Forum Settings
Forums
New
not all opinions are equal and valid?
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Feb 29, 6:42 AM

Aug 2014
trinitroglycerin said:
Ok so i just documented myself about the american legislation regarding hate speech and you might be right. Guess that's another reason why your country is fucked up and i would never live there.

No, your country is a fucked up totalitarian shithole for violating people's fundamental right to freedom of speech and expression...stealing from, kidnapping and imprisoning them if someone says something they don't like...even physically harming or killing them if they resist tyranny. Without freedom of speech, effectively no one has any rights.
Feb 29, 6:45 AM

May 2022
Reply to SmugSatoko
trinitroglycerin said:
Ok so i just documented myself about the american legislation regarding hate speech and you might be right. Guess that's another reason why your country is fucked up and i would never live there.

No, your country is a fucked up totalitarian shithole for violating people's fundamental right to freedom of speech and expression...stealing from, kidnapping and imprisoning them if someone says something they don't like...even physically harming or killing them if they resist tyranny. Without freedom of speech, effectively no one has any rights.
@SmugSatoko Lol. And what may my country be? I didn't even put it in my bio.
Feb 29, 6:46 AM

Aug 2014
trinitroglycerin said:
Lol. And what may my country be? I didn't even put it in my bio.

Doesn't matter. You already implied your country does that.
Feb 29, 6:56 AM

May 2022
Reply to SmugSatoko
trinitroglycerin said:
Lol. And what may my country be? I didn't even put it in my bio.

Doesn't matter. You already implied your country does that.
@SmugSatoko Well i'm french. And lemme tell you that we are one of the freest countries in the world. We just punish people spreading hate and discrimination. Which is why we don't have racial crimes commited by by our cops themselves... :)
Feb 29, 7:06 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to SmugSatoko
trinitroglycerin said:
Nah i meant you shouldn't be able to express such opinions in public.

And I am telling you that you are unable to enforce such tyranny upon others. It's nothing but a fantasy.

Here in the United States, we have freedom of speech. If you want to remove that, you will have to come here and fight us. Good luck. ;)
@SmugSatoko I agree that hate speech should be allowed, but not the violence and structural discrimination that develops from it.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Feb 29, 7:25 AM

Aug 2014
trinitroglycerin said:
Well i'm french. And lemme tell you that we are one of the freest countries in the world.

I stand by everything I said. Being freer than numerous other countries does not mean being free. A society without free speech cannot be free in any meaningful way.

We just punish people spreading hate and discrimination.

You have presented no legitimate justification for this. All you've done is state your desire for people to not be allowed to say what they wish, declaring yourself an enemy of free thought and liberty.

Which is why we don't have racial crimes commited by by our cops themselves... :)

Really? Not a single racially motivated crime committed by a French police officer?

Any individual (including a police officer) can commit a racially motivated crime, but there is no evidence of this phenomenon existing systemically in the American police force in recent history. (Racist attitudes, perhaps...but not racial crimes by cops happening consistently enough to be systemic.)

Additionally, you won't be able to prove that suppressing speech is the reason for a lack of racist cops or whatever it is you are suggesting. Correlation is not causation.
Feb 29, 7:49 AM

Jun 2019
Hey guys, let me know next time you decide to shit on France!

SmugSatoko said:

Your post is a bit hyperbolic, but the current constitution gives way too much personal power to the President, and the violent police repression is unpleasantly reminiscent of some fascist regimes...

trinitroglycerin said:
One of the first things i learned in my philosophy classes in highschool is that not all opinions are equal. Some of them are wrong and harmfull and should not be allowed. That's all i've got to say

It seems that the teaching of philosophy has declined a lot in France. Going from "not all opinions are equal" to "they should not be allowed" is a huge logical leap, and it should certainly be the state to decree what opinions are acceptable. Philosophy should actually teach you how to fight against misled people, not censor them, which will only make the situation worse. As my philosophy teacher liked to say: "You should not burn bad books, you should criticise them." The only laws that make sense are those that ban slander and defamation.

trinitroglycerin said:
Well i'm french. And lemme tell you that we are one of the freest countries in the world. We just punish people spreading hate and discrimination. Which is why we don't have racial crimes commited by by our cops themselves... :)

The propaganda you guys receive at school is insane, but I am bewildered to observe that it works on some naïve minds. See where the Lumières led us! How about the fundamental right to protest? Have you forgotten about the "yellow vests" (gilets jaunes)? Do you remember about the recent protests against the retirement pension reform?

