Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (18) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »
Dec 26, 2014 3:38 AM

Oct 2014
soundscape said:
But Gon is a child with a fucked up sense of morality, so it is coherent and realistic with his character. Should I remind you his view about the Phantom Troupe? He was fine with them killing and being thieves but when he saw that he cared for one another is when he snapped, I think that was a clear indication of how facked up he is.

You missed the point of that scene entirely. Gon was angry because of their double standards; they're happy to mercilessly kill people, but when one of their own die, they get angry & seek revenge, which is blatantly hypocritical. Expressing anger to the point of risking his life over their double standards is entirely noble.

His morality was anything but fucked up. He had no morality or personality flaws up until the Ant Arc.
Dec 26, 2014 3:56 AM

Jun 2014
SightScreen said:
soundscape said:
But Gon is a child with a fucked up sense of morality, so it is coherent and realistic with his character. Should I remind you his view about the Phantom Troupe? He was fine with them killing and being thieves but when he saw that he cared for one another is when he snapped, I think that was a clear indication of how facked up he is.

You missed the point of that scene entirely. Gon was angry because of their double standards; they're happy to mercilessly kill people, but when one of their own die, they get angry & seek revenge, which is blatantly hypocritical. Expressing anger to the point of risking his life over their double standards is entirely noble.

His morality was anything but fucked up. He had no morality or personality flaws up until the Ant Arc.

I don't find his behaviour inconsistent with his previous characterization.
He has always been portrayed as someone who could throw away his life for petty things (he's still a naive kid afterall). Just remember when he almost let hanzo kill him during the Hunter exams even though he could easily give up and try again the next year. Or when he allowed his hand to be blown up by the Bomber (genthru) in Greed Island just to land a punch on him. Those types of charatcres are called determinators.
Is that realistical? I don't think so but it's not like in their fictional world, people need to have completely realistical characterizations, they just need to be consistent.

SightScreen said:
This is the most plausible & sensible argument, but I still find his intense hatred toward Pitou jarring; he was even prepared to kill an innocent Komugi.

If Pitou was a truly despicable, pure evil character, that had done more than just kill Gon's friend, his hatred would be more understandable; but the way it unfolded makes him a less realistic, believable character.

Well... Pitou actually did more. She changed him into a puppet and used him as a toy to train the lower ants. Remember that when Gon first meets Pitou while the latter was healing Komugi using Doctor Blythe, his first rection was to think that she was to doing to Komugi "the same thing" she was doing to Kite while having an image of a dissected Kite in mind iirc. I think between a person who kills a relative of yours to defend himself and one who does that for the fun and later plays with his/her body, you will defintely not have the same feelings.
AgafinDec 26, 2014 4:03 AM
Dec 26, 2014 4:46 AM

Oct 2013
SightScreen said:
soundscape said:

Not really, he had no issues with them killing people(that is a fucked up sense of morality). When Killua said he was an assassin(meaning he was killing people) Gon hardly even budged, what sense of morality is that?
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Dec 26, 2014 4:49 AM

Jun 2009
All I have to say is that, reading the through the manga and going through the series again, it was very easy to see that this sort of explosion (heh....) from Gon was inevitable. But, yeah, not having Kite at the beginning of the series was a bonehead move by Madhouse.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 26, 2014 4:55 AM

Oct 2013
insan3Inquisitor said:
All I have to say is that, reading the through the manga and going through the series again, it was very easy to see that this sort of explosion (heh....) from Gon was inevitable. But, yeah, not having Kite at the beginning of the series was a bonehead move by Madhouse.

I rewatched the CA arc recently and I agree. For example the moment before they invade the palace when trying to deduce why would the King injure himself, Morel asks Gon when would he self injure. Gon says "When I couldn't forgive myself." and many more instances that tells us it was inevitable and he was already determined to sacrifice his life in case this would happen.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Dec 26, 2014 5:07 AM

Jun 2014
insan3Inquisitor said:
I usually tell people to watch episode 1 of the 1999 version before starting this one. But tbh, it doesn't totally solve the problem since there were several instances where Gon was supposed to reference Kite (like at the end of the Hunter exam when talking to Satotz or at Whale island when discussing with Killua) which were removed due to this. It definitely helps though since I presume seeing Kite at the beginning of the CA arc without prior knowledge of him has a totally different feel to it than if you already saw him on the first episode.
Dec 26, 2014 11:18 AM

May 2014
Wow, didn't expect the episode to be so good.

I didn't really like the Chimera Ant arc to be honest. I thought it was way too long and would've been better if it was shorter. It had some great moments though and this final episode was one of the best episodes of the series in my opinion!
Dec 27, 2014 12:44 AM

Oct 2014
Agafin said:
He has always been portrayed as someone who could throw away his life for petty things (he's still a naive kid afterall). Just remember when he almost let hanzo kill him during the Hunter exams even though he could easily give up and try again the next year. Or when he allowed his hand to be blown up by the Bomber (genthru) in Greed Island just to land a punch on him. Those types of charatcres are called determinators.
Is that realistical? I don't think so but it's not like in their fictional world, people need to have completely realistical characterizations, they just need to be consistent.

I don't disagree with any of that. I was just highlighting that his morality wasn't twisted.

SightScreen said:
Well... Pitou actually did more. She changed him into a puppet and used him as a toy to train the lower ants. Remember that when Gon first meets Pitou while the latter was healing Komugi using Doctor Blythe, his first rection was to think that she was to doing to Komugi "the same thing" she was doing to Kite while having an image of a dissected Kite in mind iirc. I think between a person who kills a relative of yours to defend himself and one who does that for the fun and later plays with his/her body, you will defintely not have the same feelings.

