Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 5, 2023 2:25 PM
Aug 2022
So now that the anime has ended, what did people hate about the manga when that ended? From what I’ve heard, both are pretty much the same except for a few minor tweaks to the anime.

But still, it felt like it was the worst ending ever when people talked about the manga. So, what exactly was hated?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 5, 2023 2:26 PM
Aug 2022
For me personally, I will say, I really liked the ending and thought it wrapped up everything in a great way. I’m just curious as a non manga reader.
Nov 5, 2023 2:32 PM

Feb 2012
I didn’t like how we go through 3 seasons of seeing our characters struggle against this nazi country that keep their people down, for them to just flip the script and try to turn the other cheek. I get it they didn’t want innocent people to die but cmon man we didn’t watch this anime because of how wholesome it was
Nov 5, 2023 2:34 PM
Jan 2021
Eren’s inconsistency and armin’s forgiveness the rumbling. Also shafting all of historia’s development and for shadowing, and Mikasa getting no real “development” she’s just kinda there.
Nov 5, 2023 2:35 PM
Jan 2021
also the battle on the founding titan felt like some shonen final boss battle which attack on titan has never been about, plot armour galore
Nov 5, 2023 2:37 PM

Jan 2009
2 popular reasons i see from haters are

they call the alliance as cringed marvel avengers

they want eren to do 100% genocide of all humanity outside of paradis because they believe that will prevent the future war and destruction of paradis that happened in the ending scene but its clear in the ending scene of the anime that future war takes place many centuries afterward so its more likely a different conflict than the hate for eldians, and 100% killing of enemies is true to erens belief of if we kill all our enemies then we will be free and i keep moving forward until i destroy all my enemies
Nov 5, 2023 2:38 PM
Sep 2022
I really hated that in the end if they attacked paradise even if it was in the future, it makes me feel that since there was no peace everything I have seen in the series was of no use and it makes me very angry, even though it is realistic
Nov 5, 2023 2:40 PM
Oct 2014
I think this ending was a great end for this anime. I even gave the latest title a 9/10 rating.

I will also note that Attack on Titan surprised me very pleasantly. When I watched the first season, I can’t say that I liked it very much. It wasn't bad, but wasn't very good I gave it 7/10. The second season was very boring at 6/10. And it seemed that everything was sliding into boring shit. However, the further development pleasantly surprised me (third season and others), the anime was filled with meaning and ceased to be the average shonen about teenagers, and teenagers ceased to be such, which only benefited the title. The anime was filled with meaning and food for thought. And the ending we saw summed up the story perfectly.
Oct 2019
The last scene with Levi. He deserved to have Falco and Gabi by his side. Kinda disappointed.

Mar 2021
Before anyone comes here and starts making baseless assumptions about ending haters, here's what's hated.

Massive alliance plot armor, Hundreds of titans + titan shifters did nothing to the Alliance, Marvel-type fight with no stakes unlike early seasons fights, sudden shift against the island, Eren motivation retcons, Eren character assassination, crying about mikasa while murdering billions, Eren being made into a tragic hero, Eren not knowing why he killed 80% of the world, Mikasa suddenly being the key character for the plot (Ymir bullshit), Eren killing his own mother being brushed away by Armin a few seconds later, Eren killing his own mother being brushed away by the fandom a few seconds later, Eren apparently lying in his previous monologues, Eren let them win, Worm being the big baddie and just disappearing cuz why not, Jean and Connie die only to get instantly revived, Zeke dying = Rumbling stops for some reason, Kruger fighting against Eren, Colossal Eren, overdone symbolism, Falco conveniently being able to fly and being an expert at it (when Eren and other shifters had entire arcs dedicated to learning titan stuff), Reiner sniffing letter, Annie not getting any consequences at all, Annie and Pieck crying for Eren, Armin being the Messiah, the rest of the world not killing Armin and his friends, Armin convincing Zeke to kill himself after he showed him Leaf, Mikasa carrying Eren's rotting head and using Moses powers to cross the ocean, Mikasa decapitating Eren then kissing the head, Ymir loved Fritz, Only Ymir Knows being the explanation for any question, climax battle with nobody except Eren dying, Paradis Island letting Avengers go back to the island, Mikasa thinking about Eren even after getting married, having children and grandchildren (poor husband), awful romance, 9/11 reference, Paradis gets bombed => Floch was right, sending the message that if you are gonna start a genocide, make sure you complete it fully (no half measures), "cycle of hatred" message that is overdone in media, Titans arent eradicated

And I feel like there's more.