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20230324-rights-groups-accuse-french-police-of-brutality-in-pension-protests

Well, France conveniently does not publish racial statistics, but police brutality is a sad reality:

https://news.un.org/en/story/2023/06/1138247

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20201129-live-paris-prosecutor-speaks-on-brutal-police-beating-of-black-man

You can find innumerable instances of mere passers-by being arbitrarily detained by the police, and if a heavily armed Praetorian Guard is the only thing that keeps the so-called "Republic" together, you cannot say that you live in a true democracy.

Under the disguise of feminism and the dreary "value of the Republic," Muslim women are prevented from wearing the clothes they want, and the psychosis has become so intense that clothes devoid of religious meaning (like the kameez) have recently been banned banned from school—meanwhile, the average level of reading and mathematics of pupils is plummeting. Feminism should be about giving women the freedom to do what they want, not to force them to wear a crop top and a skirt if they do not want to. Once more, France does not live by what it preaches.

France is a very hypocrite regime that is racist but pretends that race does not exist (how convenient), that is secular (laïc) but has in fact atheism as a state religion (see how violent it is against most religions, and especially Islam), that is a champion of feminism but infringes upon the basic rights of women, that is violent but pretends to be the vanguard of human rights—which only means the rights of white Europeans. If France is one of the freest country in the world, it sets the standard really low.

P.S. You can reply in French if you prefer.
Feb 29, 8:48 AM

May 2022
Reply to Meusnier

SmugSatoko said:

Your post is a bit hyperbolic, but the current constitution gives way too much personal power to the President, and the violent police repression is unpleasantly reminiscent of some fascist regimes...

trinitroglycerin said:
One of the first things i learned in my philosophy classes in highschool is that not all opinions are equal. Some of them are wrong and harmfull and should not be allowed. That's all i've got to say

It seems that the teaching of philosophy has declined a lot in France. Going from "not all opinions are equal" to "they should not be allowed" is a huge logical leap, and it should certainly be the state to decree what opinions are acceptable. Philosophy should actually teach you how to fight against misled people, not censor them, which will only make the situation worse. As my philosophy teacher liked to say: "You should not burn bad books, you should criticise them." The only laws that make sense are those that ban slander and defamation.

trinitroglycerin said:
Well i'm french. And lemme tell you that we are one of the freest countries in the world. We just punish people spreading hate and discrimination. Which is why we don't have racial crimes commited by by our cops themselves... :)

The propaganda you guys receive at school is insane, but I am bewildered to observe that it works on some naïve minds. See where the Lumières led us! How about the fundamental right to protest? Have you forgotten about the "yellow vests" (gilets jaunes)? Do you remember about the recent protests against the retirement pension reform?

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20230324-rights-groups-accuse-french-police-of-brutality-in-pension-protests

Well, France conveniently does not publish racial statistics, but police brutality is a sad reality:

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20201129-live-paris-prosecutor-speaks-on-brutal-police-beating-of-black-man

You can find innumerable instances of mere passers-by being arbitrarily detained by the police, and if a heavily armed Praetorian Guard is the only thing that keeps the so-called "Republic" together, you cannot say that you live in a true democracy.

Under the disguise of feminism and the dreary "value of the Republic," Muslim women are prevented from wearing the clothes they want, and the psychosis has become so intense that clothes devoid of religious meaning (like the kameez) have recently been banned banned from school—meanwhile, the average level of reading and mathematics of pupils is plummeting. Feminism should be about giving women the freedom to do what they want, not to force them to wear a crop top and a skirt if they do not want to. Once more, France does not live by what it preaches.

France is a very hypocrite regime that is racist but pretends that race does not exist (how convenient), that is secular (laïc) but has in fact atheism as a state religion (see how violent it is against most religions, and especially Islam), that is a champion of feminism but infringes upon the basic rights of women, that is violent but pretends to be the vanguard of human rights—which only means the rights of white Europeans. If France is one of the freest country in the world, it sets the standard really low.

@Meusnier Ecoutes, si tu déteste la France c'est ton choix mais moi je suis fier d'être français, fier de vivre dans un pays laïque, libre et démocratique.
Feb 29, 9:00 AM

May 2022
Reply to SmugSatoko
trinitroglycerin said:
Well i'm french. And lemme tell you that we are one of the freest countries in the world.

