Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 11, 2015 1:58 PM

Jul 2012
matias067 said:
Also very hot Yuriika stripping Kureha.

Hot? I thought it was terrifying. Everything about that scene gave it a ton of intensity and tension. The entire time I was thinking, "No! Don't do it! Stop!" for both Kureha's and Yuriika's sakes.
You can also find me at:
Wordpress
Tumblr
Mar 11, 2015 2:51 PM

Oct 2012

http://3xqbm2dgflv86yaj1p5u-gcdn.sova.bz/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/10/91.jpg

If you look really, really closely, those flowers on Kureha's panties are Camellia
japonica, with the Japanese name "Tsubaki", written in Kanji as 椿. That kanji is
the first one in Kureha's two-kanji family name: 椿輝. If you look around Kureha's
house, there are Tsubakis almost everywhere. Even her hunting rifle has a Tsubaki
painted on it. So apparently, that flower is kind of a family crest.

In her great review of Episode 9 on Anime News Network (pointed out by Sejin),
Gabriella Ekens commented that, "Kureha's assault was also (I believe) the first
time we've seen a main character's underpants."

- - - - - - -

Since Ginko was killed in Episode 9, the Swallowtail Patisserie decided it was the
perfect time to announce their new sweet delectable creation which appears to
be Ginko's head on a platter, called "Delicious Smell Cake". Its ingredients include
milk, eggs, wheat flour, beans, chocolate and banana essence. 750 Yen with tax.

. .Delicious Smell Cake
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_y8LEGUYAA7Lld.jpg

Tweet: https://twitter.com/kbooks_collabo/status/575541751462641667
http://www.patisserie-swallowtail.jp/collaboration/event/2015_yurikuma/
okanaganMar 11, 2015 4:33 PM
Mar 12, 2015 3:55 AM

Jul 2007
Sejin said:
matias067 said:
Also very hot Yuriika stripping Kureha.

Hot? I thought it was terrifying. Everything about that scene gave it a ton of intensity and tension. The entire time I was thinking, "No! Don't do it! Stop!" for both Kureha's and Yuriika's sakes.

Yep. It was LITERALLY a rape metaphor.
The only justifiable reaction to that is "ewww"
Mar 12, 2015 7:52 AM

Feb 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
Actually I think we have seen what the court could do. Ginko told Lulu she was a criminal bear, this meant that she had already been to the real world to find Kureha and allowed Sumika to die. So this suggests that that the court banished her back to the world of bears, however they allowed Sumika to return because this was now Lulu's wish (that Sumika's wish could become true). Sumika found a loophole.

Are you talking about time travel? Does it have to do with Episode 9 particularly? Because I don't catch what you say but it might be because I couldn't watch it yet.
"Ginko told Lulu she was a criminal bear, this meant that she had already been to the real world to find Kureha and allowed Sumika to die."

Considering what we see from Ep. 1 to 8, theres no accurate evidence that shows that she had already been there once and allowed Sumika to die (unless you're talking about time travel). She called herself a criminal bear but without further explanation, so we don't really know what she actually has done. I wonder if they really consider Sumika's death anything criminal, since "bears eat humans" (Ginko and Lulu said they specifically eat invisible girls, wasn't Sumika about to become or already one by the time she died?). Thats why I asked this thing about time travel or "time perception" which is another thing I don't really get.

"...however they allowed SUMIKA to return because this was now Lulu's wish (that SUMIKA's wish could become true). SUMIKA found a loophole."

Are you talking about Ginko or really Sumika?

Takuan_Soho said:
Now I know that this screws with the continuity in that we saw the two sleeping next to each other when Sumika was killed, however the continuity of this show has been out of whack from the beginning (for instance Kureha forgetting Ginko even though Ginko should have still been there), so obviously someone is messing with the time stream.

Kureha forgetting about Ginko doesn't meants EXACTLY that someone is pulling the strings from behind. I thought it was rather a natural process, since its not uncommon to forget about childhood friends or memory loss (This happened to me for example). At the same time she could have naturally forgotten about Ginko, someone could have "put a spell" instead. Unless Ep. 9 changes the flow of things.

