Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 1 Discussion

WorldEnd: What Do You Do at the End of the World? Are You Busy? Will You Save Us?
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 11, 2017 5:33 PM

Apr 2015
Hongu said:
Yup, just what I thought, the girls being leprechauns is just another excuse to have a bunch of lolis in the story even though the entirety of humanity is supposed to be extinct.

It might be clever to not jump to unnecessary conclusions simply because you couldn't wait to get an in-universe explanation for something.
FappaApr 11, 2017 5:36 PM
Apr 11, 2017 5:34 PM

Apr 2015
Jagd84 said:

It's actually become more common to involve the original authors in the process of production for some time now. The show one the story end still mostly rests on the Director and Series Composition through.

As far as I'm aware ( and actually checked up afterwards ) the author is handling the series composition and majority of the script tho not all of it.
Apr 11, 2017 5:38 PM

Apr 2012
not bad

another watchable fantasy series along with Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho this season

hopefully both will stay consistent

Apr 11, 2017 5:59 PM

Jul 2015
After the first moments of the anime seeing all the blood and chaos, I can safely bet that the relax and happy moments with the kids will turn into death and despair. The kids themselves might not survive.

Better prepare for a rollercoaster of feels.
Apr 11, 2017 6:03 PM

Oct 2016
Five hundred years in the future, lolis are the biggest weapon of humanity (humanity?)

Seems about right.
Apr 11, 2017 6:10 PM
Mar 2017
starting with Scarborough Fair.. Damn, gotta respect this anime!
Apr 11, 2017 6:43 PM

Mar 2010
Fappa said:
Jagd84 said:

It's actually become more common to involve the original authors in the process of production for some time now. The show one the story end still mostly rests on the Director and Series Composition through.

As far as I'm aware ( and actually checked up afterwards ) the author is handling the series composition and majority of the script tho not all of it.

Huh, you're right. That's pretty weird for original creator to be an official part of the staff, interesting. If he's doing this he's most likely not working on the books themselves at the moment. That said most Series Composition guys don't do all of the script either but have sub writers in charge any individual episodes they aren't working on which I think you know.
Apr 11, 2017 6:57 PM

Oct 2014
Hongu said:
Fappa said:

It might be clever to not jump to unnecessary conclusions simply because you couldn't wait to get an in-universe explanation for something.
That's nice that you found a contrived reason for them to look like they do, but they're still designed to just be lolis because light novels.
I watched this episode and I didn't find anything special at all, why is everyone praising it?
Maybe I've just watched too many shows and am tired of this already, but this is all so damn typical. Main guy who has tragic past sees mysterious girl, they meet again somehow and he gets surrounded by other women and his own family of annoying one-note lolis (I can't wait for that one loli to spout "I'm sorry" ten million times again next episode).
Wasn't humanity supposed to be wiped out? Oh wait, they're not reeeallly humans, they have super faint distinctions so they don't look 'ugly' and still can be the main characters.
I guess I expected too much when I read "humanity extinct", I obviously should've realized they'll all just look exactly like humans anyway. How convenient he gets surrounded by the only people who look like humans as well, who also all happen to be girls.
The plot moved too fast, the random insert song in the beginning was extremely jarring and didn't fit the show, and the sooner the red haired vampire chick dies, the better. The characters were all boring except that goblin guy, he was cool.
And judging from the next episode preview we have a classic fanservice 'misunderstanding' scene. Great.
Maybe I'm just growing out of anime or something. I'm probably just a jaded asshole. I dunno.

The Latter, probably, since there is no such thing as "growing out" of anime.
Apr 11, 2017 6:58 PM

Apr 2015
Hongu said:
That's nice that you found a contrived reason for them to look like they do, but they're still designed to just be lolis because light novels.

It's not really contrived as it simply is part of the narrative. Oh god with that approach you could literally criticize anything ever done in fiction. They are young girls and hence are designed like that, get over it.

