Forum Settings
Forums

What is the least importan aspect of an anime?

New
May 11, 9:38 AM

Mar 2023
The least importan aspect for me is the music. A show can have very shity music and still be enjoyable to me and i think that most anime OST is generic anyway.
May 11, 9:40 AM

Feb 2020
Depends on the show, but maybe voice acting. For me, the story, characters, animation, and OST are more important.

And I'm talking about the main aspects, not some random background characters, hair styles, etc.

SerafosMay 11, 10:16 AM
May 11, 9:44 AM

May 2019
The least important aspect of anime is background character designs.

May 11, 9:45 AM

Jun 2010
For me, it will be the presentation like the outfit and hair style. Characters can be wearing the same clothing and having the same hair style throughout the entire series is fine with me.
May 11, 9:53 AM

Sep 2016
Least important is everything I don't care about.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 11, 10:36 AM

Sep 2018
I guess it's the animation during the action scenes, since they usually amount to less than 10% of an episode even in action-packed anime (Japanese limited animation exists because the bulk of an episode is made of characters standing still and talking, after all). If the remaining 90% is boring and/or ugly, a well animated 10% won't matter.

I could have said voice acting, but its impact might be not so obvious. I mean that a character's likability might depend on voice acting more than it seems, even if just subconsciously.

Spunkert said:
most anime OST is generic anyway.

That's exactly why the few OSTs that stand out can make a big difference for me.
May 11, 11:04 AM

Feb 2024
Manga it's based on. I don't care about source material if the outcome is great.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
May 11, 11:16 AM

Sep 2018
Least important aspect is easily diversity and representation.
May 11, 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
That's a pretty difficult one to answer, it's all important to me. I guess faithfulness to the source material. I can enjoy an anime separate of their manga and vice versa.
May 11, 11:37 AM

May 2021
it’s between character design, art-style, and OST—probably character design most of all though

all are still important but if one was lacking I could still find a show to be top tier based on how the characters are written, the story, the pacing, and the voice acting
May 11, 11:37 AM

Oct 2013
Probably fanservice. I enjoy it, but I don't need it...mostly. No wait...cutesy characters is a better answer. I don't need characters to be obnoxiously cute to enjoy something.
May 11, 12:01 PM

Oct 2017
For me it would have to be the studio, as the director and staff are much more important and even "bad" studios may have some great directors that can save some shows
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
May 11, 12:09 PM

Aug 2018
I love anime openings and endings, but they are probably the least important in the overall scheme of things.
May 11, 12:14 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to FanofAction
Probably fanservice. I enjoy it, but I don't need it...mostly. No wait...cutesy characters is a better answer. I don't need characters to be obnoxiously cute to enjoy something.
FanofAction said:

^Most likely this as everything else is like equally important aspect TBH.
May 11, 12:19 PM
Jun 2023
I think have blonde haired characters is the least important. Like I get that they are edgy and stuff but like come on... its stupid af. just give me a brunette with some nice round melons and let me sit back and jork it... it isn't that deep
May 11, 12:20 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to Bboss0720
I think have blonde haired characters is the least important. Like I get that they are edgy and stuff but like come on... its stupid af. just give me a brunette with some nice round melons and let me sit back and jork it... it isn't that deep
@Bboss0720 NOW this is a great take.
May 11, 12:22 PM

Jun 2016
music, except if it is a musical anime ofc
May 13, 7:30 AM

Jul 2017
Anime openings and endings if they aren't really used or integrated into the story of the show. It's nice to have and it helps with building a playlist, and can even show off animation very well to build a lot of hype but I don't think they are that important to me when looking at whether a show is really good or not. If a show has a great opening and the actual anime is very boring, I don't really give bonus points for the opening that don't add much to the actual anime itself. When it comes to OSTs though present in the actual episode, that does matter to me a lot more. I don't need every good anime to have an elite soundtrack but it should be immersive enough with the kind of show it is used for and compliment it well to not be a distraction.
May 13, 7:37 AM

Oct 2018
The least obviously is the story, if an anime has good animation and good music, it's an instant 8/10+
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
May 13, 7:59 AM

Jan 2009
voice acting for me since even the most shitty voices (as per complain by fans) is still good enough for me like i even watch dubs as long as its available first
May 13, 8:12 AM

Aug 2020
Characters generally speaking. Even the ones that tick me off the most like Frieren characters and the Zenitsu-Inosuke combo everything else about those two shows simply prevent me from hating them as well as enabling me to complete them still.

Another one's the music as long as it isn't the generic vocals especially the moany ones (mostly with modern anime).
May 13, 8:49 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Opening and Ending, because I skip them anyway :)

But representation is still the most unimportant one tho~

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
May 13, 9:30 AM

Apr 2012
You can come up with any number of totally important aspects. Like the total number of blue pixels.
May 13, 9:53 AM

Jul 2013
Anime is just another low-quality, mass-produced junk of industrial civilization. Sold for profit just fyi.
Aug 3, 8:47 AM

Jan 2018
music. it can contribute significantly if done right during particular scenes but it's also like a double edged sword. mha movie battle music was a miss for me.
Aug 3, 12:58 PM

Jul 2013
I would have to say that the moral intergrity of the MCs is the least important aspect of an anime show. So degenerate perverts--like Issei Hyoudou from Highschool DxD--are perfectly fine for me.
Aug 3, 1:01 PM
May 2017
Anime (and manga) do not need to be politically correct.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Aug 3, 1:03 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to leonardobarba
Anime (and manga) do not need to be politically correct.
@leonardobarba why do you make that assumption? Censorship laws still apply to anime btw.
Aug 3, 1:11 PM
May 2023
It's music for me as well.. opening and ending songs or OSTs in anime dun matter at all for me... only OST's I ever cared for were the ones in video games..
Aug 3, 1:13 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to Luchipher-Zen
It's music for me as well.. opening and ending songs or OSTs in anime dun matter at all for me... only OST's I ever cared for were the ones in video games..
@Luchipher-Zen and how can you ignore something as important as music in an anime show? That sounds downright unbelievable.
Aug 3, 1:16 PM

