Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 30, 2015 8:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Arrested? Oh shit..and we get some yuri trials as well.

It was a pretty fun episode and series overall. We also get a bit of Sumika but with angel wings. Interesting. Also, a show with Yuri in its title can't be complete without a lovely kiss right?

Mar 30, 2015 9:09 AM

Apr 2012
It was beautiful.

Now how many years do I have to wait for the next Ikuhara masterpiece.
Mar 30, 2015 9:51 AM

Dec 2013
AOTS, amirite?
Mar 30, 2015 10:18 AM
Jun 2013
Even the "worst" Ikuhara show deserves to be called the anime of the season (not counting Shirobako, Jojos, or Durarara!!x2). It was so fun so far.
And from the spoilers:
I always had a suspicion that Sumika was indeed Kumaria-sama, is it?
YanohayShellyMar 30, 2015 10:42 AM
Mar 30, 2015 10:35 AM
Oct 2012
Best part for me was the ending. The haters continue to hate finding new reasons, and the one girl just quietly stands up and leaves them, going to find the left over and discarded bear. Wonderful scene there.

Change will not come in mass, it is about converting people one by one, a spark that becomes a flame and later a inferno. The change has started.

Nice that Lulu got her love back as well. Nice happy ending.
Mar 30, 2015 10:53 AM

Oct 2012
occultangle asked:
Now how many years do I have to wait for the next Ikuhara masterpiece.

I guess I'll suggest that you don't hold your breath for a second cour to come out.

On the other hand, if you have fallen in love with the universe which Ikuhara has
created then there is Volume 1 of the manga titled "Yurikuma Arashi":

バーズコミックス「ユリ熊嵐」1巻
Image of the manga cover: http://yurikuma.jp/images/products/menu/books/001/p_001.png
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%A6%E3%83%AA%E7%86%8A%E5%B5%90-1-%E3%83%90%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BA%E3%82%B3%E3%83%9F%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B9-%E6%A3%AE%E5%B3%B6-%E6%98%8E%E5%AD%90/dp/4344832566

In addition, there is a novelization, simply titled "Yurikuma Arashi First Half",
which went on sale back on January 19th:

ノベライズ ユリ熊嵐 上
Image of the novel cover: http://yurikuma.jp/images/products/menu/books/j_002.jpg
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%A6%E3%83%AA%E7%86%8A%E5%B5%90-%E4%B8%8A-%E4%BC%8A%E7%A5%9E%E8%B2%B4%E4%B8%96-%E9%AB%98%E6%A9%8B-%E5%B9%BE%E5%8E%9F%E9%82%A6%E5%BD%A6/dp/4344833341

Ikuhara is the third of the three co-authors of the novel, so it is certainly his work.
In fact, the second half of the novelization titled "Yurikuma Arashi Second Half"
goes on sale in Japan tomorrow:

ノベライズ ユリ熊嵐 下
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%A6%E3%83%AA%E7%86%8A%E5%B5%90-%E4%B8%8B-%E4%BC%8A%E7%A5%9E%E8%B2%B4%E4%B8%96-%E9%AB%98%E6%A9%8B-%E5%B9%BE%E5%8E%9F%E9%82%A6%E5%BD%A6/dp/4344834003/ref=pd_sim_b_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1VZVR8PE3FVDM387R70D

I have no idea if or when any of this will get translated into other languages.
okanaganMar 30, 2015 11:03 AM
Mar 30, 2015 11:59 AM

May 2013
I had a feeling Kureha was gonna wish to become a bear. I liked this last episode.
Mar 30, 2015 12:04 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Best part of the episode was the scene with Lulu and her little brother....That was really cute :'')

Sucks that those school girls didn't die tho......Anyway, I'm happy for Ginko and Kureha....Sumika being Lady Kumalia caught me by surprise =o