I stand by everything I said. Being freer than numerous other countries does not mean being free. A society without free speech cannot be free in any meaningful way.

We just punish people spreading hate and discrimination.

You have presented no legitimate justification for this. All you've done is state your desire for people to not be allowed to say what they wish, declaring yourself an enemy of free thought and liberty.

Which is why we don't have racial crimes commited by by our cops themselves... :)

Really? Not a single racially motivated crime committed by a French police officer?

Any individual (including a police officer) can commit a racially motivated crime, but there is no evidence of this phenomenon existing systemically in the American police force in recent history. (Racist attitudes, perhaps...but not racial crimes by cops happening consistently enough to be systemic.)

Additionally, you won't be able to prove that suppressing speech is the reason for a lack of racist cops or whatever it is you are suggesting. Correlation is not causation.
@SmugSatoko Bro i won't let an american try to talk me down.
Your country is a miserable one where any unstable psychopath can go buy war weapons and kill dozens of preschoolers.
You litterally had Trump as your president for 4 whole years and he is one racist scumbag.
You're trying to make me believe that the systemic murders of black americans wern't what caused the Black Lives Matter Movement?
You litterally have a state religion when France is laic and protects the beliefs of all. You can go to a clinic whith you your organs in a bag but they won't take you if you can't prove them you're insured whereas all health expenses are covered by the state in France.
Your entertainment industry has fell off so hard and is such a woke and deshumanized machine that you need to seek entertainment in japanese animation.
Need i continue?

And no, i'm not trying to say people must be forbidden to say what they want. Just that all oinions are not equals which was the topic of this thread but your childish attacks on my country made the conversation go off-rails.
Feb 29, 9:31 AM

May 2021
Reply to trinitroglycerin
@DigiCat Well for example something like "jews are an inferior species and should all be burned". Even though some people are still thinking this way nowadays it doesn't change the fact that it is objectively wrong. I'd say all opinions promoting hatred and violence are objectively wrong. Doesn't mean you're forbidden from having these opinions though.
@trinitroglycerin Ah i see what you mean

Personally if something is objectively wrong i don't even consider it an opinion

Same with what's objectively right, at that point it evolves from opinion to fact

But i get how it's explained more complexly in a philosofhical sense
Feb 29, 9:33 AM

May 2021
Reply to Zarutaku
@DigiCat There are countless possibilities, for example he could have asked "Is it okay to be a useless person?" with 3 options "Yes it's okay", "No it's shameful" and "No they should question their existence". Of course I can't know if this would have worked as circumvention, but there sure are some more ambiguous and different ways to find out how people think about this topic.
@Zarutaku But that's not rephrasing, that's a completely different question

I'll add, questioning one's existence has a much broader meaning to it than having thoughts of death
Feb 29, 11:18 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to DigiCat
@Zarutaku But that's not rephrasing, that's a completely different question

I'll add, questioning one's existence has a much broader meaning to it than having thoughts of death
@DigiCat The purpose is to find out how people think about the topic and both polls "Should useless people be ashamed or even k*** themselves?" and "Is it okay to be a useless person?" would yield very similar results, so the meaning of the questions can't be that different.
Someone who voted "no they shouldn't k*** themselves nor be ashamed" before, would vote "Yes it's okay" now.
Someone who voted "no they shouldn't k*** themselves but should be ashamed" before, would vote "No it's shameful" now.
Someone who voted "yes they should k*** themselves" before, would vote "No they should question their existence" now because these people would likely interpret it as "No they should consider to end their existence" which is close to the original option.
Of course questioning one's existence has a broader meaning in general, but what matters is how people interpret it within a given context.
Anyway the original topic is already gone so there is no way to verify or rebut this.
ZarutakuFeb 29, 11:33 AM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Feb 29, 11:29 AM

Aug 2014
trinitroglycerin said:
Bro i won't let an american try to talk me down.

Look at you, getting so triggered that you go off on desperate tangents without ever addressing my key point. But hey, I don't mind putting a wannabe dictator in his place.

Your country is a miserable one where any unstable psychopath can go buy war weapons

Your country is a miserable one where people aren't even allowed to defend themselves.

