Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 14, 2021 11:12 PM

May 2010
Yes I ranted a few days ago about how much Attack on Titan had impressed me, quickly rising up my all time ranks.

The reverse of that? It's also simultaneously airing. I'm looking at Yakusoku no Neverland.

I don't read manga. S1 was a borderline masterpiece, that obviously was always going to teeter on that line depending on how it followed up the Grace Field House Arc and ultimately concluded.

S2 has been nothing short of an unmitigated disaster, and I can tell even without having read the manga.

There's very few anime that get me excited anymore, genuinely excited. YNN was one of them from when my mate @Roberto first started reading the manga years ago. He immediately tipped me off that it was shaping up to be a masterpiece and we promised to watch S1 together when it inevitably would receive an adaptation. Of course it didn't take long, and S1 managed to even exceed my expectations. I was enthralled in one of the most psychological shounen I had ever watched. One that could truly be special. One that could rival FMA (2003) or Darker than Black.

Instead as AoT has continued to ascend, YNN continues to descend.

Watching episode 5 of YNN made me sad today. And not the Violet Evergarden or Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso kind of sad.. just a sad, disappointing feeling.

Watching YNN devolve into this debacle, is like watching one of your kids devolve into a drug addict, and not being able to do anything to help and just being forced to watch the trainwreck.

Cloverworks I have one question.... What the fuck are you doing?

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Feb 14, 2021 11:19 PM

Dec 2016
When I saw the title and creator of the thread... I swear I thought I was going to see some kind of Clannad After Story sobbing here lol
Feb 14, 2021 11:21 PM

May 2010
SoldierDream said:
When I saw the title and creator of the thread... I swear I thought I was going to see some kind of Clannad After Story sobbing here lol

LOL After Story is a masterpiece, but there's very little reason to talk about it in this moment. (unless I had just finished rewatching it, which I hadn't).

Also i never much cared for Nagisa, so it never hit me as hard emotionally as some other shows.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Feb 14, 2021 11:27 PM

Oct 2020
I want to eat your pancreas was heartbreaking

so was your lie in april
and parasyte the maxim was a bit sad too

OBAMOS

Apr 2020
Maquia is one of the animes that BROKE my heart. Family in anime is an underrated concept, and the industry should also focus more on pumping out anime series that focuses on family drama.

They also kinda need it since Japan's population is sinking like how The Promised Neverland 2 is right now.

Apr 2020
Clannad afterstory got me mentally restrained. i cant even listen to the OSTS without crying, or look at the characters.
one time i tried to rewatch it and just ended up giving up, breh.

A scene in monster mf hurt me so bad, that hurt likeh train.

when i first watched maquia it was the first anime that i actually broke down crying to.

the ending of assasination classroom was so emPTY, i cant.

episode 10 of violet evergarden didnt even hit close to home, it hit home.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 14, 2021 11:29 PM

Nov 2019
I knew Oregairu should never have had its last volumes adapted, but they made it eventually and turned out to be the shittiest series I have ever watched, which also involved the sequel.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Feb 14, 2021 11:31 PM

May 2010
Kenzolo-folk said:
Clannad afterstory got me mentally restrained. i cant even listen to the OSTS without crying, or look at the characters.
one time i tried to rewatch it and just ended up giving up, breh.

A scene in monster mf hurt me so bad that broke.

when i first watched maquia it was the first anime that i actually broke down crying to.

the ending of assasination classroom was so emPTY, i cant.

episode 10 of violet evergarden didnt even hit close to home, it hit home.

I'm offended that you called me a bozo :(.

But ya Afterstory is a masterpiece of course lol. And yaaaaaaaa we don't talk about the letters ok. LOL.

Ya agree on Berserk being disappointing but that was pretty self evident from the first trailers and episode 1 of s1.

YNN is like S1 was a borderline masterpiece and now S2 has no identity.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Feb 14, 2021 11:31 PM

Jun 2020
You’re sending mixed signals here, the forum title is anime that broke your heart, but you tell a story of how you were disappointed or dissatisfied with an anime sequel. I’m just gonna assume you meant disappointed, the only anime I can think of where I had high expectations and was disappointed is Devilman Crybaby, I just didn’t enjoy the story or the way it was telling it.
How am I supposed to decide what to write, I can't choose an anime to watch to save my life, you think I can pick a signature?
Feb 14, 2021 11:33 PM

May 2010
CrimsonHerring said:
You’re sending mixed signals here, the forum title is anime that broke your heart, but you tell a story of how you were disappointed or dissatisfied with an anime sequel. I’m just gonna assume you meant disappointed, the only anime I can think of where I had high expectations and was disappointed is Devilman Crybaby, I just didn’t enjoy the story or the way it was telling it.

