Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Oct 14, 2021 3:53 AM
Jul 2019
I'm surprised that some ppl are still confused it was romantic???
Oct 14, 2021 7:58 PM
Jul 2018
Can we all agree the first half of this movie is straight up recap?
Oct 15, 2021 7:19 PM

Feb 2019
9/10.

Wow. Not a perfect ending, but acceptable. I'm honestly shocked that the series is over all ready. It was a good wrap up for the entire anime.

The animation and art style were amazing ofc, but the story was very cliche. I mean VERY.

I also personally hate the concept of aging and the future where Violet and the Major are dead is very annoying to me.

But I don't regret watching this, maybe action anime are more my type of thing than these emotional ones.
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Oct 16, 2021 12:58 PM

Jul 2019
Not much to say other than it was beautiful. The series as a whole was about Violet's growth as a character and here the movie pretty much concludes that. This is one of their best series and I look forward to future projects.
Oct 17, 2021 7:44 AM

Mar 2021
damn i didn't thought it'll be this good, 9/10

waiting for the bd was rly rly worth it
Oct 17, 2021 8:22 AM

Apr 2015
What a emotional drain movie, really more than 2 hours with almost no stop crying. My disappoint is no one gave a good punch in Gilbert face what a asshole to make Violet surfer.

I think it's a perfect end for the story, but I am still disappoint the way they handle the main series compare to the original novel.

Gave 10/10 because it really deserves. I love all the visuals and stories that came from it.
Oct 17, 2021 9:20 PM
🦆👑

Jan 2020
I watched it with family and that was the only thing stopping me from crying lots to the Yuris scene. That really hurt :(

I don't like the fake out death stuff no matter what the series is but I thought this was cool and seeing Gilbert and Violet together was emotional

And as expected, animation was breathtaking. Thank you kyoani

Oct 18, 2021 2:19 AM

May 2020
Sticky_Rice said:
The only issue I had with the film was how ham-fisted and on the nose Gilbert’s reasoning for leaving Violet was. It suffered with the show-don’t-tell syndrome, where Gilbert explains why he left Violet, but we the audience was not presented enough to justify his reason. We were made to assume his position without the film fully exploring the extent of his regret. As a result, I felt the film’s emotional scenes did not have enough impact. It feels out of nowhere.

It’s a shame too, because everything else worked wonderfully. The two subplots excellently complements the main plot. The plot that took place in the future shows the extent of Violet’s actions. The plot with the sick kid, though forced on the surface, was, in closer examination, a great tie back to Violet’s longing for the major. He represents the ramifications of not going what you desire. The regret you have and the pain you cause to others by staying complacent will be far worst than confronting the issue head-on, even if both parties may not like it at first. It’s about taking opportunities while you still can, lest you want death to be your calling to fix broken wounds.

The world-building in the beginning caught us to speed in where we are in relation to the series. The amount that has changed is too many to list (e.g. technology and the characters), but the way KyoAni eases the audience into this new world really made it smooth and enjoyable for me.

The confrontations with Violet and Gilbert are highlights of the films to be sure. The voice acting at the final scene was superb. Her struggle to let out the series’ signature line made the scene so captivating and jaw-dropping. The emotions conveyed in her struggle and silence is nothing short of incredible, and I salute the film for presenting it in such an amazing way.

I can go on and on with the film’s themes, character relationship, and other minute tidbits that really made this film great, but, with those said, I feel the overall film is stunted with the criticism I mentioned in the beginning. I could not get as emotionally invested because I felt Gilbert’s rationale was underdeveloped, in-your-face, and handed-to. I wished the film gave us more justification so I can empathize with Gilbert. He felt unreasonably cold at times. What made Violet Evergarden a masterpiece was its emotional complexity, so having this half-assed silver platter dumbed the experience for me and definitely made my viewership worst. If KyoAni spent a little more time justifying Gilbert’s stayed departure, then I would, no doubt, gave this a prestigious score.