Criminals tend to obtain weapons illegally, in case you somehow did not know. Military war weapons were not even used by the type of murderers you alluded to; they used civilian rifles (ones weaker than but functionally the same as common hunting rifles) and pistols. I might as well mention that a little under 5% of all humans are psychopaths too.

and kill dozens of preschoolers.

Criminals target the defenseless, since they know they can't fight back. Schools with armed security do not have attacks like this. The criminals know they would be quickly stopped, so they opt for gun-free zones instead.

The same principle applies to the cities in the US with the strictest gun laws: they have the worst gun crime, precisely because criminals know the law-abiding won't be able to defend themselves.

The many millions of non-aggressive gun owners are in no way responsible for the actions of criminals.

You litterally had Trump as your president for 4 whole years and he is one racist scumbag.

So? People are allowed to have whatever views they want, including racist ones. They are also allowed to vote for whomever they please.

You're trying to make me believe that the systemic murders of black americans wern't what caused the Black Lives Matter Movement?

Show me credible sources for these so-called systemic murders.

I doubt you know what systemic means. (Even though I explained it.) When something is systemic, it relates to or affects an entire system, not mere individuals.

The BLM movement started in 2013 when George Zimmerman was acquitted of a murder charge on grounds of acting in self-defense. He wasn't a cop and he wasn't prosecuted for murder.

Some of the African Americans made famous by being killed by police in those early years of the BLM movement did things like trying to steal a service pistol from an officer. "Systemic murders" my ass.

You litterally have a state religion

No we don't. What the fuck are you even talking about?

Religious freedom was one of the most important factors in the founding of the country. In the US Constitution, the First Amendment (the same one that protects speech) specifies that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"...thus preventing a state religion from ever forming and ensuring people can hold whatever religious beliefs they choose. It's perfectly legal to be non-religious in the US.

when France is laic and protects the beliefs of all.

Unless they say something not approved by the state. lmao

You can go to a clinic whith you your organs in a bag but they won't take you if you can't prove them you're insured

Incorrect. Hospital emergency rooms (and government clinics etc.) are required to serve those in need, regardless of insurance status.

whereas all health expenses are covered by the state in France.

And all speech is regulated by the state in France. Nothing is ever truly free. When you let the government give you "free" things, you pay the price by surrendering your freedom.

Government health care is horrible quality and there's often a long waiting period in many countries. There's a reason people from all over the planet come to the US to get health care, even when their countries provide it freely. We also lead the world in medical research and innovation.

https://www.fairobserver.com/region/north_america/khaled-dajani-usa-health-care-america-best-world-quality-health-care-system-world-news-34879/

Your entertainment industry has fell off so hard and is such a woke and deshumanized machine

The US is the world's #1 producer in the entertainment industry, with a huge range of content in every genre. (And from all sorts of time periods.)

that you need to seek entertainment in japanese animation.

Actually, I (along with most Americans) watch American entertainment quite a bit more often than Japanese anime.

Need i continue?

Feel free to embarrass yourself further with more nonsense. Either way, know that nothing you said so far supports your position of opposing free speech.

And no, i'm not trying to say people must be forbidden to say what they want.

But that is what you said:
trinitroglycerin said:
not all opinions are equal. Some of them are wrong and harmfull and should not be allowed.

trinitroglycerin said:
i meant you shouldn't be able to express such opinions in public.

Just that all oinions are not equals which was the topic of this thread

In case you didn't read the thread, I already made the same points as you regarding the unequal validity of opinions.

but your childish attacks on my country made the conversation go off-rails.

You mean my rational attack against your position. You are the one who insulted my country first. You wanna make it personal? I'll happily oblige, kiddo.
Feb 29, 12:00 PM

May 2022
Reply to SmugSatoko
trinitroglycerin said:
Bro i won't let an american try to talk me down.

Look at you, getting so triggered that you go off on desperate tangents without ever addressing my key point. But hey, I don't mind putting a wannabe dictator in his place.

Your country is a miserable one where any unstable psychopath can go buy war weapons

Your country is a miserable one where people aren't even allowed to defend themselves.

Criminals tend to obtain weapons illegally, in case you somehow did not know. Military war weapons were not even used by the type of murderers you alluded to; they used civilian rifles (ones weaker than but functionally the same as common hunting rifles) and pistols. I might as well mention that a little under 5% of all humans are psychopaths too.

and kill dozens of preschoolers.

