Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (19) « First ... « 13 14 [15] 16 17 » ... Last »
Apr 11, 2016 3:04 AM

Mar 2014
Here's the thing: while you're calling it shit, their safety measures didn't actually fail.

If the train showed up without blowing its horn, or if the horn was constantly blowing (because the dead conductor's arm should have been heavy enough to keep the chain pulled down permanently), the guards would have been suspicious and ordered the bridge to stay up. Instead the writer/director came up with this really weird and convoluted way for a kabane to accidentally blow the horn in such a natural way (three or four times in a row, no less) that guards who have been receiving trains for years didn't suspect a thing.

That's not a problem with their safety measures, that's a problem with the directing.

You believe the safety measures could be better. Fine, I agree with that sentiment. I don't agree that makes it a contradiction with the setting though, because it hasn't actually demonstrated itself to easily fail under reasonably imaginable situations.

And I don't believe a kabane accidentally blowing the horn like that and warehouse-sized armored train cars flipping over 100 feet tall walls are reasonable in the slightest.

The safety measures didn't even get a chance to grow into a plot hole, it was snuffed in the crib by bad directing.
Safety measures are supposed to protect people and obviously their safety measures didn't

So yes they failed and the plot convenient plot hole was caused by the director's bad directing
Comic_Sans said:
I did though
You didn't. Your replies never got more informative than "you proved me right" and "you didn't make an argument" (except for when we were trading barbs). At no point did you ever say anything remotely close to "you're arguing something different than what I'm saying".
I did try to correct you though
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 11, 2016 3:23 AM
Jan 2016
Comic_Sans said:
Safety measures are supposed to protect people and obviously their safety measures didn't

So yes they failed and the plot convenient plot hole was caused by the director's bad directing
Well, going by that logic their safety measures would never be anything other than shit, even if it had every suggestion made here in the forums (quarantine zone on separate island, two layers of gates and bridges, full stop before lowering bridge, preliminary visual inspection outside, etc.), because the director would have just come up with some other convoluted reason to cause it to fail.

We'd just be arguing semantics from here on out, so let's just agree that the director screwed up this scene pretty badly?

Comic_Sans said:
I did try to correct you though
Maybe you just thought you did or maybe it was in a post that was deleted before I saw it. Either way, now I know.
Apr 11, 2016 3:29 AM

Mar 2014
]Well, going by that logic their safety measures would never be anything other than shit, even if it had every suggestion made here in the forums (quarantine zone on separate island, two layers of gates and bridges, full stop before lowering bridge, preliminary visual inspection outside, etc.), because the director would have just come up with some other convoluted reason to cause it to fail.

We'd just be arguing semantics from here on out, so let's just agree that the director screwed up this scene pretty badly?
If you insist
Maybe you just thought you did or maybe it was in a post that was deleted before I saw it. Either way, now I know.
Okay
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 11, 2016 5:05 AM
May 2012
I got goosebumps after I seen the first episode. It makes me feel anxious in so many levels despite they trying to make familiar like attack on titan (in their excuses).

Welp, If I know other shows like Guilty crown & etc, I wonder how this show is gonna hold up despite it's cringe worthy.
Apr 11, 2016 5:44 AM
Apr 2015
Pretty good start.

Not sure how Ikumo stopped the virus from turning him into a kabaneri. Hopefully its explained.

The other thing I dont get is if Mumei can kill a kabaneri by decapitating it, then why dont the bushi concentrate on shooting them in their heads instead of at their hearts which proved to be ineffective since their rounds cant get past the reinforced rib cages.
Apr 11, 2016 5:46 AM

May 2009
Jonny_Mhl said:
Well it looks like I'm not alone in this one, why the fuck they did stop the train during the day and not at night is just beyond me.

Because first train arrived unexpected, second was expected and they thought train gives them signals to open the gate when it was just dead machinist eaten by kabane's arm accindently whistling. It was too late too pull up bridge when they noticed.
Bone_Bender said:
Not sure how Ikumo stopped the virus from turning him into a kabaneri. Hopefully its explained.

