Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2022 10:50 PM

Mar 2016
Writing while listening the ending song, I loved this movie! The art and animation was on point, the music and sound effects were really good, for examples you have the fireworks and river scenes.
As for the story, yeah you can't hide this under the tree, it's pretty similar to A Place Further Than the Universe, anime series also directed by Atsuko Ishizuka, and yet this felt like another emotional trip that makes you go back to your younger days, when you were supposed to live easy, making good memories so you don't have nothing to regret when you became old.
8/10 for me.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Aug 7, 2022 4:17 PM

Aug 2019
It might be clichéd, but it gave a really big Stand by Me vibe; small town, summer holidays, going on a trip to the countryside, the nostalgic feel, etc. I think I prefer Yorimoi, although it's kind of an unfair comparison. Maybe after a second watch I'll reconsider.
Johnny_MelaslavoAug 7, 2022 8:55 PM
Ahora, triste en la pendiente, solitario y ya vencido yo me quiero confesar

Si aquella boca mentía el amor que me ofrecía, por aquellos ojos brujos, yo habría dado siempre más

Sep 16, 2022 3:18 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I watched this in the theaters yesterday, and I quite enjoyed it! At first, I felt like the characters were a bit loud and comical, which I'm not really a fan of (even though I love all three voice actors). The the whole time it was also foreshadowing Drop's death (the trailer did that, too), so I was thinking that I would potentially not feel emotional when it happens. But no, that was not the case. I cried quite a bit in the last 10-15(?) minutes of the movie, particularly when we find out about the call in the telephone booth, and how Rouma and Toto had reached Drop all this time. It was a crazy coincidence, but that coincidence brought them together and it saved Drop, it gave Drop his "treasure." That was such a perfect closure.

There were some really beautiful moments in this movie. I loved the footage through the fireworks taken by the drone. But the best part of the movie was the trip in Iceland, in order to find the golden waterfall and the red phone booth. The scenery was so breathtaking, and the trek through the nature was such a contrast to their adventure to find the drone. Overall, I think it did the theme of "once in a lifetime adventure" very well, even if that adventure wasn't to anywhere far, but just beyond their small town in the wilderness. But the meaning of that adventure was everything to Drop, and during that adventure, Drop made Rouma and Toto see there's a lot more for them in the future, things that they can do now, beauty in things they didn't see before. The ending made the movie a worthwhile watch, it was really inspirational.

Also, Fujisawa Yoshiaki's work on the soundtrack fit so well with the movie. My favorites being Ireland and the theme song.
Sep 20, 2022 7:42 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
That ending phone booth twist was soooooooo good.

I didnt enjoy the middle portion that much and had to look away few times because it was getting too scuffed but otherwise it was an enjoyable movie. Although not that original on the writing front.

6/10, i enjoyed my time!!
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Sep 20, 2022 8:09 PM

Jan 2022

Watched without any expectations aside that it shared the same director as A Place Further than the Universe and I really liked it. It's a simple premise that was executed very well.
Sep 20, 2022 9:44 PM

Nov 2021
It was enjoyable, and it may be unfair to compare it to Yorimoi but I much preferred Yorimoi to this movie. I didn't feel as attached to the characters, but the plot twist was pretty great and unexpected.
Nov 29, 2022 10:19 PM

Aug 2017
Broski I had no idea what was going on half the time but I cried. It was good, wow. Very pretty
Nov 29, 2022 10:34 PM

Feb 2014
With the Don Glees title, I thought it would be some spanish revolution thing. It turned out to be the revitalization of youths and their dreams. That ending had me go back in in a time paradox. The call was a helpline to people who lost their way only to find it in someone else's journey.
Cheers to the friends we made along the way.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Nov 30, 2022 4:59 AM

Jul 2020
A really fantastic movie. I went in with no expectations and overall had a great time. it chronicled the joy and wonder of youth really well and their adventure in the forest was so fun, whimsical and emotional. The twist at the end felt like an especially strong pay off, with the sudden death and phone booth revelation tying everything together and making their journey feel truly complete.
Dec 2, 2022 7:13 PM
May 2020
This movie was amazing! The characters were very enjoyable and it was such a fun ride until the ending rollercoaster. 10/10 would recommend. I need more animes like this with fun characters just doing fun and dumb things
Dec 4, 2022 9:21 AM

