Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 3, 2014 2:20 AM
Dec 2013
Because it has a great formula for an escapism show.
Jul 3, 2014 6:57 AM
Dec 2011
kramXD said:
because billions of NEETS all over the world relate to shiro and sora

and i'm so fucking proud that i am not a fucking NEET

No Season 2 No Fucking Life

This is an insult to NEETs, and non-NEETs who love this show

and"No Season 2 No Fucking Life"?
That is basically saying you want season 2 to happen LOL
Jul 3, 2014 7:01 AM

Dec 2013
Anyway, I realized that i don't really care if people think this is overrated,a masterpiece, or a piece of trash, or if they think that since i gave it a 10, i'm a lonely otaku that spends hours talking about waifus and that desires to be the mc or smth. I LOVED every second of it and i'm gonna rewatch it a thousand times,them i'm gonna go back to the forums and rejoice while watching some desperated people that are basically "anti-fun actvists". I recommend the rest of NGNL fans do the same.With all this popularity, S2 is not that far alway :)

Sora x Jibril FTW
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jul 3, 2014 7:01 AM

Dec 2013
mirailianil said:
kramXD said:
because billions of NEETS all over the world relate to shiro and sora

and i'm so fucking proud that i am not a fucking NEET

No Season 2 No Fucking Life

This is an insult to NEETs, and non-NEETs who love this show

and"No Season 2 No Fucking Life"?
That is basically saying you want season 2 to happen LOL
This also rests my case.
FragOutFire said:

Jul 3, 2014 10:59 AM

Aug 2013
Forgetfulness said:
GarLogan78 said:
I don't really understand what self-insert characters are. Couldn't almost any main lead in a harem or shonen series be one then, because they are surrounded by a desirable/cool situation?
I think it refers specifically to characters who are in an amazing situation by doing pretty much nothing or something that anybody can do. Thus, the viewers can pretend that something similar can happen to them
i.e. MC is nice to girls -> gets a harem would probably be an example

In this particular thread though, I'm pretty sure DrGeroCreation is using the term wrong
No I'm not because Gary Stus are often times self insert characters http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SelfInsertFic
Jul 3, 2014 11:30 AM

Aug 2013
Forgetfulness said:
DrGeroCreation said:
No I'm not because Gary Stus are often times self insert characters http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SelfInsertFic
How can anybody pretend to be Sora or Shiro though? They have intelligence far beyond any living person
I guess the same way some kids pretend to be Superman even though no one in reality can fly and shoot lasers out their eyes.
Jul 3, 2014 11:48 AM

Feb 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
Forgetfulness said:
How can anybody pretend to be Sora or Shiro though? They have intelligence far beyond any living person
I guess the same way some kids pretend to be Superman even though no one in reality can fly and shoot lasers out their eyes.

Their intelligence seems pseudo-ish though, that one of kind that bad point about NGNL.
With all of that keikaku dorii, it really kill all the tense that had been build up previously.
It's just like playing PES and how you praise yourself too much because you just win against easy computer AI and how people look at them so amazingly because they just didn't know how to play PES. Well, that's how Gary Stu works after all.

Blank is just too strong in that world. I still let it go considering it's just 3rd volume LN. Waiting anyone who can counter their plan.
Jul 3, 2014 12:10 PM

Mar 2008
I don't really understand its popularity, either. I heard some people say they just liked to see the ridiculous ideas Sora came up with. They didn't really come off as clever to me, but rather seemed to rely more on the stars aligning to perform near-impossible actions, rule manipulation, or other highly improbable events to unfold. Almost none of the victories were convincing feats of wit based on the games themselves, and I guess I didn't like that aspect of it. And Sora and Shiro's shit-eating grins take the cake for smug MCs.
Jul 3, 2014 12:10 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
WHY do 'These Threads' keep POPPING UP?
Jul 3, 2014 12:12 PM

Aug 2013
ex_necross said:
NGNL is like the Justin Bieber of anime. Terrible and utter garbage, yet super popular.

Post of the year!
There is nothing more need to say.
I will put it to my signature ^^
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 3, 2014 3:12 PM

Jan 2014
MEanimaniac1 said:
Because Jibril

the word has been spoken.
Jul 3, 2014 3:29 PM

May 2009
rsc-pl said:
ex_necross said:
NGNL is like the Justin Bieber of anime. Terrible and utter garbage, yet super popular.

