013 7:15 PM
Feb 2011
@StopDropAndBowl - How is a worm hole a weapon? I really don't get that one. It's just a means to travel to other galaxies. Would you consider a bridge a weapon too? Because logistically, I don't see any difference between the two of them.

Also, the war speech they gave was obviously when some of them were still human. This doesn't seem to be the case anymore. It's hinted that they mature from human-looking fetuses to a humanoid-shaped squid to a full-on whalesquid. What we've seen so far hints that they've gradually lost their humanity and become more like animals. I like comparing their current structure to bees. It's possible they're still sentient, or some of them are (early prototypes, I don't know), but the way they've acted so far show little attempt at communication except when they're in humanoid-shape. And as we far that Matsumuto man, he matured from a humanoid squid to a whalesquid. And since they act like a hive with a queen, individual thought... seems to have disappeared.

They've both lost humanity in their own ways IMHO. Which is quite the message.
NcrdrgJun 4, 2013 7:24 PM
Jun 4, 2013 7:27 PM

Mar 2012
Ncrdrg said:
@StopDropAndBowl - How is a worm hole a weapon? I really don't get that one. It's just a means to travel to other galaxies. Would you consider a bridge a weapon too? Because logistically, I don't see any difference between the two of them.

Bridges are weapons. A weapon doesn't have to be a thing that kills you. It can be anything with the purpose of defeating the enemy. In history we see countless times of bridges being used for military purposes. Often times, things like supply lines and bridges are more effective weapons than swords and guns. A wormhole is a weapon because it allows one side to advance beyond the normal scope of the war. As other users have already pointed out, give the CU the time to use their wormhole to gain a complete foothold on the other hospitable planets and they could then use this to effectively isolate the Evolvers within the Solar System. It gives them an advantage in the war, just as a bridge can give an advantage to one side. The Army has an Engineers Corps. for a reason. Without a bridge, you can't move tanks and/or troops across rivers or chasms effectively. If I was chasing your army of tanks with mine, and you planned on building a bridge and then destroying it, my obvious objective would be to prevent you from destroying the bridge.

The wormhole would be a weapon of almost unimaginable strength. Imagine the ability to cut in and out whenever and wherever you want. I can ambush your army at any point, and then jump away out of reach as soon as you try to respond. Once your flank is turned I can jump in behind you again and restart the ambush. I can build "bridges" to other worlds, gaining more resources to put into use. I can prevent you from using a wormhole yourself once you build one by jumping in, destroying it, and jumping out. Or by ambushing half your force as it comes through, and then jumping to the entrance to ambush the other side. I can send communications over vast spaces in an instant. I can move supplies to far reaches in an instant.

In a space war, allowing one side exclusive use of a wormhole would be akin to allowing one side the exclusive use of the seas in our wars here on Earth. It would be suicidal to give the enemy such an advantage.
Let's go bowling.
Jun 4, 2013 7:58 PM
Jul 2012
Too much info dumping into one episode. The plot twist was nice, but nothing groundbreaking. They really didn't have to waste the previous 8 episodes of absolutely nothing for this to happen -.-
Jun 4, 2013 8:07 PM
Jul 2012
StopDropAndBowl said:

"The symbiont is a wonderful invention. (snip)
Symbiotic nanomachines provide their nutrition." - Ryan Matsumoto, first Evolver

The whalesquids behavior points to little, if any, intelligence remains - there's no sign of any activity besides feeding, breeding, and attacking intruders. They didn't even throw own Pinion's brother's mech. I would guess that, given they only have vestigial faces, and their eyes are in the position of squids, that the Evolvers lost control of the symbiont. As for the Hideauze, their nest on the hot side of a Jupiter type planet - that they seem to have given up on the "conquer the infinity of space and achieve eternal prosperity", yet are still able to beat back the GA, I think supports this.

I doubt many people trusted the GA's info as much other than propaganda, yet for Ledo, learning that shatters his entire worldview - Neither the Hideauze or whalequids being sentient/intelligent *now* is required for that.