Nov 5, 2023 2:42 PM
Aug 2021
Idk man for me it was perfect story conclusion
Nov 5, 2023 2:45 PM

Apr 2013
gabi survived was a grave mistake
kek
Nov 5, 2023 2:48 PM
Dec 2021
Reply to XxAtaraxiaxX
Eren’s inconsistency and armin’s forgiveness the rumbling. Also shafting all of historia’s development and for shadowing, and Mikasa getting no real “development” she’s just kinda there.
@XxAtaraxiaxX say you are stupid without saying you are stupid
Nov 5, 2023 2:54 PM

Jan 2008
I have to thanks those silly haters

I read the finale was bad i was kinda prepared for a bland end of the story..... what i got was an epic masterpiece.
It could have only ended like this
10/10
Nov 5, 2023 2:59 PM
Apr 2021
My biggest issue is that at the end of the day everything Eren did was kinda pointless. Eren was still cringe when he fully revealed his feelings about Mikasa to Armin. I think the shift to a strong romance theme/feel around the last 30 minutes of the episode didn’t really resonate I think because it was all just kinda out of nowhere and not shown enough and really isn’t what aot is about. Ending is a lot better than the manga which I give a 4/10 but the anime I give a solid 6/10 it was okay but no where near the standard satisfying 7-8 outta 10 of a FMAB or 9-10 outta 10 of something that leaves your mount open and thinking about it like the ending of evangelion or code geass.
BettertastethenUNov 5, 2023 3:06 PM
Nov 5, 2023 3:08 PM
Jan 2021
MugiwaraJopa said:
Before anyone comes here and starts making baseless assumptions about ending haters, here's what's hated.

Massive alliance plot armor, Hundreds of titans + titan shifters did nothing to the Alliance, Marvel-type fight with no stakes unlike early seasons fights, sudden shift against the island, Eren motivation retcons, Eren character assassination, crying about mikasa while murdering billions, Eren being made into a tragic hero, Eren not knowing why he killed 80% of the world, Mikasa suddenly being the key character for the plot (Ymir bullshit), Eren killing his own mother being brushed away by Armin a few seconds later, Eren killing his own mother being brushed away by the fandom a few seconds later, Eren apparently lying in his previous monologues, Eren let them win, Worm being the big baddie and just disappearing cuz why not, Jean and Connie die only to get instantly revived, Zeke dying = Rumbling stops for some reason, Kruger fighting against Eren, Colossal Eren, overdone symbolism, Falco conveniently being able to fly and being an expert at it (when Eren and other shifters had entire arcs dedicated to learning titan stuff), Reiner sniffing letter, Annie not getting any consequences at all, Annie and Pieck crying for Eren, Armin being the Messiah, the rest of the world not killing Armin and his friends, Armin convincing Zeke to kill himself after he showed him Leaf, Mikasa carrying Eren's rotting head and using Moses powers to cross the ocean, Mikasa decapitating Eren then kissing the head, Ymir loved Fritz, Only Ymir Knows being the explanation for any question, climax battle with nobody except Eren dying, Paradis Island letting Avengers go back to the island, Mikasa thinking about Eren even after getting married, having children and grandchildren (poor husband), awful romance, 9/11 reference, Paradis gets bombed => Floch was right, sending the message that if you are gonna start a genocide, make sure you complete it fully (no half measures), "cycle of hatred" message that is overdone in media, Titans arent eradicated

This guy nailed it^^ also the historia child buildup being shafted and Mikasa’s heritage meant nothing in the long run
Nov 5, 2023 3:08 PM

Jul 2019
Reply to Odabrani

@MugiwaraJopa. I want everyone to read this!

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Nov 5, 2023 3:10 PM

Jul 2019
Reply to XxAtaraxiaxX
MugiwaraJopa said:

This guy nailed it^^ also the historia child buildup being shafted and Mikasa’s heritage meant nothing in the long run
@XxAtaraxiaxX, thank god there are people in this fandom who have the brains and just don't fall for all the shit fanservice.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Nov 5, 2023 3:12 PM
Mar 2016
Only Ymir (the Founder) knows.
Nov 5, 2023 3:13 PM

Mar 2023
Reply to Odabrani

@MugiwaraJopa Falco sinking the ship was also quite stupid. Could of taken 2 minutes to transform from a life boat. They even knew the risk and warned beforehand
Nov 5, 2023 3:16 PM
Apr 2022
People hate because this series was promising but went out disgustingly bad. It’s insulting to everyone who invested so much time on this typical garbage.
Nov 5, 2023 3:37 PM

Oct 2013
DegenerateRed said:
So now that the anime has ended, what did people hate about the manga when that ended?
There was a vocal group of edgy elitistic shippers who were mad after seeing that EreHisu (Eren x Historia ship) wouldn't become reality.

