Forum Settings
Forums

Does MAL have a system protecting the number 1 anime?

New
Oct 12, 2022 7:29 PM
Feb 2017
Here is how it always goes:

New anime overtakes #1 -> new anime falls below #1 score by 0.01-0.03 -> rinse and repeat

Doesn’t this seem kind of fishy? Especially with the scores sometimes just freezing up for multiple days (it happened with Kaguya-sama S3), I believe there is a system in place that prevents shows from taking over the #1 spot for so long. This has happened with every single show that has taken #1 in the past few years; Kaguya, AoT, Bleach, Gintama, etc.

Thoughts? (Also this might be bordering the rules, but this question has always bothered me and it’s less so about the score of the show and more so about how the system works).
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Oct 12, 2022 7:32 PM

Mar 2018
Shows always fall after they air because people always overrate them early. FMAB has been going down for a while now so Steel Ball Run can finally defeat it when it airs
Sometimes you just want to hear anime girls squeak and squeal
Oct 12, 2022 7:48 PM

Mar 2019
It has the FMAB Defense Force protecting it!
Oct 12, 2022 7:52 PM

Apr 2015
Not that I care about score, but the new Bleach already has 1,900 votes for 1 score, take that as you will.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Oct 12, 2022 8:04 PM

Apr 2020
Not so much a system protecting it, but circumstances.

No matter what FMAB defenders claim, there WAS score manipulation (mass votings, artificial or not) before to ensure the series place. People still do this, but nowadays there is a system in place to prevent this from escalating any further. Alas, the damage is already done.
You can think about it like how Steam has recently revised it's policies so it won't ban certain visual novels, but is not going to do anything about the ones it's already banned.

Now, regarding current series, some people get a bit too eager when scoring early on, so you should really just wait until the anime's final episode to see the actual score. A lot of watchers do wait until the end to score.
Oct 12, 2022 8:07 PM

Jun 2017
It all makes sense if you think of it as FMAB having plot armor.

Oct 12, 2022 8:10 PM

Feb 2021
It was obvious from the start that the Bleach score would fall with time, because that happens with LITERALLY EVERY ANIME, this doesn't even have to do with bot accounts.
Oct 12, 2022 8:11 PM

Oct 2013
To be fair, something shouldn't shoot right to the top and stay there after just one episode. That being said I will continue poking fun at any fan still obsessed with keeping that #1 spot for all these years. It's been since 2009, let that shit go.
FanofActionOct 12, 2022 8:18 PM
Oct 12, 2022 8:13 PM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
Two things.

1. A high initial score that is naturally short lived. The only time you can expect an anime's score to go up after its initial peak is when it ends. It's all downhill from there.
2. Vote manipulation. The system MAL has now is pretty good at removing scores from accounts created just to give FMAB a 10 and the next show a 1, but it can't really do anything about legitimate normal users that want to do that.
Oct 12, 2022 8:18 PM

Sep 2020
I think it was a little bit comical the way the Bleach scores just started falling. I think it was 9.27 and then in one day it has fallen by a lot. This didn't happen with Kaguya S3. You begin to wonder if the anime that do reduce in ratings at a fast rate is more of a case of fans overhyping it to shreds than it actually being that good.

Say what you want about FMAB but it is a damn good show and it can't be a coincidence or some black magic that it has been able to retain this #1 spot on MAL.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Oct 12, 2022 8:29 PM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
samsince04 said:
Say what you want about FMAB but it is a damn good show and it can't be a coincidence or some black magic that it has been able to retain this #1 spot on MAL.

Well no one said it was coincidence. We all know how it's stayed there.
Oct 12, 2022 8:54 PM

Dec 2012
Nah, it's just careful, heavily obsessive vote brigading. FMAB was 9.25 when I joined MAL and was at 9.23 even in December 2020. It only started going down in earnest once AoT Final Season began airing & everyone started noticing what was really going on with the top scores.
Oct 12, 2022 9:03 PM

Sep 2010
I know it's bait but if you are really interested just click on the stats page of Bleach TYBW and compare the percentages of 1 and 10 to any other anime that started airing this season that isn't in the top 10.
Oct 12, 2022 9:03 PM
Jan 2022
samsince04 said:
I think it was a little bit comical the way the Bleach scores just started falling. I think it was 9.27 and then in one day it has fallen by a lot. This didn't happen with Kaguya S3. You begin to wonder if the anime that do reduce in ratings at a fast rate is more of a case of fans overhyping it to shreds than it actually being that good.

