Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 26, 1:28 AM

Dec 2021
The usual training camp starts now.

To prepare for the Kansai Tournament, the traditional three-day training camp begins. The familiar music instructors, Masahiro and Satomi, also join, adding even more intensity to the practice sessions. While all this was going on, the Kitauji High School Concert Band had decided to hold auditions for each tournament. With the audition to select the members for the Kansai Tournament scheduled for the first night of the camp, tension fills the air. Before the audition, Kumiko finds herself in the bathhouse with Mayu.

We’ve got Reina being her usual tsundere self, worried about the relationship between Kumiko and Mayu. Kumiko has been getting more criticism for her mistakes, while Mayu hasn't received any. Naturally, Mayu thinks she’s playing better. Anyway, we get our bi-bi-bi-weekly appearance of Shuuichi and our bi-seasonal reminder of how much Asuka impacted Kumiko. Lol. And those auditions... poor Kanade. But more than anyone, poor Kumiko.

The top spot, the spot of THE euphonium player, has been taken from Kumiko... what to do?

May 26, 1:28 AM

May 2020
The training camp characters who make their appearance only when these people go for a… training camp, sure having it rough getting familiar with new faces every year lol. Though that being one thing, and this audition being another, I’m now finding it really difficult whenever they’re giving that unneeded attention to Mayu. Like man, does she have a really sad backstory, did her dog die in the past or what? Why is she roaming around with that look on her face… because she thinks if she gave her best Kumiko would fail to make the cut????? Lmaoooo, this girl.

This drama with Mayu clearly overstayed its welcome, to the point where we’re well into the insufferable territory. Very thankful they didn’t try to set-up one more with the Motomu and Midori thing. As I mean audition results were moore than to enough to deal with in the end. Kanade didn’t make the cut first, let it be who cares, but they denied Kumiko from soli part… what????

As fucking expected Mayu is the one… really man, the predictability of drama in this series which will lead to just more of unnecessary drama now. FUCK.
Softhenic03May 26, 1:34 AM
May 26, 2:57 AM

Nov 2010
I'm rather anxious for the incidents between Midori and the boy.
May 26, 3:57 AM

Apr 2014
I knew it! I knew it! This will come. Kumiko did not get the solo part. Surely, she will be able to return.
何それ?意味分かんない
May 26, 4:04 AM

Apr 2010
That result at the end was obvious the question is to what kind of drama it will result.
Still it was a pretty intense episode in itself with the confrontation between Mayu and Kumiko on the bathroom.
Sapphire also made a importuned choice it seems.
May 26, 4:17 AM
May 2023
i swear to god if they don't give kumiko the solo part back by finals i will commit unspeakable acts
May 26, 4:20 AM

Jul 2017
The cliffhanger was intense but predictable with Mayu taking the spot from Kumiko, makes sense in a way since it feels like a parallel in a way to what was happening in Kumiko's first year with Reina showing up and taking the top spot for the trumpet section, although her attitude is a bit different to Mayu's in this case. Drama has been getting worse and worse for me with how stretched out it is becoming in traditional fashion, but with Kumiko having her spot taken from her for these auditions, we'll see how she really is doing now that reality struck her in the face. Mayu might have been accidentally acting cocky due to her worries for being too good and affecting morale of others, how would Kumiko fare now that it has actually happened to her. The ending had a bit of weight to it, but man this season's been getting weaker and weaker. I understand that this isn't like a typical sports/music club anime like a Kono Oto Tomare where characters are built of not only the main school but people from others and different kinds of performances are shown, but personally, just wish to see the club be as united as it is to do their best to win Nationals after overcoming the struggles to get there than rehash old conflicts that happened and have it be as stretched out as it was like this season. It's just getting harder and harder to care about that. Rest of the episode while looking fine but was mostly forgettable and dull except that little brief interaction with Kumiko and Reina was nice with the latter hinting that Mayu just might be too good and fitting for what Taki is looking for in the euphonium lead. Season's slowly falling apart to season 2 levels for me.
May 26, 4:28 AM

Mar 2023
Kanade didn't make it.
Beyond Kumiko not getting the solo, will the band be ok? I would predict this will stir drama at the whole band level.
The next two days of the training camp are gonna be intense.