That's another fair argument, although even after he's convinced she was being healed, he's still clearly behaving like a sociopath without any regard for Komugi, and forces a time limit. Did he magically know how long it would take for her to be healed in order to prevent time wasting?

soundscape said:
Not really, he had no issues with them killing people(that is a fucked up sense of morality). When Killua said he was an assassin(meaning he was killing people) Gon hardly even budged, what sense of morality is that?

Hunter X Hunter's world is a dystopia in case you didn't realize. People make their livings by killing others; our rules & sense of morality doesn't apply to HXH's world.

Baring this in mind, you're claiming Gon has a twisted sense of morality just because he isn't a pacifist. He realizes people need to kill others or do dirty deeds to get by in this world, but doesn't judge them for doing so, which is entirely sensible & why he makes friends so easily. This was very clearly established when befriending the black market dealer.

He got angry when the Samurai Troupe Member got angry his friend died, despite the fact that he's killed several people himself without the slightest care in the world, making him a hypocrite with twisted morality.
Dec 27, 2014 2:42 AM

Oct 2013

What? HxH is pretty similar to our world(there are many parallels drown out during the entire series). In our world people make a living by killing others too you know, what do you mean our rules doesn't apply(we are talking about human psyche, how it doesn't apply?). A dystopia? No.

You do realize that the Nen users in that world are extremely rare? The 99 per cent of people live normal lives similar to our world. People don't have to kill to get by in that world and Gon's sense of morality is fucked up because he grew up in a decent loving home, thus his sense of morality shouldn't be so screwed.

Yeap he got angry because of that, my point was entirely something else.
Dec 27, 2014 9:05 AM

Jun 2014
SightScreen said:
[spoiler]
Agafin said:

I don't disagree with any of that. I was just highlighting that his morality wasn't twisted.

SightScreen said:
Agafin said:

That's another fair argument, although even after he's convinced she was being healed, he's still clearly behaving like a sociopath without any regard for Komugi, and forces a time limit. Did he magically know how long it would take for her to be healed in order to prevent time wasting?

[/spoiler][/quote]

This is getting interesting.

1- I think Gon has always been a bit twisted morally but there has never been a situation of this scale to make him go completely insane. There however were several hints. Just remember in the initial phase of the Hunter exams where hehad no qualms about using that Hunter to distract Hisoka of course by killing him) to get Hisoka's tag. Or when he took Ponzu's (bee girl) tag after getting her out of the snake's cave effectively causing her to fail. Of course, this doesn't exactly make him evil but saying that he has "no morality flaws" doesn't seem accurate to me.

Now, there is this scene in the Heavens Arena arc which is rather similar to the Pitou's incident and has imo is perfectly in line with Gon's characterization and shows that he is a bit twisted.

Around the early 30s episodes, Gido (the guy using using tops as weapons) and his two friends kidnapped Zushi and tried to use him force Gon and Killua to abandon their fights. So it was effectively their fault if he was captured and traumatised They managed to get back Zushi and still have their fights. During his fight against Gido, Gon intentionally broke Gido's prosthetic legs NOT TO WIN OR FOR PROTECTION since he was already assured to win the fight, but instead for revenge. This definitely shows some twisted nature imo. Besides, Zushi was just a friend gon made a weeks earlier.

Well, in the CA arc, Pitou attacked Gon, Killua and Kite and cut Kite's arm due to him trying to protect them. He even ordered them to flee away while he was retaining Pitou. So, whatever happend to him during that encounter was partially due to them. Gon and Killua decided to get Kite back only to discover that he had been converted into a puppet. Gon then decided to heal him by capturing the author of that. He did everything in his power to attain that objective nand even managed to find Pitou who garanteed to him that she could him Kite only to discover later that she was lying and Kite was dead all along. he then got mad and decided to take revenge the most gruesome of ways again showing his somehow twisted nature. In this case, Kite wasn't just a friend he made a few weeks ago, he was like a mentor or father figure. he saved Gon's life several years ago and Gon admired him greatly.

These two events imo are very similar and both showed Gon's warped morality as well as how he would react in this type of situations except that the second one was more extreme than the first so of course, the response was more hardcore as well. If Gon could react like that to Gido kidnapping a recent friend of his, then how would he when someone would capture an important person he knew and killed him?

2-I don't think that Gon is evil but I don't believe he had strong morals. He was more like a chaotic neutral imo. Now, it seems to me that you are a bit exxagerating how twisted Gon't actions were (from a moral standpoint). Let's assume for the sake of this argument that Gon is actually a goody two shows. Which actions of his did you consider so jarringly incorrect (morally)? I will list these few points which are commonly brought up to see what exactly you mean to move this discussion forward.

a-When he discovered that Kite was changed into a puppet, did you expected him to just walk away? Of couse not, Kite saved his life and was now in a critical situation due to him (Gon) and the only person who could save him (that's what Gon thought) was Pitou. At least, he would've still attempted to save him. The others (Morel, Knov, Knuckle, Shoot etc) were focused on their mission and would certainly not try to take the risk of capturing a guard alive just for one person so Gon had to do this alone ( well, with Killua). What else should he have done for you to consider it consistent with his preestablished sense of morality (as previously assumed)?

