Forum Settings
Forums

What is your favorite lesser known idol themed anime or manga?

New
Apr 11, 2022 5:25 PM
Dec 2017
So like a bolt from the blue its time for a threadview!!!

Today lets bout idol anime and manga but fuck it lets also fucking add lesser known stuff as well as that’s what the fuck todays topic is all bout.

I admit, despite me being a huge morning musume fan and also vocaloid fan since elementary school like miku,kagamine,meiko,kaito and gumi to name a few. I haven’t really seen that much stuff related to idol culture and the one I think lot of people really know the best is Perfect Blue by Satoshi Kon.

I’m going to use these ones which was rec’d by one of my close friends Fario and Creamy Mami I don’t think a good mount of ppl kno bout but at least on here or wherever else I may shitepost but fuck it I'll go wit that as my choice 4 the thread.

Creamy Mamy

The show which Pierrot worked on, is one part magical girl and another part idol as the main character 10 year old Yuu Morisawa has to like balance saving the world and being an multi talent idol (Albeit by accident). Concept storywise see, Sailor Moon was not and is not the first cosmic themed magical girl anime or manga set in space. Was even voice by an actual popular idol during the 80s as well too Takako Ota who was pretty new to voice acting round that time.

The op as well was Takako Ota’s debut single as well too perfect coincidence.

Also another thing bout the series is that, this is the oni-sama of “media mix” for Japanese entertainment stuff like games,manga,anime,novels,cds whatever sells really.

The series also has a quite distinct art style done by Akemi Takada who has also worked on Fancy q,Ursuei Yatsura,Alpen Rose and Twlight Q.

So this is just one example i got.

And oh wait, you thought I was done? What da fuck nuuuuuuuuu I got another 1 2 share as well 2.

Full Moon

Full Moon Wagashite, time to talk about another shoujo that sadly hasn’t had a reboot yet along with Ouran Host Club even tho, Fruba did really well. Also another series that took from the media mix concept that Creamy Mami help innovate. This series was created from Arina Tanemura’s love of idols and its something you’ll also see as well in other series she’s worked on like Idolish7 for example. Along with turning girls into their inner fantasies as well too and what would they do 4 them.

Don't worry its not just all about lovey dovey romance I can assure you this. And the concept of second chances is all but lost now these days it seems as the anime does focus quite a bit on second chances for the soon to be deceased.

Now the plot dealt with things outside of the idol life, with things such as living with terminal illness trying to achieve your goals in spite of the obstacles a head o you as the main character has only like 1 year to live and is desperate to achieve her dreams and is dertimned to do so even with only 1 year to live from Sacroma and is not going to let her voice be taken away from it, and how importance life really is and also its death stuff like the shinigamis and terminal illness

Both series deals with the trials and tribulations of idols so no, its not just Perfect Blue that deals with that stuff. And ye, the animation may not look exactly the best but fuck it, I rather story first and focus on prettying it up later on.

Overall these stories are pretty cool stuff imo and should be given a watch.

Now what bout u guyz? Got a lesser known idol themed anime or manga you wanna share and signal boozt? Go right ahead and share your thoughts!

Apr 11, 2022 5:49 PM

Jul 2021
Does Back Street Girls Gokudolls count? It's lesser known for sure, and technically has idols. Technically. That needs to be emphasized.
Apr 11, 2022 5:50 PM
Dec 2017
JaniSIr said:
Does Back Street Girls Gokudolls count? It's lesser known for sure, and technically has idols. Technically. That needs to be emphasized.

Well now that is an interseting choice to pick and you're the only so far talking about it so lets go with that.

Apr 11, 2022 6:02 PM

Jul 2021
Crow_Black said:
JaniSIr said:

Well now that is an interseting choice to pick and you're the only so far talking about it so lets go with that.

I mean, besides Perfect Blue that was the only thing I watched with idols.

