Forum Settings
Forums

Is it a crime to give anime a real ending.

New
Is it a crime to give anime a real ending.
Mar 5, 2016 4:26 PM
Jul 2018
So yeah like what in the question is. Do anyone think it is a crime and not acceptable to give real ending because occasionally the ending always divided fans into two group. Group that want route A kind of and ending and others that want route B kind of ending or maybe C, D etc... well you guys should get the point right. So the creator give us an open ending instead and let the fans choose whatever ending they like. Not to enrage anyone so all fans can be satisfied.

Gonna talk about 1 or 2 anime ending so spoiler alert.

So yeah what you guys think and maybe you can share an opinion why do you think a real ending is better than open ending or otherwise. I myself think it was unacceptable to give an open ending because let's face it giving an open ending is like saying the story is never gonna cross the finish line. So we are left hanging whatever happen to our mc or how the mc life after that.

P/S: My first thread created in MAL. Please forgive me if my word are hard to read or understand. I'm not very good with my vocab/grammar so I don't know if it sound weird or not, but if there is something wrong with it feel free to correct me.
Mar 5, 2016 4:28 PM
Jan 2014
Most Anime adapt a small parte of an original source, Thats why they dont have an ending

For example,Akame ga Kill manga is ongoing
Mar 5, 2016 4:31 PM

Jul 2014
it's not punishable by law.
it's not a crime.
the end.
Mar 5, 2016 4:32 PM

Jun 2012
Most open ended series that were deliberately done to wrap off a series instead of promoting a manga are done that way to leave the viewer questioning the themes presented in the series. It's not the actual ending that matters, it's the content leading up to the climax that matters. What you choose to take from the series is up to you and you should feel compelled to think about what the writer of the story wanted you to think about.

The GTO manga gives a pretty big open ending at the end of all of it, but what it does is make the reader question many things in the aspect of what it means to be a teacher. Is it criminal to leave the ending like that instead of giving the reader a conclusive ending? No, far from it, actually.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Mar 5, 2016 4:32 PM

Dec 2015
I don't think it's a crime since like you said there were anime who ended up like that.
Mar 5, 2016 4:34 PM
Jul 2018
Nah, it was intended to do so, since the main objective of animu adaptation is to advertise the original source.
Mar 5, 2016 4:37 PM
Dec 2014
alinet86 said:
So yeah like what in the question is. Do anyone think it is a crime and not acceptable to give real ending because occasionally the ending always divided fans into two group. Group that want route A kind of and ending and others that want route B kind of ending or maybe C, D etc... well you guys should get the point right. So the creator give us an open ending instead and let the fans choose whatever ending they like. Not to enrage anyone so all fans can be satisfied.

Gonna talk about 1 or 2 anime ending so spoiler alert.

So yeah what you guys think and maybe you can share an opinion why do you think a real ending is better than open ending or otherwise. I myself think it was unacceptable to give an open ending because let's face it giving an open ending is like saying the story is never gonna cross the finish line. So we are left hanging whatever happen to our mc or how the mc life after that.

P/S: My first thread created in MAL. Please forgive me if my word are hard to read or understand. I'm not very good with my vocab/grammar so I don't know if it sound weird or not, but if there is something wrong with it feel free to correct me.

I personally loved the Code Geass ending. It got me by surprise.
Mar 5, 2016 4:44 PM

Jul 2011
You won't end on jail or having to pay to someone for do it or something, so it's not a crime
Mar 5, 2016 4:44 PM
Dec 2014
alinet86 said:
CrappyGod-sama said:
Most open ended series that were deliberately done to wrap off a series instead of promoting a manga are done that way to leave the viewer questioning the themes presented in the series. It's not the actual ending that matters, it's the content leading up to the climax that matters. What you choose to take from the series is up to you and you should feel compelled to think about what the writer of the story wanted you to think about.

The GTO manga gives a pretty big open ending at the end of all of it, but what it does is make the reader question many things in the aspect of what it means to be a teacher. Is it criminal to leave the ending like that instead of giving the reader a conclusive ending? No, far from it, actually.

Thank you. Best answer so far.
But I still didn't like how GTO ended and the fact that the manga itself spawned several sequel made me question whether we will see the last of Onizuka.

It's mostly so they don't HAVE to end it. Often times these are great opportunities to establish franchises. And franchises support the studios and publishers, in turn helping to make more anime and manga. So it's much easier not to give a whole ending.
Mar 5, 2016 4:45 PM
Dec 2014
alinet86 said:
Longshot226 said:

It did, didn't you? So which one did you think happen.

Well, most people don't survive swords through the chest.
I think he died.
Mar 5, 2016 4:46 PM

May 2015
No, not really. You gotta understand though, it had such an ending because
they were promoting the original media. It was simply an advertisement.

Different case if it's an original story though.
Commercial success ≠ Critical acclaim -A. K. Hitler
"I'm not here for the crappy story, I am here for the top quality
chinese/vietnamese/korean outsourced Nippon animation"
-J. F. Cena

"My shitpost is better than your shitpost." Me
Mar 5, 2016 4:51 PM

Sep 2015
Sometimes I feel the endings are not to my liking but then again I think they are great. All on preference. I may route for A but B is what ends up being canon
💙 Set by:Gabby_Chan💙 Strawberry
Mar 5, 2016 5:06 PM

Jul 2015
no but not every ending is satisfying
Mar 5, 2016 5:07 PM

Mar 2015
I dont mind open ending as long as the story end. So far, I dont have any complain with any ending. But I do have problem with uncompleted story. Isshuukan Friends for an example. There are many things need to be explained and the story can progress further.

