Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 2, 2013 1:31 PM
Sep 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, that was a good watch. I can't help but think it was too rushed though. Battle against the Elite Four lasted something like 1min, and battle against Green lasted 2min with Blastoise almost one-shoting Charizard with Hydro Pump, and Charizard one-shoting him back with Fire Blast... Oh, and that mega-evolution feels so wrong here, just for promotion. Eventually, Red caught Mewtwo using only 2 Ultra Balls after weakening him with Mega Punch. Kind of sucks.

Overall, I still enjoyed the 4 episodes. It could have been a lot better if it had more episodes, but well, we can't do anything about it. Anyway, it made me remember a lot of back then when I was playing Pokemon Red so I'm glad I watched it.

Now, I'm waiting for Pokemon X/Y to have my new Charizard ;<
Oct 2, 2013 5:31 PM

Oct 2009
That battle was intense. Loved it!
Oct 2, 2013 10:55 PM

Feb 2008
It's a shame that they rushed Elite Four and spent most of the screentime on Mewtwo. Perhaps they should have made a fifth segment with Mewtwo. Oh well, at least we had a sneak peek at Mega Charizard.

Overall, a fun fanservice special. They picked great parts to animate. Lavender Town part and of course, Charmander screaming are my favorite parts. Sadly, due to most of the development happening during the montage, I can't give it more than 6/10. It's a fun commercial, and reminded me a lot of that B2W2 commercial, except longer.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Oct 3, 2013 6:46 AM

Nov 2008
If this had been a 13 episodes series, it could have become great.

ZetaZaku said:
Sadly, due to most of the development happening during the montage, I can't give it more than 6/10.
Oct 3, 2013 6:55 AM

May 2008
Mega Charizard X fight was great. Overall a good pokemon special.
Oct 3, 2013 1:39 PM

Dec 2012
Really awesome special. I loved the music and the great animation!
I laughed so hard when Red was battling the Youngster with the Nidoran ♀ and his Charmander flew out of the pokeball tackling the Nidoran in one motion. That was just hilarious.

Also I noticed an error in the 3DS commercial at the end (it wasn't in the actual scene though):
http://i.imgur.com/lbRJJi1.jpg

For one split second, the ultra ball used to capture Mewtwo turned into a pokeball (or, judging from the lines, a red ultra ball) and then turned back.
JovyOct 3, 2013 1:44 PM
Oct 3, 2013 2:59 PM

Sep 2008
OGFG!!!!! my childhood is screaming!!! that was fucking awesome!! i had my doubts about mega evolution, BUT O MY GOD fucking amazing and epic!!

thanks to that game, the life of a lot changed, thi was beitifull, thank you pokemon company =D

Tacas said:
If this had been a 13 episodes series, it could have become great.

13? they should just let ash die, imean, look at the games, red is this cool, gold,silver,ruby,zaphire,pearl, diamond,nate and the others should have their own anime, then the pokemon franchise would realyy(and i mean more than now) sell
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Oct 4, 2013 7:50 AM

Apr 2013
Good anime, sadly it was rushed way too much... was really hoping that all the games will get their own anime adaptation, preferably in a much better pacing.

Red was so much more badass than Ash, saving Lavender Town by ousting Team Rocket, saving all the employees in Sylph Co., defeating Sakaki ultimately causing the disbandment of Team Rocket, and finally becoming the Pokemon Champion! And he caught all the 3 legendary birds and Mewtwo as well! ...all and all, much greater deeds than what Ash did all these years.

But the thing I liked the most in Pokemon Origins is how realistically they portray Red during the beginning of the journey: making newbie mistakes. Damn I loved the producers so much for going in such a direction.

7/10. Really wished it was longer. It was good while it lasted.
Lord_OdousOct 4, 2013 7:55 AM

Oct 4, 2013 11:07 AM

May 2013
Wow that mega evolution. Charizard looked badass. This was a good anime.
Oct 4, 2013 12:55 PM

Jul 2009
i will have no other choice than playing pokemon X now xD
bruh
Oct 4, 2013 12:57 PM

Jan 2008
Meh, this should've been a 13 episodes series. But oh well. I just hope they add another special where Red finds Mew under a truck :D
Oct 4, 2013 1:15 PM

May 2010
What were people expecting from a 4 episode special?

Sure I want more episodes but still, these were awesome and I enjoyed the stories they did focus on.
Oct 4, 2013 1:20 PM
Nov 2009
Mega Charizard? Caught Mewtwo with 2 balls? Ash ketchup where you at??

Although rushed as hell, I still enjoyed it a lot. 8/10
Oct 4, 2013 1:21 PM
Jan 2013
Loved every min i feel like playing pokemon red right now and then straight after i want to play pokemon x

wanted it to be 12 episodes though but what u gonna do

Much better than this Ash Ketchum bullshit that been showing
Oct 4, 2013 1:24 PM

Nov 2011
This did seem pretty rushed, i kinda wished they would've had full battle scenes or at least made them a little bit longer so i could enjoy them.

