Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Feb 10, 2012 12:27 AM

May 2009
Ugh this episode struck a cord with me...Some parts of it were really well done. Still something really off about this series. Also... I take it her legs were working at the end? We saw her sitting on her knees.

Really don't like wheel chair bitch. Like usually I am all up for crazy characters...but wow...idk something about her or the episode just made me want to punch her lights out.
Feb 10, 2012 12:44 AM

Dec 2010
Ok episode, Kagari really got on my nerves the whole episode; felt zero sympathy for her character. The animation for the "other" world was great once again, but just like the first episode the "real" world animation felt like it was lacking. Does anyone understand what happened at the end?
Feb 10, 2012 12:44 AM

Jan 2011
I think I jizzed so much while watching this episode, LMAO! Not literally by the way. ROFL xD
Seriously though, I loved this episode. Lots of BRS fanservice, good fanservice that is.
Here are my favourite parts of the episode:
Kagari fell down the stairs only to twist her wrist and needs to stay in possible? LOLWUT, how anti-climatic. :P

Kagari in BRS world spamming macaroons was so hilarious. Absolute hax right there. XD

BRS activating her Machine Gun - Holy shit, that was so bloody awesome. Though I found it way too hilarious how explosions appeared from the macaroons rofl. xD

BLACK GOLD SAW FINALLY APPEARS, OH HECK YEAH! 2nd favourite BRS character after BRS. :D

BRS's BLUE FLAME ON HER LEFT EYE FINALLY APPEARED AS WELL! Oh man, so badass.
^You can tell I'm quite a BRS fanatic. :P
Overall, loved this episode. Can't wait for more of my weekly BRS dosage. :D
Feb 10, 2012 12:47 AM

Oct 2011
I actually liked this episode, after getting used to the art from the first episode, i could concentrate on the storyline a bit more and feel the mood that they are trying to create. Also the action the other world gave me some nice thrills and the ending was quite something.
Overall i think they will make something out of this anime, even though its not what i was expecting, it's still enjoyable.
Feb 10, 2012 1:09 AM
Dec 2010
raxius1230 said:
Xtc said:
I loved it when Mato's gun transformed into a machine gun and she started shooting. Someone should make a gif of that.

Something like this??

You are a genius.

Anyway, Kagari X Yomi = Yandere X Yuri
Feb 10, 2012 2:16 AM
Feb 2012
Can anyone tell me the name of the ED song pls
Feb 10, 2012 2:18 AM
May 2010
A bit better than ep01 cause of inner world scenes is some kind of related. Still hate the character design but there is nothing but to deal with it.
Feb 10, 2012 2:49 AM

Oct 2011
indeed it's better
but it would be hard to make it more boring than first episode - so we have some progres here

but again it needs to be told...
GIVE ME BACK MY THERMAE ROMAE!
Feb 10, 2012 3:48 AM

May 2010
What the hell happened to that crazy girl ? Why did she suddenly had that "nice smile" ?
Feb 10, 2012 4:03 AM
Oct 2011
great episode, if you skip the mato's world and only watch the fighting scene :p
that's what i do by the way...
Feb 10, 2012 4:10 AM
Oct 2009
Omniknight said:
What bothers me, aside from the over-simplistic plot, is that the battles, despite being very well done in terms of animation, don't make any sense at all. How does Black Rock Shooter not take ANY lasting damage from being run over by a giant spider mech and being impaled from front to back by its claws? How does she still run after being twisted by all those chains? How did that spider mech reform suddenly back to its original shape after BRS shot off its legs in the ending of the first episode?

I might sound a bit stupid stating the obvious, but you do realize it's a metaphor, right? A fantasy world, not ours. More precisely, an inner world, ruled not by the laws of science, but laws of emotions.
Feb 10, 2012 4:46 AM

Jan 2012
Xtc said:
I loved it when Mato's gun transformed into a machine gun and she started shooting. Someone should make a gif of that.

Hell yeah! One of the best transformations I've seen on an anime!!

Hate Kagari!!!