I'm not feeling the directing for the drama scene(s) this episode, it's not technically wrong, but it doesn't get one emotionally charged from it. The call back is a nice touch, the breathing at the end is a nice touch, but they're just good additions and don't supplement for what is missing
watsymMay 26, 8:51 AM
May 26, 4:29 AM

Aug 2020
that felt like a personal rejection wth, bravo mayu!
May 26, 4:30 AM

Jul 2012
So it really is going that way, while Kumiko (it hurts ...) prob will accept the results especially with afterbath scene, others won't.
I assume that Kanade will try fight back.
I wonder what will be Reina's reaction.

Kumko teasing Reina whole season is the best. And she always remembers Asuka.
May 26, 4:42 AM

Mar 2008
I would respect Mayu more if she was more open about being better. That half assed attitude annoys the hell outta me. Hope Reina doesn't become a hypocrite after what happened in season 1.

Also dying to know what happened between Sapphire and Motomu.
AnimeJunkyMay 26, 4:49 AM
May 26, 4:44 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Oh... thats... interesting.
Hyped for next week!
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
May 26, 4:48 AM
Jun 2019
lol not so smug now kanade
May 26, 4:53 AM

Mar 2021
Gutted that Kumiko didn't get the solo really hope she gets it back soon. Even more pointless drama with Mayu who is just getting increasingly annoying with every scene she is in.
May 26, 5:00 AM
Mar 2020
That's what you get by wanting winning that much, I just don't understand why you can't just balance between wanting to winning and having a great time together. Kumiko and Mayu definitely has the same skill, both got what it takes, Kumiko should've just let her hold back a bit and it won't hurt to have the older members playing the solo and soli parts. This could apply for the older generations too but eh, without this we won't have this conflict so yeah. But IRL, all of 3rd Years will play and Kumiko would still get the soli part and she'll let Mayu to hold back.

I don't like Mayu due to her considerate attitude that's on sarcastic level but I guess the reason why she's being way considerate too much is now understandable, Kumiko is taking the L on this one, she got what she asked for.

Also, it's a bit of a surprise that Kanade got dropped in favor of having 4 tubas and I'm 100% happy for Satsuki, she won the Kyoto Comp and now playing on the main team, she got the best scenario atm if Kitauji somehow won both Prefectural and National comp, she potentially could get 3 golds in her hands (And once again, Hazuki still is the unluckiest character in this anime, she could potentially only play 3 times in a competition during her time in the club)

Anyway, I said that 2 weeks ago it's about Satsuki vs Suzume vs Hazuki for the audition on the bass section, but it turns out Kanade is the losing one.

I just can't wait for next week's episode, the pacing of this season is still garbage tho, I hope the movie will fix it and fill all the missing scenes.
May 26, 5:40 AM

May 2015
Reply to farlig
i swear to god if they don't give kumiko the solo part back by finals i will commit unspeakable acts
@farlig I will be there with you, let's commit those unspeakable acts together! :D
夏草や 兵どもが 夢の跡
May 26, 6:01 AM
May 2023
Ohhh boy. I was all giggles n stuff when kanade didn’t make the cut, but then kumiko didn’t get the euphonium solo wiped that smirk right off my face
May 26, 6:04 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to EgatammaN
That's what you get by wanting winning that much, I just don't understand why you can't just balance between wanting to winning and having a great time together. Kumiko and Mayu definitely has the same skill, both got what it takes, Kumiko should've just let her hold back a bit and it won't hurt to have the older members playing the solo and soli parts. This could apply for the older generations too but eh, without this we won't have this conflict so yeah. But IRL, all of 3rd Years will play and Kumiko would still get the soli part and she'll let Mayu to hold back.

I don't like Mayu due to her considerate attitude that's on sarcastic level but I guess the reason why she's being way considerate too much is now understandable, Kumiko is taking the L on this one, she got what she asked for.

