Forum Settings
Forums

'Kingdom 5th Season' Announces Additional Cast

New
Oct 2, 2023 5:28 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
The official website of the Kingdom television anime announced additional cast members for the fifth season on Monday. The fifth season is scheduled to premiere on January 7 at 12:00 a.m.

Cast
Na Ki: Katsuyuki Konishi (Kimetsu no Yaiba)
Rin Gyoku: Taku Yashiro (Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan (2023))
Zenou: Takehiro Hasu (Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari!)
Raido: Kenji Nomura (Golden Kamuy)
Ma Ron: Motoki Sakuma (Spy x Family)

Kenichi Imaizumi (Katekyo Hitman Reborn!) returns to helm fifth season at Studio Signpost and Pierrot. Noboru Takagi (Golden Kamuy) is handling the series composition and Hisashi Abe (Berserk) is designing the characters. Hiroyuki Sawano (Shingeki no Kyojin) and Kohta Yamamoto (86) are composing the music.

Kingdom adapts Hara's historical military-themed manga series of the same name, which began its serialization in Weekly Young Jump in 2006. Shueisha published the 69th volume on July 19 and will release the 70th volume on November 17.

Source: Comic Natalie
DatRandomDudeOct 2, 2023 5:34 PM
Oct 2, 2023 8:26 PM

Mar 2018
I see virtually no support for this show on MAL except for a very small audience. Is it much more popular in Japan that it gets sequels after sequels while many others just do not?
\

Oct 3, 2023 12:02 AM
May 2013
Reply to hainq
I see virtually no support for this show on MAL except for a very small audience. Is it much more popular in Japan that it gets sequels after sequels while many others just do not?
The manga has consistently been in the top 10 sales since 2015 despite against top titles and new, more popular mainstream titles so it's fair to say it's very popular in Japan
Oct 3, 2023 3:26 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to hainq
@hainq It's a historical seinen based on Chinese history, with no waifus/yuri bait and moe character designs, no wonder it's a purely Japanese thing.
Oct 3, 2023 8:42 AM

Jan 2018
it's a manga without lolis, unnecessary fanservice or a melodramatic main character, no wonder it's not that popular on MAL given the countless number of p*d* or ellitists here.
Oct 3, 2023 11:41 AM

Mar 2016
So hyped for season 5! January 7th can't come soon enough
Oct 3, 2023 5:26 PM

Mar 2015
Reply to hainq
@hainq @RobertBobert @Yaaceen
Kingdom manga is almost in top 50 for popularity ranking and almost in top 10 for score ranking in MAL. it also has good traction in most scanlation site (it doesn't have english official release). the manga definitely pretty popular overseas.

it's only the anime that has no hype whatsoever because first season was soo bad. the fact that sequel happen years later definitely didn't help either. not whatever you guys write.
KumaOct 3, 2023 5:33 PM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 3, 2023 8:40 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Wooo! I can't wait for the fifth season! Looking forward to next year. <3
Oct 3, 2023 9:52 PM

Dec 2015
love this series, looking forward to it
Oct 4, 2023 12:33 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Kuma
@hainq @RobertBobert @Yaaceen
Kingdom manga is almost in top 50 for popularity ranking and almost in top 10 for score ranking in MAL. it also has good traction in most scanlation site (it doesn't have english official release). the manga definitely pretty popular overseas.

it's only the anime that has no hype whatsoever because first season was soo bad. the fact that sequel happen years later definitely didn't help either. not whatever you guys write.
@Kuma I appreciate your next attempt at being the funniest guy at the party, but we were discussing anime, not manga.
Oct 4, 2023 1:52 AM

Mar 2015
Reply to RobertBobert
@Kuma I appreciate your next attempt at being the funniest guy at the party, but we were discussing anime, not manga.
@RobertBobert read my second sentence. i just pointed out the franchise IT SELF is very popular, even overseas. it's not "purely Japanese" thing as you claim.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 4, 2023 1:54 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Kuma
@RobertBobert read my second sentence. i just pointed out the franchise IT SELF is very popular, even overseas. it's not "purely Japanese" thing as you claim.
@Kuma There are a lot of “purely Japanese things” that are somehow popular outside of Japan. And there are many anime that have regained interest and popularity even after the anime's bad or weak start. But, again. We were discussing anime, not manga, not the franchise itself. ANIME. Please spare me this arguing for the sake of arguing. Thank you.
RobertBobertOct 4, 2023 2:34 AM
Oct 4, 2023 2:57 AM

