Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 31, 2016 7:00 AM

Apr 2008
To feel the feels I severely lack in real life.

You are afraid to die, and you're afraid to live. What a way to exist.
Neale Donald Walsch

Jan 31, 2016 7:12 AM

Jun 2015
I think that some people either relate to it, or some others just wanna feel better for themselves and their lives, thus watching someone's life going downhill gives you hope.

But some people just enjoy drama/tragedy.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Jan 31, 2016 7:43 AM

Jun 2008
A show gets better imo if it makes me feel all the feels.
Jan 31, 2016 8:31 AM

Jul 2013
I like more bittersweet anime. That's all I have to say but it isn't enough fucking characters.
Jan 31, 2016 4:03 PM

May 2010
I like it when anime breaks my heart from time to time, it's so refreshing.
Jan 31, 2016 4:11 PM

Aug 2015
I blame Evangelion.
It's the one that started the trend...
Jan 31, 2016 4:14 PM
Mar 2015
I like sad animes because I feel it's where animes shine the most. Idk, I just like crying to a good anime.
Jan 31, 2016 4:19 PM
May 2013
Can you guys give me some of your fav sad ones I've seen a couple of good ones?
Jan 31, 2016 4:26 PM

Jan 2016
jmonegro0429 said:

Well.. There is Clannad with it's sequel... Mirai Nikki's ending is weird, but it got me. Angel Beats is a good one too.. Elfen Lied.. Fate/stay Night ending got me. Code Geass kinda too.. It's both a sad and a happy ending.
Some ppl might argue, but for me those are the best ones.
All i want in life is a yandere girlfriend and anime.
Jan 31, 2016 4:34 PM

Sep 2014
I think in contrary anime fans do not like sad things in anime that cannot be helped...

They just cant deal with it...

Thats why people liked Clannad after story, THE SHOW WASNT SAD LIKE EVERYONE THINKS...
Every one liked becuz despite using sad things, it denied all that later, with a ridiculously magic ending...

And why every one loves Code Geass, Lelouchdug his own grave, he should have had a tragic ending dying, but the director knows how sensitive anime fans are and let he get away....
Smoke Weed Everyday
Jan 31, 2016 4:37 PM

Sep 2009
Jan 31, 2016 4:51 PM

Jul 2014
Because people wanted FEELS in their cartoons.
Jan 31, 2016 4:53 PM

Dec 2012
I don't generally enjoy depressing works, though there are a few exceptions.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 31, 2016 4:58 PM

Jun 2015
I usually find that tragic anime/manga have a good story. Clannad, Orange, Shigatsu, Basara, Romeo x Juliet, Berserk, etc. all shows and manga that have very intriguing yet tragic story lines.

Also, I always catch myself going, "OH? This anime/manga has TRAGEDY? Well, it's a MUST READ THEN. Don't worry, I can totally swallow down tragedy. One of my favorite genres actually."

And I'm wrong every single time. If I didn't, for some reason, cry in the middle of a tragic series, then I'll for sure cry at the end of it. Sometimes I'm left with an aching hole of emptiness and nothingness that lingers for weeks, leaving me unable to enjoy any other anime I'll watch in that time of depression.
Jan 31, 2016 5:01 PM

Jan 2016
ixaa said:
I usually find that tragic anime/manga have a good story. Clannad, Orange, Shigatsu, Basara, Romeo x Juliet, Berserk, etc. all shows and manga that have very intriguing yet tragic story lines.

Also, I always catch myself going, "OH? This anime/manga has TRAGEDY? Well, it's a MUST READ THEN. Don't worry, I can totally swallow down tragedy. One of my favorite genres actually."

And I'm wrong every single time. If I didn't, for some reason, cry in the middle of a tragic series, then I'll for sure cry at the end of it. Sometimes I'm left with an aching hole of emptiness and nothingness that lingers for weeks, leaving me unable to enjoy any other anime I'll watch in that time of depression.

