Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
I'm Standing on a Million Lives
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 19, 2021 1:53 PM
Jan 2018
They really tried to make us sympathetic for the orcs huh lol

Damn the blonde is ripped
Sep 21, 2021 8:40 AM

Oct 2015
damn, I was really liking the MC at this point, he was cunning, resourceful, calm under pressure but then he had to go "boo hoo! some people are bad so I HATE ALL PEOPLE!" if one or a few bad people is enough for him to hate an entire race then he should also hate all animals as well... seriously, humans aren't the only ones capable of doing things that we humans would consider evil, even the Orcs right in front of him are capable of doing those things that made him hate the whole Human Race, he should or rather the Author should do some research on Chimps, Dolphins, Ducks, Otters etc.

Chimp communities have been recorded to wage war against other Chimp groups and other animals as well, they've also sometimes practice cannibalism, they like to eat the balls of other creatures while they're still alive as if to inflict more pain than necessary, there's even also been an observed case of a community of Chimps that was in a territorial dispute with a Troop of Gorillas and the Chimps where observed to only target the small children of the Gorillas, Chimps have also been known to r4pe, Dolphins as cute and intelligent as they seem to be, they've also been know to r4pe other animals, same for Ducks and Seals as well, some Otters have also been recorded to practice necrophilia, there's been observed cases of Otters doing s3xual acts on the corpses of other animals.

I don't hate the MC, he's still better than most Isekai MCs but this goof up of the author made me like him less.
Sep 21, 2021 12:45 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I legit felt bad for the orcs when they were trying to protect their family, the dick thing was cringe though.
Sep 27, 2021 5:10 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
just started bingeing from ep 1 to 5...and boys, this episode is hard to take in.

That orc's last smiling while caring his child, I would feel really bad if I was the MC too. qwq
Sep 28, 2021 6:30 AM

Mar 2020
After completing this episode, I must admit, I really think it did a great job depicting human nature and how destructive it can be! And I do commend how it was done so.

I'm a dub watcher, so even though the series is completed at the time of writing this post, I still don't know how the orcs are being used for the plot yet. This isn't what I wanted to talk about though, it's more how the orcs was used as a way of showing of how destructive humans actually are, and it was done very well.

Orcs are often depicted as the bad guys of adventure series, and as soon as we hear orc, we (for the most part) automatically thing they are the bad guys. And through the past few episodes, we only saw things from the human perspective. "The orcs will use us for food", yada yada yada.... But when episode 5 hit, we suddenly see the other side of the story.

When we hear the orc queens thoughts on the boat about how humans are more intelligent then they are, they authors essentially turn them into animals. And as we witness throughout the episode, it's made clear, the way the orcs act are much more akin to animals protecting the nest. There is nothing more dangerous in nature then a mother protecting it's young, and that is what was happening here.

We learned that it was indeed true, orcs do eat humans, or they can eat them anyway. But we see that one guy take a bite out of one of our main cast and didn't care for it much. We only have the villagers word that they were trying to figure out something with the orcs, in fact, we don't know how much they were willing to do to maintain the peace with them. Seeing how far they were willing to go to protect their young, who knows what they could have worked out if both sides were willing to sit down and talk. Even MC points out the orcs weren't the bad guys here, humans were.

The scene at the end, where MC literally (almost) kills the orc child, then throws her over the side towards the lava, and the orc male willing to do anything to protect it. Even knowing, after they've been kicked over the edge, they will both die, he's trying to comfort the child in the final few moments, it was actually so beautiful. The reason why I say it was beautiful was because how it was depicted. The humanity was in the orcs, and the monsters, the true horrible creature bent on destruction, was humanity. No apology, not trying to explain it away, it just showed how horrible we humans can actually be, not holding back any punches.

When I watched this scene, I immediately started thinking about one of my favorite scenes from Terminator 2. This is a conversation between John Connor and the Terminator where Arnolds character says "It's in your nature to destroy yourself." All animals will do anything to ensure the survival of it's species, humans will do everything and anything to destroy ourselves. And this is what I felt this storyline so amazingly showed.

Now, seeing as it was mentioned about peace and paradise a few times, and how the was with the orcs was the gods punishment. I'm assuming the orc females escape we learn of at the end of the episode was orchestrated to cause the dragon to wake up. But rather then just using the orcs as a plot device, the writers managed to used the orc plot to get some amazing commentary in that really hits home.

A bit of a rant, but I just felt like sharing my thoughts on the matter and the episode in general. The first season of the anime was okay, but this second season has defiantly improved a lot in story and plot in general. In enjoying the second season way more then the first.
Oct 2, 2021 8:56 AM

Jul 2015
Its still weird how they try to spin it as if the orcs were the good guys and humans bad as the orcs are definitely the bad for eating the innocent islanders who had nothing to do with them before they were brought to the island by some random stranger.

Nov 29, 2021 1:14 AM

Jan 2008
Is a bear or a wolf evil becasue he will eat humans too?