b-When he found Pitou healing Komugi, again did you expected him to just walk away? For all he knew, Komugi was just an enemy and Pitou and Pitou was just trying to heal another potential threat. I mean, we viewers have a god's perspective but it's not like Gon should just guess that Komugi was an innocent blind girl who spent all her time playing a card game with the king. Gon asking Pitou to reduce the healing time was perhaps just a strategy to prevent Pitou from fully healing Komugi since a possibilty existed that she could be an enemy. What did you expected him to do which would be in line with his straight morality while not being completely stupid.

c-When he threatened to kill Komugi after the healing process and later used her as a hostage. I know many can use this to say that he became completely evil but to me it always came off more as a strategy. I mean, Pitou is obviously muèch stronger than him and Pitou had already lied to him (she said that she needed 4 hours to heal Komugi while in reality just one was needed) and even had a strong desire to kill him (bloodlust can be felt in the HxH verse). So, Gon knew that she could very well try to kill him on their way to Kite once she's sure Komugi is safe (which she actually did in the later) so to prevent that he decided to use Pitou as a hostage to force Pitou to obey and heal Kite. Of course, had him killed Pitou, it would've been a totally different story but he didn't and at the end of the day he managed to be sure that Pitou wouldn't try to kill him. He also knew that no matter what Killua and co wouldn't kill Pitou so she was in fact safe but Pitou didn't know. So, I will ask agin, what exactly did he do that makes you think his morality was that much more twisted that it was previously?

d-Finally, when he decided to kill Pitou after discovering that she lied him all along and couldn't save Kite. The act was undeniably done for revenge but then again Pitou was about to kill him so what was there to loss? Either he allows himself being killed by Pitou and of course letting her go and help the king or he uses him trump card (which of needs a huge sacrifice) to kill her and of course get revenge but also free the hunters of a huge threat. Don't forget that Pitou was just about to kill him so Killua would've never made it on time. hell, Gon didn't even know that Killua was coming nor that he had an ability which could permit them to escape (Godspeed). That was like the last thing he could do. So what did you expected him to do here assuming he's a googy two shoes?

I'm just curious because even though I have always considered Gon to be somehow amoral , I never particularly considered his actions in CA so twisted (morally) as you make them seem.

PS. Sorry for typos, grammar etc.
Dec 27, 2014 8:35 PM

Oct 2011
Great, really great episode. I've only seen a handful other episodes which were more emotional than this one. A bit more and I'd have had teary eyes. :/
Dec 28, 2014 1:13 AM

Jun 2009
Now this, THIS was an amazing episode. An unusual but perfect conclusion to this arc. This episode made going through the arc, even the slightly less good episodes, absolutely worth it. Fantastic.

Now I'm REALLY excited how things will continue after this massive arc.
grandy_UiDDec 28, 2014 1:20 AM
Dec 29, 2014 7:44 PM

Oct 2014
soundscape said:
What? HxH is pretty similar to our world(there are many parallels drown out during the entire series). In our world people make a living by killing others too you know, what do you mean our rules doesn't apply(we are talking about human psyche, how it doesn't apply?). A dystopia? No.

You do realize that the Nen users in that world are extremely rare? The 99 per cent of people live normal lives similar to our world. People don't have to kill to get by in that world and Gon's sense of morality is fucked up because he grew up in a decent loving home, thus his sense of morality shouldn't be so screwed.

Yeap he got angry because of that, my point was entirely something else.

You can't kill people legally in the real world; you won't find a family of assassins in the real world, or universally recognized exams where people die nonchalantly. Quite the difference. You clearly don't understand what a dystopia is; it's not always a completely negative world like Texhnolyze.

Anyway, not wasting anymore time discussing this. You clearly don't get it.

Agafin said:
This is getting interesting.

1- I think Gon has always been a bit twisted morally but there has never been a situation of this scale to make him go completely insane. There however were several hints. Just remember in the initial phase of the Hunter exams where hehad no qualms about using that Hunter to distract Hisoka of course by killing him) to get Hisoka's tag. Or when he took Ponzu's (bee girl) tag after getting her out of the snake's cave effectively causing her to fail. Of course, this doesn't exactly make him evil but saying that he has "no morality flaws" doesn't seem accurate to me.

Now, there is this scene in the Heavens Arena arc which is rather similar to the Pitou's incident and has imo is perfectly in line with Gon's characterization and shows that he is a bit twisted.

Around the early 30s episodes, Gido (the guy using using tops as weapons) and his two friends kidnapped Zushi and tried to use him force Gon and Killua to abandon their fights. So it was effectively their fault if he was captured and traumatised They managed to get back Zushi and still have their fights. During his fight against Gido, Gon intentionally broke Gido's prosthetic legs NOT TO WIN OR FOR PROTECTION since he was already assured to win the fight, but instead for revenge. This definitely shows some twisted nature imo. Besides, Zushi was just a friend gon made a weeks earlier.

Well, in the CA arc, Pitou attacked Gon, Killua and Kite and cut Kite's arm due to him trying to protect them. He even ordered them to flee away while he was retaining Pitou. So, whatever happend to him during that encounter was partially due to them. Gon and Killua decided to get Kite back only to discover that he had been converted into a puppet. Gon then decided to heal him by capturing the author of that. He did everything in his power to attain that objective nand even managed to find Pitou who garanteed to him that she could him Kite only to discover later that she was lying and Kite was dead all along. he then got mad and decided to take revenge the most gruesome of ways again showing his somehow twisted nature. In this case, Kite wasn't just a friend he made a few weeks ago, he was like a mentor or father figure. he saved Gon's life several years ago and Gon admired him greatly.