For Akame ga Kiru, it doesnt matter if the MC

And for Code Geass.
EsperMar 5, 2016 5:16 PM
This salad is salty favored
Mar 5, 2016 6:00 PM

Apr 2011
loose end => possibility for a sequel
Mar 5, 2016 6:13 PM

Jul 2009
Usually real ending brings more satisfaction, I guess. It's a conclusion to the story, it's absolute, answer our questions and doesn't let us wonder. Romantic anime that ends without the couple getting together is simply sad. Unsatisfactory.

But in some cases the open ending simply works better. Code Geass being a great example, it couldn't get better ending in my opinion. People can speculate about it till the end of the world, but it's epic either way.
Personally, I think that ending of Naruto would be much better if the manga ended with chapter 699. The story was finished, but the ending was open. Then the last chapter occurred and everybody lived happily ever after. As a conclusion it was horrendous and it felt like a poor setting for a shameless milking of the series in the future. And they certainly milk it well.

It really depends on the story. Hats off to authors who know how to give their story a nice, fitting ending. Hats off to editors who let the authors end the story as they wish.
Mar 5, 2016 6:14 PM

Jul 2015
@alinet86 that's not always the case though. oreimo is a pretty good example. The author of the light novels wanted it to end differently. but his publisher (or the anime studio i can't remember which) gave us the ending we got instead.
Mar 5, 2016 7:41 PM

Jun 2012
alinet86 said:
CrappyGod-sama said:

Thank you. Best answer so far.
But I still didn't like how GTO ended and the fact that the manga itself spawned several sequel made me question whether we will see the last of Onizuka.
Well, the success of the series warrants the author to

a) ride off the success of the series for steady work
b) cater to the fans by doing all sorts of fanservice spin-offs and sequels

I don't mind the spin-offs, even though they're not as good as the original.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Mar 5, 2016 7:44 PM

Nov 2015
-No, it is not a crime. You won't be arrested for it.
-Many anime have proper, decent endings.
-The ones that don't are usually just advertisements of their respective manga series (well they are anyway)
-Open ended endings are necessary because thought provoking & deep.
Mar 5, 2016 7:46 PM

Jul 2015
alinet86 said:
Longshot226 said:

It did, didn't you? So which one did you think happen.

that nigga lelouch is dead real talk
Mar 5, 2016 8:05 PM

Nov 2015
alinet86 said:
GesuYarou said:
-No, it is not a crime. You won't be arrested for it.
-Many anime have proper, decent endings.
-The ones that don't are usually just advertisements of their respective manga series (well they are anyway)
-Open ended endings are necessary because thought provoking & deep.

- I thought I answer this already.
- That is not a real ending.
- That always the case aren't they.
- Errr... I have no idea how to answer to this. m(_ _;;m

-You answered your own question? Okay.
-Good endings aren't real endings? Okay.
-Any anime that was adapted from a manga is just it's advertisement, irrespective of it's ending.
-Weren't you the one asking the questions?
Mar 5, 2016 8:15 PM

Sep 2009
Reality is boring and mundane; plus, we live in this shit. It would certainly be a crime to attempt to make entertainment just as boring.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Mar 5, 2016 8:17 PM

Apr 2015
*kicks down the door*
Police: Get down. THIS IS THE POLICE!
Sunrise: Oh shit what did I do?!!
Police: You didn't give Code Geass a 'real' ending.
Sunrise: I have rights damm it. I HAVE RIGHTS!!
Police: Tell that to the judge. You sick fuck.
*cuffs Sunrise*

No.... It's not a crime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 5, 2016 8:27 PM
Jan 2015
vikki7783 said:
it's not a crime.
the end.

If you want to be nitpcky about words, you should really do your research first. "Crime" has more than one meaning and is often used to describe something that is foolish and senseless. It does not have to be related to law.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/crime
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/crime
Will_WrightMar 5, 2016 8:32 PM
Mar 5, 2016 8:49 PM

May 2015
the ending is whatever the creator, producers, or the network wants it to be; that doesnt mean itll always please the fans

there were always be haters regardless
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Mar 5, 2016 8:53 PM

Sep 2012
When the substance of your story amounts to advertising and promoting a bunch of hollow character designs with copy-and-paste personalities for consumption, significantly altering them in any way, be it personality wise or inter-relationship wise, through the course of the storyline isn't a great business plan.

People see Oreos on the box, and when they open it, they want a box full of Oreos. And they want to leave the table with a stomach full of nothing but Oreos.
Mar 5, 2016 9:01 PM

Jul 2014
Will_Wright said:
vikki7783 said:
it's not a crime.
the end.

If you want to be nitpcky about words, you should really do your research first. "Crime" has more than one meaning and is often used to describe something that is foolish and senseless. It does not have to be related to law.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/crime
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/crime

oh goodness, I deeply apoplogize for making a mistake in the random post I came up with in about 3 seconds. surely, this means the destruction of the world as we know it.
Mar 5, 2016 9:03 PM

Aug 2015
No for most cases. But yes , it's a crime when it's an ending like OreImo or Akame ga Kill

More topics from this board

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 48 minutes ago

9 by tchitchouan »»
34 seconds ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 39 minutes ago

3 by TeBaTe »»
3 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

22 by DigiCat »»
4 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

32 by mentalmondai »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 1 hour ago

13 by -YaoiBoy- »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.