Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 17, 2023 9:33 AM

Nov 2011
Keitarou getting tormented by spirits and evil entities is a common sight now. Although I have to admit, they picked a rather interesting setting for this episode...

This episode had horror vibes and in a very dark matter without the humor. Mentally, Keitarou feels being attacked and felt like he was trapped in a nightmare. What an episode, one of the darker ones imo.
Sep 17, 2023 9:56 AM

Dec 2021
Damn, no wonder these spirits are S-rank in terms of danger. They're not small fry like the other ones our protagonists have dealt with before.

We pick up where we left last episode, Yayoi and Keitaro visit the H Castle Ruins, a haunted spot with a danger level of S. On the way to the most spiritual waterfall, Keitaro gets separated from Yayoi. Keitaro, in a panic trying to search for Yayoi gets deep into the ruins and gets surrounded by a bunch of spirits. He then finds Yayoi, but to his surprise she's been hung.

"A good spirit," I suppose there aren't any in this story. The nearest semblance was Ai's brother attempt to spare her from becoming the god's bride. But goodness, these spirits are formidable if they've even captured Yayoi. I'm clueless about how they'll extricate themselves from this predicament unless these entities truly are benevolent apparitions. This anime certainly excels at unsettling imagery, though. The sight of hands attempting to pry open the wound on Keitaro's neck probably disturbed me the most.

Holy shit this is getting intense. This episode gets me exicted to see what the other S-rank danger places are like.

Sep 17, 2023 10:34 AM

Feb 2021
I wonder when will we get a new OP. I really like this one though (the full version especially).
7:15 BRO. Damn, this one got me lol. This is the first jumpscare so far right?

9:18 安土桃山時代 (Azuchi–Momoyama jidai) - The Azuchi–Momoyama period was the final phase of the Sengoku period in Japanese history from 1568 to 1600.
This story sound like something that would actually happen irl.

This was the scariest episode by far damn. I actually got chills. I love it.
And I'm still wondering about this spirit in the ED. When will we see them?
EmbientSep 17, 2023 6:00 PM
Sep 17, 2023 10:34 AM
Sep 2021
The creepiness and horror was taken to another whole level and the strength of the spirits have increased even more, let's see how kei and yayoi will overcome this.
Sep 17, 2023 10:46 AM
Nov 2015
Horror was taken to the next level.
Sep 17, 2023 10:47 AM
May 2021
Things getting more dark and intense 🔥🔥
Sep 17, 2023 11:25 AM
Apr 2022
Embient said:
I wonder when will we get a new OP. I really like this one though (the full version especially).

9:18 安土桃山時代 (Azuchi–Momoyama jidai) - The Azuchi–Momoyama period was the final phase of the Sengoku period in Japanese history from 1568 to 1600.

We almost 100% getting it for ep 13. Masayoshi oishi(OxT) has stated on twitter there is one more anime opening that he will be doing in October that is still unannounced. It’s almost certainly hanako kun but it would be awesome to see him do a dark gathering op
Sep 17, 2023 11:28 AM
Oct 2020
Great episode, the horror truly reaches another level so far. The only thing bothers me is why they spend so much time for recap and this ep feels so short.
KhkieSep 17, 2023 11:42 AM
Sep 17, 2023 11:34 AM
Jul 2023
Reply to Embient

@Embient ANN mentioned DG was getting a second ending song, but never stated a second opening a couple weeks ago. Banger episode. Gave me chilling dopamine headaches.
Sep 17, 2023 11:59 AM

Feb 2019
Well considering how we have an entire country to travel collecting ghosts, there was no time to waste getting into the grand tour. First stop, the haunted waterfall.

Can’t decide which was scarier between this episode and Ai’s apartment haunting a few weeks ago. These spirits are definitely showing why they’re S-Ranked and why this is one of the scariest places in Japan. The backstory of the women committing suicide was tragic, and seeing the spirits relive that over and over is some brutal shit.

A few genuine jump scare and unnerving moments in this episode that really made me tense. This show is easily one of the scariest anime ever made. Just constantly keeps you on edge.

Keitaro walking while smiling eerily at Yayoi as he’s trapped in his own mind was really creepy. The graphic images he was exposed to causing him to break down and start crying… can’t blame him at all.

Looking forward to seeing how he and Yayoi get out of this one next week. Looks like there’ll be some backup in the form of an overpowered graduate spirit.

