Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Witch and the Beast
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 12, 11:37 PM
Jul 2020
Joei-12 said:
Isekai-Enjoyer said:
Nah it was conveyed quite well

I swear to god you people expected Ufotable level shit for literally everything

No............ ...........It's not that everything always has exorbitant production levels, it's simply that at least it has minimum quality standards and this adaptation fails in everything.

To begin with the ost is completely out of place and lacks any type of impact when it comes to accompanying the scenes. The best example of this is when Guideau returns to his body, the ost doesn't accompany the moment since it clashes by not highlighting a moment which is supposed to be impactful, the same thing happens when Guideau kills the witch with his blow, the sound lacks impact.

Now on the part of the animation, it's rigid and crude, the color palette used is not appropriate since they use light colors for both the characters and the settings. The shots and framing are not that they're bad, it's that they're simply atrocious. An example of this is the introductory scene of the witch's, which has a static image. This part should have been a scene with a full body shot since by doing a close shot, they're simply making the scene lose the impact it should have.

All of these failures only get worse, and by the final moments of the episode it's simply unsustainable. I already mentioned it, but it is evident that none of those involved in this project have worked with a dark fantasy, and they have not known how to adapt the artistic style of the manga.

......God I'm already seeing how surely Court's powers are going to be with a disgusting CG and it's probably worse with Ashgan that I'm already seeing that they're going to completely make the character with CG

Imagine having this level of exigence for adaptations holy shit
Jan 13, 12:00 AM
John Titor

Jul 2017
I tend to overlook technical flaws so I don't really mind them. On the other hand, I liked how the European style city looked. I also liked their blimp. As for the anime itself, it was decent, though nothing extraordinary. I'll keep on watching it.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Jan 13, 12:22 AM

Feb 2022
Wasn't at all what I expected from the teasers I saw, but not disappointed.
Could be good definitely will watch the next episode.
Jan 13, 12:55 AM

Dec 2022
well another anime about witches i guess winter is also witch season
Jan 13, 3:42 AM

May 2023
For me, this is without a doubt the best anime of the season, I loved the animation and the characters. I'm super excited for the next episode.
Jan 13, 3:45 AM

Nov 2018
Finally, I was really looking forward to watching this anime.
Jan 13, 3:53 AM

Apr 2015
Quality is tragic as expected.
The content is apparently an edgier Vanitas no Karte, which I don't mean in a bad way. Still not sure if it will be good enough to carry the subpar visuals.
I'll give this a couple of episodes
Jan 13, 10:56 AM
Apr 2023
First ep quite good. I think character design and the scenery look majestic. The main idea of the show is not yet fully revealed so can’t judge on that. However, animation is its weakest point so far. Some bits were beautifully animated but some were really cheap. Let’s see if it gets better or succumbs as the show progresses each week.
Jan 13, 12:46 PM

Sep 2023
Seems like yet another great show hated only by manga readers.
Jan 13, 2:52 PM
Oct 2021
phantomfandom said:
So many questions but the biggest one would be what is Guideau's true gender (or original gender), since Guideau's true form seems to be masculine. I'm not fond of gender-swapping genre.

I totally agree with that, maybe that's the curse? Who knows will see, is good first ep tho
Jan 13, 4:25 PM

Jul 2021
Aight yeah couldn't pass the 2nd half. I'm going to start the manga soon anyways.
Jan 13, 4:30 PM

Apr 2021
PEAK IS HERE!!! Been waiting for this masterpiece. I loved the animation, the character designs, the music, the fight scene. I’m so happy this show is out, this is gonna be a good season
Jan 13, 4:38 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to phantomfandom
So many questions but the biggest one would be what is Guideau's true gender (or original gender), since Guideau's true form seems to be masculine. I'm not fond of gender-swapping genre.
@phantomfandom Guideau is a literal beast. Non human creature that even the witches fear. You cannot just categorize this show as a gender swapping genre. It’s completely above that.

But if you care so much about something as trivial as having to know the gender, then I suggest you watch elsewhere. You will not get a true answer from the show.
Jan 13, 5:09 PM
Mar 2019
This is in your face out of the gate. That transformation sequence was surprising. I suppose that is the 'beast' in the title searching for the 'witch'.
Jan 13, 6:04 PM

Aug 2023
I think the story will be good, At first I thought that Guideau will be the witch and Ashaf will be the beast but it wasn't.
Jan 13, 10:43 PM
Dec 2023
I hope it will develop for the better this season. Yokohama animation WoW sounds great! Love the first episode, will be an anime that I will wait for every week ><.
Jan 14, 1:25 AM

Dec 2016
Reply to Stark700
Not going to lie, I think this was a really interesting start just from the story background and lore. This show has a serious vibe without cartoony humor. OP theme has a dark orchestra tone as well.