Overall the series has been pretty fun but there were other things this season that were better (JoJo, AssClass, DRRR, GBFT, Junketsu no Maria and Death Parade just to name a few)

7/10
Mar 30, 2015 12:07 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Terrible anime but at least this ending was surprisingly good

Was going to give it 3 or 4 but I think it may deserve a 5 with that
Mar 30, 2015 12:07 PM
Aug 2009
The ending was slightly predictable but it was quite a good episode and the series as well. It was the only series for two last seasons I scored the highest.
Mar 30, 2015 12:10 PM

Jan 2015
HaXXspetten said:

Ahahahah what? Are you serious? Please come back to watch Idolm@ster, lol.

That was a great ending 9/10.

Overall: 10/10
Mar 30, 2015 12:17 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Xenocrisi said:
HaXXspetten said:

Ahahahah what? Are you serious? Please come back to watch Idolm@ster, lol.
Cinderella Girls has also been pretty terrible compared to the original series I'm afraid :/
Mar 30, 2015 12:22 PM

Jul 2007
Brilliant episode containing the exact messages I talked about.

The world with severance has excluded them but the world is just perception and the world changes depending on how you perceive it.

So even if the two don't exist to the world that excludes those who are different, they exist in the world that does not.

The world that excludes continues to be but the two are beyond caring about appearances or society's "rules" and have discarded it. You can't suddenly eradicate homophobia but by accepting who they are, Kureha and Ginko have "excluded" it from their perception of the world.

10/10
Mar 30, 2015 12:24 PM
Sep 2011
Tokoya said:

Sucks that those school girls didn't die tho......Anyway, I'm happy for Ginko and Kureha....Sumika being Lady Kumalia caught me by surprise =o

Happy? Did you watch the same ending I did? Kureha and Ginko DIED. Like...they got executed by firing squad for their love, and everything they worked towards was destroyed. Life went back to normal, the Judgemen returned, and another girl appeared who will likely follow down the same path.
If I had to pick any quote to summarise the ending I'd quote Sumika from episode 1 when she said, "The Invisible Storm destroys the beautiful things first".

Honestly compared to Penguindrum I'd say I'm quite underwhelmed by how ordinary the ending was. I mean it ended exactly how I thought it would on a very sad note and although I do think it was a brilliant ending I am sad it didn't reach the heights of that show.
With that said even if I don't love this show as much as Penguindrum, I still view it as Anime of the Season, and I don't see anything topping. I loved pretty much everything about it and my main complaint is simply that I wish there was more.

IKUHARA/10

(Note: Reading some more forum posts I see some happier interpretations of what happened, however from the fact we see Lulu and her brother together and upon further reading I may change my thoughts on the ending. But for now I am assuming worst case scenario.)
edl01Mar 30, 2015 12:27 PM
Mar 30, 2015 12:26 PM

Jul 2007
edl01 said:
Tokoya said:

Happy? Did you watch the same ending I did? Kureha and Ginko DIED. Like...they got executed by firing squad for their love, and everything they worked towards was destroyed. Life went back to normal, the Judgemen returned, and another girl appeared who will likely follow down the same path.
If I had to pick any quote to summarise the ending I'd quote Sumika from episode 1 when she said, "The Invisible Storm destroys the beautiful things first".

Honestly compared to Penguindrum I'd say I'm quite underwhelmed by how ordinary the ending was. I mean it ended exactly how I thought it would on a very sad note and although I do think it was a brilliant ending I am sad it didn't reach the heights of that show.
With that said even if I don't love this show as much as Penguindrum, I still view it as Anime of the Season, and I don't see anything topping. I loved pretty much everything about it and my main complaint is simply that I wish there was more.

IKUHARA/10

They did not die. Well they DIED metaphorically to the society that excludes those different.
They got excluded by society.

But they live on because even if you say "you are dead to me" to someone who is different, they only stop existing for you.

And yeah, the moon girls and the forest girls will keep appearing and going through t he same trials till they accept who they are and disappear from being a part of the world that excludes.