For now, it sits in a humble 8/10. Everything was amazing, but I felt the film lacked an extra touch that severely affected its watchability.

we live in a world where this guy gave no game no life, a borderline incest anime with no actual ending, a higher score huh
Oct 18, 2021 8:05 AM
Dec 2017
Oh my God the movie made me cry like a little kid😭10/10
Oct 19, 2021 8:23 PM

May 2020
In the end, looking back it seems pointless that they introduced so many characters into the show (and Violet's life), just for them to be discarded in an instant and given no conclusion. Thats the only thing keeping me from giving this a 10/10, personally.
Oct 20, 2021 4:49 AM

Jan 2021
Damn, I dont have words-

It was 👍
Oct 20, 2021 8:24 AM
May 2020
i am fucking sad i want to see those two together more
Oct 21, 2021 6:11 PM

Aug 2016
Starting a movie by reminding you episode 10 of the show... that just low, perfect hit to underbelly, that makes sure you gonna be emotional for the rest of the movie. You don't even mind that they basically reused same plot for half of the story. I cried. I love it. Goodbye, Violet Evergarden. Thank you.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 22, 2021 4:33 AM
Jul 2018
This was more melodramatic than a bodice-ripper from the 90s. Without the bodice-ripping.
Oct 22, 2021 6:05 AM

May 2020
I came for an emotional conclusion. I left with feels, tears, and emptiness.
The whole thing with Violet and Gilbert in the second half was great and emotional.

And the animation and ost were very brilliant. (Just look at the grass and water, it's so gorgeous)
10/10

P.S. I honestly don't care how melodramatic it is, (this also applies to much other anime), I'll most likely just eat it up anyway, that or I don't care, idk.
PokeProXOct 22, 2021 6:12 AM
Oct 22, 2021 7:46 PM

Apr 2016
Whelp...I never thought my heart could be stomped on more times in one sitting...but here I am

Stomp

Stomp

Stomp

I need a box of tissues!

Awesome flick. The animation was so magnificent.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 22, 2021 8:19 PM

Aug 2011
Kyoani are gods of art/animation... simply stunning.

That being said, I'm not going to lie - I did not emotionally connect with the main plot of Gilbert being a melodramatic bitch boy and it being a long drawn out battle for him to come to his senses. I'm happy for Violet getting a happy ending but it seemed like she also reverted in character development like many other have pointed out already. I felt a lot more strongly with the mini-plot about the sick boy and his interactions with Violet to be honest.

I watched "Eternity and the Auto Memory Doll" a couple days before this and liked it overall more than this.
Oct 22, 2021 8:30 PM

Apr 2016
theblur said:
Kyoani are gods of art/animation... simply stunning.

That being said, I'm not going to lie - I did not emotionally connect with the main plot of Gilbert being a melodramatic bitch boy and it being a long drawn out battle for him to come to his senses. I'm happy for Violet getting a happy ending but it seemed like she also reverted in character development like many other have pointed out already. I felt a lot more strongly with the mini-plot about the sick boy and his interactions with Violet to be honest.

I watched "Eternity and the Auto Memory Doll" a couple days before this and liked it overall more than this.

You bring up an interesting point about Violet's reversion. But she did walk away on her own and wrote that letter saying thank you to Gilbert for all he did. She was ready to move on. Her leaping off the boat was a bit much...but that's just our Violet.

In Gilbert's defense he was still getting through what he did during the war. That is something all soldiers struggle with. As did Violet. Even she showed some PTSD when she attacked the Captain when it looked he was a threat.

I also agree that "Eternity" was Violet at her strongest emotionally.
Oct 23, 2021 4:11 AM

Oct 2016
They really started the movie with episode 10 stuff, damn they're brutal. I really liked the parts with Daisy, episode 10 was truly a legendary episode.

My God, the Yuris parts was extremely sad, especially when he passed. Letters really do be an effective tear-jerker.

The scene that probably got me first was when Hodgins shouted at Gilbert and called him an idiot. The build up to it was just really great.

