Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 12, 2022 10:46 AM

Jul 2019
I remember reading some review (didn't finish it) some time ago and one of the things that got this user disappointed in the anime was annoying characters. Thought to myself in this large medium with actual annoying characters, as in characters portrayed as being people you'd want to die the moment they try some "funny" shit, is it actually a bad thing for there to be annoying characters? The same applies to dumb characters.

I don't find anything inherently wrong with it. It ruins the enjoyment, but that is not true for everyone. What are your thoughts? Maybe I am missing something.
May 12, 2022 10:58 AM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
I don't think I find any characters annoying enough to ruin a show on their own.

Even the worst main characters need to be in a show where I already find nothing else of value for me to consider it bad.
May 12, 2022 11:06 AM

Aug 2018
It depends. Yui from K-On and Fuko from Clannad are both dumb and annoying. Sometimes, at least. I like them in spite of it because they're also funny, cute and charming. Fuko so easily falls for all of Tomoya's pranks and it's funny when she tries to act like she's the smartest person in the room. Yui acts like a giant spoiled baby sometimes and without constant pressure would fail all of her school work but it's so easy to understand why her sister and friends coddle her behavior.

On the other hand we have guys like Ginrou from Dr. Stone:

Just look at him. He's always like this. I hate him. I hate him so much.

Now, you might be saying: "I see how it is. Only annoying girl characters get a pass. You MISOGYNIST!" But lets not forget: the most annoying, stupid, boring anime character ever to exist...fucking Mimori. She's useless to story, doesn't help advance it in any meaningful way. Her motivations for being there are dumb. Her voice is irritating and she just robs valuable screen-time from other, better characters. She almost ruined the show. It'd be an easy 10/10 for me without her in it.
May 12, 2022 11:07 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
Think Subaru from Re;zero fits the description quite well.
I still can't find a good reason why he even is in that show since he basically does nothing except crying, whining or dying.
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
May 12, 2022 11:07 AM

Jul 2021
Yes, characters like that can ruin shows on their own.
Hoping that the protagonist gets School days'd is not good, when the author actually intended them as a likeable.
May 12, 2022 11:09 AM

Apr 2018
The "dumb/annoying" character as defined and described by you I have no problem with inherently. In fact, if done right, they can be quite entertaining especially for comedic relief. Alternatively, when I think of "dumb/annoying" characters, my first thought are those characters who are behaving quite seriously but as if they had a functional lobotomy and none of their actions, motives, or behaviors make rational sense or are especially grating. Those are the kinds of characters that get me to lower my score of an anime by several points if the issue is pervasive.
May 12, 2022 11:12 AM

Jul 2021
Azuchi said:
Think Subaru from Re;zero fits the description quite well.
I still can't find a good reason why he even is in that show since he basically does nothing except crying, whining or dying.

Well, Re:Zero is full of characters who don't do anything.
Almost nobody has any idea what's going on...
Only Echidna was the only likeable character.

And another very popular show where the characters are totally useless:
Made in Abyss.
The protagonists ruin the show on their own already, but the supporting cast of characters only had 1 rational thought in the entire first season too...
May 12, 2022 11:14 AM
Feb 2021
Dumb character? Thinks of Luffy...
May 12, 2022 11:16 AM

Nov 2019
if they back up with proper explanation and reasoning, then why not? Else, just stop reading that shit.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

May 12, 2022 11:17 AM

Feb 2014
Yes, dumb/annoying/whiny characters can ruin a show especially if they are a vital part of it. NGE characters fit these roles
flaxman85 said:
slice of life = slice of waste my fucking time

brb grown ass men getting a hard on watching little pubescent girls playing music al instrument or doing random shit in school

wtf is this shit

fuckthisgayearth.gif
May 12, 2022 11:22 AM
Mar 2021
Yea Zenitsu from demon slayer needs to sleep permanently
May 12, 2022 11:23 AM