Hopefully we get a new OP soon as well, OxT singer tweeted out that there was a new anime OP for October that they’re working on.. could be hanako or this.
Marinate1016Sep 17, 2023 12:08 PM
Sep 17, 2023 12:00 PM

Oct 2020
This episode was very scary.
Sep 17, 2023 12:06 PM
Jan 2023
Khkie said:
Great episode, the horror truly reaches another level so far. The only thing bothers me is why they spend so much time for recap and this ep feels so short.

It's because of pacing issues. The average episode of an anime adaptation of a manga adapts around 60 pages of content. This episode only adapted one chapter, which is around 45 pages, so the recap is there to stall for time.
Sep 17, 2023 12:08 PM

Jan 2017
Good episode, so far they're doing justice to H Castle Ruins. Only complain I have is that they're showing too much in the previews.
Sep 17, 2023 12:12 PM
Jul 2018
Very creepy episode.

I felt like in some moments some SFX weren't played when they were supposed to.
Sep 17, 2023 12:17 PM
Oct 2020
Reply to InNeedOfAName
Khkie said:

It's because of pacing issues. The average episode of an anime adaptation of a manga adapts around 60 pages of content. This episode only adapted one chapter, which is around 45 pages, so the recap is there to stall for time.
@InNeedOfAName they could adapt 1.5 chapters like last time tho. I think a graduate appearing would be a better cliffhanger but oh well...
Sep 17, 2023 12:22 PM

Jan 2013
If you've played Maiden of Black Water this should look very familiar to you

REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
Sep 17, 2023 12:22 PM
Jan 2023
Khkie said:
@InNeedOfAName they could adapt 1.5 chapters like last time tho. I think a graduate appearing would be a better cliffhanger but oh well...

They probably wanted to focus on the horror this episode. I think a better solution would be to expand on the horror.
Sep 17, 2023 12:32 PM

Jun 2017
Woah they really turned up things, can't wait for next week.
Sep 17, 2023 12:35 PM

Mar 2018
* Keitarou: Ok, I'll notify you if I sense something supernatural.
* Also Keitarou, in a palace he's been told is haunted, for the 99th time: I see some weird shit... Must be imagining things. (5 seconds later) I'm dying, someone help me!

That bit from the first episode may be accurate, this guy must have a death wish at this rate.
Sep 17, 2023 1:40 PM

Apr 2012
horror? really? 11 eps aired and it is not even scary a bit comparing to Higurashi for example, this is more like a comedy-parody to horror. i'm waiting for more, considering DG is 25 eps long, but my hopes are not so high((.
To err is human. To purr is feline (c)
Sep 17, 2023 1:42 PM
Jul 2023
^ Imagine thinking horror needs to be one note where people kill each other in gruesome ways. There is a spectrum of horror.
Sep 17, 2023 1:42 PM

Jan 2017
Reply to sasahara_n
horror? really? 11 eps aired and it is not even scary a bit comparing to Higurashi for example, this is more like a comedy-parody to horror. i'm waiting for more, considering DG is 25 eps long, but my hopes are not so high((.
@sasahara_n Horror is subjective my guy. For example, I don't find Higurashi scary at all, even though there's people who claim that it's terrifying. Plus, the comedy in Higurashi is way more silly/over-exaggerated than in Dark Gathering. I still enjoy Higurashi a lot, but I wouldn't call it scary.
CrimsonTomeSep 17, 2023 1:45 PM
Sep 17, 2023 1:46 PM

May 2020
This was genuinely one of those episodes which could make anyone feel uncomfortable. We saw even Yayoi struggling and getting up back on her feet, so that kind of tells something. 

They made it obvious from the preview that Keitaro and Yayoi would somehow make it through that place in the next episode, though we know it'd be anything but easy. I mean in addition to those spirits who haunted Keitaro, there's that old woman(?) or something they need to avoid running into like a plague.
Sep 17, 2023 1:46 PM

Jun 2015
Dont forget.. I'll carve it into your mind
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Sep 17, 2023 1:48 PM

Jun 2015
Reply to sasahara_n
@sasahara_n Horror is subjective. I just like a good story and this bring the feels.
Sep 17, 2023 2:03 PM
Aug 2020
He broke his promise!
Sep 17, 2023 2:21 PM

Sep 2023
oh man,, im sure yayoi's not actually dead and it was an illusion or something but wow,,, that ending was kinda insane
Sep 17, 2023 2:26 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Roch2001
@sasahara_n Horror is subjective. I just like a good story and this bring the feels.
Roch2001 said:
I just like a good story and this bring the feels.

yeah, that's the point of DG, nothing more).
Sep 17, 2023 2:49 PM

Jun 2015
Reply to sasahara_n
Roch2001 said:
I just like a good story and this bring the feels.

yeah, that's the point of DG, nothing more).
@sasahara_n *nods* love it too
Sep 17, 2023 2:50 PM

Jul 2017
The venture to capture spirits and make Graduates all across Japan, that's a massive undertaking.

