Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 5, 10:27 PM

Feb 2020
Woah, a crossdressing anime, hell yeah! and oh- BI REPRESENTATION HOLY SHIT🗣️🗣️🗣️ SHES LITERALLY ME

It's nice to see stuff like this get animated. That was a good first episode! the last scene was a bit heartbreaking tho. "See you tomorrow, me" :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 11:11 PM
Apr 2021
Every I see Saki Aoi, I remember Kanade-chan from Hibike! Euphonium
Jul 6, 1:19 AM
Feb 2020
I really identify with his situation, my mom would yell at me if I did anything that might hint at feminity, even having my nails painted had her objecting. I'm happy to say I'm male, but that doesn't imply anything about my character,or that I won't say another guy is attractive (personally not my taste, but I can see why girls like him)

I'm not into sports,cars or muscles, so she sees me as a failure of a man. While I wouldn't get into the crossdressing like him (doing it daily), I don't mind it
It's an interesting romance triangle, and looks to be my favored type, where they're all friends to each other, I can't recall any recent others other than Hayate no Gotoku.
Jul 6, 1:51 AM

Jan 2017
It was suprisingly fun to watch, mainly because of Saki. She's so cute and funny. Best girl already. She reminds me of Akari from Tonari no Kyuuketsuki-san.
reicchi-senseiJul 6, 1:55 AM
Jul 6, 2:53 AM

Jan 2017
It's my first time to see this kind of plot in an anime and as someone who doesn't see gender as a hindrance to love, I actually enjoyed this first episode.
Looking forward to this~
Jul 6, 6:09 AM
Jul 2021
not usually a romance enjoyer but this is so peak, I would take this over any generic action nowadays
Jul 6, 9:14 AM
Dec 2021
Reply to Oppai_Loli_God
Interesting how society picks and chooses what mental illnesses to showcase in such a positive light. This should be only allowed as a parody or a hentai.

This boy should be getting bullied and rightfully so, every episode.
@Oppai_Loli_God so big breasted loli girls are okay, but not crossdressers or trans people?? Weird take.
Jul 6, 11:19 AM
Apr 2023
Reply to yoroshikus
thoughts as a fan of the original webcomic- OST and opening are great, art is pretty solid when they actually commit! unfortunately it seems this is another low budget series where they have to find an alternative to fully animate it. in this case, animating a lot of shots in a chibi artstyle... i don't hate it but i am disappointed ><
also bummed about how heavily condensed everything is... but i guess with a 12 episode series that's to be expected :(
@yoroshikus the manga had a lot of the chibi moments too tho
Jul 6, 11:49 AM
flower boy

Jun 2013
eleven_exists said:

yeah, but i know there were moments in this episode that they animated in the chibi style that weren't like that in the manga. i don't hate it, just wish they'd do them a litttttle bit less.
Jul 6, 12:53 PM
Jul 2021
Ugly11 said:
lingojk said:
@Ugly11

I think the last scene implies that he changes his uniform at school? I’m not entirely sure but that’s probably why.

Maybe we’ll see his parents at a later time

The last scene did clear up that part of the question. But so much more still needs to be answered

It will get answered. Not sure if we will get all the answers for it this season. But I don’t want to spoil anything. Let’s just say that you will learn plenty about his parents later on.
Jul 6, 3:26 PM
Apr 2023
Reply to yoroshikus
eleven_exists said:

yeah, but i know there were moments in this episode that they animated in the chibi style that weren't like that in the manga. i don't hate it, just wish they'd do them a litttttle bit less.
@yoroshikus i'm sure they'll calm down in the more serious moments, since they weren't really there at those points
Jul 6, 3:52 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to Ego_Altar
I confused "Otokonoko" with "Tsuchinoko" so I was expecting a very different show.
@Ego_Altar I confessed to my sempai but they double jumped into the air, bit their own tail and rolled away...

How can I date such a cute kouhai??? If I kiss her my venom will kill her!
Jul 6, 4:28 PM

Aug 2019
Damn, he like me fr ;_;

This is completely different from what I thought it was going to be LOL I had no idea what an Otokonoko was before watching this first episode. Idk why but I when I read the word Otokonoko I immediately thought of some mythical creature, more specifically the creature that the pokemon Dunsparce is based on LMAO Idk why but that's the first thing that came to mind

This is so cute though! It totally caught me off guard, but in a good way!

