Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »
Sep 2, 2012 10:39 AM

Aug 2012
kamikaze_1996 said:

WARNING: 400th Post.

The stupidity in this thread has exceeded rated tolerances.

A countdown will commence until the 500th post, at which point Reactor [kamikaze_1996]'s head will either explode or suffer meltdown.

Core Breach [and a defunct thread] is imminent.

Subjects inhabiting the thread are ordered to evacuate the premises effective immediately or risk contracting [Hello-Kitty Syndrome] due to exposure to illogical and weird argumentation.

This warning will not be repeated...
JerrychiangSep 2, 2012 10:43 AM
Sep 2, 2012 10:41 AM

Apr 2012
Jerrychiang said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

A countdown will commence until the 500th post, at which point Reactor [kamikaze_1996]'s head will either explode or suffer meltdown.

Subjects inhabiting the thread are ordered to evacuate the premises effective immediately or risk contracting [Hello-Kitty Syndrome] due to exposure to illogical and weird argumentation.

Can I copy this and use it in future threads?

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Sep 2, 2012 10:44 AM
Oct 2010
kamikaze_1996 said:
Immahnoob said:
Ajunky said:
@noob - I think you are confusing man of action with action hero. The first is someone proactive, but not necessarily a blind berserker. Briefly considering a course of action doesn't make someone a passive person. The second is like what you said, someone who bull charges at everything, Rambo style (and pulls it off, since it's a hero after all.)

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/man+of+action

There goes everything you said.
I'll requote it here since it's rather short
man of action - A person who prefers to act rather than contemplate and gets things accomplished quickly an efficiently.
It doesn't contradict what I said, unless you go to the absurd extreme of acting without a single thought. Like I said, briefly considering a plan of action doesn't disqualify you. Consider this just a little, you can't be efficient if you don't think at all.

Look, a man of action is a concept of being proactive. A real person can be a man of action. The action hero is the ideal fictional counterpart.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Sep 2, 2012 10:47 AM

Aug 2012
Immahnoob said:
Jerrychiang said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

This warning will not be repeated in the present contingency in order to avoid confusion, but such protocols do not extend beyond the current crisis in other [stable] threads.

[Be my guest ^_-]
Sep 2, 2012 10:48 AM

Apr 2012
Ajunky said:
kamikaze_1996 said:
Immahnoob said:
Ajunky said:
@noob - I think you are confusing man of action with action hero. The first is someone proactive, but not necessarily a blind berserker. Briefly considering a course of action doesn't make someone a passive person. The second is like what you said, someone who bull charges at everything, Rambo style (and pulls it off, since it's a hero after all.)

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/man+of+action

There goes everything you said.
I'll requote it here since it's rather short
man of action - A person who prefers to act rather than contemplate and gets things accomplished quickly an efficiently.
It doesn't contradict what I said, unless you go to the absurd extreme of acting without a single thought. Like I said, briefly considering a plan of action doesn't disqualify you. Consider this just a little, you can't be efficient if you don't think at all.

Look, a man of action is a concept of being proactive. A real person can be a man of action. The action hero is the ideal fictional counterpart.

He needed a catalyst (Asuna) and until she got in danger he didn't move a finger and stayed there and contemplated.

He's not a man of action, and that definition fits both reality and fiction.
Jerrychiang said:
Immahnoob said:
Jerrychiang said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

This warning will not be repeated in the present contingency in order to avoid confusion, but such protocols do not extend beyond the current crisis in other [stable] threads.

[Be my guest ^_-]

Thank you.

Autocrat said:
Sep 2, 2012 10:51 AM
Oct 2010
Ah... well, I wasn't talking about Kirito, but the actual concept.
Friedrich Schiller
Sep 2, 2012 11:01 AM

Apr 2012
Ajunky said:
Ah... well, I wasn't talking about Kirito, but the actual concept.

Well then, there was no point in discussing it, because I was talking about Kirito, sorry for that.

And "action hero" only means "The archetypal action hero is the protagonist of an action movie or other entertainment which portrays action and adventure. Other media in which such heroes appear include swashbuckler films, Westerns on television, old-time radio, adventure novels, dime novels, pulp magazines, and folklore."

There is no definition for action hero except this.

Autocrat said:
Sep 2, 2012 11:08 AM
Oct 2010
I didn't look for a reference for the definition, but it is an archetype. Just pick any classic American action movie and you'll have the idea. They are all quite rash.
Friedrich Schiller
Sep 2, 2012 11:12 AM
Nov 2009
Good episode. But I wonder if San-to-ryu is possible in SOA
Sep 2, 2012 11:15 AM

Apr 2012
Ajunky said:
I didn't look for a reference for the definition, but it is an archetype. Just pick any classic American action movie and you'll have the idea. They are all quite rash.

