Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 16, 2015 1:08 PM

Jul 2014
Are they jelous? cause even in the latest episode , when she clearly outplayed kaori, no one except kumiko and her friend, acknowledged Reina.

Is this to create drama or they just assholes?
Shirayuki= Most Perfect Female MC ever
Jun 16, 2015 1:10 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Because they're all a bunch of jealous and salty bitches
Jun 16, 2015 1:24 PM

Mar 2013
Jun 16, 2015 1:29 PM

Dec 2013
I was also surprised by the lack of applause, I was expecting, I dunno, ovations. Eh, Nipponese are cold.
Jun 16, 2015 1:56 PM

Apr 2015
It's seniority.
#CHEXIT
Jun 16, 2015 2:39 PM

Sep 2008
Maybe because she is 1st year?
Maybe because her rival is 3rd year?
Maybe because they still think music teacher favors her?
Jun 16, 2015 3:00 PM

May 2012
LittleStar said:

Pretty much.

It's not like they hate Reina or something, but Kaori is their senpai (seniority BS) and she is very nice and kind, so it's not easy for them to just vote for Reina. Even Reina said it was harder for her win just because Kaori was a truly nice senpai.
I despise woke people.
Jun 16, 2015 3:01 PM
Dec 2011
Usually in the band world, seniors are the stronger players because they have more experience. When I freshman comes in an dominates it upsets the 'status-quo' of the section. Also, many band directors set their bands up by seniority. Koari thought last year that because she was a senior she would be 1st chair and play the solo parts, but with Taki-Sensei, he wants to set up his band ability-wise like you would at college.
Jun 16, 2015 3:34 PM

Sep 2014
Tokoya said:
Because they're all a bunch of jealous and salty bitches
Jun 16, 2015 3:43 PM

Mar 2014
Kaetokiha said:
LittleStar said:

Pretty much.

It's not like they hate Reina or something, but Kaori is their senpai (seniority BS) and she is very nice and kind, so it's not easy for them to just vote for Reina. Even Reina said it was harder for her win just because Kaori was a truly nice senpai.

This. Kaori's a very nice person, and very popular, and she's the senior, AND a lot of the older students probably feel similar to Yuko that she deserves a turn as the soloist after getting screwed out of it last year (not even thinking about the hypocrisy of doing the same to Reina this year when the shoe's on the other foot). Reina's clearly the more talented player, but her personality's much more standoffish and she doesn't make friends easily - Kumiko's really the only friend/ally she has at this point. You might remember some of the girls already complaining about Reina back in episode 4 or 5 because she actually spoke up when Taki-sensei asked for people's opinions about the band (how dare a lowly freshman do that!), and then publicly losing her temper at Yuko and Kaori last episode would've soured people on her even more.

The lack of applause for both performers was telling, since I basically interpreted that as everyone recognizing Reina was better but not wanting to say it, for all the reasons above. I mean, out of 60+ band members, basically three applauded for Kaori and two for Reina - which considering their relative popularity might as well have been three for Kaori and 60 for Reina, for all that it implied.
Jun 16, 2015 3:49 PM

Sep 2013
Kaetokiha said:
LittleStar said:

Pretty much.

I was surprised as well to see none but Kumiko stood up. But I also think it leans more towards them trying to be neutral, even if they did know Reina was better.
Jun 16, 2015 3:51 PM

Nov 2013
People are petty and jealous. Great episode, though.
Jun 16, 2015 6:33 PM

Aug 2009
Saying "people are just stupid/jealous" is a bit easy.
Their is more to it, it's a mix of actual bullshit and valid opinions, along with quite a context.

Kousaka is rather cold, not very empathic. She wants to be the best and it's ok, but when you choose this path you have to step on others at some point. Of course some people will not like you, it's not that they are jealous or anything, it's just natural.