That's your fault for having high expectations for a Yuasa work.

Also your fault for misinterpreting my thread.

The post is pretty damn clear what i'm referring to, and don't tell me what words I mean to use.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Feb 14, 2021 11:35 PM

Jun 2020
Johan said:
CrimsonHerring said:

The post is pretty damn clear what i'm referring to, and don't tell me what words I mean to use.
Woah sorry I didn’t mean to tell you what you meant, I just thought it was pretty confusing, so I just assumed something.
How am I supposed to decide what to write, I can't choose an anime to watch to save my life, you think I can pick a signature?
Feb 14, 2021 11:37 PM

Jul 2016
The impact that Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi had on me didn't occur instantly.

I realized only later that I wished the main character chose a different girl.

He should have chosen Ibuki instead of Ui.

Feb 14, 2021 11:37 PM

May 2010
CrimsonHerring said:
Johan said:

Woah sorry I didn’t mean to tell you what you meant, I just thought it was pretty confusing, so I just assumed something.

I've barely watched any anime the past 3 years. YNN is about the only anime I get excited for, so yes I stand by my title, and i think my post makes it pretty clear what I'm referring to.

That being said if people want to talk about anime breaking their heart in a different way or connotation too, that's completely fine. I don't moderate or police my threads and that kind of response is still valuable here.

It's about what anime broke you heart and why.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Feb 14, 2021 11:40 PM

May 2010
IpreferEcchi said:
The impact that Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi had on me didn't occur instantly.

I realized only later that I wished the main character chose a different girl.

He should have chosen Ibuki instead of Ui.

How you gonna come in here and start spoiling shit

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Feb 14, 2021 11:41 PM

Apr 2017
I watched Clannad and After Story recently.

I liked Clannad a lot, I liked the characters and their relationships, Tomoya was one of the best protagonists I've seen in a long time.

Then, I started After Story, the first 8 episodes were focused on characters I didn't care about that never appeared again anyway.

Afterward the following episodes focus on Tomoya and Nagisa's life where everything tries to be so sad that it loops around to being funny, only for everything to not matter anyway because Tomoya save scummed to avoid the bad ending.

I liked Clannad a lot but After Story disappointed me.
cunnysseur
Feb 15, 2021 12:19 AM

Dec 2013
a lot of anime broke my heart but latest ones are 1. Sora Yori and 2. Made in Abyss

Feb 15, 2021 12:24 AM

Apr 2020
White Album 2, the last ep really broke my heart..
Feb 15, 2021 12:46 AM

Sep 2020
Yep, I agree YNN S2 made me wanna forget it for good
I am a useless student of society.
Tests are my body and Grades are my blood.
I have done over a thousand assignments.
Unseen by teachers,
nor done properly.
Yet, those hands shall never hold an outstanding grade.
So, as I pray...
Unlimited Homeworks.
Feb 15, 2021 12:59 AM

Mar 2020
Johan said:

Bruh, shut the fuck up. CloverWorks did nothing wrong.
Every single change in the plot (shortening it) was done because the author of the manga requested it, the one who made all the changes was the mangaka.
Feb 15, 2021 1:18 AM

Mar 2020
From what people have been telling me I may not watch it or else it S1 will suffer from Game of Thrones syndrome.

Yah know when you really want to rewatch a show because it started off amazing, but in the back of your mind you know it is a march to your doom because there is always that next season or that ending that will crush your spirit in the end.

I havent seen it myself, when I saw it was getting a weirdly timed recap episode I sorta knew something was up. They are often a panic button they press to try to keep the train from completely derailing.
Feb 15, 2021 1:21 AM

May 2010
Tendo_GM said:
Johan said:

Bruh, shut the fuck up. CloverWorks did nothing wrong.
Every single change in the plot (shortening it) was done because the author of the manga requested it, the one who made all the changes was the mangaka.

This is patently false.
-Ecliptix- said:
From what people have been telling me I may not watch it or else it S1 will suffer from Game of Thrones syndrome.

Yah know when you really want to rewatch a show because it started off amazing, but in the back of your mind you know it is a march to your doom because there is always that next season or that ending that will crush your spirit in the end.

I havent seen it myself, when I saw it was getting a weirdly timed recap episode I sorta knew something was up. They are often a panic button they press to try to keep the train from completely derailing.

