Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2014 9:08 PM

Jul 2013
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
"Protecting him from people who don't have the right[...]"

top kek, Ueno

Ishida's mom arrives and finally meets Shouko! I have to admit, I'm glad she didn't go batshit crazy towards her, not that I expected it.

Feeling half-half about this chapter. Mashiba probably comes after Kawai in terms of how irksome they are. His character's flow isn't exactly the smoothest there is.

Next time: Ueno Naoka
(次こう「植野直花」)

Mod Edit: Modified poll to remove additional off-topic responses. We allowed a modified poll in Chapter 48 after some moderator discussion, but it is better to create a new topic rather than to break poll format.
KinetaAug 20, 2014 2:36 PM
Aug 15, 2014 12:10 PM
Jun 2014
another time I wish I could read Japanese. Anyways she didn't even really seem to react to shouko so I'm not sure how I feel about that. Thankfully next week we're at the last character story I've been reading through these as fast as I can unlike other times where I've taken it slowly these things are just awful especially since I don't give a damn about Kawai, Mashiba, or Ueno.
Aug 17, 2014 2:40 PM
Aug 2014
Ueno,still a worst one.
From the other point of view,Ishida and Shouko not only saved each other,Nagatsuka,Sahara,but also changes Mashiba's mind in the same time.
charil1es2Aug 20, 2014 1:58 AM
Aug 18, 2014 2:25 AM

Feb 2010
best girl Ueno next
Aug 19, 2014 4:34 PM

Nov 2011
Heh, Ishida's mom didn't make much of an impression on me.
Aug 19, 2014 4:46 PM

Jan 2014
I found it interesting how Mashiba's dream is to become the teacher for the son of the couple who used to bully him. All in all, he's an alright guy.

These character chapters might not be the best kind of chapters, but at least it gives insight on each of them.(except Kawai's chapter, she can go to hell).
I just want to know what happened to Ishida T_T
Hi Friends
Aug 19, 2014 6:34 PM
Jun 2014
What the hell is wrong with the mother I mean I understand her but I really hate her now she knows Ueno is stopping his friends as she's okay with it WTF seriously.

Also does anyone else get a feeling that something might be seriously wrong yet she's not saying anything.
Aug 19, 2014 6:35 PM

Jul 2013
At least after Ueno's things will start to progress again. These character chapters feel like one prolonged episode.

I can get why Mashiba wants to be a teacher, because he wants to actually look after the kids and help them grow rather than just feed them information. At least that's admirable. He still seems like a bland character to me though. Not sure why, although I am glad to see him see through Kawai's bullshit and kinda call her out on it.
Aug 19, 2014 7:17 PM

Apr 2013
Oh my god Kawai, how hypocritical can you be.
Also I don't really understand the mother's reaction.
Aug 19, 2014 7:52 PM

Oct 2011
Yeah, at first Kawai slaps Shouko for the idea about the movie and then, without further explanation, she suddenly says it's a good idea, just because Mashiba said so as well. Damn bitch.
Mashiba's backstory revealed his motive for getting friendly with Shouya.. it's not as bad of a motive as I thought he would have when he first approached him, but it's still awful. Well, he probably knows that he is shit compared to Shouya.

I want Shouko to finally meet Shouya. Hopefully that might be the case after next week's chapter about Ueno.. :o
Aug 19, 2014 7:54 PM

May 2013
Surprised that Ishida's mom didn't do anything.
Aug 19, 2014 8:50 PM

Mar 2012
Bushy brows turning from evil bastard to someone that's less detestable? Interesting development.
Aug 19, 2014 8:53 PM

Feb 2010
omegaforce21 said:
What the hell is wrong with the mother I mean I understand her but I really hate her now she knows Ueno is stopping his friends as she's okay with it WTF seriously.

Also does anyone else get a feeling that something might be seriously wrong yet she's not saying anything.

its more like she's thinking "my son is in the hospital because of this girl" type of reaction. it also wouldn't benefit the story for an adult to butt into this situation when they could just let them wise up themselves and figure out how to solve the problem
Aug 19, 2014 9:15 PM

Dec 2013
Quite a bit going on in this chapter. This chapter has made me realize that Ishida's mom hasn't actually met Shouko before. At first I mistook her reaction to bumping into her as her trying to pretend she didn't exist.

As for Mashiba, I think he has noble intentions by wanting to become a school teacher. Looking after kids and personally preventing situations like his own and Shouya/Shouko from happening, assuming those are his actual intentions.

Now.... for the teacher. I'd like for someone to knock him on ass just once. That pompous fucking attitude he displays vexes me. Part of me wonders why he acts the way he does. Was he a victim of bullying during his childhood as well, or is he a just a natural ass hole?