Guideau's character introduction gives off the no-nonsense vibe. Ashaf seems to be monitoring her as the two goes around the streets. Ashaf is also somewhat of a smooth talker and shows more personality than Guideau. First episode had some crazy bizarre moments like the giant shark monster coming out of nowhere. Show has alot potential imo. I hope we can find out much more about our two main leads.
@Stark700 Totes agree with you on all of this. I wasn't sure what to expect of this, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Great start. Looking forward to what next week brings!
Jan 14, 1:54 AM
Apr 2022
Yas, yuri action lets go
Jan 14, 4:31 AM

Nov 2015
it certainly seems promising
I'm not talking about the yuri part haha, I just saw the previous comment.

btw, is she becoming a beast after the kiss by unlocking the curse as in her original form was that? if so, why did she become a she and not genderless I wonder

Mod Edit: Merged posts
KinetaFeb 25, 1:50 PM
Jan 14, 11:50 AM

Apr 2016
Art is pretty good but idk about the animation... Not sure if it's just me but the sound feels...off? I'll continue watching seems pretty good so far.
Jan 14, 12:19 PM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
Dropped.

Animation feels wonky. Dude with the coffin looks different every time he is in the shot. Storyline seems to be just as wonky. Painting witches as evil and making their backstories one dimensional, just as one dimensional as the Guideau. Too bad the previews looked so promising.
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Hunt: Showdown 1896 again when you read this

Jan 14, 7:11 PM

Sep 2018
Read the first chapters after seeing the tears of the manga readers here
Art is great while the adaptation is lackluster in that regard that's right but you're crying too much

I'm still hooked by this first episode, can't wait to see the next one
Jan 14, 11:07 PM

Jan 2011
Not bad but not a fan of how they are treating all witches as bad.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jan 14, 11:24 PM

Sep 2018
If you've already experienced the story and enjoyed the art style of the manga, I could understand the frustrations of this adaptation. Your preconceived biases simply don't allow you to enjoy it though, a shame. Anime only, some possibly dubious writing, but otherwise enjoyable enough. To say certain scenes didn't have impact is a manga reader complaint, Guideau going back to his body, certainly grabbed my attention lol.

I read the first chapter to have a look as well, it does have cool art, but the demise of the show is greatly exaggerated. Reminds me of this seasons The Foolish Angel, a lot of crying there as well.
Jan 14, 11:47 PM
Dec 2023
Very good so far. Hope next targets would require a bit more of effort to find tho. Also hope waifu is not totally fake
Jan 15, 4:10 PM

Oct 2013
I enjoyed the first episode so far, good start.
Jan 16, 7:26 AM
Sep 2012
On premise this show looked promising, but the first episode felt way too rushed. It didn't even try to build the doubt of "you know, maybe the witches aren't bad", the investigation happened entirely off-screen, the main girl's personality is a total mess (not in a good way). I hope next episodes can improve on all those aspects.
Jan 16, 9:01 PM
Nov 2022
Reply to LessThanAnimeFan
Seems like yet another great show hated only by manga readers.
@LessThanAnimeFan you don't have to be a manga reader to see the piss poor quality of the first episode. too many still shots (absolutely botched the introduction of the witch), the action scenes were terrible, the introduction of guideau's true form was very underwhelming, bad sound effects, music wasn't fitting for some scenes, and things seemed too rushed overall

just look at the studio's anime last season (the kingdoms of ruin) and see how that anime turned out
Jan 17, 3:46 AM

Sep 2023
Reply to bwandong
@LessThanAnimeFan you don't have to be a manga reader to see the piss poor quality of the first episode. too many still shots (absolutely botched the introduction of the witch), the action scenes were terrible, the introduction of guideau's true form was very underwhelming, bad sound effects, music wasn't fitting for some scenes, and things seemed too rushed overall

just look at the studio's anime last season (the kingdoms of ruin) and see how that anime turned out
@bwandong
I've seen the kingdoms of ruind and yeah, it was terrible. Plus I think It would have turned out this anyway because even if animation was good, the plot itself was too bad.
Idk, maybe I'm not paying that much attention to all these details that you mentioned or manga readers just expected too much from the adaptation, but it looked good, at least for first episode.
Jan 17, 8:03 AM

Apr 2021
Wow I liked.

