Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 17, 2020 8:58 PM
Jul 2018
I don't know about you but I am not one of the shippers because I think that ships can ruin the character dynamics and the enjoyment factor of an anime not for just yourself but as well as for other viewers , nowadays shippers are all over the place and many of them are actually good people that do not care much about their ships or respect other opinions but I hate those shippers that cross all boundaries to prove that their ships are superior than other people's ships/opinions and also those shippers that ship straight characters in a yaoi relationship and get angered when their ship isn't canon or overall shippers that get angered when their ship isn't canon and take their frustration on social media. Shippers might not see it but many other fans including people I know hate them .
I have been wondering for quite some time about the different types of shippers
removed-userMay 17, 2020 11:50 PM
May 17, 2020 9:09 PM

Jul 2017
so you hate shippers but realize that most of them are normal and not overly obsessed with their non-cannon ships? So you just hate the toxic ones then? Like everybody else?

also tbh I don't really see too many straight ships in yaoi shows, the most different sexuality ships I've seen are yuri ships with straight (presumably) characters

but to me, I ship whenever I feel like it, even if their interaction is literally just breathing in the same vicinity. if it feels like they would be good together than oh boy that ship is departing
May 17, 2020 9:13 PM
Jul 2018
Short_Circut said:
so you hate shippers but realize that most of them are normal and not overly obsessed with their non-cannon ships? So you just hate the toxic ones then? Like everybody else?

also tbh I don't really see too many straight ships in yaoi shows, the most different sexuality ships I've seen are yuri ships with straight (presumably) characters

but to me, I ship whenever I feel like it, even if their interaction is literally just breathing in the same vicinity. if it feels like they would be good together than oh boy that ship is departing

yup the toxic ones and the ones that ship people of same sexualities even though they are straight and then get angered that it is non- canon
a common example- people shipping deku and todoroki from bnha even though it is common knowledge that he is interested in uraraku and uraraku is also interested in him
removed-userMay 18, 2020 12:06 AM
May 17, 2020 9:16 PM

Jul 2017
I thought this was gonna be another profound CrimsonMidnight ship thread.

May 17, 2020 9:19 PM

Jul 2017
Dragonland04 said:
Short_Circut said:

yup the toxic ones and the ones that ship people of same sexualities even though they are straight
a common example- people shipping deku and todoroki from bnha

so then why'd you say you hate shippers in the first line then lol? You just hate the toxic ones (also the same-sex ship ones but otherwise) but the toxic ones are usually in the vocal minority
May 17, 2020 9:21 PM
Jul 2018
I don't care about plausibility, if two characters so much as look at each other and I think they have chemistry I can ship them.

If that upsets you, too bad.
May 17, 2020 9:23 PM
Jul 2018
HeruruMeruru said:
I don't care about plausibility, if two characters so much as look at each other and I think they have good chemistry I can ship them.

that doesn't upset me unless they are straight and of the same sexuality
or unless you think your opinion is superior than other's
May 17, 2020 9:42 PM

Nov 2008
I'm not really about 'crack' pairings....or slash when there is only friendship feelings. Or feelings of RAWWWR H8!!!111 lol

Like I think shipping yaoi with straight characters is kinda silly. People are free to do so...but that's not me.

Chemistry is again, the most important thing.

May 17, 2020 9:53 PM

Oct 2019
Okay so basically you don't hate shippers, you just hate toxic the toxic ones.? I recommend you change the first sentence you wrote there because it kind of contradicts what you're trying to say.

I don't really agree with any of the options in your poll. I just ship characters that I think have good chemistry. Sometimes they're straight ships and sometimes they're not.

As for the other half of what you said. From what I understand, you're saying you hate it when people make a gay ship between straight characters. That's where I disagree with you.
It's true that when people start harassing the creators and complaining everywhere that their gay ship (between straight characters) didn't sail it's really annoying and pretty rude to the creators. But that doesn't mean all the people who ship those kinds of pairings are bad.

You used bnha as an example so I'll use that too. I ship Kiribaku, I know they're both straight but I still ship it, I think they're compatible and the pairing is cute.
That being said though, I'm not going to complain when it doesn't become canon. I'm fine with them as good bros since that's what I expect to happen.
May 17, 2020 10:35 PM
Jul 2018
I only ship characters whose romantic feelings for each other are hinted or who the story itself seems to be setting up as a couple. This is because I want to experience the story as the author intends it so as to get the most out of the themes and character development. If I ship non-canon pairings I might look at character dynamics differently from how they are set up in the story.
May 18, 2020 12:04 AM
Jul 2018
marinara-sauce said:
Okay so basically you don't hate shippers, you just hate toxic the toxic ones.? I recommend you change the first sentence you wrote there because it kind of contradicts what you're trying to say.