To sum up, I didn't really got most of what you said, your post looks a lot more like speculations than "actual facts".
Mar 12, 2015 8:35 AM

Jul 2007
surfboard_ said:

Kureha forgetting about Ginko doesn't meants EXACTLY that someone is pulling the strings from behind. I thought it was rather a natural process, since its not uncommon to forget about childhood friends or memory loss (This happened to me for example). At the same time she could have naturally forgotten about Ginko, someone could have "put a spell" instead. Unless Ep. 9 changes the flow of things.

To sum up, I didn't really got most of what you said, your post looks a lot more like speculations than "actual facts".

Not natural for sure.

While the rest of Takuan Soho post is bullsht, this part is sort of valid - even her mother went WTF at her not remembering Ginko.
Mar 12, 2015 8:57 AM

Feb 2014
CookingPriest said:
Not natural for sure.
[...]even her mother went WTF at her not remembering Ginko.

Lacks clear proof. Its not that I don't see your point, its very plausible and easy to go into that conclusion. I contemplated the same thought specially because of her mother's reaction, but its not like we can place each piece to finish a puzzle all the time, as many and varied reasons that have nothing to do with the story can happen. I speculated that it could have been a "natural process" of memory loss, but it can not be one or the other, it could be something else we didn't even thought about.
Kureha's losing memory of Ginko could also have been due to someone behind the curtains so we could make a big puzzle out of this little fact, but SO FAR its not defined, so speculations is the only healthy choice for today's court.
You're probably very aware of what I said, but I kind of felt the need to state that... to avoid big waste of time (I already think that discussing this show is a waste but well...)
Mar 12, 2015 11:42 AM
Oct 2012
CookingPriest said:
While the rest of Takuan Soho post is bullsht, this part is sort of valid - even her mother went WTF at her not remembering Ginko.

Nope, everything I said is in line with the animation. According to Yurika's memory she killed Kureha's mother immediately after the mother sent Ginko back to the bear world, but we also saw the mother reading the book to Kureha and expressing amazement that Kureha had forgotten Ginko which implies that she lived some time after Ginko left (at least long enough to write the book).

Those two memories don't add up

Likewise in Ginko's back story she told Lulu when they first met that she was a criminal bear, but the two crimes that Ginko is guilty of both occurred AFTER she met Lulu.

So again the memories don't add up.

So either someone is tampering with time, or someone is tampering with memories. I originally thought the former, but now believe that the latter is more likely because both of these memory gaps touch upon the four characters who have had interaction with the court (Kureha, Ginko, Lulu, and Yurika).

My guess is we will discover that in exchange for the court violating the wall of separation, they take away the memory associated with the matter before the court as a test of that matter. E.g. Kureha loved Ginko and wanted her to challenge the wall of separation, she claimed that her love was true, so the court is testing her by taking away her memory to prove that her love is true (because "truth" is true regardless of what one thinks), the same thing is true of the other three characters.

Either that is the explanation, or there is a whole lot of bad writing going on.
Mar 12, 2015 1:02 PM

Feb 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
According to Yurika's memory she killed Kureha's mother immediately after the mother sent Ginko back to the bear world, but we also saw the mother reading the book to Kureha and expressing amazement that Kureha had forgotten Ginko which implies that she lived some time after Ginko left (at least long enough to write the book).

Those two memories don't add up

Its not known how many time Ginko spent with Kureha, as well its not known how for how long she was in the human "world" before leaving to the bear "world". It could be enough for Kureha's mother starting to write the book before she left. Aside this, we don't even know how special Kureha actually considered Ginko to be back in time. MAYBE what she just said it but didn't had in mind what exactly it usually mean for us? Unfortunately, words can't convey 100% of real feelings and MAYBE its the situation in YKA.

Takuan_Soho said:
Likewise in Ginko's back story she told Lulu when they first met that she was a criminal bear, but the two crimes that Ginko is guilty of both occurred AFTER she met Lulu.