Yeah, you were talking about tropes.

Well, Man of action is the Blood Knight for fiction. Then there comes the reality definition. A person that puts little thinking and relies on action more than anything.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BloodKnight

Autocrat said:
Sep 2, 2012 11:16 AM

Sep 2011
Terrible episode as usual.Seeing Klein again was kinda nice though.
Sep 2, 2012 11:18 AM

Apr 2012
skapandi said:

You and 14 people...

Autocrat said:
Sep 2, 2012 11:21 AM

Aug 2012
wtf happened? it was so peaceful a few hours ago and suddenly there's a shitstorm with Kamikaze being in the centre of it (AGAIN) its getting to the point where i can't count it with my fingers, but im not really surprised at all this anymore, it's kamikaze being a kamikaze and noob being a noob with the rest of us going "wtf not again"

kamikaze_1996 said:

i see what you did there...xDD

Jerrychiang said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

i also see what you did there, LMAO is this reference to what happened on 7 where he got it over 500? xD

well at least he isn't tearing apart noob like he did with the others, thats shitstorm was ott, even Luna had to step in to stop that mess <_<
Sep 2, 2012 11:24 AM

Sep 2011
Immahnoob said:
skapandi said:

You and 14 people...

Oh, I forgot to vote.There we go.
Sep 2, 2012 11:24 AM

Apr 2012
Did he call you or something, Asada?

Autocrat said:
Sep 2, 2012 11:31 AM
Oct 2010
Immahnoob said:
Well, Man of action is the Blood Knight for fiction. Then there comes the reality definition. A person that puts little thinking and relies on action more than anything.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BloodKnight
That's a bit too bloodthirsty... but I guess a Blood Knight could be called a man of action...

Anyway, reinforcing what you said about Kirito. I wouldn't say he's all that proactive, at least up to now. He was clearly lonely at the beginning but didn't have the courage to reach out to others when he was almost forced into a guild, all he did was what he knew best, just play the game by himself. His actions were more inertia than initiative.

It's also clear that he has been changing little by little, as shown with the story progress. He gets more involved than before, but it's still other people who seek him and initiate contact.

Maybe in the future he'll shape up to be a proper man of action (hopefully not of the bloodthirsty type) or even a great leader, but he's not there yet.
Friedrich Schiller
Sep 2, 2012 11:34 AM

Apr 2012
Well, I do hope he gets in a state of tranquil fury or even better, endless rage. I mean, it's ok for him to become a man of action, but let's not call him a man of action now, when he isn't.

That is all I want.

I mean, who wouldn't like to see a red eyed MC with a big grin on his face and going all "DIE" laughing maniacally.

Autocrat said:
Sep 2, 2012 11:45 AM

Jul 2011
AsadaShino said:
wtf happened? it was so peaceful a few hours ago and suddenly there's a shitstorm with Kamikaze being in the centre of it (AGAIN) its getting to the point where i can't count it with my fingers, but im not really surprised at all this anymore, it's kamikaze being a kamikaze and noob being a noob with the rest of us going "wtf not again"

kamikaze_1996 said:

Jerrychiang said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

i also see what you did there, LMAO is this reference to what happened on 7 where he got it over 500? xD

well at least he isn't tearing apart noob like he did with the others, thats shitstorm was ott, even Luna had to step in to stop that mess <_<

Jerrychiang said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

oh come on! are you guys still holding it against me for blowing up 7!?

its not like im doing it here, i honestly don't want Luna descending down here like some angel of death, i was being sensible now by stopping my replies to noob and i've already made my point anyway so i have no reason to continue this

now if you'll excuse im off to watch Oda Nobuna no Yabou
Sep 2, 2012 11:46 AM

Apr 2012
kamikaze_1996 said:
AsadaShino said:

kamikaze_1996 said:

Jerrychiang said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

Jerrychiang said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

its not like im doing it here, i honestly don't want Luna descending down here like some angel of death, i was being sensible now by stopping my replies to noob and i've already made my point anyway so i have no reason to continue this

But your point got denied... Are you seriously going to let that slide...?

You're not worthy.

Autocrat said:
Sep 2, 2012 11:49 AM

May 2009
Had to repeat the boss fight many times. XD

Glad to see the main series is as strong as ever.
Sep 2, 2012 12:05 PM

Aug 2012
Immahnoob said:
Did he call you or something, Asada?