"Last week, the highly criticized Evolvers were under fire again due to a leak of their internal recruitment materials, which demonstrated that they had carried out atrocious human experiments in violation of international law." - News Anchor
Earlier, the Evolver spokesman said "To overcome the crisis we are facing, it is necessary to be more flexible"

This sounds like trying to justify the Tuskegee experiments using "flexible" as a euphemism

"We have discovered that the Continental Union is developing a large-scale wormhole drive.
The platforms are all equipped with self-destruct devices.
It is clear that they intend to destroy the drive
upon their escape of the Solar System, thus stranding us on Earth!
This is our chance!
By attacking and taking control of the wormhole drive,
we Evolvers can extend our habitat to unknown galaxies!
We shall conquer the infinity of space and achieve eternal prosperity!" - Lead Evolver, aboard space station

The CU wanted to escape from a species that were pretty much (amoral) religious fanatics that could survive in space. Given how absurdly big space is, the only reason to follow them would be genocide. It's not like the CU was running to the *only* habitable place, or some place that would give them an edge over the Evolvers. I'm not a fan of the CU/GA or Evolvers/Hideauze, but the latter side is not some blameless, oppressed minority by any means.
CallMeIshmaelJun 4, 2013 8:24 PM
Jun 4, 2013 8:31 PM
Oct 2010
Baconzombie said:
Too much info dumping into one episode. The plot twist was nice, but nothing groundbreaking. They really didn't have to waste the previous 8 episodes of absolutely nothing for this to happen -.-

I don't think you realize what they were going for if you think they wasted the previous 8.
Jun 4, 2013 8:34 PM
Feb 2011
@StopDropAndBowl - I can see that. But let me play devil's advocate for a bit. It is my understanding they were intending to leave. That's all we know about that technology. Could they even control precisely where they were going? Isn't is possible that's exactly why they lost the coordinates to Earth? Because they ended up somewhere in the universe and didn't know where Earth was anymore?

I suppose that eventually they mapped the universe somewhat but that's not to say they controlled exactly where they were going with that technology. Of course, this is only hypothetical because the episode clearly showed us that isn't why they raided the gate.
Jun 4, 2013 8:39 PM
Oct 2010
@Ncrdrg, I highly doubt they "lost" the coordinates to Earth, the alliance is probably hiding the information much like they hide the true nature of the Hideauze. I'm fairly certain that some people would sympathize with Hideauze if they knew the true events of what happened, and as far as the CU is concerned their opinion on the matter is the right one so they brainwash all citizens into thinking the same. It also avoids the unrest that was seen on Earth.

The reason they are hiding earth's coordinates is probably so that no one would find out what really happened, should they investigate.
GD1551Jun 5, 2013 1:09 AM
Jun 4, 2013 8:58 PM

Jan 2013
I don't understand why they're hiding the history(when you can just distort and make propaganda) and giving up water resource on earth.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 4, 2013 9:06 PM
Jan 2013
DawnJ said:
I don't understand why they're hiding the history(when you can just distort and make propaganda) and giving up water resource on earth.
Hiding history is same as distorting.
Jun 4, 2013 9:10 PM

Jan 2013
Kitchiri said:
DawnJ said:
Hiding history is same as distorting.

Exploiting earth is better when you are in dire need of food and water. In that sense, distorting the truth>hiding the truth.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 4, 2013 9:13 PM
Jul 2012
DawnJ said:

For all Internet Tough Guys, gun rights advocates, and thug-life gangstas talk, it's actually surprising difficult to get ("normal") humans to kill other humans (someone who's actually been in the military would know more). The Hideauze are conveniently already "demonized". Also, even if the top brass knew Earth was now unfrozen, they might be more focused on their "EXTERMINATE HIDEAUZE!!! EXTERMINATE! HIDEAUZE!!!".
CallMeIshmaelJun 4, 2013 9:19 PM
Jun 4, 2013 9:19 PM

Jan 2013
CallMeIshmael said:
DawnJ said:

For all Internet Tough Guys, gun rights advocates, and thug-life gangstas talk, it's actually surprising difficult to get ("normal") humans to kill other humans (someone who's actually been in the military would know more). The Hideauze are conveniently already "demonized". Also, even if the top brass knew Earth was now unfrozen, they might want be more focused on their "EXTERMINATE HIDEAUZE!!! EXTERMINATE! HIDEAUZE!!!".

You mean, 'normal' humans that already know they are producing grey-hair clones to fight the war?