That is how it is in the real world too.
Mar 30, 2015 12:34 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Wow, that was a sick finale. I thought for a short time in the series that Sumika might be Kumalia, but the confirmation caught me by surprise. Prejudice and discrimination will never be completely gone, but people can be inspired and change for the better. That was a great scene at the end.

8,5/10 (9)
Mar 30, 2015 12:43 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
CookingPriest said:
edl01 said:

IKUHARA/10

They did not die. Well they DIED metaphorically to the society that excludes those different.

But they live on because even if you say "you are dead to me" to someone who is different, they only stop existing for you.

And yeah, the moon girls and the forest girls will keep appearing and going through t he same trials till they accept who they are and disappear from being a part of the world that excludes.

This

Well said CP
Mar 30, 2015 12:44 PM
Sep 2011
CookingPriest said:
edl01 said:

IKUHARA/10

It really does come down to how much of the world you view as metaphor. While watching the show I always assumed being excluded attributed the same thing as dying. After all Lulu was excluded and at the end we see her with her brother I'm almost positive is dead. But as always with Ikuhara's there's many ways to interpret everything and he certainly isn't gonna tell use the right answer ;'(

Penguindrum spoilers:
Mar 30, 2015 12:48 PM
Oct 2012
Kureha's sin was perfect, and Judgement proved to be perfect as well. It was Kureha who gave up on true love in wanting Ginko to become human. You cannot find love by demanding that the other person change, you can only change and hope the loved one changes on her own. Kureha's sin was that she thought that she knew what was best for Ginko. That isn't love.

Because of that, the court took away the selfish love until Kureha could understand what true love was, when she did both her and Ginko's wishes became true, and in that regard so did Lulu's.

edl01 said:
Did you watch the same ending I did? Kureha and Ginko DIED. Like...they got executed by firing squad for their love, and everything they worked towards was destroyed.

Uhm, no. They did not die. The only person who saw what happened knows that they were not killed. Likewise Lulu knows that they are not dead (in fulfillment of her wish, both she and her brother were brought back by Kumaria).

edl01 said:
Life went back to normal,
Which is to be expected. But the bears are now the new normal, the invisible storm is off trying to find a "new evil" to ostracized. That was what that one girl understood, nothing was ever going to change with them, if not bears, then people with left hands or what not. Most people will demand conformity, only people willing to stand up can change this.

edl01 said:
and another girl appeared who will likely follow down the same path.

The other girl is "not following down the same path", she doesn't love the other bear in that way. She is a bit like St. Francis, she knows that the only way to stop the invisible storm is to bring ALL people into society, so she went out to rescue the outcast. In a way she is far greater than Kureha and Ginko, she is showing love of all bears, not just a particular one.

So really this was the proper ending for the series. It probably could have used a bit more time, but the ending was certainly happy.
Mar 30, 2015 12:53 PM
Jul 2012
I am going to miss this anime it was unexpectedly good overall.
Mar 30, 2015 12:54 PM

Sep 2011
[quote=edl01]It really does come down to how much of the world you view as metaphor. While watching the show I always assumed being excluded attributed the same thing as dying. After all Lulu was excluded and at the end we see her with her brother I'm almost positive is dead. But as always with Ikuhara's there's many ways to interpret everything and he certainly isn't gonna tell use the right answer ;'([quote]

In this show at least being excluded does not equate to death. Earlier on Sumika and Kureha were being excluded for their sins of standing out from the crowd and they certianly wern't dead then!
Mar 30, 2015 12:57 PM

Jul 2007
edl01 said:
CookingPriest said:

It really does come down to how much of the world you view as metaphor. While watching the show I always assumed being excluded attributed the same thing as dying. After all Lulu was excluded and at the end we see her with her brother I'm almost positive is dead. But as always with Ikuhara's there's many ways to interpret everything and he certainly isn't gonna tell use the right answer ;'(

Penguindrum spoilers:

It is al labout perception here.

