Forum Settings
Forums

What percentage of anime that you've seen did you pirate?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 14, 3:25 AM

Jul 2015
My honest reaction to this question (real):
Apr 14, 3:41 AM

Feb 2021
Very low. I only really pirate anime that aren't on Crunchyroll, Hidive, Disney+, or Netflix, or that I don't have on DVD or Blu-ray. Only real exceptions is if I have to wait for official streams, there's an issue with the official stream, or it's Tokyo Revengers which got butchered on Crunchyroll and Disney+.
Apr 14, 3:54 AM
May 2018
Probably over 95%, with the exception being some anime movies which I own DVDs for
Apr 14, 4:09 AM

Nov 2023
Reply to DesuMaiden
@Pinoffin is it full episodes? Because nobody wants to just see short clips or AMVs of anime shows. People wanna see FULL EPISODES OF ANIME.
@DesuMaiden yeah! But only in Asia.

I know people make promises all the time
Then they turn right around and break them
When someone cuts your heart open with a knife, now you're bleeding
But I could be that guy to heal it over time
And I won't stop until you believe it
'Cause baby you're worth it
Apr 14, 4:25 AM

Jan 2021
around 95% of titles on my list I watched on pirate sites
Apr 14, 4:50 AM

Nov 2023
Fine, 70%, because big evil corporate companies are not gettin my money plus I wanna screenshot cool scenes. though since because of my lucky spawn point some services already freely provided them

Manga is 100% because my bookstore only has a few common shonens that already got an adaptation and they are inconsistent release and shit overpriced. The largest which have a decent selection one is very far away.
Ratris_DecisionApr 14, 4:57 AM
Apr 14, 5:43 AM

Feb 2023
Around 12%, only looking at the last 10 years it would be more around 8~9%.

Nowadays I mostly just pirate what's not available through legitimate streaming. Overall I would say that watching anime is pretty cheap unless you buy them as Blu ray/DVD, and most paid services have become good enough that I prefer watching there compared to pirating.
It works for me, but it probably depends a lot on the individual situation/region.
Apr 14, 6:37 AM

Oct 2019
Right until 2023, I'd say a good 95% of them were pirated. These days, it's looking like 80%.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 14, 6:39 AM
Aug 2017
100%, never paid for something I don't get to try first.
Apr 14, 6:44 AM

Feb 2021
KietaTeenRomance said:
I doubt even 1% of the price of a Crunchyroll signature actually goes to Japan.
And why do you say only 1% goes to Japan?

Yes, one subscription doesn't cost 100 dollars per month, that's the appeal of them, but its the millions of people signing a $7 subscription that are making a difference.
If anime producers were really not making that much money from them, the anime industry wouldn't be recording record high profits in streaming and oversas licenses each year. Anyone who follows the AJA reports each year would know this.

And like I said, you literally have anime produced by CR on your favs.
Apr 14, 6:56 AM
Oct 2019
Reply to KietaTeenRomance
I honestly don't care. I don't think that me signing a Crunchyroll subscription would help the industry, or that me using piracy is harming it. It's hypocritical to say that you're proud that you're helping the anime industry by signing some streaming service while you've never bought an anime blu ray, merch or manga in the Japanese BookWalker or something.

@KietaTeenRomance Cr has now have 13M subscribers at 7$ per month it's 91M per month if you go that each season a show cost between 100,000 and 500,000$ per episode depending the series and that they license the most out of the 5 in the west. Then no they definitely send money to Japan plus each deal is also sighed with % royalties based on viewership plus add all the money from the anime they co-produce and in total they definitely send more that 1%.
Apr 14, 7:17 AM

Mar 2017
Nice try feds.... (100% piracy btw)
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Apr 14, 7:40 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to red-tomato
Nice try feds.... (100% piracy btw)
@red-tomato there is no such thing as 100% privacy on the Internet. But it is likely the OP is just a cop ;)
Apr 14, 8:04 AM
Apr 2020
Piracy of movies is what first led me into watching my first anime. I will continue to pirate but if it is available on Netflix or Youtube for free, that is when I'm not pirating unless I can find a better translation.
Apr 14, 9:36 AM

