Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 »
Jul 29, 2020 4:36 AM

Nov 2018
Where's the kiss?Need 2 season. They are so much into each other and still only blushing.
I hate everyone equally
Aug 8, 2020 11:44 PM

Sep 2018
That was very good, especially the latter half of the series. It was a bit of a slow burn for me in the beginning, even though I was still enjoying the show. Lovely abstract animation they had going on to compliment the dialogue. A touch too one dimensional, wished they had branched out a little more outside of all the school mystery stuff. 8/10.
Aug 28, 2020 5:58 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Overall a really beautiful anime especially thanks to the animation and OST, the characters were cute and endearing (especially Oreki and Chitanda obviously) and the "soft" mystery part was quite great to laid-back.. 8/10
Aug 30, 2020 7:33 AM

Jul 2020
Shit, I know this is not a romance anime but I am still hoping at least at the end Houtarou and Chitanda will be romantically involved. That words after “by the way” get my hopes high!! I want to think that they both like each other (there are hints in past episodes) so hopefully if there will be another season or in LN they will end up together!!!

But it’s been 8 years now and no news about S2?! WTH
SoraaaxiiAug 30, 2020 7:39 AM
Sep 23, 2020 6:34 AM

Jun 2020
cinematic as always, beautiful ending! the OST was simply perfect, their ending scene was so lovely, they are made for each other, just listen to the way they communicate, they are endgame fo sure, no one else can get them like they get each other♡♡ i loved the scenery at that scene, it was so stunning, yet their attention is solely on each other. the juxtaposition of the imagery of the overwhelming sakuras with oreki’s “energy-saving” self was great, he has come a long way. and i’m sure chitanda and her curious self had a huge role in that ;)

by the way, that konari character was so hot

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Oct 22, 2020 1:39 PM

May 2017
Way better than My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU. At least this club visibly accomplished things and no stupid love triangle. Definitely left open the possibility of a sequel, though not necessary as my imagination already has Oreki & Chitanda married happily.
Nov 2, 2020 8:43 PM

Mar 2020
The festival arc really had me curious. That last scene is breathtaking. Kyoto did a really good job animating this!
Nov 4, 2020 11:39 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Wow so yeah, they’re just going to leave it at that, just leaving us with that ending right there. Not TERRIBLE by any means, just, that’s it? Ok then, mystery of the week style anime was nice I guess, but I’m just left with a feeling of MEH in my mouth

NYANPASU
5700XT

Dec 12, 2020 2:38 PM
Feb 2017
8/10 series. I cut 2 because of the drama, I don't like it but it objectively wasn't good.
Everything other than drama was perfect. Especially the visuals are masterpiece, I love KyoAni. Gotta read the rest of the story.
Jan 16, 2021 10:41 AM

Aug 2019
Kind of a weird ending to say the least. It's clear the MCs had feelings for one another and yet they don't do anything remotely romantic. The ending itself was touching I guess, but I would have liked something that felt more like a final episode. Overall I thought this show was alright. The animation was gorgeous, the directing was pretty good I guess, and the characters were likeable. Unfortunately, the plot falls flat and a lot of the story feels very forced and comes across as dull. If I were to rate it, I'd probably give it a 6/10.
Jan 18, 2021 3:32 AM
Nov 2020
Man, first I gotta paise you for that amazing explanation!
It was soo great. You pointed out all the things nicely. it was detailed... I noticed a few things after reading it which I didn't in the first time ...
About the episode, I really like it. Eru looked beautiful in it. oreki x eru moments were cute too. I think they live together in the future? Is it mentioned in the novel/manga? is the ship canon?
about satoshi x Ibara, I am glad things got normal among them. I hope satoshi changes his mind and try to understand Ibara's love for him and accepts it
I think the show is good this way. No need for a second season. They might just ruin it >>

Feb 8, 2021 9:33 PM

Jan 2016
Wanted a little bit more out of the finale but I guess this is what we get. I’m dumb so I still don’t get the premise of the whole show. It was leading up to something and just didn’t figure out what it wanted to be. With that said, I’d give the artwork 10/10 and the whole show a 7/10.

Feb 10, 2021 9:28 AM

Feb 2019
That was beautiful, yet sad. I don't know how Satoshi and Mayaka ended up and it's frustrating... her answer "not bad" was pretty vague.

