Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 25, 2019 2:31 PM

Jan 2009
wait it for yourself, episode 7 or 8 is just around the corner

and people here cannot answer you without spoiling what happened to the manga anyway
May 25, 2019 2:51 PM

Oct 2017
crybabynes said:
Nim0174 said:

keep in mind he only read til chapter 96 which means he has no idea whats going on
because of the way isayama tells the story the events start clearing up in chapter 100-110 which then reveals the bigger plot more clearly and introduces new mysteries in a different way

So that is, I get it now.
But don't people know that there must be some build up in any story? How could they judge something when it's not over yet? Like chapter 96 wasn't the end of the manga? I really don't get how rashly they judge.

I said earlier, that I also got to see manga readers a while ago getting hyped for the chapters from 100 and so on.
I have seen many titles on YouTube saying "chapter 114 is CRAZY" "Shingeki no Kyojin chapter 115!!!" With a lot of exciting words for the rest of the last chapters, so I'm sure that the manga is still so good or even much better.
It got me to delete my YouTube account so I don't get spoiled lol.

Wish season 4 would come sooner after this arc.

Well its just preferences I personally liked the build up helped me look at a certain character in a different light which really adds to the later conflict. Though yeah once you start getting to CH 98 things start to really go down. Even with the current episode with Erwin I think chapter 100 or even this most recent chapter are on its level if not better but that is my own personal opinion.
May 25, 2019 6:04 PM
Jul 2018
crybabynes said:
I have been reading from some manga readers that they were disappointed by the basement reveal and tbh that scared me,
I'm only-anime so I don't want any spoilers, I just want to know if the basement reveal will worth all that waiting? will it be good enough or will it affect SNK negatively?
It could be a controversial reveal that some liked it and some disliked it but as far as I know some didn't like it, and I think that may have a bad feedback on the series, therefore, I just want to know what's the matter without spoiling it.
Especially we're only a few episodes before learning it.
If I was to be honest, the basement reveal in AoT is probably one of the best plot twists I've ever seen. It basically opens up everyone's eyes.
May 25, 2019 7:16 PM

Oct 2015
As the others have said, the manga takes a while to build up after the basement reveal because what we find out from the basement opens a lot of room for development for the story and it needed time to build its foundations for the upcoming story.

It's like the Uprising arc but on a larger scale where you're thrown off a bit by the shift in tone and different story direction, it's a puzzle where you don't see where it's going to go, but when the pieces come together they come together really well.

There are some people who claim that Isayama is making asspulls and has no idea where the story is going and that is far from true. To this point the manga is still making references to small details from 20+ chapters ago, which is about 2years in terms of publication.
May 25, 2019 8:01 PM
Jun 2017
I liked the basement reveal but prepare yourself for an overwhelming information
May 25, 2019 8:05 PM
Mar 2016
Don't worry fam, the answer is simple.

If you prefer a simple kind of story, you won't like it, but if you like it to be really well-written and foreshadowed since the very beginning, serious kind of story that approaches sensitive topics, mind-blowing, exciting, hype, and very very very detailed to the point that some epic spins off novels or series could be produced out of it.. in this case you will love it. :))
May 25, 2019 9:39 PM
Mar 2016
nekoeren said:
It was because of the basement reveal that SnK became one of my favorite manga ever.The next arc after the reveal is even better, in my opinion, it's my favorite.

Right. It just gets better and better, and I prefer the legendary story and mysteries over action.. although action is epic!
May 25, 2019 11:29 PM
Mar 2019
tbh this new season of AOT isnt completely uninteristing and seems promising.
I have unpopular opinions
May 25, 2019 11:42 PM

Nov 2018
I honestly liked the basement reveal more than the first half of the arc when I first read it.
May 26, 2019 12:50 AM

Jan 2013
keragamming said:
CondemneDio said:

If it made my lose my interest, it made me lose my interest. No way around it.