Main guy who has tragic past

Now you're being just unnecessarily picky. Either you have a tragic past or you don't, there's no in-between and shooockingly many people do have tragic pasts. Besides, from narrative standpoint not having a tragic backstory in a story that involves topics such as racial differences and heritage of a fallen society it's a waste to not include one.

sees mysterious girl, they meet again somehow and he gets surrounded by other women and his own family of annoying one-note lolis (I can't wait for that one loli to spout "I'm sorry" ten million times again next episode).

pointless complaints that are more on you than the show itself

Wasn't humanity supposed to be wiped out? Oh wait, they're not reeeallly humans, they have super faint distinctions so they don't look 'ugly' and still can be the main characters.

Your second time that you jump to conclusion without having the slightest clue why certain things in this story are this and that way. You really gotta stop this.

I guess I expected too much when I read "humanity extinct", I obviously should've realized they'll all just look exactly like humans anyway. How convenient he gets surrounded by the only people who look like humans as well, who also all happen to be girls.

The job application asked preferably for "featureless" people, you apparently weren't able to catch that one, another fluke.

The plot moved too fast

Oh c'mon. Do I really have to explain this? All this episode did was introducing characters as well as the setting and set up any kind of plot that can and will appear. And even if we already were in the plot, what is fast about meeting each other, taking on a job application and arrive at the destination.

the random insert song in the beginning was extremely jarring and didn't fit the show

I and majority of people disagree. It very well does fit both content- and audio-wise. The very text and background of the song which is a old English folks ballad does replicate a certain dynamic in the show, also the next episode features something that is taken out of the song. Audio-wise it's replicating a folkish yet melancholic feeling which very well replicates this world's situation.

And judging from the next episode preview we have a classic fanservice 'misunderstanding' scene. Great.

And the third time, now you have a strike of missing patience and an abundance of understanding.

Maybe I'm just growing out of anime or something. I'm probably just a jaded asshole. I dunno.

Judging from the things you have to complain about and the amount of times you jump ahead of yourself I fear it might be the latter. Maybe a bad day?
Apr 11, 2017 7:37 PM

Jun 2015
That was quite beautiful. I look forward to more episodes :)

I like the slow burn of the storytelling and this music is amazing.
Apr 11, 2017 7:54 PM

Jan 2016
Wow I did not expect they would use Scarborough Fair song in this. It really fits the anime. Wow beautiful voice
Apr 11, 2017 8:00 PM

Jul 2012
I had thought this might be my favorite show this season, mostly because the main girl looks like she might be my favorite girl of the season. There's a lot of shows I like this season though so it probably won't be my favorite, but I like it.

Anyway I like Chtholly, also I like that hat it went well with her pretty blue hair. Of course no hat is better but if she has to wear a hat when she goes out, I'm glad it's a good one.

It seems like the girls have some kind of magical powers or something. I'm interested in what those are.
Apr 11, 2017 8:02 PM

Jun 2013
A town where the furries shun normal people. My my how the tables have turned.

And oh wow this cast is already too large, lol. Ain't no way I'm gonna remember everyone's names.
-Trippwire-Apr 11, 2017 8:28 PM
Apr 11, 2017 8:04 PM

Oct 2014
hmm 4 vol... but looks like lots part are going to be unadapted.
But despite the pacing, this story-telling is solid, and most non-reader wouldn't get the gap.
Decent script from the author.
The only thing missing is that chance for the animation to show themselves but... well that was never one of the guns this anime has.
Beautiful BGM-ing, decent voice acts. Good enough.

Beautiful choice of an ED, though
Can't wait til we get to the sad part and the episode ends and that song turns into Dango and then people will realize the beautiful story they have just watched.
Apr 11, 2017 8:18 PM

Dec 2014
that moment when the MC gets confronted by the kid falling into water, saying that he has a ton of questions to ask..EVEN THIS SHOW'S TITLE IS ASKING 3 QUESTIONS!!