But either way i found this more enjoyable than the current pokemon anime. If only they used this formula when making anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 4, 2013 1:52 PM

Jan 2010
Hirouey said:
What were people expecting from a 4 episode special?

Sure I want more episodes but still, these were awesome and I enjoyed the stories they did focus on.

Yeah, this. There simply wasn't enough time to tell everything with a proper pacing. It's not the producers fault that they were given so little time to work with, so, considering the circumstances, they did a great job . Had this been a fully realized series, it would have been even better, but I'm still more satisfied than I imagined I would be with these specials. This is how I always imagined a proper Pokémon anime would look like. I'm not even saying they should follow the stories of the games 1:1, but they could at least make proper use of the villainous team, put more thought into the story, and just take the damn thing a little more seriously. It's a shame that, regardless of how well these specials do, I really doubt they will actually make a full series like this someday, because that would actually make the older fans happy and we can't have that happening.
Oct 4, 2013 2:02 PM

May 2013
Simply put, the advertisement for Pokemon X & Y was done badly. It felt jarring, especially with the talk of only 149 known Pokemon and Kalos in the same episode.
Oct 4, 2013 3:26 PM

Jan 2008
I liked how they kept Sabrina/Natsume's previous design.

Felt like a cop out that they had Charizard's mega evolution here, which is the latest bullshit they introduced to keep trying to milk us of our money...not so much from the origin now is it? I thought this was supposed to be based solely on the original 2 games, plus designs from the remakes of those two games, not the latest ones? Nothing nostalgic like having a brand new feature now, huh. Never really noticed it before but Pokemon is a lot like Apple. And you know what? I'm still going to be buying the latest game because I'm a tool.

MikskizO said:
Mega Charizard? Caught Mewtwo with 2 balls? Ash ketchup where you at??

More like "Ass Catch-up"...since we all know Ash is an ass-man, and secretly an old perverted pedophile dwarf that hangs out with little girls. He only wants us to think he's still 10, and all the other new characters won't suspect a thing, while the older ones can't say what they really think because the court and doctors (whom are most likely primarily pokemon veterinarians) probably deemed him to have a mental disorder to think he's still 10, but with the intelligence of a 4-year old...but we all know it's just an act.

Overall I liked these OVAs, but didn't love it...at least they didn't have Ash/Satoshi as the MC yet again unlike the new X/Y anime. Will it kill the creators/producers/directors to have a new main character like every game iteration has had for over 10 years? It's been long enough, and we need fresh blood. I bet the creators are closet pervs as well because they only include the new heroine girl from every game, but not the boys. They must think one is enough, so maybe that's the real reason why they don't kill off "Ash".
Estoy_GordoOct 4, 2013 3:45 PM
Oct 4, 2013 3:56 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Wow Red used Pokemon Ash would never even bother catching:
- Scyther
- Persian
- Dodrio
- Victreebel

Articuno vs Mewtwo: I liked how Mewtwo was portrayed as the strongest Pokemon in the world. Articuno was no match it for it.

I'll give this series a 7/10.

- Liked the Marowak/Team Rocket backstory, and it was also sad. Pokemon logic here: Ground Types are immune to Electric attacks so why did Marowak die? Could Rain Dance have been used to soak Marowak.

The Mewtwo vs Charizard battle was intense. One thing I noticed is that Red was not afraid to go head to head. Charizard used moves like Slash, Mega Punch.

Oct 4, 2013 4:00 PM

Aug 2012
I never in my life expected they would make something like these episodes, it's truly a dream come true. I know most people wish there was more, but I'm just really happy that these few episodes even exist, and I really doubt there will be any more. Of course these episodes weren't perfect and had their flaws, but they fulfilled my nostalgic wishes ...
Oct 4, 2013 4:51 PM

Oct 2013
This was a pretty cool special for only 4 episodes. I really enjoyed Giovanni vs Red, and Charizard X vs Mewtwo. Great effects for this special too.

It's a real bummer the current main Pokemon anime doesn't try to do things closer to the actual games.
Oct 4, 2013 5:30 PM

May 2013
The Fight With that Dark Charizard and Mewtwo is just awesome and i love how Blastoise Endure the punch of Charizard and used Hydropump
Oct 4, 2013 5:56 PM

Sep 2013
Mega evolution looks exactly like digimon digii-volving >.>
Oct 4, 2013 6:53 PM

Jul 2007
lx_theo said:
Simply put, the advertisement for Pokemon X & Y was done badly. It felt jarring, especially with the talk of only 149 known Pokemon and Kalos in the same episode.