Yeah completely agree with this. Even i could tell something was off the preceding episodes. A recap is never a good sign when everything is in disarray. S1's score was 8.65 and S2 is down to 7.56 and dropping rapidly.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Feb 15, 2021 2:31 AM

Feb 2020
the End of Evangelion killed me.

also A silent voice and Clannad after story was hard to watch.

and i fucking loved it!
Feb 15, 2021 2:35 AM

Aug 2018
5 Centimeter per Second broke my heart three years ago, that bastard anime I still remember it like it was yesterday. But I like it.
Feb 15, 2021 3:46 AM

Oct 2020
A Silent Voice
I Want To Eat Your Pancreas
Your Lie in April
A Town Where You Live -> specifically at episode 7
Parasyte
Plastic Memories
Angel Beats

Honorable Mention (animes that made me sad, but not too sad):
5cm Per Second
Scum's Wish -> the ending
Kiznaiver
White Album

I think y'all could guess which scenes from each animes I mentioned that broke me.
Daxonzion-Feb 15, 2021 3:56 AM

"ꜱᴛʀᴇɴɢᴛʜ ᴏꜰ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ, ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴜɴɪᴛᴇᴅ, ɪᴛ'ꜱ ʙᴀʀʀᴇᴅ ʙʏ ɴᴏ ᴅᴏᴏʀ..." -Aigis
Feb 15, 2021 4:02 AM

Mar 2019
Nothing broke me more than Clannad AS. After watching this I was basically dead for some time...
but besides that one, also Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso was just so sad...although you could expect sth happen here it was still sooo sad and the good music made it even harder to watch..still it has one of the best OP ever with Hikaru Nara
same could be said about Plastic Memories..knowing how it will end doesn't really make it simpler for my heart.
Would also go with Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai here for sure.
Anohana is definitely on that list as well...and Violet Evergarden is a masterpiece.

At last I would go with something different, one probably broke your heart in a different way...everyone of us has their dreams...with that said: Antartica is really further than what we normal people can imagine....
Feb 15, 2021 4:06 AM
May 2020
Nagi no Asukara has the most heartbreaking NTR i've ever seen so far.
Feb 15, 2021 4:59 AM

Jun 2020
The Promised Neverland has been pretty disappointing. All the tension that made the first season what it was is gone. The story also feels like it has no direction to go in.

I say this as an anime-only
Feb 15, 2021 5:53 AM

Apr 2018
CrimsonHerring said:

Same. I was about ready to think what shows made me bawl over but the thread description paused me a moment.

Johan said:

Actually it's not 'pretty damn clear'. If you go over the comments in this thread a lot of people are talking about shows that made them FEEL heartbroken or sad and not that the show disappointed them which was how you detailed it. I mean I'm not telling you about your use of words of anything just it is genuinely confusing for some people...

To answer this thread though:

It was SAO for me. I liked the premise of it so I wanted to add it my liked shows but the character deteriotation ehem Asuna ehem...I was having a fun time up until episode 4. There rest just felt like a jumping episodic plot? It's been so long that I can't recall all reasons it disappointed me.. oh wait but it didn't really break my heart since I wasn't invested in it in the first place?

Hmmm I think Eureka Seven sort of fits better? I'm not too into the series tbh but with S1 if I compare it to S2 the S1 plot and character development is a very far cry. S2 just feels like an OVA style? Like an epilogue stuff.
kklaoFeb 15, 2021 6:21 AM
"When I decided to follow my dream, I had already discarded my life.” -Roronoa Zoro
Feb 15, 2021 6:02 AM

Mar 2019
heart felt like it cracked after i finished anohana
Feb 16, 2021 1:33 PM

Feb 2015
5cm per second & Made in Abyss made me ugly cry :x
Also that one epsiode of Kiznaiver where they share their emotional pain. I know a lot of people think it's too melodramatic, but that scene made me feel horrible (in a "being sad" way, but worse).
StormxNightmareFeb 17, 2021 5:34 PM
There's no possible way you can steal my heart

I want to drown in this sweet Melancholy
Feb 16, 2021 2:23 PM

Mar 2020
Sgt-BaitMan008 said:
I knew Oregairu should never have had its last volumes adapted, but they made it eventually and turned out to be the shittiest series I have ever watched, which also involved the sequel.
AMEN BROTHER
That shit is a literal cashgrab, I abhor the Shin volumes of the LNs.
They are so poorly written just to get money. I hate that shit.