I don't really agree with any of the options in your poll. I just ship characters that I think have good chemistry. Sometimes they're straight ships and sometimes they're not.

As for the other half of what you said. From what I understand, you're saying you hate it when people make a gay ship between straight characters. That's where I disagree with you.
It's true that when people start harassing the creators and complaining everywhere that their gay ship (between straight characters) didn't sail it's really annoying and pretty rude to the creators. But that doesn't mean all the people who ship those kinds of pairings are bad.

You used bnha as an example so I'll use that too. I ship Kiribaku, I know they're both straight but I still ship it, I think they're compatible and the pairing is cute.
That being said though, I'm not going to complain when it doesn't become canon. I'm fine with them as good bros since that's what I expect to happen.

Changed the starting line but I politely disagree
it might be that you won't complain on your gay ship not becoming canon
but what about the hide and kaneki ship that was proved non-canon during tokyo ghoulre:
manga and anime during kaneki and touka's sexual intercourse which led to a riot on tumblr where hundreds or even thousands of fans became complaining about it, posted images of them burning their manga volumes and writing to the creator to commit suicide even though it was clearly shown in the first chapter of manga and first episode of the anime that kaneki was attracted towards Rize and clearly wasn't gay, it is these type of people that anger me and for your part saying that yaoi shippers can be good too, I didn't say that they are all bad, I wrote that I hate those yaoi shippers that get angered when ther ship gets proven non-canon
removed-userMay 18, 2020 6:34 AM
May 18, 2020 12:08 AM

Jul 2019
Attackonfiller said:
I thought this was gonna be another profound CrimsonMidnight ship thread.

Same here.

Dragonland04 said:
many of them are actually good people that do not

Just reading this sentence gave me headache. 😖
May 18, 2020 12:08 AM

Oct 2019
Dragonland04 said:
marinara-sauce said:

Changed the starting line but I politely disagree
it might be you that won't complain on your gay ship not becoming canon
but what about the hide and kaneki ship that was proved non-canon during tokyo ghoulre:
manga and anime during kaneki and touka's sexual intercourse which led to a riot on tumblr where hundreds or even thousands of fans became complaining about it, posted images of them burning their manga volumes and writing to the creator to commit suicide even though it was clearly shown in the first chapter of manga and first episode of the anime that kaneki was attracted towards Rize and clearly wasn't gay, it is these type of people that anger me and for your part saying that yaoi shippers can be good too, I didn't say that they are all bad, I wrote that I hate those yaoi shippers that get angered when ther ship gets proven non-canon

Ohhhh sorry about that, my bad I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that all shippers for a gay pairing between straight characters were bad.

Thanks for explaining, I completely agree
May 18, 2020 3:41 AM

Jan 2010
@Dragonland04

None of the vote above apply to me. So I don't vote.

I ship characters that have interesting dynamics for me. Regardless of gender of the characters. Regardless of genre of the anime.

If you mean by social media is platform like twitter, tumblr, instagram, I think it's okay to vent on their own social media account, as long as they don't harass anyone.

If you follow a shipper account and don't like what they post/tweet, you can unfollow them or block them. Nobody is obligated to read it.
May 18, 2020 3:54 AM

Oct 2019
^I agree wholeheartedly with CrimsonMidnight.

I think the toxic ones are the people who go after others for ships they disagree with.

Even if it's non-canon, what's the point of getting mad about that? I don't know why people are bothered by what happens to fictional characters. Unless you're harassing the creator, there's honestly no harm. Straight ships, gay ships, polyamorous ships...why does it matter?
May 18, 2020 3:55 AM
Apr 2016
You take a ship fill in the manifest, load the characters on the ship and then you ship them to another part of the world. The only appropriate use of the word "ship".
Re:formed
May 18, 2020 5:02 AM
Jul 2018
CrimsonMidnight said:
@Dragonland04

I ship characters that have interesting dynamics for me. Regardless of gender of the characters. Regardless of genre of the anime.

If you mean by social media is platform like twitter, tumblr, instagram, I think it's okay to vent on their own social media account, as long as they don't harass anyone.