I didnt notice while i was watching, but very very good point.
Oct 4, 2013 7:02 PM

Nov 2011
Good overall ova would of been much better if it was a season.
Alot was way to rushed but the animation was really top notch.
8/10
Oct 4, 2013 7:30 PM

Nov 2011
It was a really good specials. Its a shame that its quite short but there's nothing we can do about that.

I am not really a big fan of Pokemon but I really enjoyed it.

Now I can totally see why Red is much better than Ash.

Oct 4, 2013 7:51 PM

Mar 2012
That was one great final battle.

Ash = Retarded immortal Pedophile who always pick girls on other regions, always lose on Pokemon League all the time, His level 100 Pikachu always lose too, WHY DON`T YOU USE YOUR OLD POKEMON? also he haven`t caught any legendary pokemon, everytime he is trying to catch other pokemon, WHY DON`T YOU USE ULTRABALL INSTEAD?
Pokemon caught : 50+
Skill : Eternal Noob

Red = from Noob to Veteran Pokemon master, Best MC, Heroic.
Pokemon caught : 150
Skill : Pokemon Champion
4 years later, he is 14 years old, Become Pokemon League champion 5 times, and he caught 649 pokemon lol.

According to my calculations.
2013 - 1965 = 48

Satoshi Tajiri is now 48 years old, from what age should he stop making pokemon and let Ash win the Pokemon League for the first time? i am expecting 10th generation is the last generation of pokemon franchise.
GridleyOct 4, 2013 7:55 PM
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Oct 4, 2013 8:10 PM

Dec 2012
Lol Mew appeared at the end.
This is the first time we see the mega evolution in the anime. Red did good catching over 150 pokemon
Now I can't wait till Ash gets his Charizard back in towards end of Pokemon XY then he might win the Pokemon League for the first time. But I wish the pokemon league was like this unlike the tournament thing in the real anime
LightBladeNova said:
It makes me sad to know that still hardly anyone knows what a visual novel is, even in the anime community.
Oct 4, 2013 8:18 PM

Aug 2012
Intense battle, Mega Charizard was awesome. Red is awesome. Ash step your game up!
Oct 4, 2013 8:40 PM

Dec 2011
Aw... I thought it would be more of the part where he battles the Elite Four and Green. But it focused more on Mewtwo... and I don't mind that. And I see, those stones are for the Mega Evolutions after all.

Oh my God. I need to get Pokemon X!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 4, 2013 8:42 PM

Jan 2013
I really hope the start a new series with red or even someone new as the protagonist in the same style as these episodes.
Oct 4, 2013 9:50 PM

Feb 2012
Charizard is a straight beast!! Always has been my favorite pokemon... That megaevolution looked way better than the one from the game, it looked very similar to these pokemon cards I had back in 1999 in Japanese which I thought was fake who really knew they came out with megaevolution early in the days .I remember the first time I caught mew when i first entered cerulean and battled missingno for those rare candies in red version went all crazy! V
Oct 4, 2013 11:38 PM

Jan 2011
Felt like a mini sneak peak advertisement for X and Y lol but it was still enjoyable and nostalgic in a way!
Oct 4, 2013 11:58 PM

Apr 2013
Stop complaining that it should be a 13 episode series..

Be thankfull they even made this!
Oct 5, 2013 1:32 AM

Oct 2012
not going to promote mega Charzard Y ?
Oct 5, 2013 5:21 AM

Aug 2008
Oh wow, what a load of bull this episode was. They really skimmed over the whole game in less than 3,5 episodes just to show off that ridiculous Mega Evolution from 6th generation. I guess it was just a one long commercial.

Well, still better than TV series...
Ii tenki desu ne...
Oct 5, 2013 5:33 AM

Dec 2012
I don't really get why people loved this so much. It only had 4 episodes so it didn't have nearly enough time to show even a decent portion of the pokemon red and blue/green journey. I'm guessing it was mainly for all the nostalgia of playing the first game that people liked it so much which I can sorta understand but at the same time doesn't make sense since they changed several things. Particularly in this episode with the Mega evolution for Charizard which completely took me out of the moment while watching the episode and just reminded me that the only reason why this anime was made was to be an advertisement for X and Y.
Oct 5, 2013 7:32 AM

Sep 2008
the thing loved the most in this series was MUSIC.. omg amazing upgraded gameboy music <3 <3 <3 ahh nostalgia~

It was WAY WAY better than Ash journey but it wasn't better than first Pokemon series with Ash !!
In the first series Ash was phoning professor and mum (here mum said just "bye" lol..), was giving his Pokemons food, met some friends (Brock and Misty ahhh <3), his Pikachu really was stronger and stronger, loved his Pokemons and we could see them in Professor Oak's laboratory (for example when Professor was playing with Muk lol). So yup in the matter of:
Ash vs Red - Red WINS TOTALLY
this series vs original first series - first series wins :3

of course with 100+ episodes it would be as good as first series, I'm pretty sure :P
oxo.anime.xox.manga.oxo.
Oct 5, 2013 8:24 AM

Sep 2012
That was some major spoiler of the 6th generation for all those old school lovers which didnt bother check out anything post 1st gen :/ but oh well~ sure is not getting use to the blue Charizard~~

BUT REGARDLESS!! I am happy because Reina appeared again! :D I wanna bring her home >< the Cubone can come too :p
Oct 5, 2013 8:50 AM

Jul 2007
Yeah, as many say this was pretty rushed. Though, I believe it did a great work for only four episodes!