Anyway, the show is funny, if cruel humor is your thing.
The animation sucks, but it grew on me.
And while I didn't watch proper idol shows, I have a hunch that the usual idol cliches are missing entirely.

Great show, highly recommended.

Sep 2008
Lesser known? Key the Metal Idol comes to mind for this.
Dec 2017
JaniSIr said:
Crow_Black said:

I mean, besides Perfect Blue that was the only thing I watched with idols.

Anyway, the show is funny, if cruel humor is your thing.
The animation sucks, but it grew on me.
And while I didn't watch proper idol shows, I have a hunch that the usual idol cliches are missing entirely.

Great show, highly recommended.

I already seen Gokudolls but i should rewatch it thanx for the rec.

Apr 11, 2022 6:04 PM
Mar 2022
I don't watch Idol Animes because i'm not a weirdo (I'm joking)
Apr 11, 2022 6:11 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan
Dropout Idol Fruit Tart
Lovely idol
Pastel Yumi the Magic Idol
Devidols

My favourite is Zombieland saga... For me Nothing comes close to topping that in the idol genre

But nobody beats her in popularity

Honourable mention yoko-chan from detective Conan.. kogoro is a mad fan..
ryo-sanApr 11, 2022 6:23 PM

Apr 11, 2022 6:34 PM
Dec 2017
ggultra2764 said:

Ey!!! nice to see some Key The Metal idol love up in here!! i love it mainly cause the xenogears artist worked on it.

Apr 11, 2022 6:50 PM
Dec 2017
ryo-san said:
If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan
Dropout Idol Fruit Tart
Lovely idol
Pastel Yumi the Magic Idol
Devidols

My favourite is Zombieland saga... For me Nothing comes close to topping that in the idol genre

But nobody beats her in popularity

Honourable mention yoko-chan from detective Conan.. kogoro is a mad fan..

I hadn't seen those yet but maybe i will soon

Apr 11, 2022 7:59 PM

Feb 2016
I actually don't like Love Live or Idolm@ster, the most popular idol anime aimed at adults. My favorite is Wake Up Girls.
その目だれの目?
Apr 11, 2022 8:00 PM
Dec 2017
Lucifrost said:
I actually don't like Love Live or Idolm@ster, the most popular idol anime aimed at adults. My favorite is Wake Up Girls.

Wake Up Girls lol yeah i heard about it mainly from the director whos a dickhead i hear

Apr 11, 2022 8:03 PM

Feb 2016
I heard that too, but I think he's pretty good at directing. He also made the underrated Hakubo.
その目だれの目?
Apr 11, 2022 8:04 PM
Dec 2017
Lucifrost said:
I heard that too, but I think he's pretty good at directing. He also made the underrated Hakubo.

Hakubo i still have yet to see may give it a go soon

Apr 12, 2022 5:42 AM

Feb 2018
Crow_Black said:
ggultra2764 said:

Ey!!! nice to see some Key The Metal idol love up in here!! i love it mainly cause the xenogears artist worked on it.

you might want to check out another of Kunihiko Tanaka's works,
-if you haven't already- "Ichigeki Sacchu!! HoiHoi-san"

Apr 12, 2022 5:46 AM
Dec 2017
MasterTasuke said:
Crow_Black said:

you might want to check out another of Kunihiko Tanaka's works,
-if you haven't already- "Ichigeki Sacchu!! HoiHoi-san"

I don't think i have yet but i'll give it a go.