These two events imo are very similar and both showed Gon's warped morality as well as how he would react in this type of situations except that the second one was more extreme than the first so of course, the response was more hardcore as well. If Gon could react like that to Gido kidnapping a recent friend of his, then how would he when someone would capture an important person he knew and killed him?

2-I don't think that Gon is evil but I don't believe he had strong morals. He was more like a chaotic neutral imo. Now, it seems to me that you are a bit exxagerating how twisted Gon't actions were (from a moral standpoint). Let's assume for the sake of this argument that Gon is actually a goody two shows. Which actions of his did you consider so jarringly incorrect (morally)? I will list these few points which are commonly brought up to see what exactly you mean to move this discussion forward.

a-When he discovered that Kite was changed into a puppet, did you expected him to just walk away? Of couse not, Kite saved his life and was now in a critical situation due to him (Gon) and the only person who could save him (that's what Gon thought) was Pitou. At least, he would've still attempted to save him. The others (Morel, Knov, Knuckle, Shoot etc) were focused on their mission and would certainly not try to take the risk of capturing a guard alive just for one person so Gon had to do this alone ( well, with Killua). What else should he have done for you to consider it consistent with his preestablished sense of morality (as previously assumed)?

b-When he found Pitou healing Komugi, again did you expected him to just walk away? For all he knew, Komugi was just an enemy and Pitou and Pitou was just trying to heal another potential threat. I mean, we viewers have a god's perspective but it's not like Gon should just guess that Komugi was an innocent blind girl who spent all her time playing a card game with the king. Gon asking Pitou to reduce the healing time was perhaps just a strategy to prevent Pitou from fully healing Komugi since a possibilty existed that she could be an enemy. What did you expected him to do which would be in line with his straight morality while not being completely stupid.

c-When he threatened to kill Komugi after the healing process and later used her as a hostage. I know many can use this to say that he became completely evil but to me it always came off more as a strategy. I mean, Pitou is obviously muèch stronger than him and Pitou had already lied to him (she said that she needed 4 hours to heal Komugi while in reality just one was needed) and even had a strong desire to kill him (bloodlust can be felt in the HxH verse). So, Gon knew that she could very well try to kill him on their way to Kite once she's sure Komugi is safe (which she actually did in the later) so to prevent that he decided to use Pitou as a hostage to force Pitou to obey and heal Kite. Of course, had him killed Pitou, it would've been a totally different story but he didn't and at the end of the day he managed to be sure that Pitou wouldn't try to kill him. He also knew that no matter what Killua and co wouldn't kill Pitou so she was in fact safe but Pitou didn't know. So, I will ask agin, what exactly did he do that makes you think his morality was that much more twisted that it was previously?

d-Finally, when he decided to kill Pitou after discovering that she lied him all along and couldn't save Kite. The act was undeniably done for revenge but then again Pitou was about to kill him so what was there to loss? Either he allows himself being killed by Pitou and of course letting her go and help the king or he uses him trump card (which of needs a huge sacrifice) to kill her and of course get revenge but also free the hunters of a huge threat. Don't forget that Pitou was just about to kill him so Killua would've never made it on time. hell, Gon didn't even know that Killua was coming nor that he had an ability which could permit them to escape (Godspeed). That was like the last thing he could do. So what did you expected him to do here assuming he's a googy two shoes?

I'm just curious because even though I have always considered Gon to be somehow amoral , I never particularly considered his actions in CA so twisted (morally) as you make them seem.

PS. Sorry for typos, grammar etc.

Again, just because he's not a pacifist doesn't mean he has personality flaws. They outlined the rules in the Hunter Exams; you're supposed to take the badges through any means necessary, there's nothing wrong with taking advantage of someone sleeping, especially when he didn't even do it for himself, he did it for Leorio. As for letting Hisoka kill the hunter, it's not like he wanted the guy to die, he just figured the only way he'd get Hisoka's badge would be if he were distracted; that's not twisted, it's just smart, and obeying the laws of the world.

As for the rest of the post, sorry, don't have the time to respond. Plenty of fair points though.
Dec 29, 2014 10:27 PM

Dec 2011
I had a lot of reactions to this episode. Now that the Chimera Ant arc is completing, it makes me want to reflect on its entirety.

I think -- in the anime anyway -- that the Chimera Ant Arc could have been presented in a better way. A lot of the episodes seemed really, really long and drawn out, and I'm sure you've noticed all the comments on CR complaining about the excess narration. I do agree that all those episodes ( a good 40+ of them in that arc ) were important in building up to the final climax of the arc, but a lot of them could've been condensed into a fewer number of episodes.

A LOT of stuff happened in that arc, and I'm glad it has led to a development in most, if not all, the characters. I really want Gon to be okay...I can't believe there's only 13 more episodes out of HxH!!!! Aghhh. What show will I go to next?!?!

I have to say that Episode 135 was so heart breaking. It reminded me why I chose to not drop the series (as I have a terrible habit in doing so) and just reaffirmed my love of the show!! I swear, it was like a river down my face the entire episode, lol.

HunterxHunter is definitely one of my top favorite animes of all time. It excels in story telling and character development -- so much so that Togashi has me rooting for antagonists as well as protagonists! He has them so well written that you really can't categorize characters as "good" or "bad." Each has their strong and weak points, and lies not within the simplistic good vs. evil categorization but rather a spectrum of goodness and evilness.
⋆-_- ♠
Dec 30, 2014 1:01 AM

Oct 2013

Lol I clearly understand that you clearly don't understand what parallels mean and what those are in the HxH world. We were discussing the psyche of humans, how they behave and stuff, and you said it is irrelevant because HxH is a compeltely different world form the real one. And I said no, it's not. Then you provide setting differences that you think are different but ignore the enormous amount of parallels.