If you see the NEXT "moon Girl" saw them as alive in that brief moment(because she was like them), while the rest of the "World that excludes" will continue seeing them dead.

The next "moon girl" got a glimpse into possiility of her on future, of breaking away from the orld that excludes and is ruled by invisiiblity
Mar 30, 2015 1:00 PM
Jul 2018
Kureha had wished to become a bear.

The ending was beautiful!
Mar 30, 2015 1:29 PM
Sep 2011
VanishingKira said:
I'll be sure to watch Mawaru Penguindrum at some point in the future cause I'm certain I'll like that unlike this.

4/10.

I doubt it, Ikuhara has a unique way of working and if you don't like thestyle of Yuri Kuma then I doubt you'll like his other shows. With that said I love Penguindrum and hopefully you will too if you ever watch it, however Ikuhara seems to be quite a divisive director.

CookingPriest said:

It is al labout perception here.

If you see the NEXT "moon Girl" saw them as alive in that brief moment(because she was like them), while the rest of the "World that excludes" will continue seeing them dead.

The next "moon girl" got a glimpse into possiility of her on future, of breaking away from the orld that excludes and is ruled by invisiiblity

Honestly I agree with you on essentially everything, except when I saw Kinko and Kureha walking up into the starry sky I acquainted it to when you see
[spoiler] Shouma and Kanba[/quote]walking against a starry background in Penguindrum, which in that show represented their deaths.

The other girl is another Moon Girl, and there will be more after her, because no matter how hard they try the invisible storm can never truly repress human sexuality, and the cycle will continue. It's a good ending that fits with all of the shows themes and wraps it up quite nicely.

Note: I may also be slightly bias because of the fact I went into expecting Ikuhara to kill the main characters, it's kind of his thing.
edl01Mar 30, 2015 1:46 PM
Mar 30, 2015 1:30 PM

Nov 2013
Really liked this show 8/10.
It reminded me of chaos head as it was similar in the sense that I really liked it but had no clue what was going on.
Going to miss it.
Mar 30, 2015 1:55 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Kureha's wishing to become a bear and Sumika turning out to be Lady Kumalia was quite surprising. I like how the court people fled once she appeared.

That kiss at the end was perfect! Lulu and Milne scene was pretty sweet too. :3

Overall, very good show and quite an underrated one at that. I guess the way they presented the concept was too confusing for people to comprehend? 7.5/10.

Mar 30, 2015 2:17 PM

Oct 2014
THEY KISSED THEY KISSED THEY KISSED!!! OH YES!!!

Sumika was Lady Kumalia - that surprised me :o

The short scene with Lulu and Milne was so sweet~

wonderful ending of a wonderful anime. 9/10
Holy Madoka! The Yuri is strong here!

My Anime List
Mar 30, 2015 2:19 PM

May 2012
Stuck around cause I thought (still think) the op was just amazing and came around to really liking this series. I thought it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be.

This last episode was just great imo. The way they had thier promise kiss and LuLu with her bro at the end. everything just felt right. Really good series overall.

7/10.
Mar 30, 2015 2:44 PM

Aug 2013
Yuri approved / 10
Mar 30, 2015 2:49 PM

May 2010
Great finale to a great series! Imo YKA is the best anime of 2015 so far. Sad to see it go.

Overall: 9/10
Mar 30, 2015 2:51 PM

Sep 2014
All Most of the symbolism went over my head, but the ending was pretty touching.
Mar 30, 2015 2:57 PM

Jun 2011
edl01 said:

IKUHARA/10

I double this, sadly enough.
We have to keep our dreams alive. Something to look forward to.
Mar 30, 2015 3:03 PM

Mar 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Kureha's sin was perfect, and Judgement proved to be perfect as well. It was Kureha who gave up on true love in wanting Ginko to become human. You cannot find love by demanding that the other person change, you can only change and hope the loved one changes on her own. Kureha's sin was that she thought that she knew what was best for Ginko. That isn't love.