And this is really far from the current situation after glorious mr. bush fucked all up. I doubt there are any press(other than government) or public opinion in CU.

ps. and I don't know why you are pulling out 'military' thing, I once worked with(not served in) the US army. So what.
DawnJJun 4, 2013 9:26 PM
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 4, 2013 9:30 PM
Jul 2012
I meant the first link after googling 'how hard is it to get soldiers to shoot at other people' without quotes. Ledo screaming "NOOOO" as Chamber kills the squid girl supports that this is still applicable. It's not like Bush has secretly mastered overriding psychology, and apparently neither has the GA.
Jun 4, 2013 9:32 PM
Oct 2012
DawnJ said:

Dissent is the luxury of surplus, the closer you are to starvation (and extinction), the narrower the choices become. The zeal of patriotism of 50 or 2000 years ago seems strange to us today for this very reason. We cannot conceive of sacrificing our morality to the collective, but this is a relatively recent development borne of our never having to have to worry where our next meal will come from.

The Alliance seems to be in such a situation. Remember the first episode, they sacrificed all their resources in order to construct Avalon, where only 10 million humans can reside. This is not an expanding, prosperous society. From 6 billion humanity has been reduced to the scale of millions. That would affect how people think.
Jun 4, 2013 9:36 PM

Jan 2013
CallMeIshmael said:
I meant the first link after googling 'how hard is it to get soldiers to shoot at other people' without quotes. Ledo screaming "NOOOO" as Chamber kills the squid girl supports that this is still applicable. It's not like Bush has secretly mastered overriding psychology, and apparently neither has the GA.

Okay. Somewhat reminds me of The Metamorphosis by Kafka.

I don't think people are going to have some sympathy or remorse about the fact squids they killed were humans. But oh well, Ledo did.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 5, 2013 12:38 AM
Nov 2007
DawnJ said:
CallMeIshmael said:

I don't think people are going to have some sympathy or remorse about the fact squids they killed were humans. But oh well, Ledo did.

Well would you eat a cow with a human face? It is the same concept.
Jun 5, 2013 12:45 AM

Jan 2013
gensou911 said:
DawnJ said:
CallMeIshmael said:

I don't even know where you are pulling 'human face cow' out from. How can eating can be the same as killing? Do CU guys eat Hideauz?

Also, I can kill snails but I won't eat them. I can eat cows but I won't kill them. so wut.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 5, 2013 2:04 AM

Jan 2010
How do you eat cow if you don't kill them first?
Do you eat cow alive? Love raw meat?
Ehhhhh....?

Jun 5, 2013 2:17 AM

Jan 2013
AoiMizu said:
How do you eat cow if you don't kill them first?
Do you eat cow alive? Love raw meat?
Ehhhhh....?

Butchers do. I don't.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 5, 2013 2:56 AM

Oct 2012
StopDropAndBowl said:
katsucats said:
More immediately, and on a higher order, what is the relevance of sentience, exactly? The definition of sentience notwithstanding, does it somehow fit into your world view that annihilation of a non-sentient species is justifiable, but annihilation of a sentient species become racist? So where is this cut off point in intelligence between where you can just kill a being without batting an eyelash, and where killing one makes you a murderer?
It is generally considered that personhood is defined by sentience, or at least, the level of sentience that we humans possess. Hence, the annihilation of sentient creatures would be widely considered to be murder. Slaughtering animals for no other reason than I don't like animals would also widely be considered to be unjustified, but not murder. If I went around killing every dog I saw because one dog mauled and killed my brother, I would be arrested and charged, possibly imprisoned; but not charged with murder. This is because we accept that dogs are more sentient than house-flies, but less so than humans. This is also entirely neglecting the notion of a soul. Even on a scientific level, we can make a distinction between human sentience and animal sentience.
Did you miss the part in the story where the Hideauze have been waging war with the humans for presumably hundreds of years? I ask again: What is the relevance of sentience to the situation? Racism is an attitude that fundamentally subordinates any entity within the human species based on race, but even if we were to expand this to include all sentient being, the act of killing under the pretext of war is not itself an act of racism. You continue to shift goalposts with your analogy to dogs, which are not at all a threat to humankind, and then to souls or the supposed difference between human and animal sentience. Yet, we know from the series that there is an organized effort on account of both sides to get rid of each other, whether the Hideauze are sentient or not. What is the relevance?