An absolutely beautiful movie and ending to the Violet Evergarden series. I honestly can't find any faults with the movie, everything about it was perfect. Wouldn't have minded seeing a little bit of Violet and Gilbert's life together though. 10/10
Oct 23, 2021 7:40 AM

Apr 2016
sKyBlazer08 said:
They really started the movie with episode 10 stuff, damn they're brutal. I really liked the parts with Daisy, episode 10 was truly a legendary episode.

My God, the Yuris parts was extremely sad, especially when he passed. Letters really do be an effective tear-jerker.

The scene that probably got me first was when Hodgins shouted at Gilbert and called him an idiot. The build up to it was just really great.

An absolutely beautiful movie and ending to the Violet Evergarden series. I honestly can't find any faults with the movie, everything about it was perfect. Wouldn't have minded seeing a little bit of Violet and Gilbert's life together though. 10/10

Violet and Gilbert's life will be in Season 2...hopefully. :D
Oct 23, 2021 11:12 AM
Feb 2021
Cried so much I’ve got a headache
Oct 23, 2021 2:06 PM

Jul 2009
Finished watching this in BD!

One of the best movies of all time! T____T

I highly suggest everyone watching the movie (as long as you also watch the TV-OVA-Gaiden) since there's a lot of reference to those all throughout.

What a way to end the franchise! I haven't cried this much since FFX's Ending.

Yui Ishikawa's performance is perfection. She IS VIOLET EVERGARDEN!

kyoani truly one of the best Anime studios ever. RIP to employees who pass away in the fire incident. I hope everyone one of you will be able to see the movie somewhere in the afterlife.

Anyone know which volume of Light Novel takes place after the movie? I want to read and see what happens.

10/10

Oct 23, 2021 3:53 PM

Mar 2017
I liked the first half of the movie. Their age difference still bothers me, so the romantic love is off putting. I’m wondering why certain aspects from the LN
Oct 24, 2021 8:30 AM

May 2015
Yuris story hit me harder than Violet.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Oct 24, 2021 11:06 PM

Mar 2019
Easy 10/10...

But still..... the "Anne" Episode (series)... leads everything... that episode was 11/10.
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Oct 25, 2021 4:38 AM

Nov 2018
Excellent movie! Deservedly the best way to send VE off, finally got around to watching it now that it's available online. This is probably Kyoani at their best. The art and animation was 11/10 as well.

9/10, just short of a 10/10 but great nonetheless.
So I've been banned from MAL-Badges, after spending nearly two years of my time and dedication to helping out, being the club's spokesperson, and planning for the revamp, it all goes down the fucking drain. What a joke the club has become. I advise everyone to stop using the feature and stop showing their support for the site and the club. We were promised that we will see changes come to the site, and nothing's been done for the past year. I doubt the site will be touched for the foreseeable future. If you're angry and annoyed about the lack of development, then good, you should be.
Oct 25, 2021 6:47 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Violet Evergarden is like a very tasty looking cake that makes you drool when you look at it, but when you taste it, it tastes like a plain bread.

Nothing much to say about the franchise. Everything about the franchise screams mediocrity. One of the bland-est shows I've ever watched for sure
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Oct 26, 2021 12:28 AM

Jul 2016
First things first, I was never a fan of the Violet x Gilbert pairing and the same goes for the revelation of Gilbert somehow surviving the siege at the castle.
Ironically, the main plot-line regarding Violet reuniting with Gilbert was easily the weakest part of this movie. Gilbert's reasoning for not wanting to see Violet felt forced and unnecessarily melodramatic and personally speaking, the outcome with him changing his mind at last second and Violet backtracking in her intention of finally moving on left a really bad taste in my mouth. I mean, Violet Evergarden's main message was always about dealing with tragedy and learning how to overcome it yet the main heroine never does that? I don't know... it really feels like Violet kinda reverted in her character development to me.