Yeah obviously it's not just her fault, classmates aren't acting like adults, but maybe that's because they are not. School is also a place to play & learn social interactions, it becomes easily a mess on that point.
By the way on this subject, Kousaka departs herself from the group, goes alone most of the time, it can easily looks haughty.

Also Kaori is their senpai, kind, with a warm hearth, doing her best, caring for others.. I can't blame these kids for what happened honnestly, it's just natural.
Not saying it's logic, but it's realistic. They're not adult pro' musicians putting music only before anything else (and even with adults & pro you can see that kind of thing).

Well it probably didn't need that much explanation but honnestly, while I like Kousaka, ignoring context and calling these kids "jealous and salty bitches" is stupid, yeah silly things happened but it's not that simple.
Jun 16, 2015 6:34 PM

Dec 2012
She doesn't exactly help herself by being honest with the salt platoon
Jun 16, 2015 7:27 PM

Feb 2014
Everybody acknowledged Reina was more fit, you don't have to do the american way to recognize someone as good/talented. The lack of clap was because the club didn't wanted to create any bad mood or polarize themselves after finally getting their shit together. If you pay attention, people open their eyes during Reina's turn, and they even sparkle a little but then they get hesitant wether to clap or not. Its even debatable if Kumiko clapped because she thought it was better fit or because of "friendship" and I really have no clue because she is a false person in the end.
Jun 16, 2015 8:57 PM

May 2012
WingKing said:
Kaetokiha said:

Pretty much.

This. Kaori's a very nice person, and very popular, and she's the senior, AND a lot of the older students probably feel similar to Yuko that she deserves a turn as the soloist after getting screwed out of it last year (not even thinking about the hypocrisy of doing the same to Reina this year when the shoe's on the other foot). Reina's clearly the more talented player, but her personality's much more standoffish and she doesn't make friends easily - Kumiko's really the only friend/ally she has at this point. You might remember some of the girls already complaining about Reina back in episode 4 or 5 because she actually spoke up when Taki-sensei asked for people's opinions about the band (how dare a lowly freshman do that!), and then publicly losing her temper at Yuko and Kaori last episode would've soured people on her even more.

The lack of applause for both performers was telling, since I basically interpreted that as everyone recognizing Reina was better but not wanting to say it, for all the reasons above. I mean, out of 60+ band members, basically three applauded for Kaori and two for Reina - which considering their relative popularity might as well have been three for Kaori and 60 for Reina, for all that it implied.

True.
Everyone would have applauded for Kaori if they didn't like Reina. It was a hard choice for almost everyone (i'll get there), having to choose to applaud for their kind senpai or for the best player.

What i don't really like is Asuka and Midori not applauding...

Asuka even though she is a close friend to Kaori, said she doesn't care who would play the solo part, but as usual she didn't take any side. While it can be understandable (they are friends) i think she is as it stands, the worst character. She never takes any sides and always hide her feelings. She basically has no personality. (yeah i know they will probably come up with some past drama to support her current way of doing things)

Why Midori didn't applaud?
Kumiko and Hazuki was applauding, so she didn't had any reason to not do so as well. It's true that Hazuki and Midori are not Reina friends like Kumiko is, but they clearly have nothing against her and since Reina was WAY better than Kaori (so no need to be biased), the most obvious thing to do there was to follow Kumiko and Hazuki. This was more of a plot device probably (2 votes for each one), but it was dumb.
KaeUBWJun 16, 2015 9:03 PM
I despise woke people.
Jun 16, 2015 8:57 PM

Aug 2013
Because every band member in this show is a fucking retard. They choose popularity over skill.

They literally cant comprehend that people playing longer than 1-3 years are not as good as someone who has been playing their whole life.

Oh the senpai's must be experts at their instrument, even if they've barely been playing. Then when someone who actually doesn't suck shows up it throws the band into chaos. Especially the first years who all thought that even though they touched an instrument 3 times that they were the second coming of Christ.
Jun 20, 2015 7:38 PM

Jun 2015
It upset their expectations.