There were also people mad about their headcanon not becoming real, lol.

Manga ending wasn't perfect and its first version (the one from the magazine, not the extended version from Vol. 34) was really underwhelming, but come on. Some people reacted in such a childish way that it was even more pathetic than that one infamous scene with Eren by the sea.

But from complaints coming from people who weren't toxic back then and actually wanted to talk in a civil way, I remember that most of folks criticized the writing and/or ridiculously done final battle, with over the top epicness.

As for me, the first version of the manga ending felt underwhelming, even if thematically it was good. It didn't feel like an epilogue to me. On top of that it had several technical cracks, like starting new plot points instead of focusing on wrapping everything up.

I guess Isayama-sensei wanted to try to go with the traditional jo-ha-kyuu ending mixed with the tropes popular in the West. If yes, then it'd be something definitely bold and difficult. Many experienced writers would've failed to harmonize those two modulation techniques, and AoT manga was the very first big manga project created by Isayama. Not to justify the technical cons, but it shouldn't be surprising that the ending felt lackluster in this aspect. Well, it apparently was surprising for many edgy manga elitists from back then, huh.
Nov 5, 2023 3:40 PM

Jul 2015
Seems like people unironically wanted Eren go become a cartoonish and shallow villain, that will destroy absolutely everything just because his mommy dies and win in the end.

Nov 5, 2023 3:44 PM
Jun 2022
Piromysl said:
Seems like people unironically wanted Eren go become a cartoonish and shallow villain, that will destroy absolutely everything just because his mommy dies and win in the end.

"We will use power of the friendship"
Nov 5, 2023 3:58 PM

Dec 2015
As someone that overall liked the ending, I do respect some points people bring up to not like the ending and I agree with very few of them. But yeah, a lot of them are bullshit. The huge wall of text the Mugi dude posted had some repeated points just to make his post "scarier" and some objectively dumb points ("Floch was right" is a big yikes). But ultimately I think it's all boosted by pretentious ppl like this Sozin guy. Nothing makes me instantly lose my respect than using the "I have bigger brain" argument. Just kinda shows how a shitty person you are.

Now that most anime watcher loved the ending, there's already great arguments out there to counter balance the free hate. Well, not that it matter cause this will become a TLOU2 scenario where fanbase will fight through eternity.
Nov 5, 2023 4:24 PM

Dec 2012
Reply to Odabrani

@MugiwaraJopa solid list
Eren has the most consistent personality and character growth right up until the final part of the story for no discernible reason. He has no reason to annihilate every living being on the planet - nevermind the ecological devastation ensuring a global extinction event - and his desire for freedom is handily fulfilled by simply taking out major military and political centers. Considering he managed to sneak into the largest empire's capital undetected and just wasted months of his life living there he would more than easily perform adequately in this regard.

The hatred for Eldians was mostly propaganda and military strongarming as displayed by the Eldian crew (Eren included) happily spending time in gypsy and arab villages or discussing diplomacy with factions other than Marley.

And it all boils down to "I'm stupid", "if i kill everyone there do i win?" not to mention the idiotic Mikasa angle which again baffles the mind considering the entire show up until this point. To portray him as a cuck out of the blue is like watching a toy bird have a screw loose and screaming emo rock instead of peaceful chirping. Schizoid writing right at the end when it mattered the most.
Nov 5, 2023 4:33 PM
Aug 2017
I’ll answer like I did in another post: I believe that some people were frustrated because they wanted a happy ending. They were upset on how Eren died, and on how things worked were unfair etc etc. But I loved the ending because for me real life itself is unfair, cruel, it can be good too but sometimes things in our lives make no sense. We always want answers from fiction and a happy end, but sometimes that doesn’t happen in real life itself.
Nov 5, 2023 4:42 PM

Jul 2015
Falcon07 said:
Piromysl said:

Power of friendship was a major theme throughout entire series. Complaining about it just now is kinda too late.

