Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 6, 2021 5:21 AM

Sep 2020
If its aot love is war and evangelion i would defend those 3 really hard
Jan 6, 2021 7:12 AM

Oct 2020
Closet, No one that knows me in person knows about it except for my younger brother.
Jan 6, 2021 7:53 AM

Jun 2016
At the beginning I was a closet fan, simply because anime wasn't so mainstream where I lived and I literally had no one to discuss it with. People tended to think certain things like anime was weird back then because they were unfamiliar with it. I didn't want to be labeled as that weird kid lol, so I just enjoyed it in silence, however as more and more people in my surroundings became familiar with it and I adapted a "It izz what it izz" and "IDGAF" mentality I'm now an open fan. Folks have stopped judging people for watching it nowadays as it is so mainstream and "cool" to watch now.

"I don't care if no one likes me. I wasn't created in this world to entertain everyone"- Oreki Houtarou
Jan 6, 2021 11:14 AM

Sep 2020
I am unable to tell people that i watch anime cuz i am bullied in school and hated by everyone.

LoL thats what u wanted to hear:)
Jan 6, 2021 11:26 AM
Mar 2020
I'm very open all 5 people I talk to know it.
Jan 6, 2021 11:30 AM

May 2013
Like outside family I am a closet fan. My friends, co-workers, colleagues, classmates from school or work never knew that I am such a big otaku fan. I sometimes would hear them talk about a popular anime and how they can't get over it and I would make no comment. You see outside my comfort zone, I am a person struggling in the real world. I dont want people to get into my personal business until I will allow them to.

In my family though, its a different story. My brothers and I are such great fans we talked about it all the time. My mom does not like Anime in general, but she likes Naruto so much that she will only watch Naruto and nothing else. So, when Naruto aired my mom will always be excited to come sit with me whenever the show starts. She loves Naruto's ideals so much that's why she convinced my brothers to watch as well. Now, my family are all Naruto fans which I dont hate but also is a bit embarassing. We get into debates the whole time. At least we dont talk about it when we are outside the house. My entire family is also a fan of Boruto but since I dont live with them anymore they cant influence me no more.

Jan 6, 2021 4:13 PM

Oct 2016
hades884balding said:
I am unable to tell people that i watch anime cuz i am bullied in school and hated by everyone.

I can't imagine you're hated by everyone friend

As for me, I will talk about anime in the same way I will talk about watching A Clockwork Orange or even Orange Is the new Black; it's a piece of media I have watched and therefore have opinions on it. They're just chinese cartoons man, they're not like "different" from any other piece of narrative-based media you consume
Jan 6, 2021 4:38 PM

Oct 2018
on my first day at college:

1. arrived at college
2. go to the classroom
3. open laptop
4. play anime
Jan 6, 2021 4:55 PM

Jul 2007
I'm not closeted about any aspect of myself because I have nothing to be ashamed of. Come at me.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 6, 2021 4:58 PM

Jul 2019
i don't hide the fact that i enjoy anime, though I usually hide that i enjoy stuff like Love Live
Jan 6, 2021 5:00 PM
Jan 2021
Open fan.
I love connecting with fellow nerds/otakus. Life is short and there is too much to watch and read to cover everything.
Jan 7, 2021 1:04 AM

Dec 2016
Open, I don't care anymore about other people's opinion after I use to get bullied about it lol.

バーチャルアイドルときのそら !
ʚ (๑╹ᆺ╹) b
Jan 7, 2021 8:04 AM

Nov 2007
Depends.....when my boss in Japan told me I look like Boa Hancock, I pretended I didn't know what tf is he talking about and he and a coworker had a chuckle about how "of course she wouldn't watch anime"...if they only knew that they are the normies here...
But if someone, who is not my Japanese boss, asks, I will just tell them. People do not usually ask me though...I guess I really do not fit the stereotype they have in their head.
Jan 7, 2021 8:13 AM
Mar 2020
open but now I wish I was a closet...why? too personal to me
Jan 7, 2021 8:48 AM