This notion of accepting that a dog is more sentient than a housefly is completely false. We know for a fact that pigs or some bird species, like the magpie or crow, are more intelligent than dogs, yet we kill pigs for food and hunt birds for sport but keep dogs. Do you know why? Because they look cute and mosquitoes look ugly as fuck. If it is morally unjustifiable to you to ever kill, or to preemptively remove threat, treating each animal as its individual, then if a lion eats one of your friends alive, you would give its brother the benefit of the doubt; if you killed a cockroach that has positive sentience (compared to a rock), it would be slightly unjustifiable to you -- less unjustifiable than the dog, but more than the seaweed?

StopDropAndBowl said:
katsucats said:
I charge that your moral prescriptions aren't very consistent, and that you really just have no clue what racism even is. It makes no difference whether Hideauze are evolved human beings or evolved mosquitoes. As long as we accept the narrative that they are a threat to the human race, then that is all the justification a human being needs to eliminate them.
They are not a threat to the human race, and further this entire paragraph is a non-sequitor. You start off by making the statement that I have no clue what racism is and that my beliefs are inconsistent, then move on to a conclusion that whether they are sentient or not is irrelevant. The conclusion does not follow the premise.
That sentience is irrelevant is the argument, your moral inconsistency is the conclusion.

StopDropAndBowl said:
And neither has justification. North Koreans present a threat to South Koreans, but if South Korea/America suddenly nuked every square inch of North Korea, this would be widely condemned. Further, if you actually watch the show, the Hideauze show no signs of being a threat to the human race beyond being able to win a war of annihilation against them if provoked. They live in relative peace with the people of Earth.
But in space, we know that they are mortal enemies of humankind. The DNA being the same, the premise is that it is eventuality. To say that only the lion that bites is a threat, and all other lions are innocent until proven guilty is the pinnacle of naivete and childish idealism.

StopDropAndBowl said:
katsucats said:
By the way: OMG Killer squid is actually a human child!!1111 Cheap manipulation. It's like expecting us to get shocked at the sight of a starving African child. It seems like this is working for a lot of you... but hey, different strokes for different folks...
Uh... most people are shocked at the sight of a starving child....
No, I bet most people are not so easily manipulated by cheap, propagandist infomercials. Using the "little girl" symbolism evokes a disgusted laugh out of anyone with even a yellow belt in drama and storytelling. Such cliches are so obvious that it's borderline offensive.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 5, 2013 3:27 AM

Oct 2012
Fai said:
You see why your argument is incredibly disgusting? Replace Hideauze with transgender people, or homosexual people, or people of different religion/race and the same "arguments" you work work onto furthering homophobic white supremacist propaganda.
If transgender people are in concert with each other bent on being a danger to mankind, then there would be valid reason to kill all transgender people. Unfortunately for your straw man, transgendered people are not, and there are no good reasons to kill transgendered people. But there is a good reason to kill Hideauze.

Disgust is an emotion triggered by closed-mindedness, but if anyone should be disgusted at anything, it would be this childlike pacifist hypocrisy perpetrated by shounen anime, and believed by many, that one should never anticipate, and it is a vice to plan, but a virtue to be passive until directly threatened, in which one should then respond to the threat without killing anyone... because murder is bad... passivity is good... In Psycho-Pass, Gen Urobuchi had the audacity to give Akane the final sentiment that human kind will best the Sybil system, so she will keep supporting the Sybil and keep her hopes for human kind -- it is this faux-hopeful passivity that places unrealistic idealism ahead of real solutions that should be disgusting if anything. I digress...

In the real world, things aren't so conveniently ordered into dichotomies of aggressor and victim. There are no normative prescriptions for every broad action such as killing. If it means you have to kill to provide your tribe its livelihood, then it becomes necessary to justify killing; otherwise it becomes necessary to justify being killed. There isn't always a convenient Touma that can negate everyone's abilities or Naruto that turns everyone into friends. In the real world, you can't solve every conflict through negotiation or co-existence.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 5, 2013 4:35 AM

Jul 2007
katsucats said:
Fai said:
You see why your argument is incredibly disgusting? Replace Hideauze with transgender people, or homosexual people, or people of different religion/race and the same "arguments" you work work onto furthering homophobic white supremacist propaganda.
If transgender people are in concert with each other bent on being a danger to mankind, then there would be valid reason to kill all transgender people. Unfortunately for your straw man, transgendered people are not, and there are no good reasons to kill transgendered people. But there is a good reason to kill Hideauze.

