Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (20) « First ... « 17 18 [19] 20 »
Feb 21, 2016 1:01 AM

Jul 2009
The art/animation is gross. I have some 80s/90s anime in my list that I've watched, but really only cause I grew up watching them and they're nostalgic. I probably wouldn't have touched them otherwise. Evangelion is pretty much the only one I watched that I never grew up on..I only just recently watched it, and it was so painful.

Idk why people get bothered over this kinda thing enough to make a thread about it though? There's always gunna be people who don't like things that you do. It's not the end of the world.
Feb 21, 2016 1:03 AM

Aug 2015
I happen to be one of those people. I couldn't even enjoy Code Geass fully just because how the art looks.
Feb 21, 2016 1:07 AM

Dec 2015
If you start watching new anime, you liked the animation right?
Then if start watching some old anime, where animation is outdated then you'll probably drop it, but old animes have pretty cool story :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 21, 2016 1:16 AM
Jan 2014
tragedydesu said:
i dont like old anime , i watch to enjoy not to hurt my eyes
kill me :)

You have to get a life first, before I can take it...
I mean.
I don't go around killing people and hang their heads up in a basement, where I also don't have a big pentagram on the floor painted with the blood of my victims and then use it as a portal to hell.
Shock_YinFeb 21, 2016 1:44 AM

Feb 21, 2016 1:19 AM

May 2009
For me, old is gold. I'll watch it if it has good story and no ecchi.
Feb 21, 2016 1:19 AM

Mar 2015
A lot of people just don't watch older anime cause of the old animation. Pity that they don't get to see Trigun or GTO!
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Feb 21, 2016 1:20 AM

Jul 2013
tragedydesu said:
bruh not all old anime have bad animation, even if they do it's not always about the animation that makes a good anime. y so shallow :(
FuchsiaFeb 21, 2016 1:24 AM

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Feb 21, 2016 1:58 AM

Aug 2014
Bebop has better animation than most shows that come out today. What people actually mean is that they don't like the older artstyles. Which is kinda fair enough but still pretty closed minded imo. Pre-2000 films are often especially amazing.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Feb 21, 2016 2:05 AM

Jan 2008
nucblus said:
1: The animation is irrelevant if the story is good.

Wrong. Anime is first and furthermost a VISUAL entertainment art. If the animation is crap, like Aku no Hana, then I don't care how good the story is. Aku no Hana ha the bonus of having shit art as well as shit animation.

On topic: "old" anime isn't as good as the fanatics claim. Most of it is very slow with a very linear and basic plot.
Feb 21, 2016 2:06 AM

Apr 2014
Fuchsia said:
tragedydesu said:
bruh not all old anime have bad animation, even if they do it's not always about the animation that makes a good anime. y so shallow :(
Artstyle and animation isn't the same thing, also, you watch something because you want to watch it right? Why bother watching something that you don't enjoy looking at?
Feb 21, 2016 2:09 AM

Jul 2013
Milk_is_Special said:
Fuchsia said:
Artstyle and animation isn't the same thing, also, you watch something because you want to watch it right? Why bother watching something that you don't enjoy looking at?
Honestly it depends just how bad the art is, what level of bad we talking about here?

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Feb 21, 2016 2:12 AM

Jul 2015
Fuchsia said:
tragedydesu said:

Sorry but im not , i know my taste well and i know i cant enjoy watching that kind of anime "shitty mainstream taste :D "
+ i think i will try Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu but im pretty sure that i will not enjoy unless that anime have a great plot
Feb 21, 2016 2:13 AM

Apr 2014
Fuchsia said:
Milk_is_Special said:
Honestly it depends just how bad the art is, what level of bad we talking about here?
Well, that question is subjective. there is no good art or bad art in general. It's just the art that you yourself don't like to look at. I, myself, Don't like how Bebop looks. i also don't like any ghibli movies. Do other people think those shows and movies look good? Ofcourse they do, that's why opinions are subjective.
Feb 21, 2016 3:54 AM

Jul 2015
^Why are you even comparing old and new art styles and animations? It makes no sense, a lot of old movies or shows have better animation than what we get nowadays, and art styles are impossible to compare.

As Pullman already said, the only striking visual difference is the color palette.
Feb 21, 2016 3:59 AM

Jan 2013
Some "older" anime can be harder to get into because of the animation / artstyle.
Especially if you're used to todays animation / artstyle it can be difficult to see past the animation ... pre 2005?