DERP DERP

hell no

kamikaze_1996 said:
AsadaShino said:

kamikaze_1996 said:

Jerrychiang said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

Jerrychiang said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

i don't know about anyone else but im not holding it against you.

its just that arguments always ruin these threads and your usually in the centre of it all
Immahnoob said:

But your point got denied... Are you seriously going to let that slide...?

You're not worthy.

oh god please don't provoke him, i honestly don't want another shitstorm like the last one....

i think kamikaze is actually being commendable (for once in his life) for dropping this before it escalates further instead of adding fuel to the flame like you <_<
Sep 2, 2012 12:10 PM

Apr 2012
Come on Kamikaze, prove me you're worthy, let's make the fire sparkle.

I'd like this fire to sparkle blue.

Asada is here, why not entertain me?

Or maybe you are a child after all :(.

Autocrat said:
Sep 2, 2012 12:18 PM

Mar 2012
Don't know about you, noob, but if I were wrong like Kamikaze was, I'd propably shut up, accept, and end the flame ê.e
Sep 2, 2012 12:20 PM

Apr 2012
KaiKatsuya said:
Don't know about you, noob, but if I were wrong like Kamikaze was, I'd propably shut up, accept, and end the flame ê.e

Actually, he's the reportable material... We're talking about this episode. He's the one flaming, but I don't report people, I'm fine with fights.

I mean, I'd like to see how he makes a shit storm out of this.

I want to be entertained as there's no gun thread at the moment.

Autocrat said:
Sep 2, 2012 12:21 PM

Nov 2009
*sigh, every time I come here to write something, there have already a mess ...

Sep 2, 2012 12:23 PM

Apr 2012
Vforvendetta said:
*sigh, every time I come here to write something, there have already a mess ...

No jimm... I mean, popcorn yet.

There is nothing going on.

Autocrat said:
Sep 2, 2012 12:26 PM

Nov 2009
Oops, did I miss something :( ? I thought u guys was just started ... oh well nvm, I forgot what I was about to say anyway ...
Edit: just changed the gif pic to suit the situation
Sep 2, 2012 12:28 PM

Apr 2012
Vforvendetta said:
Oops, did I miss something :( ? I thought u guys was just started ... oh well nvm, I forgot what I was about to say anyway ...

Check Pages 19-22.

You'll see what happened.

Autocrat said:
Sep 2, 2012 12:33 PM
Apr 2011
kamikaze_1996 said:
makoa69 said:
I don't really understand how 'skills' work here. They're breathing, eating, sleeping, walking around, etc in that world right? Why would you need a toggle choice in your menu to be physically capable of putting a second sword in your other hand? That makes no sense to me whatsoever.

thats not the point, you can put a second sword on your hand but you won't be able to activate dual wielded sword skills, if your current attack pattern is set to 1 handed sword skills, it will imbalance the system and your sword skills will be disrupted, you would need to have dual blades as one of your options to use it

Are you implying that all the moves they do, like jump dodging, blocking with the sword, etc are all skills they acquired in their toggle menu? I just assumed that when Kirito fights he's just swinging a sword around based on his own sword fighting abilities learned while existing in the the virtual world. If a person who already was a master swordsman in real life entered the game, he/she would be overpowered. If your fighting abilities are restricted to only what you've attained in your toggle menu, that saps away a ton of the freedom one could have in the SAO world. Isn't the 'realness', and 'freedom' the only reasons to play a VR MMO?
The same thing goes for equipping stuff. Say your friend has passed out and you're protecting him when your sword gets broken. If I had full freedom and realness granted to me, I should either be able to fight barehanded with my own knowledge of boxing/karate/muay thai, whatever, or I could dash toward my friend and grab his weapon and fight with that. If skills and equipping are restricted in SAO, then I can do neither of those choices.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Sep 2, 2012 12:39 PM

Nov 2009
Immahnoob said:
Vforvendetta said:

Check Pages 19-22.

Oh dear, If it was kamikaze-and-his-best-friend-related-matters, I wouldn't be bothered reading it, such a waste of time ... ah I'm gonna back to diablo 3, dual wielding monk, damn kirito dual style inspired me ...
Sep 2, 2012 12:42 PM

Apr 2012
Vforvendetta said:
Immahnoob said:
Vforvendetta said:

Check Pages 19-22.

Oh dear, If it was kamikaze-and-his-best-friend-related-matters, I wouldn't be bothered reading it, such a waste of time ... ah I'm gonna back to diablo 3, dual wielding monk, damn kirito dual style inspired me ...

Only Kamikaze... Virtual girlfriend came on later.

