Forum Settings
Forums

What opening gets you pumped to watch the show?

New
Yesterday, 6:09 PM

May 2020
I think there's a difference between a good opening and an opening that gets you in the mood to watch the anime. Its a subtle difference but it exists. Sometimes you like the song but you don't really have that connection to why you like the show.

I think the DBZ opening (cha-la head cha-la) for example is an opening that gets you in the mood to watch DBZ (even though I have technically not seen that opening very much since almost always I find that its cut out). It might sound like a stupid reason but even just that opening shot of gliding over water with what sounds like a jet engine humming is just so dragonball. I don't know why exactly, but somehow it just encapsulates the feeling of dragonball well.

Other examples for me are the first opening of Naruto shippuden (hero's comeback), the gantz opening and the opening to ike! Ina-chuu takkyuubu. For the naruto one I think its a little bit of nostalgia, but moreso I think this opening just captures the anticipation and hype of wanting the anime to finally return, and for a now older naruto to do greater and better things (I mean, I think they called it Hero's comeback for a reason). The gantz anime was not terribly good imo, but the gantz manga is amazing, and somehow this opening manages to remind me of the manga more than the anime. For the last one I think the song is actually kinda meh but the whole thing just has this insane energy that fits the show so well, the nonsensical visuals, that stupid dance with one leg raised up and doing "chops" with both hands, and the lyrics also sell the whole thing. It's a silly opening that is perfect for a silly show. (I could bring up many more, like the first steins gate opening, many of the shingeki no kyojin openings, binary star from GED etc. but you get the idea)

Examples of openings that I think are still good but don't really get me excited to watch the anime are something like Renai circulation (Monogatari), inferno (enen shouboutai), Hitori no yoru (GTO). For the first, I could also put a lot of other monogatari openings but I chose this one as a representative, basically this song feels like nadeko's daydream or something, it doesn't really capture why I like monogatari, I think the only reason you would like this opening is if you like nadeko or you like the song, for me at least it does not get me in a "monogatari mood". The second one I just find is so much more hype than the actual show that its kinda anticlimactic lol XD The energy level in the opening is like Jujutsu kaisen Shibuya arc levels and yet the show does not pay off those expectations. Once again, I think there is a disconect here between what the opening is projecting and what it actually feels like watching the show. For the last one its more of the same, the song is good and there are some visual elements that make you think GTO but this opening has like this pseudo-narrative of onizuka rescuing a phantom woman that resembles fuyutsuki, which doesn't really have anything to do with GTO and never happens in the anime.

So what about you? What openings make you excited to watch the anime?
AnjuroYesterday, 6:15 PM
Yesterday, 6:21 PM

Sep 2018
Any metal Openings, especially if they're fighting anime like Kengan Ashura or the recent Garouden, I love being initially shocked and surprised by a heavy opening. Not metal, but the Texhnolyze OP sounded insane on surround sound when I watched the show years ago, probably the most memorable one for me.

Yesterday, 6:27 PM
Sep 2020
Most recent show I watched that had me stoked and couldnt skip the opening was The Apothecary Diaries. That first half of the season's episodes that opened with the "Hana ni Natte" was top tier imo.
Yesterday, 6:32 PM

May 2020
Reply to GakutoDeathGlare
Any metal Openings, especially if they're fighting anime like Kengan Ashura or the recent Garouden, I love being initially shocked and surprised by a heavy opening. Not metal, but the Texhnolyze OP sounded insane on surround sound when I watched the show years ago, probably the most memorable one for me.

@GakutoDeathGlare For me its more of a mixxed bag, but if it fits I don't mind them. Hated the second opening of death note for example but I absolutely loved the opening to Kaiji
Yesterday, 6:45 PM

Jun 2024
For me Op of Noir that got me to watch it it's like a Gothic song perfect for tone of anime, "Capella's Casket"
Yesterday, 6:52 PM

Sep 2016
Every opening with a catchy song that I like.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Yesterday, 6:58 PM

May 2021
JJK OP1, Tokyo Revengers OP 1 and 2, AOT ops are all pretty fitting for their story.
Yesterday, 7:15 PM

Oct 2023
"Hacking to the Gate" from Steins Gate was the perfect song to get me excited to see each episode, what an awesome song.
Yesterday, 8:13 PM

Jul 2024
This one from my deer friend

Shikanoko nokonoko koshi tantan

Welcome to the Deer Club, gather deer friends
If you want to become a deer, it's a steep path
If you're a modern-day high school girl, it's the age of deer, right?
With a deer crackers in hand, yes, pose.
Worship the deer sent by God
The child of a deer, hooray
Yesterday, 8:26 PM
Oct 2019
- No Game No Life
- New Game
- Love Live Sunshine
- Symphogear
- Ga-rei-zero
- Oshi no Ko
- Monster Musume
- Ore Twintail Ni Narimasu
- Aquarion Evol
- Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S
- Sailor Moon Crystal
- Ben-To
- Steins;Gate
- Shingeki no Kyojin
All their opening hyped me for the episode and the show.
Yesterday, 8:48 PM

Dec 2012
These always got me hyped:
KruszerYesterday, 9:00 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Yesterday, 9:19 PM

Feb 2020
Hibiki Sakura & Naruzou Machio - Onegai Muscle (Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru? OP)

Yesterday, 10:13 PM

Jun 2024
I'm currently watching Girls Band Cry, and the opening hypes me up.