Feb 10, 2012 5:07 AM

Oct 2011
Ending of the episode = me -> ???
So confused.
Feb 10, 2012 5:44 AM
Sep 2011
This episode was intense, Kagari freaking out was great stuff. I have the feeling I would be quite iffy about the plot if I think too much about it but as long as I indulge myself in the boisterous action scenes it will be fine... for now. Yes, overall some of the character's interactions feel a bit too juvenile and the story seems too simplicistic at some points but considering the young age of the main characters it doesn't bother me too much.
Feb 10, 2012 6:13 AM

Jan 2010
Kagari's such a bitch, I hope she'd have died already. If I'd be Yomi I'd kill her already...
Feb 10, 2012 8:32 AM

Dec 2011
Feb 10, 2012 9:50 AM
Sep 2011
WOOW so Jam Packed!
I wonder who the fourth girl in the other world was? She looked very Mean :(
Feb 10, 2012 10:03 AM

Dec 2009
Yomi's mother is no smarter than a carpet ...
Feb 10, 2012 10:23 AM

Feb 2008
Do WhyNot's subs suck or is just Mato retarded? That stuff she was saying to Yomi made no sense. "You are no tiny bird game. I want you to play with me." Something like that. I get the tiny bird game part, but the things she said made no sense.

Great episode. Poor Mato and her chubby little feet. I know the feeling.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Feb 10, 2012 10:33 AM

Jul 2008
Tomah said:
Omniknight said:
What bothers me, aside from the over-simplistic plot, is that the battles, despite being very well done in terms of animation, don't make any sense at all. How does Black Rock Shooter not take ANY lasting damage from being run over by a giant spider mech and being impaled from front to back by its claws? How does she still run after being twisted by all those chains? How did that spider mech reform suddenly back to its original shape after BRS shot off its legs in the ending of the first episode?

I might sound a bit stupid stating the obvious, but you do realize it's a metaphor, right? A fantasy world, not ours. More precisely, an inner world, ruled not by the laws of science, but laws of emotions.

I was about to point that out too. From what I can see, The Black Rock Shooter world is a metaphorical world, representing the characters emotions. The fight scenes are just representations of the emotional "damage" they are inflicting and/or taking.

Also, they make it pretty clear that these are dreams.
Feb 10, 2012 11:54 AM

Nov 2007
Okay, this series has some of the worst drama ever. God, so silly.
Feb 10, 2012 12:20 PM

Feb 2010
Fuck it. I can't watch this anymore. The drama is unbearably bad and the fights cannot make up for it. I would rather watch the OVA 8 times than watch this for another second.
Feb 10, 2012 1:22 PM

Jan 2010
Most of the time this thing feel's so awkward, lol. Must be the intense fighting music in the middle of a dramatic scene.
Feb 10, 2012 1:50 PM

Oct 2006
I guess you could say Kagari finally lost her head.
Feb 10, 2012 2:25 PM
Jul 2018
You know, I actually liked this episode. It had some good, intense action

Also Black Gold Saw
Feb 10, 2012 2:57 PM

Feb 2012
it annoys me that Kagari kinda looked like Taiga, really, i cant stand that girl and i love Taiga ; )
btw, interesting episode.
Feb 10, 2012 3:10 PM

Jul 2008
Manu_ said:
it annoys me that Kagari kinda looked like Taiga, really, i cant stand that girl and i love Taiga ; )
btw, interesting episode.

I totally agree with you on that
Feb 10, 2012 3:48 PM

Aug 2011
The end...thats probably my biggest WTF moment...as in I cant even think of a theory of the result......
Feb 10, 2012 3:53 PM

Jul 2011
Tomah said:
Omniknight said:

If that's true... then it's just silly. So what, they have to show metaphors to the viewers understand the "psychological pain" the characters are going through? I'm starting to think that the BRS scenes are just there for fanservice
Feb 10, 2012 4:34 PM

Apr 2011
There's only one thing for me that could sum up this episode:
Feb 10, 2012 4:41 PM

Jun 2009
Damn, i haven'r seen such irritating episode in long time, thought i'd accidecialy destroy my monitor while watching this.
Chara design had less chrashes this time compared to ep1, only thing that went for better. Episode alone was pretty terrible, plot is ridiculous and little bitch annoyed the hell out of me, i hope Mato stuffs her with those dirty macarons and she dies by the end. Or in case Black Gold Saw turns out to actually be Kagari, (which was hinter this episode but is a totally retarder idea) Yuu does it to her.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Feb 10, 2012 5:11 PM
Aug 2011
I guess this series was fated to receive a lot of tough criticism since everyone had it built up in their heads.