I guess Eru and Hotaro are going on different paths. I hope that's not the case. I hope they go on the same path... why didn't you just say it, Hotaro?

Now I'm really curious about the ending. I just read that this covers up until volume 4 of the novels. Guess I have to read the novels! I'm dying to know the ending. 私、気になります!

8/10. Great series. Loved it more than I thought I would after watching the first few episodes. Need more of this gang: Hotaro, Eru, Mayaka, Satoshi.
Feb 17, 2021 10:39 AM

Dec 2018
idk how I'll deal with this end for while, I mean, it was just too good and now is complete, now we just make our own path for this and deal with and that's it, just a happy sadness.

btw anyone notice the author's play with the season's at the the end?
Mar 8, 2021 4:56 AM

Feb 2012
I don't think Hotaro could have said the thing about taking care of the business side in that situation. I haven't seen many marriage proposals in anime, but generally they seem to have a different form in Japan. Instead of asking "Will you marry me" they may find an indirect way to propose that they join their lives together. So the reason Hotaro didn't say anything was that it would have sounded too much like a proposal, which wasn't appropriate considering they're still in high school and not even dating.

The significance of that scene was that Hotaro clearly admits his own feelings now and also acknowledges Eru's feelings. Just before that she was also saying things indirectly, talking about how she'll have to return after studies: "This is my place...I don't think that this place is the most beautiful... I also don't think this place is full of potential, but I wanted you to see it". I think this meant that she doesn't hold herself in high esteem, but wants Hotaro to be there to see her.

Hotaro's imagined scene and his question about whether this is how Satoshi felt indicates that he understood her but doesn't know how to express his feelings. So he just comments that it's getting cold, and Eru in turn responds with a smile that no, it's spring now. Which perhaps means that it's the spring of their love, it'll be getting warmer, and she knows how he feels even if he can't currently say it.

So there was no kiss, nor other grand romantic gestures, but I think the romance is still heavily implied, much like in the rest of the series, which makes the ending satisfying on that front. Because of all the indirect expressions I believe the Japanese audience might have seen it even more clearly to be romantic.
Mar 20, 2021 4:21 PM

Oct 2020
Code0018 said:
whelp that was the end of that. Overall, yeh Hyouka was an ok watch. Definitely a bit rough around the edges but then again nothing is perfect, ending wise i honestly felt so mixed about.
Story wise, it was pretty straight forward. We have 200IQ Hachiman Oreki Houtarou that has a chilled layed back life (something i honestly wish i had as well lol) until he meets Eru Chitanda a very curious, kawaii, maybe slightly over the top but also extremely rich and clever girl who almost quite literally flips his world upside down. Chitanda almost infectious love of mystery and solving them was a massive positive effect on Oreki and really opened him up as a person.
Overall the story was very very interesting in terms that it wasn't the usual SOL anime. The anime itself focused on the Mystery genre, executing it extremely well. The mystery, how they start, how Oreki examines it, then solving it and the ending result all felt extremely well down. The mystery themselves were very very well designed, they could be as simple as an announcement or an old memory of something, but the journey we then go on crunching theories, the "who what when where why's", why this dosen't work compared to that really brought you in as a viewer in my opinion and had me also trying to solve the mystery at the end. All the end results of the mystery's had me satisfied, i didn't dislike any of the results and most off the time was like "ahhhhhh it was (or because of) 'x' now it all makes sense". The way they actually present the mystery's with the animations that varied between paper origami to simple stick men figures was so, simplistic but so well detailed and designed and helped to explain the mystery in so much further detail.
One weak point i will say is the SOL romance and every day life aspect, felt quite dry. We never saw the characters beyond the school, maybe a few times at Chitanda's house and at the shrine but that was about it. Although it's not mandatory to have the characters have a group shopping day or movie day it did feel like it was something fundamentally missing from this anime (still mad we never saw the party they through for solving the Hyouka case). The romance was, there. We see no official love relationships between couples but is constantly hinted at. One thing i will say about this anime's execution of romance was, did we reaaaaallllly need an entire episode dedicated to Satoshi and Mayaka's relationship that we all know is a thing but they decided to then complicated it for 25 minutes and then loop to were they started at the end, making me even more confused on what there deal is? Honestly a Chitanda and Oreki relationship dedicated episode would of been 100x better in my opinion, not because i prefer them more, but because then we could of really seen how much of of Oreki has changed since meeting Chitanda in episode 1.
It was obvious Kyoto wanted to make this a very mystery focused anime, which in my opinion affected its ending quite a lot as it felt like Kyoto forgot that the basis for this anime was a SLICE OF LIFE ANIME. The starting point, the building blocks of this anime was from SOL genre yet that ending felt more like a "shit, we are at the end and can't think of any more plots for another mystery to end this anime, ah but we're already balls deep in the genre! Quick lets try to 'slice of life' it for the end, wait how do we do that again? isn't this is a mystery anime? uhhh i know, second shrine scene! And lets skip almost all the scenery and make the camera effects look like our guy is on LSD and drunk while having a stroke and finally make the ending really abrupt by giving the views false hope they'll see a massive relationship build between Oreki and Chitanda!"
all in all, Hyouka truly is a different anime but i feel like it sometimes has an identity crisis and forgets a thing or two. But the mystery genre this anime did, did in my opinion out way most of the bad.
Considering the series began in 2001. It's impressive how Oreki came out 10 years before Hikigaya , there weren't many characters like that back then from my knowledge , the whole sharp loner or lazy guy started coming later
Apr 5, 2021 1:18 PM
Jul 2020
what a great symbolism at the end: they both are walking towards the pink side of the sky, because slowly Chitanda is bringing colour in the life of Oreki
Apr 15, 2021 9:11 AM