I'm not the biggest fan of how the art style keeps changing so often, but it's not that bad really

I wonder though, do I count as an Otokonoko? lol from the definition I found I think I do. I like feminine clothes, though I don't dress that way in front of family, only my gf, which is why that last scene hit really hard for me :(
Jul 6, 4:39 PM

Aug 2019
Reply to Momomomorgan
@Ego_Altar I confessed to my sempai but they double jumped into the air, bit their own tail and rolled away...

How can I date such a cute kouhai??? If I kiss her my venom will kill her!
@Momomomorgan @Ego_Altar LMAO I did the exact same thing
Jul 6, 6:56 PM

Aug 2019
@KeepCalmAndMal Ahhhh okay! :D
Jul 7, 2:31 PM
Dec 2017
Reply to YeetNation
Senpai Wa Otokonoko nokonoko koshitantan 🦌
@YeetNation
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otokonoko (Ground Control to Psychoelectric Femboy)
Jul 7, 6:43 PM
Jan 2015
As a reader of this webtoon into an anime, bruh they did Saki-chan so dirty. :/
Jul 7, 8:44 PM
Oct 2019
Oh boy, i thought it's going to be spicy one but it ended up with wholesomeness??
Saki was right, she can get the best of both world.

I like the chibi art style for the comedy.
Jul 7, 9:15 PM

Oct 2015
if this becomes toradora
im burnin g japan down frfr
So embarrased with Tensura fans and the fandom, how have we degraded
Jul 7, 9:29 PM
Jan 2021
Anyway, someone has forgot put one credit inside, a school girl mob one before Ryuji prosecutes Saki, ...
Jul 8, 1:14 AM
Sep 2016
Holy sh*t this one's gooood~!!!
We had Rukako. We had Saika. We had Hideyoshi. Now, I present to you, the next Gay-maker-2000, Makoto!!!! wwwww

1. So... is this yuri, yaoi, or straight...? Hmmm, I'm confused.... wwwww
2. How many of you boys watching this need to keep reminding yourselves throughout the entire EP: "Daga, otoko da!" or "I'm straight, dammit! Calm yourself, my little one!" wwwwww

PS:
I know I'll get burned bc of this comment. But IDC!!! I like dark and inappropriate jokes, and I wan't the world to burn!!! wwwwww
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Jul 8, 9:07 AM
Jul 2017
i don't know why MAL put this anime as romance only cuz from the first episode, this anime is heavy drama with coming of age chategory. even from the opening itself. you can see this anime will go toward drama than romance.
Jul 8, 11:23 AM

Jul 2014
Good first episode, but the constant art style shifts (which are presumably meant to be funny) are distracting and honestly kind of obnoxious.

I'm hoping they tone this down massively as the series progresses, as they massively overused it in this episode to the point that it started to annoy me just a third of the way into the episode: maybe they're doing it so much to try and save budget?
Jul 8, 12:25 PM

Oct 2019
I quite liked this, the characters are charming and this seems like a pretty multilayered take on a love triangle plot. Nice to see surprisingly many others here react positively to the concept, too.
Makoto is very sweet and lucky to have as great a friend as Ryuuji, and Aoi's chaotic energy is great. Looking forward to whatever this develops into.
Jul 8, 3:41 PM
Nov 2015
First episode was alright, will keep watching to see how the story develops. My only gripe with it is Saki, i really hope her character gets better overtime. She's just annoying and borderline creepy, not even funny.
Jul 8, 3:46 PM
Jun 2019
I liked the first episode. It's not ussual to see an anime that takes the crossdresing (trans themes?) seriously, or so it seems since they showed us a little about Makoto's past.
I love Aoi's reactions! She's so cute and funny!
I only have one problem with this anime... WHY IT'S THE "OTOKO NO KO" NOT TRANSLATED?! it's not a weird word, and the japanese word it's not even atractive to the viewer... Anyways... I like the way this anime is going, I just hope they continue this way.
Jul 8, 5:59 PM
Apr 2021
Don't know if i will like this trope, gonna stick it out though
Jul 9, 4:23 AM
Nov 2015
I think there are big problems in the first episode of this anime. I'm saying this, as who hasn't read the manga. But the direction and editing don't seem to be working properly. The scenes fail miserably at conveying any emotion. Also, I didn't understand the seriousness level of the anime. From Makoto's perspective, the situation she/he is in is perceived as serious, while the other characters are monotonous, like parody anime characters.

I expected a better adaptation of a series that deals with such serious topics. I hope it proves me wrong in the next episode and it will be a good anime. (pls)
Jul 9, 5:46 AM
Jun 2024
Well, I liked it, it's very funny
Jul 9, 6:41 AM

Mar 2024
A cute trap with which a girl falls in love - this idea reminds me of an anime Futari no Elder - but there everything was done much better.