Anyhow, there's a lot of anime I like that are considered "old"
Also I will always try to watch anime that interest purely because of synopsis as I dont like watching trailers.
Another plus for me is that I dont stop watching any anime I started, I'm a completionist like that.
Jun 28, 2016 1:25 AM
May 2015
HaXXspetten said:
RadiShineAmigo said:

Nope. That's what I think when I hear/see the term "old anime" be used :3
I consider 2004/2006 to be just starting to turn old to be honest.
I think of pre-2000, feels like old if it's from the last century in my head :P
me too! but to my opinion old animes are better than new ones, coz those anime had lot of storyline than todays anime. art isnt a great factor to mine as long as the story is good. more precisely i hate nowadays glossy art, those busty art. i like the art of akatsuki, chihayafuru, rakugo, servent service,erin. but the art of touch, maison ikkoku, cardcaptor, ufo baby are very much better than most of the todays glossy, pinup art.
eklaJun 28, 2016 2:03 AM
Jun 28, 2016 1:32 AM

Feb 2015
i never think old animation is a bad,trash,garbage or something like that. i just dislike it. that's all. and that's why i never watch old anime. it's not because it think old animation is bad, i just dislike it. simple. 90's and 80's anime which i always avoid. 2003/4+ i will gladly watch it xD
YizelTroJun 28, 2016 1:36 AM
Jun 28, 2016 1:36 AM

Apr 2010
Pity them. They miss a lot of good things. Totally don't worth my anger.

Jun 28, 2016 1:36 AM
May 2015
Tevens said:
i never think old animation is a bad,trash,garbage or something like that. i just dislike it. that's all. and that's why i never watch old anime. it's not because it think old animation is bad, i just dislike it. simple.
reason for dislike? art? but u might find some great storylines.
Jun 28, 2016 1:38 AM

Jun 2016
Personally i don't have a problem with old animation, but its understandable why some people don't like it.
Jun 28, 2016 1:45 AM

Jun 2016
sumusiko said:

The animation is not irrelevant especially in an action packed show with a lot of fights, where the story is nonexistent or not the focus of the anime.
Jun 28, 2016 1:47 AM
May 2015
potatoeman said:
sumusiko said:

The animation is not irrelevant especially in an action packed show with a lot of fights, where the story is nonexistent or not the focus of the anime.
you said the same thing :P art is not a factor when the story i good.
Jun 28, 2016 1:49 AM

Jul 2012
I don't have problems to watch an older series. I watch many classical Anime and I didn't grow up with this series. Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion or Slayers. I like them all in their own way. They all have good animations, great characters and a good story. You should go back with your mind in the time where this series comes out. And mostly i get cancer from the series in the last few years. This is to much. Sure series like Fate are awesome but a Anime like God Eater was too much in his design. By the way ufotable make both series.

Thats remember me that I should watch Escaflowne.

Jun 28, 2016 1:54 AM

Jun 2016
JUON said:
nucblus said:

Depends on the person. Some say 2004 and up, some 2006, and some can't watch anything more than five years old.

Wow, am I the only one here who considers old anything before, say, 1998? o.o

I feel the same way. There isn't much difference between anime today and some anime from 10 years ago in terms of animation.
Jun 28, 2016 1:56 AM

Jun 2016
ekla said:
potatoeman said:

you said the same thing :P art is not a factor when the story i good.

It is, not as much, but it still matters.
Jun 28, 2016 1:58 AM

Apr 2011
I would not say that I can not appreciate modern animation and art within anime series, but shows that do pre-date the millenial years leave a much greater impression to me. They are so incredibly detailed, polished and refined — every nook and cranny receives individual attention when being drawn, characters are personalized with each their own characteristics and models, whereas in modern anime, one is often exposed to blurred backgrounds and what seems to me are nearly stock-images; character-models seem to be recycled in one studio's shows, chibi-shots receive little to no attention and are poorly drawn, and the animation itself often looks either static or overexaggerated.

I have always held a greater fondness for the classic look. The beauty and intricate work that went into that, simply cannot compare.