This first episode was incredible, there were a lot of things in one episode. I liked the graphic quality and the very good designs. I hope to see the other episode, I'm curious what they're going to do.
Jan 17, 7:11 PM
Jun 2013
My guess for Guideau's backstory is that he was the guy in the coffin until a witch killed his girlfriend or sister and put his soul into her body. Maybe the witch was jealous of their love if they were lovers.
Jan 18, 12:28 AM

Jul 2021
Very interesting witch-hunting premise and dark fantasy style. Liked the slick character designs too.

But the concerns about this studio got to me before this aired, and I couldn't help but notice the rudimentary animation. They did their best to work with what they got, but there were many times when things felt too clunky and static... But it could be worse, let's hope they make up for it.
Jan 18, 2:21 PM
Jan 2018
1) It's a seinen, and by that merit it will hold its cards closer to its chest than a shounen would; this means the overall story, mysteries, character backstories and most worldbuilding information that many anime fans are used to just being given by shounen series will be shared slower and with more nuance. Seinen series are made with adults in mind, adults who presumably have more patience, a higher ability to read subtext, and can pick up on small visual details, on top of this the series is a dark fantasy thriller type dealing with a hunt for something elusive and pretty intense subject matters, so expecting everything to just be spelled out for you is asking too much, in fact the series will actively not explain things to you sometimes, and it's fine if that bothers you, it just means this series isn't for you.

2) Manga readers holding an anime adaptation to basic standards is not unreasonable. We are not expecting JJK/Fate/Chainsaw Man/KyoAni levels of animation, those are outliers and honestly I feel for the animators, they probably had to pull some real stupid hours to get those series looking that good every week. What we ARE asking of an animated adaptation is that most of the scenes are, well, animated, which in this case the majority of scenes were not, and the ones that were given more time and resources could be considered mediocre at best.

3) Several of the design choices were just flat out bad, the colour palette being one of the more stand-out things to me, because MtY is supposed to be a gritty, dark fantasy and yet there were bright colours all over the place, not to mention the shadows cast on everything weren't even dark, stripping it of any sense of foreboding the source material has.
Another saddening aspect was many, many small but important tonal details were left out, as several people have mentioned, such as the way Ashaf behaves around civilians VS the way he actually is, there was no definition at all; in the anime they made him just always be this spooky, distant man when in the manga he tailors himself to who he's talking to, his whole character is about charisma, but I felt nothing of that from the anime.
Also missing was some very important context and dialogue for both pacing and lore, a particularly egregious example being between Guideau smashing through the greenhouse roof and being trapped in roots, there wasn't any through line whatsoever, just a smashcut to Guideau being trapped, which has got to be one of the laziest directing choices I've ever seen. Another example is the way the author separates how Ashaf uses magic VS how a witch uses magic in the manga, namely that ONLY WITCHES can use magic without touching or drawing runes first, a fact that isn't directly told to the reader until later, but non-witches using runes to use magic is shown in multiple panels with attention drawn to it a few times each chapter. In the anime not once did they show Ashaf run his fingers across the runes on his arms, in fact the first time he reveals the runes, where it would be the perfect time to show it, they don't bother, magic just starts flowing out of the runes on its own.
These types of things are important to slowburn seinen, they establish lore in subtle ways and set tone and pace, telling the reader how much information to expect and where to look for it, and the anime fails to properly convey any of this, THAT is why those of us who read the manga are disappointed, myself included.

If you're someone who is enjoying MtY's anime then wonderful, I'm glad you are, and if it makes you want to read the manga then wonderful, I hope you do, but objectively speaking this adaptation isn't great, it's not even good, though I'm hesitant to call it bad just yet. I want to hold out hope that the first episode was just a hiccup, that the rest of the series will get better, maybe even amazing, because at the end of the day myself and other MtY manga lovers wanted this to feel just as good to watch as it felt to read, and were saddened when it didn't line up, so wouldn't it be great for everyone if it lined up next try?