Apr 12, 2022 5:55 AM

Feb 2020
- 22/7
- Ensemble Stars!
- Futsuu no Joshikousei ga [Locodol] Yattemita.
- I★Chu: Halfway Through the Idol
- Idol Memories
- Ongaku Shoujo (TV)
- Ochikobore Fruit Tart
- PriPara / Kiratto Pri☆chan
- Starmyu
- Tsukiuta. The Animation
Apr 12, 2022 6:02 AM
Dec 2017
Serafos said:
- 22/7
- Ensemble Stars!
- Futsuu no Joshikousei ga [Locodol] Yattemita.
- I★Chu: Halfway Through the Idol
- Idol Memories
- Ongaku Shoujo (TV)
- Ochikobore Fruit Tart
- PriPara / Kiratto Pri☆chan
- Starmyu
- Tsukiuta. The Animation

I still have yet to watchubt may soon watch them

Apr 12, 2022 6:12 AM

Apr 2019
I'm not a genre fan and haven't seen many. In my prejudiced view, many idol shows are just the PG-13 parts of the doujinshi and figure industry, harems without a harem lead sorted by fetish and target group. I may be wrong, because that so far prevented me from diving deeper into the genre.

Thus +1 for the more unconventional idol shows, where the theme is the background for psychological drama.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/122/Full_Moon_wo_Sagashite (8/10)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/43691/Kageki_Shoujo (7.5/10)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1457/Key_the_Metal_Idol (7/10)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/35503/Shoujo%E2%98%86Kageki_Revue_Starlight (7/10)

Apr 12, 2022 6:14 AM

Jun 2021
does 22/7 count? I'd like a lot to see the animated series second season but after half of the seiyuus parted ways with the management it's more and more improbable to receive one, and there's still the question if the girls without the original voices will be recast or written off, and this latter option would be honestly sad.
Apr 12, 2022 6:14 AM
Dec 2017
inim said:
I'm not a genre fan and haven't seen many. In my prejudiced view, many idol shows are just the PG-13 parts of the doujinshi and figure industry, harems without a harem lead sorted by fetish and target group. I may be wrong, because that so far prevented me from diving deeper into the genre.

Thus +1 for the more unconventional idol shows, where the theme is the background for psychological drama.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/35503/Shoujo%E2%98%86Kageki_Revue_Starlight (7/10)

These all look like solid picks good to see more full moon and key love here

Apr 12, 2022 6:21 AM

Apr 2019
Crow_Black said:
inim said:

Thanks! It's a bit of a stretch, but this just bubbled to my mind after posting ... if it qualifies, my highest rated idol anime.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/437/Perfect_Blue (10/10)

Apr 12, 2022 6:24 AM
Dec 2017
inim said:
Crow_Black said:
Thanks! It's a bit of a stretch, but this just bubbled to my mind after posting ... if it qualifies, my highest rated idol anime.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/437/Perfect_Blue (10/10)

Perfect Blue is a certifeid hood classic.

Apr 12, 2022 1:36 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Crow_Black said:
I’m going to use these ones which was rec’d by one of my close friends Fario and Creamy Mami I don’t think a good mount of ppl kno bout
...I still haven't watched past the first episode and yet I have like two pretty guide/fanbooks on it... don't kill me hahaha...

Full Moon [wo S]agashite, time to talk about another shoujo that sadly hasn’t had a reboot yet along with Ouran Host Club even tho, Fruba did really well.
the anime just turned 20 years old and looks more dated than ever, CAN SOMEONE PLEASE REBOOT THIS SERIES ALREADY?!

Now the plot dealt with things outside of the idol life, with things such as living with terminal illness trying to achieve your goals in spite of the obstacles a head o you as the main character has only like 1 year to live and is desperate to achieve her dreams and is dertimned to do so even with only 1 year to live from Sacroma and is not going to let her voice be taken away from it, and how importance life really is and also its death stuff like the shinigamis and terminal illness
...but yeah, things like this and the amazing music from the 2002 anime make Full Moon wo Sagashite my pick for this thread. The manga is even better with Arina Tanemura's beautiful art and more explicit themes and tragedy (still not sure if it's a 9 or a 10 even to this day lol), and I really do love all the Shinigami too. I'm not just saying that because a few things I love feature shinigami, but I mean these are good characters here.

Speaking of them though...