Also, it's a bit of a surprise that Kanade got dropped in favor of having 4 tubas and I'm 100% happy for Satsuki, she won the Kyoto Comp and now playing on the main team, she got the best scenario atm if Kitauji somehow won both Prefectural and National comp, she potentially could get 3 golds in her hands (And once again, Hazuki still is the unluckiest character in this anime, she could potentially only play 3 times in a competition during her time in the club)

Anyway, I said that 2 weeks ago it's about Satsuki vs Suzume vs Hazuki for the audition on the bass section, but it turns out Kanade is the losing one.

I just can't wait for next week's episode, the pacing of this season is still garbage tho, I hope the movie will fix it and fill all the missing scenes.
@EgatammaN I don't think Mayu even means to be sarcastic in her remarks. She's very awkward and is as much of an outsider as she was 8 episodes ago, forever feeling out of place any scene she's in. Her being overly considerate seems to be related to not wanting to impose on Kitauji and blend into the background instead. I think her taking the solo does her no favors at all, as odd as that may sound.
May 26, 6:18 AM

Jul 2012
As an athletics coach, I've had to do a similar thing where the "fan-favorite" had to be sat for a more talented younger athlete, and it's difficult.

My only issue here is that Liz and the Blue Bird showed that chemistry is important, what will Taki do if Kumiko is the only one that can unleash the best sound with Reina?

The scene where Kumiko plays Hibike! Euphonium was gorgeous, and I thought Mayu watching her symbolized that Kumiko was still this untouchable queen of Kitauji. Oh how I was wrong. I thought this would be the outcome at the start of the episode, but the symbolism in some of the scenes caused me to change my mind, and left me genuinely surprised.

The thought that Mayu is Kumiko's past might not be entirely correct, because Mayu gained confidence to beat the "untouchable one" while Kumiko decided to learn from her (Asuka). That's my interpretation of it anyway.
May 26, 6:27 AM

Jul 2017
Who didn't see this plot point coming from a mile away? That being said there needs to be some adversity in a story or else there can be no development or character development so who can complain. I still think this is by far the most down to earth and realistic anime in a while, it's so easy to get engrossed and invested in the characters
May 26, 7:33 AM
Jun 2023
Not gonna lie, that announcement of Taki sensei calling Mayu instead of Kumiko for the solo made my stomach drop, damn.. what the hell is this gonna lead up to next week?!
May 26, 7:38 AM

Jul 2011
The foreshadowing that was happening over many episode finally came true. With Kanade out for this one comp, the Mayu taking the soli, was a heavier blow.
Now see how will play out, if Mayu prediction of how the club will react was right or not.
May 26, 7:49 AM

Jul 2014
Literally everyone saw this coming a mile away! But still the suspense and anxiety this episode gave was still able to make me sweat. Great directing! Im fckin pisses Kanade didnt make the cut, and while I was still trying to recover from that shock Taki announces Mayu to be the solo while focusing on Kumiko with her about to answer cause she she thought she was going to be picked.
I swear Taki kinda fcked up with this decision. While true that Mayu may be a better eupho player than Kumiko, the problem is how the band will take this, how it will affect their morale and especially Reina, she was hellbent on playing the solo only thinking of her and Kumiko being the obv choices, this may hit harder than they thought. There is quite the difference with the S1 parallel with Reina and the 3rd yr whos name I forgot, unlike her, Kumiko formed a connection with most of the members AND is the president of the club. This will hurt the team so bad… tho I am 100% certain Kumiko will take the solo back in the finals but still, this stings. I wonder how Kumiko will handle the news, her and Reina. Also Kanade!! My girl!! If you’re gonna be smug you need to back shit up!
Also Mayu, I really do not like you, not because you got the part from Kumiko but because of how you act and present yourself.

Next episode is gonna be so full of drama!
May 26, 8:04 AM
Jun 2020
Mayu said, " Nah, I'd win" and proceeded to obliterate Kumiko's hope for soloist and sent Kanade into oblivion
May 26, 8:06 AM

Nov 2011
Reply to Phoenix_Trite
As an athletics coach, I've had to do a similar thing where the "fan-favorite" had to be sat for a more talented younger athlete, and it's difficult.