Autocrat said:
Sep 2, 2012 12:44 PM
Dec 2011
Surely this was the best episode anime of 2012
Best Part: *o*
Sep 2, 2012 1:11 PM

Mar 2012
So after hesitated, he instantly decided to help just because Asuna suddenly went inside first. Looks like he just wanna give a hand to girls only lol..
Claude_KennySep 2, 2012 1:23 PM
Keep moving forward
Sep 2, 2012 1:16 PM

Jul 2011
finished episode 9 of ONnY
hey vendetta! how you doing man? i was wondering when you'd show up xD

and no, you don't need to worry about another shitstorm happening, i already said ill stop starting them like 10x already <_<

im someone who can sheathe his sword after killing someone.... meaning ive already made my point and yet noob decides to carry on with his invalid/irrelevant argument and completely ignore my point so ill let him do just that otherwise it will turn into a shouting argument of opinion which he wants

and like i said before, i don't want Luna descending down on me like an angel of death

you can carry on backchatting/hating me now and don't worry i won't report you, im too busy with other things....
Sep 2, 2012 1:28 PM

Dec 2009
Nothing special here, just the typical average SAO episode.

This episode only served to remind you that how poorly it has established the world and characters, make it all very shallow. The fact that Asuna has been ruined, going from a strong character to our damsel in distress who clings to our Protag, doesn't help either.

I can't help but wonder what happened with the show.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Sep 2, 2012 2:02 PM

Jul 2012
I enjoyed that episode. Dual blade was fun to watch. Too bad Asuna and Klein were too weak to help out Kirito.

There's not much relationship development within Asuna and Kirito yet they share a touching moment when she hugs him for a long time. Seemed a bit odd for me.

Does everyone suck at fighting minus Kirito? :/

Next episode hmm...Probs gonna see Kirito own that guild leader and steal princess away LOL
Sep 2, 2012 2:09 PM

Aug 2008
After episode 8 I decided to the read the novels and finish volumn 1.

I can say that this series is staying really close to its novel counterpart. Good job.

That dual blades is awesome, fight may seems short but in truth the novel only took up 1 page to describe it, so I'm okay with it.

Next episode is gonna be real chilly. Gonna look forward to it.

Well deserved 10/10. This series keep getting better and better.

@people complaining about asuna being love-stricken damstress

Wait for the episode. Lol.
XydenicSkySep 2, 2012 2:14 PM
Sep 2, 2012 2:14 PM

Jul 2011
makoa69 said:
kamikaze_1996 said:
makoa69 said:
I don't really understand how 'skills' work here. They're breathing, eating, sleeping, walking around, etc in that world right? Why would you need a toggle choice in your menu to be physically capable of putting a second sword in your other hand? That makes no sense to me whatsoever.

thats not the point, you can put a second sword on your hand but you won't be able to activate dual wielded sword skills, if your current attack pattern is set to 1 handed sword skills, it will imbalance the system and your sword skills will be disrupted, you would need to have dual blades as one of your options to use it

Are you implying that all the moves they do, like jump dodging, blocking with the sword, etc are all skills they acquired in their toggle menu? I just assumed that when Kirito fights he's just swinging a sword around based on his own sword fighting abilities learned while existing in the the virtual world. If a person who already was a master swordsman in real life entered the game, he/she would be overpowered. If your fighting abilities are restricted to only what you've attained in your toggle menu, that saps away a ton of the freedom one could have in the SAO world. Isn't the 'realness', and 'freedom' the only reasons to play a VR MMO?
The same thing goes for equipping stuff. Say your friend has passed out and you're protecting him when your sword gets broken. If I had full freedom and realness granted to me, I should either be able to fight barehanded with my own knowledge of boxing/karate/muay thai, whatever, or I could dash toward my friend and grab his weapon and fight with that. If skills and equipping are restricted in SAO, then I can do neither of those choices.

sorry for the late reply, i was a little busy

you misunderstand my point, what i meant was that you can't activate dual bladed skills such as starburst stream without dual blades as one of your slots

you can pick up a second sword and attack but you won't be able to activate sword skills which is a bad idea because sword skills are the best means of offence and damage
Sep 2, 2012 2:18 PM
Mar 2012
this thread lacks eloquence
Sep 2, 2012 2:20 PM

Jul 2012
the best scene was when liz walked in.
Sep 2, 2012 2:40 PM

Jun 2012
I have a feeling Kirito will lose the match. The guild is ranked 1 in all of SAO making the guild leader one of the strongest characters in the game. For once, I actually want to see Kirito lose and taste defeat.
Sep 2, 2012 2:46 PM

Dec 2009
Shaja said:
the best scene was when liz walked in.

True <3
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Sep 2, 2012 3:01 PM
Apr 2011
PirateKingz said:
I have a feeling Kirito will lose the match. The guild is ranked 1 in all of SAO making the guild leader one of the strongest characters in the game. For once, I actually want to see Kirito lose and taste defeat.