He blocked his carotid artery to prevent "virus" from taking over his brain and turning him into animalistic beast.
Apr 11, 2016 6:02 AM

Jan 2010
4/5.

I was really disappointed when I started to read Shingeki no Kyojin before the anime was announced and in the start of the manga I was presented with a deus ex machina situation that changed the entire feeling of the show. I was expecting to read something about humanity struggling to survive, being the underdogs and fighting like no tomorrow, not some crap about teenagers being giants and fighting each other.

I won't lie: at the end of this episode the first thought I had was "OH NO THIS GUY GONNA BE HALF-KABANERI AND THEN WE WILL DISCOVER OTHERS ARE LIKE HIM TOO AND IT'S GOING TO BE ANOTHER SHINGEKI SCENARIO WITHOUT PEOPLE TURNING INTO TITANS, BUT KABANERIS".

Please, don't be like that. I really enjoyed the first episode, don't ruin it.
Apr 11, 2016 7:26 AM

Oct 2014
rhap said:

I won't lie: at the end of this episode the first thought I had was "OH NO THIS GUY GONNA BE HALF-KABANERI AND THEN WE WILL DISCOVER OTHERS ARE LIKE HIM TOO AND IT'S GOING TO BE ANOTHER SHINGEKI SCENARIO WITHOUT PEOPLE TURNING INTO TITANS, BUT KABANERIS".

Please, don't be like that. I really enjoyed the first episode, don't ruin it.

With him getting white hair and all that, I'm afraid you might be spot on.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
Apr 11, 2016 7:54 AM
Mar 2012
Steampunk background/art looks fantastic. Start felt like Snowpiercer, and similarly extreme violence compared to current censorship (& that hair tearing felt more painful even w/o blood).
Besides op, less fight animation than a few top ep1's this season, but quality good. 22:50 only? Bit short. Wit worries people with their budget losses midway.

Ikoma: typical busybody idealist inventor. Almost went the annoying route, thankfully his body went steampunk badass & flashy hair. We see a culmination of his research. Seems the green stone, metal piercings to stop virus entering heart, and gallows to secure the brain invasion worked to stop the spread. Hope they explain the reversal. Plot ok but very rushed. His supposed sister died while he ran away. Good mc took care of "angst stage" in a flashback already.

Mumei: great animation & fun character. A few nobles got fantastic hair shading, & lots of samurai/mixed fashion.
Berserker vs Mumei. Nice ice skates. Ooh head chop. No Terraformars censorkun.

OP egoist. Always nice, bit similar to psychopass. TV compression never works well on these. Need the full version too.
Apr 11, 2016 8:53 AM
Apr 2016
Great action,good ending theme,,,story is fine,,give me feelings of attack on titan,,
Overall,FANtasTic ... :)
Apr 11, 2016 9:02 AM

Jan 2010
This should be an SnK spin-off or something, alternate universe or something. Seriously.

I like the idea, the concept, and setting so much (Steampunk is a win, trains, bushi, historical touch...). The animation is stunning. The train is really badass looking. And steampunk IS A WIN. OST is godly.

But, I can't shake off this... feeling that this is too much like SnK, like, the whole train break the wall and the kabane coming in...

Also, am I the only one who thinks Ikoma=Eren+Armin? He have Eren's determination and Armin's intellect.

And there are things that bothered me.
- How do they sure the train won't come bring Kabane with it (like in this episode)? They just, lower the gate without making sure? Like, there should be a tower with telescope or something for inspecting the coming train and making sure it's kabane free and safe to open the gate and let the train in? (I bothered by this when they just let the train enter at the day, and then it is proved the next night at the second half that the train bring kabanes with it)
- I wonder if people don't know that the kabane virus react and spread fast like it did to Ikoma? If they know, there's no need to do check up on injuries because by then, the infected will already has purple bruises all over their body? Or is it different from person to person? This might be explained later though, so it's okay.
- I don't understand how the method Ikoma used can stop the virus from spreading completely. Or more like, UNDO it. Like, it's just disappear. I don't know. It might be explained later though.
- Mumei might or might not has a brother complex.
- I have a feeling that Mumei might be a kabane herself. Or at least not human. Her eyes shining when she behead the kabane.
- And lastly, the thing that bothered me THE MOST is, how the hell Mumei use her geta as weapon, to behead a kabane, without the string snapped or the geta being flown as she swing her leg? It's so stupid. You can's swing a sandal around like that without it being flown somewhere or something.