Apr 11, 2017 8:32 PM

Sep 2014
Damn those kids were super cute :D
Apr 11, 2017 8:40 PM
Jan 2017
This is shaping up to be one of the most interesting shows of the season. Our protagonist, Willem, is the last known human alive and now he must take care of a group of magical children, considered to be weapons by the military. Fun stuff. The music is beautiful, the colors and designs are stunning, the voice performances were amazing, the characters are engaging and likable and the world itself has a lot of potential for exploration and development. The first episode sets up its premise very neatly and leaves viewers hungering for more.
Apr 11, 2017 8:44 PM

Dec 2015
Was I the only one who was confused as fuck with this anime. I thought it was a sequel to another anime but It's wasn't, but the problems I have it's that some scenes don't add up like I was really confused with the furries taking the blue hair girl and later on the episode she appears at the warehouse, also how did the guy know who was the maid girl in the first place when he didn't know about the warehouse, I'm not hating on this anime I'm just so confused, can someone please tell me what was going on in that episode please so I can get a better understanding of the anime
hi
Apr 11, 2017 9:05 PM

Aug 2014
nDroae said:
WHOAH

The frog woman on my desk IS NOW AN ANIME FIGURINE!?

looks like a bear to me lol
Apr 11, 2017 9:16 PM

Dec 2013
Drock34000 said:
Was I the only one who was confused as fuck with this anime. I thought it was a sequel to another anime but It's wasn't, but the problems I have it's that some scenes don't add up like I was really confused with the furries taking the blue hair girl and later on the episode she appears at the warehouse, also how did the guy know who was the maid girl in the first place when he didn't know about the warehouse, I'm not hating on this anime I'm just so confused, can someone please tell me what was going on in that episode please so I can get a better understanding of the anime

Have the first 3 volumes of the LN but haven't read them yet, so I'm just going by what I watched in this episode. LN readers feel free to chime in.

Chtholly was most likely visiting the town under supervision from people of the warehouse (who we saw taking her back at the vantage point), and just happened to bump into Willem because that cat had stole her pendant. I think we can assume that before she went to town, she was already living at the warehouse.

Judging by their conversation, Willem and the Maid were both old acquaintances of each other and the green skinned dude who introduced him to the job at the warehouse. Going by their conversation, green skin never mentioned to Willem that she was working there. And going by how he treated the maid, I'd say that she may have tried once or twice to make him allow her to eat him in the past. It's obvious he's annoyed with her being at the warehouse, and annoyed at green skin for not telling him she was there.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Apr 11, 2017 9:41 PM

Sep 2011
Well that was boring as shit and everything MC did felt so contrived.

Also, way to bury your setting and lead in your plot synopsis. Literally the only thing I like was the smug purple loli but even that felt like it was just there to try and trick people who like smug lolis into watching this.
Apr 11, 2017 9:42 PM

Aug 2014
Oh hey Scarborough Fair.

Cute weapons and sexy troll. I'll take it. The fuck's with the names though?
Sieg Zeon!
Apr 11, 2017 9:55 PM
Jun 2015
I am calling it blue hair girl probably dies since they foreshadow the red hair girl in the opening scene. If Light novels can't have a harem in the first episode I guess that next option is to do the cheap tearjerker route with the poorly developed, archetypal female lead. She literally is a basic tsundere, I mean come on try harder.
Apr 11, 2017 10:04 PM

Sep 2015
Not bad for a first episode.
Apr 11, 2017 10:05 PM

Sep 2012
Okay, nice. First thing I thought when I saw the setting was Sekien no Inganock. The somber atmosphere and melancholy are very somewhat similar.

Scarborough Fair was quite a surprise for me, a pleasant one too.

The dialogue flows very well, I wouldn't have thought it came from an LN at first. The beginning scene captured my attention right off the bat and was very nice, but above all I drawn to that monologue by Chtholly. There was a sort of beautiful yet tragic tone to it.

Characters are interesting too. Found myself wanting to know more about them, even the minor ones like Gurick the goblin guy. MC is actually good looking and likeable, he reminds me of Yuuji from Grisaia with how mature and collected he is.

5/5, if it continues like this, it will be my high fantasy of the season. Maybe even AOTS?

