Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Feb 21, 2015 12:02 PM
Mar 2013
I can't open the menu and I cant add anime to my list in the mobile form.
Feb 21, 2015 4:31 PM

Nov 2009
Normally I wouldn't complain about a crappy mobile site with limited functionality as long as an option to switch back to desktop mode is given, but the implementation of the former in this case has negatively affected the latter's layout and user-friendliness by causing all the words to be tiny and zoomed-out. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.
Feb 21, 2015 5:25 PM

Aug 2009
keldeokun said:
[...] the implementation of the former in this case has negatively affected the latter's layout and user-friendliness by causing all the words to be tiny and zoomed-out. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

I have to say that this is my biggest complaint as well. I dislike the mobile site, but that's not a problem as long as there's the desktop version. Or so I'd say if it weren't for this bring-me-my-magnifying-glass-everything-is-zoomed-out issue. It makes browsing MAL on a mobile device quite inconvenient and I eventually decided it's not worth it. So I stopped visiting the site on the tablet completely for the time being.
Feb 21, 2015 5:52 PM

Jul 2013
I really like the mobike version as it is easy to use and provides similar function to desktop version. However I cannot find a reply button and I have to use desktop version for this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 21, 2015 6:50 PM
Jan 2009
Wow, thanks! Looking forward to the progress this'll be making.
Feb 21, 2015 10:06 PM

Feb 2011
A few days ago I tried to update the number of the episode I watching on my list (tab currently watching) but I can't :(

Feb 21, 2015 11:08 PM

Aug 2010
I cant figure out how to get to my messages now.. I dont see the option on the mobile site and on the desktop site the profile tab wont open by my phone anymore... I may be the only one having this problem. But hopefully it gets fixed. Ill be patient just thought id mention it.
Feb 22, 2015 4:30 AM

Aug 2011
Just tried it, looks pretty good and is easy to use *-*
Feb 22, 2015 5:36 AM
Dec 2008
Nice! May I ask a question: Why JQuery instead of JQuery mobile?
Feb 22, 2015 6:04 AM
Oct 2012
sakura010 said:
A few days ago I tried to update the number of the episode I watching on my list (tab currently watching) but I can't :(

Please, someone fix that! =(
Feb 22, 2015 8:28 AM

Jul 2014
im having a problem...when is request to deskop site, my browser just crash :/
and no my smarthphone isnt old or slow -.-
what can i do??

Feb 22, 2015 8:38 AM

Aug 2014
cool....
Feb 22, 2015 9:09 AM

Dec 2012
I can't find out how to add anime from my list

Feb 22, 2015 9:27 AM

Jun 2014
Cool!! Now also update the Desktop site to Latest Modern UI
Like I Care.... The World's Gonna End anyway

Feb 22, 2015 10:56 AM

Sep 2013
personally i still prefer the desktop site still tho
Feb 22, 2015 3:19 PM
Jan 2015
The new mobile site looks good but with more improvement it will function even better!
Feb 22, 2015 4:22 PM

Jan 2014
niiice :)
Feb 22, 2015 4:59 PM
Dec 2014
It looks great, I give you credit for that. With more functionality, it will be even better!
Feb 22, 2015 5:51 PM

Jan 2012
Material Design would be great, especially if you allow it to change the status bar to blue when viewed in an Android browser. Also, any ETA on replying to forum posts on mobile? Api's for replying on mobile?
Feb 22, 2015 5:53 PM

Nov 2010
velkro16 said:
Material Design would be great, especially if you allow it to change the status bar to blue when viewed in an Android browser. Also, any ETA on replying to forum posts on mobile? Api's for replying on mobile?
Read the OP.
Feb 23, 2015 4:19 AM

Jan 2015
Cool. I tried out the mobile site yesterday.