Starting off with the unmarked S-rank H castle ruins, which has the probability of being stalked by curses or being stuck there forever. On the way, both Yayoi and Keitaro are met with this old lady, who is part of the scenario proving that they're already in the castle ruins. And with every walk following her, the sense of uneasiness follows, not knowing if they are going to be possessed with a spirit or not. That leads to Yayoi being led away by a spirit mocking Keitaro as he tries to locate her in the field of spirits and gets paralyzed by spirits showing him an illusion. But while the damage is lent to the substitute, Keitaro is not protected at all, and even worse, seeing Yayoi hanged right at the corner of the waterfall where the massacre happened, and that aspect rings true that they still really be stuck in there forever.

What a horrific and uneasy episode to sit through.
Sep 17, 2023 2:57 PM
Jun 2014
Very good episode! Walking into an S tier area where its almost guaranteed to get cursed or trapped forever amps the stakes up a lot. Hyping themselves up before a big mission.

Learning the past and the terrible events that happened and how brutal the deaths were very unsettling.

Getting slowly tricked into separation and mindgames for our mc was rough. I'd hate to get stabbed in the neck.

And with that cliffhanger it looks like It will take at least 1 more eps to try and complete this area.

I do wonder if Mc will be cursed after this and how many will he end up stacking if thats the case.
Sep 17, 2023 3:01 PM
Jun 2014
Reply to sasahara_n
@sasahara_n I seen a lot of horror stuff, this for sure isn't the highest when it comes to it but horror does hit different depending on how people relate to certain events or not. I still say this horror is better than most and the stuff that's suppose to be more on the scary side etc. Doesn't feel like its comedy to me at least. Its been doing fine having that separation. IT would be interesting if t hey could effectively turn a scene that seemed to be comedy into something horrifying though.
Sep 17, 2023 3:11 PM
Mar 2015
Don't forget seems to be the heart of this message
Sep 17, 2023 3:33 PM
Sep 2023
Reply to Embient

Embient said:

That's because it did.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachi%C5%8Dji_Castle
Sep 17, 2023 3:59 PM

Sep 2021
That episode felt like 5 minutes.

Also that freaking jumpscare! I literally jumped up in my chair.

I guess after slowly taking me in, my first horror anime will now show me what the genre is capable of.
Sep 17, 2023 4:00 PM

Apr 2012
ToMuchMayo said:
@sasahara_n I seen a lot of horror stuff, this for sure isn't the highest when it comes to it but horror does hit different depending on how people relate to certain events or not. I still say this horror is better than most and the stuff that's suppose to be more on the scary side etc. Doesn't feel like its comedy to me at least. Its been doing fine having that separation. IT would be interesting if t hey could effectively turn a scene that seemed to be comedy into something horrifying though.

thanks for your comment, i agree almost for all your statements. but for now i feel DG as smth like Gakkougurashi or so - maybe serious, but really not such for now, with some development anticipated.
Sep 17, 2023 4:01 PM

Jan 2021
that granny jumpscare really scared me for a sec . It caught me off guard. 😭
Roxy

Sep 17, 2023 4:39 PM
Jan 2023
Oh damn, this one was good! I love how they took it slow in this one and went really in depth on the story of this place. It really is tragic, just as the granny said.

Those spirits are really proving why this place is S Rank, that granny is bloody terrifying, especially with that damn smile.

For once, they're not invincible just by using another spirit as a barrier, love how the power is scaling just how you would expect it to.

I saw someone mention a new opening, if they do a new one, I do look forward to seeing it, hopefully it is just as good as the first one.

I can't wait until next week, this show really is getting good now, that episode disappeared in what felt like 5 minutes.
Sep 17, 2023 4:42 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Things are getting real spooky now, for the first time it looks like Yayoi and Keitaro have gone in too deep and might have reached a point they can’t return from, because it’s as Yayoi herself said, these S rank haunted spots can trap you there forever. Lots of spooky moments in this one too, I can’t deny the old lady jumpscare caught me off guard lol, and the story of the maidens slitting their own throats as the castle got invaded really added to the horror of this place, it definitely made the part when Keitaro got attacked by those lady ghosts creepier.

