Forum Settings
Forums

What are some unfortunate linguistic coincidences in anime?

New
Aug 8, 12:25 AM

May 2020
Every now and then it happens to be the case that a character name, a technique or something or other means something else in your native language. In some cases it may be hard to ignore. Let me give you some examples.

-Luffy calling Sanji his "Kokku" (Cook). Its so stupid and cannot help but laugh at this

-This is probably the one that bothers me the most. In Ginga eiyuu densetsu, characters often refer to the admirals, reinhard etc. as "Kakka" (your excellency), but in Finnish that means poop. It's so common too that its very hard to ignore it, and it can ruin a tense scene for me XD

-A few minor ones. Pucci from stone ocean almost sounds like dick in Greek, The main love interest from grand blue Chisa literally means piss in Greek (Very appealing name for the main heroine yup), "Kunai" the ninja implement means something like "moving it" (I still have flashbacks to my friend making that joke for the duration of my high school life cause there's a similar Greek slang to say someones gay)...

I am probably forgetting some good ones but these are the ones that come to mind immediately. What are some unfortunate coincidences that torment you when you watch anime?
Aug 8, 12:44 AM

Jun 2024
Kuro means black in japanese, but in bulgarian means dick 😁
Aug 8, 12:48 AM

May 2020
Reply to STURRAMAK
Kuro means black in japanese, but in bulgarian means dick 😁
@STURRAMAK Captain Kuro must hit different in bulgarian XD

Also, that brings a whole new meaning to "Kuromaru"
Aug 8, 12:59 AM

Jun 2007
Spanish isn't my native language, but the common insults "baka" and "aho" line up with "vaca" (cow) and "ajo" (garlic). The name Kagome can also resemble "cagóme," which has a poop-related meaning.

Everything that connects to MAL

Contains Ecchi, but not Tagged Ecchi: Part 1 || Part 2 || Part 3

Aug 8, 1:03 AM

Jul 2024
I am a native English speaker and I can't think of anything
Aug 8, 2:11 AM

Nov 2013
Laputa and la puta which means "the whore" in Spanish.

Not an anime, but too good of an example to not mention it. Pokken Tournament is called Pokémon Tekken in Germany since Pokken is too similar to the word "Pocken" which means smallpox in German.

You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Aug 8, 2:26 AM

Apr 2018
Reply to Zalis
Spanish isn't my native language, but the common insults "baka" and "aho" line up with "vaca" (cow) and "ajo" (garlic). The name Kagome can also resemble "cagóme," which has a poop-related meaning.
As a spanish speaker I can say that probably the worst one is when a character is called "Marika" which can be translated to "faggot"
Aug 8, 2:44 AM

May 2019
In french chin chin is like a wine toast or saying cheers when drinking a beverage, its Japanese equivalent is Kampai.

But in Japanese chin chin means dick and Kampai sounds like Cum Pie.
Aug 8, 3:00 AM

Dec 2021
I can think of this one from Hunter x Hunter. ACCOMPANY ON!
Aug 8, 3:02 AM

Nov 2020
rufy ja nega?
nami ja nega?
charlimi
"Are you the strongest because you're Satoru Gojo? Or are you Satoru Gojo because you're the strongest?"~ Suguru Geto

Aug 8, 3:03 AM

Nov 2020
Reply to SaiteiDaOrette
@SaiteiDaOrette oh yeah dude i watched the 2011 version and that was absolutely fucking hilarious man 😭😭😭i was actually dead lol
"Are you the strongest because you're Satoru Gojo? Or are you Satoru Gojo because you're the strongest?"~ Suguru Geto

Aug 8, 3:24 AM

Sep 2016
Shirley nicknaming Lelouch "Lulu" which means "Pee" in German.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Aug 8, 3:30 AM

May 2020
Reply to tchitchouan
In french chin chin is like a wine toast or saying cheers when drinking a beverage, its Japanese equivalent is Kampai.

But in Japanese chin chin means dick and Kampai sounds like Cum Pie.
@tchitchouan Well, technically chin chin only means dick sometimes. I'm not Japanese so I can only say this as an outsider looking in, but while the first interpretation of chin chin with no other context would probably be dick, apparently in certain dialects it can also have other common meanings (Sorry I can't provide an actual example, I just remember hearing this somewhere), and of course even in the common tokyo dialect Chin chin has other meanings like "to beg" (I.e. its the command you give to a dog to get them to stand upright and wag their paws).

Just thought it was interesting enough to mention. A word like Manko for example, as far as I know, does not have any homonyms and so would likely sound dirtier because you are not used to having it mean anything else.
Aug 8, 3:32 AM

May 2020
Reply to Zarutaku
Shirley nicknaming Lelouch "Lulu" which means "Pee" in German.
@Zarutaku In terms german coincidences, this is by far my favourite :)

Aug 8, 3:34 AM

May 2019
Reply to Anjuro
@tchitchouan Well, technically chin chin only means dick sometimes. I'm not Japanese so I can only say this as an outsider looking in, but while the first interpretation of chin chin with no other context would probably be dick, apparently in certain dialects it can also have other common meanings (Sorry I can't provide an actual example, I just remember hearing this somewhere), and of course even in the common tokyo dialect Chin chin has other meanings like "to beg" (I.e. its the command you give to a dog to get them to stand upright and wag their paws).