15poundfish said:
I am calling it blue hair girl probably dies since they foreshadow the red hair girl in the opening scene. If Light novels can't have a harem in the first episode I guess that next option is to do the cheap tearjerker route with the poorly developed, archetypal female lead. She literally is a basic tsundere, I mean come on try harder.

I don't think you know what a tsundere is.
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Apr 11, 2017 10:29 PM

Jan 2011
Triggered another show used "How we got there" do they not realize how much this makes people suffer in trying to forget such a thing is going to happen while still questioning it ! D:

i'm still dealing with it playing through P5 but it wasn't that bad there.

even with that said i feel like this could turn out good hoping for a 2 cour will say it's quite dangerous for some people with all these lolis running around it's like black bullet all over again.
Apr 11, 2017 10:45 PM

Feb 2017
What a great first episode!

There are a lot of things that I liked: the insert song (Scarborough Fair!!! It provides the anime with a very rural atmosphere. Is it going to be used as OP as well?) , the animation --especially the low angles used, and the transitions and still frames--, and the general world-building of this universe (I think it's super cool they live on floating islands).

Then, I'm eager to know what kind of secrets Chtholly and Willen have --we got a glimpse of Willen's.

Now, children used as weapons, that cannot end well, right? I know it, and you know it, so we better get ready.

Finally, that metanarrative bit at the end was really good (take that, writers!). On the other hand, the first part, the whole "we'll let you see how this is going to end --not exactly the end, but a painful part of it-- so you get intrigued and stay here the whole road to see how the story unravels" worked for me.
Apr 11, 2017 10:46 PM

Feb 2014
Extremely well directed first episode. Probably the best among the new comers this season.
Apr 11, 2017 11:09 PM

May 2015
The impression that this first episode gave me makes me want to watch more of it, but I'm hesitant to continue because I'm afraid of what will happen. That isn't something that I feel very often...

Let's go Satelight. Make me proud this Spring Season.
Apr 11, 2017 11:59 PM

Oct 2012
Oh man that first scene.
I'm scared to start liking everyone because I see myself coming out of this extremely hurt and sad. Why do I do this to myself.

Art, music and overall atmosphere was really good, totally on point. Definitely a solid episode, loved Scarborough Fair and the overall musical scores. Chara designs were really good too.
I like what we've seen of the children already and Willem's interactions with them from this ep and the ED scenes seems really nice.

Definitely convinced to pick up the LN. I really like this
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Apr 12, 2017 12:06 AM

Feb 2013
I think I'm already in love with this anime. Didn't know anything about it, just watched it and I already think this will be my favorite for the season. The animation was great, it was funny when it was ok, it was serious when needed, the characters are enjoyable, and the plot looks awesome.

I know it's only one episode in, but I think I've found my "sleeper hit" for the season.
Apr 12, 2017 12:41 AM

Jul 2015
A really good start to this series (the title is too long :/ ).
I love the pacing of this first episode. Really feels like, this is the beginning for you.
Opening scene is really surprising, hope we will see that in future.
The atmosphere feels so melancholic, character design is really good.
The setting for the story is really damn cool, last human, sky island, and so many beings.
The color choice for the hair as well.
Willem is really mature. I think every character here are lovable.
Ah yeah, the insert song, Scarborough Fair is sung really well.
Well, this first episode seems like "Calm before Storm".
Hope Satelight could deliver its best till the end.

And also post-credit, Willem is more than 500 years old?? Damn
Apr 12, 2017 1:19 AM
Nov 2016
Pretty solid first episode. I hope it's not going to be a sad ending.
Apr 12, 2017 1:35 AM

Oct 2008
hmmmm...looks like this is worth watching! let's see...from light novel again huh...and studio is Satelight...
4/5.

Apr 12, 2017 1:41 AM
Jun 2015
IronLobster said:
Okay, nice. First thing I thought when I saw the setting was Sekien no Inganock. The somber atmosphere and melancholy are very somewhat similar.

The dialogue flows very well, I wouldn't have thought it came from an LN at first. The beginning scene captured my attention right off the bat and was very nice, but above all I drawn to that monologue by Chtholly. There was a sort of beautiful yet tragic tone to it.

