Do you?
Yes
48.4%
No
51.6%
124 votes
Jul 5, 2009 2:31 AM

Dec 2007
Do you ever use the word "gay" with a negative connotation? Do you ever call someone a faggot as an insult? If so, do you ever realize how much of an idiot you sound like? Do you know any gay people that if you did this in front of it would lead to a really awkward situation?

Just wanted to hear some opinions.

I used to, I don't even know how it happen, just one day I realized that I had been doing it(probably for a long time) and thought it was really lame so I stopped.

#NBHNC
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 5, 2009 2:37 AM

Aug 2008
I occasionally call people "faggots" but that's usually a slip of the tongue :P
I try to avoid homophobic terms.

I don't like gays but that is no reason for me to dis-respect them.

Jan 2009
yes,yes, disagree, yes

Jul 2008
Used to...way long ago...I am not into calling names anymore. LOL. ^_^
And I obviously realized that "gay" isn't all that much of an insult...Personal taste...Why bother questioning it? :P
Jul 5, 2009 2:40 AM
Nov 2007
Used to use "gay" all the time. A few years ago, I decided I had ought to stop, so I've been weeding out of my vocabulary.

When I'm really irritated, however, it's not uncommon to hear a "shut the fuck up faggot" or "stop being a fucking faggot" from me.

Whatever. No one seems to care about the word "nigger" as long as there aren't any black people around. Unless of course, you yourself are black and are surrounded by other black people.
Jul 5, 2009 2:43 AM

Jun 2009
I use the term "fag" and "gay" and "faggot" all the time.

Not in a SUPER derogatory way, but more of a "bullshitting with my friends" kinda way.

Even though I am bisexual, I do not let such petty language affect me, so it really doesn't have any real meaning to me.
Jul 5, 2009 2:47 AM

Aug 2008
@OP

What about "Son of a Bitch"? Isn't that disrespectful too? Wouldn't it lead to to awkward situation too, it there's actually someone who's mother is a prostitute?

And what about the "Idiot" that you've used just now? It can lead to awkward situation too if there's someone who is actually an idiot...

The reason why you've stopped using words "gay" and "faggot" is to feel cool about yourself, not because you actually care for other people...
Jul 5, 2009 2:57 AM

Dec 2007
Esley said:
@OP

What about "Son of a Bitch"? Isn't that disrespectful too? Wouldn't it lead to to awkward situation too, it there's actually someone who's mother is a prostitute?
Personally I get pissed as hell since my parents are dead.

And what about the "Idiot" that you've used just now? It can lead to awkward situation too if there's someone who is actually an idiot...
I didn't say that you would be an idiot, just that you would be saying something that really lacked any thought at all, bringing the stupidity upon yourself.

The reason why you've stopped using words "gay" and "faggot" is to feel cool about yourself, not because you actually care for other people...
Oh no, your psychology has proven to be superior to my own. You know exactly the reason behind why I do everything, and not what goes on in my life to make me do the things that I do. The reason why you try to point this out is to feel cool about yourself, not because you actually know anything about other people...

#NBHNC
Jul 5, 2009 3:05 AM

Sep 2008
lol, yes I do. Living in a hick town, plenty of people use it in a bad way and I picked up on it some how. Really need to quit and get it out of my system, because I'm moving to San Francisco soon, and the last thing I need is to make enemies outta gay guys/girls who could kick my ass...
Jul 5, 2009 3:15 AM

Jan 2008
I do, but it's usually an accident.
I don't have a censor for my language, so if I end up talking too much while I'm around friends, I'll probably end up saying something along the lines of 'you're a fag' or ''how gay'.

I know the whole awkward situation, but it isn't that bad, because he knows it's an accident, but even during the first time he heard me say one of the two lines, he just went 'Ah ah ah! What did you just say?' and made me fix my sentence.
I'm trying to fix my language, but damn it's hard when it's a habit to use the words. D:
Jul 5, 2009 3:16 AM

Apr 2007
When I use "gay", "queer", and "faggot", I mean "carefree", "strange", and "a British meatball dish", respectively. I don't like how three perfectly good, established English words were wasted in the last century by being appropriated to mean "homosexual".

It doesn't stop there. Talk about those things that protect the Netherlands from the North Sea and you get snickers. Laughter if you try to tell the tale about the boy in the Hans Brinker story who stuck his thumb in one to save his town. Can you imagine what misery the guy at the Krispy Kreme factory who puts the holes in goes through when he has to go to his son's school for parents' career day and tells the class that he's a "doughnut puncher"? Same goes for the guy who the packer at the fudge factory.

In other words, quit appropriating good, quality words to describe homosexuality, people. For the sake of our language, use something traditional, like Sodomite, Tribad, or Fanny Bandit.
Jul 5, 2009 3:16 AM
Mar 2009
No, as, living in Australia and thus having weird uses for 9/10 words that people overseas use for rude/vulgar/sexual terms, and also being surprisingly accepting of most things (seriously, if you add 'no offence' onto the end of most things you say, you can get away with anything short of flag burning), if I did, it just wouldn't sound right... to me anyway.