Although some important features are missing, it looks pretty nice.
I hope the list edit/update feature will get released soon.
Feb 23, 2015 6:05 AM

Dec 2014
--------------- said:
The "Quick Reply" is missing.
Feb 23, 2015 7:26 AM

Nov 2010
Sakuhanna said:
--------------- said:
The "Quick Reply" is missing.
IntroverTurtle said:
Read the OP.
Feb 23, 2015 12:15 PM

Dec 2009
I tried it last week, while stuck on mobile. I can honestly say. I'm not very fond of it. It was alright, just not one I wish to ever use, again.

I liked that you guys took an idea from the mobile version of Wikipedia with putting things under drop down bars, and I liked that it still resembled the main site, for that made it a little less uncomfortable to use.

However, I did not like that the share features were so in your face. For every anime or manga title I went to the share features were like a blaring eyesore to the point where I wish I had the ability to disable them. (Can we have that feature, for I'm also not liking the annoying Facebook like, or g+ follow right there at the side of the sites name. Get rid of them please!) I'm not fond of social media, and see no reason why they need to be so in your face. If they were small and unnoticeable, I wouldn't mind so much.

I also didn't like that my forum topics were shown to me on my panel when I login. I hated that. I don't see why I need to see my forum posts. I didn't want to. I don't have to on the desktop version (which I adore using), so I don't see why you would need to show them at all.

I also didn't like the "Request Mobile" tag beside the site's name either. (As I hate the whole facebook and g+ thing being beside it now).

Given this, I've decided to show you guys a mobile site that I truly love to use.
Here (Note: This is just to show you an example of how the site has their entries set up on mobile.)

See how organized and neat that is. The share features are out of the way, put at the bottom, so that they are not in the users way. Along with the site's own share information, Desktop/Tablet mode option, etc. There Sign in/Login and search feature are under "More". "Forum", "Community", and "Just In" displayed at the top. It's nice and neat, and really no different than the main site itself.

Speaking of the main site: Here. You see the little images of the phone, A, and globe. The phone is what you click to get to the mobile version. The globe is a translation feature, and the A is font. (For those that never used the site.) Again, their share information is out of the way, it remains on the front page so it isn't there in the users face.

Again, I liked some things from what you guys had, but it isn't something I was fond of.

Now that I am back on desktop mode, this week, I am happy to see that the "Request Mobile Version" is gone, but not so happy with the share information for the site, as said before.

Oh, you guys are probably curious as to how the forum is set up in mobile version, if you have never used the site, here. If you want to see how the posting works on the mobile version, you'll need an account. To see how the profiles are set up on mobile version, just click any user name there. As for the limits, you can post to forums, add to your favorites, follows, etc (as you can clearly see from the first link). You can send PMs, and forum post, but you can't post fics unless on desktop or tablet mode (you can't view avatars pics either unless on the same mode). (Yes, I know, it's a fanfiction site, but that doesn't mean you can't take ideas from it.)

Goes to show, some things aren't necessary to enjoy the site in mobile version like that of the regular site.

As said, I did like some features you had, but there were many things I weren't fond of. I hoped the examples from a favored mobile version helped you guys out. I also liked the mobile version of Wiki (more so than the regular site, believe it or not). Good luck with it guys.
lovelyphantomFeb 23, 2015 12:29 PM

Feb 23, 2015 1:07 PM

Jan 2015
It's pretty good the site but in my phone doesn't have log out :(
Feb 23, 2015 1:28 PM

Jul 2012
I don't know if its a known problem/bug or it isn't just added yet but you can access your account when you're banned from the mobile site
הלב שלי כבר מת
Feb 24, 2015 1:08 AM
Jul 2018
mobile version was great, but when some page was still desktop version it zoomed out, still need some development maybe..
Feb 24, 2015 4:48 AM

Jan 2011
no responsive web design? to bad… =/
Feb 24, 2015 8:30 AM

Apr 2010
I dreaded using the mobile site before because the site was exactly like the PC version and the search button was the size of an amoeba. This is leagues better and easier to use. Loads quicker too.
I'm looking forward to seeing what else you'll pump out with the new company.