My only issue here is that Liz and the Blue Bird showed that chemistry is important, what will Taki do if Kumiko is the only one that can unleash the best sound with Reina?

The scene where Kumiko plays Hibike! Euphonium was gorgeous, and I thought Mayu watching her symbolized that Kumiko was still this untouchable queen of Kitauji. Oh how I was wrong. I thought this would be the outcome at the start of the episode, but the symbolism in some of the scenes caused me to change my mind, and left me genuinely surprised.

The thought that Mayu is Kumiko's past might not be entirely correct, because Mayu gained confidence to beat the "untouchable one" while Kumiko decided to learn from her (Asuka). That's my interpretation of it anyway.
I do think chemistry will play a part. Hopefully they do go to Nationals and Taki can see that Reina and Kumiko's chemistry would be enough to win nationals.

I really hope Kumiko uses this to get better and honestly stays true to her mindset of "We do this for the School"

Kinda like "Play for the Logo on the Front not the name on the back"
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Summer 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

May 26, 8:06 AM
Oct 2021
Epic, can’t wait for next week.
May 26, 8:15 AM

Feb 2017
Reina giving midori her taki-sensei drink was the sweetest thing she's ever done my heart melted
May 26, 8:18 AM

Nov 2023
That's what Mayu does, she is so perfect that she can do it. If she wants.

Feeling sorry for Kumiko, don't worry you will shine soon.

Mayu became my fav character in this particular season by far.
I need somebody who can love me at my worst
No, I'm not perfect, but I hope you see my worth
'Cause it's only you, nobody new, I put you first
And for you, girl, I swear I'll do the worst

If you stay forever, let me hold your hand
I can fill those places in your heart no else can
Let me show you love, oh, I don't pretend, yeah
I'll be right here, baby, you know I'll sink or swim
May 26, 8:19 AM

Oct 2017
Yeah who couldn't see this coming, surprise. Usually I would have been like fine ig but this girl Mayu is so annoying that this pisses me off.
May 26, 8:20 AM

Dec 2020
It was obvious that Mayu was going to be picked to play the solo but Kanade being dropped was a bit of a surprise, Mayu is really rooting herself into the club and I think a lot of the characters aren't going to like it. I can understand that maybe Mayu is a slightly better player, but picking Mayu is going to really disrupt the flow of the bland and surely affect the music as Kumiko is the president! Seeing Kumiko play Asuka's piece in the field was nice but I also feel like it is another example of the show being uninspired and being influenced by previous seasons. This feels lie the first proper bit of drama in the season and makes a lot of the other episodes feel redundant. I'm not a fan of melodramatic shows but I feel like the approach taken in the first season, and especially the second season, were better than this season. Mayu is annoying every time she is on screen, I'm not sure if that is intenitioanl, but Kumiko did get what she was asking for, telling Mayu to not play poorly has resulted in her losing her spot, her inherent trait of rolling over has led to Mayu taking her solo. The next epiosode will hopefully be interesting with all the characters, especially Kumiko and Reina dealing with the news.

Lmk any thoughts!
May 26, 8:23 AM
Nov 2023
Damn Taki sensei really cooked the eupho section.
May 26, 8:34 AM
Mar 2020
Reply to SUPER_CANNES
@EgatammaN I don't think Mayu even means to be sarcastic in her remarks. She's very awkward and is as much of an outsider as she was 8 episodes ago, forever feeling out of place any scene she's in. Her being overly considerate seems to be related to not wanting to impose on Kitauji and blend into the background instead. I think her taking the solo does her no favors at all, as odd as that may sound.
@SUPER_CANNES I know, I mean her consideration level is so absurd that I think it feels like she's being sarcastic and looking down on Kumiko. IRL, Mayu wouldn't survive in whatever environment she's in, some people (Including me) really hates being treated like that, usually people's reaction would be the same as Kumiko's during the bath scene, it is surprising it took Kumiko 8 episode to snap since it's annoying.