Overall, it was still a nice movie tho... but mostly because of Yuris side-plot. Yeah, they practically re-used the narrative from Episode 10 and made it extra dramatic but what can I say? I'm weak to stories regarding sick children and all things considered, I think its execution was actually nicely handled here. It was quite moving, honestly.

7,5/10 -> 7/10 - By the way, the bits with Hodgins having to give up on his pseudo-father role with Violet, the constant relevance of evolving technologies in the story and Dietfried receiving more characterization were aspects I also really liked.
Oct 30, 2021 9:23 AM

Dec 2010
Well this was certainly quite exceptionally melodramatic. But the entire series was like that so no surprises there. I wasn't too much of a fan of the flash forward parts, since it felt like they just reused the same old shtick as they did with Ann.
I also wouldn't have refused a bit more focus on Gilbert and Violets relationship after they reunited, instead of having that be relegated to bonus illustrations/posters. They could have easily scrapped the part with Yurith to make room for that. Speaking of which, 2 and a half hours was simply too long. They stretched out the story too much, especially with the flashbacks.
I'm still giving it a 9/10 because of the beautiful animation. I wouldn't say no to another short spin-off/sequel though.
Oct 31, 2021 6:30 AM

Feb 2019
Great visuals and animation at always from Violet Evergarden anime.

It's a bit slow at times tho, overall good movie.
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Oct 31, 2021 10:37 AM

Feb 2014
I loved the TV series but I am disappointing in general with this movie.

Gilbert was just a coward in the end.

Your usual "I don´t deserve you" but prefers to flee from his emotions and hurt even more those who are clearly fond of him (Violet in the case).

Now that it was confirmed that he was alive and having in mind how I wanted Violet to be happy, at least he decided to chase after her in the last minutes, that made things better yet very convenient for him: he flees when he feels like and go back when it was a convenient time to do so. It was not even shown if he ever bothered to look for Violet.

There´s also the conflict between Violet development throughout the series and what happens in this movie.

There are also reused scenes from TV series.

The ending was underwhelming.

--

PS: Don´t take me wrong, this is just my opinion. It´s nice many have enjoyed. I wish I could have enjoyed it as much.

TechOtakuOct 31, 2021 11:30 AM
Oct 31, 2021 10:47 PM

Oct 2018
This movie was... awful.
I loved the TV series but the movie was just nothing special. The deus ex machina and the reasoning of Gilbert, not wanting to see Violet felt cheap and forced. The first half was good but the main character development that grew on Violet from the TV series was just tossed out in the window. The proper send off was just right but they should probably leave Gilbert dead. Idk if I feel regret for buying the ultimate BluRay box but thanks for the merchs, I guess? Disappointing movie after I expecting too much for this.

2/10 for the movie, 7/10 for the whole series.

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Nov 1, 2021 2:16 AM
Sep 2020
I can't describe the journey this story takes you on from start to finish this entire series and movies must be watched by anyone with a heart.. just watch it.. if only for the beautiful visuals and music alone I'd give this a 10 out of 10. It helped me through hard times in life when I needed it so maybe I'm biased but it truly in my humble opinion is a masterpiece.
Nov 6, 2021 9:05 AM

Sep 2013
Kinda underwhelming, to say the least. The story of Yuris boy actually made me feel emotional more than the main plot of Violet & Gilbert.
Nov 10, 2021 10:06 AM

Aug 2020
I do have to say that I expected way too much from this movie haha. Visuals are great as expected of Kyoani. Music is good too.

Loved Iris's hair.

Movie felt slow at times and there were alot of callbacks to previous events.

Now for the actual events of the movie. Yuris's story actually got me. That was damn sad. Not as impactful as the famous episode 10 but it hit similarly.

I'm not sure how to feel about the relationship between Violet and Gilbert. I've always just seen them as like a father and daughter relationship but im not really bothered by their love. I'm not at all invested in Gilbert because I barely know him. All I know is that he was kind to Violet during the war but not much about who he is, how he thinks or anything like that. I honestly thought he's a bit hopeless with not even contacting headquarters. So it didn't impact me as much as I thought when we got that reunion at the end.