Things aside, I'm still watching this while waiting for SnK 2. Despite everything, I do enjoyed it, and really like the idea and the other aspect of the show (like the OST, animation, etc). I'll just consider KnK as SnK spin-off or something.
CrimsonMidnightApr 11, 2016 9:19 AM
Apr 11, 2016 9:08 AM

Jul 2015
If you look at the genres of the anime, it is tagged as a horror anime. Do you think it's a horror anime?
SnK is not tagged with horror, and these two anime are very similar.
Apr 11, 2016 9:43 AM

May 2010
I can't believe how bad their security is! Literally the first thing I tought was what if an empty train rams the wall.
Apr 11, 2016 10:28 AM
Apr 2016
hi,
someone please tell me name of the ost at 20,40 min ? ~
Apr 11, 2016 10:33 AM

Nov 2014
Where should I start?

The animation is good (of course when you know which studio is behind it), the universe is interesting and characters seem pretty interresting!

I thought (because of the pv) that it was gonna be exactly like AOT well it sure is inspired by it but it's not the same thing...

Maybe it will be even better?

Since it's only the first episode I can't say much about it but for now it's one of my favourites of this season!

Apr 11, 2016 11:46 AM

Jun 2015
Can someone explain me why the anime is coming out before the manga? Please?
Apr 11, 2016 12:04 PM
Nov 2015
Great first ep. Honestly makes you pumped up. Animation is amazing. It's a little bit like SnK but I'm glad that it has the horror tag to it. It makes me think that this anime is going to be way darker than some super hero story. Steampunk world is really cool. Also them showing that 2 stations went down in this ep makes me think that the kabane taking the stations is not all that uncommon unlike SnK where the wall had been there for 100 years and most had never seen a Titan. Even though the scene where the train crashed and the wall was smashed felt a bit forced it was necessary to show us a bigger glimpse into the horrifying nature of this world. The characters were all pretty good. I especially liked Mumei. Expecting great things from this anime.
Apr 11, 2016 12:17 PM

Jun 2015
KokuoBuzz said:
Rain23 said:
because it's an anime original.

Oh ok, thanks!

Darklight0303 said:
Rain23 said:

Every heard of a notion called ANIME ORIGINAL?

I had never seen something like this happening, just that :|
Anyway, thanks to you too
Apr 11, 2016 2:08 PM

Jul 2007
Jonny_Mhl said:
Oh boy here we got again...

I hope this don't turn out into a total SnK with dozens of plotholes and boring characters.

edit:

Xenocrisi said:

I don't see anything wrong with the two pictures above.

Well it looks like I'm not alone in this one, why the fuck they did stop the train during the day and not at night is just beyond me.

I think the reason might be because they noticed that it was on the exact time, so it seemed like the train looked safe.
In case it came late or sooner they would have debuts and stop it beforehand ,otherwise there is no fear to just handle it normally.
Apr 11, 2016 2:13 PM

Mar 2008
Jonny_Mhl said:
Oh boy here we got again...

I hope this don't turn out into a total SnK with dozens of plotholes and boring characters.

edit:

Xenocrisi said:

So much this! I watched first episode couple of hours ago and it is still bothering the hell out of me! I am glad that i am not the only one.
I mean ffs, they were so paranoid when first train arrived that they even killed one passenger for no reason. But hey, it is train during the night and we see only their light, let us open the gate! This quite kills my interest for this anime. Luckily that beheading scene was so good so i wont drop it for now. Hopefully there arent going to be some huge plot holes like this one.
DeadhouseApr 11, 2016 2:18 PM
Apr 11, 2016 2:22 PM

Dec 2010
Doesn't the samurai princess girl resembles Lynn Minmay
Apr 11, 2016 2:27 PM
Apr 2016
7am4ti said:
hi,
someone please tell me name of the ost at 20,40 min ? ~

why there's not someone help me ?

anyone knows it, please tell me :D
Apr 11, 2016 3:20 PM

Sep 2013
Not a good start but still engaging enough.
Annoyed by Ikoma's voice....too much angst.