If you follow a shipper account and don't like what they post/tweet, you can unfollow them or block them. Nobody is obligated to read it.

by saying "to take out their frustration on social media"
I clearly meant harassing the creator or other people with different opinions
May 18, 2020 5:16 AM

Jan 2010
Dragonland04 said:
CrimsonMidnight said:
@Dragonland04

by saying "to take out their frustration on social media"
I clearly meant harassing the creator or other people with different opinions

I see.
Ngl it's sad that some people do that a lot on social media tbh.
Though it's beyond my power to control people on the internet.
May 18, 2020 5:38 AM
Jul 2018
Since I rarely have seen characters that call themselves straight, you can always imagine they are least bisexual. That fits many people I know anyway. Now I know more not-straight people than straight ones or it's 50:50. So what, it's not that unrealistic to imagine that.

Anyway, I ship characters that have a great chemistry in my eyes, doesn't matter the gender they have. That always just came naturally to me since I'm consuming fiction, like since I'm a kid. I mean you see two characters with (possibly romantic) chemistry and then your thought train goes like: "I want them to be together so badly!"

Dragonland04 said:
Shippers might not see it but many other fans including people I know hate them.

So... and? What now? Maybe you shouldn't assume that people care, if some other random people on the internet hate them. 😅
May 18, 2020 5:55 AM

Apr 2018
I never ship characters because it leads to destruction of one or both of their character traits.

May 18, 2020 6:00 AM

Mar 2015
I ship whoever I think has good dynamics/looks hot together. I don't really care if they're the most hetero person in the world, I'll still ship them with someone of the same sex if I think they'd be cute together. It's my headcanon and there's no rules in my headcanon lol
May 18, 2020 6:02 AM

Dec 2018
I like to ship characters where I can see an actual relationship happening and working. Shipping is just for fun so there is no reason to take them seriously and get into fights over different ships imo.
May 18, 2020 6:05 AM

Sep 2018
I ship characters that I think would have an interesting dynamic, or clash of personalities. They don't need to make sense or have had previous interactions to make it work. It does help if they at least interacted before. Here are some examples from Naruto and My Hero
- Sai X Hinata [Naruto]
- Bakugo X Ochako [My Hero]
- Itachi X Konan [Naruto]
- Iida X Jiro [My Hero]
May 18, 2020 6:14 AM
Jul 2018
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

Dragonland04 said:
Shippers might not see it but many other fans including people I know hate them.

So... and? What now? Maybe you shouldn't assume that people care, if some other random people on the internet hate them. 😅

forums are for expressing your opinions
I am not assuming people will care, that is the reason I created the forum to know different opinions and not just mine, to see how many people cared and how many didn't.
It doesn't bother me if people don't care and I couldn't care less if people like you spread hate on me,
removed-userMay 18, 2020 6:27 AM
May 18, 2020 6:19 AM

Oct 2019
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
Since I rarely have seen characters that call themselves straight, you can always imagine they are least bisexual. That fits many people I know anyway. Now I know more not-straight people than straight ones or it's 50:50. So what, it's not that unrealistic to imagine that.

Anyway, I ship characters that have a great chemistry in my eyes, doesn't matter the gender they have. That always just came naturally to me since I'm consuming fiction, like since I'm a kid. I mean you see two characters with (possibly romantic) chemistry and then your thought train goes like: "I want them to be together so badly!"

Thank you! People constantly seem to forget that bisexual people exist. Not just that but for some time people figuring out their sexuality just takes a lot longer, sometimes well into their thirties and even beyond. Not quite sure why that shouldn't apply to fictional characters as well.

I ship characters which I think might have great chemistry together or make for a compelling enemies to friends to lovers story, no matter whether they are male, female or an android. I am also often, not always, a multishipper to spare me heartbreak and if an OT3 solves my shipping problems I am all for it (looking at you, Castlevania). Whatever I ship, however, I don't take seriously.

Just to clarify, though: It seems to me that primarly you are just complaining about toxic shippers who can't take no for an answer and harass people? In that case, everyone hates them except themselves and no one should support them. But I don't know, isn't that kind of a no-brainer and renders this thread a bit unnecessary?
Shogo Makishima... just an unemployed bitter lit major who wanted to be a cereal killer.

Remember, kids, it is called looting, not shoplifting.
May 18, 2020 6:21 AM
Jul 2018
I mostly like ships that could be "canon".
That means that the characters have to care for each other, be close, and could have/develop romantic feelings towards each other. Characters with a special and strong relationship in the anime itself!

However I sometimes ship stuff that could never be canon, just because the headcanons are interesting!

And concerning the "ship wars" in fandom, I don't really care about that stuff, because I think anybody can ship however they want if it makes them happy (except when it's pedophile or incest ships, it makes me cringe and mad..)
May 18, 2020 7:16 AM

Dec 2018
To be honest the only frustration and anger I have encountered is from anti shippers.