Thanks again for the awesome threads btw, you've really been hitting it out of the park lately!!
Apr 12, 2022 2:10 PM

Jul 2019
As far as I know the only idol anime I’ve ever watched is Pripara and even I myself don’t know how I did it,I mean it’s not even remotely close to anything I usually watch
Apr 12, 2022 2:25 PM

Dec 2018
Tbh more come to mind, but I think my favourite out of the batch is Oshibudo.
Apr 12, 2022 2:28 PM

Apr 2021
Lucifrost said:

of all the idol anime soundtracks I listen to Wake Up Girls! Is my favorite.
(7 senses is my favorite of their songs)

I’m planning on going through a bunch of idol anime over the summer. (I like to stick to one genera for a period of time) and that’s the first one I’m gonna watch.

Got my Blu-ray and CDs ready to go!
My poor signature was removed because it “took up too much space”
Apr 12, 2022 2:51 PM

Feb 2020
Not very experienced with the genre at all, but I'm watching a fun little parody anime called Nurse Witch Komugi-chan right now where the main character works as an idol.
Apr 12, 2022 3:05 PM
Dec 2017
Fario-P said:
Crow_Black said:
I’m going to use these ones which was rec’d by one of my close friends Fario and Creamy Mami I don’t think a good mount of ppl kno bout
...I still haven't watched past the first episode and yet I have like two pretty guide/fanbooks on it... don't kill me hahaha...

Full Moon [wo S]agashite, time to talk about another shoujo that sadly hasn’t had a reboot yet along with Ouran Host Club even tho, Fruba did really well.
the anime just turned 20 years old and looks more dated than ever, CAN SOMEONE PLEASE REBOOT THIS SERIES ALREADY?!

...but yeah, things like this and the amazing music from the 2002 anime make Full Moon wo Sagashite my pick for this thread. The manga is even better with Arina Tanemura's beautiful art and more explicit themes and tragedy (still not sure if it's a 9 or a 10 even to this day lol), and I really do love all the Shinigami too. I'm not just saying that because a few things I love feature shinigami, but I mean these are good characters here.

Speaking of them though...

Thanks again for the awesome threads btw, you've really been hitting it out of the park lately!!

Thanks a bunch for the correction as well as also, supporting the thread as well too!! And facts!! Shinigami are cool and also this visual kei stan buddy of ours @Metropyramid should read Full Moon as well too since we love bleach alot. As well as a certain game that me and you really love so much to high heaven as well too.

Defo finish on your currently watched stuff first before you do start on anything else.

Apr 12, 2022 3:29 PM
Dec 2017
mazuchi said:
Not very experienced with the genre at all, but I'm watching a fun little parody anime called Nurse Witch Komugi-chan right now where the main character works as an idol.

I hadn't seen or heard bout it today may give it a go.

Apr 12, 2022 3:34 PM

Feb 2020
Crow_Black said:
mazuchi said:

It's a spin-off of The SoulTaker which I could see you like quite a bit actually, so give that one a try first. It's also interesting for being one of Shinbou's pre-Shaft anime (he didn't direct Komugi-chan though).
Apr 12, 2022 3:35 PM

Feb 2016
NotTaiga7 said:
Lucifrost said:

of all the idol anime soundtracks I listen to Wake Up Girls! Is my favorite.
(7 senses is my favorite of their songs)

I’m planning on going through a bunch of idol anime over the summer. (I like to stick to one genera for a period of time) and that’s the first one I’m gonna watch.

Got my Blu-ray and CDs ready to go!

I don't know that song. Will you be watching Idoly Pride? I think their music is even better! I only prefer Wake Up Girls for the story.
その目だれの目?
Apr 12, 2022 4:14 PM
Dec 2017
mazuchi said:
Crow_Black said:

It's a spin-off of The SoulTaker which I could see you like quite a bit actually, so give that one a try first. It's also interesting for being one of Shinbou's pre-Shaft anime (he didn't direct Komugi-chan though).