Also when did he improved penetration power after he just escaped from jail???
Apr 11, 2016 5:05 PM

Apr 2008
rinneganfire4u said:
Not a good start but still engaging enough.
Annoyed by Ikoma's voice....too much angst.

Also when did he improved penetration power after he just escaped from jail???

He knew exactly what he needed to do. Adding more explosives to the gun wouldn't take that long
Apr 11, 2016 5:25 PM
Jan 2016
Deadhouse said:
So much this! I watched first episode couple of hours ago and it is still bothering the hell out of me! I am glad that i am not the only one.
I mean ffs, they were so paranoid when first train arrived that they even killed one passenger for no reason. But hey, it is train during the night and we see only their light, let us open the gate! This quite kills my interest for this anime. Luckily that beheading scene was so good so i wont drop it for now. Hopefully there arent going to be some huge plot holes like this one.
The first train wasn't scheduled to arrive at that time, so nobody was staffing the quarantine area, so they left the bridge up until it was staffed; the second train was scheduled, so they had the quarantine area ready ahead of time, so they didn't need to make the train wait for the bridge.

The didn't just lower it because it was on time, you hear the train blow its horn several times before it arrives, which is likely supposed to be a sign from the train that everything's okay on their end. There's a reason why they specifically showed us the scene from the cab to explain why the horn was blowing normally despite the train being overrun.

The real problem with that scene is that the director forced the crisis to happen with a convoluted coincidence to undermine security procedures (how the kabane was eating the conductor in that weird, rythmic pattern) and Michael Bay physics to launch warehouse-sized, heavily armored train cars over 100 foot tall walls (during the wide shots you can see the wall is easily ten times higher than nearby buildings, which have to be at least ten feet tall themselves) and explode. Security would have failed no matter how perfect their safety procedures were.
MysteriousBananaApr 11, 2016 5:43 PM
Apr 11, 2016 7:01 PM

Nov 2015
MysteriousBanana said:

The didn't just lower it because it was on time, you hear the train blow its horn several times before it arrives, which is likely supposed to be a sign from the train that everything's okay on their end. There's a reason why they specifically showed us the scene from the cab to explain why the horn was blowing normally despite the train being overrun.

Even if the train was on time, they still have to check if there are zombies clinging to it before letting it in the city no? It's totally impossible that they would just let a train in just because it was on schedule.

Their SOP definitely goes like this:
1. Train stops at the bridge(because train operator knows that the drawbridge isn't down yet) and signals that it's all clear inside
2. Guard inspects the train if there are any zombies clinging before letting it in.

There is absolutely no reason for them to lower the drawbridge because they know that if the train operator is human, they would stop the train before falling to death anyway.

I can't believe so many people defending the train fuck up. Are you telling me if you live in a zombie infested world, you would let in a train full of zombies clinging on it just because they are on schedule.
PiggyBanconApr 11, 2016 7:27 PM
Apr 11, 2016 7:06 PM

Sep 2014
Fuck this this show, this made me really angry. Tetsurou Araki just making a copy paste anime of his most successful creation for money, fuck you dude. There is nothing new this brought to the table I hated it, though I will continue watching just to express my hate. I predicted every single fucking thing in this first episode and I can probably predict the rest of the show, fuck it, I need to stop, just making me more angry.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Apr 11, 2016 8:00 PM
Apr 2015
bastek66 said:
Jonny_Mhl said:

Because first train arrived unexpected, second was expected and they thought train gives them signals to open the gate when it was just dead machinist eaten by kabane's arm accindently whistling. It was too late too pull up bridge when they noticed.
Bone_Bender said:

He blocked his carotid artery to prevent "virus" from taking over his brain and turning him into animalistic beast.

Huh...So I guess the virus quickly dies when it cant find the brain quick enough to infect.
Apr 11, 2016 11:18 PM

Aug 2014
bastek66 said:
Jonny_Mhl said:

yeah i see it that way too .. difference between the both situation in expecting the traint to come. Even in reality when something have time of arrive, u dnt give a sh_t when it come when it should.. but u start to care if it come sooner or later, right? so in that situation as there are all around zombies, u get curious what reason coused the changed arrival ....