Jun 2020
Oreki traveled far away to the venue seems to say he didn't miss this out

I must say Oreki was so distracted and Curious now about what Eru looks like and Satoshi and Mayaka was there too

I thought it was a somewhat confession at the end there missed chance by Oreki

All in all a wonderful mystery series this was I enjoyed it so much as well I like the change of pace on how characters build-up or how they can think from every situation Oreki and Eru included, Release the 2nd season now It's been years since this gem was premiered

Watashi Kininari Masu
May 13, 2021 11:57 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Man, it’s been over 3-4 yrs but the ending still stings. Houtarou, don’t chicken out at the last moment xD. At least this confirms a thing or two. But, it’s not enough...

In any case, this has been a great revisiting! I’ve been meaning to do this for a while now since the series is available on Muse Asia YT but well, I’m finally here.

Houtaru and Hachiman built up my teen persona in many ways lol so it was kind of nostalgic to go through some of those monologues and have a good and genuine laugh.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jun 18, 2021 3:35 PM

Jun 2019
My 110th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it an 8/10 rating.
Jun 25, 2021 4:37 PM

Jun 2020
dissapointing. Amazing anime but i really was not satisfied with this ending
Aug 29, 2021 5:47 PM
Mar 2018
The first series I've finished on my own accord since the beginning of 2021.

What a heartwarming episode. The colors in the end when Chitanda and Oreki were together made the ending genuinely satisfying.

Thought this would be an emotional rollercoaster, but the mood and tone of this anime are very lax and mellow. Even though some of the parts of the series were slow, it was definitely something I was able to watch rather than something super intense.

Glad I came back to finish it rather than leaving it in my "on-hold" library. 9/10

Oct 24, 2021 12:27 PM

Apr 2018
I rewatched it after many years.
Even better than I remembered.
Nov 25, 2021 1:04 AM

Feb 2020
I've seen people being disappointed with this ending, but I actually thinkthis was a very good way to end the show. It's never had a complicated plot, nor did it have any romance (at least not as a main point). Making the show end with Oreki starting to consider his feelings for Chitanda while still being the Oreki we know makes total sense for me.

Now, for the show as a whole. It had its ups and down. I liked all the episode that didn't seem like filler, so the uncle arc, the movie arc, the festival arc, and the last two episodes. The conclusion to the mystery wasn't always very satisfying but the mystery itself was still engaging enough, the atmosphere was great, it was fun, and these episodes proved that the characters are surprisingly multi-faceted.