I actually agree, it's also so much this ^
All i want in life is a yandere girlfriend and anime.
Jan 31, 2016 5:06 PM

Sep 2010
Happy anime is usually shit and/or boring.
Feb 1, 2016 12:51 AM

May 2015
Ninius said:

You clearly haven't seen Stella's Women Academy or Squid Girl or Galaxy Angel.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 1, 2016 1:48 AM
Sep 2014
Most likely i want a good cry but i hate the aftertaste of the show. I hated the feeling after Clannad and Shigatsu. I felt broken for days after. I prefer a comedy way over the sad ones since its better to cry from laughter than from sadness.
Feb 1, 2016 3:30 AM

Apr 2015
nothing can make you cry like anohana
Feb 1, 2016 4:01 AM

Sep 2010
TheBrainintheJar said:
Ninius said:

You clearly haven't seen Stella's Women Academy or Squid Girl or Galaxy Angel.

I said usually :P Azumanga Daioh is one of my fav anime bruh :D
Feb 1, 2016 5:36 AM

Jan 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
Nikechu said:

Interesting point of view, but as you can see in this thread, then alot and I mean alot of people have different opinions on this subject. In my opinion I am just watching any genre anime, including the sad ones. Thus it feels like I have no time to watch all the anime ever made. I've even started watching Studio Ghibli's anime from scratch, anyway my point is different, it's hard to just group people who likes dramatic/sad movies/anime.

Sure, but what's the point of not listening to other people's opinions and why they like something? Maybe they can show you something you missed? Maybe you'll just get something interesting to think about?

The whole point of communication is exchanging thoughts and ideas.

Fine, I get what you're saying. I guess it's the same thing with me, never, ever, did I think that I'd like slice of life anime, I always thought that it'd be boring as hell, like "where's the action?". That's when I came across Non Non Biyori, might sound fun, laugh at me if you want, but it was just the anime I needed, even if it contradicted what I previously thought. It just got that nice slow pace that I needed, with a perfect mix of comedy, slice of life, culture, yes even school, atleast in my opinion. Up to that point everything I'd watch was just packed with action, adventure, excitement...

With that said, then there's also a reason to why I've gotten into romance anime lately as well, same thing as earlier, I never gave romance anime a thought, I merely ignored them. Even if I've only been here a short time, then I've already gotten a bit curious about the romance anime, just by reading the anime manga recommendation list. I guess some part of me unconsciously wants to listen to other peoples opinions.

So yeah, sorry about what I said earlier, I guess there's truth to what you said earlier.
Feb 1, 2016 5:41 AM
Sep 2014
Because I can relate to sad characters and happy characters get on my nerves. Only if they fake to be happy then I can forgive them.
Feb 1, 2016 7:46 AM

Dec 2014
I think I can explain my reason.
I really genuinly love good fantasy stories (anime / novel / film anything), and my secondary favourite genres are mytery and sci-fi (not mecha!).
And sometimes you get "bored" of the genres you enjoy the most, because, you just can't handle that much similarity, that much similar patterns etc.
So when I need a break I look for something my genres lack:
1, Overloaded feelings, sensitivity and descisions based on pure feelings,.
2, Something real (it makes me watch things like sport animes for example)
3, I want some serious lovestory. (ok ther are some realy good within my top genres, but lets face it, a genre based on lovestories and human feelings are a little bit better at it)
Feb 1, 2016 7:54 AM

Feb 2015
I think for some people it's because of the way they feel/felt (at least it is for me). I don't know any other reasons but maybe it helps.
Feb 1, 2016 7:58 AM

Jun 2011
One word: Catharsis.

jmonegro0429 said:
Grave of the Fireflies. A Ghibli movie.
Feb 1, 2016 8:44 AM

Feb 2013
You could say Catharsis is the best answer, but the vicissitudes of the tragic genre on the asian culture has different origins and means of conveying emotion than the western culture.