Seems decent enough to me.

I see what others are saying about Taiga's look alike. Kagari be crazy though.
Feb 10, 2012 6:02 PM

Jun 2009
I don't know how much more of this I can take...
Feb 10, 2012 6:16 PM

Dec 2011
WHOA.

That was... INTENSE! XD I loved it! WAAAY better than the first episode~ :)
IT HAS GIVEN ME A THRILL
YAY

Oooh, Black Gold Saw... such a mystery! Who is she? She can slice through that fantasy world like a knife through butter, apparently!

Who thinks it's the guidance counselor? I know I do! :D
Feb 10, 2012 6:19 PM

Sep 2010
Kefkiroth said:
Loved that epic machine gun. xD

Wonder what happened to Kagari... it looked like some sort of a personality change.

Still confused about the mixed reviews. I guess with BRS, you either love it or hate it(I watched the OVA btw).

Pretty sure its cause well action is nice and i guess the school drama could work out but... theres no connection. Symbolism is all well and good when its used properly. Usually it makes things seem more thought out or intelligent i suppose. This however feels... pointless. Rather than tie into the plot it feels like its put there purely to draw in the action junkies and BRS fanbois.

I like BRS alot too but this just feels so ... empty theres no purpose behind BRS's world other than to mirror the cheasy real worlds drama with cool but totally out of place action scenes since creators didn't seem to want to create a plot that REALLY involved BRS world. Le sigh
Few maxims have done as much harm as, "Children should be seen and not heard."
Feb 10, 2012 6:23 PM

Dec 2011
LadyOrihime said:
EPISODE 3'S PREVIEW IS UP ON THE OFFICIAL SITE:

http://www.noitamina-brs.jp/

Well, now I'm almost sure of it- the guidance counselor is TOTALLY Black Gold Saw! XD

And I'm convinced that that guidance counselor knows something Mato doesn't... *WINK WINK* ;]
Feb 10, 2012 6:27 PM

Sep 2010
ryanagamis said:
great episode, if you skip the mato's world and only watch the fighting scene :p
that's what i do by the way...

Haha you may be onto something there :P
Feb 10, 2012 6:29 PM

Dec 2011
It's entertaining to watch, but I just want a goddamn ACTUAL explanation.
If the BRS scenes are just a ~metaphor~ for the character's emotional suffering and it keeps going like this until the end, then... It will end up being pointless and very disappointing.

And I feel like the only person who actually likes Kagari and her crazy bitchness. Yomi is ten times more annoying than her.
Feb 10, 2012 6:29 PM

Oct 2011
I have to say, considering how much I liked (see: Hated) the first episode, I thought this one would be even worse - but DAMN. DAAAAMMMMNNN.

As much as I would have preferred them to use animation instead of CG, the fight scenes are extremely, and I mean EXTREMELY well done, with plenty of smooth movements and choreography.

I think the main idea behind BRS as an anime/movie IP is that it is based on two worlds, the real world, and the other world, which represents the emotions of the world, and the emotions of the people living in it.

I disliked the first episode probably most likely because it didn't fit what BRS was when it started as an Image/Character - but I don;t really mind this style too much. I would have preferred the characters being about 2 or so years older, but I don't mind this, surprisingly.

I can understand people wanting a more serious looking story/anime after seeing the original dark images that started BRS as an IP - BUT - I think that this fits the bill perfectly. It's very very dark, and the emotions portrayed are very real.

People like that just need to get used to BRS being portrayed in a slightly different way than she was made originally - it's not worse at all, just different.

I like the way that they've done this, and the only thing I would have wanted them to change is make the 2D animation smoother to match the 3D CG animation.