But the other episodes weren't all that good and I even got very bored at times. The only "filler" episode which I truly enjoyed was the one about the teacher and the helicopter, I found the atmosphere to be particularly relaxing and the story was touching, especially due to the development it provided to Oreki.
The rest was... Meh. I mean, the problem is that the mysteries weren't interesting to start with so I didn't even bother trying to seek for an answer (special mention to that whole thing about the teacher who made a mistake and Chitanda practically ordering Oreki to tell her why she got angry). In the end that wouldn't be that much of a problem if the characters were charismatic enough to truly entertain me by their simple presence, but I didn't think they're were. They were endearing, for sure, but they weren't particularly interesting to follow, so while I found them to be fun and interesting during the arcs I previously mentionned, that wasn't the case when not much happened (though I still enjoyed Oreki's sarcastic remarks).
The best example I can use regarding that is episode 19, the premise in itself was pretty great and something I really could've enjoyed a lot, but in the end I got bored because it was missing the little something that could've made it truly exciting.

So I give it a 6(.5)/10, it could've been a 7 if every episode was like the movie arc for example.

Oh, and I forgot to mention one thing, which is that the ost was pretty great ! It really gave that "mystery" kind of feel.
Dec 19, 2021 10:17 PM
Nov 2017
the 22 episode romcom with absolutely 0 romantic development
Jan 6, 2022 1:22 PM

Jul 2020
Ded5 said:
the 22 episode romcom with absolutely 0 romantic development

Hyouka is not categorized as a romance, there is no love story to be told. You could imply that certain moments have a romantic feel. Like how the ending's intense background of pink gives a representation that Chitanda has made life more lively for Hotarou.

Again you arguing about no romantic development is like arguing that gundam sucks because you hate robots or something.
Jan 7, 2022 4:50 PM

Jul 2021
They could have made a much better final episode... I'm very disappointed, however, the anime was cool.
8/10
asdasdsadad
May 22, 2022 9:24 AM

Apr 2020
I expected better from an anime that pops out of people's mouths to this day.
It was still a good watch. 7/10
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Aug 31, 2022 1:23 AM
May 2019
It definitely wasn't the best ending, but I expected that. But it wasn't bad for sure
Sep 3, 2022 10:08 AM
Jul 2020
Me encantó este capitulo :3
Sep 11, 2022 4:19 AM

Aug 2014
Loved the ending!! Such a warm and nice vibe. I definitely will miss Houtarou messy hair and Chitanda's sparkling eyes after this
Check My AnimeList (or click my signature)
My Main Genres: Adventure, Action, Fantasy
My Sub Genres: Slice of Life, Comedy, H&E

Check My Profile, my ranking
What I Watch This Season
Best Character & WAIFU This Season
Best OP/ED Song This Season
Sep 24, 2022 8:14 AM
Dec 2021
great anime loved it
Sep 24, 2022 2:10 PM

Jul 2022
I loved the little detective cases and the story overall. of course I hope that they ended up together when they grew up and Houtarou took care of her business :).
it is a lovely, charming and chill anime. the animation is beautiful, the characters charming. some of the cases were better, others less, but if you are looking for something light, I´d recommend giving it a chance.
I was ashamed of myself when I realized life was a costume party, and I attended with my real face. - franz kafka

Sep 24, 2022 3:23 PM
May 2019
It is a very banger episode
Oct 9, 2022 11:58 AM

Aug 2021
decent ending i suppose
Nov 18, 2022 8:10 PM
Nov 2022
dead poets society for weebs
Dec 9, 2022 5:47 PM

Mar 2019
No no no, it ended way too normal for a final episode, this can't be it, there has to be something going on!

I'm not a fan of the romance that's building up and this sudden problem for Chitanda feels too weird. We never got a single hint about this, but now it seems like she's obligated to take over after his father. It's too sudden. Fuyumi saying that was amazing, telling Oreki why she manipulated him. Also we don't know for certain what answer Satoshi gave to Mayaka.

After the festival arc, things got pretty weird and it didn't make a lot of sense. But I know I loved Oreki a lot in every episode. I'm still waiting for the other 3 to apologize for what they did with that movie!