Gay, I use only as a describing word, never an insult.
Fag, is a cigarette/cigar.
Faggot, I only use it for the other meanings of the word (see dictionary.com)

Jul 5, 2009 3:53 AM

Aug 2008
@PeanutSteak

You're the one who did this topic.

It's like - "Oooh look, I've stopped calling other people "gays"! I'm sooo cool now! I'll make a thread about it so people will see how better I'm, and how they're totally idiots! (To read with nerdy accent)

But honestly, I don't really give a shit about it. I've just posted the first thing that came to my mind when I read the first post. If you're saying it's not the case, then be it...
Jul 5, 2009 4:42 AM

Feb 2005
I use it that way all the time, yes, even towards one of my friends that happen to be gay. As long as the people in question know you are merely using it for the lulz or as a general insult and aren't aiming it seriously toward their sexual preferences, there's no harm in that.
Jul 5, 2009 4:56 AM

Jul 2007
I use often and i use it as an insult as well. Many times for fun some times in rage.
Jul 5, 2009 5:00 AM

Mar 2008
Do you ever use the word "gay" with a negative connotation?

Sure I do.

Do you ever call someone a faggot as an insult?

Of course. There are hateful people all around me.

If so, do you ever realize how much of an idiot you sound like?

What about you? Do you realize what an idiot you sound like for starting this thread?

Do you know any gay people that if you did this in front of it would lead to a really awkward situation?

Stating the obvious/truth is never akward.
Jul 5, 2009 5:11 AM

Nov 2008
I never understood how the word "gay" was an insult hence why I never use it as such.
Jul 5, 2009 6:06 AM

Dec 2008
I use it. I never actually found out what it meant until using it for a couple of years. I know gay people who use it like that so I don't see why if it's not offensive from them it should be a total taboo for everyone else.
I myself take it like someone calling me stupid or lame, yeah it's meant to hurt me but it's only 'coz they aren't quick enough to think of a better insult.
Jul 5, 2009 6:10 AM

Feb 2008
I use word gay to describe bad music. My vulgar words are usually constructed out of religious terms. Using sexual preferences for insulting to me is a bit childish.
Jul 5, 2009 6:16 AM

Dec 2007
Doesn't gay mean "happy" or something?

How and why is it derogatory? The English slang amazes me sometimes.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jul 5, 2009 6:22 AM

Oct 2008
Yes, 'gay' and 'fag' I use a lot with friends. Of course it has no relation to the 'proper' term (even though gay and fag are colloquial terms anyway).

chinlamp said:
(seriously, if you add 'no offence' onto the end of most things you say, you can get away with anything short of flag burning)
lol, tell me about it. It makes everything ok.
Jul 5, 2009 6:26 AM

Dec 2008
Only on the internet.
Jul 5, 2009 6:28 AM

Jul 2008
Unless they're actually gay.
LEGENDOFTHEGALACTICHEROESLEGENDOFTHEGALACTI
Jul 5, 2009 6:36 AM
Aug 2007
Dozer said:

What about you? Do you realize what an idiot you sound like for starting this thread?

THIS
Jul 5, 2009 6:37 AM

Jun 2009
i used to think it was derogatory. but not anymore.

i used to everything gay that went wrong like say a glitch in a game or if i triped over somthing it was always GAY.

anyway at one point i remeber somone getting pissed at me for keep on saying that so i stopped.

i dont insult people in general i dont dislike gay people i just dislike people. so if a person happens to be gay and i dislike them then i will just call them an idiot as standard to use gay as an insult would mean insulting all gays. like with anything.

i try to avoid confrontation wards all together.
you are a parasite that lives off others suffering. no i do not care what happend/happens to you.
Jul 5, 2009 7:07 AM

Oct 2008
Aeiou said:
Unless they're actually gay.
roflofl
Jul 5, 2009 7:37 AM

Dec 2008
Used to. But now its just outdated slang.
Jul 5, 2009 7:40 AM

Oct 2007
I don't use "gay" or "faggot" as an insult to someone, ever. But I may say "that's gay" if something just doesn't work out like I'd want it to, or if I'm disappointed blablabla, but not very often. c:
Jul 5, 2009 7:50 AM
Jun 2008
Yes, I do. I use "faggot", "gay" and many others jokingly with friends and as a general insult. When something goes wrong, it also becomes gay, very gay.

PeanutSteak said:

Hypocritcal statement is hypocritical.
TPOJul 5, 2009 7:53 AM

Jul 5, 2009 7:56 AM
Jun 2008
I don't. Its use kind of promotes homophobia doesn't it?