Jul 2020
No. Ex: Mako, Yui, Atsuko, Antony Silva, Mari or Minori, they aren´t bad... wait, Antony Silva was really bad, but not the rest
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Check my latest web novel on Our Greatest Comeback🦊⛩️ and please drop a like or comment if you liked it!
May 12, 2022 11:24 AM
Nov 2019
negative traits, much like other dark-themed stuff, have always been a good way through which you can explore a particular character. as such you can make your character a total sociopath and build a personality around it. but, "annoying" is not a character trait, if being annoying is all the character ever does then yes; they are in fact a badly written character
May 12, 2022 11:25 AM

Sep 2020
If they decrease my enjoyment on a show then yes.
May 12, 2022 11:48 AM

Jan 2022
It is fine if a character is irritating to other characters because that can be fun and helps to break tension and add humor. But the moment they start irritating the audience it’s gone too far. Good writing knows how to toe this line.
-insert NGE meme here-
May 12, 2022 11:57 AM

Feb 2019
Dumb characters =/= bad character but an annoying character can be bad.
May 12, 2022 12:05 PM

Aug 2016
good character = dumb/annoying character I like
bad character = dumb/annoying character I dislike
:v
May 12, 2022 12:21 PM

May 2016
Yes absolutely 100%.
I dropped demon slayer because of that blonde fucker.
Done it before as well.
May 12, 2022 12:34 PM

Jun 2017
No. Intelligence is overrated anyway. Go Knuckleheads.

May 12, 2022 12:41 PM

Oct 2018
The universal answer fits here

It depends on how dumb or annoying they are and how those characters are used in the story.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
May 12, 2022 12:52 PM
Aug 2021
If the dumb or annoying character is Yuno Gasai then it’s definitely bad.
May 12, 2022 1:07 PM
Mar 2021
I mean, some people aren't able to tell between when a character is supposed to be that way and when something went horribly wrong in writing or in other aspects that created a bad character.

I try to make a distinction, and there's ways of determining how the author/writer wants you to see the character. In anime there's music and shot framing that does a lot of the work. If a character is supposed to be cute, they'll be framed that way, and there will be cute music. If they're...not that charming, it creates a clash. However, if the music is 'clown music' that is, the kind of music that's played when there's a dumbass onscreen being a dumbass, then their behavior is intentionally written that way. Pay attention to music, and also to how the character is framed to get context clues about how you're supposed to see them. If that clashes with how they actually come off, you've got a bad character. If it doesn't, it's just an irritating character.

I genuinely don't know what to think about Zenitsu though, incredibly confusing character. Are we supposed to find his schtick endearing? I guess? A lot of people do, though, which is very confusing and makes me truly understand how unknowable and baffling other people are. There truly is no accounting for taste.
May 12, 2022 1:07 PM

Aug 2018
Not necessarily...Luffy and Usopp are examples of a dumb and an annoying characters but both are good at their roles .

Characters like Zenitsu are very annoying and dumb to me, but I can't call it a bad character since there's no much info about him(I only watch the anime) and he does a good job supporting the MC

Being annoying/dumb doesn't make a character bad, doing a bad job at the role they have in the story does...this is why Sakura sucks even after she became strong(Sasori arc)
May 12, 2022 1:14 PM

Feb 2020
Toshino Kyouko/Yui Hirasawa. They are my favorite dumb/annoying characters of all time.
May 12, 2022 1:22 PM
Mar 2021
I think dumb characters are a problem when the plot is badly affected by their stupid decisions, and the story is delayed or hindered by these. Then, they are bad characters.
May 12, 2022 2:15 PM

Jul 2020
I feel like there's a distinction between A) 'dumb/annoying because it contradicts/interferes with story/overall tone/plot progression (or because it ignores previously established story foundations/build-up),' and B) 'dumb/annoying because the viewer cannot handle a certain type of character being used in a certain way, irrespective of their overall contribution to the story.' Obviously there's some overlap in these two very arbitrary categories that I just set up.