I decided to power-read through the remaining chapters once the manga is completed. By that time, maybe I'll change my mind, maybe I won't.

That and uprising arc is pretty similar at the beginning but you were able to continue uprising arc?

May 26, 2019 1:36 AM

Apr 2019
CondemneDio said:
keragamming said:

That and uprising arc is pretty similar at the beginning but you were able to continue uprising arc?

i didn't like that either
initially
just read chapter 96-100, if ur interest doesnt even remotely get picked by then - which i guaruantee it will, or well maybe it won't, but for the majority it does - then by all means keep criticising it all u want if it makes u happy
You son of a .. turtle

May 26, 2019 1:39 AM

Jan 2013
Nim0174 said:
CondemneDio said:

i didn't like that either
initially
just read chapter 96-100, if ur interest doesnt even remotely get picked by then - which i guaruantee it will, or well maybe it won't, but for the majority it does - then by all means keep criticising it all u want if it makes u happy

I'll read it once the story is concluded. SnK is pretty low on my priority list at the moment.
May 26, 2019 5:05 AM

Nov 2013
The fact that people have really been waiting years for something as stupid as a "basement reveal" is baffling to me.
May 26, 2019 5:18 AM
May 2019
Blarey said:
The fact that people have really been waiting years for something as stupid as a "basement reveal" is baffling to me.

Its stupid how? Its a well crafted plot device thats been foreshadowed for a long time that changes the way the story is told in a really interesting manner imo when it got revealed in the manga. With this logic of yours, I can say any reveal you've been waiting for a long time for is stupid, but I wont. Not trying to be rude I just want an actual explanation rather than "its stupid"
May 26, 2019 5:39 AM

Nov 2013
Weebover9000 said:
Blarey said:

Its stupid how? Its a well crafted plot device thats been foreshadowed for a long time that changes the way the story is told in a really interesting manner imo when it got revealed in the manga. With this logic of yours, I can say any reveal you've been waiting for a long time for is stupid, but I wont. Not trying to be rude I just want an actual explanation rather than "its stupid"

It's bad writing and a plot device used to drag the story
May 26, 2019 5:45 AM
May 2019
Blarey said:
Weebover9000 said:

Saying its bad writing doesnt really explain anything, but it has been a plot device since ep 1 and one of the main goals of the story so not reaching or using that eventual goal would be actual bad writing. Although its your opinion and I'll respect it just to prevent any arguments
Weebover9000May 26, 2019 5:49 AM
May 26, 2019 6:24 AM

Oct 2013
Blarey said:
Weebover9000 said:

Dude not because you don't like snk, doesn't mean you should be unfairly criticizing it, you have one piece in your favorite list, which means you have no problem with plot device and stories dragging on, one piece has been dragging on for decades now!

@CondemneDio

Look you have a brother, someone else who stops reading snk at chapter 96, its sad the amount of people that drop or put the series on hold on that number.

@Weebover9000

He is a one piece fan, he has no problem with plot device or stories dragging on as long as he loves that series, but if he doesn't like it then he will be a hypocrite and criticize another series for revealing its truth way earlier than one piece at this point the author may die before revealing the truth for one piece.
May 26, 2019 6:31 AM

Aug 2012
The basement reveal is a pleb filter
May 26, 2019 6:39 AM
Apr 2019
Blarey said:
Weebover9000 said:

Dude u have no problem in one piece being 900+ chapters long and then u complain aot's basement reveal is a plot device and drags the story. Are u a troll or what? And if u think basement reveal is a bad writing and drags on the story, explain to us why do u think so.
May 26, 2019 7:07 AM

Nov 2013
@keragamming @titanslayer18

Let's not compare the scale of One Piece to the basement of SnK, Eren knows where the basement is and it's not even that far away.
May 26, 2019 7:15 AM
May 2019
Blarey said:

Let's not compare the scale of One Piece to the basement of SnK, Eren knows where the basement is and it's not even that far away.