Criminals target the defenseless, since they know they can't fight back. Schools with armed security do not have attacks like this. The criminals know they would be quickly stopped, so they opt for gun-free zones instead.

The same principle applies to the cities in the US with the strictest gun laws: they have the worst gun crime, precisely because criminals know the law-abiding won't be able to defend themselves.

The many millions of non-aggressive gun owners are in no way responsible for the actions of criminals.

So? People are allowed to have whatever views they want, including racist ones. They are also allowed to vote for whomever they please.

Show me credible sources for these so-called systemic murders.

I doubt you know what systemic means. (Even though I explained it.) When something is systemic, it relates to or affects an entire system, not mere individuals.

The BLM movement started in 2013 when George Zimmerman was acquitted of a murder charge on grounds of acting in self-defense. He wasn't a cop and he wasn't prosecuted for murder.

Some of the African Americans made famous by being killed by police in those early years of the BLM movement did things like trying to steal a service pistol from an officer. "Systemic murders" my ass.

You litterally have a state religion

No we don't. What the fuck are you even talking about?

Religious freedom was one of the most important factors in the founding of the country. In the US Constitution, the First Amendment (the same one that protects speech) specifies that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"...thus preventing a state religion from ever forming and ensuring people can hold whatever religious beliefs they choose. It's perfectly legal to be non-religious in the US.

when France is laic and protects the beliefs of all.

Unless they say something not approved by the state. lmao

You can go to a clinic whith you your organs in a bag but they won't take you if you can't prove them you're insured

Incorrect. Hospital emergency rooms (and government clinics etc.) are required to serve those in need, regardless of insurance status.

whereas all health expenses are covered by the state in France.

And all speech is regulated by the state in France. Nothing is ever truly free. When you let the government give you "free" things, you pay the price by surrendering your freedom.

Government health care is horrible quality and there's often a long waiting period in many countries. There's a reason people from all over the planet come to the US to get health care, even when their countries provide it freely. We also lead the world in medical research and innovation.

https://www.fairobserver.com/region/north_america/khaled-dajani-usa-health-care-america-best-world-quality-health-care-system-world-news-34879/

Your entertainment industry has fell off so hard and is such a woke and deshumanized machine

The US is the world's #1 producer in the entertainment industry, with a huge range of content in every genre. (And from all sorts of time periods.)

that you need to seek entertainment in japanese animation.

Actually, I (along with most Americans) watch American entertainment quite a bit more often than Japanese anime.

Need i continue?

Feel free to embarrass yourself further with more nonsense. Either way, know that nothing you said so far supports your position of opposing free speech.

And no, i'm not trying to say people must be forbidden to say what they want.

But that is what you said:
trinitroglycerin said:
not all opinions are equal. Some of them are wrong and harmfull and should not be allowed.

trinitroglycerin said:
i meant you shouldn't be able to express such opinions in public.

Just that all oinions are not equals which was the topic of this thread

In case you didn't read the thread, I already made the same points as you regarding the unequal validity of opinions.

but your childish attacks on my country made the conversation go off-rails.

You mean my rational attack against your position. You are the one who insulted my country first. You wanna make it personal? I'll happily oblige, kiddo.
@SmugSatoko Let's agree to disagree. i'm tired to argue and lose my time. I have nothing against you tho and may have gotten a bit too heated during the argument. Point is i don't think all opinions are valid and i am gratefull european and french legislations punish hate speech. Have a nice day!
Feb 29, 12:02 PM

Aug 2014
trinitroglycerin said:
Let's agree to disagree. i'm tired to argue and lose my time. I have nothing against you tho and may have gotten a bit too heated during the argument. Point is i don't think all opinions are valid and i am gratefull european and french legislations punish hate speech. Have a nice day!

Alright, bro. I'm just glad we both like Misaka and Accelerator. heh
Feb 29, 2:38 PM

May 2021
Reply to Zarutaku
@DigiCat The purpose is to find out how people think about the topic and both polls "Should useless people be ashamed or even k*** themselves?" and "Is it okay to be a useless person?" would yield very similar results, so the meaning of the questions can't be that different.
Someone who voted "no they shouldn't k*** themselves nor be ashamed" before, would vote "Yes it's okay" now.
Someone who voted "no they shouldn't k*** themselves but should be ashamed" before, would vote "No it's shameful" now.
Someone who voted "yes they should k*** themselves" before, would vote "No they should question their existence" now because these people would likely interpret it as "No they should consider to end their existence" which is close to the original option.
Of course questioning one's existence has a broader meaning in general, but what matters is how people interpret it within a given context.
Anyway the original topic is already gone so there is no way to verify or rebut this.
@Zarutaku But these are just assumptions on how people would interperet it, you don't count that one can think it's not shameful but also not ok, hence one could "question their existence" "question what is it that's useless and how to improve", and one who thinks they should ... could likely associate that with shame "no it's shameful"

