Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 31, 2021 4:12 AM

May 2020
that speech was so cringe ngl, man needs to calm down

cute aoi in the last scene almost made me fall lmao

Jan 31, 2021 7:15 AM
May 2016
Wow a date? Did not see that coming already, nice when a show isn't predictable.
Jan 31, 2021 9:47 AM

Sep 2020
Ok, Tomozaki was a bit cringe on this one.

It's nice to see more girls getting into the game.

Cute of his apologizing to Fuuka-chan.
Feb 1, 2021 3:15 AM
Oct 2020
Hinami has gone too far in her plans. People are not computer programs, they have feelings. Good thing Tomozaki wasn't stupid enough to use his date with Fuuka for his self-improvement. I wonder if Hinami wouldn't mind Tomozaki practicing his first kiss on her.
Feb 2, 2021 2:10 AM

Apr 2014
I know there's a lot of well-deserved criticism to be levelled at this episode but I just want to say how unbelievably appreciative I am of Tomozaki taking initiative on telling Kikuchi the truth about not reading those books, and not making a dumb drama out of it, because I absolutely loathe the trope of characters not doing that.

Did anyone else feel that the voice acting was kinda echo-y at a few points? Not sure if that's on my end or the show's
MagmafrostFeb 2, 2021 2:26 AM
Feb 2, 2021 5:30 AM
Mar 2012
Both Izumi & Hinami had awful attitudes toward mc at first, but he became a good teacher in Subaru-poses lol. Their dual faced personalities still questionable, but at least Izumi got that fluffy hair.
I like mc sticking to sincerity with Fuuka and taking proper time, can't speedrun every route.
Solid speech Tomozaki, wow the room tots exploded. Hinami couldn't damage control there. Reminds of gamer speech in LogHorizon with mc's awkwardness.
Nice how Nakamura's improving, tho both blondes were so rudely confrontational.

Feb 2, 2021 5:54 PM
Mar 2019
Lets go Tomozaki!!!!! My boy is growing and setting shit offf
Feb 3, 2021 10:08 AM
Jul 2018
I'm imagining matches the tomozaki played with that guy lol.
Feb 3, 2021 7:00 PM

Jun 2020
I like how the rest of the “popular” kids don’t just outrightly bully Tomozaki. They are pretty cool too! Loving this show and its characters!!!! Also didn’t find the speech cringe at all.

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Feb 3, 2021 11:36 PM
Dec 2019
I think I need that speech of Tomozaki defending Tackfam and Nakamura on my phone, the voice actor threw out of the park with that, I felt the emotions I got really hyped up over it
Feb 6, 2021 10:13 AM

May 2018

Tomozaki giving Erika a piece of his mind in the world of Tackfam......wlep typical of a loser like him to defend the world he only knows.

Ya know if I were Erika , I would have ask Tomozaki if his game can put food on the table, can his game give him a life when he grows old, and will his game and console be around when it becomes obsolete?. If I were Erika I would have gotten near Tomozaki and kick his balls, cu'z to be honest, I really hate the analogy that Tomozaki was trying to prove, besides the blond guy need not waste his time dealing with a loser like Tomozaki given that he has everything already.
JiangHaoyi1979Feb 6, 2021 10:22 AM
Feb 7, 2021 2:20 AM
Feb 2021
Erika is so annoying, i want to punch that girl
Feb 10, 2021 5:50 PM

Oct 2017
There's not much I hate more than anime using high pitched screaming to convey emotion, passion or drama,.. like AoT, Black Clover (*insert a couple of dozen anime here).....
If Hinami's influence on Tomozaki leads to him screaming at the top of his lungs defending his game.. and the anime portrays this is a good thing... that's a terribly bad thing imo.
There's many oher and far better ways this could have been done, just him saying it, calmly and with confidence for instance, would have made much more of an impact.

This whole show has been on my watchlist balancing on the edge of a cliff already, I think I'm ready to drop it.
The scene alone dropped the score to a 5/10, and that's me being generous.
Misuta-KitsuneFeb 10, 2021 5:58 PM
Feb 10, 2021 7:12 PM
Jun 2020
Misuta-Kitsune said:
There's not much I hate more than anime using high pitched screaming to convey emotion, passion or drama,.. like AoT, Black Clover (*insert a couple of dozen anime here).....
If Hinami's influence on Tomozaki leads to him screaming at the top of his lungs defending his game.. and the anime portrays this is a good thing... that's a terribly bad thing imo.
There's many oher and far better ways this could have been done, just him saying it, calmly and with confidence for instance, would have made much more of an impact.

This whole show has been on my watchlist balancing on the edge of a cliff already, I think I'm ready to drop it.

Thank you for letting us know what you think man, maybe you want to be the next hero who put some "insightful" review and put 1 score?
Feb 10, 2021 8:15 PM

Oct 2017
AgehaYoru said:
Misuta-Kitsune said:

Thank you for letting us know what you think man, maybe you want to be the next hero who put some "insightful" review and put 1 score?