What are all of your thoughts? Does anyone want to offer their opinion on the above?
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To
Feb 10, 2012 6:37 PM

Sep 2010
Harii said:
Tomah said:
Omniknight said:

That is it EXACTLY. Such a shame really. Truly a shame :(
Feb 10, 2012 6:38 PM

Oct 2008
Harii said:
Tomah said:
Omniknight said:

If that's true... then it's just silly. So what, they have to show metaphors to the viewers understand the "psychological pain" the characters are going through? I'm starting to think that the BRS scenes are just there for fanservice

I totally agree with you here. I took the same view as you in my episode 1 post. The "dark" world doesn't add anything to the real one as is simply used as an excuse to have battles. This by itself I woundn't mind so much... but the battles lack any sense of reason or any kind of cause and effect. After being stomped on, impaled, twisted by ropes, BRS is still kicking? WHAT? What does this add to the "real" world? Because of this, should I expect Chariot, who was beheaded to make a return later on?

We get the worst of both worlds here. The emotional scenes are constantly interrupted by the battle scenes and the great battle animations are interrupted by "real" world scenes. As a result, neither feels really engaging.

I can see if they paced the scene better, added a stronger link between the real and magical world or simply just dropped the "real" world side altogether, this anime would be far better. The "real" life emotional side of the story has been done by many animes before and done far better.

The same problem as the OVA...
The battle scenes however are extremely well animated, despite lacking any kind of meaning.
OmniknightFeb 10, 2012 6:42 PM
Feb 10, 2012 6:39 PM

Dec 2011
BRSxIgnition said:
I can understand people wanting a more serious looking story/anime after seeing the original dark images that started BRS as an IP - BUT - I think that this fits the bill perfectly. It's very very dark, and the emotions portrayed are very real.

People like that just need to get used to BRS being portrayed in a slightly different way than she was made originally - it's not worse at all, just different.

You couldn't have put it in a better way! 8'D

Of course, an anime show won't be able to fulfill every single person's different views of how it should be. It just doesn't work that way!

BRSxIgnition said:
I would have preferred the characters being about 2 or so years older, but I don't mind this, surprisingly.

HMMM. I would've DEFINITELY also liked older characters, but it's all right as it is. They might not've been so innocent if they were older, so... there's that! :3
Feb 10, 2012 6:50 PM

Oct 2011
N/A
BRSxIgnitionFeb 10, 2012 7:20 PM
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
Feb 10, 2012 6:58 PM

Sep 2010
BRSxIgnition said:
In addition to my other post above, I'd like to add that I don't see why people are expecting such a deep plot or realism from this anime.

It was based on an image, that itself, had no realism. A girl holding a massive metal mortar cannon/gun.

I actually love the world and characters they have created here:

There is the real world, the one you and me would live in. It has troubles and happiness, and things that cause them - things like Kagari being struck by the car, and Yomi being confined to help her. These things happen, and could even happen similarly in my life or yours.

But there is also Black Rock Shooter's world, circling around this world we live in. In that world, every room, ever situation, ever person, is based off the emotions of the corresponding item/person/place in our world. Black Rock Shooter is a personification of Mato's willpower. Dead Master is based upon Yomi's problem with taking action. Chariot is based upon Kagari's emotions of wanting to move, and wanting to 'own' Yomi.

This anime focuses on emotions, if that wasn't obvious. It wasn't designed to be a political drama like Code Geass, or promised to be a plot-filled story like Gosick.It's based off a single image - I think they did an amazing job on interpreting it.

My complaints with Dead Master's new design remain, but I don't mind the other character designs..

... At least that's my take. Agree or Disagree - I just hope you open your mind a little bit.

That single image has spawned many different BRS "universes" This anime just happens to be the worst of them :P Personally I enjoyed the game's the most thus far and hear the manga's got an interesting set up as well (haven't got round to reading it yet lol)
Anyway I'd expect more from it since even Queen's blade managed to make a halfway decent story out of itself thats going on 3 seasons now and it was also based on nothing more than images. Surely it isn't asking too much of it to at least be semi coherent with itself or at the very least actually be ABOUT Black Rock Shooter which it currently is not.
Feb 10, 2012 6:59 PM

Dec 2011
This anime focuses on emotions, if that wasn't obvious. It wasn't designed to be a political drama like Code Geass, or promised to be a plot-filled story like Gosick.It's based off a single image - I think they did an amazing job on interpreting it.