Because of that, the court took away the selfish love until Kureha could understand what true love was, when she did both her and Ginko's wishes became true, and in that regard so did Lulu's.
This sums it up nicely.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Mar 30, 2015 3:16 PM

May 2013
Final episode, leggo.

Oh right, Lulu died. *sigh*

Deja vu.

Da hell Sumika.

WOAHHHHHHH didn't see that one coming at all!

Haha these adorable bears~

Aww pig-tailed girl's continuing the yuri legend.

Prince Milne <3

Satisfying ending. I'm still confused, but whatever.
Mar 30, 2015 3:20 PM
Jan 2009
What is the name of the girl with the black twin tails?

Mar 30, 2015 3:31 PM

Jul 2007
Zombat said:
What is the name of the girl with the black twin tails?

Uko Ai.

Which is fitting since Ai means love.
Mar 30, 2015 3:44 PM

Dec 2013
Great series. We need more like this with symbolism and intellect. 9/10

“You see, it is with your own love that the world awakens and changes.”

This entire show was just one massive over exaggeration of perception. Bears vs. human severance represents social norms (gender roles and homosexuality). The invisible storm is society’s disapproval in a more direct, confrontational manner. The Court of Severance is just our mind’s inner debate over right and wrong.

I love that Kureha wishes to become a bear. She realized that the only way to receive a promise kiss, was for herself to change, not forcing it upon Ginko.

By destroying themselves in the mirror, prejudicial boundaries are no more.

“death” is metaphorical. Does that just apply to the storm or also the bear attacks?

I'm still a little hazy to why Lady Kumalia was Sumika, or is that just another metaphor?
Kumalia is love. Kureha loved Sumika.
She finally appeared this time because Kureha's decision wasn't out of selfishness, but love.

mwsmws22Mar 30, 2015 4:22 PM
Mar 30, 2015 4:04 PM

May 2011
I enjoyed the anime, but that's it, i think this show wasn't near as good as mawaru penguindrum. I was expecting more but still a good series with nice yuri :D.
Score: 7/10
Mar 30, 2015 5:06 PM

Feb 2012
The two MCs "died" in the same way that Utena "died." They moved on from the restraints of social norms

In any case, I liked the reveal that kureha essentially wished for ginko to be straight in order to escape the clutches of exclusion. This was wrong of her because she believed she knew what was best for Ginko. In the end, she realized what had to happen was her to be real to herself and become a bear aka come out fully.
idontwannapostMar 30, 2015 5:16 PM
Mar 30, 2015 5:46 PM

Jan 2013
IKUHARA DOES IT AGAIN.

YURI APPROVED
Mar 30, 2015 5:56 PM

Oct 2008
jimjameswhatever said:
The two MCs "died" in the same way that Utena "died." They moved on from the restraints of social norms.

Actually I find the ending is very Utena-esque but with a happier -and some way with a less ambiguous- tone. I like it, but it is not so powerful like the endings of Utena and Penguindrum, where I found me crying and feel me weird about the fates of the characters. Here... not, only Lulu caught my attention since the first episodes :(

Good series, anyway. But I actively recommend watch the previous work of Ikuhara to see his better stories.
Mar 30, 2015 6:43 PM

Jun 2013
Beautiful ending to one of the most surprisingly great anime I've ever seen
10/10 :)
Mar 30, 2015 6:53 PM

Oct 2011
I had a feeling that Sumika was Kumalia. I believed I mentioned in the past threads.

Great ending
Mar 30, 2015 7:02 PM

Feb 2014
I had a feeling Kureha would make herself a bear! I'm happy with that ending <3 Beautifully done.
8/10
Mar 30, 2015 7:11 PM

Feb 2010
sumika is Kumalia! Didn't see that coming...
...does Kumalia pretends to be a normal person, and "fall in love" with Kureha,
or Kumalia just show up with the form that Kureha wants to see?