Post of the year!

Same thing can be said about Elfen lied and whoever was popular 10 years ago.
Jul 3, 2014 3:31 PM
Aug 2012
bastek66 said:
rsc-pl said:

Post of the year!

And Shingeki no Kyojin, SAO, etc.
Jul 3, 2014 7:27 PM
Oct 2012
ex_necross said:

I seriously doubt the demographics of the two overlap in any form.....

Fui said:
I don't really understand its popularity.... Almost none of the victories were convincing feats of wit based on the games themselves, and I guess I didn't like that aspect of it. And Sora and Shiro's shit-eating grins take the cake for smug MCs.

Ah, another person who doesn't doesn't pay attention and then points the finger outwards instead of where it belongs. It was explained in the first, third, and fourth episodes that this wasn't about games. In the fourth episode specifically Sora told Steph that there were no honest games in this world. As for "wits" the Jibiriru game was the best, Sora had his plan in place the episode before they even met Jibiriru when he asked Steph to confirm that the Flugel only played one game.

The chess game was likewise a great game that played off of Kurumi's self image and made perfect sense as did the final game (this one they had dropped hints for 3 episodes before it even started). The weakest was the Reversi game, but that was more due to time limitations than anything else.

But the answer to this thread is easy, why was it so popular, because it was so entertaining. It had drama, comedy, farce, emotions, fun fanservice, great references, Jibiriru, and great animation. What else could one want from an anime?
Jul 3, 2014 7:36 PM

Jul 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
What else could one want from an anime?

Well-balanced and fleshed-out characters with depth.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Jul 3, 2014 7:43 PM
Oct 2012
JabonHR said:
Takuan_Soho said:
What else could one want from an anime?

Well-balanced and fleshed-out characters with depth.

Well balanced is boring, complaining about this is like complaining why so many anime and animation MC's have a dead mother.

As for "fleshed out", for a 12 episode comedy, all the characters were pretty much fleshed out well. Sora, Shiro, Steph, Kurumi, Fi, Jibiriru and Izutana were all distinct characters, with their quirks and strengths well articulated.
Jul 3, 2014 7:59 PM
Oct 2012
Forgetfulness said:
And virtually no background and/or development except for Steph

What are you talking about? Sora's stepmother was Shiro's mother, both had issues dealing with other people because both were "special". Sora was able to pretend to fit in and was great at manipulating people, but Sora cured him of that. Jibiriru was a created weapon. Kurumi was an indentured slave, her ancestors were some of the humans who lost out after the world changed and the elves were able to use their magic to become the most powerful race. Fie is one of those "self hating" aristocrats who despite being born into a position of power actually dislikes the comfort being an elite provided and finds more interest in the "lower classes". Izu was likewise blessed with gifts and was set most likely to become the successor to the Miko, but found the isolation and the duty of caring for all her race overwhelming.

And all this was just from the animation, I can only imagine how much more in depth the novels were.
Jul 4, 2014 3:19 AM

May 2014
Forgetfulness said:
Very few details are given on what actually happened regarding their past and they don't really show how events unfolded for them to develop into their current state.
Not to mention those pasts aren't reflected on their current personalities, since they are perfect OP geniuses with no flaws.
You know they're going to win, the writer has to set up the illusion that the opponent so too powerful for them, when at the end shows the contrivances solution to beating them, and it's always: "Ha, you feel into my trap, I planned this from the very beginning."
It gets repetitive with time and looks more and more like a random asspull the writer made up for our protagonists to win. Once that illusion is broken, the tension is gone, they're going to win, or at most have a draw(but only when they want it to be ofc).

"But they are flawed, they always have to be together!" -retconned the last few episodes, don't tell me it's a game so it doesn't count, Sora is 10 blocks away from Shiro battling Izuna. It's a virtual reality, it feels like the real world, Sora and Shiro are so scared of, they have to overcome their own beliefs, instincts and shatter this illusion and be sure that they are next to each other in the capsules. Some discomfort and shock would be nice.

Looking at it now, that's not such a big flaw, and exploiting it over and over will also get tiresome. And Shiro was supposed to be brains, yet Sora comes up with all the strategies to actually beating people. He excuses his imouto complex with "I live for the intelligence potential of humanity". That's some fucked value you have there buddy, and you're preaching it to the audience?

