Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 3, 2009 6:27 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It seem like Eren is dead or are she alive? But I feel like Reiji is alive

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jun 3, 2009 8:32 PM

Oct 2008
The whole scene with him stalking scythe for the longest time just looking at him made me scowl. Totally unrealistic and easily readable what it was going to lead to. Otherwise a good episode though.
Jun 3, 2009 9:19 PM
Mar 2009
I get the feeling they're both alive.
Jun 3, 2009 10:22 PM

May 2008
Scythe is so wimpy sigh

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jun 3, 2009 11:12 PM

Apr 2009
About the only thing I liked about this episode was just the fact that it was in The San Francisco Bay Area!!! And they didn't even kill the Scythe master! What the hell!
Jun 4, 2009 12:33 AM

Apr 2008
Scythe survive by luck xD LUCk i tell u !!!

Jun 4, 2009 12:44 AM

Aug 2007
baka
Jun 4, 2009 12:54 AM
Oct 2007
;_________________________________;
Jun 4, 2009 6:33 AM

Dec 2008
WTF! -.-"
Jun 4, 2009 7:44 AM

Apr 2009
i liked the expression on Zwei's face. He should've kill Sycthe at first from range but he followed him like a zombie. For a moment i thought he is gonna bite him LoL. He did another mistake and this time he may lose Eren forever... I Hope she is alive :((

Rule number 1: Dont play with your prey.
SatoujiJun 4, 2009 7:52 AM
Jun 4, 2009 7:49 AM

Sep 2008
Obviously that guy learned nothing from the movies. You play, you die.
But I doubt he is really dead, I think both of them survived, however, there is possibility of amnesia or something like that. That would make it more cliché, however, great show. Even though this episode was full of action it still had emotional moments and great ending.
Wonder where this is all going. Also, am I the only one thinking that Claudia actually cares about Zwei/Reiji?
Jun 4, 2009 8:59 AM

Aug 2008
'An interesting outcome.'
Jun 4, 2009 9:30 AM
Dec 2007
Good episode, but Zwei's stalking was a bit much. I do feel that Zwei is definitely still alive, though I do feel that Ein is gone for good. Can't wait for the next episode, though. Should be interesting.
Jun 4, 2009 9:32 AM
May 2008
The ending with Reiji stalking Scythe was so bad and was so easily readable... mainly the outcome of Eren getting shot in place of Scythe. Hopefully they're both alive, because if a main character had to die eventually it would be better later than than this soon. However this episode had plenty of action so that was kind of a nice change. 7/10 episode
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jun 4, 2009 10:12 AM

May 2008
Epic episode is epic.

Zwei looked so effing psycho xD That was AWESOME. Though I was kinda like "WTF." when Ein stood in for Scythe the pussy. I hope she isn't dead, but I had a feeling something bad would happen to her in this ep .-. And Zwei got shot like what...4-5 times? And he's obviously gonna survive..

Jun 4, 2009 10:17 AM

Jan 2009
I dont know why everyone thinks this episode was so readable, I think it was a very well done plot twist and enjoyed it thoroughly. I never expected Eren to get shot/"killed presumably" by Zwei and think this is one of the best ep's of the series so far.
Jun 4, 2009 10:44 AM

Jul 2008
Ximinez said:

indeed =D

from wat i saw it looks like Renji still alive and Eren is possbile dead? i mean like she was shot by the heart, Renji i think was only shot on the upper left above the heart based on the shots i seen and the wound/bleeding when he was
Jun 4, 2009 10:45 AM

Jan 2008
I liked it. If they decided to cancel and end it off right here then it'd make a pretty decent Romeo & Juliet-esque tragedy. Although it'd suck if they did.

Also, Funimation epic fails for mistranslating a simple English name; Ein's new given name "Eren" should be "Elen" or "Ellen"...otherwise it'd sound like a dude's name "Aaron". So much for their professional subtitles as they claim. And no, I'm not supporter of Engrish...which makes it worse if it's English (western) people doing it.

Edit: When I say English, I meant western; as Elen comes from Elena: Helen, of Greek origin.

Estoy_GordoJun 20, 2009 9:16 PM
Jun 4, 2009 12:08 PM

Mar 2009
I hope Eren died and Reij is alive so he can take his Revenge later.
Jun 4, 2009 12:47 PM

Aug 2008
Ah well, Phantom, that's what you get for letting success go to your head. You think you're invincible, then you start to play with your prey.

-–—–-–—–-–—–-–—–-–—–-–—–-–—–-–—–-–—–-–—–-

Of course Eren/Ein didn't die, and neither did Reiji/Zwei. It'll be the ancient story along the lines of twins separated by a calamity at birth, and raised completely differently. Zwei will return to assassination with a vengeance, and become cold and ruthless. Eren/Ein will wash up on a different shore, and be found and brought up by some kind folks. She will probably have lost her memory, to boot. She'll become a sweet little girl that wouldn't hurt a fly, and probably given a third name, which will likely also begin with 'E/え/エ.' Eventually the two will meet again, and much angst and lulz will ensue.