» "You've fought a valiant duel, my friend..." «

⍏⍏⍏⍏⍏

inspector @ MAL's anime watching challenge
Jun 28, 2016 2:06 AM

Feb 2015
ekla said:
Tevens said:
i never think old animation is a bad,trash,garbage or something like that. i just dislike it. that's all. and that's why i never watch old anime. it's not because it think old animation is bad, i just dislike it. simple.
reason for dislike? art? but u might find some great storylines.

nah, even if i found the story so good, i can't enjoy watching anime if i dislike the animation. there is no actual reason for it. i just dislike it. i dont' like it. what else ? there is no spesific reason. or maybe because i didn't find the animation enjoyable to watch for me. it's the same thing like when the show has many huge flaws in it but you enjoy watchin it. basically, it's not my taste. and anime is an animation entertaiment. i think it should focused more on it's animation/art cause it's an animation entertaiment. but obviously they should focused on the story too.
YizelTroJun 28, 2016 2:12 AM
Jun 28, 2016 2:10 AM

Jul 2015
The older art style just doesn't appeal to me to directly make me interested them, something that is key to catch my attention.

So I end up only watching the ones that I really heard good things about, and when I read the synopsis they looked interesting, so basically Great Teacher Onizuka and Serial Experiments Lain.

Anything else just falls flat to me for now.
Jun 28, 2016 2:11 AM
May 2015
^@tevens yeah, thats what i was talking, story doesnt matter to many viewers only the art matter :)
Jun 28, 2016 2:18 AM

Apr 2014
lets be extra frank here.

it is actually NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS if someone doesnt like something, end of story.

its really isnt your concern what their opinion is, so whats there to be angry about?
Jun 28, 2016 2:20 AM

Mar 2015
Newer anime have more elements of what I personally don't enjoy, because thats what the current target audience wants. Even then there are still some good newer shows. I'll never understand people who won't watch older anime or people who won't watch newer anime. I'll also never understand people who prefer the more plastic and shiny looking art in newer anime, but that's just my subjective preference.

orosan said:

it is actually NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS if someone doesnt like something, end of story.

its really isnt your concern what their opinion is, so whats there to be angry about?

Maybe it is none of my business if someone doesn't want to watch older anime. But that won't stop me from calling them out on how narrow minded they are, just calling them out doesn't mean i'm angry.
LancimusPrimeJun 28, 2016 2:26 AM
Jun 28, 2016 2:23 AM

May 2009
Who cares if they don't watch old anime. They're just missing out on the good shows. Isn't worth your anger you know?

ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα.

συκεροκυ™

Jun 28, 2016 2:40 AM

Apr 2014
MechaGuy said:
Newer anime have more elements of what I personally don't enjoy, because thats what the current target audience wants. Even then there are still some good newer shows. I'll never understand people who won't watch older anime or people who won't watch newer anime. I'll also never understand people who prefer the more plastic and shiny looking art in newer anime, but that's just my subjective preference.

orosan said:

Maybe it is none of my business if someone doesn't want to watch older anime. But that won't stop me from calling them out on how narrow minded they are, just calling them out doesn't mean i'm angry.

so if someone is totally open towards LGBT relationships but doesnt want to watch old animes because they dont like it, that makes them narrow minded? X'D

sometimes narrow minded has nothing to do with it, they just dont want to watch/do something because simply, they dont like it,thats all there is to it.
Jun 28, 2016 2:46 AM

Apr 2013
I can see why they don't so it is fine :>
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Jun 28, 2016 3:01 AM

Dec 2014
nucblus said:
romagia said:
how old is old?

Depends on the person. Some say 2004 and up, some 2006, and some can't watch anything more than five years old.
I thought old are before 00's, like HxH (1999), Cowboy Bebop, DBZ, and so on lol.

I happen to be one of them, the nowadays animations has set my standard high. So can't say much lol.

"Wielding one's blade out of duty alone is what it means to be a captain. Wielding one's blade out of hatred is nothing more than petty violence. That is not what we would consider battle."
Jun 28, 2016 3:13 AM

May 2016
Me!👋 I dont like old anime! And by old I meant pre-2000. The art style just turns off interest, especially when I look at current shows. I watch anime to enjoy myself, not to prove to people that I am open minded, so yeah... If I dont like it, its not enjoyable, end of story. Thats not to say I diss people who do like it. I mean, GTO and evangelon were pretty fun.
Jun 28, 2016 3:21 AM
May 2015
gladisr said:
It is fine, as long as they're honest, not a mere hypocrite.
If you doesn't like old anime then found a topic like...
"Are you that guy who judge anime by it's animation?" No, story/plot are more important for me. Blablabla

Then thank you, standing ovation from me. *applause*
THIS......................................................
Jun 28, 2016 3:41 AM
Sep 2011
Cause watching old animation and art bring cancer to my eyes

It's like watching garbage can
Jun 28, 2016 3:45 AM
Dec 2015
I personally don't watch anime that aired under 2004. Their art is not my type.
Jun 28, 2016 3:47 AM

Mar 2015
orosan said:
MechaGuy said:

so if someone is totally open towards LGBT relationships but doesnt want to watch old animes because they dont like it, that makes them narrow minded? X'D

sometimes narrow minded has nothing to do with it, they just dont want to watch/do something because simply, they dont like it,thats all there is to it.