Getting to it is another issue all together cause obviously you are going to have enemies to prevent you from reaching your goal, thats the whole point of having villains in a story, ex: reiner and bert when they heard erwin parade how important the basement is during the scout recruitment in season one, also we have the right to compare it since your gripe about the aot anime is it being dragged on with a plot device, where some arcs like dressrosa in one piece were way longer than they needed to be.
Weebover9000May 26, 2019 7:20 AM
May 26, 2019 8:27 AM

Jan 2013
keragamming said:

@CondemneDio

Look you have a brother, someone else who stops reading snk at chapter 96, its sad the amount of people that drop or put the series on hold on that number.

lol k
Is that all you wanted to say?
May 26, 2019 8:30 AM

Apr 2019
It's bad writing and a plot device used to drag the story[/quote]
Funseco said:
The basement reveal is a pleb filter

I can only agree, it weeds out the peasants.

Blarey said:
Weebover9000 said:

You do not get to say that. You have One Piece in your favourites.
The most ridiculously slow paced Story in the History of Humanity.

People can travel around the World twice in the time frame of One Arc
Every Episode contains 10 Minutes of Previous Episode Recaps or Flashbacks
Conversations are dragged out unnecessarily long
3 minute actual Content.
Genius.

Blarey said:

The Fact the Location of the One Piece is unknown is used as Plot Device to drag the Story out unnecessarily long.

Its bad writing.

Nim0174May 26, 2019 8:37 AM
You son of a .. turtle

May 26, 2019 9:48 AM
Mar 2016
Nim0174 said:
b]
The Fact the Location of the One Piece is unknown is used as Plot Device to drag the Story out unnecessarily long.

Its bad writing.
[/b]

It's literally the point of One Piece. And what you're referring to is the anime, which I agree is unnecessarily long, but it's not "bad writing" on the author's part. I can see that you haven't read or watched any of One Piece before judging it. Genius.
May 26, 2019 10:17 AM

Apr 2019
shadowblaster5 said:
Nim0174 said:

Its bad writing.

It's literally the point of One Piece. And what you're referring to is the anime, which I agree is unnecessarily long, but it's not "bad writing" on the author's part. I can see that you haven't read or watched any of One Piece before judging it. Genius.

I watched 840+ Episodes right up to Big Moms Party
just because its not in my list does not mean i haven't watched it
Genius.

on top of that it was sarcasm countering the bullshit that imbecile up there spouted.
Genius.
You son of a .. turtle

May 26, 2019 10:24 AM

Jun 2008
The reveal kills the series. Everything after that point is manga/anime suicide.

I'm still reading it just to finish the series, but if it get an anime version in the future, I'll probably not watch it.

BTW, after the reveal, we get a really, reallyyyyyyyyyyy sloooooooooow start for the next arc.
May 26, 2019 10:58 AM
Aug 2018
The writing is objectively great because it connects everything and all the previous events make sense. Idc if someone didnt like it lol. O was personally mind blown with how brilliant it is.
May 26, 2019 11:46 AM

Jul 2010
Can confirm. I rewatched the series after the reveal and there were a lot of foreshadowings. I was like, "why could I not figure it out". I did not think much of this series but I figured it is one of the best series to get most out of a rewatch.

For example, you can notice Erwin is in the first episode of season 1. Wonder who else is in the first episode...

But in addition to tonal shift, the start of the next arc is a bit slow-paced as others said. There were 5 chapters like this and it is a huge deal for monthly serialized manga. That can be why people dropped this.
OonokamiMay 26, 2019 11:56 AM
May 26, 2019 1:56 PM
Nov 2017
Honestly people have different tastes, if you like quick paced, action filled typical shonen anime, then you probably won't enjoy it as much. But if you're the type that enjoys a show that provokes deep thinking and morally ambiguous themes, then you are really going to like it. I've seen people say that AOT really turns in to more of a Seinen than Shonen show, and I agree.
It's really to your own opinion, personally, I loved it! But if you don't, I can understand the reasons. But genuinely, Isayama has outdone him self with the manga, it exceeded my expectations.
May 27, 2019 2:13 AM

