4, Bakuman, vol 3
5, Fullmetal Alchemist, vol 24
6, Hetalia Axis Powers, vol 2
7,D.Gray-man, vol 20
8, Vampire Knight, vol 11
9. Hetalia Axis Powers, vol 1
10. One Piece, vol 56

Source: NY Times Manga Best Seller List
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Feb 20, 2011 2:12 AM
Dec 2009
Previous week rankings:
Feb 20, 2011 2:34 AM

May 2009
Most of them are shounens? Some of them are fapping material of screamo girls? Didn't judge that even one bit...
Americans didn't surprise me at all... they should start to buy some more serious mangas or they will fail in this domain too, as everyone is aware of that fact if it comes to Americans.
ShweleFeb 20, 2011 2:42 AM
Feb 20, 2011 2:39 AM

Mar 2009
Naruto's still #1...
Feb 20, 2011 2:40 AM
Dec 2008
same as the last time i checked.
Feb 20, 2011 2:47 AM
Jun 2009
how the hell can naruto be 1.. ridiculous
Feb 20, 2011 6:07 AM

Aug 2009
This list never really changes all that much...
Feb 20, 2011 6:29 AM

Jun 2010
thee list didn't change that much..
Feb 20, 2011 7:34 AM

Mar 2008
Shwele said:
Most of them are shounens? Some of them are fapping material of screamo girls? Didn't judge that even one bit...
Americans didn't surprise me at all... they should start to buy some more serious mangas or they will fail in this domain too, as everyone is aware of that fact if it comes to Americans.

Yes, because all Americans are stupid. -_- And serious manga does sell well here, but not well enough to get on the top ten list.

I'm surprised One Piece is actually selling so well! I thought it's popularity would be hampered from it's butchered airing on 4kids, but I was wrong, apparently.
SidewalkSteveFeb 20, 2011 7:39 AM
Nothing
Feb 20, 2011 9:48 AM

Jul 2007
roflshanks said:
how the hell can naruto be 1.. ridiculous

The laws of human society and overall cultural trends indicate that the most overrated, generic and boring stuff will always get the top spot in any sort of top list/.

Cue twilight. Cue metallica. cue naruto.

----------------

Anyway, apart from D.Gray-Man and FMA, which are awesome and I am actually surprised they are that high, generic list is generic..
Feb 20, 2011 10:24 AM

Apr 2009
Fai said:
roflshanks said:
h apart from D.Gray-Man [...], which are awesome and I am actually surprised they are that high, generic list is generic..

You just refuted your own point with that.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Feb 20, 2011 10:48 AM

Aug 2010
all of the series from last week are on here and there is nothing new...
Feb 20, 2011 11:12 AM

Dec 2009
Why is everyone so angry with Americans ? It's their money after all , they can choose what to spend it on , besides , if they don't appear on the list that doesn't mean other manga's aren't selling at all..
Also, I'm not American but I really think the phase
all Americans are stupid.

should be changed to " most Americans are stupid. " since:
1. nobody is perfect
2. while , at least from my point of view , Japanese proved to be much better , Americans have their own merits . ( After all , Bill Gates is one of the reasons this forum exists.. )
3. cultural differences are fact , and there aren't that many open minded readers ready to accept another person's artistic point of view that easily ...
Feb 20, 2011 11:40 AM
Jul 2018
do some of you people honestly expect the non-mainstream series to beat out the mainstream ones. thats never gonna happen even if the mainstream is generally shit they are still the mainstream....
Feb 20, 2011 11:56 AM

Jun 2010
Hopefully there will be a Hetalia vol. 3 to take yet another spot on the charts. :D
Feb 20, 2011 3:47 PM
Aug 2010
So glad to see Kuroshitsuji hanging in there =:)
"To define is to limit."
--Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Feb 20, 2011 4:30 PM
Mar 2010
#1 Naruto...why am I not surprised...
Feb 20, 2011 6:06 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
Here's to hoping Bakuman stays in the top ten for a while.
Feb 20, 2011 7:23 PM
Oct 2009
ITT: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitle6cd1cskka05i

Smile, Sweet, Sister, Sadistic, Surprise, Service, Slider
Feb 20, 2011 7:43 PM

Sep 2009
I have to question which is the stupider.

The people thinking Americans are dumb.
Or the people who buy what they like because they like it because it's something they enjoy.