Nov 5, 2023 4:47 PM
May 2021
MugiwaraJopa said:

Jesus christ i feel like your on erens level of insane
Shinzo Sasageyo
Nov 5, 2023 4:50 PM
Nov 2015
Reply to Roxiena
I’ll answer like I did in another post: I believe that some people were frustrated because they wanted a happy ending. They were upset on how Eren died, and on how things worked were unfair etc etc. But I loved the ending because for me real life itself is unfair, cruel, it can be good too but sometimes things in our lives make no sense. We always want answers from fiction and a happy end, but sometimes that doesn’t happen in real life itself.
@Roxiena You dont need to believe, there is literally a list of reasons in this thread why its bad and its nothing to do with it not being a happy ending.
Nov 5, 2023 5:16 PM
May 2017
MugiwaraJopa said:

yall read this^ cuz its about being an edgy bs its about its inconsistency of the plot
Nov 5, 2023 5:31 PM

Jul 2016
Reply to Odabrani

I will also quote this post because it has many of the points that really irritated me with the ending, and still do. The plot ignores many plotlines and just disregards previously mentioned info. Literally anything with Historia after the time skip was pointless. They showed her many times, especially in the manga, interacting with eren and dripfeeding us little tidbits as though her pregnancy was important, and for some reason she asked Eren how he would feel if she were to have a child. Which is a very strange question to ask out of a guy who has literally NOTHING to do with the pregnancy and has no bearing on anything that happens afterwards. Lets say that conversation happened between them, okay, why show us the readers that they talked about this if it had absolutely nothing to do with the plot? I mean just read Mugi's post, he covers everything very well. Plenty of shit to hate in the ending. The writing goes schizophrenic.
Nov 5, 2023 5:43 PM

Jan 2010
Reply to Odabrani

@MugiwaraJopa Chad
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the
Nov 5, 2023 5:59 PM

Dec 2012
Reply to Piromysl
Falcon07 said:
Piromysl said:

Power of friendship was a major theme throughout entire series. Complaining about it just now is kinda too late.
@Piromysl The power of friendship didn't work for Marco or the original Levi Squad. The moral of season 1 is that believing in your nakama only gets them killed.
Nov 5, 2023 6:51 PM
Aug 2021
Okey, it seems like people have assumed weird stuff to why people dont like the ending or in my case post basement.

I hate the fact that AoT borrows upon real life anti-semetism, but at the same time twists it into some form of justification because of the 2000 year old sin. But in our world, this is a dogwhistle that is based on a myth, in AoT it comes off as "The Jews had it coming" because there it is the actual history.

Second part I hated is the fact that AoT put so much effort into being a political show that focuses on themes like nationalism and hate only to have the whole story be something Eren manipulated when touched royalty. It cheapened allot of things for me and made the story go into something that wasn't as engaging.

If you wonder why people hated the ending, try finding the original final chapter and I kid you not, Armin in his conversation with Eren is passive and then thanks him.

Btw, don't interpret this as me thinking that people that enjoy AoT are far-right dumbasses. It's just me not liking that aspect and it ruined allot of the story for me.
Nov 5, 2023 7:05 PM
Feb 2021
Reply to Odabrani

@MugiwaraJopa perfect explanation! Thank you for having brain cells!
Nov 5, 2023 7:27 PM
May 2021
Reply to Uiai
gabi survived was a grave mistake
kek
@Uiai Agree with that Gabi and Falco survive is the worst thing in this anime no doubt.
Nov 5, 2023 7:39 PM
Aug 2017
raffyzita said:
@Roxiena You dont need to believe, there is literally a list of reasons in this thread why its bad and its nothing to do with it not being a happy ending.

I’m seeing people complaining about being unfair, out of character, as if life itself isn’t unfair and as if people don’t change with time. “Eren sacrificed himself for nothing” when he did sacrifice himself for his friends and he succeeded. They had a good life and after years war started again. Showing real life as people always find a reason to fight and hate each other.
Nov 5, 2023 8:13 PM
Oct 2021
ppl always find something to complain about this ain't new.
Nov 5, 2023 10:20 PM
Apr 2020
MugiwaraJopa said:

Thank God there are still people with critical thinking in this fandom !! You said it all.
Nov 5, 2023 10:57 PM

Nov 2022
Reply to Inlighted0Varsh
@Uiai Agree with that Gabi and Falco survive is the worst thing in this anime no doubt.
@Inlighted0Varsh What is with this fixation on some kids to die? Ik the plot isn't the strongest in the end, but ig you missed the entire point of reason during Gabi and Braun family arc. Gabi is supposed to be a mirror image of Eren, her fixation with a political/military victory and an event where her friends get ground solidifying her hate. The redemption of Gabi is one of the most bittersweet element in Season 4.