Sure it can make sense all it wants, but what it says is an entirely different matter.
Jul 4, 2014 4:24 AM

May 2009
Forgetfulness said:

Wow, is it first time you noticed that it happens with adaptations of ongoing material?
In volume 6 we learn that
Jul 4, 2014 4:32 AM

May 2014
@bastek66
U srs? Hah, seems fitting, doesn't make it any less ridiculous or more believable.
Jul 4, 2014 5:21 AM
Mar 2012
bastek66 said:
Forgetfulness said:

Wow, is it first time you noticed that it happens with adaptations of ongoing material?

That's pretty irrelevant in terms of character development - you have to judge then anime on its own merits there and there is none in NGNL. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, the show is entertaining and lots of character development would weigh it down - but it also makes the show much shallower.

I enjoyed this show, I'll say that now. It was funny, colourful and the characters were pretty enjoyable.

Is it worth the rating that it has? No. It hasn't got much depth, whilst the characters are funny they aren't that unique and the music was forgettable. Also, the plot never really grabbed me, again it was entertaining but I was rarely on the edge of my seat.

I'm disappointed to see this being rated so highly and hope it drops down to a more realistic rating soon, it is certainly not a masterpiece. There are a few plot flaws and scenes which weakened the series, but as I said it is entertaining. But that's just it, it was a fun series but not something that I would spend hours thinking about.

I don't think this show needed much extra depth or to try and force an emotional response from the audience, it's nice to have an over powered set of characters to lead the show and not worry about the small details ever now and then. But that doesn't make the show better - it just makes it fill a void that gets left by good storytelling.

tl;dr it's a good enjoyable show. If you don't like it that's fine, but I think that you're trying to make it into more than it is - it's an OTT power fantasy and if you treat it as such you'll probably enjoy it. You could even call it a junk anime, but if you do it's at the top end of 'junk' anime.

But get it the fuck off the top 50.
Jul 4, 2014 5:47 AM

May 2014
@Kreion

By now you shouldn't give a fuck about MAL rankings when Gintama is dominating the top 10.
Otherwise, you're on point.
T3hSourceJul 4, 2014 6:14 AM
Jul 4, 2014 10:23 AM

Apr 2013
bastek66 said:
rsc-pl said:

Post of the year!

Blasphemy. Elfen lied was a masterpiece!
Jul 4, 2014 10:34 AM

Jul 2013
Cupquake said:
bastek66 said:

Blasphemy. Elfen lied was a masterpiece!

Kouta's just too alpha for everyone.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Jul 4, 2014 11:05 AM

Nov 2013
Forgetfulness said:
bastek66 said:

Oh, so because other anime have fucked up, that excuses NGNL's flaws? #logic
No. He means it's still ongoing, aka "incomplete" you can't really judge it now.
It's like watching 9 episodes of S;G then saying it sucks and dropping it.
Jul 4, 2014 11:14 AM
Aug 2013
cayse people like it
Jul 4, 2014 11:21 AM

Aug 2013
Besides Kurami and Izuna the other characters didn't undergo any character development especially in the case of Sora and Shiro. Sora and Shiro at the beginning of the anime are no different at the end of the anime in terms of character.
Jul 4, 2014 11:24 AM

Jan 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
Besides Kurami and Izuna the other characters didn't undergo any character development especially in the case of Sora and Shiro. Sora and Shiro at the beginning of the anime are no different at the end of the anime in terms of character.

Character development isnt mandatory for a show to be entertaining.

The purpose of anime is entertainment, not to change your life.
Jul 4, 2014 11:26 AM

Aug 2013
SolviteSekai said:
DrGeroCreation said:

I never said it was.
Jul 4, 2014 11:27 AM

Jan 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
SolviteSekai said:

I never said it was.

This show is popular because it is entertaining.

Entertaining things will always be more popular than profound and intellectual things.

Welcome. To. Life.

Avatar and Titanic are the best selling movies of all time.
Jul 4, 2014 11:33 AM

Aug 2013
SolviteSekai said:
DrGeroCreation said:
I never said it was.

Entertaining things will always be more popular than profound and intellectual things.

Welcome. To. Life.

Character development has nothing to do with being intellectual. Something being entertaining is subjective.
Jul 4, 2014 11:36 AM

Jan 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
SolviteSekai said:

Welcome. To. Life.

Character development has nothing to do with being intellectual. Something being entertaining is subjective.