Dec 2009
Basically if you love action packed manichean Shonen but don't like Seinen genre with heavy stuff, morally gray characters,
(kinda like GoT books actually) then you might won't like what's coming, otherwise you're in for one of the best written arc in the serie... as well as (all) manga in general imo.
Batora07May 27, 2019 2:16 AM
May 27, 2019 2:58 AM
Jan 2018
SSTHZero said:
The reveal kills the series. Everything after that point is manga/anime suicide.

I'm still reading it just to finish the series, but if it get an anime version in the future, I'll probably not watch it.

BTW, after the reveal, we get a really, reallyyyyyyyyyyy sloooooooooow start for the next arc.

The reveal kills it ? Even though it was hinted and forshadowed on what it would be.

What did people expect it to be there's only one thing it could have been
May 27, 2019 3:57 AM

Oct 2017
To be honest it depends on your taste? Some people may like it and some may not and the revelation of everything that happened in the basement just made everything clear, it was not something great that people created so hype about but after the basement arc I ended up liking the manga even more because everything made much more sense. I instantly became Isayama's fan.
But yes there are people who are disappointed with it (ofcourse they have their own reason) so at the end of the day it *depends* you just need to wait maybe, hope you like the basement arc :) .
sevshiroMay 27, 2019 7:01 AM

I want you to be happy.
I want you to laugh a lot.
I don’t know what exactly
I’ll be able to do for you,
but I’ll always be by your side.
May 27, 2019 5:42 AM
Jan 2018
sevshiro said:
To be honest it depends on your taste? Some people may like it and some may not and the revelation of everything that happened in the basement just made everything clear, it was not something great that people created so hype about but after the basement arc I even ended up liking the manga even more because everything made much more sense. I instantly became Isayama's fan. But yes there are people who are disappointed with it (ofcourse they have their own reason) so at the end of the day it *depends* you just need to wait maybe, hope you like the basement arc :) .

They must have been dispointed at how realistic the reveal was
May 27, 2019 6:34 AM

Jul 2012
As I like to say, the only people who dislikes the basement twist either don't get it (nor really try thinking about it too much, much less rereading to see how everything was leading up to it majestically), or just wanted the whole thing to be about killing titans and surviving, instead of evolving into something far deeper, clever and legitimately thought-provoking.

And it was all foreshadowed from the start and fits the whole setting perfectly with all of the explanations.

Some may even argue "oh, the pacing is too slow and I don't like the new multiple narrative perspectives", but that's quite minor overall and beyond necessary to develop the later part of the next arc (and anyway, it's for like 6 chapters after the basement reveal and after that, once reaching the actual meat of the plot, it's purely made of amazing twists and turns that go topping each other every month since the latest arc began).

Also:
tzarye14 said:
A lot of people didn't like the basement because it was hard to swallow even tho everything was basically foreshadows in the manga (the anime is made even bigger foreshadow and fix some mistakes).
There's also just to much for you to understand in one read. While the anime is definitely gonna simplify some aspects I suggest rewatching the episodes so you catch everything.
It might also be troublesome to not have the next season coming out right after this one cause the explanations would help a lot.

There weren't any mistakes in the manga. Isayama just felt like it wasn't as fluid and well paced as he hoped it to be, leading him to be disappointing at his own work until the end of that arc.

And if anything, the anime adaptation proved his point wrong, since by making the pacing faster, the storytelling more shuffled like the early storytelling of the manga instead of the chronologically straight-to-the-point we had and all of the cuts (including proper character development for some of the secondary cast and overall some hints and presentation of foreshadowing elements) made the adaptation not only a bit convoluted, but also less substantial.

If you check the older threads and discussions on reddit by manga readers, you will see some reaching the same end, and concluding the manga version to be the better version despite the extra nods here and there by the anime.

