Forum Settings
Forums

Will the One Piece Anime ruin my experience with its terrible pacing?

New
Sep 22, 2019 2:54 AM
May 2019
I've decided to start One Piece. I need two questions to be answered in this Post:
-How much will the Anime ruin Once Piece for me if I just decided to watch only the Anime and not read the Manga?
-At which episode does the pacing of the Anime become unbearable? I want to move on to the Manga as late as possible.
Sep 22, 2019 3:53 AM

May 2018
You see the One Piece project is uneven one. The pacing isn't its only problem. Like in the beginning the animation is really trashy, later it gets way better, later devolves again ect.

But the anime has some unique traits that you can't found in the manga - like the incredible voice actors and the music.
For me surrealistic arcs like Thriller Bark and Impel Down should be obligatory consumed also in animated form.

About the pacing - for me it became unbearable inside the Dressrosa arc so I dropped the anime at episode 724.
Sep 22, 2019 4:06 AM

Jan 2019
I recommend you to watch the anime until the marineford arc, and then switching to the manga, because after that the animation is just a joke

Sep 22, 2019 4:51 AM

Apr 2018
Later on, the pacing of the manga becomes pretty bad too imo.
If ur more of an anime guy, I'd say u can stick to the anime for the whole thing, since the pacing will be an issue regardless of which media u'll consume OP in. Just skip the fillers.
vhagar8Sep 22, 2019 6:42 AM
Sep 22, 2019 5:29 AM
Jul 2018
Better watch Takarajima (Treasure Island) first
Sep 22, 2019 5:33 AM

May 2014
alshu said:
You see the One Piece project is uneven one. The pacing isn't its only problem. Like in the beginning the animation is really trashy, later it gets way better, later devolves again ect.

But the anime has some unique traits that you can't found in the manga - like the incredible voice actors and the music.
For me surrealistic arcs like Thriller Bark and Impel Down should be obligatory consumed also in animated form.

About the pacing - for me it became unbearable inside the Dressrosa arc so I dropped the anime at episode 724.

Funny enough i think the early animation is much better than when they added that shine to everyone, making them look like they're always covered in oil lol.

I stopped the anime at episode 275. That last arc was starting to slow things down a lot. I really recommend reading the manga. Even when the anime does a good job, the manga is so much better and i'm more of an anime gal in general.
Sep 22, 2019 8:04 AM

May 2018
fancyjasper said:

Funny enough i think the early animation is much better than when they added that shine to everyone, making them look like they're always covered in oil lol.

Why you guys always switch to art when people are talking about animation?

The first episodes have terrible animation which slowly improves and reaches a peak at the G8 arc. Than the anime goes to HD and the animation worsens, than it gets better again, than worsens again...it's not a linear thing.
For me visually the Thriller Bark and Impel Down arcs are the show at it's best (have some drops of animation quality in them tho).

And this is like with every long going project.
alshuSep 22, 2019 8:08 AM
Sep 22, 2019 8:07 AM

May 2014
alshu said:
fancyjasper said:

Why you guys always switch art when people are talking about animation?

The first episodes have terrible animation which slowly improves and reaches a peak at the G8 arc. Than the anime goes to HD and the animation worsens, than it gets better again, than worsens again...it's not a linear thing.
For me visually the Thriller Bark and Impel Down arcs are the show at it's best (have some drops of animation quality in them tho).

And this is like with every longing project. For example Detective Conan has similar lows and highs.

lol i knew you'd say that, i should've edited it.
Sep 22, 2019 8:17 AM

May 2018
fancyjasper said:

Edit it into what?
I still disagree about the animation being good at the start of the anime.
Sep 22, 2019 8:23 AM

May 2014
alshu said:
fancyjasper said:

Edit it into what?
I still disagree about the animation being good at the start of the anime.

Yeah, i meant the art was better. I should've edited it to art instead of animation, that's what i meant. And since people misuse it like you said, i also thought you might've misused it and meant the art quality as well.
Sep 22, 2019 8:25 AM
Nov 2013
-If you like reading manga you should do that instead of watching the anime
-the pacing becomes unbearable around ep 700
Sep 22, 2019 8:31 AM

Jun 2011
From what I've heard, Skypeia, Thriller Bark, Marineford, as well as everything past that were said to be slow by some.. For me, I semi-dropped the anime since Dressrosa, that's when it turns from "well decent enough" to "straight up garbage", even though it's getting a little bit more decent again now.

If you're still keen on watching the anime, I'd highly suggest trying out One Pace* for the said arcs.

*One Pace is a fan edited project of the One Piece anime series where they trimmed out all the padding/fillers in order to make the anime flow faster. It's not the perfect version but it's far better than what we're getting past Marineford.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 22, 2019 10:35 PM

Nov 2008
Seriously just read the manga. That's what I'm doing.

Sep 22, 2019 11:00 PM

Jun 2019
No but it'll ruin your experience with the not-good-animation.
Sep 23, 2019 2:34 AM
Mar 2019
I stopped after episode one. The barrel scene alone was enough to tell me the pacing was going to be ass.
Sep 23, 2019 7:56 AM
Jul 2018
You have to change at episode 278. That is the point at which anime change from 2 chapters per episode to 1 chapter per episode. It is unbearable from the point on

Consider it the only true answer
Sep 23, 2019 8:05 AM

Aug 2017
The pacing in the manga (and more or less the anime) was ok until the Marineford arc.

The pacing went to shit after the timeskip, even in the manga.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vampire Hunter D or Castlevania?

AcbSnakeDemon - 7 minutes ago

2 by rey_n »»
1 minute ago

» Will we get more anime's that reflect "Stoner Comedy"?

GoatPieceLuffy - 8 hours ago

31 by 23feanor »»
6 minutes ago

» Who is the most overrated villain in anime?

The-Wombat - 3 hours ago

5 by dankmitris »»
8 minutes ago

» Spring 2024 Mid-Season Ranking

NoelleIsSleepy - 2 hours ago

10 by E-Satie »»
8 minutes ago

» So, what's the oldest anime you've ever watched?

Gashadokur0 - Today

44 by mshfqtny »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.