If Kumiko said it's fine, then it's fine, Mayu shouldn't repeat the same question for 8 episodes in a row (Though Kumiko took an L because of this but Kumiko said she wanted Kitauji to wins then so be it)
May 26, 8:39 AM

May 2019
Reina's reaction towards the soda drink from Taki sensei was cute. These last few episodes have built up to this point concluding that Mayu would be the one taking spot for the solo part not Kumiko. It's a tough pill to swallow but it's nice to see how Kumiko try to be calm as much as possible even with a brief argument with Mayu in the changing room. Deep down Kumiko must have known this that this will happen and how much she learn from the Reina during the first year. But I do wonder though where will all of this eventually lead to regarding her future. Will she choose the usual college or music college. There was so much tension between Kumiko and Mayu during the whole episode and drama wise this is probably the mildest one from the entire seasons.

May 26, 8:45 AM
Apr 2021
Wooow the ending of this episode full of drama. The Euphonium solo switch to Mayu and Kanade was not selected.

I think this drama so good for character development and story, Kansai to national stage. I'm looking forward for the next episode!🔥

I'm curious about Midori and Motomu-kun. Kanade-chan gave soda to Motomu-kun
rahezMay 27, 3:12 AM
May 26, 9:17 AM
Jul 2011
this got me hyped for next week
May 26, 9:36 AM
Aug 2022
Naa wtf bruh not only did kanade not even get selected, Kumiko got her place taken for the solo part. See like yeah its fine I trust Taki and all that but like dam mayu is annoying. She's like the most standoff girl ever.

I feel so bad for kanade not even getting selected at all.

curious though on what Midori and Motomu talked about.
May 26, 9:41 AM
Oct 2021
If the "Sensei" is as good as they say, then he wouldn't be a "sensei" to begin with. He has just lead them to FAILURE. But i understand this is just the author giving more drama to the series. We all know for nationals, Kumiko will play. I haven't read any of the source material. But its really a very predicatable plot.
May 26, 9:42 AM
Dec 2020
i thought theres only 1 audition to set the band section, how many audition actually to set the member on the competition ?
May 26, 10:01 AM

Feb 2014
While it was predictable with how the results was going to go, the episode still did a solid job in building up the tension and suspense for the inevitable announcements that would leave a lot of the music club members shocked and surprised. Kanade missing out was a surprise, but most of us knew that Kumiko would lose out to Mayu for the solo part.

For one thing, I'm glad that Kumiko was able to finally get her words through to Mayu in the changing room, albeit with a bit of shouting between the two before they settled down. Hopefully this means no more of Mayu being overly considerate and she plays to her very best of her abilities, considering the fact that she has the solo roll for the upcoming competition.

Other things that stood out for me in this episode was the cute moment with Reina cherishing the soda can that was from Taki, Midori and Motomu's meeting that had others curious as to what it was about, and Kumiko playing in the early morning sunrise on her own, which was beautiful in many ways.

The next episode will have me very eager to see how everyone will come to terms with the selection results. It hurts to see those who wanted to succeed not being chosen, but I do hope that Taki was correct with his choices and that Kitauji can get into the nationals this time around.
May 26, 10:05 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to tokyoboy1
i thought theres only 1 audition to set the band section, how many audition actually to set the member on the competition ?
@tokyoboy1 Like they said in first half of ep 5, they're doing one for each stage of the competition this year, so 3 (local, regional and national). This one was for regional.
May 26, 10:13 AM

Nov 2014
Drama is coming... as expected!
I want to see how Kumiko and Reina reacts next ep.
Who will "comforts" who now xD This moment of hardness will shows these character true self (Mayu included).
Really hope Mayu will not take the first step after this mess:( Kumiko will be back and fights Mayu fair and square <3
SweecMay 26, 10:18 AM
May 26, 10:21 AM
Mar 2018
I expected Kuroe to get the solo. What I didn't expect was that I'd feel bad for her. The way she responded a timid "yes" to Taki-sensei kinda broke my heart.
May 26, 10:28 AM
Mar 2015
Our gril got beat out for solo by Kuroe and the other euph was outed Bad vibes on the romance front
May 26, 10:28 AM
Apr 2019
Well it was to be expected, if Mayu didn't get picked then there would have been no point in all this mess, sad for Kumiko but if she got picked half of the season would have been pretty pointless
May 26, 10:31 AM