I think I'm entitled to my opinion and isn't a forum the place to express that?
Fine by me if you don't agree, you are just as entitled to your opinion of course and trying to open up a conversation on the points you don't agree with in an adult fashion is absolutely fine as well...... but your response comes off as... butthurt?

Nope, I'm not about to act like a child and nuke the score by giving it a 1, I have been watching anime for 13 years now and I never acted as childish as that. After all, the anime hád some good points that got me to episode 4, didn't it?
I just think it's average at best, my opinion,... nothing more, nothing less.
Sorry you can't deal with people not liking the same things you do.
Misuta-KitsuneFeb 10, 2021 8:25 PM
Feb 11, 2021 10:50 AM
Jan 2020
This episode was intense. Tomozaki raised his voice. He did a lot of work this time.
Mar 2, 2021 3:24 PM

Jul 2019
Idk why people think Tomozaki was being cringe, I understand his anger. Though I feel like it was more forced than amything else.

I was hoping Tomozaki would choose Fuuka to the movies, she is best girl
NextUniverseMar 2, 2021 3:28 PM
Mar 22, 2021 10:33 AM

Feb 2019
Loved that final scene with Tomozaki asking Hinami to the movie. So sweet! I ship them.
Mar 24, 2021 2:00 AM
Sep 2020
God damn that was some cringe VA... like I guess its 10/10 because he's voice acting a cringe character. But the speech would be way better if it was done without shouting like a monkey that got ran over. I was sweating from how cringe it was.
Mar 29, 2021 3:44 PM

May 2015
i really liked how tomozaki just went off with that girl ajahahaha even tho it was bc of the game
No matter who much you regret or wish,
if you couldn't do something in life,
you can't do it after death, either.
- Hanako
Mar 29, 2021 9:28 PM

Aug 2017
Bitch got what she deserved, I want to see her suffer in the future.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 23, 2021 3:18 PM

Dec 2014
damn it was cringey grlllll chill out, getting all defensive about smash bros LMFAO

can't believe some people say this was better than Horimiya this past season
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 16, 2021 12:48 AM

Jul 2015
Tomozaki has shown some incredible progress this ep. I'm glad he decided to be sincere towards Fuka, definitely is better for him that way. Bit perplexed how passionate Tomozaki talks when its about the godtier game Tackfam especially when he lashed out to Erika

Jul 1, 2021 11:04 AM

Nov 2013
I think Erika was totally right. Dude got obsessed with some fucking game and acts like a total asshat. It's not her fault those idiots got trolled so easily.
I really want to protect Erika more, but i can't. She is so primitively written to annoy viewers so that's no use to take her side.
Sep 22, 2021 2:47 AM

Jan 2017
Fumiya with his GAMER RANT is such a powerful scene despite it's cringe-ness levels, man's just defending his hobby with everything he has

Nakamura's surprisingly got some character development too huh, looks like Fumiya's efforts somewhat paid off
Oct 1, 2021 12:35 PM
Mar 2020
MegamiRem said:
That was a smooth way to ask Hinami in a date, looking forward to it.

Also I dunno why but Tomozaki's speech felt kinda cringe to me but that bitch had it coming so it was fun to see her get roasted and Izumi landed the final blow.

Yeah you are right.. a little bit of cringe but she deserves it
Jul 26, 2022 3:39 AM

Jun 2021
The mc tries to change himself for the better, but that gamer girl is forcing herself to act a different way so she could be popular?

Did "Be the real you" go out the window?
Sep 8, 2022 1:53 PM
Jul 2017
Esta discusión ha de marcar un antes y un después de la evolución del personaje.
OtakuDeprimido

Apr 14, 2023 2:26 AM
Sep 2021
This is second time i watched this episode. Honestly the part of Tomozaki being mad is the one scene that i wanna skip lol, the scene is very cringy. But, i realize that what he say about not to laugh at someone hardwork was acceptable and the seiyuu just doing the great job so it's feels more natural.
May 9, 2023 3:58 AM

Dec 2022
Lmao, he really pushing the top tier level strategies onto a casual gamer. He sure changed his opinion quick in just 3 episodes. Life isn't drama class Aoi, you should be more natural.
Jul 17, 2023 2:10 AM

Jul 2021
really happy for tomozaki. the character development is real. good shit.

btw imagine erika just said "cry about it" and went off. man would be in shambles. it looks cool on screen but in real life it won't be that easy if you're dealing with shitty people.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jul 18, 2023 5:12 AM

Dec 2020
The whole time, I was like the white hair girl situation is gonna turn out badddddd. But he's been on the fence and literally just straight up told the truth instead of letting it fester.