I guess Lulu is live in another form, just like her little brother...

...Kureha and Ginko didn't totally defeat those "invisible storm" member, nor destruct the system, but they do find the true love, choose what they want...what am I talking about...?

Never actually understand what this series means, but it looks cute and fabulous, and contains "yuri
...7/10
Mar 30, 2015 7:30 PM

Nov 2012
sOciety might have excluded them, but they exist for each other, which doesn't make the ending as bittersweet. I don't think there could be a better ending. Time however really did punish this anime considering how much of the plot continuity had to be shoved and less time for character development was had. I believe Utena was a success first and foremost because of the characters and their relations before the story and the plot. Who knows what this could've been had it more time to work on the characters
Mar 30, 2015 7:30 PM

Aug 2012
Man, this was pretty much perfect. All topics and concepts came full circle with a last minute revelation and subsequent answer that everything had been building up to. Throughout the show a lot of people weren't sold on Kureha's character because she still felt so unexplored and seemed to lack some characterization. I don't think anyone can say that now. The mystery around her memory loss and severe rejection of bears was the key to her character and the development she would need, and they executed that element perfectly in the end with the flashback and two trials. I'd say I'm impressed that they were able to wrap a character up so flawlessly in one episode like that, but it was done through endless foreshadowing and buildup.

Sad Lulu couldn't be with them, but it had to happen. I'm just happy Kumalia let her come back and share her love with Milne. I died when he said he could have just given her the Promise Kiss all along.

Ikuhara really balled out here and executed exactly what he was going for. Such a fun and engaging show, gonna miss it and I hope it gets more visible through us 'Moon Girls'.

mwsmws22 said:

I'm still a little hazy to why Lady Kumalia was Sumika, or is that just another metaphor?
Kumalia is love. Kureha loved Sumika.
She finally appeared this time because Kureha's decision wasn't out of selfishness, but love.

Along those lines, Kureha may have just perceived Kumalia as Sumika. Kumalia is the one who can give true love, and that's what Sumika was for Kureha. You can also take it as Kureha letting herself feel proud of her decision, knowing that Sumika does/would give her blessings to her love with Ginko.
Mar 30, 2015 7:38 PM

Dec 2014
If Mawaru Penguindrum is about the love between family members, then Yurikuma is about the love between individual. Just as expected the yuri element is just a placeholder for something more, ambitious. Like how Penguindrum starts with a seemingly incest story and later morphs into something bigger and different. No doubt that Ikuhara has lots of fetishes but at the end of the day, he still thinks outside the box.

Theme-wise and technicality speaking they're somewhat satisfying, it gets better near the end but some of the episodes from the first half and the middle is too straightforward for my liking, at least for me who is a huge enthusiast for stuff like "The Holy Mountain" and "Throw Away Your Books, Rally in the Streets" which Ikuhara admitted that he borrowed some of style from that film's director, which also has some influence on many anime directors' style including Shinbo's. Good drama overall. Now going to watch it in one sitting to see if Yurikuma can still retain my ユリ承認.
raveninthemuddleMar 30, 2015 8:38 PM
Mar 30, 2015 8:01 PM

Aug 2011
As a big Utena fan I must confess this sucked. And I did understand what the plot was about, I just found the narrative very unappealing.

Some great ideas were on the mix, but even if the ending was really nice I can't forgive the many many dull and boring moments, sorry.

» Escapism.

Mar 30, 2015 9:09 PM

Mar 2008
not much to say, 10/10 masterpiece
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2015

107 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:44 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 19, 2015

140 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:14 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2015

194 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 8:57 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 5, 2015

417 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 8:39 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 26, 2015

167 by sketchy12 »»
Apr 21, 2023 4:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.