This anime seemed boring to me. And also the simplified gag moments are annoying.

So if you liked the idea of ​​a beautiful trap pretending to be a girl but didnt like this anime, i recommend watching Futari no Elder

But in my case this anime is drop, although the idea was very interesting
Jul 9, 10:10 AM
Dec 2023
@KeepCalmAndMal

The otokonoko in the title is 男の娘 which is different from 男の子 (boy). It's more or less slang for crossdressing boys, but there's a bit more nuance than that.
Jul 9, 4:29 PM

May 2016
I love the manga but I hate these voices, I imagine Makoto with a softer voice and Aoi an energetic voice but that doesn't feel forced to do it, damn. As you guessed there were a lot of people that thought Makoto was a girl so the voice doesn't fit him at all. For the poeple with questions reads the manga but I will put a few spoilers if you are impatient.

No more spoilers, just enjoy this anime or read the manga c:
LastLuminescenceJul 9, 4:33 PM
People asked me where I read certain thing but the rules say no telling where did you read so maybe I am too boring for not saying? Or salty because you didn't check my profile that says don't ask because I hate people to ghost me after that. I love learning languages so maybe I did not read the manga in English?

Jul 9, 6:17 PM

Oct 2023
I went in with positive vibes and willingness to enjoy it, but ended up sitting through the whole episode with the same lifeless expression.

The art style is pleasant to look at and the parts that are animated look pretty, but the initially perceived production quality is achieved through half of the scenes being shown through stick figure animations. And while, yeah, this is just a matter of personal taste, I really disliked this particular style of stick figure animation because (imo) it clashed with the sleek art style of the rest of the show. Unfortunately, there was a lot of it. Basically every scene that required more than a static half-body shot of a person talking was done via stick figures.

By the time the girl MC jumped out of the tree in the middle of the episode and the anime paused to give us some time to stare at the wide static shot of her in midair, it became painfully obvious that I'm watching a cheap manga promo rather than a full-fledged adaptation.

And, honestly, everything about it smells like a cheap manga promo. The events and interactions between the characters feel super rushed, the characters themselves sound very cartoonish and overly exaggerated, and everything just feels... what would be the correct word, soulless?

I am not familiar with the source material, so I went to check it out, and yup — the anime is just a copy pasta of it that somehow manages to skip through half of the events of the original and adapts the rest of them word by word with minimal thought of how the animation medium is different from manga/webcomic one. I stg the original webcomic somehow feels like it has more action and fluid movement than this adaptation.

The voice actors they went with are certainly... a choice, but at this point what am I surprised by? It's on par with the rest of the show. The girl MC is a relative newbie and it looks like noone bothered to give her any direction aside from "you're a genki anime girl I guess"; and the crossdresser dude's voice actor's biggest role thus far has been that of the dog in the dog fetish anime from last year, so, yeah... My expectations were low, but I still ended up feeling let down.

The original webcomic seems to be nice though, so I guess despite how much I hated the anime, it managed to do its job of promoting the original to me. Which makes me even more annoyed about the whole ordeal. It's like getting caught by a mobile game ad that shows somebody failing a simple puzzle repeatedly until you download the game to play it right. Ugh.
Jul 9, 8:01 PM
Mar 2018
I wasn't expecting this to be a comedy. Great first episode. Love the mix of art styles and the contrast between the characters' personalities.
Jul 10, 9:09 AM
Apr 2024
cute start i guess!
Jul 11, 4:00 PM
Aug 2018
It's a good show so far, but Aoi gives it a huge plus, lmao. She's so fun.
Jul 12, 5:08 AM

Oct 2016
Umm I was expecting something more serious. I find the changes in artstyle for the comical moments to be tryhard and the cis girl to be a little freaky and very silly. I might stick around for some episodes but I hope this turns to something more serious and akin to Hourou Musuko or else I don't think I'll keep watching it.
Jul 12, 8:49 AM
Jul 2016
I'm so happy watching this first episode. The characters are adorable and the romance feels like it's not going to be cliché.
I hope that in the end these three stay together, it would be the icing on the cake (it doesn't hurt to dream 😭) .
Jul 12, 9:13 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to Alkimia
Damn, he like me fr ;_;

This is completely different from what I thought it was going to be LOL I had no idea what an Otokonoko was before watching this first episode. Idk why but I when I read the word Otokonoko I immediately thought of some mythical creature, more specifically the creature that the pokemon Dunsparce is based on LMAO Idk why but that's the first thing that came to mind

This is so cute though! It totally caught me off guard, but in a good way!