She didn't told Lulu what crime she commited in the past. Isn't it possible that she commited more crimes after she crossed the Wall with Lulu? Once a criminal you never know when to stop until real punishment.

Your conclusion can be right and make some sense for real, but "logic" and "facts" doesn't always walk together in our comprehension. Something completely different and devoid of logic could be around this fable-like show.

"...there is a whole lot of bad writing going on."

I don't see it as necessarily bad writing but simply ignoring time and space limits in order to go directly at the facts. Your opinion can also be whats actually going on.
Someone said Ikuhara wanted to do this a 2-cour show, so maybe he literally condensed everything and is just throwing the facts without considering that we'll question exactly when everything is happening or if the perceivance of memory of each one confronts with the other, remaining only facts.
Mar 12, 2015 5:07 PM
Oct 2012
surfboard said:
Aside this, we don't even know how special Kureha actually considered Ginko to be back in time.

Outside of course Kureha stating it, Yurika confirming it, and her mother obviously believing it to be true.

surfboard said:
She didn't told Lulu what crime she commited in the past. Isn't it possible that she commited more crimes after she crossed the Wall with Lulu? Once a criminal you never know when to stop until real punishment.

You sort of missed my point. She could have committed 1,000s of crimes AFTER she crossed the wall with Lulu, however it wouldn't have made her a "criminal" bear BEFORE meeting Lulu. As for the possibility of committing more crimes before, this episode made it clear what her crimes were, and they occurred AFTER meeting Lulu. If she did something BEFORE, then the story should have covered before this episode. Otherwise it is just a cheap gimmick, which is the hallmark of bad writing. Its like relying on an extended series of coincidences in a story.

surfboard said:
I don't see it as necessarily bad writing but simply ignoring time and space limits in order to go directly at the facts.

Sure, but the writer should make it clear that he is ignoring time and space limits. Lewis Carroll made it clear he was writing nonsense, hence when he makes Alice big or small it is not a problem. But here the writer went out of his way to create a contradiction, so he has to either resolve it, or show why it doesn't matter. Failing to do either is bad writing.

surfboard said:
Someone said Ikuhara wanted to do this a 2-cour show, so maybe he literally condensed everything and is just throwing the facts without considering that we'll question exactly when everything is happening or if the perceivance of memory of each one confronts with the other, remaining only facts.

While one may find that an adequate reason for there being bad writing, it doesn't take away from the fact that it IS bad writing.

Now of course I don't think Ikuhara is a bad writer, and god knows that he can pull a wicked twist out of his bag that makes my theories look silly in retrospect, but at this point, given what the show has shown us, my theory best explains the story. If you think otherwise, then by all means, lets hear the theory.
Mar 12, 2015 7:10 PM

Feb 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
Outside of course Kureha stating it, Yurika confirming it, and her mother obviously believing it to be true.

Just make sure not to ignore what comes after: [i]MAYBE her definition of "beloved" and "special" people doesn't have the same depth of what we think of it, which goes with the whole perception thing. Unfortunately, words can't convey what you exactly feel or think.

Takuan_Soho said:
You sort of missed my point. She could have committed 1,000s of crimes AFTER she crossed the wall with Lulu, however it wouldn't have made her a "criminal" bear BEFORE meeting Lulu. As for the possibility of committing more crimes before, this episode made it clear what her crimes were, and they occurred AFTER meeting Lulu. If she did something BEFORE, then the story should have covered before this episode. Otherwise it is just a cheap gimmick, which is the hallmark of bad writing. Its like relying on an extended series of coincidences in a story.

In that case I suspected you're either speculating or confusing yourself (or its just me in the wrong). First, she was already a criminal bear before meeting Lulu for reasons unknown (source: herself in Ep.4 I think). After she crossed the wall she apparently commited more (like you are saying and we saw something in Ep. 5/6, can't remember exactly). Unless said in Episode 9 (which I couldn't watch and don't know when I'll be able to), her recent crimes have nothing to do with what she did in the past when she met Lulu. And nobody is forced to cover what she did before if its not relevant, specially when theres not enough time as things are being conducted in a faster pace than in the previous episodes.