It's a very different question that'd get very different results depending on different interperatations

I get that deg's deleted topic was likely done out of curiosuty and not malice (at least i hope), but there's a time and place to ask these things, and MAL ain't one of them
Mar 1, 4:02 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to Meusnier

SmugSatoko said:

trinitroglycerin said:

trinitroglycerin said:

Meusnier said:
the current constitution gives way too much personal power to the President, and the violent police repression is unpleasantly reminiscent of some fascist regimes...

I agree, though, the constitution doesn't give the president any particular power, it's just a document that lays out what kind of laws can and cannot be passed -ideally, anyway. The problem isn't the document (or any legal document), it's the fact that the abusers of power are the ones who get to decide when there is an abuse of power. It's like expecting a violent gang of thugs to turn themselves in.

Also it's good to see some pro-free speech arguments from you. Hopefully it's not just a one time thing to own the french!
DreamWindowMar 1, 6:39 AM

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Mar 1, 7:23 AM

Jun 2019
trinitroglycerin said:
Ecoutes, si tu déteste la France c'est ton choix mais moi je suis fier d'être français, fier de vivre dans un pays laïque, libre et démocratique.

En français, ça donne : « Écoute, si tu détestes la France, c'est ton choix, mais moi, je suis fier d'être Français, fier de vivre dans un pays laïque, libre et démocratique. »

Voilà à quoi aboutissent quinze ou vingt ans de blabla obligatoire : à vivre dans l'ignorance complète de réalité, et à se satisfaire de concepts creux. Mais si ça vous rend heureux, alors tant mieux... Être Français, ça ne veut malheureusement plus dire grand'chose, il n'y a vraiment pas de quoi être fier quand on voit le bilan social déplorable de ces dernières décennies, les guerres futiles auxquelles la France a apporté son concours, le sort lamentable réservé aux artistes et aux scientifiques, et la ruine presque totale du système éducatif avec des programmes réduits à peau de chagrin. Et ne parlons pas des hôpitaux qui feront bientôt pâle figure auprès des anciens centres médicaux soviétiques. 90% de réussite au baccalauréat peut-être, et 90% d'illettrés qui non seulement ignorent les règles de ponctuation et de grammaire, mais n'ont aucune idée de la syntaxe. Ce n'est pas très glorieux... J'aime la France par ce qu'elle a produit de grand (écrivains, mathématiciens, musiciens, etc), non pas par ce qu'elle représente aujourd'hui (presque rien que de la gasconnade) ; l'image du coq n'a jamais été plus fidèle à la réalité.

DreamWindow said:
I agree, though, the constitution doesn't give the president any particular power, it's just a document that lays out what kind of laws can and cannot be passed -ideally, anyway. The problem isn't the document (or any legal document), it's the fact that the abusers of power are the ones who get to decide when there is an abuse in power. It's like expecting a violent gang of thugs to turn themselves in.

Also it's good to see some pro-free speech arguments from you. Hopefully it's not just a one time thing to own the french!

Thank you. I will maintain however that the constitution is at fault here, coupled with the change of length of the presidential mandate (from seven to five years). Since the main chamber (Assemblée Nationale) is elected every five years with universal suffrage, it almost coincides with the presidential election; therefore, when a candidate is elected for the first time (Sarkozy, Hollande, Macron), he always wins the majority at the National Assembly, which allows them to pass (almost) any law he fancies. And the Prime Minister, who is chosen by the President, has virtually no power, unless he is chosen from an opposite majority at the Assembly, something that has not happened since 2002 (Macron kept a relative majority in 2022). Although he has lost the absolute majority in 2022, very little can be done to oppose the laws he wants to pass, and in fact, a special disposition of the constitution allows one to even bypass the Parliament! It was already used in the past, but the last governments have made its usage almost systematic. To give you an idea, it was used 12 times between September and December 2023! (23 times in total for the Borne government, in the matter of a year and a half.)

https://www.vie-publique.fr/fiches/19494-le-recours-larticle-493-de-la-constitution

In other words, you can almost rule France by royal decrees. For example, this is how the retirement pension bill was passed last year, and it resulted in major protests (and subsequent violent repression) throughout the whole country.