Feb 24, 2015 12:52 PM
Feb 2015
I was really positively shocked when I saw MAL's mobile website. It's nice to see that something is happening here. But then I quickly realised that you can't do with it anything - only view things, not edit and post. Anyway, some pages still are not accessible in the mobile version. Then I switched off my rational thinking and realised another thing, which is that we have 2015 year now and this is not wisdom to do such things.

In this times we can see the process of deleting crappy mobile versions of websites and replacing them with just one responsive design for both computer and mobiles, because it simplified the process of coding. Who would want to code one thing two times? No one. DRY! Mobile version would be nice few years ago, but now it's a history.

Another thing is MAL's user interface in general. Design and colour theme obviously are fine and they just look like MAL. But I just see many possibilities of simplifying user interface, deleting unnecessary features, etc. And if I were in charge to decide about this website, the first thing I would do is to rebuild user interface to make it look a bit more modern and much simpler. Just code it from scratch with use of responsive design - obviously keeping the current design or facelifting it a bit. We would get a simpler interface on computers and mobile version at once. Now the team just added themselves more work to do, because they must maintain two different template sets now.

summerwars said:
no responsive web design? to bad… =/

Definitely agree.
mrnu_old_accFeb 24, 2015 12:57 PM
Feb 24, 2015 5:21 PM
Oct 2013
I don't want to complain too much as I know its not a finished product but not being able to see any of the normal numbers that show up when searching for anime or the ability to sort by the various stats makes it unusable for me. No big as I eventually just found the request full site button and clicked that.
Feb 24, 2015 8:03 PM

Jun 2009
Akamitsu said:
I dreaded using the mobile site before because the site was exactly like the PC version and the search button was the size of an amoeba.
This is more or less exactly how i feel about the new mobile site i am looking forward to what you will do with it keep up the good work
Feb 24, 2015 8:05 PM

Jul 2012
lol how do you update your anime list with this

i gave up
im sorry
Feb 24, 2015 8:33 PM

Dec 2012
mayukachan said:
Doesn't have that feature yet iirc.
Feb 24, 2015 11:10 PM
Oct 2014
good job
Thanx
Feb 25, 2015 12:30 AM

Jul 2013
mayukachan said:

i gave up
im sorry

go to the anime page > back to desktop version > edit your episode/chapter progress > go to mobile version
*runs

haha.

The mobile version is very comfortable to browse the site for me. Before this was released it's really hard to login from my mobile phone browser (using the regular site) since the floating window kept disappearing when I clicked "Login" after some repeated efforts to put my username and passwords (They're not too long but it's annoying to put it repeatedly and sometimes MAL logs me out after just a few minutes).

It's really neat, but I wish it will immediately be equipped with some of MAL's vital features, so it can be more useful the users. :)
Feb 25, 2015 12:33 AM

Jul 2012
meishika said:
go to the anime page > back to desktop version > edit your episode/chapter progress > go to mobile version
*runs

LOOOL YES I DID THAT.
THANK YOU IT WORKED
;))
Feb 25, 2015 8:29 AM

Aug 2013
Just tried it out, it's great.

Thanks for making MAL awesome, Xinil and the rest of the MAL team.
Feb 25, 2015 4:30 PM

Dec 2014
Very good.
Feb 25, 2015 8:55 PM

Jan 2012
I used it today; I love it so much and am looking forward to more updates!! Especially can't wait until I can start updating my lists via it and can reply to forums :3
Love the layout and how easy it is to use though :)

Do you think after the beta is a finished product, you guys will start on a MyAnimeList phone app??