Just thought it was interesting enough to mention. A word like Manko for example, as far as I know, does not have any homonyms and so would likely sound dirtier because you are not used to having it mean anything else.
@Anjuro Okay, what about Kampai sounding like Cum Pie.
Aug 8, 3:34 AM

May 2020
Reply to SaiteiDaOrette
@SaiteiDaOrette This is actually one of the funniest clips I have seen in a while. The "Accompany on" makes it even better XD
Aug 8, 3:37 AM

May 2020
Reply to tchitchouan
@Anjuro Okay, what about Kampai sounding like Cum Pie.
@tchitchouan Well slight problem with that... its actually kanpai -_-

I guess it kinda sounds like it if you have a dirty mind, but cum pie is not even a phrase that is used (as far as I know).

You need to try Motto Motto to come up with good shimoneta Tchitchouan-kun :)
Aug 8, 3:57 AM

Feb 2016
In the anime "Inuyasha" there is a character called Kagome, which sounds a lot like the word "Cagou-me" in Portuguese. That word is related to poop. In the dubbed version of the anime they even changed the name "Kagome" to "Agome".
Aug 8, 4:02 AM

May 2020
Reply to AppleIceCream
In the anime "Inuyasha" there is a character called Kagome, which sounds a lot like the word "Cagou-me" in Portuguese. That word is related to poop. In the dubbed version of the anime they even changed the name "Kagome" to "Agome".
@AppleIceCream Ngl, Agome is kinda cursed too XD It means "Jaw Eye" in Japanese. Honestly localized names are another huge rabbit hole, I remember so many funny ones too from back when I was a kid (for example, I think the renamed Kuririn to vinnie XDXDXD)
Aug 8, 4:03 AM

Jun 2024
Let me preface this, I know it's not the n word, but it sounds like it...

That one word or phrasing that sounds like the n word. The same thing with Chinese.

Aug 8, 4:09 AM

May 2020
Reply to JustMaya
Let me preface this, I know it's not the n word, but it sounds like it...

That one word or phrasing that sounds like the n word. The same thing with Chinese.

@JustMaya Its funny how the dialogue makes sense even if you interpret nigeru as n-word. NIGERU NDAYO smokey! (smokey is an n-word), NANDAAA ANO OTOKO (What the hell is wrong with this guy?) XD

Apparently in korean dubs its way worse because the word for "you" is the n word XD
Aug 8, 5:04 AM

May 2024
The word or name Hikari is funny to me cuz in Albanian "kar" means dick. We have a hard time pronouncing car in English as well...

Caca, Kaka, Kakka, etc, sound like "kakë" which means poop in my language.
Aug 8, 5:11 AM

Mar 2023
There is a character with the name Tiss wich means pee in Norwegian.
Aug 8, 10:31 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to SimplyBrazen
The word or name Hikari is funny to me cuz in Albanian "kar" means dick. We have a hard time pronouncing car in English as well...

SimplyBrazen said:

No surprise there. Caca is Spanish for poop.
その目だれの目?
Aug 10, 7:21 AM

Mar 2012
Kakka means poop in my language as well.
Steins;Gate has a character called Daru but daru means alcohol here
From the currently airing Shikanoko the op song keeps on repeating "noko noko", it's weird for me to listen since noko means "I don't want" in my language.
Aug 10, 7:54 AM

Jan 2009
"matte" is pronounced a bit different in German, but the German word "Matte" would be "mat" and the Japanese pronunciation sounds more like "warte" in my ears, which is the actual translation. Generally, even with more similar pronounced words like "kita" (Japanese = north) and "Kita" (German = short alternative form for "Kindergarten") I usually don't have any issues with being confused by the words, because the pronunciation is still distinctively different: [kʲi̥ta̠] vs [ˈkiːta]
Also, I'm already used to Japanese loaning words like "Arubeito" restricting themselves only to part-time jobs as opposed to the original "Arbeit" which is a general work or job

Maou_heika said:
Kakka means poop in my language as well.
That's kind of universal, it's also the same in both of mine, though it would be spelt "Kacka" in German, but only used by children who find it easier to say than "Kacke"

Maou_heika said:
Steins;Gate has a character called Daru but daru means alcohol here
I had tried the Visual Novel, but put it on indefinite on-hold, so I don't really recall who Daru was, but that would be a funny coincidence if he is a character who likes to drink alcohol

Maou_heika said:
From the currently airing Shikanoko the op song keeps on repeating "noko noko", it's weird for me to listen since noko means "I don't want" in my language.
I've heard the song in videos, but never knew were it came from, so thanks for bringing it up ^^
How's Shikanoko?
NoboruAug 10, 8:16 AM
Aug 10, 8:02 AM