Say what you want about Bleach, but it is a damn good show and it can't be a coincidence or some black magic that as soon as CSM premiers, its score falls from 9.25 to where it's currently at within the span of a few hours. Of course, I'm not attributing this (statistically obvious) foul play to just CGIsaw fans, when jealous kneejerkers and FMA shills were out in full force since the very beginning of its premier a full day earlier and which CSM fell victim to in its premier as well.

And in all honestly, Bleach would've maintained the rating it eclipsed FMAB a single episode with for far longer than the moe romcom currently at #3 managed to scrape past FMAB for #1, since like I said, it only started rapidly declining in score after another massive force of hype unleashed a day later. Factor in the probability of its rating taking positive spikes because of highlights in the anime (which there are many in this cour and in the future ones) that either elevate its initial score or restore any negligible decreases in rating that were initially occuring with Bleach and it only makes it more obvious.
Oct 12, 2022 9:21 PM

Sep 2019
MadanielFL said:
It was obvious from the start that the Bleach score would fall with time, because that happens with LITERALLY EVERY ANIME, this doesn't even have to do with bot accounts.
they fall but not by that much. They fall slowly. Not in big nombers like bleech fell. Soon top scores of Mal will be 9.10 or below which in past used to be above that.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Oct 12, 2022 9:41 PM

Dec 2015
Maybe never was interested in this but just simply check the member count for fmab and other titles like if they would gather together and wished to rate a single anime with 1/10 massivly it is obvious what will happen.

I just like the fact that it was quite poetic as Tite Kubo likes that the most dropped anime in MAL and one of the most hated anime in a speed of the single Shuunpo claimed Number One place in the Twitter and Mal ratings place, especially that the main theme is called Number One x). I guess people who were spamming about something being dead had been already proofed that they wasted time on hating for last 10 years.
Oct 12, 2022 9:48 PM

Feb 2019
MegaStride said:
Here is how it always goes:

New anime overtakes #1 -> new anime falls below #1 score by 0.01-0.03 -> rinse and repeat

Doesn’t this seem kind of fishy? Especially with the scores sometimes just freezing up for multiple days (it happened with Kaguya-sama S3), I believe there is a system in place that prevents shows from taking over the #1 spot for so long. This has happened with every single show that has taken #1 in the past few years; Kaguya, AoT, Bleach, Gintama, etc.

It's called "Hype dying down" it'll always happen no matter what series is at 1st, even if it wasn't fmab

『ᴅᴇᴍᴏɴ-ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴊᴜᴅɢᴇ ᴏꜰ ꜰɪʀᴇ』

Then her jaw slackened as she muttered out.
[I... am the bi◼️?]

☽ † ☾
- ᴅᴇʟɪᴠᴇʀɪᴇꜱ
- ꜱɪɢ ᴍᴀᴅᴇ ʙʏ ʜᴜᴍᴀɴᴛᴡɪɢ

Oct 12, 2022 9:53 PM
Jan 2022
Zettaiken said:
I just like the fact that it was quite poetic as Tite Kubo likes that the most dropped anime in MAL and one of the most hated anime in a speed of the single Shuunpo claimed Number One place in the Twitter and Mal ratings place, especially that the main theme is called Number One x). I guess people who were spamming about something being dead had been already proofed that they wasted time on hating for last 10 years.

It's #1 on IMDb as well with 9.7 stars lol. And the original anime used to be #1 most popular on here in the 2000s if you check the internet archives.
Oct 12, 2022 9:55 PM

Apr 2019
Why would someone protect #1 anime in the list? it's not how democracy works... r-right ?
Oct 12, 2022 9:55 PM

May 2021
Zekkenshin said:
Nah, it's just careful, heavily obsessive vote brigading. FMAB was 9.25 when I joined MAL and was at 9.23 even in December 2020. It only started going down in earnest once AoT Final Season began airing & everyone started noticing what was really going on with the top scores.
It started long before that agaisnt HxH and some other shows along the way but the clash with S3 P2 of AOT made it extremely obvious and then it happened multiple times in a short span of time.