Mar 2015
Reply to RobertBobert
@Kuma There are a lot of “purely Japanese things” that are somehow popular outside of Japan. And there are many anime that have regained interest and popularity even after the anime's bad or weak start. But, again. We were discussing anime, not manga, not the franchise itself. ANIME. Please spare me this arguing for the sake of arguing. Thank you.
@RobertBobert
“purely Japanese things” that are somehow popular outside of Japan
have you not seen contradiction in this sentence? the content is still the same. but the manga is popular where the anime is not. your argument that it was content issue hold no water considering same exact content just with different representation (you know, not ruined by bad CGI, rushed adaptation, and long hiatuses) is in fact very popular, even overseas.
KumaOct 4, 2023 3:07 AM
Oct 4, 2023 3:20 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Kuma
@RobertBobert
“purely Japanese things” that are somehow popular outside of Japan
have you not seen contradiction in this sentence? the content is still the same. but the manga is popular where the anime is not. your argument that it was content issue hold no water considering same exact content just with different representation (you know, not ruined by bad CGI, rushed adaptation, and long hiatuses) is in fact very popular, even overseas.
@Kuma You know that manga and anime audiences are different, and that even undisputed manga hits with an impressive fan base can remain in the shadows due to weak anime adaptations or simply not receiving a certain amount of hype? I understand that this hurts you as a manga fan, but even while maintaining popularity in the west as a manga, Kingdom is still a very Japanese thing to regain its hype among significantly wider anime audience after a weak start. This is not Symphogay, which can make a huge comeback due to yuri bait and excellent OST sales, and not Bandori, which received a new anime thanks to the huge recognition of the actual game. And I will repeat once again, we are discussing anime. ANIME! Whose lack of hype you yourself admitted. Stop arguing for the sake of arguing about a manga we've only mentioned indirectly.
Oct 4, 2023 3:48 AM

Mar 2015
Reply to RobertBobert
@Kuma You know that manga and anime audiences are different, and that even undisputed manga hits with an impressive fan base can remain in the shadows due to weak anime adaptations or simply not receiving a certain amount of hype? I understand that this hurts you as a manga fan, but even while maintaining popularity in the west as a manga, Kingdom is still a very Japanese thing to regain its hype among significantly wider anime audience after a weak start. This is not Symphogay, which can make a huge comeback due to yuri bait and excellent OST sales, and not Bandori, which received a new anime thanks to the huge recognition of the actual game. And I will repeat once again, we are discussing anime. ANIME! Whose lack of hype you yourself admitted. Stop arguing for the sake of arguing about a manga we've only mentioned indirectly.
@RobertBobert my argument is the content is NOT the issue which you said what the problem with anime was. the manga IS popular. anime with similar premise CAN be popular. japan or overseas does not matter. it's not that historical premise is niche overseas either. hack, vinland saga and dororo literally just few years ago. it's not arguing for the sake of arguing. the anime is unpopular not because it have "no waifus/yuri bait and moe character designs", it simply a bad anime adaptation, especially comparing way more popular manga version.
Oct 4, 2023 6:25 AM

Feb 2012
Kingdom is a great series and I encourage any historical fan to pick it up either in anime or manga form. I'm exited about the next season as well!
Oct 4, 2023 6:52 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Ramkec
Kingdom is a great series and I encourage any historical fan to pick it up either in anime or manga form. I'm exited about the next season as well!
@Ramkec Nobody argues about this. It's just going to be quite difficult to completely convert manga readers into anime watchers when you just have solid good anime and not something trendy that can attract people even outside of the target audience. Personally, I find it difficult to imagine how you can sell this show to zoomers without additional investment in advertising, collaboration, or simply inviting a hyped artist for the soundtrack.
Oct 5, 2023 2:46 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
@RobertBobert I agree with Kuma about the anime not doing so well because of its first season. If I remember correctly, the anime flip-flopped between 2D and CG animation, which was horrible. I think that definitely played a role with the lack of hype the Kingdom franchise got, unfortunately. The only reason I got into it and stayed was because of a recommendation + consistently high scores for later seasons + story and setting was different and interesting enough to continue. Also at first glance, the anime poster itself looks like some old-school Chinese donghua.

Btw, have you seen the anime? O_o
Oct 5, 2023 2:56 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to MistyBlue
@RobertBobert I agree with Kuma about the anime not doing so well because of its first season. If I remember correctly, the anime flip-flopped between 2D and CG animation, which was horrible. I think that definitely played a role with the lack of hype the Kingdom franchise got, unfortunately. The only reason I got into it and stayed was because of a recommendation + consistently high scores for later seasons + story and setting was different and interesting enough to continue. Also at first glance, the anime poster itself looks like some old-school Chinese donghua.

Btw, have you seen the anime? O_o
The problem isn't why people didn't like the first season, the problem is why people didn't return to the anime after the second season, which had a lot less problems. And here we are faced with the fact that this franchise does not have the hype/trendy potential that helped shows like Bandori or Symphogear make a comeback in a similar situation. The example of Vinland or Dororo doesn't hold water here because Vinland had amazing promotion and selling to Western audiences while Dororo was a short, complete story. Not to mention that it's much easier for you to sell Vikings and samurai than a story about an obscure period of Chinese history.