Where did LGBT come from holy shit, I meant narrow minded about anime. Not liking a whole part of things just because it's old is being narrow minded and there is no denying it.
Jun 28, 2016 3:55 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
If I find an older anime that interests me enough, I'd have no issue watching it, but I mostly look for SoL and harem and stuff that people will bite my head off for liking. Older anime doesn't provide those things in near the quantity of modern anime and thus I tend to stick to newer anime. I still wanna watch Urusei Yatsura one day, though :V

Jun 28, 2016 4:02 AM

Feb 2016
Three of my top favourite anime can be considered "old anime". Nevertheless, I am not a fan of the character face design/style in many of the "old anime". I would assume many people dislike them for this reason.
Jun 28, 2016 4:24 AM

Feb 2016
Duck_knight said:
Cause watching old animation and art bring cancer to my eyes

It's like watching garbage can

LOL. like this post.

also if i miss the great storylines, i can read the manga, books, and other reviews out there without watching the old animation that i dont like
Jun 28, 2016 10:19 AM

Jun 2009
Z-Dante said:
I happen to be one of those people. I couldn't even enjoy Code Geass fully just because how the art looks.

Code Geass is hardly a old anime. It's still modern.
Jun 28, 2016 10:42 AM

Oct 2013
If its early 2000's then its stupid to not watch coz its "old"

90's is still good.

80's and 70's I just fall asleep to em so I've concluded I just won't like em. Then again, I like Future Boy Conan so maybe others I'll like too but I won't be Checkin any time soon.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Jun 28, 2016 10:52 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
pfft, replied to a two year old post here

I prefer newer anime to older anime because it tends to have the kind of stuff I look for in much greater abundance than anime did in previous decades. The animation itself also tends to be more visually appealing when it comes to little things like polish and shine. The eyes are brighter, the hair looks more sparkly and clean, so forth. Older anime tended to be a lot more grounded with its character designs from what I can see, and while the animation looks like it could be more fluid than modern anime at times the art style is boring to me.

That being said, what generally causes disinterest in older anime for me is the premises and presentation moreso than anything. They tend to be much bigger in scope and action-y than what I look for. There's a few older anime I'm interested in but I don't make it a point to look through them for ones to try and watch because I'd be looking through a lot more stuff that just doesn't really hold much appeal to me.
ManabanJun 28, 2016 10:57 AM

Jun 28, 2016 11:00 AM

Nov 2015
I feel sorry for them.

The only difference between anime today and back then is the production quality.
Also considering the fact that only the absolute best from that time stick out today, trying out an older anime means higher probability of you stumbling upon a goldmine..
Jun 28, 2016 11:00 AM
Oct 2013
I'm one of those people who stray away from old anime. I can't stand the animation.
Jun 28, 2016 12:14 PM

Jun 2009
I still don't like it when people won't watch something with old animation. Once you get past it, there is always a good story to be told. It's reminds me how people won't play video games with old graphics. People should always give things a chance.
Jun 28, 2016 2:47 PM

Nov 2011
If people don't like old anime their loss. I'm tired of caring about this issue. They say it's because of bad art or animation but honestly this is a reason I have trouble watching a lot of newer anime particularly Moe stuff it's too ugly and bland to me. Honestly I think it has more to do with ani just don't want to watch anything old mentality.
Pages (20) « First ... « 17 18 [19] 20 »

More topics from this board

» Is it possible to recommend 2000s Anime to kids nowadays?

Dragevard - 20 minutes ago

4 by Mayahuel »»
20 seconds ago

» your most favorited favorite character vs. your least favorited favorite character ( 1 2 )

bucciest - Oct 26, 2022

97 by AverageRiceFan »»
3 minutes ago

» What makes an ISEKAI enjoyable for ya?

JaaShooUhh - Yesterday

27 by rohan121 »»
3 minutes ago

» What are your favorite characters that aren't a part of your favorite anime? ( 1 2 )

SleepySimoon - Oct 27, 2021

84 by AverageRiceFan »»
5 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 27

92 by Shizuna »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.