Feb 26, 2015 10:57 AM

Mar 2008
Thanks, Xinil! I like it.
Feb 26, 2015 8:54 PM

Nov 2013
Great job! I totally missed this - though I have been waiting for a mobile site after I started using the android app. It saves me so much time I used to spend waiting for the pages to load, when I was too lazy to start the computer and since I only have a slow internet connection for my smartphone..... So yes, this is awesome and I can't wait to be able to use the now missing features.
Keep up the great work! Thanks!
Feb 27, 2015 12:20 AM
Mar 2014
Love it great job, just need to be able to update my list and it will be perfect

Keep up the good work really appreciate it honestly.
Feb 27, 2015 12:14 PM

Jan 2014
Good
I'll check it out ASAP
Feb 27, 2015 6:19 PM

Jul 2014
So when I switch to desktop version on iPad, I have a lot of white space on the sides. What's up with that?
Feb 27, 2015 10:31 PM

Jul 2008
This look more professional, at least comparatively to the normal design.

Seriously, how about making a more recent version of the normal design as well? This website is way behind the time and it looks like a student's final project in a multimedia class (and even then, I've seen better).
MAL's database is huge and it has a big community but it's really a shame to see how it takes it for granted without making any effort to improve itself.

Now that was my opinion as a user of this website but as a fellow programmer and web designer I can also understand why this hasn't been done yet. Doing a full rework of the design is a lot of work and MAL might not be a project you want to invest this much time into.
Not only would you need to do the design yourself (or have someone else do it), you'd have to make sure it is efficient enough as to not slow down the browsing experience (Hummingbird I'm looking at you). You would also need to modify some functionality as to fit the new design (because doing a remake the other way around usually result in a shitty remake) and possibility create new ones from scratch. Sadly that's also only the tip of the iceberg.

Still if you aren't willing to invest this much time on MAL you might make use of people that would like to invest said time. I'm not saying to publicly upload an open source version of the site but I'm sure you could find some user that would enjoy working on the thing. Of course you'd have to check things up but hey that's a lot less work than developing it yourself.
Feb 28, 2015 3:51 AM

Sep 2014
OMG this is great!~
Feb 28, 2015 10:36 AM

May 2014
Well... The mobile site socks to be frank.

I don't see any option to post messages in the forum on it and even worse than that it doesn't remember my preferences. That means my forum page is spammed with people's avatars and signatures, which waste precious data.

Other than those two glaring issues, it seems alright.
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
Feb 28, 2015 1:13 PM

Sep 2011
OnlyTemporary said:
Well... The mobile site socks to be frank.

I don't see any option to post messages in the forum on it and even worse than that it doesn't remember my preferences. That means my forum page is spammed with people's avatars and signatures, which waste precious data.

Other than those two glaring issues, it seems alright.
"I want to stress that this is a beta release of the mobile site, so some features you see on the desktop version will be missing at launch."

Did you read his opening post at all?
Feb 28, 2015 1:42 PM

Mar 2013
Tyrel said:
"I want to stress that this is a beta release of the mobile site, so some features you see on the desktop version will be missing at launch."

Did you read his opening post at all?

Even though it is a good question why the mobile website was pushed through in the first place when it holds so many flaws. The community was simply made even more impatient this way, wanting to see an actual full-fledged mobile website.

Well, regardless, the mobile theme currently does not allow normal website usage so I switch it back to the desktop version. However, I'm extremely annoyed that the system does not remember my change to the desktop version and keeps on changing to the mobile version each time I accessed Mal via my mobile device. It would be nice if the system would not switch to the mobile website by default, but would memorize the latest change made and keep to it.
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Favorites Boosting Accounts: Ranking Recalculations ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - May 6, 2021

410 by clane34 »»
3 hours ago

» Related Anime/Manga Section Changes ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - May 23

120 by jkim »»
Jul 25, 5:35 AM

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

248 by nanajp »»
Jul 20, 2:48 AM

» Forum Conversation View: Now available ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - Aug 29, 2023

180 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Jul 19, 6:04 PM

» Clubs Have a Brand-New Look—In-App!

Kineta - May 15, 2022

46 by YourFriendHolly »»
Jul 9, 9:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.