Forum Settings
Forums

Do you wait until you watch thw whole thing to rate it

New
Feb 18, 6:12 PM
Jul 2022
I have always waited to watch the whole thing to rate it. I don't think it's fair to judge a whole series based on fraction of it. I have watched 600+ episodes of one piece, but still haven't rated it because my opinion might change with future arcs.

I do think the hype for frieren is earned, I'm loving it, but I'll wait unitl it finishes airing to finally rate it
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 18, 6:19 PM
Mar 2021
Lannoyer05 said:
I have always waited to watch the whole thing to rate it. I don't think it's fair to judge a whole series based on fraction of it. I have watched 600+ episodes of one piece, but still haven't rated it because my opinion might change with future arcs.

I do think the hype for frieren is earned, I'm loving it, but I'll wait unitl it finishes airing to finally rate it

I mean I typically adjust my rating as the series progresses. But the rating of this series would goes up and down like the stock market… so I kinda gave up and would tally it up in the end.
Feb 18, 6:22 PM
Jan 2023
I don’t rate until I finish or drop a show but you should probably rate One Piece at 600 episodes lol.
Feb 18, 6:26 PM
Jul 2021
Suzeray87 said:
Lannoyer05 said:
I have always waited to watch the whole thing to rate it. I don't think it's fair to judge a whole series based on fraction of it. I have watched 600 episodes of one piece, but still haven't rated it because my opinion might change with future arcs.

I mean I typically adjust my rating as the series progresses. But the rating of this series would goes up and down like the stock market… so I kinda gave up and would tally it up in the end.

wait so you rate each episode and then form a mean with it? Goddamn that’s some commitment
Feb 18, 6:28 PM
Aug 2023
Personally, I do. I like to watch things in full before giving it a proper rating. I feel like rating it low based on 3 or 4 episodes is a little bit of a disservice but a lot of people wouldn’t share that sentiment
Feb 18, 6:35 PM
May 2021
I generally do. I can’t rate as the story progresses.
Sep 2021
I give it a 3 episode rule to rate something usually, anything earlier is an educated prediction

Mar 2023
Well, it's all individual, each person's evaluation system is different, yours is like this.
I'll edit my profile a little later where I'll write my grading system in detail, but yes, I also evaluate a work only upon completion. Firstly, I very much doubt that my rating after watching 2 or even 6 episodes will somehow affect the overall rating, and secondly, I rate the whole show/manga, not a part of it. What's the point of me rating an 11-episode anime a 10/10 if my score drops to a 6/10 after episode 12 is released? I can make top ongoings that I like, but it's not my place to rate each one before it's finished.

But I also understand people who change their rating with the release of each episode, I guess it's a fun thing to do.

OmarumbaFeb 18, 7:12 PM
Feb 18, 6:36 PM
Aug 2011
i rate each week depending on the episode lol some of them go to jail for a week
Feb 18, 6:36 PM
Mar 2021
kyo_1 said:
Suzeray87 said:

wait so you rate each episode and then form a mean with it? Goddamn that’s some commitment

[1-2.5 (plot); 1-2.5(Art/animation) 1-2.5 (audio/music/voice acting) 1-2.5 (Overall enjoyment)] Only 2.5 points can be contributed to my overall enjoyment of a series. There are many great production series that are just amazing and I didn’t like them, but I’ll still rate them fairly. Like steins;gate, it’s a masterpiece but I didn’t enjoy it so it got a 1 out of 2.5. Frieren has its ups and down, the production is perfect but some episodes just erks me. Like Fern and her pouty behavior. But I don’t let those episodes have a major impact on my overall score.
Feb 18, 6:37 PM
Jul 2021
Lannoyer05 said:

Same with me. But I don't think your One piece rating will change in future cause it remains almost the same just the animation improves in Wano.
Aug 2020
ratings don't really matter at all. individual taste is unique. so, it's all about the popularity that will say the worth of an anime. if you'd ask me.
Jan 2021
I usually do it at the end, but sometimes like with frieren I did it after the first arc because it was awesome and I really loved it!
Feb 18, 6:39 PM
Jul 2021
Suzeray87 said:
kyo_1 said:

[1-2.5 (plot); 1-2.5(Art/animation) 1-2.5 (audio/music/voice acting) 1-2.5 (Overall enjoyment)] Only 2.5 points can be contributed to my overall enjoyment of a series. There are many great production series that are just amazing and I didn’t like them, but I’ll still rate them fairly. Like steins;gate, it’s a masterpiece but I didn’t enjoy it so it got a 1 out of 2.5. Frieren has its ups and down, the production is perfect but some episodes just erks me. Like Fern and her pouty behavior. But I don’t let those episodes have a major impact on my overall score.