The focus on the isolation of the redefined self and interpersonal correlations with space and time define the core of the asian drama (the spiderweb)

You can see this features on the works of the kabuki dramaticist Chikamatsu Monzaemon (and many others from that time), and even though with cross culture influences the way of the tragedy began to blend with western facets, you can always catch glimps of the ancient asian tragedy culture, like with Osamu Dazai (although influenced by the bildungsroman essence).

So the feeling and motives are quite similar, but the way to convey those, are inherently different.
Feb 1, 2016 3:37 PM

Jun 2012
Perhaps ever since IRONCLAD err I mean CLANNAD got such widespread acclaim for being a tearjerker (though it's more of a mix between comedy and sad moments), people seem to love tearjerking drama anime very much and considered them "legendary" without looking closely on the pros and cons of the show they're watching. No wonder Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso did so well in this site regardless of how average it actually is. That also includes Angel Beats, to some extent. AnoHana? I haven't watched it.

To be frank, I rarely shed manly tears while watching CLANNAD, except in Episode 18 of Afterstory. Y'know what happened there. Yeah, unfortunately, Episode 16's tearjerking moment is only a close second for me.

Don't get me wrong, I do like CLANNAD. While it's one of my favorite series, I believe that it is not as "legendary" as people make it out to be. An amazing series, indeed, but not truly "legendary".
"All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu."

However, in Gundam, all life begins with Nu and ends with Hi-Nu. While in KanColle, all life begins with Nu and ends with Kinu.
Feb 1, 2016 3:49 PM

Mar 2014
I'm always impressed when a show can evoke an emotional reaction, it's not always what I look for, but sometimes I want that catharsis.

Angel Beats! worked, despite how contrived it was, most likely because I was in the mood for that type of show.

5 Centimeters per Second was beautiful, the focus of on the relationship, the cinematography, and the way distance was explored drove all it's pathos home.

Oddly enough, the most emotional anime for me was Ping Pong. The scene were Tsukimoto is practicing late at night with his coach, then it jumps to Kong, alone, and practicing against a machine, was genuinely sad.this is something that kind only be accomplished with well written characters and I like getting to experience that.
Feb 1, 2016 3:57 PM

Dec 2014
Bc the feelz are real
too real 4 me
:^(
Feb 1, 2016 3:58 PM
Jan 2016
Sad stories are a easy way to find depth and great character development. Plus, all because a series is sad doesn't mean it doesn't have a happy ending.
Feb 1, 2016 4:06 PM

Jul 2014
I love tragic endings but I hate wannabe sad shows like AnoHana that try way too hard to be sad. I've just always preferred tragic endings to happy endings because they make me 'bond' with the characters and storyline more. I think about a tragic ending more than about a happy ending. And I just seriously hate it when an anime that was sad and tragic 9/10 times suddenly has the cheesiest, happiest ending ever. It just doesn't feel right. I like happy anime with happy endings, and sad anime with sad endings.
Feb 1, 2016 7:10 PM

Aug 2007
Sometimes, if that anime have a good sad story, Yes, I like them. Like example, Shigatsu kimi wa uso was a good anime. It has a good story, amazing music and animation. Ano Hana is also a good sad anime.
Feb 1, 2016 7:38 PM

Aug 2013
Assuming we used emotion from Inside Out

Fear :
Horror anime not really my cup of tea unless is psychological. I think it best if you watch it with other (i always watch anime alone). Additionally, because we know that anime is not real, it just not feel the same like watching live action horror movie.

Suspense however, it really good / fine for me. Except if you binge watch / marathoning the series, the effect is much weaker. (refer to my signature)

Disgust:
So you have gore / gross stuff anime. I dunno how people can enjoy this kind of stuff tbh. So this type is big NO for me.

Ecchi is middle ground for me. If it flashing panties left and right, I probably disgust with it. But if it done subtlety or innocently, I will think it as cute / moe.