Johan said:

I got nothing to say except the manga goes DOWNHILL FAST too after the Escape arc.
Yeah people will tell you about Goldy Pond Arc, and I agree it's good, but it's a generic shounen arc.
None of the suspense and thrill of Escape arc is EVER seen after that in the manga, that's why most people on manga boards just simply don't care.
There's a small community that is very disappointed that they didn't adapt Goldy Pond arc, and I would agree that they skipped and it's a let down.
But let's be real, the entire TPN series goes downhill so hard after the Escape arc, the ending is a literal 3 maybe 4/10.
All the characters that were developed are basically thrown aside to only focus on Emma, Ray, and Norman.
You remember Phil? The little kid who diverts attention to help them escape in S1? Yeah he's just a side character who gives hugs and shit now, he's not smart anymore. But here have some more Norman.
The sacrifices in the series don't mean shit either, Norman dies but not really, Emma loses all her memories but not really, the writing is awful.
They should have never adapted TPN after S1.
Feb 16, 2021 4:33 PM

May 2010
GoZha said:
The Promised Neverland has been pretty disappointing. All the tension that made the first season what it was is gone. The story also feels like it has no direction to go in.

I say this as an anime-only

I completely agree with you for once.

Judevin said:
Sgt-BaitMan008 said:
AMEN BROTHER
That shit is a literal cashgrab, I abhor the Shin volumes of the LNs.
They are so poorly written just to get money. I hate that shit.

Johan said:

I got nothing to say except the manga goes DOWNHILL FAST too after the Escape arc.
Yeah people will tell you about Goldy Pond Arc, and I agree it's good, but it's a generic shounen arc.
None of the suspense and thrill of Escape arc is EVER seen after that in the manga, that's why most people on manga boards just simply don't care.
There's a small community that is very disappointed that they didn't adapt Goldy Pond arc, and I would agree that they skipped and it's a let down.
But let's be real, the entire TPN series goes downhill so hard after the Escape arc, the ending is a literal 3 maybe 4/10.
All the characters that were developed are basically thrown aside to only focus on Emma, Ray, and Norman.
You remember Phil? The little kid who diverts attention to help them escape in S1? Yeah he's just a side character who gives hugs and shit now, he's not smart anymore. But here have some more Norman.
The sacrifices in the series don't mean shit either, Norman dies but not really, Emma loses all her memories but not really, the writing is awful.
They should have never adapted TPN after S1.

I've also heard mixed thoughts on the writing after the Grace Field House arc, that being said the general consensus is that Goldy Pond is great, and even if the writing is mixed after the escape; It's wholly unacceptable to skip 100 chapters of manga in 1 episode, axe one of the most coveted arcs of the manga, and then make everything feel so anticlimactic. i.e. Norman's reveal in ep 5.

I guess I agree that if they were going to do this bullshit they'd have been better off leaving it alone after S1.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Feb 16, 2021 4:47 PM

Mar 2020
Johan said:
I've also heard mixed thoughts on the writing after the Grace Field House arc, that being said the general consensus is that Goldy Pond is great, and even if the writing is mixed after the escape; It's wholly unacceptable to skip 100 chapters of manga in 1 episode, axe one of the most coveted arcs of the manga, and then make everything feel so anticlimactic. i.e. Norman's reveal in ep 5.

I guess I agree that if they were going to do this bullshit they'd have been better off leaving it alone after S1.

Just be like the manga community of TPN and pretend like the kids just lived a good happy life after escaping the Garden.
The manga AND now anime are both just not that great after that arc.
Which is a real letdown considering how much this series had going for it in the first stretch, I remember people just loving the shit out of TPN for the suspense and being one of the best thriller mangas in a long time. Every side character got character development, the story was developed but always kept in a mystery and never fully shown to keep you right where the kids were, and know only as much as they did. It broke all the cliches and the typical shounen bullshit to give something refreshing, only to return right back to the bullshit shounen cliche roots.
I guess I already got so disappointed back then that I never had any more disappointment for the anime left so I really just don't care.
At least anime onlys could've had a better TPN if they hadn't adapted S2.
The author should've just stopped after Escape arc. What an absolute let down.

More topics from this board

» To what extent does anime serve as a reflection of Japanese culture and society, and how has it influenced global perceptions of Japanese identity?

GoatPieceLuffy - 18 minutes ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» Will AI help reduce "crunch time" in the anime industry?

GoatPieceLuffy - May 23

40 by SuperAdventure »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » You will die if you lose, choose the competition.

APolygons2 - 8 hours ago

14 by DigiCat »»
35 minutes ago

» Need an anime expert to help answer my questions

CovertSphinx - Yesterday

10 by DigiCat »»
43 minutes ago

» Hottest Adult Characters in anime?

RedTea33 - 2 hours ago

10 by Zakception »»
46 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.