fair enough, i think of i put that much though into my ratings my average would go down a whole point xD
Feb 18, 6:40 PM
Apr 2023
Usually I do wait, unless the show is so good or so bad that I already know after a few episodes exactly how I feel about it. Even in those cases I usually edit the score once I finish the show( unless it was so bad I decided to drop it(I’m looking at you shield hero S3)).
Feb 18, 6:44 PM
Mar 2021
kyo_1 said:
Suzeray87 said:

fair enough, i think of i put that much though into my ratings my average would go down a whole point xD

Well sometimes I break that scale because certain series can stand out in a way that is an exception. Or a character in a mediocre series becomes a favorite. Or you watched the Dub instead of sub… and it’s even better than the sub like ghost stories. But typically it’s easier for me to be fair if I add my rating of the production to go into series instead of just my biased enjoyment.
Feb 18, 6:46 PM
Nov 2023
It’s not as if once you enter a rating it’s locked forever. I just rate immediately after first ep then adjust whenever it seems my rating doesn’t fit any more. At the end, it still gets adjusted to suit my impression of the whole thing, do why hold back before that?
Feb 18, 6:50 PM
Jul 2018
From episode 10 onwards it was already a 10 for me. So far no episode has lowered the level.
Feb 18, 7:02 PM

Oct 2020
I think that there's some enjoyment in progressively change the note as the show goes on.

unfortunately, I'm too lazy to do it myself
Feb 18, 7:04 PM
Aug 2021
I don't even bother rating stuff. If I did I'd wait until the end unless I drop the show but I feel there's usually a recency bais or most shows I just watch to kill time and not because they're anything more than just a time sink.
Feb 18, 7:04 PM

Apr 2022
if i'm binge watching then wait till the end but if its a seasonal then i rate whenever i feel like it. rating early works for me usually, my final opinion is never that far off from my initial thoughts. at most i've gone from an 8 at the start of the season to 6 by the end. waiting till the end seems bothersome to me, like i'm forcing myself even though i already know how i feel about it.
Feb 18, 7:07 PM
Aug 2021
jpexists said:
Personally, I do. I like to watch things in full before giving it a proper rating. I feel like rating it low based on 3 or 4 episodes is a little bit of a disservice but a lot of people wouldn’t share that sentiment

3 episode rule, if it's uninteresting after 3 episode you can more or less accurately guess the rest of the show will be bad. Obviously there's exceptions for that rule but in general I'd say it's fairly accurate.
Feb 18, 7:11 PM
Jun 2023
The way I rate a show is usually after episode 2 but I do end up changing my rating if need be after every episode of a show. Ex. I gave Shangri-La Frontier an 8 in the beginning and then midway I felt it was dragging on certain parts, gave it a 7, but after the last few episodes I moved it back up to an 8 which is most likely gonna stay unless the last few episodes of the show will change that rating.
Feb 18, 7:13 PM

Mar 2021
I usually rate when there are like 1 or 2 episodes left. At that point I'll have a definite idea of how the series was and how it will be ending. Exceptions on some of the shows I'm biased towards from the beginning though!!
Feb 18, 7:16 PM
Sep 2016
I normally don't watch seasonal stuff til it's done airing, so I usually don't have to think about waiting to score an anime or not. That being said, I feel like most people can come to a consensus about what score to give an anime after watching a few episodes, and then adjusting the score as it progresses. Plus waiting to score an anime will naturally skew the score negatively since the only scores that'd exist would be from people who drop the series partway through.
Feb 18, 7:18 PM
Aug 2023
StarZone1 said:
jpexists said:

3 episode rule, if it's uninteresting after 3 episode you can more or less accurately guess the rest of the show will be bad. Obviously there's exceptions for that rule but in general I'd say it's fairly accurate.

I don’t disagree, I feel like Frieren in particular and Apothecary Diaries can be considered exceptions but in the same breath some people don’t like slow burners such as those, guess it just is what it is
Feb 18, 7:19 PM
May 2021
Yup! I also don't get how someone may rate a series when they haven't seen the whole thing yet. I need the full picture before judging it!
Feb 18, 7:59 PM
Jun 2023
if I really like that story or something in that anime then I will rate in between when I take some short breaks . if not then end.
Feb 18, 8:00 PM
Oct 2020
Only if it's really good, and I know what I am gonna rate it (ex: frieren, ragna crimson, mashle) if not, I will wait until I finish it
Feb 18, 8:13 PM
Aug 2019
Lannoyer05 said:

Eh, so long as you give a show a chance, I think you can rate a series whenever based on your current opinion of it. Nobody needs to feel compelled to finish a whole series just to rate it.

