Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 9, 9:38 PM

Apr 2018
Do you appreciate Anime that genuinely explores yuri relationships, or do you find enjoyment in the subtlety and teasing of yuri-bait?
Jul 9, 10:32 PM

May 2019
always real yuri, never settle for less.
Jul 9, 10:50 PM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
The might be some but I wouldn't mind series where female characters tease each other in a flirty way without being yuri or becoming yuri later on.
But I'd prefer yuri over it since it's just that damn hot! I don't care that much over straight romance since there are too many of them.
"You only realize the real value of something you discarded when you get the chance to pick it up again." - Rudeus Greyrat
Jul 9, 11:05 PM

Mar 2008
Real yuri. Yuri bait they just dont take it far enough in many cases. But also because a like romance not that I dislike some playfulness or anything and not that im against cases where there is a non romantic relationship that is close but sometimes id like to see it more lewd if they go that way instead of romance. Really i like both though.
Jul 9, 11:27 PM

Sep 2018
Yuri bait tends to be better imo since most relationships are shallow.
Jul 9, 11:36 PM

Feb 2023
I hate how the term "yuri bait" is used most of the time 🤣

The idea that you can't show two girls be very close friends without being accused of "baiting" the yuri fans to watch your show is hillarious. Maybe I just have a weird idea about female friendships, but I don't find it all that strange to have them be expressed slightly more intimately without necessarily becoming romantic. It's anime, everything is exaggerated anyway.

There are definitely a few anime where I agree with the term "yuri bait", just like there are countless heterosexual relationships that are teased but we never really see them blossom. Depending on how it's framed I really like it, sometimes people just don't feel ready to move to the next step and that can be very sweet. Other times it leaves me disappointed in not having a resolution, like having to start reading the source material to get to know if they become a couple or not.

To the main question what I prefer:
intimate female friendships > actual lesbian romance > girls questioning their sexuality (regarding their female friend) without becoming a couple
VaturnaJul 9, 11:46 PM
Jul 10, 2:00 AM

Sep 2016
I prefer yuri bait that turns into real yuri, if anyone knows anime like that please let me know.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 10, 2:25 AM

Jul 2013
Why not both? I like both. It is good stuff.
Jul 10, 2:38 AM

Sep 2020
i m fine with both though real yuri is better
Jul 10, 2:43 AM

Mar 2023
"Yuri!!! on Ice" is the worst yuri bait title in the history of anime.
SpunkertJul 10, 2:47 AM
Jul 10, 3:37 AM

Jun 2024
honestly i love both, though real yuri is better cuz ur favs actually get together ^w^
chidori and haru >>>> any other persona character
Jul 10, 3:44 AM

Jan 2008
There is room for both but bait seems often as a get out of free method for anime to appease a certain demographic
Jul 10, 4:06 AM
May 2021
I'm not a yuri enjoyer,but also no hater.
So I say the two.
Jul 10, 8:04 AM

Oct 2017
As a queer woman myself, I'd much prefer real exploration of same sex relationships rather than queerbaiting meant to appease to heterosexuals by putting everything under a veneer of plausible deniability.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Jul 10, 8:17 AM

Jul 2015
It kinda reminds me of that one scene in Girls Band Cry, where one girl basically confessed her love to the other. It was never brought up again and never anything romance related happened for the reminder of the show. They were just throwing yuri fans a proverbial bone. It was a total epitome of yuri bait and it was pathetic, but still enough to satisfy crusaders.
They should either commit or not touch the subject of their sexuality at all or even tease.

Jul 10, 8:21 AM

Mar 2016
I prefer bait like the classic old day and read the real yuri shipping and relationship on fan doujin (the lewd one ofc)
RioAlJul 10, 8:24 AM

Jul 10, 8:27 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to Piromysl
It kinda reminds me of that one scene in Girls Band Cry, where one girl basically confessed her love to the other. It was never brought up again and never anything romance related happened for the reminder of the show. They were just throwing yuri fans a proverbial bone. It was a total epitome of yuri bait and it was pathetic, but still enough to satisfy crusaders.
They should either commit or not touch the subject of their sexuality at all or even tease.
@Piromysl That sounds rather depressing, how did her crush respond to the confession?
Jul 10, 8:31 AM

Jul 2015
Reply to Zarutaku
@Piromysl That sounds rather depressing, how did her crush respond to the confession?
@Zarutaku Not sure if I remember correctly, but both started crying and it was never brought up again.

Jul 10, 9:08 AM

Jan 2023
I don't know what "Yuri" means.

(characters)
Jul 10, 9:24 AM

Sep 2016
juanlqr said:

Basically girls love, usually lesbianism but intimate female friendships also count.
Jul 10, 9:38 AM

Apr 2024
I am sorry , but what is the difference , do you talk about ""physical relation"" when you talk about "rea yuri"??