Jan 2014
I'm pretty open with it as I also like to draw anime too.
☆・。・。☆・(* ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ~Aphotic ☆・。・。☆・゜
Jan 7, 2021 8:49 AM
Sep 2020
I mean I'm not gonna be all in your face about it, but if you asked, sure.
Jan 7, 2021 8:54 AM

Nov 2017
I'm a pretty open person in general, and my interest in anime is no different
Jan 7, 2021 9:41 AM
Jul 2018
Closet because I have nothing in common with anyone around me. None of my friends have ever liked anime. I barely hear about anime unless it's being shamed. So closet. Not much point in being open. I draw and would love to draw anime but my parents are hyper-fixated on the outdoors and camping life so its a bit of a dissonance really. Closest I can get is drawing pokemon and apparently they're just 'weird cartoon drawings' then lolol.
Jan 7, 2021 10:22 AM

Sep 2018
Open I think? I don't care of what people think about me anyway. I don't hide it if someone ask me if I watch anime. I do read manga in public and occasionnaly I wear merch stuff. But I guess I don't "look" like a person who watch anime (what is the look of a fan anyway?), one of my friend never knew I like anime until she saw me read a manga in class, she was so surprised lol cause she watch anime too and since I'm the "sporty and sociable girl" she didn't think I would like anime. Like they said don't judge a book by its cover.
Jan 7, 2021 10:28 AM
Jan 2020
I’m more on the closeted side. My immediate family knows about my love for anime and so do my close friends, but I don’t go around talking about anime all the time. I’m just afraid that if I come out to everyone that I’m an anime fan, that’s all I’ll be, an anime fan. I want to be more than that. There’s more to someone than being an anime fan.
Bruh
Jan 7, 2021 11:49 AM

Aug 2020
Open, who cares what others think lol you like what you like
Jan 8, 2021 2:32 AM
Jul 2018
Open fan because it really doesn't matter.
Jan 8, 2021 2:34 AM

Jan 2017
I'm pretty out of the closet with my hate for anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 8, 2021 2:46 AM

Apr 2013
I’m kind of inbetween. But more closeted recently. My family and close friends know I watch anime and dont’t judge. When I was in middle school I was kind of open about it, and I was always drawing anime stuff in school, but I did get weird looks for it :/. So since highschool and now in college I am more lowkey. I have no anime themed stuff on my social media and I dont casually talk about it and I dont have merch either. Nobody can tell from the outside that I watch anime. But I wouldnt hide it if someone asked lol.
Jan 8, 2021 3:14 AM
Apr 2020
I am a closet anime fan, because I get weird looks due to my hobby which can affect my work life balance.
Feb 18, 2021 2:56 AM
Jul 2018
Closeted kind of, I don't talk about anime unless I know the other person has an interest in it.
Feb 18, 2021 3:00 AM

Feb 2020
Open, though I'm lucky because everyone I know is either interested in anime or indifferent to it.
Rest in Piece, Miura.
https://i.imgur.com/HzfqYqS.png

Feb 18, 2021 3:01 AM

Jan 2020
I would say I'm kinda in the middle. I mean, I don't go out saying I'm an anime fan or anything like that, but I don't hide the fact that I regularly watch anime either.
Feb 18, 2021 3:02 AM

Apr 2018
palm-tree said:
I treat it just like any of my other hobbies and interests. I definitely don't try to hide it, but I also don't go out of my way to tell everybody. People close to me are aware that I watch anime (and most of them watch anime too, at least casually), and people I'm not close to usually don't know, but I wouldn't care if they did.

^same here. Like my personal accounts have limited posts about anime but I don't hide it or anything I'm just not "public public" and post a lot. I usually stick to site like here since the audience so it's faster to create discussions and rapport
"When I decided to follow my dream, I had already discarded my life.” -Roronoa Zoro
Feb 18, 2021 3:05 AM

Feb 2021
I'm pretty much a closet fan. It's something I don't really like to talk about openly irl. Back in the day it was something people looked down upon and this stuck with me until today, even tho it calmed down and it's pretty much normal for the younger fans. I also don't have many irl friends that are into anime or even like it. They still got the mindset that it's for children. Or they associate it with creepy weebs and waifu addicts.
I'm fine with it. I don't have the need to talk about anime/manga with my irl friends when I can do that online.