I love Yuri and do a lot of lesbian shipping and that sadly makes some users very upset and even hostile towards me. Some people goes nuts if you ship anything gay. I NEVER on the other hand force my lesbian ships on anyone. I respect people and their interpretation of the fictional media and have no need to force my lesbian ship on others

I have seen a lot of hate verbal abuse coming from the anti shippers but never witness that behaviour from Yaoi or Yuri fans. But I only use MAL for anime so those thing maybe happen on other anime sites

For me Yuri is life and I live for my lesbian ships.If the anime breaks my a lesbian ship I drop it. Not trying to force my lesbian ships on others but I have the right to have my opinion about the fictional media. If other dislike that use the ignore function . And if people wanna hate me for loving Yuri please do so

Yuri-CrusaderMay 18, 2020 7:32 AM
May 18, 2020 7:30 AM
Jul 2018
Yuri-Crusader said:
To be honest the only frustration and anger I have encountered is from anti shippers.

I love Yuri and do a lot of lesbian shipping and that sadly makes some users very upset and even hostile towards me. Some people goes nuts if you ship anything gay. I NEVER on the other hand force my lesbian ships on anyone. I respect people and their interpretation of the fictional media and have no need to force my lesbian ship on others

But IMO the anti shippers are often the biggest problem. They get very aggressive start yelling and correcting everyone with their usual "NOOO THEY ARE NOT GAY STOP SAYING THEY ARE GAY DAMMIT ROAR ROAR"

I have seen a lot of hate verbal abuse coming from the anti shippers but never witness that behaviour from Yaoi or Yuri fans. But I only use MAL for anime so those thing maybe happen on other anime sites

For me Yuri is life and I live for my lesbian ships. Not trying to force them on anyone but I have the right to have my opinion about the fictional media. If other dislike that use the ignore function . And if people wanna hate me for loving Yuri please do so

I wrote that I hate those yaoi shippers that get angered when their ship gets proven non-canon and harass the creator and other opinions
removed-userMay 18, 2020 10:39 AM
May 18, 2020 7:42 AM

Dec 2018
Dragonland04 said:
Yuri-Crusader said:

But IMO the anti shippers are often the biggest problem. They get very aggressive start yelling and correcting everyone with their usual "NOOO THEY ARE NOT GAY STOP SAYING THEY ARE GAY DAMMIT ROAR ROAR"

For me Yuri is life and I live for my lesbian ships. Not trying to force them on anyone but I have the right to have my opinion about the fictional media. If other dislike that use the ignore function . And if people wanna hate me for loving Yuri please do so

I wrote that I hate those yaoi shippers that get angered when their ship gets proven non-canonand harass the creator and other opinions

Never accuse you personally to hate me . I just said that I have never witness those aggressive shippers most aggressive behaviour I seen myself are coming from anti shippers .And if people wanna hate me because I love Yuri they can do so, but again Im not accusing YOU for hatting me. More speaking in general terms here . It matters very little if you do a Yuri or Yaoi ship ,A lot of people still gets angry over the mere thought of homosexuality

I think we ALL can get along and we should respect each other and that we want different things in life ,rather then to fight over the cartoons =P

Yuri-CrusaderMay 18, 2020 7:46 AM
May 18, 2020 7:48 AM
Jul 2018
Dragonland04 said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

forums are for expressing your opinions
I am not assuming people will care, that is the reason I created the forum to know different opinions and not just mine, to see how many people cared and how many didn't.
It doesn't bother me if people don't care and I couldn't care less if people like you spread hate on me,

That was just an assessment that people won't stop doing what they like to do, because others are bothered by it, even if there isn't a reason to be bothered.
Of course, I stop certain behavior when it's actually hurtful or when people give me good, logical reasons for doing that. But they don't, because as long as they behave respectfully, there is nothing to argue against.

In the sentence "they might not see it, but people hate them..." is the demand to change that or the expectation that they would change it, if they knew that they are hated.
But who does for a random person they don't know? I don't even know what kind of person it is.

Who are "people like me" lol and why should I hate you to begin with? You read way more emotions into it than necessary.

Btw if you see too much shipping content for your own liking on social media accounts or anywhere else, then you are just not following people that fit to your own expectations.

Akryku said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

Thank you! People constantly seem to forget that bisexual people exist. Not just that but for some time people figuring out their sexuality just takes a lot longer, sometimes well into their thirties and even beyond. Not quite sure why that shouldn't apply to fictional characters as well.