They don't truly hate Reina, as much as the love Kaori more. Kaori was helpful, kind, and tried to mediate the last year's struggles, putting her solidly in their hearts.

Intellectually they know Reina needs to play for best performance, but they still hurt for Kaori.

Everyone's mind and heart collided.
Jun 21, 2015 12:31 PM
Jan 2012
abyss333 said:
Are they jelous? cause even in the latest episode , when she clearly outplayed kaori, no one except kumiko and her friend, acknowledged Reina.

Is this to create drama or they just assholes?

I think it's VERY CLEAR that they do acknowledge Reina is the better player after hearing the two play, judging from their facial expressions. That, and making a tough verdict on the good Senpai, is another matter. The 2nd graders particularly know well what Kaori had been enduring last year, and was thus hesitant (did not want to take the responsibility) to give a verdict.

Kaori-senpai must admit "defeat" if she is an honest musician. Like a true samurai, she needed a seppuku/harakiri after a grand battle (which she just "had to" fight although she probably knew she would lose no matter how she tried), but needed an aide (kaishaku) to chop her head to ease her pain. Taki-sensei was a good aide, and Kaori-senpai performed an honorable seppuku, like a true samurai should.
GohanwaOkazuJun 21, 2015 12:42 PM
Jul 22, 2015 9:16 PM

Mar 2014
WingKing said:
Kaetokiha said:

Pretty much.

Thank you for this.
This was never as simple as "they are jealous" and it kinda pisses me off how people dumb it down to that because it's so much more.
I never picked any sides either but you can't help but feel for Kaori, especially with how Reina reacts to things around, more often than not I found myself asking if Reina ever truly enjoyed what she did, you never see her crack a smile or anything when she's playing, is that a good thing, a bad thing? Who knows but it shows that Kaori is really enjoying herself, that she should be rewarded in some way too, even if she doesn't "deserve" it.
Add to that that Reina doesn't seem to make friends that easily and the only moments we see her "out of character" is with Kumiko (which I personally don't like, I don't like how they make Reina different when she's with Kumiko, the show is trying to make me feel different, perhaps more sympathetic for Reina, trying to say "look, this is how she really is!" but who cares, who cares about that when you're just going to do it with your only friend and shut off from the rest of the world because you want to be "special" and don't want to be a part of the "normal people"?), it's no wonder people don't support her.

Like, is Reina a good rolemodel? Is she the example of how one should go about things when it comes to music? Step over everyone and not care about a thing? Is that how we should go about life in general? Because I imagine that's how Reina does everything. Is becoming "special" a good thing? Is it worth it? Should we encourage this? If one day they have kids or whatever, is that how they are going to teach them? "Don't let anyone hold you back"? But is it ok to be held back at all?
And I gotta say I disliked Kumiko's development in that regard, how she slowly because like Reina a bit but maybe she was always like her too, maybe just not as aware of it, probably why Reina said she had a terrible personality, not only because they are similar but because Kumiko couldn't at least live up to the way she really is. But I don't know, I say this but it's not like we're destined to have a certain personality, Kumiko could have taken another path, maybe if she never met Reina she would, but whether that's better or not is up to each one of us.
But we're also viewing both side heres, we're the middleman, surely if I was in either position I'd probably not take the other side into consideration so much, so I can't blame anyone.

This is what they get for making the nationals their goal, but at the same time, I don't blame any of them because that was, and always will be, an unfair question.
Paulo27Jul 22, 2015 9:29 PM
Jul 22, 2015 9:26 PM

Nov 2013
because she's the best girl.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2015

453 by Hearn »»
Apr 24, 9:26 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2015

394 by shichirouji »»
Apr 22, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2015

193 by BritishBlitz87 »»
Apr 18, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2015

286 by luisfunes99 »»
Apr 2, 9:04 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 5, 2015

242 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Mar 28, 3:47 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.