I think they even pointed it out in the show that they agreed to stop eating humans in exchange for a different food source. They didn't have to do that - they could just devour the entire village. There is an argument to be made that they only agreed since humans could provide sustainable source of food via animal husbandry but that only goes to show that it's a bit more complicated than saying "they are evil because they eat humans so they got what they deserved". Some people should have their internet access rights revoked.
Dec 2, 2021 4:35 PM

Oct 2008
Werchiel said:
Is a bear or a wolf evil becasue he will eat humans too?

I think they even pointed it out in the show that they agreed to stop eating humans in exchange for a different food source. They didn't have to do that - they could just devour the entire village. There is an argument to be made that they only agreed since humans could provide sustainable source of food via animal husbandry but that only goes to show that it's a bit more complicated than saying "they are evil because they eat humans so they got what they deserved". Some people should have their internet access rights revoked.

You can't really compare a bear or a wolf to orcs here since orcs have some intelligence beyond the wild instincts of a beast. Having enough intelligence to communicate with humans makes a big difference in this argument.

The story tried heavily to push the "exchange" deal as a goodwill part for the orcs but it was no different from blackmail. I don't know about you but "I'm gonna eat you and your kids unless you slave away and provide me free and increasing amount of food for the rest of my life" comes off as pretty evil to me.

Dec 30, 2021 2:40 AM
Jul 2012
At first I hoped he wanted to spare the child so I was really surprised when he threw it towards the lava. I also hoped when he saw the orc save the child, he would realize that they aren't necessarily cruel monsters, and try to find a solution for both humans and orcs to reach an understanding where each species helps the other. Like, maybe the orcs could build houses, and the humans be craftsmen. I thought the previous episode preview's 3 titles hinted at that resolution too.

Instead, he kicked both of them. Another reason why I hate that MC...
teubert2Dec 30, 2021 2:43 AM
When people tell me to stream anime on CR instead of downloading from fansub sites.

Feb 4, 2022 2:38 PM

Sep 2020
kino terminator reference
Mar 20, 2022 3:33 PM

Mar 2013
Cringe "Orc good; human bad" and the counter "human good;Orc bad" in these thread, when the obvious answer is Everyone bad.
Jul 24, 2022 3:28 AM

Mar 2014
Damn, that orc trying to smile for the little queen before they both melted was extremely heartbreaking. MC can't afford to be a happy-go-lucky "make friends with everyone" isekai protag in this series with lives on the line. Stabbing her too before throwing her was just the icing on this cruelty cake...

The "I'm Standing on a Million Lives" title meaning is really starting to become apparent
Jan 6, 2023 12:55 AM

Dec 2012
Past two episodes have been real jaw droppers.  Even though I still consider the orcs the primary aggressors, seeing Yotsuya ruthlessly butcher that orc child and toss her away as a diversion was deeply unsettling.  It's one thing to defeat the orcs in defense of their lives, but slaying them down to the last child was raw convenience.  Yotsuya didn't kill the future queen because she was a direct threat, but because of the potential threat level she posed as a resource in this conflict between humans & orcs.  And on the flipside, the orc queen was planning to feast on innocent women & children out of spite.  In that sense, I don't think you can really say anyone reached the justified end.

This series is making really good use of the recurring theme of how life is valued & perceived.
ZekkenshinJan 6, 2023 1:10 AM
Apr 6, 2023 9:56 PM

Apr 2020
Zekkenshin said:

This series is making really good use of the recurring theme of how life is valued & perceived.
I don't fully understand yet I agree with you
ow + nw = 90-2000s

Apr 7, 2023 4:30 AM

Dec 2012
Yorginvik said:
Zekkenshin said:

Well to be more specific, I was talking about Yuusuke. His priorities change depending on whose lives are at stake. There's also that moment in S1 where he burns a man alive while thinking it's just an NPC in a virtual world.
Apr 7, 2023 9:34 AM

Apr 2020
Zekkenshin said:
Yorginvik said:
Well to be more specific, I was talking about Yuusuke.  His priorities change depending on whose lives are at stake.  There's also that moment in S1 where he burns a man alive while thinking it's just an NPC in a virtual world.
Oh right. Yeah I do think the show is consistent like that, especially for Yuusuke. Even after learning that the NPCs are real people, they still need to approach their quests from a game-like perspective since they are virtual. I'm glad that all the characters are all mentally well, relatively. Yuusuke surprised me since he didn't go as crazy as I imagined he might've gone, although some of his party members openly question his 'philosophy' sometimes.
ow + nw = 90-2000s

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » 100-man no Inochi no Ue ni Ore wa Tatteiru 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 27, 2021

47 by PedroKarim64 »»
Sep 8, 1:16 AM

Poll: » 100-man no Inochi no Ue ni Ore wa Tatteiru 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2021

34 by HHD1996 »»
Feb 20, 1:26 AM

Poll: » 100-man no Inochi no Ue ni Ore wa Tatteiru 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2021

65 by bpleshek »»
Jan 1, 7:19 PM

Poll: » 100-man no Inochi no Ue ni Ore wa Tatteiru 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2021

41 by DebiPS »»
Dec 21, 2023 5:09 PM

Poll: » 100-man no Inochi no Ue ni Ore wa Tatteiru 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2021

75 by dhell26 »»
Oct 5, 2023 7:17 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.