-FALSE said:
samsince04 said:

Say what you want about Bleach, but it is a damn good show and it can't be a coincidence or some black magic that as soon as CSM premiers, its score falls from 9.25 to where it's currently at within the span of a few hours. Of course, I'm not attributing this (statistically obvious) foul play to just CGIsaw fans, when jealous kneejerkers and FMA shills were out in full force since the very beginning of its premier a full day earlier and which CSM fell victim to in its premier as well.

And in all honestly, Bleach would've maintained the rating it eclipsed FMAB a single episode with for far longer than the moe romcom currently at #3 managed to scrape past FMAB for #1, since like I said, it only started rapidly declining in score after another massive force of hype unleashed a day later. Factor in the probability of its rating taking positive spikes because of highlights in the anime (which there are many in this cour and in the future ones) that either elevate its initial score or restore any negligible decreases in rating that were initially occuring with Bleach and it only makes it more obvious.

You are a right, considering sequel bias and that most likely not too much newer anime fans are getting into Bleach, it's mostly the old followers who are watching it and add to that they really liked the 1st episode, the rating of Bleach should had been stable until a new episode release, dropping around 0.20 points after 3 days of the episode release is an obvious downvoting, I willnt say it's only FMAB, CSM most likely participated there too.

-FALSE said:
Zekkenshin said:

I do find it amusing how FMAB's score decreases every time a shitflinging contest initiates almost every season when something crosses it. It already went down from 9.13 to 9.12 in a day despite having one of the largest score stats on the site because it had a threeway against two massively hyped shounen. At this rate, no anime on MAL will be above a 9.00 rating within the next couple years lol.

Indeed, 4-5 more rivaling animes for the N1 spot and FMAB will drop below 9.08, after that point holding N1 will be incredible hard even with downvoting.
Oct 12, 2022 9:57 PM

Dec 2015
-FALSE said:
It's #1 on IMDb as well with 9.7 stars lol. And the original anime used to be #1 most popular on here in the 2000s if you check the internet archives.

Oh that's nice to know.
I was never checking it as I never felt an urge to check the archives of activity here before, the only thing I do know but didn't experience it as I was not using such social media's is the fact that when the Ulquiorra vs Ichigo fight came out the final one with Ressureccion it broke the Twitter Servers? Not completely sure that's just the stuff I've overheard so might be wrong.

Oct 12, 2022 11:39 PM
• Mafumafu Fan •

Apr 2018
Thread locked for not encouraging discussion.

Anime Discussion Rules: 2.e Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage meaningful and/or civil discussion. Examples include:
e. MAL community data
e.g. Questioning the score/ranking/character favorite counts
e.g. Saying that series X should have a higher/lower score/count
e.g. Specific reviews, moderation of data/community content/reviews, etc.
Concerns about the website should be reported using the appropriate buttons or designated MyAnimeList boards.

You may also use this thread if you want to talk about overrated/underrated anime. MAL has implemented a new system to take care of boosting/downvoting accounts automatically. You can read more about it here. You do not have to worry about the score being influenced by them. If it is influenced, it will be fixed after a few days.

AMQ: StephWeeb
Discord: drsteph
Join me on AnimeMusicQuiz!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» What's an anime you like but would probably never try to show someone to get them into anime?

MeanMrMusician - 59 minutes ago

5 by pk8list »»
11 minutes ago

» What is the best anime cheering ever?

SgtBateMan - 1 hour ago

3 by Azuchi »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Would/Do you go to Anime Conventions?

Dragevard - Oct 15, 2021

46 by Zarutaku »»
29 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you sacrifice the rest of your life if you could spend one year with your favorite character?

Shizuna - Yesterday

29 by traed »»
36 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby?

Anjuro - Yesterday

40 by Dumb »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.