Really, I am done with this fandom, filled with edgelords and soulless idiots. Good thing this is the last one, I am out of this fandom.
Nov 5, 2023 11:00 PM
Aug 2022
MugiwaraJopa said:

1. First of all there's plot armor in every fucking anime, in comparison to many, AOT still handles it better than many series
Nov 5, 2023 11:03 PM
Aug 2022
MugiwaraJopa said:

Eren's character wasn't assasinated, It was the mental breakdown of a person, a human being whose mind had fucked up levels above the normal mental condition of a person. This shows that he was a normal human being all along who wanted to protect tge people that he loved and not some edgy cold heartless maniac.
Nov 5, 2023 11:11 PM
Aug 2022
MugiwaraJopa said:

3. I guess You didn't understand when he said that he is an idiot. He knew very well what he was doing, he wanted to preserve the peace in paradis island and wanted to equal the military strength of the outside world so in any kind of conflict, paradis could a stand a chance and also his main goal which was to eradicate titans from the world had been achieved.
Eren's actions are completely devilish and he does not deserve anything but to burn in hell for a long time, he knows that and that's he says he's an idiot, thus saying that there obviously could have been more rational solutions, but because of all the memories existing all at one in his head thus fucking up his brain, he let his anger take over which had been building up from the point he saw his mother die and started genocide
Nov 5, 2023 11:13 PM
Aug 2022
MugiwaraJopa said:

4. I agree about the flaw of the ymir and mikasa parallel that did not make complete sense but i still take that as mikasa did what ymir couldn't and thus mikasa became the key
Nov 5, 2023 11:15 PM
Jul 2022
Very cliché ending tbh Mikasa giving the final blow to Eren was to be expected but it actually disappointed me that I was right + all that " I started the rumbling so you could all be heroes in the end...but it's all meaningless so my sacrifice will be in vain " was so bullshit I preferred the narrative where Eren was a narcissistic psychopath and would like him to went down like one. At the end of the day I'm just happy that Levy survived in the end I totally expected him to die.

7/10 but I think this is just me being attached to the characters.
Nov 5, 2023 11:18 PM
Aug 2022
MugiwaraJopa said:

5. Jean and conny were revived because titan power was gone from the face of the earth since eren died
The rumbling stopped because zeke was of royal blood, I agree about the worm part but he probably might have escaped because it's a parasite ( hallucegenia ).
Nov 5, 2023 11:27 PM
Aug 2022
6. Imagine yourself living in a world without parents filled with war and racism, nobody there to guide you or tell you which way to choose what's even right or wrong and just suddenly throwing you a literal child to the horrors of war. You'd lose your mind right, same was with zeke since nobody was there with him in the hardships of his except ksaver who also died in one of the worst ways, he ended up building his own nihilistic ideology about how its pointless to be born if we are still going to die anytime. Armin gave a valid argument against this and said that its worth to live life for the small moments that we'll cherish for the rest of our lives and thus zeke remembers about the time he played catch with ksaver and realized that it was worth it all along and because of that he helps armin stop the rumbling
Nov 5, 2023 11:32 PM
Aug 2022
7. The time between mikasa was carrying eren's head and what we see of her the last time was 3 years. 3 fucking years had been passed, the ways she could've gotten back to paradis are many.
Nov 5, 2023 11:32 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Everything is so black and white this days. MAL is no exception, people now either give things they like a 10 or what they hate a 2 with little in between.

You have to differentiate between legitimate criticism and "hate". People pointing out flaws in the plot/story or being argumentative about certain characters isn't hating.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why is this so ugly??? ( 1 2 )

kizumi91 - Nov 5, 2023

62 by kizumi91 »»
Yesterday, 5:16 PM

» What would the characters favorite anime be?

TASM18 - Apr 5

28 by Zarutaku »»
Yesterday, 1:51 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season - Kanketsu-hen Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Nov 4, 2023

1475 by lkm630y »»
Jun 1, 11:11 AM

» Hulu steaming

Seiidou - Mar 3, 2023

4 by Freexpock »»
May 20, 1:44 PM

» When are these episodes getting an English dub?

did4375 - May 13

11 by ANIk_003 »»
May 19, 8:53 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.