This is what makes a good pilot important, and it’s what makes maintaining good quality throughout a shows run important.
Feb 18, 8:26 PM
Feb 2021
Ratings do fluctuate for me if I watch weekly, so I watch it in one go. I get a clear picture of what I should rate it unaffected by any mood swings and I can appreciate the show as a whole.
Feb 18, 8:57 PM

Oct 2021
I'm not judging the whole thing, just what I watched.
Feb 18, 9:14 PM

Jul 2015
Can't wait till FMAB fanboys launch their assault once this finishes airing. lol

Feb 18, 9:18 PM
Dec 2022
Well, I adjust my rating as I go on in the series. I started Frieren with a 10 and it's still a 10 for me sooooo...yea, that's just the deal. Ah, but this is just my own rule.
Feb 18, 9:33 PM
Sep 2020
I always wait till I watch the whole series to rate something whether it's 12 episodes or 500 episodes
Feb 18, 9:38 PM

Apr 2021
Lannoyer05 said:

Exactly! I watch the entire anime before rating the whole anime, beside they have ratings for each episode and a forum discussion.

If you don’t like the anime, then drop it, nothing wrong with that.

But I think it is unfair for people to only watch 1-5 episodes of an anime and then rate based on that, sadly many people do this.

Your mind can change based on the remaining episodes, so just watch the entire anime.
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Feb 18, 9:40 PM

Apr 2021
kyo_1 said:
Suzeray87 said:

For new anime I rate each episode and then a final rating at the end.

But for older anime I just give a final rating after finishing the series.
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Feb 18, 9:48 PM

Sep 2022
I wait until I watch the whole season to rate an anime.
Feb 18, 9:56 PM

Jun 2017
I used to wait until I finished an anime to rate it but now, I rate it once I watched a few episodes and I change the score as I go on in the series.

This is the first time I start rating a show with a 10 and I think I will keep it until the end of the season.
Feb 18, 10:01 PM
Jan 2021
I just change it as the show progresses to what I feel it should be.
Feb 18, 10:04 PM

Nov 2021
Suzeray87 said:
kyo_1 said:

Damn man is thorough with his ratings lol I just rate it based on how not boring it was ifyk what I mean.
Each to their own as many said.
Feb 18, 10:28 PM
Apr 2023
Lannoyer05 said:

for most i rate it after finishing. or when it makes an impression on me or I drop it. but for some stuffs like frieren, or promising sequels that im biased about then I'd give it a 10 from the start. you should rate one piece tho, 600 eps enough
Feb 18, 11:28 PM

Feb 2012
if you want a better idea, post needs to include a poll
Feb 18, 11:29 PM
Feb 2020
I usually rate it when I start an anime, but I adjust my rating as the episodes advance.
Feb 18, 11:47 PM
Apr 2023
Lannoyer05 said:

I do the same but I just started one piece last month and I figure I’ll rate it before finishing since I won’t be done till like the end of 2026
Feb 19, 12:07 AM

Jan 2009
nah i do not wait for any anime to finish before i score them since i can always change my score anytime
Feb 19, 12:22 AM
Apr 2023
Always once i finish or once i drop
Feb 19, 1:06 AM
Jul 2022
I do. But this time, out of everything I'm watching rn, I've already rated Frieren. I just know that it is gonna stay a 10/10 for me till the end.
Feb 19, 1:22 AM

Apr 2016
For longer shows like Frieren, I rate the 1st part, then I'll adjust after watching part 2.
For shows that only last 12 episodes, I wait to watch the whole thing
Feb 19, 2:39 AM

Nov 2020
everyone has a different approach, I usually give a rating after 3-4 episodes (and even earlier if I know what the series is and what to expect), then I change the rating depending on whether the anime is better or worse in later episodes.

of course, this rule only applies to anime that is still being released, anime that I can watch in full, I rate after finishing
Ba-Cii10Feb 19, 2:52 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Favorite openings of 2024 so far?

Fukoku - 2 hours ago

4 by Zarutaku »»
4 minutes ago

» Best anime of 2024 so far?

Fukoku - 3 hours ago

15 by Nirinbo »»
7 minutes ago

» What cartoon did you come to learn was actually anime

JaniSIr - 7 hours ago

12 by Blackfire2340 »»
17 minutes ago

» Anime peaked in 1998

Iron_Leopard - 9 hours ago

21 by Gator »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you agree that One Piece being the top 1 currently airing anime suggests this Spring is weak?

18927 - Yesterday

32 by Gator »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.