But from second angle, I am little dissapointed by defence of the train ... why is the train not devided into more parts so the engine-driver can not be transformed? the logic of beying transformed whole train w/o even slowing down is weird, when I think about it why would zombies come in expected time of arrival?
<center> </center>
Apr 11, 2016 11:26 PM

Aug 2014
DrBlock42 said:
New theory: Msybe the "virus" is something organic that needs O2 to survive:

2. He stopped the blood-circulation in the arm to slow the spread of the infection down.

Still seems to me that his infection is rapidly bigged than others... u can see bitten 2 ppl which will suicide themselves and no evidence of that fast spread. They got bitten and have wound, but at moment no spreading at all. He got bitten and all of sudden the infection is all over his body in few seconds ....
<center> </center>
Apr 12, 2016 12:27 AM
Jan 2016
PiggyBancon said:
MysteriousBanana said:

Even if the train was on time, they still have to check if there are zombies clinging to it before letting it in the city no? It's totally impossible that they would just let a train in just because it was on schedule.
C'mon, man, that entire part you quoted says they didn't drop the bridge just because it was on schedule. At least explain why you don't think the horn is part of the safety protocols and for what other reason it specifically showed us that the horn wasn't being pulled by a living human if you're going to disagree.

Look at the entire sequence with the Koutetsujyo, trains have their own bushi and their rifles, while incapable of killing kabane, have enough punch to knock them off. Obviously they're not going to just let kabane cling on until they reach a station (especially given how much damage they can inflict to the armor plating with their bare hands), so it's reasonable to expect that trains are responsible for making sure no kabane are still hanging on - if for no other reason than to prevent them from tearing the train apart.

But what if they fail to clear the kabane? A living conductor won't sound the horn when they arrive, train slows down to stop, bridge stays up, guards from the wall help snipe kabane off the side. End of problem.

But what if they get overrun? A kabane won't sound the horn when they arrive, bridge stays up, guards watch train take a swan dive into the ravine. End of problem.

But what if they get overrun, the train conductor dies so quickly that he doesn't even have a chance to take his hand off the horn's pull chain, and the kabane that's eating him has the peculiar habit of leaning in to bite and leaning back to chew in a cyclical manner, and that the pattern is so regular that it accidentally causes the horn to blow like a living person was operating it, thus not arousing any suspicion from guards who have been dealing with trains for years? Well, that's a problem. It's also the poster child of extenuating circumstances.

PiggyBancon said:
There is absolutely no reason for them to lower the drawbridge because they know that if the train operator is human, they would stop the train before falling to death anyway.
Here's a reason: to reduce the amount of time the drawbridge is down and the train is idling outside of the walls. Look at the size of those trains, can you imagine how long it takes them to stop and how long it takes them to get started again?

Also think about how much longer a bridge has to stay down while it waits for the train to get started and how long it would take to get over the bridge - during which the bridge cannot be raised. Managing how long the bridge stays down and the gates stay open is every bit as important a security consideration.

PiggyBancon said:
I can't believe so many people defending the train fuck up.
Because not everyone agrees with you that there was a fuck up? As I've previously argued, there was no failure on safety protocols, because the failure was forced with Plot Magic.

You think the bridge should be left up? Fine. The gate operator would have suddenly died of a heart attack, fallen on the switch to cause it to open, and his body would've gotten wedged somehow long enough to prevent the gate from being raised again. That's no less convoluted than the scene with the kabane eating the train conductor.

Any security improvement you can suggest can be defeated by convoluted coincidences, that doesn't mean your suggestions are bad, it just means you can't beat Plot Magic without Plot Armor, and that's a MC exclusive feature.

To reiterate: the scene was bad, but I don't agree with you on what made it bad. I still like the show though, because in a setting with zombies and impossible steam tech, convoluted Plot Magic is easier to accept than outright plot holes.