DanpmssMay 27, 2019 6:49 AM
May 27, 2019 6:55 AM
May 2016
Honestly now that the manga has let the reveal sit for a good few years and Isayama's proven he's an actual competent writer, I can safely say the basement reveal is one of the best reveals I've seen in a manga. The way the story changes into something complex but genuinely well-written and unique is what makes me think AoT will be remembered as a classic. The basement reveal and stuff like the absolutely fantastic 100th chapter are what elevates the series from being simply "great" to being god-tier.

Tbh genuinely agree with the people who say that the only reason it's disliked is because the series from that point onwards completely removes itself from any shounen roots at all, which if you genuinely can't enjoy stuff that requires you to think a bit more is a deal-breaker I guess. It's such an ambitious manga that's writing is so strong you have foreshadowing linked from the very first chapters all the way to current ones. There's no asspulls, everything is connected and everything has a purpose, the themes of the story and the way the characters have become so fleshed out that there truly isn't black/white morality anymore is what makes this a modern classic in the making. If the story committed instead to just being hype battles and titan-killing until the end it'd probably still be fun but it wouldn't be as impactful or memorable as it is now, and a lot of people agree since SnK's volumes consistently sell very highly.
ModernoirMay 27, 2019 7:08 AM
May 27, 2019 7:01 AM

Jul 2012
Modernoir said:
Honestly now that the manga has let the reveal sit for a good few years and Isayama's proven he's an actual competent writer, I can safely say the basement reveal is one of the best reveals I've seen in a manga. The way the story changes into something complex but genuinely well-written and unique is what makes me think AoT will be remembered as a classic. The basement reveal and stuff like the absolutely fantastic 100th chapter are what elevates the series from being simply "great" to being god-tier.

Oh yeah, we mostly don't talk much about chapter 100 since it's heavy spoiler territory, but it's where the final act of the story begins with a BANG that never weared off thus far and just keep escalating from then on.
May 27, 2019 7:04 AM
Apr 2017
Will there be fighting scenes after the reveal or it will be like s3 part 1 just storytelling?
May 27, 2019 7:13 AM
May 2016
Danpmss said:
Modernoir said:

Oh yeah, we mostly don't talk much about chapter 100 since it's heavy spoiler territory, but it's where the final act of the story begins with a BANG that never weared off thus far and just keep escalating from then on.

I can understand if people don't really like buildup chapters (I can't, actually, I thought they were necessary and the POV switch was perfect for setting up the last arc) but good lord, chapter 100 and the chapters after it are legendary. I've watched fan animations of those chapters too many times to count.

narun said:
Will there be fighting scenes after the reveal or it will be like s3 part 1 just storytelling?

A healthy mix of both. The writing is incredibly strong but takes its time so the payoff can hit like an explosion. Not necessarily a huge spoiler but
May 27, 2019 7:13 AM

Jul 2012
narun said:

May 27, 2019 11:57 AM

Apr 2019
@Modernoir

You son of a .. turtle

May 27, 2019 4:14 PM
Jul 2018
Personally I didn't think it was a big deal but neither did it ruin the story in any way. I agree with people saying that the story gets more complex from then on out and maybe some people so not like to think that hard, idk.
May 27, 2019 4:22 PM

Jun 2008
Mattinator95 said:
SSTHZero said:

The reveal kills it ? Even though it was hinted and forshadowed on what it would be.

Yes, it was hinted, but it was with the reveal we really understood everything.

And it killed the series. I didn't know what I expected, but that "truth" is horrible and everything that happened after it was bad in my useless opinion. Everything connects, everything makes sense, but that doesn't make it good.
May 27, 2019 4:25 PM

Jan 2013
SSTHZero said:
Mattinator95 said:

And it killed the series. I didn't know what I expected, but that "truth" is horrible and everything that happened after it was bad in my useless opinion. Everything connects, everything makes sense, but that doesn't make it good.