I think they want to forget, so the gay shippings stay "in their place", where the straight dudes don't have to see them. Like "stay away from my shounen anime!" xD

Dragonland04 said:
I wrote that I hate those yaoi shippers that get angered when their ship gets proven non-canonand harass the creator and other opinions

Almost no one does that and if they do, that's just the symptome of severe underlying problems. There are crazy fans everywhere.
There are in or about the east asian music industry delusional fans that are literally stalking and harassing singers.
But not only there. Western artists are often harassed too and a few were even killed or at least threatened or hurt by their "fans".
So that's just the realization that there are people with severe problems in every medium or fanbase.

But if the fact alone angers you that people ship "straight" characters, then that's just your own problem.
removed-userMay 18, 2020 10:04 AM
May 18, 2020 7:49 AM

Mar 2012
I don't like shippers specially western ones that are hell bent on proving the sexuality of characters that are obviously "written" to be straight. Your western ideology combined with your imagination and theories are different than a fictional character written down on paper whose sexuality the author assumes to be straight or doesn't even care about. Straight shippers aren't any better but with them at least the "stop being homophobic" and incredibly stupid arguments about sexuality are out of the picture.

As for shipping itself, it's a hit or a miss, there are characters I like seeing together and others that I don't, all of my ships revolve around what's shown in the anime/manga, I'm not into playing mix and match by trying to pair everyone with every random character in existence.
May 18, 2020 7:51 AM

Oct 2015
Dragonland04 said:
HeruruMeruru said:
I don't care about plausibility, if two characters so much as look at each other and I think they have good chemistry I can ship them.

that doesn't upset me unless they are straight and of the same sexuality
or unless you think your opinion is superior than other's

When is a character established to be straight OP? Do they come around and say "I'm not into men/women?" I suppose one could find a few exceptions where this does happen but most anime characters aren't canonically straight, just like how they're not canonically gay or bi. You just assume they're straight unless stated otherwise, which is fine but it's dishonest to claim this as the truth everyone should acknowledge.

And even if it was specified this is just fiction get over yourself
May 18, 2020 8:59 AM

Jan 2010
Dragonland04 said:
I wrote that I hate those yaoi shippers that get angered when their ship gets proven non-canon and harass the creator and other opinions

Canon is absolute and only author can make change to their own story. We, as audience and fans, can only have our own imagination based on what canon has inspired. Nobody, not me, not you, have the power to change jack shit about canon.

Thing is, shipping has little to do with canon. It's something separate completely. Especially those yaoi ships in shounen anime. I mean, what is there to be proven? They have 0% chance of becoming canon and that won't stop people from shipping. You know why? Because it has less to do with canon and more to do with playing with one's imagination and personal preferences.

A character is canonically in love with a character (let's say Subaru and Emilia)? Sure. But someone prefer that character to end up with another character (let's say, Rem)? That is cool too. It's a matter of opinion. It won't anything in canon. It won't change the fact that Subaru is in love with Emilia and not Rem in canon. There is nothing to be proven to Subaru x Rem shippers.

Canon and headcanon is completely separate. Especially for non-canon ships, it belongs exclusively to the headcanon category.

Why is waifu wars more toxic? (Narusaku vs Naruhina, Renruki vs Ichiruki, Subaru x Emilia vs Subaru x Rem, Chitoge vs Onodera, etc)
Because the author hinted more than one potential ships to become canon, until it's proven otherwise at the end by the author, people will defend their ships and get heartbroken when the girl they rooted lose.

As opposed to yaoi ships (in non yaoi shows), everyone knows it's only headcanon, in which everything is your own rules.

Unfortunately, many people doesn't realize this, including some shippers themselves. Thus I can only shake my head if I see people fighting over yaoi ships in shounen shows.

It's alright to hate anything, just as it's alright to like anything.

Fans that attack/harass authors/others are toxic people, shippers or not, anime fans or not. If you ask people's opinion about those kind of people, the answer should be obvious.

Disclaimer:
I have no intention to accuse OP or anyone. I'm just trying to explain what I understand about shipping :)
I hope it will be understood that shipping itself is harmless, it's toxic people that will bring toxicity wherever they go.

More topics from this board

» Do you have anime clothes?

Zakatsuki_ - 43 minutes ago

10 by nirererin »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Sukuna vs Gilgamesh, which one is better?

Ba-Cii10 - 51 minutes ago

5 by nirererin »»
10 minutes ago

» Can you take the risk to erase your memory to enjoy an anime from fresh?

nirererin - 3 hours ago

14 by nirererin »»
12 minutes ago

» Best Anime Protagonist

Gashadokur0 - 30 minutes ago

3 by MonumentalMaster »»
18 minutes ago

» Anime Wallpapers?

BerriesSan - 3 hours ago

10 by MasterTasuke »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.