If you think that we don't have families of assassins in real world that's your belief but a naive one. So you really think some people aren't authorized to kill huh? In HxH world there is an organization that's called HA and hunters are allowed to kill, so think hard if we could have an organization that resembles to that one in real world......

You remind me of another dude who said it was unrealistic for Bizeff behind the scenes to bring women for his pleasure comparing it to the real world and saying that this never happens....
Dec 30, 2014 10:40 AM

Mar 2013
Just finished watching this episode. It's been a few years since I cried like this.
Jan 3, 2015 8:05 PM

Dec 2014
I just cried as much as I did when I originally watched Clannad AS. I did not except this show to get this good when I started watching. Only a few episodes to go. I don't know what I'm going to do when it ends ;(
Jan 3, 2015 11:50 PM
Jul 2012
This was too much, I had to stop after the arc ended. I am taking a break from HxH for a while until I recover... I just lied down for 45 minutes processing what happened...reflecting about life...and that's usually done at the END of watching a beautiful series. And at first I wanted to know why HxH 2011 was among the top 5...

now I know why. It's because of episodes like these.
Jan 8, 2015 12:10 AM
Jul 2014
I can't even describe in words what this episode did to me. Their story is definitely going down as one of the most beautiful love stories ever, for me.

This one episode redeemed the whole so-dragged-out-I-want-to-bash-my-head-against-the-wall disaster this arc was becoming for me.

So much symbolism and deep meanings.

I mean... he loved her so much that love basically survived both their almost deaths, and for Meruem, despite getting amnesia, remained as the most important thing for him, which he felt the loss of and wouldn't stop looking for, despite not knowing what it even was. Then, once he found out, it was the only thing that mattered to him.

Then the last scene. Them playing, and affirming their love for one another... the symbolism of the special Gungi move, where she starts with an isolated king, which he thinks cannot be beat... then to his surprise she counters him, he figures out how to counter her, then she does it again without any hesitation, and shows him she alone, figured out how to save him.

Then his vision fading, and her, becoming HIS light, and his guide in the darkness. I CAN'T EVEN.

I'm not usually into inter-species love stories, but in this case, it just highlights the strength of their bond. Even after finally touching him and realizing he is not human, didn't matter to her in the slightest.

Their love basically overcame every single thing.

He picked her over the entire world, and she picked him over living in the world.

Epic.
Jan 11, 2015 5:33 PM

Mar 2012
Ah man, feels hit me hard there T-T

I never would've expected to be sad at the death of one of the cruelest villains in the series. Well played HxH, well played.

R.I.P Komugi, so young ;_;
Jan 11, 2015 5:44 PM

Dec 2012
SightScreen said:

Hunter X Hunter's world is a dystopia in case you didn't realize. People make their livings by killing others; our rules & sense of morality doesn't apply to HXH's world.

Baring this in mind, you're claiming Gon has a twisted sense of morality just because he isn't a pacifist. He realizes people need to kill others or do dirty deeds to get by in this world, but doesn't judge them for doing so, which is entirely sensible & why he makes friends so easily. This was very clearly established when befriending the black market dealer.

That's a really interesting point/observation. Wow, it really didn't cross my mind before, made me think about the whole series and the actions of all the characters, especially Gon.
Jan 26, 2015 10:18 PM

Apr 2009
Okay that was a good ending and it almost got me to tear up, but was not enough because like much of the other posters, I did not care for this arc. To me, none of the enemies were likeable until the arrival of Meruem. The story dragged at certain points and the pacing was really slow with building of the Chimera Ant army in the beginning. Due to those reasons, I wasn't able to be drawn into to the story and attach my emotions/feelings to it. However that ending was good enough to elicit some emotions inside me and to that end, it did a great job.
Feb 4, 2015 12:55 AM

Jul 2013
Wow so Chimera arc comes to an end. Really beautiful ending for it. I´m glad that I decided to watch HxH.
The whole arc was pure pleasure. Thanks for this :)

Feb 6, 2015 7:45 PM

Nov 2014
dark-chaos said:
Satouji said:
Actually my point was how easily human's thoughts can be manipulated. Have you realised that you're crying for a killer ?

then we must stop cry for anyone
human kill animals and eat them
all human's are killers

Thank you.
That was one of the many points that this arc was trying to make.
Also, remember the line that the king gave earlier to those girls, "Have you once spared a cow or a pig that begged for their life?"
Like man. For real.

Also, people killing other people/letting other people suffer for self-gain.
One of the thoughts that we were all supposed to consider that the Humans were just as bad as the Ants. No. Worse.
Feb 6, 2015 8:41 PM

Nov 2014
Stole this from another forum:

"Also they were practically married during the game of gungi. The way Komugi said "I may not be much, but please, let me accompany you" is an old fashioned phrase that japanese women use when accepting a marriage proposal. Meruem even stated that this was the sole reason he was born, only to experience this moment, where you find someone who's willing to spend the rest of their life with you"

Welp.
Great to know that they were "married"
Feb 7, 2015 4:49 AM

Jun 2014
^Yeah, there was alot of symbolism like that in that arc as a whole.
Feb 8, 2015 9:01 PM

Feb 2011
dadzoned said:

"Also they were practically married during the game of gungi. The way Komugi said "I may not be much, but please, let me accompany you" is an old fashioned phrase that japanese women use when accepting a marriage proposal. Meruem even stated that this was the sole reason he was born, only to experience this moment, where you find someone who's willing to spend the rest of their life with you"

Welp.