Someday this should be made as a regular series, that would be like the best thing ever. Meanwhile let's imagine Red's face when he discovers that his 150 Pokémons are not even half of current's Pokedex!
Oct 5, 2013 9:37 AM

Mar 2011
Wow I wish the anime was like this to begin with. Shame it is only 4 episodes.

Well they had to have a cheeky mega in there, so there real plan was to sell off their new mega's huh ;O. But well that was epic, so i'll let them off.

But Mewtwo was literally a child of mew? or was he created? I forget what is game and anime logic now xD. Did Mr Fuji create Mewtwo, or just know about the orbs?
"When everyone else is about to give up, the fighter who becomes the role model, is the true Leader."

Oct 5, 2013 12:29 PM

Mar 2008
9/10, the whole thing was amazing. Far better than anything the crap series pokemon has become.
Oct 5, 2013 12:46 PM
Mar 2012
This was fucking badass.
Oct 5, 2013 1:25 PM

Jun 2009
I really enjoyed every minute if this being a pokemon newb it is cool to see the start in a way.
Oct 5, 2013 1:47 PM

Aug 2011
Seemed like a cheap promotion near the end, but it was still a very good series compared to whatever the hell excuse of an anime the current series is. The nostalgia of Pokemon is sooo good, and Red>>>>>>>>Ash
Oct 5, 2013 2:02 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
X & Y MEGA-EVOLUTION.

Product placement :)
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Oct 5, 2013 2:19 PM

Dec 2007
I'm not a fan of Ash, but Red annoyed the hell out of me. How could he be THAT noob by the beginning? "He was 10" or something is not an excuse. He lives in that Pokémon world, watching Pokémon battles since he was a baby... and he didn't even know about the basic types like fire and water (which are actually intuitive).

The animation was really nice, but the focus on Mr. Fuji and all that Mega-Evolution plot just wasn't right. My childhood wasn't like that.

I'd still love to see all the games animated to see how the character's personalities would be like and get nostalgic, but leave the Mega-Evolution for the 6th generation where it belongs.
Oct 5, 2013 3:03 PM
Oct 2009
The first episode was a glorious blast of nostalgia, but then somewhere along the way it went all wrong, skipped all the good parts (Laaaaaaaaaaance!!!) and Red was just so ridiculously stupid I actually had to facepalm at the end when he was like 'oh yeah, Mew' >>

And I just couldn't stop having that awful feeling about Green, cause he's just as determined and righteous as Red but he never gets what he wants and his own grandpa likes Red better and is like 'Red you're awesome you realized my life-long dream I love you' when his own grandson is lying in bed covered in bruises right next to him!

Sure, the fight scenes were cool, but they showed Red as such an annoying brat (possibly maybe worse than Satoshi??)
Oct 5, 2013 4:24 PM

Nov 2011
The opponent for Red in this match was so damn predictable tbh. I was looking forward to him fighting someone else. The match also felt rushed tbh with predictable results. Wait Mega Evolution? ...huh?

The fight was okay but again rushed..*sigh*. Mewtoo could of done way more than just Recover, some esper powers, etc.

Overall, rating this a 5/10. It bought me back nostalgia but too condensed into just 2 hours.
Oct 5, 2013 4:37 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Stark700 said:
Wait Mega Evolution? ...huh?

New game feature from 6th generation games X & Y.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon: The Origin Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HiyuuT - Oct 2, 2013

131 by PrOxAnto »»
Dec 28, 2023 10:17 AM

Poll: » Pokemon: The Origin Episode 3 Discussion

Jialyn - Oct 2, 2013

49 by Nerdason »»
Nov 1, 2023 5:42 PM

Poll: » Pokemon: The Origin Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

belatkuro - Oct 2, 2013

102 by Nerdason »»
Oct 31, 2023 4:07 PM

» End Theme

jawsome274 - Apr 18, 2020

0 by jawsome274 »»
Apr 18, 2020 6:13 PM

» So.... Who's feeling sad about Bulbasaur?

ZeraX - Nov 3, 2016

11 by ZeraX »»
Jan 23, 2017 8:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.