Overall, it was nice, loved the beginning, but the drama was a bit annoying, especially the Mayaka one and the arcs just didn't feel completed. I wouldn't mind a season 2 but I'm scared we'll get a lot of drama and romance, however if it's about Fuyumi then I don't mind!
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Jan 16, 2023 7:00 AM
Aug 2022
Didn't understand much properly but still liked it
Jan 21, 2023 7:05 PM
Jul 2020
idc what they think about this anime, i like this show so much
Mar 4, 2023 7:15 AM

Jan 2020
Would be great if they work on their feelings for each other as the last mystery... 
Mar 6, 2023 9:19 PM

Feb 2021
The ending was very good but man I wish those romantic words at the end... Also, I know it was not explicitly stated and most people seem to not think so but I do think Satoshi and Fukube were together or at least very close to being so at the end. Since there doesn't sense to be a continuation of Hyouka the reason as to why that conclusion can be inferred for a few reasons. One was how Fukube said he would make his decision very soon at the end of the previous episode and proceeded to call Ibara... It could be inferred in either two ways one, he called to explain the feelings he had for her, or second, maybe he did realize his feelings after talking to Houtarou and finally changed and evolved to ask her out or give her a chance. I think the main evidence comes through during this episode. It starts out with a decent time gap to Spring which is the Japanese school semester as well as a new life of love as mentioned in other posts. Both the times Houtarou discovered Ibara and Fukube they were together and in the last part, he asked her (At least according to the English Sub) "How's it been ever sense?" which infers a change. It could be reckoned that this was in the context of their friendship, but it at least seems much more likely here that they were talking about the start of something, and in this case, it seems more like a relationship... They also seemed a bit close in antagonizing Houtarou which although they have done prior, here means a bit more as it shows some bit of togetherness in the last panel they were shown in the anime for at least Fukube... A few other clues in just the way they act and how Fukube who usually doesn't tell anyone what about Houtarou's feelings, was open to her about it. As well as the way she smiled inferring it was a good thing to happen, leads me to believe they are dating or at least have some type of feelings for one another~
Mar 10, 2023 5:44 PM
Aug 2016
such a cute and comfy anime!
Apr 5, 2023 7:35 PM
Apr 2021
To be honest I am so disappointed with the ending of hyouka I really want eru to confess her feelings to houtarou but she didn't also that scene in the cherry blossom tree is the perfect place for confessing love because Sakura means new beginnings
Apr 20, 2023 8:01 AM
Jan 2021
cdfghjyhtgfrgtyhjkyhtrtyjukjuytrghjkjhygfghg
Jun 29, 2023 7:37 AM
Jan 2022
AAAAAAA I NEED THE NEXT EPISODE THAT SOLID THEIR LIFE AFTER GRADUATION!!
Jul 16, 2023 11:40 AM
Jan 2022
this is masterpiece
Jul 19, 2023 8:53 AM

Jan 2013
No matter how small, you can make a difference in someone's life.
Houtarou's life become really rosy when he made new friends, went out of his comfortable "gray" zone and started exerting energy instead of conserving it.

At the same time it's also about not being something / someone you don't want to be or think you should be, Chitanda for example seemingly living a "rosy" life wanting the former choice out of the two she presented, the one that's more like living a gray life.
Whereas Houtarou finally realizes the opposite, he was wearing rose tinted glasses during his walk with Chitanda, walked under the cherry blossom tree and could only think of her, in that way we've seen the two become complete opposites of who they showed themselves to be at the start.

And of course the same goes for Satoshi and how he always wanted to be #1 and then realizing he enjoyed life more when he accepted he couldn't always be that person, which is also why he had trouble accepting Mayaka but I'm fairly sure he's working that out after his conversation with Houtarou as Satoshi and Mayaka seem to be on good terms.

Just fantastic story telling, a lot of genuine funny moments and just a heartwarming story. (oh and the mysteries were really fun to follow too)
PrOxAntoDec 16, 2023 4:00 PM
Aug 13, 2023 3:42 PM
Jul 2017
final em aberto, anime de detetive
Aug 28, 2023 10:56 PM
Dec 2022
it should have had a more completing feel to it ig
Pages (13) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2012

268 by KuroNeko318 »»
Jun 8, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Apr 29, 2012

377 by sahzzy_sama »»
May 23, 1:41 AM

» No romance here

YuniVT - Mar 10

26 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 28, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

185 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

266 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.