Oh thanks a bunch for the reccomendation as well too.

Apr 12, 2022 5:04 PM
Dec 2017
Domsa said:
Tbh more come to mind, but I think my favourite out of the batch is Oshibudo.

I hadn't seen it yet but i may give it a go.

Apr 12, 2022 5:16 PM

May 2021
Mermaid Melody. I'm not sure if would call it idol-themed but it's those musical-themed anime so I guess it is?
I, honestly, can vibe to almost ALL of the songs in it. Either OP, ED, insert songs, which are a LOT because they have a lot insert songs. Gosh they sooo good~ Totally my type of music! (´▽`)

I mean, try to take a look at this!

𝑇𝐼𝑃𝑆 𝐼𝑁 𝐺𝐼𝑁𝑇𝐴𝑀𝐴
- NOT your usual shounen anime
- Pure comedy? DEAD WRONG
- Treat Gintama as SoL/weekly sitcom especially earlier seasons
- Ep 1 & 2 are for manga readers
- BIG patience for its 'slow' start

Apr 12, 2022 5:18 PM
Dec 2017
tinker3bellz1 said:
Mermaid Melody. I'm not sure if would call it idol-themed but it's those musical-themed anime so I guess it is?
I, honestly, can vibe to almost ALL of the songs in it. Either OP, ED, insert songs, which are a LOT because they have a lot insert songs. Gosh they sooo good~ Totally my type of music! (´▽`)

Fuck i've been meaning to look into this 4 a while now and maybe i'll give it a go since i've been fucking busy between intervals lately so maybe when my backlog eases down i'll give this a go.

Apr 12, 2022 9:30 PM
Jul 2018
Wandering Sun is a good series with an adult male character and music that is pure , not always sung behind a recording studio. It also takes elements from golden 60s cinema.

Apr 12, 2022 9:41 PM
Dec 2017
petran79 said:
Wandering Sun is a good series with an adult male character and music that is pure , not always sung behind a recording studio. It also takes elements from golden 60s cinema.

I may give it a go sometime in the future

Apr 18, 2022 2:40 PM
Dec 2017
JustOscar said:
Does Caligula count? Probably the only one I have watched.

Yeah it can count since it does have elements in it.

Sep 28, 2022 1:30 PM
Dec 2017
tinker3bellz1 said:

And a few months later and now that i've seen it, i found it pretty decent and cute. I can't even remember what happened now but i found it to be a pretty charming show.

Sep 30, 2022 12:57 PM

Nov 2008
I can say I started Full Moon, but got derailed by the botched (read: partial) DVD release from Viz way back in the day; I also saw enough "old-school" AMVs where I have a general idea of where the story goes.

*Fancy Lala (1998) :Spiritual successor to Creamy Mami and (I believe) the last of the Studio Pierrot idol anime shows. IMO I enjoyed it more than Creamy Mami.

*Chance Triangle Session (2001) :Three girls from different backgrounds brought together to form an idol unit, this one also explores a bit of the business side of the idol scene - demanding managers, rival groups, and the enigmatic "legendary" idol that everyone aspires to be.

*Some of the more recent idol shows that flew under the radar that I enjoyed include Cue (2022) and Idoly Pride (2021)

More topics from this board

» Would you delete one of your favourites, in exchange for another one of them getting a worthy sequel?

APolygons2 - Yesterday

16 by NubFix »»
47 seconds ago

» Name your two favorite anime from your 2 least favorite genres/themes, and two least favorite of your most favorite genres/themes

Daviljoe193 - Yesterday

23 by Zarutaku »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think 3-episode reviews are valid?

GoatPieceLuffy - 7 hours ago

29 by LoveYourEyes »»
9 minutes ago

» What does the Anime you watch say about you

ST63LTH - 4 hours ago

12 by Ratris_Decision »»
15 minutes ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together?

Oshieteoshiete4 - 12 hours ago

19 by Yuri-Crusader »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.