Anger:
This one is hard to judge, probably happen if you the anime have this annoying a*hole character or something you really hate.

Probably there is no such thing as anime that can 100% invoke anger.

Joy:
Usually slice of life have this. tbh, although I liked to watch many CGDCT or SoL, it never feel long impact after watching each series. It is rarely for me to be joyful for couple of day after the series, because end of series will also bring emptyness.

Many best type of Joy for me is when I feel like I want to be like character in the series. This including MC from Gin no Saji, Uchuu Kyoudai and Shougeki no Souma when kinda want to try it in real life (and probably those who want to do saitama's routine)

Sadness
For some reason, if there heartbreak scene in anime and condition is right, I can feel build up inside. So not all anime able to do that, like I didnt cry during Rainbow series because probably the character design / atmosphere doesnt match with my taste, and it ended too quickly.

Most impact for me probably when they put the sad scene in very last episode. Usually I will feel very emotional and stopped watching series for few hours.

tl;dr
Nah, i dont think sharing anime ratings in signature is cool thing.

Here, stare at this pointless signature instead.
Feb 1, 2016 8:21 PM

Dec 2015
If I'm going for realism what else could I pick other than sad ?
Feb 1, 2016 8:33 PM

Aug 2014
Sometimes they give you a warm feeling, or you're just in the mood of it. But mostly because you want to see something memorable tbh (shigatsu)
Feb 1, 2016 11:44 PM
Dec 2014
Anime is able to tear you only if you can relate to it in any way. Like death of a family member or fighting with parents. Some people who didn't go trough such things might not be able to relate to anime and therefore enjoy it.

Also, what makes sad anime enjoyable is that if we are able to relate to it, we can understand our own situation more. Like, sad love story might give us some ideas about what we should/shouldn't have done or said. It's like our own reflection.

And about "legendary" Clannad. Clannad is famous because it has few of those sad moments, and at least one of them is similar to someone's situation. I guess this is what mostly gets into our heads the most.

And it's ending is not what it looks like at first sight. This video has some insights on it, It's not so obvious without going trough the original visual novel.
Feb 1, 2016 11:52 PM
Jan 2016
What i'm going to say is my opinion, no hate pls. ( mostly talking about myself, i don't know if this includes other people )

I prefer to watch sad anime because of the story/plot, i think it's beautiful to see how a normal life can turn into ''that''.
Sometimes i hope that i was in that kind of ''story'' my everyday life is boring af.
Feb 1, 2016 11:58 PM

May 2015
saulens22 said:
Anime is able to tear you only if you can relate to it in any way. Like death of a family member or fighting with parents. Some people who didn't go trough such things might not be able to relate to anime and therefore enjoy it.

Also, what makes sad anime enjoyable is that if we are able to relate to it, we can understand our own situation more. Like, sad love story might give us some ideas about what we should/shouldn't have done or said. It's like our own reflection.

And about "legendary" Clannad. Clannad is famous because it has few of those sad moments, and at least one of them is similar to someone's situation. I guess this is what mostly gets into our heads the most.

And it's ending is not what it looks like at first sight. This video has some insights on it, It's not so obvious without going trough the original visual novel.

Anime needs more than just being able to relate to you. It needs to take the event and do something interesting or insightful with it. Don't just kill a character, but show how what death means. Great anime can make you understand something you didn't experience.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 2, 2016 12:07 AM
Jan 2016
I think its because you can relate more to the characters, and hence when the character goes from to the "Eternally Sad" state to the "Somewhat less sad" state (this happens in all sad anime I believe, Clannad, Angel Beats, Shingetsu being the examples) you can find some hope your life will get better too.
Feb 2, 2016 4:03 AM