OMG, VERY BEAUTIFUL SAID: MERUEM X KOMUGI ARE PRACTICALLY MARRIED AT THE END AND THEY FOREVER BE TOGETHER!!!! :^;
Feb 8, 2015 9:01 PM

Dec 2012
dadzoned said:

Welp.

Wow.
[right]
"The big secret to breaking the rules is to make it look as though you're following them."
Feb 10, 2015 11:01 PM
Sep 2014
I can't believe the Chimera Ant arc was 60 episodes long...

Still, good ending
Feb 18, 2015 11:17 AM

Nov 2014
God, how can I cry for such reason...
Feb 23, 2015 12:50 PM

Dec 2013
I've haven't cried for a long time like today after watching the ending of this episode...
Mar 5, 2015 12:06 PM

May 2013
One of the best episodes of anime I've ever seen.
Mar 16, 2015 5:52 PM

Jan 2013
I must say.. Beautiful. It's hard to say it but this episode all the episodes from before building up to this one.. just ;-; beautiful!
Mar 24, 2015 5:02 AM

Jun 2014
Agafin said:
^Yeah, there was alot of symbolism like that in that arc as a whole.
To add to this, I've just read an interesting post from reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/HunterXHunter/comments/3000pr/meruem_vs_komugi/
NateXNate said:
Curently rewatching the entire series with a friend, i found out that there are hidden messages between Komugi and Meruem when they play Gungi:

Kokoriko is an advanced Gungi technique developed by Komugi that centers around isolating the King (as in the Gungi piece, not the Chimera Ant), separating it from the other pieces and killing it off. Just like Netero and the Hunters were planning to do to Meruem. However, Komugi unexpectedly develops a counter to this technique in the middle of a game, meaning that the King piece (representing Meruem) no longer has to die (since he unexpectedly survived the nuke). Then, later on, when Komugi uses Kokoriko again, she actually develops a counter to the counter ("she reversed my reversal???"), representing that the King piece (Meruem) apparently actually does have to die after all (because of the Rose's poison). However, immediately after beating Meruem using Kokoriko (symbolizing his imminent death), Komugi and Meruem start one final game together, a game that they never finish. 1-5-1 Black King -> 9-5-1 White Lieutenant General, I believe, or something to that extent. Immediately afterwards, they die together, leaving on the board Meruem's one black piece and Komugi's single white piece, together in Gungi forever. This represents that the two were always united through Gungi, and will continue to be together even after death, undisturbed and united for all eternity. Meruem places his piece down, symbolizing his death, and then Komugi responds by placing her piece down next to his, showing that she is perfectly willing to die at his side..

The black screen/black panels in the manga show that the Rose's poison has made Meruem go blind. That's why he has to keep asking Komugi if she's still there, because he can't see her anymore. This is ironic because his name means "the light that illuminates/shines upon all". He even got some godlike light-related photon-based powers before his death, allowing him to fulfill his name. In addition, as they are playing in the bunker before their deaths, Meruem sees a blinding light radiating from Komugi as she "reverses his reversal", making her "the light that illuminates even the all-powerful light". Despite being far weaker (and blind to boot), her light shined far brighter than his. Then, as he dies, Komugi holds him and feels his head, allowing her to finally "see" or know what his face is like. Thus, as they die, Meruem joins Komugi in blindness as she joins him in death. Meruem can finally see what Komugi has been seeing all along, and knows what it feels like to be blind like her, and Komugi finally knows his face, allowing each to understand the other more as they fade away (the OST used during their death scene is called "Understanding"). Touching, isn't it? Togashi is a mastermind, and this entire story, especially this arc, is a masterpiece, a beautiful work of art, a canvas depicting love, hatred, innocence, corruption, happiness, suffering, loyalty, betrayal, anger, sadness, life, death, malevolence, destruction, resolve, determination, avarice, sacrifice, "true" power, truth, and understanding.

I had already caught on the symoblism with Meruem's name and him loosing sight as well as the part with Kokorico but the parallels with Netero Vs Meruem (which also served as some foreshadowing) completely flew over my radar. Man, this arc was really deep and this relationship in particular is one of the best written ones I've seen. I think I'm gonna rewatch the arc with that in mind, one of the very few times where rewatching can be even more enjoyable than the first watch (I can already sense the feels incoming).

I also like how Madhouse added a little bit symbolism to Togashi's already wonderful job ( the part with Komugi toughing Meruem's face to know what he looks like as well as the name of the OST "understanding" that played). They already did the same thing in Death Note with (DN episode 25 spoiler)
Props to them.
Mar 24, 2015 11:54 AM

Jun 2009
SightScreen said:
This arc was abysmal for the most part.

The plot becomes too complicated for it's own good when it transitions to East Gorteau. There were about 6-7 things going on at once when the Main Characters invaded the Palace, and as a result, the story lacked focus. It's hard to get emotionally involved when your mind has to keep track of too much.