Sep 2020
Can someone explain the ending please? I didn't really understand what happened, like... did he die or what?
Also, I don't know if I got it right but, did they call that phone by accident and he was there to answer?
Dec 26, 2022 11:40 AM

Apr 2013
Good movie, not great though. It tried so hard to be deep in its dialogues that story suffered during the middle. I enjoyed visuals a lot as well as actors performances.
Jan 3, 2023 2:06 PM

Sep 2007
Am I the only one who thought this film was terrible? Went in with no expectations but the knowledge that I usually like these kind of films and I thought it was one of the most emotionally hollow anime I've seen.

It just drops you in the middle of the story with no build up of the friendships that are meant to drive the film, we don't even see how Drop joined the group. They just keep telling how how good friends they are while spouting philosophical thoughts about the meaning of life. Nothing really felt true to me and the constant musical montages (I feel like there were at least six) just felt like a cheap way to get an emotional reaction out of the audience because the story couldn't do it on its own.

Has anyone seen Summer Ghost? It was released the same year and I feel like it explored similar themes that this film tries to in a much more successful way.
Jan 4, 2023 3:25 PM

Sep 2009
Alematt288 said:
Can someone explain the ending please? I didn't really understand what happened, like... did he die or what?
Also, I don't know if I got it right but, did they call that phone by accident and he was there to answer?
Yes and yes.

Watched the movie today and I liked it. Of course it cannot be compared to YoriMoi as it is just a 98 minutes movie so the plot and character development had to be more condenced but it was still quite good. I really hope Atsuko Ishizuka will make something new worthwhile soon.
Jan 7, 2023 5:37 AM
Sep 2017
Tried to watch it but couldn't find anywhere with properly translated English subtitles.
Jan 9, 2023 6:18 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I'm very mixed on this. There's lots of parts I really like and I want to enjoy this friendship and adventure because the characters really do have striking chemistry but I admit, the start kind of just drops you face first with no real build up. Plus the whole reason for the adventure is well, lame? I feel like it would've been good enough just for them to go to find a done them spent a fuck ton of money on but instead they go to prove their innocence of a fire they didn't even seem to reasonably cause???

Them going to Iceland at the end is interesting but I do think Drop's entire "dying" hints and deep philosophy feels a bit hand fisted in a lot of spots.

It was easier to watch this in English this first time then Japanese so I'll have to rewatch in Japanese to feel more of the emotional catarhsis. Benefit of the doubt I'll give it a 7 for now but it's closer to a 6 honestly. At least the film is stunning, some of the landscape shots really made me whelm up with emotion (when they found the drone and the waterfall in Iceland).
Jan 11, 2023 2:17 AM

Aug 2020
I really loved the movie , the animation or visuals were really so great and those backgrounds scenery are damn incredible and music and sound effects too are amazing.
Since it by sora yori team especially ishizuka sensei, this movie really bring back the nostalgia of that show that how amazing a short adventure can be with your freinds, from start to end it was just a vibe really had me in the ending where they added a twist. I want more madhouse original projects like this.
Jan 13, 2023 8:04 PM
Sep 2021
Made me cry at the end. Really good movie. This movie taught me to treasure my youth and dreams and how coincidences can lead to friendship.
Jan 29, 2023 8:21 PM

Feb 2021
It was quite boring at first then it become interesting when they are searching for the treasure :)
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jan 30, 2023 8:26 AM

Oct 2017
That last twist got me good, that was well done. Otherwise a pretty fun movie overall, got emotional at the end. Was a fun watch.
Feb 13, 2023 11:19 AM
Oct 2019
truly amaze balls
Mar 29, 2023 12:16 PM

Feb 2020
Good film about friendship, The plot reveal at the end was pretty good. But the film was too vague/glossed over things most times like the drop's condition and how the drop was able to come to japan to be friends with them or the family repercussion when they were missing for 2 days. Some parts like them traveling across the globe alone at a such young age were pretty weird to digest. (should have done that part in the adult version instead)
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Apr 8, 2023 4:33 AM
Apr 2022
It's really good. The ending brought me tears
Apr 10, 2023 7:02 AM

Oct 2022
exceptional and heart-melting
"All things, be they divine or mortal, find their ultimate end. 
                      It is not a harsh punishment, but a merciful pardon."