Somehow I feel empty yet satisfied at the same time. I am glad for it to have a good ending.

I always thought the main theme of Violet Evergarden was about moving on from your past and living your life in the present. To do what you can for yourself and for others. I thought the vague status of Gilbert was just there for us to know that none of it matters or something melancholic like that. Maybe this movie changes that. Ultimately, I think this is still the same story of Violet Evergarden and her coming of age.

I still think the main series is a absolute masterpiece and this just gives us a conclusion as it wraps up the story.

7/10

It's over now huh...
Nov 14, 2021 10:11 AM

Dec 2012
When I heard that despite the tragedy, KyoAni can and will release this movie, I immediately thought that the 10/10s will come, even if the end product will be mediocre.
Luckily, the movie was good, the animation was great. Not the miracle most people anticipated but I can at least recommend it to anybody who liked the series.
I bump my overall score to 8/10 to say thank you for KyoAni for bringing us the conclusion.
Nov 17, 2021 3:41 PM
Daydreamer

Mar 2020
In one word... "utsukushii". 10/10
Nov 18, 2021 4:13 AM
Sep 2019
This movie is a great final to this masterpiece: happiness, sadness and melancholy.
Nov 21, 2021 1:27 PM
Apr 2021
I know everyone loves the movie and so do I for the most part, but honestly I got a little disappointed at the end :((. But I just wanted to say that this is just my opinion :DD

Nov 21, 2021 11:38 PM

May 2020
Well, that was.. alright I guess. Watching this movie just confirmed to me that while Violet Evergarden looks incredible, that quality is not reflected in its writing or story.

Nevertheless, this one did manage to get a reaction out of me, Yuris's story (even though it's been done before, as the movie reminds us several times) and the sentimental romantic in me will always be moved by cliche romantic developments, even if they are between a grown adult man and (as the series never stops reminding us) a teenage girl.
Nov 23, 2021 8:47 AM
Jul 2019
Eh and I can't believe she still introduces Ann, but I'm curious who delivered her letters to the last. 😭💙
But now we find out more about Violet, and how some are still looking for dolls on their day off, but don't tell me that blue-haired guy is Gilbert for shooting me. 😳🍡 I expected this boy to have some serious illness that would affect his health, but he is still sad when you hear all this news. 😕💔 It seems that he returns the bow back to Violet and invites her on his father's ship and presents them from his past with his brother's. Still, he shows us someone with blue hair again, and I don't know why, but it looks like Gilbert's sheep. 😳🤚🏻
Nov 23, 2021 8:55 AM

May 2018
Wonderful animation by KyoAni!

Violet finally meets Gilbert.

Also, the dead kid story must have been a separate story.

8/10 for me.
Dec 2, 2021 2:16 PM

Aug 2019
Just finished watching it. Every frame was a masterpiece!!!
I was constantly amazed how good the cinematography was, they put a lot of thought into making every scene and perfectly captured the moment.
Dec 3, 2021 9:27 AM

Jun 2020
Beautifully executed by KyoAni as usual. Such a stunning film. There were definitely some issues I had with it but I’m so glad it was a happy ending. Yuris and even Dietfried really made me cry like a baby. I dunno what I’m talking about I literally cried from the start to the end

I know many brush Violet Evergarden off as just a tearjerker but the characters & stories are close to my heart♡

And I’m going to miss Benedict ಥ﹏ಥಥ﹏ಥ

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Dec 9, 2021 1:54 PM
Jul 2016
great movie. though I think the story veered a little too much into trying to add depth into the plot, I still rate it highly overall. VA's and OST were great, the animation excellent, the lead up to a conclusion, pretty mehh but not close to atrocious. still enjoyed it overall.
Dec 16, 2021 8:51 PM
Aug 2021
Another masterpiece, just like the main series.