Jun 2015
I prefer sad anime, because life is sad and terrible and sometimes, instead crying over my own life, I want to cry over someone's tragedy.
"Wissen sie was? I got bored with life"
Jul 23, 2019 2:31 AM
Jul 2018
I love to connect with the characters and imagine what they are going through. If everything is happy and light, I get bored soon and I just love to cry... apparently.
Although I love a good mix of drama and comedy too.
Jul 23, 2019 2:47 AM

Aug 2017
tragedy is my absolute favorite genre. not even just for anime, but for everything. i would argue that it's because i don't hate sadness, but instead, i hate the things in my real life that cause me to be sad. sadness (at least for me) is one of the strongest emotions. feeling something so profound is almost satisfying in a way. to be able to feel such a strong emotion without anything bad actually happening to me irl is ideal. it's kind of like why a lot of people like roller coasters or horror movies. it makes them feel scared. but isn't fear a negative emotion? well, not when you know that you're actually pretty safe. their life is not actually in imminent danger, but it mimics the feeling pretty damn well. same thing for tragedy. it's basically just allowing yourself to feel a strong emotion that would normally be considered negative from a safe enough distance that it won't have a lasting effect on your real life.

or maybe i'm just an emotional masochist lmao who knows

Jul 23, 2019 2:52 AM
Jul 2018
Because sad animes are more memorable. But I don't like some animes that try too hard to make you cry like Your Lie in April, jeez that doesn't work on me. I like the ones that have an actual plot and gets tragic endings.
Jul 23, 2019 5:02 AM

Jun 2019
I like watching them on occasion because they make me emotional, and therefore are memorable to me.

I wouldn't say I 'prefer' them though, or that I watch them often.

Jul 23, 2019 5:29 AM

Feb 2016
Because they're way too happy IRL. needs fantasizing some sad moments to balance their emotion
Jul 23, 2019 7:36 AM

May 2019
I just like a good cry sometimes. Sometimes it's nice to leave out your emotions. Also, a lot of sad animes I just find the stories lines interesting and usually real. Some people like watching sad animes just because it's relatable (some of them).
Jul 23, 2019 2:29 PM
Mar 2017
Touchy subject for me, not that I'm special and the only one feeling that way, but i can get pretty emotional despite my outward appearance and Sad\Emotional Anime can really get these reactions out of me.
do i like it? no. do i enjoy it? also no.
do i find it necessary for some unexplained reason and in hindsight glad that i watched it despite it making me sad for days? yes....
when you take a medicine, or when you go to psychological therapy, you don't enjoy it or like it, but afterwards, you realize you needed it and glad that you did, so i guess it's more or less the same.

but, it still depends on the mood. not too long ago i was on a sad Anime spree and felt my heart heavy and cold as a riverbed rock for weeks upon weeks, but afterwards i was watching(Mostly) fun and light-hearted shows, my most recent ones would be JoJo and Tensei Shitara Slime, and some other(many) seasonal Anime all relatively lighthearted and easy to watch.
Jul 23, 2019 3:08 PM

Oct 2008
It's an endeavour similar to thrill seeking. I and other people like anime that can make a strong impression on us. Wheather it's laughing or crying, as long as it makes us feel strong enough to invoke either of the two the anime has accomplished it's goal. The feeling of sad enough anime to make me cry is proof that the anime is good, same with laughing, suspense, excitement and others.
Jul 23, 2019 3:11 PM

Mar 2018
A lot of people probably said this but I didn't read the replies.

I love sad anime because I hate it. Sounds weird right? It makes a bigger impact and makes it more memorable. It gives me feelings that no one else would know about me. It makes me depressed for days. I prefer sad anime a whole lot more. Hard to put into words but I love them. MAKE ME CRY.

p.s
i like happy stuff aswell obvs
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7165 by Alexioos95 »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime that desparately need a Remaster

ST63LTH - Yesterday

33 by Morphun »»
6 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Apr 26

99 by deg »»
11 minutes ago

» What does the Anime you watch say about you

ST63LTH - 9 hours ago

17 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
11 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 26

52 by isolated-otaku »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.