Ok but yes gamer rage was cringy but that's like a huge part of his life. So not really a pass but I get it.
Nov 7, 2023 5:20 PM

Sep 2023
Reply to AgehaYoru
This episode concludes the adaptation of volume 1. There's a little bit of dialogue that was changed:
When Izumi asked Tomozaki to teach her Atafami, she invited him to her house. In the novel, Izumi asked him to teach her Atafami in his house, but then Tomozaki suggested that they do it at her house instead. The reason is, Tomozaki's little sister is Izumi's junior in the Badminton club. She didn't connect at first but then realized that "Zakki" from 1st year in her club is actually Tomozaki's sister (of course since they're so different in personality).

I really like Sato Gen's voice acting here, especially when he enthusiastically talked about Atafami. It sounds just like his normal voice (if you've been listening to Tomozaki's radio show, you'll know it). The talk between Izumi and Tomozaki about "character" and whether if it's too late to change it was nice. It's one of few things that really resonated with me when reading first volume. You can change and improve your character if you put efforts in it (I've seen it firsthand to my friend in HS too, he was totally introverted in middle school but became more extroverted in high school).

Nakamura also showed a character development here, he didn't blame the game again and refused to change his character. He also practiced a lot that even surprised Tomozaki and it was really respectable. Too bad that Erika interrupted with the stereotypical "queen bee" attitude. Well, we won't see Erika often in the anime, but later in LN (after the anime end), she will come out again in volume 4-5, so if you're intrigued about what would happen after the anime you can check the english translation.

As for Tomozaki's speech, I think it was a great performance by Sato Gen. I like how he nailed Tomozaki's break down during the speech and how he lets out all the truth and what he's been thinking.
I agree with him, it's not fair to make fun of people who puts all their effort into something, especially if the person who mocked them is not even trying. I know his speech is not easy to listen to, but considering Tomozaki is originally an awkward guy who didn't know how to communicate, it was realistic. (FYI Sato Gen is completely the opposite of Tomozaki in real life, he has always been cheerful and energetic, and he even became the student council president during High School).

Also, another thing that makes me love the series is how Tomozaki's approach toward people, especially to Kikuchi. Instead of using Hinami's tactics, he chose to told her the truth. He chose the sincere/genuine path. Good for him for using the tickets to invite Hinami too (although got shot down lol).

All in all, Tomozaki's volume 1 adaptation was thorny at the beginning, but gradually improved a lot and that's what I felt about the book too. Volume 1 might not be the ideal beginning, but looking back after reading up to volume 8.5, it's definitely getting better (you might argue that volume 1 is the weakest volume). Now I can't wait to see the adaptation of volume 2, since this volume is what truly made me fall in love with the series. Also, Mizusawa will appear quite a lot too since this volume, so for Nobunaga Shimazaki's fan I think you're going to love his character.
@AgehaYoru Thank you for your great perspective on this anime. It’s nice to have the comparison to the LN!

I think the audio has greatly improved over the course of a few episodes and the dialogues feel much more natural now. It’s also the fact that Tomozaki ability to speak up has also improved. Well done!
Dec 31, 2023 8:21 PM

Dec 2012
INCREDIBLE EPISODE 10/10

Jan 4, 8:44 AM

Aug 2014
that talk to Erika was something good, but that yelling was not :P
everything and I mean everything, went good so far in this episode ;]
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Jan 13, 1:00 PM
Jan 2024
Nice Cutthrougth
Jan 22, 12:43 PM

May 2015
What Tomozaki said to the blonde b*tch come from the heart.
Jan 26, 2:41 AM
Dec 2022
Tomozaki is getting through to his classmates and making an impact as well. Tomozaki able to stick up for himself and others when it is needed.
Feb 25, 10:43 AM
May 2020
tomozaki showed some real backbone at the end there
Jun 23, 3:57 AM

Jul 2023
And the shipping for Aoi now begins.

Anyway, this could've been a good episode if not for the ham acting of screaming on top of his lungs to that bitch girl.

Teaching the other girl is a good part of this episode.
Aug 23, 8:04 PM

Dec 2021
That screaming was annoying honestly, it wasnt needed. But tomozaki has leveled up from being a loser to better in the game called LIFE or i would rather say "Human life". Imo one of the reasons video games are better is that you can RESTART , RESUME and PAUSE etc , major mistakes can be corrected unlike some things in the HUMAN LIFE GAME. But im enjoying this show , i feel i found the right anime for me in the perfect time
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Anyone else disappointed on whom does tomozaki date? (LN SPOILERS)

Elma_fer - Mar 20, 2021

25 by Shubham-gupta »»
Aug 30, 1:43 PM

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jan 22, 2021

124 by vinnywizanime »»
Aug 21, 5:42 AM

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jan 15, 2021

128 by vinnywizanime »»
Aug 20, 6:17 AM

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Jan 8, 2021

245 by vinnywizanime »»
Aug 13, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2021

186 by iwubanime »»
Jul 31, 10:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.