I felt like John Su writing that.
脱ぎません!_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Jun 4, 2009 1:56 PM

Aug 2008
4kicks said:
I liked it. If they decided to cancel and end it off right here then it'd make a pretty decent Romeo & Juliet-esque tragedy. Although it'd suck if they did.

Also, Funimation epic fails for mistranslating a simple English name; Ein's new given name "Eren" should be "Elen" or "Ellen"...otherwise it'd sound like a dude's name "Aaron". So much for their professional subtitles as they claim. And no, I'm not supporter of Engrish...which makes it worse if it's English (western) people doing it.

So it's impossible that the alternate spelling of her name is Erin?

Besides that, I agree with what you said. This as an ending would have made me bump up the score a bit since it did surprise me (even though Reiji was grossly acting out of character). The orchestral music seemed almost like a ripoff of Himitsu: The Revelation. I wonder if the same guy does both. Another thing that bothered me is that I'm supposed to accept that Reiji and Eren got shot at such a close range (Reiji 4 or 5 times), fell into the bay, and washed up along the shore not dead? That's really pushing it.
Jun 4, 2009 2:32 PM

May 2009
I loved the whole Reiji chasing Sythe scene... epic!
He reminded me a lot of Hollow Ichigo (bleach) and Lelouch
I don't see how it would be possible for reiji to be alive even though it looks like he is

Jun 4, 2009 2:40 PM

Jan 2008
Ximinez said:

and it's a very good one... i love this ep. Just a beautifull one! How Reiji was when we was going to kill Sycthe and in the end "killed" the most important person in his life... the scene, it was the best I ever saw in this year xD

Jun 4, 2009 3:15 PM

Jan 2009
Yeah, awesome episode.

Reiji killed Eren. Well it's not his fault. She jumped on bullet to protect Scythe. But man, Reiji was really crazy in this episode or rather to say he turn on his psycho mode. And it obvious that is Reiji alive ---------> prove preview.

4kicks said:

It's not Funimation problem that most of Japanese can't spell "L" correctly.
TadloSJun 4, 2009 3:19 PM
Jun 4, 2009 4:32 PM

Aug 2007
I am 100% sure Ellen ist dead. It would be pretty lame if that weren't the case since he shot her in the hearth. Besides that, now that Eins/Ellen ist dead there is a base for good character developement for Reiji IMO.
One of the best episodes so far, now I really want to see the next one.
Jun 4, 2009 5:46 PM

Sep 2008
Ray-Kun said:
I get the feeling they're both alive.

I hope so...I feel Reiji is still alive but I'm hoping Eren is as well.

Jun 4, 2009 7:44 PM
Mar 2008
Lesson learned: Don't play with your food.

Reiji's definitely alive >=(
and so is Eren
SHE HAS TO BE ALIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Jun 4, 2009 7:45 PM

Feb 2008
I....really disliked this episode.
Jun 4, 2009 10:16 PM

Jan 2009
What the fuck just happened? Now i see why the show is called "Requiem". Well, i like where this show is going on. Now we r going to see a Deadly, bloody and powerfull Zwei.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Jun 4, 2009 11:52 PM

Feb 2008
Scythe can not even shoot a guns correctly like Eren & Reiji. His survive instinct is incredible so Reiji is going to survive, but I doubt Eren will survive. He probably lose his memories as Reiji and turn back to Zwei, only recap show in the ending.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jun 5, 2009 12:38 AM

Aug 2008
lmao...Zwei was like a boogie man going after Scythe...
No man fails if he does his best
- Orison Swett Marden
Jun 5, 2009 1:51 AM

Feb 2009
Ellen definitely is alive. I wont spoil more. :P
Jun 5, 2009 3:02 AM

Apr 2009
Epic episode indeed. Reji went off the deep end.lol. The Reji/Scythe hunt scene was very well done. Loved it, i was hoping Reji would get to kill him but realized what was about to happen. Can't wait for next week.
Jun 5, 2009 7:18 AM

Apr 2009
JadeMatrix said:
Ah well, Phantom, that's what you get for letting success go to your head. You think you're invincible, then you start to play with your prey.

Thats pretty much the same as I thought, Reiji became too confident and relished stalking Scythe like a psycho. Elen ended up paying for it with her confused loyalty. The death of one of the main characters was quite predictable, but I love the way they dealt with it. Really nice. I guess from now on its down the road to hell for Reiji. I cant wait to see how Scythe is going to die.
Jun 5, 2009 8:20 AM
Mar 2009
noooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

she's alive?! :O i bloody hope so, it cant be the end already :(
Jun 5, 2009 9:38 AM

Mar 2008
Wow, that was a good episode, I could have predicted him mistakingly killing Ein, that's cliche, but him getting shot aswell surprised me. I thought he'd go berserk on Scythe, kill him, be emo the next 4 episodes, then get it all together when he finds his next (Erren-lookalike) (love) interest whom he needs to protect.