Watched. But as in other similar situations, I removed the show from the list so that at some point I could watch it again and continue watching further, so as not to keep a show that I don’t remember with the rating pulled out of my head.
Oct 5, 2023 3:42 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Reply to RobertBobert
The problem isn't why people didn't like the first season, the problem is why people didn't return to the anime after the second season, which had a lot less problems. And here we are faced with the fact that this franchise does not have the hype/trendy potential that helped shows like Bandori or Symphogear make a comeback in a similar situation. The example of Vinland or Dororo doesn't hold water here because Vinland had amazing promotion and selling to Western audiences while Dororo was a short, complete story. Not to mention that it's much easier for you to sell Vikings and samurai than a story about an obscure period of Chinese history.

Watched. But as in other similar situations, I removed the show from the list so that at some point I could watch it again and continue watching further, so as not to keep a show that I don’t remember with the rating pulled out of my head.
@RobertBobert That's assuming people even got past the first season with 38 episodes. And I can see people forgetting and not picking up Kingdom after 7 years, especially with a weak beginning.

To my understanding, the reason why Kuma brought up Vinland Saga and Dororo was to argue against your initial claim that Kingdom is not as popular because of "no waifus/yuri bait and moe character designs". So yea it does hold water. But to argue against your claim that it would be harder to sell a story about an anime about obscure Chinese history, I would disagree. I think the initial outdated-looking art and character design ruined the first impressions for Kingdom. Had they started out with better art, adaptation and consistent airing, the anime would have received more popularity. Also, if Dororo rebooted with the same art style as its predecessor (not to diss the old art style), I doubt the same amount of people would watch it.

I'm not saying that Kingdom's popularity is low solely because of its weak first season and long hiatus, but we would be remiss not to consider those factors, along with lack of marketing.
MistyBlueOct 5, 2023 3:47 AM
Oct 5, 2023 3:52 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to MistyBlue
@RobertBobert That's assuming people even got past the first season with 38 episodes. And I can see people forgetting and not picking up Kingdom after 7 years, especially with a weak beginning.

To my understanding, the reason why Kuma brought up Vinland Saga and Dororo was to argue against your initial claim that Kingdom is not as popular because of "no waifus/yuri bait and moe character designs". So yea it does hold water. But to argue against your claim that it would be harder to sell a story about an anime about obscure Chinese history, I would disagree. I think the initial outdated-looking art and character design ruined the first impressions for Kingdom. Had they started out with better art, adaptation and consistent airing, the anime would have received more popularity. Also, if Dororo rebooted with the same art style as its predecessor (not to diss the old art style), I doubt the same amount of people would watch it.

I'm not saying that Kingdom's popularity is low solely because of its weak first season and long hiatus, but we would be remiss not to consider those factors, along with lack of marketing.
@MistyBlue No, he mentioned these shows because he turned my reference to Chinese history into a statement about how people don't like history shows in general. That's why I stopped talking to him. Denying that he is arguing for the sake of arguing, he literally went so far as to distort my comments in order to support the narrative. And yes, while trying to refute my argument, you yourself confirm it by saying that the show does not have the necessary art style and significant modernization in production. Not to mention the Kingdom's character designs as a whole are pretty minimal. And yes, it’s one thing to know about the well-known period of the Three Kingdoms or some conventional clichés like Shaolin and a rather strict depiction of not the most famous eras, most of which people know about (and have already forgotten) only from a school history lesson.
Oct 6, 2023 10:55 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Reply to RobertBobert
@MistyBlue No, he mentioned these shows because he turned my reference to Chinese history into a statement about how people don't like history shows in general. That's why I stopped talking to him. Denying that he is arguing for the sake of arguing, he literally went so far as to distort my comments in order to support the narrative. And yes, while trying to refute my argument, you yourself confirm it by saying that the show does not have the necessary art style and significant modernization in production. Not to mention the Kingdom's character designs as a whole are pretty minimal. And yes, it’s one thing to know about the well-known period of the Three Kingdoms or some conventional clichés like Shaolin and a rather strict depiction of not the most famous eras, most of which people know about (and have already forgotten) only from a school history lesson.
@RobertBobert Yea, I paired the two incorrectly, but my statement still stands that Kingdom's content (an anime in a historical Chinese setting) and its lack of "content" ("waifus/yuri bait and moe character designs") did not contribute to the anime's unpopularity. It's the execution in its earlier setup which has caused its low viewership. If the anime started with the quality like it has now, I'm sure there would have been more viewers.