⸢ if you meet your god,
tell him to leave me alone. ⸥

ベルセルク
Feb 19, 2021 5:15 PM

Jun 2008
I'm very open about it. I'm also a college professor and make anime references often. Luckily, I have a class this semester with some anime fans in it.
Feb 19, 2021 5:21 PM

Apr 2018
Open; I basically live in an environment where being an anime fan is pretty common.
Feb 19, 2021 5:24 PM

Nov 2015
never been closeted. I like anime, what of it.
Feb 19, 2021 6:03 PM
busy week =_+

Dec 2014
Open, it's how I get good recommendations

CURRENT: semi-hiatus (busy)

Feb 19, 2021 7:26 PM

Mar 2019
Open, because personally i don't see the point of being closet fan.
But that doesn't mean i'll be like "Hey guys! Guess what, i am an anime fan!".

I play BanG Dream! Girls Band Party

Garupa EN ID: 10759829
Garupa JP ID: 36753163
Feb 19, 2021 7:29 PM

May 2020
Mmmm half-and-half. I don't talk about it really unless someone irl asks, but I've posted my cosplay on my FB before (where I have my family and coworkers on) so people will have definitely seen that. It's just that no one I know really knows/cares about anime so it doesn't register for them I think.

Only my husband knows how much of a true weeb I am.
Feb 19, 2021 7:32 PM

Sep 2012
I'd like to see someone IRL try and tell me to my face I'm a weirdo for liking anime/manga. Idgaf what others think. I'm actually ripped too from going to the gym 4 days a week, I'll lay them out flat. :)
Feb 20, 2021 1:36 AM

Apr 2013
I'm open about all of my hobbies, that's the last thing I'd lie about.
Feb 20, 2021 1:39 AM

Oct 2017
Open, but I don't use anime profile picture, yes I'm one of those dudes that makes fun of you in the internet for being a weeb while being one myself, people who knows me or follow me on social have seen a post or two(maybe more) about anime, hell I used to be a staff at the anime convention at my city....

Trvshy said:
I'm pretty much a closet fan. It's something I don't really like to talk about openly irl. Back in the day it was something people looked down upon and this stuck with me until today, even tho it calmed down and it's pretty much normal for the younger fans. I also don't have many irl friends that are into anime or even like it. They still got the mindset that it's for children. Or they associate it with creepy weebs and waifu addicts.
I'm fine with it. I don't have the need to talk about anime/manga with my irl friends when I can do that online.

Daamm it must really suck, from reading your post I thought you were older cause the late 90's generation is like all out weeb fans and don't give a fuck about other people taste, maybe it's more of a cultural thing... But I agree if you, some people try to shove anime down everyone throat while maybe that is not the crowd to talk about the latest ecchi that came out.
Ganbatte.
Feb 20, 2021 1:41 AM
May 2019
I'm more of closeted fan because I'm an introvert so not only regarding anime but I keep most of the things about me private, only very close people to me knows about it.
Feb 20, 2021 2:08 AM

Apr 2017
Open.

You decide your own worth. If you decide your qualities are horrible, then why should I or anyone else see you as otherwise?

Thus, I will proudly present to others what I like and dislike. If they do not accept me for who I am, then I need not interact with them any longer. If it is a professional setting, they have no such authority to decide to accept me or not and any drama they cause, I will let it bite them in the ass when it counts.
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Could you survive in the world of your favorite anime?

Spunkert - 5 hours ago

28 by JaniSIr »»
8 minutes ago

» Wait, there is more? (anime that were connected to or had related entries that you didn't know about)

APolygons2 - 3 hours ago

13 by FZREMAKE »»
9 minutes ago

» Which is the correct anime consumption posture?

SgtBateMan - Yesterday

20 by JaniSIr »»
10 minutes ago

» Who are your favorite canon couples? (Beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - Mar 30

43 by alshu »»
10 minutes ago

» Do you tend to skip the first episode/first few episodes of long running shows?

TheBlockernator - 1 hour ago

17 by DarkShame2 »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.