Mar 2008
I was commenting that there isn't any other animation studio in Japan able to deliver, on a weekly TV series, this level of quality and attention and "acting". But now that I'm thinking... isn't like there are many stories that demand this level of quality in anime...

Anyway, that spoons as scales alone makes this a fantastic episode.

And what pleasure was seeing both Kumiko and Kanade humbled!
May 26, 10:32 AM
Jul 2014
Already expected the twist ever since they introduced Mayu, but holy shit that announcement scene definitely did not feel comfortable watching. This is the 2nd audition and I think there is probably a third? So the plot line checks out (Kumiko played soli for the first, then she will lose it in the 2nd which is what happened just now, and eventually get back the soli part for the Nationals).

I tend to be aware of separating how I feel about what is happening in a story and how good it is but damn this episode is so hard to stomach.
May 26, 10:48 AM
May 26, 10:52 AM

Mar 2020
The training camp goes by, and the tension is at a fever pitch...

One particular thing so worthy of praise in this season so far is how it feels tense, while not being overtly dramatic with the directing or soundtrack. The subtle movements, characters fidgeting for that extra second, that makes it much more tense than if you just played Beethoven's "Symphony No. 5" over a scene, for example. That's the extra mile that KyoAni takes, and I'll always appreciate things like that.

Mayu and Kumiko's interactions have been tense, and sometimes, just difficult to watch. Their awkwardness stems from the fact that their mindset towards these auditions are virtually the opposite. The question is, how much does Kumiko actually believe in what she is saying with how Kitauji should operate? No matter what the case may be, Kumiko got what she wanted in a fair audition, and it ends up going Mayu's way. With the new format of the auditions though, there is still ample opportunity for Kumiko to bounce back, and she'll need to reflect if she wants to perform with Reina at the Nationals. The pressure won't get any easier on the new president, that's for sure.

What I would love to know as well is, what did Motomu and Midori talk about during the night? Though perhaps, "there are some things you're just better off not knowing".
May 26, 10:54 AM

Jan 2022
Best Euphonium episode so far.

Kumiko and Mayu tension (apparently) resolved and some undisclosed progress on what's going on between Motomu and Sapphire. And I don't feel sorry for Kanade. She should focus more on her euphonium than sowing discord within her section and the band.

Also note Motomu's changed reaction when his surname was mentioned. Excellent showing of little details like this.
May 26, 11:02 AM

Jan 2022
Reply to EgatammaN
@SUPER_CANNES I know, I mean her consideration level is so absurd that I think it feels like she's being sarcastic and looking down on Kumiko. IRL, Mayu wouldn't survive in whatever environment she's in, some people (Including me) really hates being treated like that, usually people's reaction would be the same as Kumiko's during the bath scene, it is surprising it took Kumiko 8 episode to snap since it's annoying.

If Kumiko said it's fine, then it's fine, Mayu shouldn't repeat the same question for 8 episodes in a row (Though Kumiko took an L because of this but Kumiko said she wanted Kitauji to wins then so be it)
@EgatammaN Can confirm. I was like Mayu when I was in high school and I got told more than once that my concern, to them, appeared like I'm looking down on them.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

IzanaSolos - Jun 23

335 by ShinigamiGang »»
Jul 25, 6:54 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Jun 16

89 by ShinigamiGang »»
Jul 25, 6:28 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Jun 9

93 by ShinigamiGang »»
Jul 25, 3:29 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IzanaSolos - Jun 2

108 by ShinigamiGang »»
Jul 25, 2:37 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - May 5

96 by ShinigamiGang »»
Jul 24, 8:30 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.