RobertBobert said:
you yourself confirm it by saying that the show does not have the necessary art style and significant modernization in production.

I'm not sure what I have confirmed based on your statement, but a majority of people won't watch rigid CG animation (i.e. Berserk 2016) and say that was a Masterpiece, despite having a solid storyline.

No one really needs to be a history fanatic to understand and appreciate Kingdom (or most historical anime), it's mostly an action anime with a military theme...
Oct 7, 2023 2:16 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to MistyBlue
@RobertBobert Yea, I paired the two incorrectly, but my statement still stands that Kingdom's content (an anime in a historical Chinese setting) and its lack of "content" ("waifus/yuri bait and moe character designs") did not contribute to the anime's unpopularity. It's the execution in its earlier setup which has caused its low viewership. If the anime started with the quality like it has now, I'm sure there would have been more viewers.

RobertBobert said:
you yourself confirm it by saying that the show does not have the necessary art style and significant modernization in production.

I'm not sure what I have confirmed based on your statement, but a majority of people won't watch rigid CG animation (i.e. Berserk 2016) and say that was a Masterpiece, despite having a solid storyline.

No one really needs to be a history fanatic to understand and appreciate Kingdom (or most historical anime), it's mostly an action anime with a military theme...
@MistyBlue You are simply repeating the same thesis in different words, ignoring my answers, despite the development of my idea. For example, I explained to you how I see why people did not return to the show after the release of the normal second season, but you ignored it, again starting to discuss the reasons for not liking the first. Although I directly began my answer with the fact that the key to the question is not so much in the reasons for dislike for the first, but in the impossibility of the second to return people. Even when I noted that you actually yourself acknowledged the impossibility of a sequel to do this, you still tried to return to the thesis, which has already been discussed many times, “people didn’t like the first season.” If you are simply repeating your thesis, ignoring the content of my comments, then please do not waste my time. I'm not going to pointlessly endlessly discuss the same thing just because you want to promote your opinion.
RobertBobertOct 7, 2023 2:20 AM
Oct 7, 2023 11:17 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Reply to RobertBobert
@MistyBlue You are simply repeating the same thesis in different words, ignoring my answers, despite the development of my idea. For example, I explained to you how I see why people did not return to the show after the release of the normal second season, but you ignored it, again starting to discuss the reasons for not liking the first. Although I directly began my answer with the fact that the key to the question is not so much in the reasons for dislike for the first, but in the impossibility of the second to return people. Even when I noted that you actually yourself acknowledged the impossibility of a sequel to do this, you still tried to return to the thesis, which has already been discussed many times, “people didn’t like the first season.” If you are simply repeating your thesis, ignoring the content of my comments, then please do not waste my time. I'm not going to pointlessly endlessly discuss the same thing just because you want to promote your opinion.
@RobertBobert

RobertBobert said:
For example, I explained to you how I see why people did not return to the show after the release of the normal second season, but you ignored it, again starting to discuss the reasons for not liking the first.

Which part was that? The one where you were comparing Kingdom to other anime? And that it isn't as "trendy" as other popular anime?
Other than mentioning the Chinese history aspect (which I've touched upon) you're not really talking much about the anime itself, it's just comparing it to other anime for its lack of viewers.

MistyBlue said:
That's assuming people even got past the first season with 38 episodes. And I can see people forgetting and not picking up Kingdom after 7 years, especially with a weak beginning.

What more is there to discuss, other than the fact that sequels and hiatuses are known to have viewership numbers decline? The third season aired 6-7 years after the second season. That's more than enough time for people to forget about the show and lose interest in it. You seem fixated on the second season as if that hinges on the momentum of a show's success, when the first few episodes of the first season are usually what makes people ultimately decide whether they want to continue with the entire franchise.

I'd be happy to agree to disagree since your comparison with a historical military anime to a couple of music anime is a sad take.
Oct 10, 2023 2:58 AM
Oct 2020
Reply to hainq
@hainq One of the most underrated anime.

More topics from this board

» Singer-Songwriter Sayuri Dies at 28 ( 1 2 )

Vindstot - Sep 26

82 by GrangeR_143 »»
1 hour ago

» 'Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken' Receives Fourth Season, Second Movie

Vindstot - 8 hours ago

2 by _MushiRock11_ »»
2 hours ago

» Singer Masayoshi Ooishi Announces Marriage

Aiimee - Jul 31, 2020

4 by TemdoesSpeedruns »»
10 hours ago

» Musicians Sayuri, Amaarashi Announce Marriage

Hyperion_PS - Mar 18

9 by titan-19 »»
Yesterday, 11:38 AM

» 'Senpai wa Otokonoko' Gets Anime Movie Sequel in February 2025

DatRandomDude - Sep 26

3 by HiyoriSunakawa »»
Yesterday, 10:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.