Well, since it seems like this is actually what this anime is meant to be, I think that's actually the problem with BRS. It's meant to focus on the character's feelings, but everything is so rushed and confused, and the characters have such unrealistic actions and personality twists that it's making everything weird...
Feb 10, 2012 7:04 PM

Apr 2008
The show is different enough that I have more hope for it than a lot of current shows, but...

Shih said:
The plot feels childish. The characters' actions feel unreal.
The fantasy world is just a mirror image of the real world... filler? = =|
Battle scenes are boring... One side gets owned, then it suddenly switches....
Lost interest... Sigh.
At least ED is enjoyable.

This is pretty much how I feel. The real world half is less believable than the BRS world. Everything about the extremity of their reactions seems so unreal and painfully awkward. It doesn't help that it's so rushed. Okay, I can see the general guilt scenario, but destroying all outside relationships and carving in her flesh along with faking being crippled for years? It doesn't work. And I'd definitely agree that the fights, while flashy, don't have any sense of gravity. I can't get invested in them. They're too meaningless, both in cause and effect.

shizu_bara said:
Manu_ said:

I totally agree with you on that

I got the same impression, especially on some of the closeups. In my case, though, opinion was low enough that just seeing something like Taiga was a boost.

So yeah, not too happy with it. The whole thing just stinks of we couldn't come up with a real plot for the BRS characters.
Feb 10, 2012 7:19 PM

Oct 2011
In addition to my other post above, I'd like to add that I don't see why people are expecting such a deep plot or realism from this anime.

It was based on an image, that itself, had no realism. A girl holding a massive metal mortar cannon/gun.

I actually love the world and characters they have created here:

There is the real world, the one you and me would live in. It has troubles and happiness, and things that cause them - things like Kagari being struck by the car, and Yomi being confined to help her. These things happen, and could even happen similarly in my life or yours.

But there is also Black Rock Shooter's world, circling around this world we live in. In that world, every room, ever situation, ever person, is based off the emotions of the corresponding item/person/place in our world. Black Rock Shooter is a personification of Mato's willpower. Dead Master is based upon Yomi's problem with taking action. Chariot is based upon Kagari's emotions of wanting to move, and wanting to 'own' Yomi.

My complaints with Dead Master's new design remain, but I don't mind the other character designs..

... At least that's my take. Agree or Disagree - I just hope you open your mind a little bit.
Feb 10, 2012 9:33 PM

Oct 2008
This anime is trying too hard to be 'cool'.

I like the animation, but I don't find any of the characters to be appealing and the story so far is kind of boring. It's not bad but I think if it wasn't trying so hard to be dark and mysterious it might be better... oh well.
Feb 10, 2012 10:26 PM
Feb 2009
that kagari is... =_=

so the people in BRS's world is those people who bear the pain of people in Mato's world? I hope in the end this anime shows the connection of these two worlds.

I'm finally getting used to Yomi and DM's glasses... well isn't that a relief they only alter the design. as long as Yomi and DM is still voiced by Miyukichi, I won't mind the char design.
Feb 11, 2012 12:32 AM

Sep 2011
Hey hey stop there, why ending this arc in just 2 episodes? I want to see more of Kagari's jealous lesbian girl side! I guess that's the pacing I have to expect for a show with just 8 episodes. But it's damn too fast! Dialogue seemed rushed, so many elaboration was left out, and Kagari changed her heart so quickly that I couldn't catch up and went all 'WTF???' after the episode.

Still, a 3.5/5 for the animation and music.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Black Rocker Shooter. Good Anime or Not?

BoldBrad - Aug 10, 2014

30 by mmKALLL »»
Oct 7, 8:03 PM

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Paul - Feb 2, 2012

337 by Cridland »»
Jun 9, 5:07 PM

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Mar 22, 2012

323 by removed-user »»
Jan 12, 4:57 AM

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Feb 23, 2012

239 by Kiba_Senpai »»
Oct 7, 2023 4:00 PM

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Mar 15, 2012

149 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 3, 2022 6:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.