Preach it brother. Fans can easily forget the perspective of someone without prior bias / less bias of other people.
May 27, 2019 4:55 PM
Nov 2017
CondemneDio said:
SSTHZero said:

Preach it brother. Fans can easily forget the perspective of someone without prior bias / less bias of other people.
I don't think it particularly has to do with being biased due to previous investments in the series, but rather of different preferences.
The basement reveal was a major turning point in the series, and after which the tone and focus of the series shifted massively. Being no longer action and mystery centred.
This is of course is going to turn some people away, because they prefer a different genre and the change in the series is just not for them. Despite being a previous fan or not.
It is absolutely okay that they come to this conclusion about the change, and I understand where it comes from. I know many previous fans that turned away from the series after the change, so it's a little unfair to say that all fans have a biased view. It's all up to personal preferences.
May 27, 2019 6:21 PM

Jul 2012
SSTHZero said:
Mattinator95 said:

Well, even if you dislike the outcome (not at all the case of most readers, but nobody can judge you on that, since it comes into a very subjective territory of whether you like or not the direction it went on), you can't really deny the quality of the writing, execution and consistency that lead to where it was headed to.

Saying it is straight bad is kinda generalizing its qualities towards your personal expectations of what you wanted the series to become imo (then again, I'm nearly making assumptions for the lack of specific information in your point of view, so feel free to detail if you may).

It's kinda similar to the reaction people had with Umineko way back in the day, except Shingeki got its twist better accepted from the get-go, while Umineko took quite some years of mostly hate before becoming a masterpiece in the eyes of the majority of the visual novel community, so yeah, I can see where the argument comes from (in that case, theorizing was also a big part of the experience to a VAST extent, so much that many fans I know consider Shingeki to be a manga second coming of a sort to have fun with in some regards, especially the absolutely drastic changes of perspective it brought to the table at some points).
DanpmssMay 27, 2019 6:26 PM
May 27, 2019 7:03 PM
Jul 2018
CondemneDio said:
SSTHZero said:

Damn savage ass reply lol.
May 27, 2019 7:05 PM
Jul 2018
If I was to be honest, the basement reveal is probably one of the best marketing decisions made for a manga. It really just paved a whole new path for AoT in general with thousands of different possibilities for its future.
May 28, 2019 7:17 AM

Dec 2015
"WWII-like" images tend to be not appreciated by "anime-internet people" ("unoriginal" they said if I remember well). It's pretty funny since this kind of parallels (or old facist regimes used as models) is often well regarded in more "respectable" fictions.
But it was all okay, some of it was already evident/logical, the rest fitted well.

edited
Some people mentioned the other reason: the "evolution" of the story. Just like people were lost at the transition anime 1st series / manga because it lacked the over-excitement over-thrilling tone of the adaptation, just like other "fans" disappeared when it shifted to power intrigues / "politics" (with a minor p), etc.

Also, thanks @CondemneDio I guess (even though I gave away nothing that happened)
Rei_IIIMay 28, 2019 10:03 PM
May 28, 2019 7:54 AM

Jan 2013

You might want to put some parts of your post inside spoiler tags.
The title clearly says no spoilers.
May 28, 2019 8:29 AM

Feb 2008
I honestly can't wait for the discussion threads for the next three episodes. Sure gonna be a pollfest. And I will finally be able to discuss, since I read the manga too late to even be able to make assumptions from that point onwards.

I know what happens, but when it happens in the anime it's even better... maybe we will no longer see that 9.04 score this season.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2019

346 by GengarGrinn »»
Yesterday, 6:15 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2019

548 by ARTisANexplosion »»
Apr 25, 8:07 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2019

802 by jebras »»
Apr 23, 10:08 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2019

668 by Beqapapi »»
Apr 12, 1:14 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Thorf - May 26, 2019

734 by lightning19 »»
Apr 12, 7:59 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.