Characters are interesting too. Found myself wanting to know more about them, even the minor ones like Gurick the goblin guy. MC is actually good looking and likeable, he reminds me of Yuuji from Grisaia with how mature and collected he is.

5/5, if it continues like this, it will be my high fantasy of the season. Maybe even AOTS?

15poundfish said:

The last scene was pretty typical of the tsundere archetype.
Apr 12, 2017 1:57 AM

Oct 2016
15poundfish said:
IronLobster said:

I don't see it. She's being naughty/flirtatious at best. Try-hard feigned distance is characteristic of tsunderes. I don't see any instances of that.
Apr 12, 2017 1:59 AM

Mar 2016
15poundfish said:
IronLobster said:

How tf was that tsundere ?
She was just shy cause she didn't want to disturb him at first and it was a bit awkward to introduce herself that late after spending some time with him...

If anything, Kutori is a breath of fresh air, and I've read the source to know that.
Apr 12, 2017 2:58 AM
Oct 2016
15poundfish said:

Kutori/Chtolly is definitely not a tsundere. Wow far from it actually. I would argue Willem is more of a tsundere than her.
Apr 12, 2017 3:00 AM

May 2010
This is good! I like the main characters. Feels like a tragic SoL...
Apr 12, 2017 3:29 AM
Dec 2015
Satelight are always on point with their music. top notch as always.
and look at all dem cute loli's.... i wonder how many of them will die by the end of this series.
i have a feeling it's that sort of story.
Apr 12, 2017 3:36 AM

Oct 2016
This looks good. The OST so far is brilliant and the characters are nice as well. Especially loving Nygglatho already.

I wonder how these children are "weapons". Definitely eager for the next episode.

A simple feeling that I can't seem to shake
Oh my love, you drive me crazy in the loveliest way
I stay up, all night just thinking bout' the things that you say
I call your phone and hope to hear your voice and all over again

I am in love...
Make me fall in love why don't you
Just make me fall in love again
I can't deny it I'm in love
In love... in love... in love... ♪

Apr 12, 2017 4:03 AM

May 2015
Outstanding. Hopefully, they keep this up all season.
Apr 12, 2017 4:33 AM

May 2015
this is really good. after credits was interesting
Apr 12, 2017 5:25 AM

Jun 2016
Nice animation and character designs. Seems interesting so I'll keep watching this.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Apr 12, 2017 5:43 AM
Jul 2018
Holy shit wasn't expecting this to be so good
It will probably be the sleeper hit of the season
Apr 12, 2017 6:31 AM

Apr 2011
Good first episode. But looking for info, this series will show a lot of feels and tragedy. I usually avoid shows with drama and tragedy, but I am strangely drawn into it.
Apr 12, 2017 6:35 AM
Jun 2016
Really good setting, has potential.
Apr 12, 2017 6:40 AM

Sep 2015
I bet this will be AOTS.
Apr 12, 2017 7:21 AM

Nov 2011
The last PV released before the series, was convincing and I was confident in the good start, the only concern is given by Studio Satelight, of which I do not trust a lot. Regarding this episode, the work was more than good, with regard to the designs and backgrounds. The characters are lovable and friendly, and it was enjoyable to follow the narrative in their company. The character of Nygglatho, it is interesting, especially as they have managed to combine his character quality do with being a troll. From what we have seen at the beginning and the last part of the episode, I predict a story from the dark and dramatic.
Apr 12, 2017 7:31 AM

Apr 2013
Originally not even on my ptw list, I'm so glad I watched it! Really digging the romance! Chtholly and Willem, give these two happy ending please. Don't let it end like Chrono Crusade. : [

Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2017

463 by burjl14 »»
Oct 15, 9:50 AM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 9, 2017

163 by DELLspencer »»
Jun 13, 8:49 AM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 2, 2017

158 by DELLspencer »»
Jun 13, 5:20 AM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2017

133 by toralbabs »»
Nov 6, 2023 7:11 PM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2017

148 by toralbabs »»
Nov 6, 2023 6:34 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.