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/france/article/2022/10/19/france-how-does-article-49-3-allow-a-bill-to-be-passed-without-a-vote_6001019_7.html

My point is that this "super-American" constitution basically reunites all powers in the hands of a single man, and that one cannot even claim that the current or past governments have ever abused of their power. The only safeguard of democracy is the Conseil Constitutionnel (Constitutional Council), that acts similarly to the Supreme Court in the USA. In the last years, it has heavily censored countless laws proposed by the successive governments.

Well, the Covid debates have surely skewed a bit the perception that people might have of me, but I have never supported any forms of censorship actually (with the usual caveats about defamation, spreading of disinformation à la Alex Jones, etc).
Mar 1, 7:55 AM

May 2022
Reply to Meusnier
trinitroglycerin said:
Ecoutes, si tu déteste la France c'est ton choix mais moi je suis fier d'être français, fier de vivre dans un pays laïque, libre et démocratique.

En français, ça donne : « Écoute, si tu détestes la France, c'est ton choix, mais moi, je suis fier d'être Français, fier de vivre dans un pays laïque, libre et démocratique. »

Voilà à quoi aboutissent quinze ou vingt ans de blabla obligatoire : à vivre dans l'ignorance complète de réalité, et à se satisfaire de concepts creux. Mais si ça vous rend heureux, alors tant mieux... Être Français, ça ne veut malheureusement plus dire grand'chose, il n'y a vraiment pas de quoi être fier quand on voit le bilan social déplorable de ces dernières décennies, les guerres futiles auxquelles la France a apporté son concours, le sort lamentable réservé aux artistes et aux scientifiques, et la ruine presque totale du système éducatif avec des programmes réduits à peau de chagrin. Et ne parlons pas des hôpitaux qui feront bientôt pâle figure auprès des anciens centres médicaux soviétiques. 90% de réussite au baccalauréat peut-être, et 90% d'illettrés qui non seulement ignorent les règles de ponctuation et de grammaire, mais n'ont aucune idée de la syntaxe. Ce n'est pas très glorieux... J'aime la France par ce qu'elle a produit de grand (écrivains, mathématiciens, musiciens, etc), non pas par ce qu'elle représente aujourd'hui (presque rien que de la gasconnade) ; l'image du coq n'a jamais été plus fidèle à la réalité.

DreamWindow said:
I agree, though, the constitution doesn't give the president any particular power, it's just a document that lays out what kind of laws can and cannot be passed -ideally, anyway. The problem isn't the document (or any legal document), it's the fact that the abusers of power are the ones who get to decide when there is an abuse in power. It's like expecting a violent gang of thugs to turn themselves in.

Thank you. I will maintain however that the constitution is at fault here, coupled with the change of length of the presidential mandate (from seven to five years). Since the main chamber (Assemblée Nationale) is elected every five years with universal suffrage, it almost coincides with the presidential election; therefore, when a candidate is elected for the first time (Sarkozy, Hollande, Macron), he always wins the majority at the National Assembly, which allows them to pass (almost) any law he fancies. And the Prime Minister, who is chosen by the President, has virtually no power, unless he is chosen from an opposite majority at the Assembly, something that has not happened since 2002 (Macron kept a relative majority in 2022). Although he has lost the absolute majority in 2022, very little can be done to oppose the laws he wants to pass, and in fact, a special disposition of the constitution allows one to even bypass the Parliament! It was already used in the past, but the last governments have made its usage almost systematic. To give you an idea, it was used 12 times between September and December 2023! (23 times in total for the Borne government, in the matter of a year and a half.)

https://www.vie-publique.fr/fiches/19494-le-recours-larticle-493-de-la-constitution

In other words, you can almost rule France by royal decrees. For example, this is how the retirement pension bill was passed last year, and it resulted in major protests (and subsequent violent repression) throughout the whole country.