Jul 2022
Reply to SaiteiDaOrette
@SaiteiDaOrette

Same energy as this clip from Quintessential Quintuplets:

Aug 10, 8:22 AM

Mar 2012
Noboru said:
I had tried the Visual Novel, but put it on indefinite on-hold, so I don't really recall who Daru was, but that would be a funny coincidence if he is a character who likes to drink alcohol
From what I recall, he didn't drink alcohol

Noboru said:
How's Shikanoko?
That's one weird anime, that's all I can say
Aug 10, 8:30 AM

Apr 2016
First thing that came to my mind is that the anime "Shiki" sounds really close to Polish word "siki" which means piss. Also, the Japanese pronunciation of "devil" soounds pretty close to the Polish word "debil", which means moron.
ChroNoiR Episode.0 is the best anime to ever exist

Kanae forever in my heart

Aug 10, 9:29 AM

Jan 2009
Maou_heika said:
Better that way, anyway

Maou_heika said:
Ah I see, the Anime page here on MAL does give the impression that it would include quite a lot of absurdist humor, so it can be a hit or miss depending on whether you like that type of humor and how well it is executed

btw: how similar do Japanese and your language sound from the phonetics? As in do the vowels for example sound similar or rather distinctively different?
Aug 10, 10:35 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to kasgier
First thing that came to my mind is that the anime "Shiki" sounds really close to Polish word "siki" which means piss. Also, the Japanese pronunciation of "devil" soounds pretty close to the Polish word "debil", which means moron.
@kasgier
Débil is Spanish for "weak." Moron is "bobo," which gives an interesting meaning to Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo.
その目だれの目?
Aug 10, 11:10 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to ALEXxAMI
@SaiteiDaOrette

Same energy as this clip from Quintessential Quintuplets:

@ALEXxAMI

Or from the second opening of Death Note

I can't be the only one who mishear "N"gger fucker/sucker" from this.
Aug 10, 11:30 AM
Apr 2024
Not exactly, but in the manga of battle angel alita, a certain character gets bounty and the paper is written in hebrew for anything not important, and it talks about an apartment to buy in Tel Aviv, probably it was something the creator didn't think about but it makes me question the entire world building of the story
Aug 10, 12:26 PM

Jan 2020
Reply to Nivo3041
As a spanish speaker I can say that probably the worst one is when a character is called "Marika" which can be translated to "faggot"
@Nivo3041

Nothing can top this legendary scene.
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Aug 10, 1:08 PM

Nov 2013
I just remembered another example. Quiz Magic Academy: The Original Animation has a character called Malariya. I don't remember how it was pronounced but the spelling should be obvious.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Aug 10, 1:26 PM

Apr 2024
Does this count? It's the first thing that comes to mind.
Aug 10, 3:00 PM

May 2018
What's "undayo", Mr. Joestar?

Aug 10, 3:31 PM

Aug 2021
Senku in my country is "no anus" and Tadano means that the person is offering sex (something like that).

Yesterday, 7:21 AM

May 2018
"Suki" in Japanese is "I love".
"Suki" in Russian is the plural of the most famous Russian word - "suka".
We always lol when we hear this song:

8 hours ago

Mar 2012
Reply to Noboru
Maou_heika said:
Better that way, anyway

Maou_heika said:
Ah I see, the Anime page here on MAL does give the impression that it would include quite a lot of absurdist humor, so it can be a hit or miss depending on whether you like that type of humor and how well it is executed

btw: how similar do Japanese and your language sound from the phonetics? As in do the vowels for example sound similar or rather distinctively different?
Noboru said:
Phonetically my language is quite similar to Japanese
5 hours ago

Jan 2009
Reply to Maou_heika
Noboru said:
Phonetically my language is quite similar to Japanese
@Maou_heika That makes learning to pronounce it easier, but then again, more susceptible to "false friends" in sounds where a similar-sounding word could mean something completely different. It's quite intriguing how the languages are structured
4 hours ago
Feb 2018
there's a girl named "kuu" in haibane renmei, which sounds exactly like "cu", a common slang for "anus" here in brazil

More topics from this board

» Anyone remember the sub elitist The Flaming Freezer?

Tsubaki5386 - Aug 8

23 by funtime43_tr »»
25 seconds ago

» Did you considered "World Theater Masterpiece series" an anime

Kirika_Madeleine - Today

18 by SuperAdventure »»
3 minutes ago

» Shonen being misunderstood on this website

Kenzolo-folk - 1 hour ago

6 by Kenzolo-folk »»
9 minutes ago

» What's one thing in anime you don't understand the appeal of? ( 1 2 )

SimplyBrazen - Aug 9

58 by Tablekun »»
13 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character that you whole-heartedly hate? ( 1 2 )

Misery_xD - Jan 27, 2022

76 by Akenjah »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.