I'm not the biggest fan of how the art style keeps changing so often, but it's not that bad really

I wonder though, do I count as an Otokonoko? lol from the definition I found I think I do. I like feminine clothes, though I don't dress that way in front of family, only my gf, which is why that last scene hit really hard for me :(
@Alkimia samee, that last "goodnight, me" moment really hit hard (╥﹏╥)

Otokonoko is basically an otaku term that corresponds with the English "femboy", so...probably?
Jul 12, 9:16 AM

Feb 2024
Wow, ok, I really didn't expect an anime with social-norm defying, gender-affirming, bi-positive representation O_O
I'm shooketh and really happy honestly.

The switch to the chibi style for comedic effect, and the way, at least for now, the characters are handled makes it worth watching on its own.
Jul 12, 8:21 PM

Jul 2023
Whilst I'm sus with real-life cross-dressers, I might as well give it a chance because my favourite character in FY back in the day is a cross-dresser.

Aoi confessed to Makoto-senpai, but after knowing he is actually a boy, she still likes him.

For me, she seems poised to be the best girl in this anime, even though her type is annoying in other anime. Case in point, Ruka from Rent a GF.

Complicated is that his boy best friend actually likes him. Is this gonna end up as a yaoi or a pseudo-yuri?

I predict this is going to be mid, but an okay watch. Or it may surprise me. But so far, it is slightly better than Pseudo Harem.
Jul 12, 8:27 PM

Jul 2023
Reply to taskinist
@KeepCalmAndMal

The otokonoko in the title is 男の娘 which is different from 男の子 (boy). It's more or less slang for crossdressing boys, but there's a bit more nuance than that.
@taskinist Okay, now I get why someone wrote that otoko no ko means a femboy.

And that's why otokonomo is in hiragana in the title.

This makes sense.
Jul 13, 3:38 AM
Jul 2011
Almost dropped it immediately after hearing Makoto's voice. Holy moly it's so bad. Not saying the voice actor is bad, but the voice casting is nauseously bad.
Would be 100x better with a woman VA. I have never dropped a show because of a voice before, this might become my first.

Only reason I will give it a chance is because Aoi is amazing. Singelhandedly carrying this show at the moment.
Jul 13, 2:33 PM

Nov 2012
I really like this but you can tell they gave it the animation budget of 5 dollars and a corn chip. T_T
Jul 14, 8:56 PM

Aug 2019
Reply to luxiyama
@Alkimia samee, that last "goodnight, me" moment really hit hard (╥﹏╥)

Otokonoko is basically an otaku term that corresponds with the English "femboy", so...probably?
@luxiyama Yeah that's basically what I thought, just wasn't too sure!
Jul 15, 7:07 AM
Feb 2024
Didn't know what to expect going into this show, and I am glad I gave it a go.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Jul 16, 1:29 AM
Mar 2012
what an unusual fun trio. handkerchief scene nice.
Makoto especially but they all got nice va. Already hinting at family issues there. Ryuji quite protective. Saki quite funny but a bit too much chibi scenes.
osts & OP pretty. ED country vibe.
Jul 16, 9:07 AM

Apr 2015
The content is solid and the art was surprisingly decent considering normal No.9 standards, but the flow was choppy. Each 'chapter' felt separate. A better adaptation might nudge details a bit to let everything flow better
Jul 17, 4:24 AM
Jul 2018
Bro, who corrects someone by
literally stripping in front of
them. And especially in front of
a girl?

I remember reading this manga before. I think it was back in 2022? Truly, it was the best year of my life yet. I made every reply to every discussion of each chapter, I'm so proud. Sadly, I deleted my previous account. It had eight badges. You could call me old.

About the anime, I liked it. However, the pacing is too fast, animation is a bit in the average, and the characters are always too close to the camera. I hope this improves later on in the show.
Jul 19, 7:57 AM
Feb 2019
kaya lagi baca manga asli, page page gitu ke baca manwha si kurang banyak animasi nya
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Senpai wa Otokonoko Episode 8 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Aug 29

36 by jsooka »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Senpai wa Otokonoko Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Aug 22

60 by jsooka »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Senpai wa Otokonoko Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IzanaSolos - Jul 18

130 by DolFunDolphinVT »»
Yesterday, 12:08 AM

Poll: » Senpai wa Otokonoko Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IzanaSolos - Jul 11

108 by DolFunDolphinVT »»
Aug 30, 11:18 PM

Poll: » Senpai wa Otokonoko Episode 6 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Aug 15

45 by KANLen09 »»
Aug 22, 7:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.