In any case, Ueno chapter next, so as an "Ueno sympathizer" I'd like to have a bit more insight into how she has been feeling about all of this.
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Aug 20, 2014 12:52 AM

May 2013
At first, I didn't understand Shouya's mother but then, I realized that she didn't want to be harsh on Shouko because the things already happened, nothing will change is she blamed her. Saluted.

And Mashiba... you are a strange guy too you know?

I wish Ueno's chapter would change my perspective about her.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Aug 20, 2014 3:13 AM

Jun 2010
How did Kawai bitch just get away with that? @_@
Aug 20, 2014 3:49 AM

Oct 2009
Next chapter will finally be about Ueno, can't wait to see why Ueno is behaving like a bitch.
Aug 20, 2014 2:16 PM

Jan 2011
Mod Note: Placeholder created to move topic and edit poll information.

I get the feeling that the one person I really hate is actually that elementary school teacher. Next week we finally get the full interior story from Ueno. I'm thinking it just might be one of the unhappiest of them all.
rodacAug 20, 2014 2:47 PM
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Aug 21, 2014 3:39 AM

May 2012
Awww, Shouko...

7/10 for this chapter.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Aug 22, 2014 9:53 PM

Jun 2014
Honestly shocked that Shouya's mom decided to just let Ueno do whatever she wants as now she's just going to keep feeling entitled and think that she can do whatever the hell she wants. Didn't really care much for Shouya's mom to begin with but she lost a lot of points with me for that. And then she just leaves the music with them and leaves? Wow, just wow.
I can completely understand her reaction towards Shouko though, but I hope they talk things out after Shouya wakes up.

As for Ueno...I seriously wish she would just get over herself and elaborate exactly how she has the most right to visit Ishida instead of just SAYING she does. At this point I really don't see how she has the most right out of anyone to see him considering the first thing she tried to do after meeting him again was try to pull him back into his old bullying ways despite his obvious desire to change, not to mention her constant shitty treatment of Shouko. Says a whole lot about her and what kind of person she really is tbh. Was nice to see Kawai throw it in her face like that though.

It's good to see that Mashiba is regretting punching Shouya and I was glad to see his past. I still don't like that he punched Shouya for bullying in the past when he's obviously changed now, but eh. That he's regretting it is good enough for me and that he wants to fix things between everyone.
Did anyone else but me feel that Mashiba knows about Kawai's real personality? It felt like he was pretty much describing her and I found it funny when Kawai said "They had to be lying!". Such a hypocrite and idiot.

So...next week, Ueno chapter. Urk *feels like vomiting*. I was really hoping there wouldn't be a chapter about her, but oh well.
Hissatsu89Aug 22, 2014 9:58 PM
Aug 23, 2014 6:19 PM

Sep 2011
I was disappointed that Ishida's mom did nothing and let that Ueno get away with that. I guess she hasn't met Shouko before and doesn't know that her son likes her and dislikes Ueno - she may have reacted differently if she knew.
I truly do not understand Ueno as a character and I feel nothing but dislike for her in every way.
Aug 27, 2014 6:13 PM
Aug 2014
At first I was annoyed that Shoya's mom didn't do anything, but when you think about it, her son just landed in a coma and the girl who was the cause of that (at least in her mind), is standing right in front of her. I can't really expect her to be all gung-ho and say "let Nishimiya in!"

Oh and Kawaii can go to hell. What a hypocrite.
Aug 28, 2014 1:39 AM

Oct 2013
hopefully there isnt going to be another screw driven between everyone now that things seems to be going in a decent enough direction.
cant really speak for ishida's mum though.....
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Sep 25, 2014 7:47 AM

Jul 2008
Now Mashiba's 'weirdo' and 'outsider' remarks make sense. Also, that must be the most deserted hospital ever.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Nov 26, 2014 5:58 AM

Sep 2012
Even Shouya's mom didn't have a chance to see Shouya, that Ueno.

Mashiba is stranger than Shouya and we know that, he wants to be a teacher only to see a kid grow up? strange isn't it?

I don't want to read the next chapter, but I need to.
May 6, 2017 1:48 AM

Dec 2014
Shimada is self centered and egoistic..... why they again requesting from that elementary teacher....
Sep 23, 2017 7:46 PM
Apr 2016
Mashiba motivation to be a teacher is kind of creepy to say the least. I think in some ways Shouya's mother did not forgive Shouko which is why she said till her son wakes up. It seems natural although I felt she suppressed it a lot.
May 21, 2019 8:26 AM

Feb 2019
I can't say I fully understand Satoshi's logic. How do you go from being bullied by people, then meeting them in the future, seeing they're having a child, and decide to be a teacher so you can teach and guide their children? I mean if it was to make sure their child wouldn't suffer what he did, that'd make sense, but I think it wasn't clear in this chapter.