Thanks for reading.
Jan 18, 4:55 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to MasterHavik
Not bad but not a fan of how they are treating all witches as bad.
@MasterHavik if you stick to the anime, you'll see that this is going to change soon, very soon.
Jan 18, 8:41 PM

Jan 2011
Reply to xiliqs
@MasterHavik if you stick to the anime, you'll see that this is going to change soon, very soon.
@xiliqs Episode 2 is already checking a few boxes for me. I'm glad it isn't going that route because it is like how some treat someone knowing dark magic as them being evil.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jan 19, 5:20 PM

Mar 2021
Really nice surprise for this season, I like this beginning !
The ambiance, characters, music ~

Of course, while I saw the opening, I thought maybe she's the beast, and he's the witch, I was right, its nice to change sometimes x)

And that second body and entrance tho, she's so badass ! (or he, since its a male body, you understand) I like her x)
Jan 20, 8:08 AM
Oct 2017
I can't stand obvious over-acted villains and this is the main plot of this episode.
Jan 21, 9:17 PM
Nov 2023
So it looks like we'll get many subplots with different witches for this series
Jan 25, 1:50 PM

Jul 2022
a hot muscular man in a hot girl's body? im sold
Jan 25, 5:17 PM

May 2015
This episode was pretty good! I love the artstyle of this world and the way our MCs move through it. While witches can wait a long time for revenge, the people in this story don't seem to have forgotten their actions over the centuries...
Jan 26, 11:14 AM

Jan 2024
Everything about this anime is GOATED. 10/10. And Guideau is my new waifu.
Jan 26, 2:45 PM

Jan 2024
Reply to Mele
Dropped.

Animation feels wonky. Dude with the coffin looks different every time he is in the shot. Storyline seems to be just as wonky. Painting witches as evil and making their backstories one dimensional, just as one dimensional as the Guideau. Too bad the previews looked so promising.
@Mele What are you talking about? I’m literally desperate for the next dubbed episode.
Jan 30, 9:49 PM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
Reply to Loight37
@Mele What are you talking about? I’m literally desperate for the next dubbed episode.
@Loight37 It's called an opinion???? And backed up at that.
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Hunt: Showdown 1896 again when you read this

Jan 30, 11:45 PM

Jan 2024
Reply to Mele
@Loight37 It's called an opinion???? And backed up at that.
@Mele What do you mean “backed up”? Everything looked fine to me and the plot is fantastic so I’m not really sure what you are talking about. Also I am allowed to disagree with people but it seems as if you might have forgotten that.
Feb 1, 5:05 AM

Sep 2023
It was an interesting first episode, the world seems pretty deep with a lot of backstory to uncover in the future.
Feb 1, 9:35 PM
Apr 2020
Wondering how far the magic system goes since a mere first-rate mage can teleport, shield wall, and summon familiars(crows).
Feb 11, 11:04 PM
Jan 2012
Well that was clunky as fuck, the episode completely failed to convince me or even interest me on every level, between the clunky direction and board (the episode completely failed to iconize Guideau's transformation in any way) and the writing itself (shallow villain, Guideau is completely unbearable, and overall concept is nothing to go crazy about), i went in expecting something really good seeing how some people are saying it's one of the best series of the seasons, but holy shit i am really disappointed
Feb 15, 7:04 PM

Oct 2016
So the waifu is a husbando? Os it the curse? Whatever, she really reminds me of Power, only way worse of a character.

The writing as a whole seems shit to me, nobody in that city could connect the stuff surrounding that witch on their own? And the childish, fairy tale like ways of lifting the curse? And also the whole series seems to be revenge porn based on prejudice and grudge against more revenge porn based on prejudice and grudge. If I was 13 I would have love this, but now I'm way past that age.

Still, I like the aesthetics, the setting, the coloring, the music that makes me feel I'm playing Castlevania, so I can at least watch some more episodes. I wish Ishura had these aesthetics instead.
Feb 19, 8:10 PM
Jul 2018
The world and setup seem so interesting and the style is intruiging, but the heroine has the personality of an attack dog with rabies , so I dunno...
Feb 22, 2:38 PM
Oct 2019
so he's the witch (mage) and she's the beast? interesting (DON'T SPOILER THIS IF I'M WRONG. I'LL FIGURE IT OUT ON MY OWN)

i like the guy. i like his demeanor and his slick back hair. the girl is kind of whatever. a bit annoying, personality-wise, but i'm curious what she actually is and how she came to be in this situation, etc
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Majo to Yajuu Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 28

38 by Matheus050 »»
Sep 24, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Majo to Yajuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 4

90 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
Sep 22, 7:48 AM

Poll: » Majo to Yajuu Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 21

39 by Matheus050 »»
Sep 3, 2:30 PM

Poll: » Majo to Yajuu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 14

56 by Matheus050 »»
Aug 28, 6:46 AM

Poll: » Majo to Yajuu Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 7

49 by Matheus050 »»
Aug 21, 8:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.