Jul 10, 9:38 AM

Jan 2023
Reply to Zarutaku
juanlqr said:

Basically girls love, usually lesbianism but intimate female friendships also count.
@Zarutaku

Ahhh, I'm just watching Yuru Yuri. Now I understand half of the anime's title (?).
Jul 10, 12:22 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to RyogiSHIKI7
So I say the two.
RyogiSHIKI7 said:
So I say the two.

Same here, but I'm more of the latter (bait).
Jul 10, 12:41 PM

Sep 2014
yuru yuri is one of the best animes of all time, so yuri bait is my choice.
Jul 10, 12:48 PM

Apr 2024
without any toxic edgy bullshit, yea.
bait or subtext or not, im fine with it
Jul 10, 1:48 PM

Oct 2010
I dislike yuri and I dislike yuri bait but the most I dislike is infinite mana for no reason and bad use of already established skills. How it is possible that Loodie never saw 3 seconds in the future to avoid that monster, you're telling me he fought on equal terms with that 6 arms guy yet he can't keep up with a dungeon monster when he already has 5 people teaming up.
Jul 10, 8:37 PM

Aug 2017
None. Both are shit.

Yaoi is better fr.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 12, 9:37 AM
Oct 2023
I strongly disagree with the term "yuri bait" as it should be "yuri subtext" but to answer the question, I perfer subtext because despite liking yuri, I don't like the romance genre. Subtext can breach a wider genre so I can get yuri vibes fix from that without having to go into a genre I dislike.

Now then to diverge, yuri is a wide umbrella term use to refer to anime/manga where the girls are closer than just friends at least in Japan. The west seems to believe it is always explicit romance. If I go by the Japanese usage for yuri, yuri bait would fall specifically to shows like Hibike Euphonium, maximum focus on Kumiko and Reina, and Shuu gets Kumiko in the end with his 5s screen time every episode (well in the novel, anime wasn't really clear on ending). If I go by the west, then expecting explicit romance in a show that doesn't have romance in its genre just means I suck at reading genres. I don't see romance, and the girls don't get together as a couple, how is it bait? I never expect it anyways.

Subtext and maintext works better at describing the focus of girls being closer than friends. Subtext, I know it isn't a main focus but there. Maintext, romance is key theme and the being a couple is important. That being said subtext can easily transition to maintext and that of course is lovely.
Jul 12, 3:19 PM

Oct 2022
These days think they are kinda the same.
The cast treat Yuri relations like business as usual; "Oh yeah Sakura dating Yuta, Himari dating Jin, and Ai dating Hibiki" ... "Oh ok whatever"
The 'forbidden love' aspect doesn't seem to be there, it's what made gay relationships interesting to explore in the first place.
Teasing them by having girls "confess" but then never doing anything with it is even less compelling. The mechanical attitudes everyone has about relationships these days carries over to anime, and feels cheap.
Jul 13, 1:21 AM

Feb 2020
"Do you prefer real yuri or yuri-bait?"

Yuri.
Jul 13, 1:35 AM

Apr 2021
I'm good with both. But yuri baits are generally better animes than regular yuri animes.
Jul 13, 4:13 AM

Mar 2021
Dragevard said:
Do you prefer real yuri or yuri-bait?

Don't really prefer either. But it's not like either of them bother me anyways. If an Anime happens to entertain me, doesn't matter if it has yuri or yuri-bait in it or even be completely absent of both, I will likely still watch it regardless as long as it's not boring to me. Even Yaoi and Yaoi-bait doesn't bother me as long as I find the Anime still entertaining to watch. Yet I do tend to try to stay clear of out right Yaoi Anime because I am a typical heterosexual Male who isn't actively trying to seek out a bunch of Anime specifically to watch a bunch of dudes who would like to get it on with each other. Where watching two females wanting to get things on with each other is far more appealing to my eyes than seeing two males wanting to get things on with each other.

When it comes Yaoi elements in an Anime, I think there is only a few titles I have seen where it's actually present and two of the times I have seen it recently deals with Dude on Dude implied violent rape scenes.

Generally speaking unless Anime is usually out right Erotica or Hentai, one isn't going to normally see graphic sexual interaction between the fictional characters in any Anime no matter the sexual preferences that are being laid out.
ColourWheelJul 13, 4:25 AM
Jul 13, 4:24 AM

Nov 2019
I prefer yuri COUPLES to YURI couples.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo

More topics from this board

» Why is anime so dead rn? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MercurialAlien - Jul 20

277 by Cielord »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you guys watch EVERY single OVA, movie, spin off, etc.!? ( 1 2 )

JustMaya - Yesterday

50 by FedeMetal »»
9 minutes ago

» Is there still an "AniTube"?

thewiru - Yesterday

15 by thewiru »»
12 minutes ago

» Why are people fine with perverted female characters but lose their minds when they see perverted male characters?

Dragevard - Apr 29, 2023

19 by Venluxy1 »»
21 minutes ago

» what do you think is the best anime of this decade so far ?

ame - Jul 26

49 by 0063873192871 »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.