Takuan_Soho said:
Sure, but the writer should make it clear that he is ignoring time and space limits. Lewis Carroll made it clear he was writing nonsense, hence when he makes Alice big or small it is not a problem. But here the writer went out of his way to create a contradiction, so he has to either resolve it, or show why it doesn't matter. Failing to do either is bad writing.

Its confusing and troubling for some people, I don't think he is actually forced to do that but not doing will just end in a restriction of public watching it. I think some parts were not really thought as a whole but made for the mood and I don't think it will make much sense once the show finish, but for the sake of character development, I think a second season should happen, and I think they are trying to make that possible considering their effort outside the studio.

Takuan_Soho said:
While one may find that an adequate reason for there being bad writing, it doesn't take away from the fact that it IS bad writing.

No artist is invulnerable of mediocrity. Ikuhara never directed a 1-cour show before, maybe he got lost in his own ideas and ended up with it, or maybe he is just too old for this. Compare the first 3 episodes with the rest, they are a lot more abstract than what comes after and I suspect it would remain in that path had sales not gone bad or people going nuts.

Takuan_Soho said:
[...] but at this point, given what the show has shown us, my theory best explains the story. If you think otherwise, then by all means, lets hear the theory.

I don't think correct theories is anything to be proud of or to boast on. Are you actually learning something or improving yourself over it? This is something I ask myself when I see all the fandom and discussion in anime boards.
And no, I don't have any theory. I happen to be curious to see what people think about each episode, but outside MAL I don't think about this show at all.
surfboard_Mar 12, 2015 7:17 PM
Mar 12, 2015 8:03 PM
Oct 2012
surfboard_ said:
In that case I suspected you're either speculating or confusing yourself (or its just me in the wrong). First, she was already a criminal bear before meeting Lulu for reasons unknown (source: herself in Ep.4 I think). After she crossed the wall she apparently commited more (like you are saying and we saw something in Ep. 5/6, can't remember exactly).

This is where bad writing may be at play. The last two episodes made it clear that the crime Ginko mentioned to Lulu was allowing Sumika to be eaten. So either the writer forgot that he had Ginko mention this to Lulu, or he spent roughly 40 minutes of this animation wasting our time, or there is something behind the seeming error. Because I respect the writer I am assuming the latter, I think this assumption is supported because there have been two of these (the first is between Ginko and Lulu, the second is between Kureha and Yurika).

As for Kureha's feelings. I agree that we don't know what they are exactly, but we do know that she felt something and is extremely puzzled that she forgot what it was. This is why I don't think repression is a work, she wants to remember, but something is keeping her from remembering. I had noted that a couple of episodes ago, but then I thought that perhaps Yurika was responsible, with Yurika dead it leaves only the court with the seeming ability to do it.

surfboard_ said:
Unless said in Episode 9 (which I couldn't watch and don't know when I'll be able to)

Ah, that explains it. You need to watch 9, it was pivotal in many ways.

surfboard_ said:
I don't think correct theories is anything to be proud of or to boast on. Are you actually learning something or improving yourself over it? This is something I ask myself when I see all the fandom and discussion in anime boards.

First, I like to theorize because it is fun. I like trying to figure out where a story is going. I have often been utterly wrong, but I don't get upset at being wrong: either it means that writer did something better, so I appreciate their talent more, or it means that they did something worse, and at least I have my imagination to comfort me from watching a bad show.

Second I do it because it causes me to pay more attention than I otherwise would. Again this increases my appreciation of the talent of a good writer. So in short I do it because its enjoyable.