Hint: The answer is damn obvious.

===
FMA24 is still on there.
-whistles-

Pfffffft!
So friggen true.
Feb 20, 2011 7:53 PM
Mar 2009
Oh Bakuman vol 3 is out now? Perfect timing.. i needed an excuse to head to the mall area besides new pants.
Feb 21, 2011 1:37 AM

Apr 2009

Nope, FMA and One Piece are the only series that aren't generic and/ord bad for me. Face it:
Naruto jumped the shark long ago, around chapter 200 if you ask me. Anyone who still thinks this is good should check his eyes.
Black Bird, only skimmed through the first chapter. Looked like a generic Shoujo to me.
Kuroshitsuji, dropped after episode 1. Come back at me when it actually starts getting interesting.
Bakuman, nice concept, boring execution. Death Note sucked after the first half, too, so I doubt they can write a good ending.
Hetalia Axis Powers, anime was fun for the first episodes. However, the manga is pure homolust.
D.Gray-man, dark edgy gothic setting nr.3572? Lol no, I'm not 14 anymore...
Vampire Knight, come on. This doesn't even need a reason.

NidhoeggrFeb 21, 2011 1:46 AM
Feb 21, 2011 7:31 AM

Apr 2009
Nidhoeggr said:

Nope, FMA and One Piece are the only series that aren't generic and/ord bad

quoted for truth.. the only shounens that didn't disappoint

should also read Toriko.. since its been recommended by more people
Feb 21, 2011 8:29 AM

Apr 2008
I won't talk or question about stupud people. Naruto's the new DBZ *shrugs*

Hooray for D.Gray.
Feb 21, 2011 9:03 AM

Sep 2009
Nidhoeggr said:

Nope, FMA and One Piece are the only series that aren't generic and/ord bad for me. Face it:
Naruto jumped the shark long ago, around chapter 200 if you ask me. Anyone who still thinks this is good should check his eyes.
Black Bird, only skimmed through the first chapter. Looked like a generic Shoujo to me.
Kuroshitsuji, dropped after episode 1. Come back at me when it actually starts getting interesting.
Bakuman, nice concept, boring execution. Death Note sucked after the first half, too, so I doubt they can write a good ending.
Hetalia Axis Powers, anime was fun for the first episodes. However, the manga is pure homolust.

Is funny that half the reasons you gave for not liking stuff are explained in that Trope you quoted...
:lolololol:
Feb 21, 2011 11:28 AM
Oct 2009
Sabinlerose said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Is funny that half the reasons you gave for not liking stuff are explained in that Trope you quoted...

stupid people are amusing after all

Feb 21, 2011 11:28 AM
Oct 2009
Sabinlerose said:
Nidhoeggr said:

stupid people are amusing after all

edit: curse you double posting!!!!

Feb 22, 2011 4:09 AM

Apr 2009
Sabinlerose said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Should I write a whole essay about each contradiction I found in those franchises? It is bad not because it's popular, it's bad because story-telling wise those stories are garbage. I actually like a lot of popular stuff and think a series deserves to be popular when it's good, but simply reducing my criticism to "lol, he just ahtes it because it's popular XD" is stupid and does not contribute ANYTHING to a discussion. It's one of those dead end arguments people choose when they are too stupid to formulate their own opinion/can't endure criticism. So please, stop being such a fucking fanboy.

Also, being popular equals having a a greater fanbase which equals facing greater criticism as the propability of of people rises who aren't just complete fanboys of a certain series. After all, the only people who would read a rather unknown, mediocre title for a genre are fans of exact the same genre so it's naturally that those people won't criticize this series as much as "outsiders".
NidhoeggrFeb 22, 2011 4:26 AM
Feb 22, 2011 5:03 AM

Nov 2008
naruto , d.gray man and one piece still doing well i c
Feb 22, 2011 2:39 PM

Sep 2009
Drama Llama + Strawmen = Fun times for all.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Apr 25

9 by Playcool »»
2 hours ago

» 'Arknights: Rise From Ember' TV Anime Announced

DatRandomDude - 4 hours ago

4 by Yona_Runcandel »»
3 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

7 by EcchiGodMamster »»
5 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

17 by RobertBobert »»
5 hours ago

» 'Overlord: Sei Oukoku-hen' Movie Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer, Fall 2024 Premiere

Doshigatai - Mar 22

5 by Entity72 »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.