How the story opened with Ann's grand daughter was a thing of genius. Not only because it recaps to that beautiful episode from the main series, but also because it connects so many characters at once and immediately makes you feel the pain. After all, Ann, who we saw as a child and growing up, was gone already. A harsh reality that everybody dies sometimes, right at the start. The movie did not waste time and I’m glad it didn’t.

The newly introduced character midway through the movie, Yuris, and his story were also truly sad but beautiful in the same way pretty much every story in this series. It's really incredible what the author has done with so many characters getting fleshed out over small periods of time.

Then there’s the ending. I loved hearing how when Violet moved to the Island, she took over the post office there. And that, even though Dolls slowly became obsolete, Violet remained sought after until the very end, with it even being mentioned that she had the most letters requested and sent out of all the Dolls.

This was another 10/10, though it could've been a 9/10 as well. But with the beautiful animation, soundtrack and world they've built, it felt deserving of a 10 in the end. The only reason for that hesitation was Gilbert, of course, which is why I didn't mention him before. The way he was portrayed here didn't sit quite right with me. However, Violet got what she had yearned for years and throughout the series, they really developed her character in such a good way. I know it's a happy ending for a happy ending's sake, not necessarily because it fits the series, but it was heartwarming to see Violet so happy. Deservedly so, I’d say.

This series is so much more than simple thug at the heartstrings like some say it is. The intricate stories it tells and the way some of these stories are interwoven, is really, truly something special. For the main series especially, how they make you feel so connected to the characters, even ones that only star for a single episode, is next level. And the way Violet herself is portrayed is a work of art. Yes, this is a very deserving 10/10 to the finale and the series as a whole.
Dec 18, 2021 11:41 PM

Mar 2018
Didn't expect anime-only ending. It was good but would prefer the Novel's route.

Animation and soundtrack was really good as always. Kyoto just needs to get better with character drawings, they all look the same except hair and eyes.

Anyway, can't complain much when I get to watch a show this good. Solid 8/10.
Νεχ ποσσυμ τεχυμ ωιωερε, νεχ σινε τε.
Dec 25, 2021 11:19 AM

Jun 2016
so boring as fuck !!

movie 1 still a lot better !!
Dec 27, 2021 6:49 PM

Jan 2011
finally got around to this...uh i mostly did not like the movie but since i've seen it all i can safely say i personally don't think the writing and story is nearly as good as the music and animation of VG.

this was also one of the most boring movies i've watched in recent memory which would be fine if it didn't drag it's self on for nearly 2 and a half hours covering a epilogue that could've been done a lot quicker and what i thought the theme's being Violet coming to terms with the lost of a "major" figure in her life and learning acceptance to move on (lol nope) felt like a cop out then i was oh okay i hate that they kept him alive but at least she can finally move on now and then it turned into a happy romantic ending

actual saddest part of this movie was the end of a era and end of her legacy not even gonna talk about the sub sad plot because it was so short but kyo is good at making people look like their crying so i guess i did feel bad about the family

anyho 7/10 lol that score first movie was way better and at least entertaining
Dec 27, 2021 8:37 PM
Jul 2012
Man that was a great movie. There isn't that many movies that made me tear up, but this was one of them. I like the ending.

I wonder how many people watched till the very end of the credits to see Violet and Gilbert's pinky promise?
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» The ending is horrible in my opinion ( 1 2 3 )

GRG3 - Sep 3, 2023

115 by opioids »»
Today, 3:19 AM

» Should I watch the movie or TV show first?

Damon_dinh - Aug 9, 2023

30 by Zorotoo »»
Sep 6, 10:51 AM

» Romance between gilbert and violet ( 1 2 )

NaCreamy - May 7, 2021

75 by Arminken »»
May 3, 2:42 AM

» Usagi Drop similarities (spoiler)

RealNath - Jan 26

14 by veroubri »»
Jan 27, 5:36 AM

» Why I do not like Violet ( 1 2 )

theeblueberry - Jun 13, 2023

54 by Pityfool »»
Aug 24, 2023 8:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.