Yesterday, 11:10 PM

Oct 2021
There are a few, which get me pumped up to watch the show:

All of the OPs of Inuyasha, Baby Steps, Vivy: Flourite's Eyes Song, Cardcaptor Sakura OP1, FMA: Brotherhood OP1, Hunter x Hunter (2011), Demon Slayer: Entertainment District Arc and K-On!.
Ricchan__Today, 12:19 AM
Yesterday, 11:23 PM

May 2020
Reply to Ricchan__
There are a few, which get me pumped up to watch the show:

All of the OPs of Inuyasha, Baby Steps, Vivy: Flourite's Eyes Song, Cardcaptor Sakura OP1, FMA: Brotherhood OP1, Hunter x Hunter (2011), Demon Slayer: Entertainment District Arc and K-On!.
@Ricchan__ speaking of inuyasha, I didn't like the show very much but the 4th opening is one I can't stop thinking about for some reason. 5 years pass and randomly I'm in the shower and thinking, dat inuyasha op 4 doe XD The first one I have also come around on as time has gone on.

HxH is a good one too, they knew they struck gold so they kept it going for the whole runtime (and to be fair, it does fit the anime really well).

Every time I see "full metal..." I'm always like, "full metal panic" right??? "full metal panic" RIGHT??? Nope, its always alchemist. -_- Well not a bad one per se, but I've soured on it as time has gone on.
Yesterday, 11:32 PM

Jul 2023
gd visual and energetic ops, ig....
Talent is something to nurture, and wisdom is something to hone

Today, 12:53 AM

Jul 2023
The opening of Appare-Ranman! fits the title best. It was full of energy and fitted the mood of the anime perfectly.
Today, 1:05 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
From recent memory, Kaiju No. 8's opening got me pretty hyped up every time

NYANPASU
5700XT

Today, 2:40 AM

Feb 2023
Every good opening kind of gets me into the mood, but there are definitely some that stand more on their own and others that make me more excited for what happens in the show itself.

This one was the first that came to mind when reading the title:
[How Not to Summon a Demon Lord Ω - EVERYBODY! EVERYBODY!]

These two also get me super hyped, but there are far more openings than I could list:

Today, 2:47 AM

Jul 2013
I really like the opening to the One Piece anime.
Today, 5:21 AM

May 2024
Every Jojo opening. They all fit the vibe of the anime too well.
8 hours ago
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann did a good job with that.
5 hours ago

Oct 2023
Reply to Serafos
Hibiki Sakura & Naruzou Machio - Onegai Muscle (Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru? OP)

@Serafos That's another perfect example, I enjoyed that show. The intro is super catchy...and you could just hear the excitement in the female singer.
4 hours ago

Apr 2024
I watched Mawaru Penguindrum, Odd Taxi, 86 and Kyousougiga for the openings.
Akisenle4 hours ago
4 hours ago

Sep 2020
I never skipped a Attack on Titan openings, I listened to those songs over 100 times. Also, Monogatari, I love every opening. As for the recent ones, Kaiju No 8 is amazing, combined with every ep being a cliffhanger, I looked forward to watching it every week.
4 hours ago

Dec 2018
Moonlight Densetsu and Sailor Star Song from Sailor Moon.

DragonBall Z funimation dub.

4 hours ago

Feb 2024
I liked how lively the opener to Haruka Nogizaka's Secret: Purezza was, total sensory overload.

On the other end of the spectrum, I loved Horimiya's song and visuals for the first season opener. Mellow and surreal.

(images created in AI)
4 hours ago

Apr 2024
Any time JAM Project, Hironobu Kageyama, or the Late Ichiro "Aniking" Mizuki get involved on an opening, I know that shit's gonna be hype as hell, especially if those names are attached to a super robot
"Dreams are worth fighting for"
Backloggery | YouTube | Heatmap
4 hours ago

Dec 2014
Reply to Timeline_man
Any time JAM Project, Hironobu Kageyama, or the Late Ichiro "Aniking" Mizuki get involved on an opening, I know that shit's gonna be hype as hell, especially if those names are attached to a super robot
@Timeline_man You should look up the Zenki opening, it's pure Hironobu Kageyama energy injected directly into your veins.
3 hours ago
Jan 2023
Definetly the S2 Opening from The Dangers in My Heart

More topics from this board

Poll: » Have your favorite shows changed at all since the anime craze began?

RobertBobert - Aug 4

34 by Seven »»
3 minutes ago

» What anime episode length should be standard.

Kirika_Madeleine - 1 hour ago

2 by Lost_Viking »»
3 minutes ago

» Why are areolas so small in anime?

Anjuro - 11 minutes ago

0 by Anjuro »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Characters actually aging and growing older as the series goes on

TheBlockernator - Aug 3

14 by SawronZXZ »»
13 minutes ago

» Would you watch an anime with Hitler as the main character

JoeChip - 9 hours ago

33 by JustMaya »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.