PiggyBancon said:
Are you telling me if you live in a zombie infested world, you would let in a train full of zombies clinging on it just because they are on schedule.
No, that's not what I'm saying at all, I hope my argument above made that clear to you. If not, please tell me what doesn't make sense so that I can address them.
MysteriousBananaApr 12, 2016 1:16 AM
Apr 12, 2016 12:38 AM
Jan 2016
ewzen said:
DrBlock42 said:

2. He stopped the blood-circulation in the arm to slow the spread of the infection down.

Still seems to me that his infection is rapidly bigged than others... u can see bitten 2 ppl which will suicide themselves and no evidence of that fast spread. They got bitten and have wound, but at moment no spreading at all. He got bitten and all of sudden the infection is all over his body in few seconds ....
Keep in mind the bushi and the priest who were bitten were fully clothed. The bushi has gloves, so you can't see how far the infection has spread beyond the bite mark, and the only thing you could see of the priest are his hands and face.

Also watch Ikoma's scene again. He goes from being fully clothed to having taken off his shirt, somehow torn both legs of his pants (they weren't torn after the fight), wrapped all that extra stuff around him (belt around his arms, around his waist, around his chest, and that metal thing he bolted onto himself), and started a fire (he was in prison all day, the fire couldn't have been started until after the fight).

The bushi committed suicide within minutes of being infected and we have no idea how long the priest was infected (not that you could see how far it had spread), but Ikoma probably farted around for 20~30 minutes (depending on how much water he was boiling to get the steam engine going) getting ready to hang himself.
Apr 12, 2016 12:48 AM

Jul 2013
I was skeptical before. Now I'm not, looking forward to more

There were some issues though, minor ones that can be overlooked such as the bridge being lowered BEFORE the train slows down. Regardless of whether the train is on time the bridge should be raised because of well... things like this.
Apr 12, 2016 1:48 AM

Jan 2016
Last half was sweet. Digging the male lead. Pretty bad ass when he slit his arm to attract the monsters. Then he got infected and started tying himself up and stuff trying to control it, super badass.

7/10 so far for me.
Apr 12, 2016 7:01 AM
Feb 2015
ewzen said:
DrBlock42 said:

Maybe his lungs are stronger...
It's harder than I thought to make sense of this messy plot-hole.
Apr 12, 2016 7:04 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Wow, it's been a long time since I watched original anime this thrilling.

This is so AoT, but I really hope this would be even better than it.

the artwork is like anime from early 2000s.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Apr 12, 2016 7:04 AM

Aug 2014
DrBlock42 said:
ewzen said:

Maybe his lungs are stronger...
It's harder than I thought to make sense of this messy plot-hole.

I like the story of the episode, but on the other hand there are so many plot holes, which ruin whole experience from this anime ... Seems to me like it's not wrote very well....
I must admin, I rly expected more from it ..... Dunno if I am the only one...
<center> </center>
Apr 12, 2016 7:48 AM

Nov 2015
MysteriousBanana said:

The guard lowered the bridge even before the zombie sounded the horn(they lower the bridge because the binocular guy saw the train coming but because it was night he didn't see the zombies clinging). Also they are a group of paranoid people that would not even hesitate to kill their savior like in the beginning so having a thoroughly check on the train before it enters should fit their mindset. It's weird that they would trust the train guards have already cleared the zombies off the train especially when the train have blindspots the people from inside cannot check.

Here's a reason: to reduce the amount of time the drawbridge is down and the train is idling outside of the walls. Look at the size of those trains, can you imagine how long it takes them to stop and how long it takes them to get started again?

Also think about how much longer a bridge has to stay down while it waits for the train to get started and how long it would take to get over the bridge - during which the bridge cannot be raised. Managing how long the bridge stays down and the gates stay open is every bit as important a security consideration.