Gon's story was a joke; it was horribly written & completely failed to form an emotional connection. He spent nearly the entire arc trying to heal Kite and/or get revenge for him in a clearly emotional state of mind, something I couldn't connect with as an audience member, because I barely knew Kite, and he hasn't been seen alive for 40-odd episodes. Once it becomes clear Kite's dead, he goes into a mental breakdown & starts reminiscing about his memories with Kite... which are composed of slicing & shooting monsters + that one encounter on Whale Island. There was nothing deep about their relationship and Kite was not a very deep character, which makes Gon's reaction all the more jarring.

As for his transformation, how could anyone take that seriously? He transformed into a JoJo character with the most ridiculous hair you will ever see within the anime medium. The transformation would be significantly more believable if his child-size clothes ripped off & he became butt naked as a result, but alas, Madhouse don't like depicting nudity, and he looks all the more absurd as a result. I was holding back my laughter in that scene, yet the anime retained a stone-cold serious & gritty tone all the way through, completely dissolving an already flimsy emotional connection.

Everything else wasn't too bad; this arc would've been a lot better if it focused on 2-3 characters, one of them being the Ant King, who I found to be the most interesting character by some distance; unfortunately, most of his emotionally captivating scenes were undermined by the perpetual shifts in focus in the story.

Yeah, most of this arc was pretty fucking scatterbrained, there was also a fair amount of ridiculous shit thrown in. The JoJo regeneration of Meruem, the JoJo/DBZ Gon transformation etc... The constant "THE AUDIENCE ARE FUCKING BABBIES, SLOW IT DOWN! NARRATE IT! THEY WON'T BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND IT OTHERWISE!" bullshit. Man, really is a mixed bag. CA Arc is definitely the most typically shounen esque arc of everything in HXH I've seen so far.
Mar 24, 2015 5:58 PM

Jan 2011
Tyestor said:
SightScreen said:
This arc was abysmal for the most part.

The plot becomes too complicated for it's own good when it transitions to East Gorteau. There were about 6-7 things going on at once when the Main Characters invaded the Palace, and as a result, the story lacked focus. It's hard to get emotionally involved when your mind has to keep track of too much.

Gon's story was a joke; it was horribly written & completely failed to form an emotional connection. He spent nearly the entire arc trying to heal Kite and/or get revenge for him in a clearly emotional state of mind, something I couldn't connect with as an audience member, because I barely knew Kite, and he hasn't been seen alive for 40-odd episodes. Once it becomes clear Kite's dead, he goes into a mental breakdown & starts reminiscing about his memories with Kite... which are composed of slicing & shooting monsters + that one encounter on Whale Island. There was nothing deep about their relationship and Kite was not a very deep character, which makes Gon's reaction all the more jarring.

As for his transformation, how could anyone take that seriously? He transformed into a JoJo character with the most ridiculous hair you will ever see within the anime medium. The transformation would be significantly more believable if his child-size clothes ripped off & he became butt naked as a result, but alas, Madhouse don't like depicting nudity, and he looks all the more absurd as a result. I was holding back my laughter in that scene, yet the anime retained a stone-cold serious & gritty tone all the way through, completely dissolving an already flimsy emotional connection.

Everything else wasn't too bad; this arc would've been a lot better if it focused on 2-3 characters, one of them being the Ant King, who I found to be the most interesting character by some distance; unfortunately, most of his emotionally captivating scenes were undermined by the perpetual shifts in focus in the story.

Yeah, most of this arc was pretty fucking scatterbrained, there was also a fair amount of ridiculous shit thrown in. The JoJo regeneration of Meruem, the JoJo/DBZ Gon transformation etc... The constant "THE AUDIENCE ARE FUCKING BABBIES, SLOW IT DOWN! NARRATE IT! THEY WON'T BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND IT OTHERWISE!" bullshit. Man, really is a mixed bag. CA Arc is definitely the most typically shounen esque arc of everything in HXH I've seen so far.

well, Im not agree
But the main problem of this version is the relationship Gon-kite. The 99 version had the original story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxAHNp_Wiio

GOOD/POSITIVE POINTS HXH 99:
-The color (hand drawn using pastel type of paints)
-the original relationship between gon and kite

RELATIVE:
-Some dialogue fillers were well done
-extra fights: kurapika vs hisoka, illumi vs gon, killua vs dorado https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqMEa2UZ2Ik
-mini filler arc
-Hunter exam arc was better
- I LIKE the character designs (hand drawn is better) EXCEPT THE FANSERVICE

NEGATIVE/BAD POINTS HXH 99
-fanservice
-censorship (the only "gore scene" faithfully adapted in the 99 version and Not in the 2011 version, it was killua vs jones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzdahmVhSn0 )
-MACHI knew Gon before the york shin arc (she was watching the battle: hisoka vs gon)
- Mito is Gon's aunt, MIN 5:33, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpzFjnY6jDE
- Kastro vs Hisoka was skipped
- The explanation of Nen was poor/bad done
- the story is incomplete
- Greed island arc
- animation

GOOD/POSITIVE POINTS HXH 2011
- the chimera ant arc, and chairman election arc
- without fillers (except some dialogues in the chimera ant arc)
- the explanation of nen
- animation
- kastro vs hisoka

BAD/NEGATIVE POINTS HXH 2011
- The realationship between gon and kite was modified
- color (DIGITAL ANIMATION: Colors used are based on light, not paint)

RELATIVE
- the Hunter exam was an average adaptation
- the excessive use of slow pace in some parts of Chimera ant arc, NOT all the chimera ant arc
Gintama: "The blade is not to cut down your enemies
Nor is it to cut away your own weakness
A sword isnt meant to protect your body
A sword is meant for protecting your soul"
Mar 30, 2015 6:46 PM
Sep 2009
Great ending, Meruem is definitely my fave in this arc.