In general, I'm trying to avoid swearing and similar words all together. :)
Jul 5, 2009 8:00 AM
Jun 2008
Sure thing, when I'm referring to taste the rainbow, peanut-chasing, ass mastering, poofy, sparkly fairy faggots. But sometimes I use it when I refer to gay men.
Jul 5, 2009 8:10 AM

May 2008
I'd be more likely to call something Jewish.

Why settle for a common form of bigotry when you can actually make people jump back and then explain to them other situations that are just as well. It's much more fun to offend people with a prejudice they've actually grown out of. Keeps people thinking instead of politically correct.

Also, the best way to ever reply to something like "are you a cock sucking fairy?" is "are you a nigger loving Jew?". And then it's fun to laugh when they call you a racist bigot afterward.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jul 5, 2009 8:13 AM

Mar 2009
no, and i do indeed get offended when i hear people using it that way
Jul 5, 2009 8:13 AM

May 2008
Not so much... though more as a matter of class than one of sensitivity.
Jul 5, 2009 8:48 AM

Jul 2008
Missy said:
But I may say "that's gay" if something just doesn't work out like I'd want it to, or if I'm disappointed blablabla, but not very often. c:

Ahhh I do that out of habit! >.< My SO says this all the time so it's rubbed off of me.

One time, I said it like that in front of one of my friends who's totally homosexual. He punched me in the shoulder while I screamed "I didn't mean it like that!" :P Much lulz were had.

I only ever use the term "faggot" or "fag" while talking to my brother. We make fun of each other by using the terms, but at this point they don't even have any relation to sexuality anymore. But obviously, anyone else would misunderstand so I don't say it in public. Same with the word "nigger." And of course, the only time we use the word "faggot" is when I'm trying to piss him off about something and I say "DO IT FAGGOT" which IIRC is a meme, and thus that's the only reason to use it.

I am the senpai that notices you.

Jul 5, 2009 9:00 AM
Jan 2009
Used to when I was younger.
Jul 5, 2009 9:05 AM

Feb 2008
Meh, sometimes not alot. My step sister is a full blown rug muncher and she says it in a derogatory manor quite alot......
Jul 5, 2009 9:40 AM
Mar 2009
Yes. Not that often, only when something goes wrong or it's someone I hate. Or something. But I have all these gay pictures on my computer it's just... yeah.
Jul 5, 2009 9:48 AM
Dec 2007
Do you ever use the word "gay" with a negative connotation?

Yup

Do you ever call someone a faggot as an insult?

Yes I do.

Yes, actually.
Do you know any gay people that if you did this in front of it would lead to a really awkward situation?

I don't know any gay people.
Jul 5, 2009 9:50 AM

Jun 2008
I use it alot.. rather I'd like to or not.

Its just like I always scream Oh my god or Jesus fucking Christ.. even though I am an atheist.

Just a habit
Jul 5, 2009 9:59 AM

Jan 2009
Yeah i do, usually when something just happened that i don't agree with and i will be like "That's gay" or something along those lines.
Jul 5, 2009 11:33 AM

Jun 2009
burntlettuce said:
Yeah i do, usually when something just happened that i don't agree with and i will be like "That's gay" or something along those lines.

thats not derogatory though. but i suppose if you feel that it is it is.
you are a parasite that lives off others suffering. no i do not care what happend/happens to you.
Jul 5, 2009 11:41 AM

Apr 2009
i say "that's gay" a lot.

because i honestly don't care what others think.
in your nostromo.

eating your crew.
Jul 5, 2009 12:01 PM

Feb 2009
'Gay' as a put down doesn't really harm those of the homosexual community. The only person harmed, is the person using the term.

You might as well accept it, that those of us 20 and older, see anyone using the term 'gay' as a put down, as no better than a grade 3 mind.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Jul 5, 2009 12:25 PM

Jun 2009
Sukunai said:
'Gay' as a put down doesn't really harm those of the homosexual community. The only person harmed, is the person using the term.

You might as well accept it, that those of us 20 and older, see anyone using the term 'gay' as a put down, as no better than a grade 3 mind.

thats gay :P
Jul 5, 2009 12:59 PM

Jun 2009
Sukunai said:

faggot

that is right I called you a faggot

what are you gonna do about it huh?
Jul 5, 2009 12:59 PM

Apr 2009
This thread is gay
Jul 5, 2009 1:10 PM

Jun 2009
Kagura_Mai_Waifu said:
This thread is gay

aww damn i was gonna say that but i thought it would be GAY
Jul 5, 2009 3:35 PM

Dec 2008
Gunther15 said:
yes,yes, disagree, yes
Jul 5, 2009 3:39 PM

Jul 2007
Kagura_Mai_Waifu said:
This thread is gay
All the mods fucking blow on this website except Kaiserpingvin, Cloudy-Sky, Baman and aero. PM me if you're actually good and I left you out.

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.