The first train clearly stopped completely at the drawbridge. The train goes through a tunnel so they cannot see if the bridge is lowered or not so that's not the reason why they stopped. They stopped because that is their SOP. The train must stop at the drawbridge because they will fall to their death if they didn't.
PiggyBanconApr 12, 2016 8:00 AM
Apr 12, 2016 8:00 AM
Jan 2016
PiggyBancon said:
The guard lowered the bridge even before the zombie sounded the horn(they lower the bridge because the binocular guy saw the train coming but because it was night he didn't see the zombies clinging). Also they are a group of paranoid people that would not even hesitate to kill their savior like in the beginning so having a thoroughly check on the train before it enters should fit their mindset.
Just checked the scene again, you can hear the horn before the guard with the binoculars says "here it comes, it's the Husoujyo!", then they start lowering the bridge as the operator comments "this time it's right on time".

The horn blows again a second time right after the bridge is lowered, and a third time to show us it's the kabane eating the conductor that's causing it.

PiggyBancon said:
Also they are a group of paranoid people that would not even hesitate to kill their savior like in the beginning so having a thoroughly check on the train before it enters should fit their mindset. It's weird that they would trust the train guards have already cleared the zombies off the train especially when the train have blindspots the people from inside cannot check.

The first train clearly stopped completely at the drawbridge. The train goes through a tunnel so they cannot see if the bridge is lowered or not so that's not the reason why they stopped. They stopped because that is their SOP. The train must stop at the drawbridge because they will fall to their death if they didn't.
Ah, but that doesn't disprove the SoP that I suggested in my posts either.

If the protocol is that the bridge will not be lowered until the quarantine area is ready to receive a train, and that they only send teams to staff the quarantine area according to the schedule, then the first train would know that the bridge wouldn't come down because they're arriving off-schedule, so they would know to stop even without needing to see the bridge first.

Also that's the whole point of a quarantine area: to check the train and passengers before letting them enter the city proper, and to have a defensible location with plenty of guards on hand in case there are kabane.

You do raise a valid point that there would be a lot of trust on both ends though: the station would need to trust that the bushi are being honest that they've done their job to clean up as many of the kabane as possible, and the train would need to trust that the station has the right schedule and is ready to receive them (and thus will lower the bridge once they hear the horn).
MysteriousBananaApr 12, 2016 8:33 AM
Apr 12, 2016 8:13 AM

Oct 2014
I'm not into zombies and all that jazz but I'll give it a try. It was nice to see Feudal Japan mixed with something mainstream. The animation is beautiful 10/10 wish gyakuten saiban had this quality
Wait, did you just say that Jojo is shit?
Apr 12, 2016 1:40 PM

Nov 2008
Well that last part was a bit of a train wreck wasn't it (all puns intended) xD Is there no protocol for this???? Check that the train is not covered in glowy monsters with super strength then let it through. What is the point of that wall. Jesus. MC is the only rational person. But that was exciting isn't it I am going to keep watching. Let me just point out that the anime was good enough that a lot of people are complaining because it means that the director managed to make people emotionally invested enough to be insulted by sudden weaknesses in the plot near the end. Top marks for opening episode. :pachi pachi pachi:
Apr 12, 2016 2:24 PM

Feb 2014
I guess that logic and rational thinking are really banned this season, arent they?

Ok, so MC miraculously cured himself from aggressive virus by strangling himself. As a medical student, no as a normally thinking human I just cannot fucking overlook that. How the heck do you kill virus and heal all rotten tissue by hanging urself for a few seconds. (even changing his fucking haircolor, jesus) Not to mention that some retards, I mean MAL users, thought that it was even badass and awesome. Like how deep in your ass must ur head be to consider this awesome?

Another bullshit, I mean plot hole...ehm, I'm skipping on that train getting into fort because it has been generally accepted as bullshit writing...

So this entire episode was exposition on the world and showing that their steam guns aren't powerful enough to kill Kabaneras who have hardened body and can punch through steel. Yet, the next thing we see is a petit 40kg girl decapitating Kabenera with a spinning kick. Like WTF? That blade wasnt thick enough to slash through his neck and I seriously doubt she can produce enough momentum to even cut through his hardened body... I'm not sure if someone watched ending but she is shown there how she kills Kabanera with a javelin. Like seriously???? U had the entire first episode to fucking show that steam guns arent enough to pierce through their heart and in ending the 40kg girl can kill Kabanera with a wooden fucking javelin.

Half of the episode is awkward philosophical blabbering.