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/france/article/2022/10/19/france-how-does-article-49-3-allow-a-bill-to-be-passed-without-a-vote_6001019_7.html

My point is that this "super-American" constitution basically reunites all powers in the hands of a single man, and that one cannot even claim that the current or past governments have ever abused of their power. The only safeguard of democracy is the Conseil Constitutionnel (Constitutional Council), that acts similarly to the Supreme Court in the USA. In the last years, it has heavily censored countless laws proposed by the successive governments.

Well, the Covid debates have surely skewed a bit the perception that people might have of me, but I have never supported any forms of censorship actually (with the usual caveats about defamation, spreading of disinformation à la Alex Jones, etc).
@Meusnier Rien à battre de tes états d'âme.
Mar 1, 7:58 AM

Jun 2019
trinitroglycerin said:
Je suis sûr que tu votes pour l'extrême-droite. Saches que je hais fondamentalement les personnes de ton espèce. J'espère que ta vie sera remplie de souffrance et de malheur.

Dommage pour toi, je ne vote pas, et il n'y avait rien d'esstrême-droite dans mes propos (il suffit de regarder mon premier message).

Ce qui rend la France si désagréable, ce sont bien les petits cuistres de ton genre qui jettent l'anathème pour éviter de penser, et puent manifestement l'envie. Voilà bien l'engeance typique qui rend la vie si exécrable dans ce triste pays.

Que c'est mesquin — voilà qui définit parfaitement la société française. « Les hommes deviennent petits en se rassemblant. »

P.S. À l'impératif, on retire le « s » à la deuxième personne du singulier : on écrit « sache » et non pas « saches ».

Edit:
Rien à battre de tes états d'âme.

Cette réponse vaut mieux, les phrases de plus de dix mots, c'est pas pour toi.
Mar 2, 5:17 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to Meusnier
trinitroglycerin said:

DreamWindow said:

@Meusnier

That's fucked. My understanding for most countries is that they intend to limit power, not grant it, but I guess that's not universal. Or just some technical bullshit that politicians often use to get their way. Anything to keep power centralized they will do.

I see. Well, that's good. Not sure I like "disinformation" that gets thrown around these days, but if it's strictly limited to paying restitution, that's reasonable enough.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Mar 2, 9:52 PM

Jun 2019
DreamWindow said:
That's fucked. My understanding for most countries is that they intend to limit power, not grant it, but I guess that's not universal. Or just some technical bullshit that politicians often use to get their way. Anything to keep power centralized they will do.

I see. Well, that's good. Not sure I like "disinformation" that gets thrown around these days, but if it's strictly limited to paying restitution, that's reasonable enough.

You have to understand that this constitution was adopted during the Algeria war at a moment of extreme political instability, where there was a real risk that a civil war erupts. Unfortunately, this exceptional legislation has become the norm, with all the abuses that you can imagine.

When people willingly share information they know is inaccurate or misleading, especially if it has a defamatory character (that can constitute a form of moral harassment). It gets especially bad when people make money out of sharing disinformation. On Twitter, Community Notes are quite useful against trolling accounts (though they have their limits), but there is no such a thing in real life.
Mar 4, 2:14 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to Meusnier
DreamWindow said:

You have to understand that this constitution was adopted during the Algeria war at a moment of extreme political instability, where there was a real risk that a civil war erupts. Unfortunately, this exceptional legislation has become the norm, with all the abuses that you can imagine.

When people willingly share information they know is inaccurate or misleading, especially if it has a defamatory character (that can constitute a form of moral harassment). It gets especially bad when people make money out of sharing disinformation. On Twitter, Community Notes are quite useful against trolling accounts (though they have their limits), but there is no such a thing in real life.
@Meusnier

I can imagine. I can see why you have such contempt for them. Though every politician would do the same if they could.

It should not be a crime to speak, even if the words are untrue. It should only be a crime if the person saying it escalates to violence. Community notes are pretty useful though. That's how it should be, correct people instead of censoring them.

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you glad you were born?

Shizuna - 6 hours ago

12 by Kismet69 »»
11 minutes ago

» I believe in solipsism. Is that crazy?

removed-user - Sep 26

38 by xfwm4 »»
2 hours ago

» do you ever feel like not forgetting the person you liked in your past?

FruitPunchBaka - May 25

26 by traed »»
2 hours ago

» How pure are you?

Ejrodiew - 12 hours ago

37 by JaniSIr »»
2 hours ago

» What makes a good Discord server?

aikaflip - 2 hours ago

0 by aikaflip »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.