Apr 22, 2023 7:14 AM
Feb 2018
Watch it PEOPLE, IT'S GREAT
May 6, 2023 7:33 PM

Sep 2020
Good enough. I haven't seen Stand By Me (though I know about it) or A Place Further Than the Universe so I can't say how it compares, but this had a nice roadtrip / Goonies feel. When they came out dressed as girls and when the bear spray blew back onto them were some of the funniest things I ever seen! And that phone twist was great, I had to go back and replay what they said.

But like others have already said, it gets dragged down by so many critical omissions to the story, primarily regarding Drop. I got the friendship between Roma and Toto, but Drop was literally dropped into it without any introduction, so I really didn't care about him. Add in the lack of details about his illness and the fact he died offscreen meant there was no emotional attachment or impact to him whatsoever other than "Oh, he finally died...too bad." Why was he wandering alone in Iceland in the first place, and how/why did he make it to Japan?

I also feel that the forest adventure went on too long, they could've added some other scenes of the trio doing other stuff to give them some much needed history. No more musical interludes though, those felt too unnecessary after the 1st one or 2.

Then there were the issues of the forest fire basically being completely brushed off (was the cause even revealed? I don't remember it) and the idea of the 2 going to Iceland for no legitimate reason (their families didn't appear to be wealthy enough so I wouldn't feel a personal quest would qualify, and I doubt selling their hair made much of a difference).

Despite all that, it was enjoyable so 8/10.
SlammyHammyMay 6, 2023 7:42 PM
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
May 18, 2023 11:29 AM

Feb 2019
This is sooo goood!!! I'm almost crying ♥
Jun 24, 2023 1:04 AM
Mar 2021
Aug 2, 2023 8:30 PM
Jan 2021
I somehow liked and got impressed by this movie. The best aspect of it was the sceneries and the ED song. In terms of story, I am expecting more but it should be enough for me. I am glad that Madhouse is now back producing anime movies.
7.5/10
Sep 30, 2023 3:51 PM

Feb 2017
rare instance where i read the synopsis before watching. synopsis definitely doesn't do this movie justice. i wanted to get this off my ptw list, which is more of the reason i watched it. that synopsis doesn't do anything for me; if i happened to be a person who always read synopses before deciding whether to watch something, i wouldn't have touched this. i'm pretty glad i gave this a shot anyways because there were a few really good scenes.

the scene at the end, of course, was incredibly moving. when the realization hit me, i actually gasped. it's unfortunate we didn't have more of a fleshed out backstory for drop, but i understand there's only so much you can do in a 1.5 hour long movie

placeholder text
Nov 1, 2023 1:39 AM

Oct 2018
Surprisingly well-written and competently produced or maybe not surprisingly, since Ishizuka excellently handled her part of Aoi Bungaku. It would have been better if we got a bit more on Drop, but not much you can do with the runtime.
Dec 1, 2023 6:19 AM

Apr 2020
Good movie. But I wish it wasn't so rushed.
Madhouse still showing it's one of the best studios ever.
7/10.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A

More topics from this board

» HYPE!!!

ClickBaitBuster - Jul 2, 2021

27 by raff-rafflesia »»
Jul 2, 2022 9:28 AM

» Coming to theaters in Spain this July 15!

JohanJ04 - Jun 15, 2022

0 by JohanJ04 »»
Jun 15, 2022 12:59 PM

» Coming to theaters in Mexico and Latin America this July 21!

JohanJ04 - Jun 13, 2022

2 by JohanJ04 »»
Jun 15, 2022 11:24 AM

» Opening 15 minutes released

Etherius_ZS - Feb 25, 2022

0 by Etherius_ZS »»
Feb 25, 2022 8:01 AM

» Will this movie get a US release?

johneaston - Feb 19, 2022

0 by johneaston »»
Feb 19, 2022 4:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.