Third I love to argue with people. I write here because I hope people will prove me wrong. This would 1) prove that people love animation as much as I do, and 2) only through being wrong can someone actually learn something. I WANT people to come up with a better theory, its the only way I can grow. So ground my face in something I overlooked, far from being better I would actually thank the person for doing it. Its boring to be right.
Mar 14, 2015 4:42 AM

Jan 2013
Yurizono best girl from the show
Mar 14, 2015 6:54 PM

Oct 2012
The usual 3½-line mini-synopsis for Episode 10 has recently been posted here:
http://yurikuma.jp/story.html

Last week, they showed us four still images when the mini-synopsis was posted.
This week, there aren't any images, so far. Based on previous weeks, they may
post some still images there closer to the time that the episode airs.

The title of Episode 10 is simple and easy to translate:

I don't think it is a plot spoiler to let you know that one of the characters who will
play a significant role in Episode 10 is somebody familiar:

- - - - - - - - - -

Those of you who are offended by the sexualization of Yurikuma characters in
licensed merchandise should probably not look at this news story in Animate.TV
announcing cellphone straps soon going on sale showing Kureha, Ginko and Lulu:
http://www.animate.tv/news/details.php?id=1426059326

In Occultangle's translation of the conversation among the three main voice
actresses in Episode 8.5, Kureha complained that there was no merchandise of
her. But this time, Kureha is listed first. Possibly, her phonestrap looks the best.
okanaganMar 15, 2015 8:41 PM
Mar 15, 2015 5:05 AM

Jan 2015
okanagan said:
The usual 3½-line mini-synopsis for Episode 10 has recently been posted here:
http://yurikuma.jp/story.html

Last week, they showed us four still images when the mini-synopsis was posted.
This week, there aren't any images, so far. Based on previous weeks, they may
post some still images there closer to the time that the episode airs.

The title of Episode 10 is simple and easy to translate:

I don't think it is a plot spoiler to let you know that one of the characters who will
play a significant role in Episode 10 is somebody familiar:

- - - - - - - - - -

Those of you who are offended by the sexualization of Yurikuma characters in
licensed merchandise should probably not look at this news story in Animate.TV
announcing cellphone straps soon going on sale showing Kureha, Ginko and Lulu:
http://www.animate.tv/news/details.php?id=1426059326

In Occultangle's translation of the conversation among the three main voice
actresses in Episode 8.5, Kureha complained that there was no merchandise of
her. But this time, Kureha is listed first. Possibly, her phonestrap looks the best.

Thank you! You are very useful every time! i love you :D. Thank you very much for your work that you do for the community :)
Mar 15, 2015 7:58 PM

Oct 2012

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/aaieba149/imgs/0/a/0aefdc0b.jpg

Life Sexy: "Should I put another coin in? ... Shabadadu ..."
Mar 16, 2015 6:02 AM

Jan 2015
Guys, i understood from this ep when kureha in the first three episode says "...Tōmei na Arashi o sagasu", becuase now she is in the invisible storm and it means that she is searching something!
Mar 16, 2015 2:31 PM

Sep 2014
Shaba-da-doo indeed.
Mar 22, 2015 10:19 AM

Jul 2009
I wonder what Kureha saw inside the box...
Apr 7, 2015 8:11 AM

Jan 2014
Nice. Kept my attention for 24mins :)
May 6, 2015 7:05 AM
Jun 2013
MuruManu said:
Yurizono best girl from the show

Totally agree
Aug 19, 2015 11:35 PM

Oct 2013
It looks like they're almost there... for that is sexy, shaba-da-doo.

CookingPriest said:
Also MANY hints at the idea of the Court of Severance being the main villains(as well as confirmation to them being the male otaku viewers that "enforce" what is sexy and what is cool in yuri, etc).

Very insightful observation

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Nov 29, 2017 5:48 AM

Apr 2013
This show since episode 6 has gotten so boring!
Aug 22, 2019 9:42 AM

Aug 2017
It's pretty sad that during her last moments, Yuriika mistook Kureha for Reia. That's how alike they were.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2015

161 by zoluer »»
Aug 9, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2015

107 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:44 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 19, 2015

140 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:14 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2015

194 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 8:57 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 5, 2015

417 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 8:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.