And even Yayoi herself got fooled by the fake Keitaro, you’d think she wouldn’t have at this point, even noticing he was acting weird but now she’s hanging from a tree lol, or is she really? It wouldn’t surprise me if that was an illusion made to push Keitaro deeper into despair, seeing him in true fear was upsetting for sure. But damn man, a very nice start to this arc and the overarching arc of going to all the haunted spots, if the spooks keep getting worse or manage to be like this one then I think we’re in for a good time.

Also I see some folks talking about wanting a new OP, personally I think the current one is one of the best OPs of the season so I hope whatever the new one is can be just as good or better than this one, and that mainly depends on if it’s fitting for a horror anime, because the current one really reminds me of old school anime OPs and fits the horror theme nicely.
TheColonel76Sep 17, 2023 4:48 PM
Sep 17, 2023 4:46 PM
Jun 2014
Reply to sasahara_n
ToMuchMayo said:

thanks for your comment, i agree almost for all your statements. but for now i feel DG as smth like Gakkougurashi or so - maybe serious, but really not such for now, with some development anticipated.
@sasahara_n Yea both shows have that contrast of silly humor and scary moments with Moe style characters. I think once The group in DG get into a situation where they don't come out 100% victorious is where the show can truly be taken serious as a horror as its only true horror if bad things happen to important characters that stick for the rest of the series and actually changes them for better or worse.
Sep 17, 2023 4:50 PM
Sep 2022
Peak tier epsiode, freaking creepy as like Junji Ito works. 10/10 episode
Sep 17, 2023 4:55 PM
Aug 2020
another great ep

i was not ready for that
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Sep 17, 2023 5:08 PM

Jan 2017
Reply to ToMuchMayo
@sasahara_n Yea both shows have that contrast of silly humor and scary moments with Moe style characters. I think once The group in DG get into a situation where they don't come out 100% victorious is where the show can truly be taken serious as a horror as its only true horror if bad things happen to important characters that stick for the rest of the series and actually changes them for better or worse.
@ToMuchMayo Wait for the next 2 big arcs.
Sep 17, 2023 6:01 PM
Jun 2014
Reply to CrimsonTome
@ToMuchMayo Wait for the next 2 big arcs.
@CrimsonTome Ill be watching for sure so I'll look forward to the later arcs. Show has been on a solid streak of good eps so far. Hopefully Animation doesn't take a dip which is my only concern.
Sep 17, 2023 6:24 PM
Dec 2020
Reply to Embient

@Embient The car tunnel ghost from episode 7 qualifies as a jumpscare too.
Sep 17, 2023 6:56 PM

Oct 2022
This is crazy psychological horror dome right. Each episode got more horrific.
Sep 17, 2023 7:12 PM

Dec 2022
Whoa for the first time Yayoi-chan got fooled by a ghost.
Sep 17, 2023 7:53 PM

May 2019
Yayoi hanging from the tree is either an illusion or it's her but regardless she's alive as not only did her finger quiver but the next episode preview showed her alive so either way she does recover. I am surprised that she, at least temporarily, got fooled into thinking Keitaro was holding her hand.

Meanwhile, Keitaro has to deal with his own issues and even got his throat partially cut! Damn, sounds like he might be cursed and it also appears that they got in over their heads. It looks like they might use a powerful spirit to help them out and I wonder if Eiko will come out since she was shown briefly checking up on Keitaro.
Sep 17, 2023 8:11 PM

Oct 2022
Her definition of baddies and mine are totally different lmao

The ending finished me. Was that a giant pregnant ghost? What a severe mind fuck.

Sep 17, 2023 8:30 PM

Jun 2021
Very insane and spooky episode. That granny jumpscared me. What a creepy guide really. First time seeing Yayoi got caught by a ghost. It shows how stronger the spirits there are in that place.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dark Gathering Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2023

115 by Muow »»
Sep 17, 3:18 AM

Poll: » Dark Gathering Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2023

69 by Muow »»
Sep 16, 10:07 PM

Poll: » Dark Gathering Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 29, 2023

115 by Muow »»
Sep 15, 4:33 AM

Poll: » Dark Gathering Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2023

75 by Muow »»
Sep 15, 4:10 AM

Poll: » Dark Gathering Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2023

107 by Muow »»
Sep 11, 11:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.