Nov 2020
Least important aspect for me is hairstyle. They can have any
Aug 3, 1:21 PM
May 2023
Reply to DesuMaiden
@Luchipher-Zen and how can you ignore something as important as music in an anime show? That sounds downright unbelievable.
@DesuMaiden I know right.. well it's just my innate capacity to do something unbelievable like that.. music and songs in an anime are of no significance to me...
Aug 3, 1:40 PM
May 2017
Reply to DesuMaiden
@leonardobarba why do you make that assumption? Censorship laws still apply to anime btw.
@DesuMaiden Censorship and political correctness are unrelated.
Aug 3, 1:44 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to leonardobarba
@DesuMaiden Censorship and political correctness are unrelated.
@leonardobarba no, they are totally related. Politically incorrect stuff is regularly censored on the Internet.
Aug 3, 2:35 PM
May 2017
Reply to DesuMaiden
@leonardobarba no, they are totally related. Politically incorrect stuff is regularly censored on the Internet.
@DesuMaiden 1984 followers are commonplace -- not only on the Internet -- but being politically incorrect per se should not cause censorship.
Aug 3, 2:57 PM

Dec 2021
Probably ADR direction... since I don't watch anime dubbed, for personal reasons.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Aug 3, 3:16 PM

Dec 2022
Voice acting, at least for a sub watcher like myself. For the most part, I rarely pay it any mind, even when the voice acting is average or mediocre.

Then again, maybe OPs and EDs are the least important aspect of an anime for me, since I opt to skip them entirely when possible. Even when I do notice particularly exceptional OPs/EDs, I only make the effort to listen to them on YouTube, rather than sitting through them in each episode of a series.

Shaded Horizon

Aug 3, 4:03 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to leonardobarba
@DesuMaiden 1984 followers are commonplace -- not only on the Internet -- but being politically incorrect per se should not cause censorship.
@leonardobarba that is a bold-face lie. Anyone, who tells the truth about capitalism being a scam and Near Term Human Extinction being an inevitability, is automatically censored online. Those elites cannot handle the truth being leaked out because they are cowards.
Aug 3, 4:38 PM
May 2017
Reply to DesuMaiden
@leonardobarba that is a bold-face lie. Anyone, who tells the truth about capitalism being a scam and Near Term Human Extinction being an inevitability, is automatically censored online. Those elites cannot handle the truth being leaked out because they are cowards.
@DesuMaiden Thank you for the enlightenment.
Aug 3, 5:02 PM

Aug 2017
Probably the ending. I just skip all endings (except in Anime movie where they lack openings). Reasons:

1) I play AMQ so my brain don't have space for more songs especially when many Anime has more endings than openings.
2) Not a fan of most endings songs.
3) The opening represent the Anime better than the ending.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 3, 5:14 PM

Nov 2015
Aspect ratio. Black bars or not, makes no difference to me
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night

Removes the colours from our sight

Red is grey and yellow white

But we decide which is right

And which is an illusion.
Aug 3, 5:29 PM

Apr 2024
for me, tbh, audio language. I'll read subs, enjoy dubs, one time I think I watched an episode of an anime in Spanish to help me learn, whatever
"Dreams are worth fighting for"
Backloggery | YouTube | Heatmap
Aug 3, 9:47 PM

Sep 2020
A desire to appeal to all kinds of people.

Everyone is an annoying contrarian who doesn't even have morality sorted out for themselves or has ridiculous double standards that contradict their own moral compass so it makes no sense to appeal to wide-sweeping audiences. Anime should continue to appeal more to niche groups.
TheSuaveAug 3, 11:20 PM
I LOVE Loli Hentai

Send me a PM if you want to debate my talking points.
Aug 3, 10:05 PM
Sep 2020
The fan service IMO. A show can have romance or slice of life but wouldnt mind if it didnt have those classic trips or panty shots.
Aug 4, 1:01 AM

Jul 2021
Opening songs. They are just there to make the episode longer so they need to animate less content.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Aug 4, 1:55 AM
Apr 2024
I highly respect everything related to the making of anime but if I had to choose than the ending song, most shows will lose nothing by not having an ending song
Aug 4, 2:35 AM

Jul 2024
Anime is like a popular dish.
You leave one least important thing out and it's inedible..
Aug 5, 1:13 PM
Jul 2024
Reply to DesuMaiden
@DesuMaiden Yes, I got censored on CR for this, when they had comments. And I was only talking UFO rumors. LOL
Aug 5, 2:20 PM

Jul 2013
Obviously the plot never mattered. Duh.

More topics from this board

» Misleading, out of context, or outright fake knowledge about various titles ( 1 2 )

RobertBobert - Yesterday

81 by RobertBobert »»
9 seconds ago

» Localization examples you can quote?

EmiliaHoarfrost - 6 hours ago

7 by rohan121 »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you dislike low-resolution anime shows? ( 1 2 3 )

DesuMaiden - Sep 22

103 by DesuMaiden »»
8 minutes ago

» What are some frequently used plot devices used in anime/manga but are not observed a lot in real life?

Lincompoop - Sep 23

11 by Nirinbo »»
12 minutes ago

» Does Watching YTVideos/TikTok make you an Anime Fan?

BerriesSan - 6 hours ago

13 by Saputrai »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.