If I was Kirito I would WANT to lose. His antisocial habits forced him to play solo. He doesn't like playing solo. Having a reason to join the #1 guild is a dream come true. He can set aside some of his pride for the sake of his survival.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Sep 2, 2012 3:06 PM
Apr 2011
kamikaze_1996 said:
makoa69 said:
kamikaze_1996 said:
makoa69 said:

sorry for the late reply, i was a little busy

you misunderstand my point, what i meant was that you can't activate dual bladed skills such as starburst stream without dual blades as one of your slots

you can pick up a second sword and attack but you won't be able to activate sword skills which is a bad idea because sword skills are the best means of offence and damage

But what is starburst stream? I assumed it was just a name Kirito coined himself, the move being just slashing a bunch of times really fast. If starburst stream is a 'skill' Kirito can select from his toggle menu, then who's to say 'slash right', 'forward jab', 'sidestep', etc aren't also moves from the toggle menu?
My confusion is simply this: I don't get why somebody can't do starburst stream (holding a sword in both hands and slashing really fast) whenever he/she desired. It's not like learning a magic spell, where you have to be awarded the ability to throw fireballs, starburst stream is merely a body motion. Why do you need permission to move your body a certain way?
Sep 2, 2012 3:15 PM

Aug 2009
makoa69 said:

But what is starburst stream? I assumed it was just a name Kirito coined himself, the move being just slashing a bunch of times really fast. If starburst stream is a 'skill' Kirito can select from his toggle menu, then who's to say 'slash right', 'forward jab', 'sidestep', etc aren't also moves from the toggle menu?
My confusion is simply this: I don't get why somebody can't do starburst stream (holding a sword in both hands and slashing really fast) whenever he/she desired. It's not like learning a magic spell, where you have to be awarded the ability to throw fireballs, starburst stream is merely a body motion. Why do you need permission to move your body a certain way?

Starburst stream, from a gamer's POV is an executed move that only that player/s can execute. If you look at it in a way where moves can only be executed through algorithms due to their being in a virtual world, it is understandable if only a few(or in the anime, only Kirito so far) has such special skill due to gamemaker making it exclusive and offering it only those who have met some sort of requisition That's not far off from how MMO's are at the moment and only serve to show how good/special you are at the game.
Sep 2, 2012 3:20 PM

May 2012
Definitely my favourite episode
Sep 2, 2012 3:20 PM
Apr 2011
TensaiShonen said:
makoa69 said:

Starburst stream, from a gamer's POV is an executed move that only that player/s can execute. If you look at it in a way where moves can only be executed through algorithms due to their being in a virtual world, it is understandable if only a few(or in the anime, only Kirito so far) has such special skill due to gamemaker making it exclusive and offering it only those who have met some sort of requisition That's not far off from how MMO's are at the moment and only serve to show how good/special you are at the game.

But SAO is different from regular MMOs in that you don't have to give commands to your avatar telling it what to do. Instead, you ARE the avatar, and as such you should be fully free to move however you like. Having to select starburst stream from my toggle menu means I'm not fully in control of myself, and I need permissions from the game to do certain things.
Sep 2, 2012 3:25 PM

Jul 2009
makoa69 said:

In almost every MMO, almost every melee class attack is a body motion. Therefore your argument is invalid. Applying your logic to MMO games would make every melee class OP.
Of course he can take a second sword into his other hand and swing it, but what good would that do? No skill activation = no real damage. Heck, he could even end up hitting himself since dual-wielding is like piano playing. AFAIK in SAO the skills are activated by positioning your body in certain ways (I believe it was explained in episode 1)
TsundereppoiSep 2, 2012 3:31 PM
Sep 2, 2012 3:37 PM

Jan 2008
makoa69 said:

Because they can't dual wield to begin with.
Sep 2, 2012 3:40 PM

Jul 2012
Dual Blades!
Best ep so far in my opinion, the fighting scene was awesome.
But.. those strange facial expressions ... o.O
Pages (16) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What is your favorite op?

infinite_Shadows - Oct 6

25 by alban123 »»
Oct 17, 9:21 AM

Poll: » is it just me, or do you guys also like asuna a lot? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Sep 25

77 by naceale2019 »»
Oct 16, 4:53 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 22, 2012

1447 by thugnation1337 »»
Oct 6, 6:26 AM

» Happy birthday Asuna!

TASM18 - Sep 30

34 by hazecloud »»
Oct 4, 6:44 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2012

1271 by Boopry »»
Oct 2, 1:47 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.