The vast majority of people found this show entertaining.
Jul 4, 2014 12:13 PM

Nov 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
Based on what LN readers say, the novels may get up to 18 volumes. The anime covered 3. That's 1/6th of the whole thing aka it's just the "tip of the iceberg" as they say.
Jul 4, 2014 12:14 PM

Apr 2013
Botato said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Based on what LN readers say, the novels may get up to 18 volumes. The anime covered 3. That's 1/6th of the whole thing aka it's just the "tip of the iceberg" as they say.
Why does a show like this even need character development? The character are decently fleshed out and I think that's fine.,
Jul 4, 2014 12:16 PM

Nov 2013
Cupquake said:
Botato said:
Why does a show like this even need character development? The character are decently fleshed out and I think that's fine.,
So that people who complain about the characters being bland and uninteresting get what they want = more people enjoy it = less bitching = everyone wins.
Jul 4, 2014 12:17 PM

Apr 2013
Botato said:
Cupquake said:
So that people who complain about the characters being bland and uninteresting get what they want = more people enjoy it = less bitching = everyone wins.
Character development doesn't mean that the characters become not bland and interesting.
Jul 4, 2014 12:21 PM

Nov 2013
Cupquake said:
Character development doesn't mean that the characters become not bland and interesting.
Ok fine, point is there are complaints that the show has it as one of it's "flaws" so it would be nice to "fix" it.
Jul 4, 2014 12:31 PM
Oct 2012
Forgetfulness said:
It doesn't, but when people claim that NGNL's a masterpiece or that it has everything then one has to question the validity of those statements

Saying "there is no character development" when you admit that something doesn't need "character development to be interesting or good" isn't much of a critique.

Besides the statement isn't true, both Sora and Shiro grew up a bit during the series, particularly when they realized that they actually did hurt Steph about her father. Sora cared enough to seek out an answer (which fortunately there was one) to try to make things up to her. That was development, the Sora at the beginning wouldn't have done that. As with Shiro, the same episode, she realized that Sora was starting to like Steph and some of her abuse of Steph was based on her being jealous. Shiro also is becoming friends with Izu, which is the first friend she has ever had.

And the critics above already admitted that Kurumi, Fi, and Izu all developed. So what you all are really doing is moving the goalposts, which means you are wrong.

So there was development. Tons of it? No, but for a 12 episode comedy that is trying to do something else, there was enough to keep things interesting.
Jul 4, 2014 1:06 PM

Nov 2013
Because, unlike Kill la Kill, it doesn't take itself seriously.
Jul 4, 2014 1:09 PM

Jan 2013
When people devote much of their time to defaming a cartoon for the same of defaming it, it gets to the point of obsession.

I bitch about grimdark anime as much as the next guy, but i spread the hate.

Some of you dudes care too much about rankings.
Jul 4, 2014 1:10 PM

Jun 2014
NGNL deserve to be #1

/thread
Jul 4, 2014 1:25 PM

Dec 2013
SolviteSekai said:
When people devote much of their time to defaming a cartoon for the same of defaming it, it gets to the point of obsession.

I bitch about grimdark anime as much as the next guy, but i spread the hate.

Some of you dudes care too much about rankings.
This. Also,"Masterpiece", between many definitions, could mean:Smth that has been given much praise,a work of outstanding creativity,etc. Anyways, i'm done with this thread now,it really got boring a while ago, subjectivity is an actual thing, everyone one is entitled to their own opinion,and the vast majority of people loved this so, whatever suits u boat '-'
FragOutFire said:

Jul 4, 2014 1:28 PM

Jan 2013
Actually a masterpiece is just a certain artists signature work, which he would often display upon wishing for promotion within his guild or whatever.

A masterpiece doesnt have to be perfect. It just has to be that which best displays its creator's wonderful talent.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2014

623 by hsallrounder »»
Apr 28, 5:41 AM

» No Game No Life’s Original Creator Pleads For A Second Season Of The Anime ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 10

58 by Animeistaken »»
Apr 24, 8:33 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cheesekao - Jun 25, 2014

1020 by FarCritical »»
Apr 22, 5:11 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2014

476 by FarCritical »»
Apr 22, 2:47 PM

» Your wishes for this april fool

Jackson_rajkumar - Mar 31

16 by sloth848 »»
Apr 19, 8:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.