BTW guys ffs stop comparing this to Attack on Titan. Like in almost every post apocalyptical setting you see people living behind walls. And no, not every other post apocalyptical show is a copy of AOT!!!

Between the adult world and the world of kids,

there, Holyland exists.
Apr 12, 2016 2:39 PM
Mar 2016
its almost like a zombie apocalypse.
Apr 12, 2016 2:42 PM

Jul 2011
Xenocrisi said:
shanimebib said:

If you can rationalize the two pictures above you will realize plot wise how bad the first episode was. I will not say more.

The first arrival was unscheduled, which is why they were confused and had their guard up. The bridge is always set up raised just like castle gates are always closed but then lowered afterwards.

The second at night was scheduled to arrive so they were preparing for their arrival which is why they were in the PROCESS of lowering the bridge as it approaches, didn't leave it down. It was also in sight, the guy in the watchtower using the binoculars had vision of the train.

Nice try. No flaw in that part but feel free to stay salty.
Apr 12, 2016 2:45 PM

Jul 2011
Anywho, amazing first episode. Already knew this would one of the top of the season. Expectations and hype has been fulfilled.
Apr 12, 2016 3:39 PM

May 2014
Goddamn fucking hell, THIS WAS ONE HELL OF AN EPISODE.
This is an interesting idea, although a bit overused.
This anime looks like someone put Snowpiercer and Shingeki no Kyojij together lol.
Well from the beginning :p
They've already established some characters, but where will they go with them?
Animation-wise I was kinda shocked in the beginning, I don't even know why. Well the ED sounds nice and looks nice. It reminded me of Shingeky no Kyojin, I mean their gear did.
And our MC is an inventer, one who doesn't mind speaking up! Yay!
I so want to see more of this anime, perhaps my most anticipated anime of the season, who knows.
I think this'll be one if not the only show this season to start off with an 8/10 for me.
Apr 12, 2016 4:28 PM
Jun 2013
wow this is better than I expected, love the art, the style, how the chicks look and how scientific the MC is lol using his brain instead of just running around in fear.
Apr 12, 2016 4:29 PM

Dec 2009
Ah, I assume this is the show that the hipsters will love to nit pick about this season. And pretend to be all cool and shit hating the show "The uneducated fans" like.

Good. Now I know that there's another episode discussion I'll be staying out of.

Anyways, that godly Sawano music is orgasmic. Can't wait to hear the Sawano/Aimer ED.
Apr 12, 2016 4:51 PM

Nov 2015
slovak125 said:

So this entire episode was exposition on the world and showing that their steam guns aren't powerful enough to kill Kabaneras who have hardened body and can punch through steel. Yet, the next thing we see is a petit 40kg girl decapitating Kabenera with a spinning kick. Like WTF? That blade wasnt thick enough to slash through his neck and I seriously doubt she can produce enough momentum to even cut through his hardened body... I'm not sure if someone watched ending but she is shown there how she kills Kabanera with a javelin. Like seriously???? U had the entire first episode to fucking show that steam guns arent enough to pierce through their heart and in ending the 40kg girl can kill Kabanera with a wooden fucking javelin.

Letting the train in was stupid and doesn't make sense.
The girl killing the Kabanera is explainable because she's a demi Kabanera. You can see her body have the Kabanera veins in the opening.

The people and MC are stupid though because they already have a weapon that can pierce through the Kabaneras. It's the suicide bag because for some reason it can pierce through the heart of a Kabanera. They could just turn that thing into a weapon.
Apr 12, 2016 5:33 PM

Dec 2012
I'll just be one of those Kabane zombie thingies if I lived in this universe. Sounds like a much more stress free way of living. Yeap. Plus I'll be brain dead and probably unaware of my state of existence.
allo
Pages (19) « First ... « 13 14 [15] 16 17 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2016

790 by wallus81 »»
Apr 24, 1:58 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2016

524 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 1, 8:22 PM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2016

367 by FedeMetal »»
Mar 30, 11:21 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2016

616 by Garrett_Dark »»
Mar 10, 11:50 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2016

393 by Garrett_Dark »»
Mar 10, 10:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.