Well I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

MAL list updates
Jun 5, 2009 9:57 AM

Oct 2008
Epic episode is epic.
Jun 5, 2009 11:42 AM

Oct 2008
:O
Jun 5, 2009 1:17 PM
Dec 2007
This episode was a bit absurd from a scenaristic point of view I must say and the direction was horrible. There's approximately a 100% chance of Reiji surviving and 80% of Ein surviving, so there is no point to this episode since we all know it and the dramatization was misplaced. Unless Ein really died, which would then be a really interesting development.

Oh and that too:

noteDhero said:
Another thing that bothered me is that I'm supposed to accept that Reiji and Eren got shot at such a close range (Reiji 4 or 5 times), fell into the bay, and washed up along the shore not dead? That's really pushing it.

Ein was shot in the heart and Zwei 4 or 5 times in the chest, so even if it isn't supposed to be a realistic animes, I'm a bit skeptical about the physics of the series.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jun 5, 2009 1:36 PM

May 2008
The extended metaphor for Zwei as a phantom (after the initial "speed wake") was overindulgent, the lack of shooting during Zwei's stalking of Scythe was more than a bit absurd, some of the fluctuations in his personality were a bit puzzling, and the survivability of those gunshot wounds is more than suspect (though here I take least issue). Overall, I feel like this episode was way over-directed; the story was (is) excellent and the dialogue was solid, but the presentation was borderline "trying too hard." It would have been as pleasurable and much more "believable" if a more subtle hand was exercised. I enjoyed the episode immensely -- don't get me wrong -- but it was unfortunately on the guilty side of the spectrum for me.

The preview for next week made me smile real big though.
chicanerousJun 5, 2009 2:06 PM
Jun 5, 2009 1:39 PM

Apr 2009
noteDhero said:
Another thing that bothered me is that I'm supposed to accept that Reiji and Eren got shot at such a close range (Reiji 4 or 5 times), fell into the bay, and washed up along the shore not dead? That's really pushing it.

That's not the only forced thing in here, there are many others (a bit too many, on my book). The one that stands out the most: when Reiji spots the sniper and Lizzie takes it down, she connects (let's say) in 3 to 4 shots. Wow, she must be really a great shooter to take down a target so far and high! About 10 minutes later she misses a target WAY closer and on the same height (Scythe). This show sacrifices a lot of realism and coherence just to fit dramatically hollywoodish scenes.

Other than that, I must say this is the first episode I enjoyed: I'm happy I endured it as far as now. There was action, good character development (different from the linear and predictable growth of any character in the episodes so far) and some not-so-bad direction, although the animation looked a bit below the show average to me.
I'm starting to wonder whether those fast-movements/wakes Reiji/Elen leave when they move is a scenic effect or some kind of hidden power, maybe a consequence of some Scythe's experiment on human weapons. Elen (I'll stick to the "L" variant, it sounds better to me) and Reiji seem to use it unconsciously and when in deep concentration/highly emotional moments; the last example is killing Scythe and (durr!) saving'ìs Scythe's life: although we can't see the wake in the animations, I think she used the same kind of "super speed" to get there in time, without Reiji not noticing her.

In the end, I liked the episode, it might improve its score if it keeps up (or improves) the quality of this episode, animation included.

Sorry for the long post, most of the time I'm not so talkative, it must be the good feel the ep gave to me. :P

edit:
chicanerous said:
The preview for next week made me smile real big though.

Am I the only one who does not watch previews? I like to approach to an episode completely unknown to me... :\
DesirioJun 5, 2009 1:42 PM
Jun 5, 2009 2:15 PM

May 2008
Desirio said:
This show sacrifices a lot of realism and coherence just to fit dramatically hollywoodish scenes.

This pretty much sums it up my critique of the show. It's operating well on most of the other levels, but here is where it's stumbling. It's not bad and it's certainly far from un-entertaining, but, IMO, it has a tendency to move toward "guilty pleasure" territory because of these moves.