Dec 2020
Probably about 60%
Streaming services tend to really only have newer seasonal stuff, I'd say 90% of the shows I watch came out over 5 years ago.
Apr 14, 11:27 AM

Jun 2009
As far as "first time views" go, literally 100%. I DID buy plenty of the stuff I enjoyed later on though.
Apr 14, 12:08 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to Zettaiken
Almost 100% as a couple/several stuff I've seen through Netflix.
Zettaiken said:
Almost 100% as a couple/several stuff I've seen through Netflix.

Same here as well as some anime movies in theaters during a limited run.
Apr 14, 12:28 PM

Jul 2013
Despite the OP likely being a cop, many people are falling for his bait.
Apr 14, 12:47 PM

May 2023
+95% .. Only the shows that I got to watch on TV are excluded..
Apr 14, 1:19 PM

Apr 2023
Then they complain that this anime didn't receive a new season...
Apr 14, 1:29 PM

Mar 2023
Probably 99% of it. I'm very greedy,
Apr 14, 2:25 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to LuckasWolf
Then they complain that this anime didn't receive a new season...
@LuckasWolf and why would you wanna contribute to the production of more anime into the future ;p ????
Apr 14, 2:40 PM

Feb 2022
100%of them. and no, I dont feel bad!!!!
Apr 14, 3:31 PM

May 2021
About 93%. Although I have legal sites to watch them, I've gotten so used to watching them pirated that I prefer the latter.

Apr 14, 3:53 PM

Mar 2024
There's no way for me to know that. I do try to be mindful of which anime are available to me for free, even if it feels insignificant to do so.
MaroonedisbackApr 14, 3:56 PM
Apr 14, 4:01 PM

Dec 2019
probably 99% atp cuz I used to have a CR sub years ago
manga 95% for english cuz of the same reason

I pirate cuz data hoarding is fun lol
Apr 14, 4:35 PM

Apr 2015
Reply to Spunkert
Probably 99% of it. I'm very greedy,
@Spunkert A corpo missing out on a few dollars doesn't mean you're greedy.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Apr 14, 4:50 PM
Feb 2021
Roughly 95–98%. I watched some of it through Netflix because it was convenient.
Apr 14, 5:11 PM

Mar 2021
Almost, sometimes I see what looks like piracy on youtubede, but I think it's zero. I can watch new releases if I want to watch them in real time, and since I subscribe to a paid video subscription service, I don't feel the need to watch pirated copies.

Apr 14, 5:48 PM

Feb 2014
100%. I'm not going to give my money to a bunch of western corporations that will use it to fund their degenerate alphabet and far left agenda. The only thing anime related I've bought is the first volume of Spice and wolf light novel.
Apr 14, 6:32 PM

Feb 2021
Vhailor said:
100%. I'm not going to give my money to a bunch of western corporations that will use it to fund their degenerate alphabet and far left agenda. The only thing anime related I've bought is the first volume of Spice and wolf light novel.
"fund their far left agenda" and what they really do is fund anime like Shield Hero which got actual sjws on twitter mad, how ironic....
Apr 14, 6:42 PM

May 2023
@animegamer245 The main reason I could think of is this is because unlike in games, where there is a significant difference between the pirated stuff and commercially acquired product, in movies, TV series etc, what pirated goods and services are almost same as proprietary ones.

Like in pirated games, there is chance of malware etc, then installation problems [missing DLLs all all that shit] frequent crashes, locked content like multiplayer etc. and delayed or no bonus content and patches.. Some of these issues are faced by legal buyers too, but mostly pirates taking risk are end the disadvantageous end.