To further divide the latter distinction: 1) a character that (supposedly) uses cheap tricks and laughs as attempted comedy, 2) a character that overuses cheap tropes and clichés that the viewer is already aware of, and thus lacks in originality and/or storytelling tact (which may or may not be for comedy), and 3) a character archetype/several personality traits that the viewer simply cannot stand (the most susceptible to variances in taste).

NextUniverse said:
is it actually a bad thing for there to be annoying characters?

This heavily depends on the tone of the show in question, and exactly what 'annoying' means.

- What I find personally annoying specifically in comedy shows, is that some characters exist mainly for the purpose of creating new problems that the other characters must resolve, and said resolution is both the plot point of the show (or just limited to some episodes) and where the comedy comes from. Some of the characters in this category have been incredibly annoying to me, but at the same time without their mishaps the entire show risks becoming monotonous and uneventful: I've decided to just accept this as a necessary evil. Of course I'd prefer that I wouldn't have to deal with this necessary evil at all, and have the characters having a role to fulfill other than to be the troll that causes havoc, but not every show can satisfy this condition, and I'm not sure that I'd want every show to be this way.

- In predominantly non-comedic shows where characters are 'annoying' to provide some levity to the show, a lot depends on when, how & how long the joke is delivered, and whether the show can seamlessly transition from said comedic scene to a 'serious' scene. This is pretty damn subjective, so I won't elaborate further.

For most non-comedic cases, though, I think most characters can be justified as a portrayal of fictional characters being subjected to unrealistic cases, as long as they're supported by good writing.

Man, writing this wall of text made me realize why people might not like some of my favorite anime. Thanks OP, I guess?

TL;DR, characters are dumb/annoying when the writing/comedic delivery is poor.
BurningCarnationMay 12, 2022 2:18 PM
May 12, 2022 2:16 PM

Dec 2019
I think that if a character is annoying or dumb but for a reason or if they are of any importance (play a role in the story, plot, or progression and development of another character or world etc.) then it's fine. So basically, if they provide anything of value or influence the show in any meaningful way, they have more depth to them then just having annoying/dumb traits, and are written decently.
May 12, 2022 2:40 PM

Jul 2017
Hmm, I would say not always. Some characters are purposely written to be dumb/annoying for the sake of the story, or for the sake of having other characters progress or develop. Many viewers might detest these dumb/annoying characters, but they still played their roles in the stories quite successfully. Some characters are also dumb/annoying in like a “younger sibling/cousin” kind of way.
May 12, 2022 2:53 PM

Feb 2021
If I find them annoying I don't care if they're "objectively" well written or not. It affects my enjoyment
May 12, 2022 5:46 PM

Jul 2017
unless you're trying to do a character analysis on them, then sure a character you found dumb/annoying can be considered a bad character on a personal level

i found everyone in nichijou and asobi asobase to be annoying in a bad way, so i personally found them to be bad characters. That doesn't mean I think everyone should hate them or smth
May 12, 2022 6:32 PM

Dec 2021
not necessarily, idm dumb/annoying characters unless they have a purpose as to why they act this way. otherwise, if it was someone like zenitsu then i'd think they are horribly written
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
May 12, 2022 7:58 PM

Jan 2018
you know how bitter flavor is the usual for medicine that cures, I guess a sprinkle of annoyance is acceptable in anime depending on how author handles it.

people often mention zenitsu which I find to be not annoying at all unless if I wear earphones I guess.
May 12, 2022 10:43 PM

Jul 2021
Not exactly, but they are not a pleasure to see on screen.

More topics from this board

» Best girl from Ecchi anime

Catalano - 1 hour ago

13 by Daviljoe193 »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Is reviving characters poor writing?

rohan121 - May 29

47 by jellylo »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » I'm just better- The anime [NO SPOILERS]

TsutanaiFuun - Yesterday

9 by DarkShame2 »»
10 minutes ago

» Hottest Adult Characters in anime?

RedTea33 - May 27

34 by jellylo »»
17 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby? ( 1 2 )

Anjuro - Jun 3

96 by Anjuro »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.