Desirio said:
Am I the only one who does not watch previews? I like to approach to an episode completely unknown to me... :

I'm less into media for surprise as I am story and execution, so watching a preview isn't a big deal to me. It also gets me more excited because, over the interim week, I have something concrete to base my imagining of what happens next. The only time I don't watch previews is if they err on the side of summary rather than foreshadowing of the next episode. Alternatively, I don't watch when an episode explicitly or effectively ends "To be continued..." i.e. without the degree of resolution normal to episodic, albeit arc-based, series at large.
chicanerousJun 5, 2009 9:25 PM
Jun 5, 2009 2:42 PM

Apr 2009
chicanerous said:
I'm less into media for surprise as I am story and execution, so watching a preview isn't a big deal to me. It also gets me more excited because, over the interim week, I have something concrete to base my imagining of what happens next. The only time I don't watch previews is if they err on the side of summary rather than foreshadowing of the next episode. Alternatively, I don't watch when an episode explicitly or effectively ends "To be continued..." i.e. without the degree of resolution normal to episodic, albeit arc-based, series at large.

I see your point and understand it, but I like the feel of the "closed book". When you put a book on a shelf, you can't actually get a glimpse on what's next: you have to wait, you hang there waiting fo the next part. I know, this is not the same thing at all (I know people who never watch ongoing shows, they just wait for it to end just because they can't stand pauses where they'd like to go on), but I like the "wait there, I'll show you" feel. I think it helps some kinds of series to keep up, just look at the turmoil caused by Higashi no Eden. :)
Jun 5, 2009 5:58 PM

Sep 2007
Desirio said:
Am I the only one who does not watch previews? I like to approach to an episode completely unknown to me... :
I tend not to usually....but sometimes curiosity gets the better of me o_o

*ahem* anyhow...really liked this episode! Had my eyes glued to the screen er..bulging...and all that...all the way!
I really liked how Reiji went into psycho mode...but I can understand about how some people were going "SHOOT ALREADY!!"

And though the part with them falling into the water after getting shot and all is a very cliche thing...I can't think of a better way they could've done that part =p
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Jun 5, 2009 6:52 PM

Apr 2009
wtf was that shit. Seriously, wth were the writers thinking.
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
Jun 5, 2009 9:12 PM

Dec 2008
Desirio said:
The one that stands out the most: when Reiji spots the sniper and Lizzie takes it down, she connects (let's say) in 3 to 4 shots. Wow, she must be really a great shooter to take down a target so far and high! About 10 minutes later she misses a target WAY closer and on the same height (Scythe). This show sacrifices a lot of realism and coherence just to fit dramatically hollywoodish scenes.

I thought the same thing! I'm pretty sure I nearly shouted, "HOW DID YOU MISS HIM?! HE WAS RIGHT THERE!" at my computer while I watched that scene. Lizzie had the additional advantage of the surprise attack - not even Zwei seemed to know she was there, much less Scythe.

Zwei going all psycho on Scythe was nicely done but seemed a little...off...even for him. It just seemed to come out of nowhere and I was not expecting it at all. I don't know if that was a good or bad unexpected thing - I'm still trying to decide.

As for the other unrealistic things that people have already mentioned, I'll hold my judgment for now until we get to see Zwei's and Ein's fates. Still, both of them suffered some major injuries so if they still manage to survive after all that...I will be ready to scream, probably (my logical/nursing student side of me will probably find lots to complain about...but we'll see what happens).

Otherwise, it was a good episode, perhaps not the best but better than most of the others ^^;
Jun 6, 2009 12:30 AM

May 2008
The whole scene with him stalking scythe for the longest time just looking at him made me scowl. Totally unrealistic and easily readable what it was going to lead to. Otherwise a good episode though.

good episode
Jun 6, 2009 4:38 AM

Nov 2008
What an episode.. I really hope that Elen is alive, I want her to smile. xD

But another 16 episodes to come, I'm really curious about what will come next.
Jun 6, 2009 9:02 AM
Oct 2008
Traveller said:
I hope Eren died and Reij is alive so he can take his Revenge later.

that would be interesting, we need to see Reiji's psycho face one more time, but I want my Reiji x Elen ending
Jun 6, 2009 11:12 AM

Jan 2009
Falatorx said:
The whole scene with him stalking scythe for the longest time just looking at him made me scowl. Totally unrealistic and easily readable what it was going to lead to.

It was so lame! I didn't expect anything like that from this great show >_>" Really, wtf? Zwei doesn't shoot Scuythe instantly but stalks him like a zombie for some time resulting in death of both Ein and Zwei.

And now maybe they'll resurrect after both being shot in the heart?! I mean really... This was one of my favourite shows so far, but I really don't know what to think about it now... Let's see what happens next, though
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Sep 24, 2009

631 by _RushBee_ »»
May 4, 4:17 PM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nayrael - Aug 13, 2009

272 by TankerNejla »»
Apr 29, 9:01 AM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jul 16, 2009

145 by defaulticus »»
Mar 23, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Phantom Requiem for the Phantom Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Mikiyo - Apr 3, 2009

171 by defaulticus »»
Mar 17, 3:51 PM

» Phantom: Requiem for the phantom. Visual Novel endings.

Jimmy2233 - Sep 26, 2013

5 by ALCYON3US »»
Feb 9, 12:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.