But in case of visual media? Not much setback is there.. Earlier one setback was delay between airing and feature on pirate site. Also, network development was slow. Now all that is gone (though risk of malware~adware etc and slight delay is still there). So, some people can't digest that risk taking pirates get the stuff same stuff they pay for..
Apr 14, 7:05 PM

Sep 2008
I'd say roughly in the ball park of 50-55% with watching current season titles, dabbling into anything unlicensed, or wanting to see some long out of print title that I don't feel like paying an arm and a leg to track down a physical copy of.

I've purchased physical media, rented titles, watched through TV programming, and streamed legally. But won't deny piracy also gave me exposure to unlicensed titles that have gotten my interest over the years and likely wouldn't have otherwise been able to see if I didn't resort to piracy to dabble into them.
Apr 14, 7:11 PM
Mar 2017
Considering whatever ends up on Youtube, other sources, or physical/digital legit. Yeah.....

Youtube mostly has clips but you had the odd episodes.

That's not counting the Asian region youtube channels. Like Muse Anime and a few others. People seem to forget or know that's a thing.

I only have a small percentage of Anime DVDs/Blu-rays or Manga Tankoban in English physical. Most of are more recent series (unless re-releases of Devil is a Part Timer S1 or Lucky Star), anything older nah I'd have to look a bit for them.

When it comes to chapters or episodes it's digital for sure. But if they are available yes physical whenever the series gets a chance. If it's manga only I go for it. If it's anime only if it's both depends on what is available first or more suitable at the time. Anime disappears while manga stays on the shelf for a long time. That and the anime shelf is tiny if you don't get them they go quick, only few copies (of the 1 on the shelf every few weeks if people even buy them), the manga shelf is large.

Seeing as the store I did get anime from (music store but had movies/tv shows) moved RIP (sure I barely saw any in there but I mean I couldn't get anime at the time, there was some series I wanted but just couldn't buy them. I only have 1 store for anime now (the tiny shelf one, sure it's made up of appliances, games, movies/tv shows but a tiny anime shelf then other locations of the store have larger anime shelves my area store just happens to be tiny).

The comic book store in my area only sells action series/major stuff so I only have the book store that sells whatever in it and just happens to have manga luckily in it. Sure a large shelf but 90% of the time I'm ordering them to get broad up to my store. XD Very few times anymore do they have volumes I want for the series I want to keep reading.

Sure I read many School Rumble volumes or Kimi Ni Todoki volume 1 (have my own 1st volume copy now) in my local library but they reworked themselves and well the manga section isn't easy to search online for anymore and haven't used the library in years so no clue what it's actually like since it's changes of renovation and clearly removing the manga section I assume or the apps are so useless to filter things. How disappointing. Libraries not offering such literature how dare they. At least local shopping centres offer drawing manga events.

So seeing as some series are impossible to access.

Let alone movies never reaching cinemas yeah it's not surprising digital becomes an option for many series.
Suntanned_Duck2Apr 14, 7:17 PM
Apr 14, 7:16 PM

Jun 2015
i sail the seas often. its just more convenient

Apr 14, 7:37 PM

Nov 2013
Its just one dude on this site man...
Apr 14, 7:43 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to DGemu
Its just one dude on this site man...
@DGemu Two, actually. Like testicles, they always come in twos.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Apr 14, 7:58 PM

Jul 2022
A couple episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh! Sevens that never aired on Disney since they were recaps.

Based on my MAL stats, that's 40 minutes out of 42.4 days, so...0.06%?
Apr 14, 8:04 PM

Feb 2023
This post glows like the south bound side of a north bound firefly.
haha...nice try fed

Apr 14, 9:31 PM

Aug 2010
It depends what you count as "pirating". Mostly I do things by the books nowadays, but back in the late 90s through 2000s, I have to admit I mostly read/watched stuff on random websites.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Apr 14, 10:48 PM
Jul 2018
Maybe 60%, the rest I saw airing on television growing up.
Apr 15, 5:51 AM
May 2012
Kinda everything except my "on hold list" which is from when I was a kid and did watch those shows on TV.
"Pirating" anime is kind of stupid concept and mindset, pirates were scum, they did not just steal but murder and many other awful things.
I do not consider making a copy of a digital data "stealing". It is wrong, I do agree. But not so much wrong, I'm pretty sure I would not buy the 99% of the things I downloaded. You are always free to buy what you do enjoy even after having downloaded and seen it, you can also pay your tribute to the author by talking about it and spread good words making in fact free advertising.
Apr 15, 9:12 AM

Nov 2019
Hmm I would say 99% has been watched pirated and this won't change until we have one platform with all anime ever broadcasted available on

死神

What do you think are the most important things in life? Money, dreams, sympathy towards others...