Sadly over all, this arc lost my interest long time ago. I really liked it at the beginning, it had some intense moments and powerful enemies what drew me in but then things really changed. For one, I don't feel like that brother/sister ant got a proper conclusion. He was remembering his sister and I was waiting for his moment of realization and then bam, it got fully forgotten.

The arc fully dropped when the attack on palace started. You would expect final battle to be epic but it wasn't. It's like if anime turned into some sort of encyclopaedia. There were way too many commentaries even on the most basic stuff. It's like if we were suddenly taken for idiots. All of that talk took up way too much time and killed all of the excitement in battles, it just turned into a massive drag.

Meruem and Komugi moments were the only saving point and even those eventually were taken away.

So yeh, over all this was an average arc.
Apr 25, 2015 6:11 PM

Aug 2010
Ironstorm said:
Wow, didn't expect the episode to be so good.

I didn't really like the Chimera Ant arc to be honest. I thought it was way too long and would've been better if it was shorter. It had some great moments though and this final episode was one of the best episodes of the series in my opinion!

You took the words right out of my mouth.
May 19, 2015 1:10 PM

Jan 2015
someone hold me
May 24, 2015 3:22 PM

Mar 2015
That was a surprisingly great and heartbreaking end.
May 24, 2015 3:44 PM

Nov 2013
Well this whole anime is great, but there are things that keep it from being amazing. Also, I would have to say that the Chimera Ant arc is still the best arc of the series; not sure where people get the idea from saying that it is the worst – that’s like saying HxH is bad, because this arc takes almost half of all the anime. The first arc, the Hunter Exam, is close second though. Personally, for me, the Phantom Troupe is the least favorite arc. Greed Island only beats it because the of dodgeball fight.

We never got to see the king and the 3 guards really show off their “true” power. King vs. Netero we saw king getting beat, so we saw how good his defence was, but not physical attacks. Pitou was killed in an instant because of temporarily overpowered Gon. Youpi had a fight with the team, but they barely scratched him, so he never showed off his true power. Puof never even properly thought; just had his 6/7 power taken from him and that’s that. Pitou was the only one who seemed to have a good fight with Kite, but of course we didn’t see that. For a battle manga, there sure are few battle scenes.
HandsomeManMay 24, 2015 4:14 PM
May 24, 2015 4:55 PM

Jan 2014
HandsomeMan said:

For a battle manga, there sure are few battle scenes.

It would be a cliche now, but Hunter x Hunter is not your typical old shounen. It is a subversion of many tropes of the demographic, and thus it would never satisfy the generic shounen fans. This type of departing from shounen cliches is one of the typical stylistic choices of Togashi. He is fond of anti-climaxes.
F0XFIRE said:
OP 4 most butthurt bitch on MAL.

May 24, 2015 6:25 PM

Nov 2013
peeyaj said:
HandsomeMan said:

For a battle manga, there sure are few battle scenes.

It would be a cliche now, but Hunter x Hunter is not your typical old shounen. It is a subversion of many tropes of the demographic, and thus it would never satisfy the generic shounen fans. This type of departing from shounen cliches is one of the typical stylistic choices of Togashi. He is fond of anti-climaxes.

I see, never knew that. Although the first few arcs, especially the Hunter Exam felt very shounen.
May 24, 2015 6:58 PM

Aug 2014
HandsomeMan said:

King vs. Netero we saw king getting beat, so we saw how good his defence was, but not physical attacks.

We never got to see how good his actual defense was considering he only wanted to "disarm" Netero rather than killing him by only using his physicality instead of using his possible Nen capabilities.
May 24, 2015 7:27 PM

Jan 2014
HandsomeMan said:
peeyaj said:

I see, never knew that. Although the first few arcs, especially the Hunter Exam felt very shounen.

If you have a spare time, here is a very nice discussion :

peeyajMay 24, 2015 7:30 PM
F0XFIRE said:
OP 4 most butthurt bitch on MAL.

Jun 10, 2015 3:42 PM

Aug 2012
I fucking wept
Jun 13, 2015 3:49 AM

Jun 2015
I was not a big fan of this arc, tbh.

I had also unwittingly read spoilers about what was going to happen this episode.

I was still unprepared.

This episode was good.

It was almost too good, like I wished the entire arc had been this great. There had been plenty of boring moments and things I thought could have been sped up, but this ending was worthy of HxH.

It's ironic that Meruem is supposed to be the light, but it's in his dying moments when he's losing his sight that he is becoming filled with insights and with understanding of the meaning of life. This parallels Komugi, who is blind physically, yet is able to see insights that others aren't able to.
Jul 1, 2015 10:12 AM

Feb 2014
That was amazing! Meruem & Komugi... that ending was simply amazing!
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Jul 4, 2015 2:48 PM
Oct 2013
Just finished this episode, a lot of feels were there, especially when she held his hand and said goodnight to him,
many a tears were shed, all but in joy
~SAVETHEDAY~
Jul 6, 2015 9:49 AM

Nov 2009
yatabare said:
only tears..............T.T
R.I.P Meruem&Komugi
Pages (18) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 134 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2014

326 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 2:39 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 133 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 10, 2014

225 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 2:11 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

JusticeGundam - Oct 1, 2011

405 by prajwal- »»
Jun 13, 2:22 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

920 by Montayus »»
Jun 13, 8:02 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 146 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2014

335 by TheOtherJN »»
Jun 13, 5:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.