I liked how he completely fooled Miki. I think he's realised by now that Miki is a complete hypocrite. He basically called her out and forced her to accidentally see what she did from other people's perspectives, though I don't think it got through to her. Also, again, what a bitch. You slapped Shoko for her movie idea, but when Satoshi said he was interested, you went ahead and said to her you thought it was a great idea?

The highlight for me in this chapter is Shoya's mom. It was disappointing to see her reaction to Ueno's actions and how she just let her do it. I don't understand the reason why. And then her interaction with Shoko also surprised me. She hasn't met Shoko since all the way in elementary school, I think. At first, I was taken aback by her response. She just walked away. But after thinking about it, I guess it makes sense. Shoya's mom is a good person and she doesn't want to lash out and get all angry with Shoko, knowing what she went through and how Shoya contributed to that back in elementary school. But at the same time, as a mom, a part of her blames and hates Shoko because it was indirectly her fault he fell and is not waking up right now. It was probably the wisest decision not to say anything.
Sep 24, 2019 8:24 PM

Jun 2015
i don't understand shimada's logic here.. his mindset is a little wack, not gonna lie.
ueno should be next chapter.. gosh, time to throw up
Feb 23, 2020 7:05 AM

Nov 2010
Mashiba was rly good at telling out teachers hypocritic and defensive bullshit, I was thinking that he was blind about Kawai but I guess not. Nice to see him developed more in the manga as well. Though his thoughts of wanting to be teacher to watch over his bullies kid is quite messed up like that's pretty weird revenge right there. Like he said he's pretty weird lol. I'm glad to see more of him though.
May 8, 2020 7:27 PM
Nov 2017
Shouya's mum has to mark some limits. How can she agree to let ueno do that? The chapter made me think that she has always been like that. When Shouya was young, he was always doing dangerous stuff and she never punished him, not even when he broke all Nishimiya's hearing aids. Still, I believe she is one of the best characters and I understand why she couldn't confront Nishimiya.
Jun 14, 2020 2:14 PM

Jan 2019
What creeps me out the most about Mashiba's goal is that he never says "I want to make sure your kids don't go through what I went" or something like that.

He straights up says "I wanna watch your kid's mistakes while I picture you two".
May 2, 2021 2:09 AM

Mar 2020
RottenOrange said:
What creeps me out the most about Mashiba's goal is that he never says "I want to make sure your kids don't go through what I went" or something like that.

He straights up says "I wanna watch your kid's mistakes while I picture you two".

Yeah, he is a total creep
“Life is a constant process of dying.”
Aug 13, 2021 2:22 AM

Apr 2017
God I'm getting so tired of all these side characters getting more attention than the main ones. Shouko has been reduced to a quivering background decoration while Naoka and Miki throw their rage around.

Shouya's mom has some very weird priorities. Here are these 2 crazy girls in a yelling match outside her son's hospital room, one of whom is holing herself up with her son for all the visitation time with the door locked, and she just goes "oh do as you like". Yes, let's allow the girl who got into a physical fight with another girl's mother, to the point that they had to be pulled apart, to stay with your injured, comatose son so much that even you can't see him.

It's like everyone is taking crazy pills and acting as irrationally as possible.

Echoing everyone's thoughts on Satoshi. That guy is messed up and not near as virtuous as he tries to make himself out to be. Imagine being so unhinged that you hate the people who teased you, to the point that you want to become a teacher in the hopes of seeing how fucked up their kids become. Wow.
Oct 29, 2021 9:19 PM

Jan 2021
Wow this manga is so real. Every character takes me by surprise how much depth they have. Slice of life indeed. I can feel the ending creeping up though, so it seems there's not much left.

I like the emotions shown from Ishidas mom. She knows he's been bullying her like hardcore and she has bowed to them in apology. In all probability she knows Ishida's played a role in her suicide attempt, but she still can't help but feel ill will since her own son was hurt
Mar 14, 2023 4:41 PM
May 2022
what the hell is ishida's mom doing by letting ueno hijack her son's room???

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Chapter 51 Discussion

Ana - Aug 31, 2014

37 by FinnMertens »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Chapter 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 8, 2013

33 by Somua327 »»
Jun 10, 9:26 PM

» Complete JSL Translations for Koe no Katachi

Croseus - Feb 3, 2023

4 by Seansy »»
May 27, 9:53 PM

» Difference?

Mangahater - Apr 19

10 by removed-user »»
May 18, 11:48 PM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Chapter 10 Discussion

LucarioDude - Nov 5, 2013

35 by Saiunknown »»
Apr 30, 5:48 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.