Disgust is an emotion triggered by closed-mindedness, but if anyone should be disgusted at anything, it would be this childlike pacifist hypocrisy perpetrated by shounen anime, and believed by many, that one should never anticipate, and it is a vice to plan, but a virtue to be passive until directly threatened, in which one should then respond to the threat without killing anyone... because murder is bad... passivity is good... In Psycho-Pass, Gen Urobuchi had the audacity to give Akane the final sentiment that human kind will best the Sybil system, so she will keep supporting the Sybil and keep her hopes for human kind -- it is this faux-hopeful passivity that places unrealistic idealism ahead of real solutions that should be disgusting if anything. I digress...

In the real world, things aren't so conveniently ordered into dichotomies of aggressor and victim. There are no normative prescriptions for every broad action such as killing. If it means you have to kill to provide your tribe its livelihood, then it becomes necessary to justify killing; otherwise it becomes necessary to justify being killed. There isn't always a convenient Touma that can negate everyone's abilities or Naruto that turns everyone into friends. In the real world, you can't solve every conflict through negotiation or co-existence.

The first paragraph just proves my point - you do realize that homophobes ARE using that exact argument of "those people" taking over the world, blah dee blah, right? That's no different on how CU justified Hideauze genocide.

Otherwise, I find the hypocrisy in this post hilarious.
Jun 5, 2013 4:41 AM

Feb 2011
gensou911 said:
DawnJ said:
CallMeIshmael said:

you don't eat the face, you eat the meat
if you did have cow faces as meal i guess it being an human face or cow face would make little difference...

the real difference is if there is the doubt of there being an other way other than war, as in communicating and finding agreements
if it's perceived there is no such way, then the only way left is war

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Jun 5, 2013 5:17 AM

Sep 2008
That Chamber is a bad news, and here I thought he were funny.
We can see that he killed the babies out of his own volition.
Ledo didn't command him to do so.
Also, he clearly went against his pilot's command during the last scene.
It seems that he is programmed to act for GA"s cause on top of everything.
What would happen if Ledo betrays GA?
Will Chamber perform senmetsu on everybody?
No no no.That would be awful. Trash him while you can, Ledo.
Then you can go back to Amy, make babies, and live happily ever after.
Hahaha.
Jun 5, 2013 5:25 AM

Apr 2008
Eternia said:
That Chamber is a bad news, and here I thought he were funny.
We can see that he killed the babies out of his own volition.
Ledo didn't command him to do so.
Also, he clearly went against his pilot's command during the last scene.
It seems that he is programmed to act for GA"s cause on top of everything.
What would happen if Ledo betrays GA?
Will Chamber perform senmetsu on everybody?
No no no.That would be awful. Trash him while you can, Ledo.
Then you can go back to Amy, make babies, and live happily ever after.
Hahaha.

Trash him how? None of Pinion's tools could even put a dent on him. Face it. Chamber is the final boss and he will rule all.
Jun 5, 2013 6:18 AM
Jun 2008
Wow, that is a plot twist .
The Hideauze and human in Earth seems to be a good example of co-existence or at least both species mind their own business for quite a long period, but the Video display seem to show different thing.
So, are there 2 type of Hideauze or maybe the Hideauze on earth are just slacking on killing people lol.

I wonder what is the true story behind all this.
MorningGloryJun 5, 2013 6:21 AM
Jun 5, 2013 7:36 AM

Feb 2012
Fai said:

The first paragraph just proves my point - you do realize that homophobes ARE using that exact argument of "those people" taking over the world, blah dee blah, right? That's no different on how CU justified Hideauze genocide.

Otherwise, I find the hypocrisy in this post hilarious.

Uh, except homosexuals aren't actually trying to take over the world. You realize most homophobes are even less rational than hyper-religious people, right (although they often coincide)?

katsucats said:
Fai said:

I'm tagging out, going to my holiday resort. Might pop by here when I'm at my computer there, though. Keep on trucking mate.
Kellhus said:

GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Pages (14) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

502 by Titadou »»
Yesterday, 8:43 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

346 by Titadou »»
Sep 21, 11:24 PM

» Gargantia Season 2 Cancelled

DawnJ - Apr 5, 2015

37 by Drakath_V »»
Sep 16, 2:47 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2013

424 by Titadou »»
Sep 15, 4:43 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 21, 2013

579 by Titadou »»
Sep 6, 11:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.