Yes, they're all important things as well... But the most important thing is responsibility for your own actions.
- Yuichi
Apr 15, 9:22 AM

Aug 2013
100%, I am downloading everything in blu-ray quality when available and with localized subtitles only.
Apr 15, 9:29 AM

Jul 2021
99%. pirated all except tokyo revengers

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Apr 15, 9:29 AM

Oct 2017
I honestly don't care. I don't think that me signing a Crunchyroll subscription would help the industry, or that me using piracy is harming it. It's hypocritical to say that you're proud that you're helping the anime industry by signing some streaming service while you've never bought an anime blu ray, merch or manga in the Japanese BookWalker or something.

@KietaTeenRomance

Objectively 50% of the industry's income is coming from international profits which you can look at through the AJA data. I highly doubt most Western fans are buying expensive BDs as the primary way to fund the industry. Most are largely just streaming and the fact companies like Netflix are investing heavily into anime, the fact CR's paid userbase has increased 10x in the last few years and the fact other companies are investing into anime streaming seems like that yeah that is the main factor of growth of international funding, which is the primary driver of growth for the entire industry at large.

Granted I don't even have to bring that up. The fact CR, during the Winter 2023 season was on the production committee for 1/5 of the shows being produced that season means they are directly funding about 20% of shows out there in some seasons. So actually your assertion is pretty flawed.

So this isn't about doubt, it's more about being factually wrong because some of you have issues with CR over culture war nonsense. Objectively if Western funding imploded half of the industry's profits would be gone? You think that wouldn't impact the industry? We have more sequels and shows than ever before and partially it's because streaming has flooded into the industry. If that goes away well it's not going to just be whatever mainstream anime that you like disappearing, it's going to be nicher titles too.

So yeah, I mean just be a leech but stop pretending that streaming money doesn't benefit the industry because objectively it does. I was fine being one for years. May not benefit animators, however, if you want to see a sequel of a show it absolutely contributes.
Apr 15, 11:00 AM

Mar 2023

@KietaTeenRomance Neah. Crunchyroll used to be transparent and say that about half of the subscription goes on licenses. With the tendency nowadays, it's definitely more than half on just licenses
watsymApr 15, 11:09 AM
Apr 15, 11:07 AM

Apr 2012
About 10% of my list I own on DVD or Bluray. Probably about another 10% I've seen from other peoples' DVDs or Blurays. So about 80% I have only seen through "piracy", which I think is what people should be actually interested in.
Apr 15, 11:13 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Vhailor
@Vhailor "Degenerate alphabet". Wow, internet fascists are getting crazier and crazier.
Apr 15, 11:19 AM

Nov 2016
I'll estimate about 90% of my list. However if a show ends up being a favourite I always end up getting the blu ray at some point as I like the look of them on my shelf and I end up rewatching them at some point.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» What is good animation?

LenRea - May 24

26 by Ratris_Decision »»
23 seconds ago

» Do you feel shameful listening to cutesy Anime Song?

Dragevard - 11 minutes ago

6 by BigBoyAdvance »»
2 minutes ago

» The Impact of Anime on Global Pop Culture

LenRea - Yesterday

10 by ST63LTH »»
2 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby?

Anjuro - Yesterday

47 by SwordBreaker36 »»
4 minutes ago

» Love at first sight XD ( 1 2 3 4 )

kirAth-shiAue - Mar 24, 2007

170 by SwordBreaker36 »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.